inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2017 MLB Season

Written By: nally on 02/26/17 at 6:42 pm

Spring training is already underway... and the regular season begins in early April.

So I thought I'd begin the new MLB thread!

Will the Cubs return to the postseason and repeat as champs? Or will another team steal the show?

Subject: Re: 2017 MLB Season

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/26/17 at 7:07 pm

I wouldn't really mind any other team winning the World Series, aside from the Cubs. After they won it all in early November, I never got that excited over the World Series after that. But I hope the other 29 teams have a good season ahead of them. Even if they don't do well. Although, I don't wanna jinx any of them during the regular season, since I'm afraid they'll might do bad if I say anything.

Written By: nally on 02/26/17 at 7:11 pm

I know the feeling. For me, I will hope that the Dodgers do well, as they are my team, but it's anyone's guess as to how well they'll do pitching-wise. Kershaw will be their opening day starter (for the 7th straight year), but the other guys in the rotation will likely be people such as Kenta Maeda, Rich Hill, and Alex Wood (but some of the other guys are questionable at this point).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/26/17 at 8:07 pm

I know the feeling. For me, I will hope that the Dodgers do well, as they are my team, but it's anyone's guess as to how well they'll do pitching-wise. Kershaw will be their opening day starter (for the 7th straight year), but the other guys in the rotation will likely be people such as Kenta Maeda, Rich Hill, and Alex Wood (but some of the other guys are questionable at this point).

I don't know if the Dodgers might do okay. Sure, they might win a playoff berth this year, but it could take a lot of challenges for them. Even if they get another winning season with over 90 games, it may take a while for them to do that.

Written By: nally on 02/26/17 at 9:09 pm

I don't know if the Dodgers might do okay. Sure, they might win a playoff berth this year, but it could take a lot of challenges for them. Even if they get another winning season with over 90 games, it may take a while for them to do that.

Right; you never know how well a team will do until the season is played out. Of course, every team's goal is to do well and get into the postseason.

And if my team doesn't get in, then I will decide on a team to root for.

But like I said, all the games must be played first.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/26/17 at 9:26 pm

Right; you never know how well a team will do until the season is played out. Of course, every team's goal is to do well and get into the postseason.

And if my team doesn't get in, then I will decide on a team to root for.

But like I said, all the games must be played first.

Even though I'm not extremely excited for baseball this year, I wish the Dodgers good luck. Maybe the NL East could also do better, as they never got an iconic team aside from the Mets.

Written By: nally on 03/04/17 at 2:33 pm

Anyways, I have kept tabs on some of the Spring Training games (particularly those involving the Dodgers).

And of course, some MLB players will be partaking in the World Baseball Classic, starting on Monday. I will probably discuss that in LSTE.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 2:40 pm

I'll most likely keep in track with the spring training games, since they're more entertaining to watch in my opinion.

Written By: nally on 03/04/17 at 2:45 pm

I'll most likely keep in track with the spring training games, since they're more entertaining to watch in my opinion.

Yeah, some of them are... even though I don't get to see any involving my local team. However, later this month we are going to finally get the SportsnetLA channel so that we can finally start watching the games. (This will be just in time for the pre-season games that the Dodgers will play with the Angels right before the start of the regular season.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 2:49 pm

Yeah, some of them are... even though I don't get to see any involving my local team. However, later this month we are going to finally get the SportsnetLA channel so that we can finally start watching the games. (This will be just in time for the pre-season games that the Dodgers will play with the Angels right before the start of the regular season.)

They're finally getting that on non-Time Warner Cable subscribers? Damn it. Now I really wish I had NY1 (my favorite local news channel), if they could finally air it on non-TWC cable boxes.

Written By: nally on 03/04/17 at 2:52 pm

They're finally getting that on non-Time Warner Cable subscribers? Damn it. Now I really wish I had NY1 (my favorite local news channel), if they could finally air it on non-TWC cable boxes.

No. Time Warner Cable has been renamed Spectrum, and my family has researched pricing options (since our contract with Frontier FIOS (formerly Verizon FIOS, our service provider for the past 8 1/2 years) is almost expired)... and we found that Spectrum has better rates than Frontier.

Not sure if Spectrum has made a deal with other service providers, such as DISH, although I thought something like that had been in the works a year or two ago.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 2:59 pm

No. Time Warner Cable has been renamed Spectrum, and my family has researched pricing options (since our contract with Frontier FIOS (formerly Verizon FIOS, our service provider for the past 8 1/2 years) is almost expired)... and we found that Spectrum has better rates than Frontier.

Not sure if Spectrum has made a deal with other service providers, such as DISH, although I thought something like that had been in the works a year or two ago.

Oh. That sucks. My parents still have Verizon FIOS, since they still think it's better than Time Warner Cable. We even have people from TWC come to our house before they were renamed as Spectrum. But I think they'll never really switch to Spectrum, because we don't really watch TV that much. My dad is the only one who regularly watches TV, and it's the reason why we still have cable. I honestly thought that SportsNetLA actually got a better deal with non-Spectrum subscribers, but it still sucks.

Written By: nally on 03/04/17 at 3:03 pm

Oh. That sucks. My parents still have Verizon FIOS, since they still think it's better than Time Warner Cable. We even have people from TWC come to our house before they were renamed as Spectrum. But I think they'll never really switch to Spectrum, because we don't really watch TV that much. My dad is the only one who regularly watches TV, and it's the reason why we still have cable. I honestly thought that SportsNetLA actually got a better deal with non-Spectrum subscribers, but it still sucks.

Yeah, we thought so too, when we switched from Time Warner to Verizon FIOS in June of 2008. But now that TWC has been bought out by Spectrum, things have changed (at least in California). So we'll get to actually see the Dodger games now! (However, it won't be the same without Vinny.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/04/17 at 3:06 pm

Yeah, we thought so too, when we switched from Time Warner to Verizon FIOS in June of 2008. But now that TWC has been bought out by Spectrum, things have changed (at least in California). So we'll get to actually see the Dodger games now! (However, it won't be the same without Vinny.)

The only reason why my family switched to Verizon FIOS was because they had slow Internet in 2010. Considering I used the Internet so much, it was a pain in the ass back then. So they switched to FIOS later that year, and we used it ever since.

Written By: nally on 03/19/17 at 10:54 pm

During spring training, certain MLB teams have faced off against national teams representing other countries (for example, yesterday the Netherlands team played the Arizona Diamondbacks; today the Japan team played the L.A. Dodgers), possibly since these international teams are currently involved in the WBC.

But the regular season begins in two weeks' time!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/20/17 at 6:09 am

During spring training, certain MLB teams have faced off against national teams representing other countries (for example, yesterday the Netherlands team played the Arizona Diamondbacks; today the Japan team played the L.A. Dodgers), possibly since these international teams are currently involved in the WBC.

But the regular season begins in two weeks' time!

Like I said back in 2013, I just hope this year's World Baseball Classic might end soon.

Written By: nally on 03/23/17 at 11:59 pm

^ It did, last night. I even posted the final result on LSTE; the U.S. defeated Puerto Rico for the championship. Most of the players on both of those countries' teams are probably excited to get back to their respective MLB spring training facilities to resume normal activities.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/24/17 at 5:32 am

^ It did, last night. I even posted the final result on LSTE; the U.S. defeated Puerto Rico for the championship. Most of the players on both of those countries' teams are probably excited to get back to their respective MLB spring training facilities to resume normal activities.

:D Well at least the U.S. won the championship.

Written By: nally on 03/27/17 at 11:14 pm

Now only one week til the regular season begins!! (Although a few teams will actually begin play on Sunday night the 2nd.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/28/17 at 2:43 pm

Now only one week til the regular season begins!! (Although a few teams will actually begin play on Sunday night the 2nd.)

Will the Mets be one of them, since they had a weird schedule during spring training?

Written By: nally on 03/29/17 at 12:02 am

Will the Mets be one of them, since they had a weird schedule during spring training?

Nope. They open up on Monday for a day game against the Atlanta Braves.

The three pairs of teams that will open the season on Sunday April 2nd:

Yankees at Rays (day game)
Giants at Diamondbacks (day game)
Cubs at Cardinals (night game)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/29/17 at 6:12 am

Nope. They open up on Monday for a day game against the Atlanta Braves.

The three pairs of teams that will open the season on Sunday April 2nd:

Yankees at Rays (day game)
Giants at Diamondbacks (day game)
Cubs at Cardinals (night game)

Okay then. At least they would just be average throughout the season.

Written By: nally on 03/30/17 at 6:19 pm

Now I can watch the games on SportsNetLA! (Today the guys from the Spectrum installation came by to install our new system.)

This includes the preseason games that start tonight; Dodgers take on the Angels at Angel Stadium tonight and tomorrow, then at Dodger Stadium on Saturday. These games don't count for anything, but it's just an exhibition series played before the start of the regular season.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/17 at 6:41 pm

Now I can watch the games on SportsNetLA! (Today the guys from the Spectrum installation came by to install our new system.)

This includes the preseason games that start tonight; Dodgers take on the Angels at Angel Stadium tonight and tomorrow, then at Dodger Stadium on Saturday. These games don't count for anything, but it's just an exhibition series played before the start of the regular season.

Well good luck with that. Reminds me of when my family still had Time Warner Cable, before they switched to Verizon Fios in late 2010.

Written By: nally on 03/30/17 at 6:47 pm

Well good luck with that. Reminds me of when my family still had Time Warner Cable, before they switched to Verizon Fios in late 2010.

Yeah, we had switched from Time Warner to Verizon Fios in June 2008... but now, after 8 3/4 years, we switched "back", although Time Warner was renamed Spectrum within the last year.

Anyways, I'll see if I can watch a ballgame tonight. If I get bored with it, I'll watch somethin' else.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 03/30/17 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, we had switched from Time Warner to Verizon Fios in June 2008... but now, after 8 3/4 years, we switched "back", although Time Warner was renamed Spectrum within the last year.

Anyways, I'll see if I can watch a ballgame tonight. If I get bored with it, I'll watch somethin' else.

I'm not sure if renaming them as "Spectrum" was a great business decision. I still see them as Time Warner Cable, although it might take a while to see the changes. However, TWC was way different back in the mid-late 2000s from my experiences.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 11:40 am

Tomorrow starts the first day of the 2017 regular season. After last year's dramatic season, I wonder what might happen this year. The only things in which I think is different this year is that Matt Holliday is now playing with the Yankees, and the Cubs are going to play their first season since they won the WS in over 100 years.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 12:43 pm

I'm not sure if renaming them as "Spectrum" was a great business decision. I still see them as Time Warner Cable, although it might take a while to see the changes. However, TWC was way different back in the mid-late 2000s from my experiences.

I thought maybe it was a buyout or something, like cable companies have been doing over the years.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 12:45 pm

Tomorrow starts the first day of the 2017 regular season. After last year's dramatic season, I wonder what might happen this year.

I often say that at the start of every season.

The only things in which I think is different this year is that Matt Holliday is now playing with the Yankees, and the Cubs are going to play their first season since they won the WS in over 100 years.

LOTS of players will be playing for new teams this year. Speaking of the Yankees, Aroldis Chapman is returning to them after spending half a season with them last year (he was traded to the Cubs in late July); only this year he's signed a multi-year contract.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 1:01 pm

I thought maybe it was a buyout or something, like cable companies have been doing over the years.

I think they still make it as a buyout. When we had FiOS, Time Warner kept telling us to switch over, even though my family was better with FiOS. I told them to leave us alone, and their salespeople never came up to our house again.

LOTS of players will be playing for new teams this year. Speaking of the Yankees, Aroldis Chapman is returning to them after spending half a season with them last year (he was traded to the Cubs in late July); only this year he's signed a multi-year contract.

Damn. So I guess the Yankees might have a semi-strong team this year.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 7:19 pm

I think they still make it as a buyout. When we had FiOS, Time Warner kept telling us to switch over, even though my family was better with FiOS. I told them to leave us alone, and their salespeople never came up to our house again.

That sorta thing has happened with certain companies trying to get us to switch over as well. But this year our contract with FIOS was up, and we were exploring our options. We chose to get Spectrum since they had a better deal.

That all said, we can now watch the Dodgers games, although it won't really be the same without Vinny. (But at least we can see the games on television now.)

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 7:20 pm

Damn. So I guess the Yankees might have a semi-strong team this year.

On paper it sure seems that way. Especially with star catcher Gary Sanchez entering his first full year in MLB. (Remember that he debuted in the latter part of the season and hit lots of home runs...and was even a finalist for AL Rookie of the Year.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 7:46 pm

That all said, we can now watch the Dodgers games, although it won't really be the same without Vinny. (But at least we can see the games on television now.)

You probably should've switch to TWC (still calling it as that) last year. Maybe seeing Vinny broadcast the last few Dodgers games on TV would've been more exciting from your perspective.

On paper it sure seems that way. Especially with star catcher Gary Sanchez entering his first full year in MLB. (Remember that he debuted in the latter part of the season and hit lots of home runs...and was even a finalist for AL Rookie of the Year.)

Then it would've been a new era for the Yankees since Jeter and Rivera retired in 2013 and 2014.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 7:50 pm

You probably should've switch to TWC (still calling it as that) last year. Maybe seeing Vinny broadcast the last few Dodgers games on TV would've been more exciting from your perspective.

We thought of that, but we were still fine with FIOS (actually, Frontier, since they changed in '15 or so) at the time. Plus, toward the end of the season, KTLA (a local broadcast channel in Los Angeles) carried some of the games, particularly the last home series (vs Rockies) and the last series of the season (at Giants).

Then it would've been a new era for the Yankees since Jeter and Rivera retired in 2013 and 2014.

In a sense, yes. Of course, the games have to be played first!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 7:57 pm

We thought of that, but we were still fine with FIOS (actually, Frontier, since they changed in '15 or so) at the time. Plus, toward the end of the season, KTLA (a local broadcast channel in Los Angeles) carried some of the games, particularly the last home series (vs Rockies) and the last series of the season (at Giants).

Having sports channels wasn't a big deal to my family (except to my dad). But we were lucky that we still kept SNY (the local broadcast channel for the Mets) and YES (the cable broadcast channel for the Yankees), since Time Warner Cable didn't provide sports channels for New York.

Written By: nally on 04/01/17 at 8:15 pm

Sports channels hadn't really been a big deal to my family either, but when TWC launched the SportsNetLA channel at the beginning of 2014 and started to exclusively televise Dodger games, we (and other Dodger fans alike) were kinda pissed about it, and we weren't ready to switch over to TWC because we'd had TWC before switching over to FIOS in 2008, and our then-experience with TWC wasn't very good because they kept changing the rates and stuff. But now that TWC is now Spectrum, there's a different feel to it.

By the way, the final exhibition game between the Angels and Dodgers is now starting, so pretty soon I'm probably gonna go down and start watching it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/01/17 at 8:27 pm

Sports channels hadn't really been a big deal to my family either, but when TWC launched the SportsNetLA channel at the beginning of 2014 and started to exclusively televise Dodger games, we (and other Dodger fans alike) were kinda pissed about it, and we weren't ready to switch over to TWC because we'd had TWC before switching over to FIOS in 2008, and our then-experience with TWC wasn't very good because they kept changing the rates and stuff. But now that TWC is now Spectrum, there's a different feel to it.

Well, even if it did change to Spectrum, I don't think my family will ever switch because they don't really watch TV that much (except for my dad). Even I don't watch it that much, since there isn't anything good on.

By the way, the final exhibition game between the Angels and Dodgers is now starting, so pretty soon I'm probably gonna go down and start watching it.

Alright. Even though it's still spring training, good luck with them.

Written By: nally on 04/02/17 at 6:42 pm

Okay, on the first day of the regular season in 2017, the Rays downed the Yankees 7-3, and the Dbacks came from behind to beat the Giants 6-5.

Cubs @ Cardinals kicks off in less than an hour.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 6:53 pm

Okay, on the first day of the regular season in 2017, the Rays downed the Yankees 7-3, and the Dbacks came from behind to beat the Giants 6-5.

Well, there's 161 more games to go for the modern Bronx Bombers.

Written By: nally on 04/02/17 at 6:58 pm

Well, there's 161 more games to go for the modern Bronx Bombers.

Same with the other five teams that play today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 7:02 pm

Same with the other five teams that play today.

But I guess Game 1 of their regular season was just the beginning. Most championship teams usually get better by May or June.

Written By: nally on 04/02/17 at 7:05 pm

But I guess Game 1 of their regular season was just the beginning. Most championship teams usually get better by May or June.

Any team can go in any direction at the beginning of the season. We'll just see how well they play out.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 7:08 pm

Any team can go in any direction at the beginning of the season. We'll just see how well they play out.

Or unless they trade their star player during the All-Star Break.

Written By: nally on 04/02/17 at 7:09 pm

Or unless they trade their star player during the All-Star Break.

Yep, some teams could do that too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/02/17 at 7:12 pm

Yep, some teams could do that too.

I'm just gonna see if the Mets do okay or not. Regardless if they go to the playoffs this year, they'll probably just stick in with maybe 2nd or 3rd place this year.

Written By: nally on 04/03/17 at 7:41 pm

Dodgers got their season off to a good start this afternoon. Kershaw gave up an unearned run in the first inning, but the team exploded for 14 runs, including 4 homers (a grand slam by Joc Pederson, two longballs by Yasmani Grandal, and a three-run shot by Cory Seager). So in seven Opening Day starts, Kershaw is 5-0, while the team is 7-0. (Kersh got two no-decisions, but the team eventually won.)

Written By: nally on 04/05/17 at 12:49 pm

...and Dodgers got goose-egged yesterday. >:( Padres pitcher Clayton Richard, in his second stint with the team, pitched well.

Written By: nally on 04/06/17 at 7:31 pm

Dodgers win 3 of 4 at home from the Padres. Tomorrow they hit the road, and go to Coors Field (to play a Rockies team that just won a series in Milwaukee) and then to Wrigley Field (to play the defending champion Chicago Cubs).

Written By: nally on 04/07/17 at 12:22 pm

A funny thing happened in yesterday's Cubs-Cardinals game:

A Cubs batter struck out swinging on a pitch that bounced; he then ran to first base, but Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina could not find the ball anywhere! He finally discovered it was stuck to his chest protector; by the time he found it there, the Cubs batter was already safe at first.

http://fox2now.com/2017/04/06/must-see-baseball-gets-stuck-to-yadier-molinas-chest-protector-during-game/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/07/17 at 12:51 pm

The Mets are going to face the Marlins starting today at 7:10 EST.

Written By: nally on 04/07/17 at 12:57 pm

^I take it the Mets are your team?

Matt Harvey seemed to do fairly well in his return to the mound yesterday, after being sidelined for a good part of last year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/07/17 at 1:33 pm

^I take it the Mets are your team?

Matt Harvey seemed to do fairly well in his return to the mound yesterday, after being sidelined for a good part of last year.

I'll might focus on the Mets this year, since they might have something special.

Written By: nally on 04/07/17 at 11:28 pm

I'll might focus on the Mets this year, since they might have something special.

Well, they lost today, to the Marlins. But hey, it's still early in the season.

Written By: nally on 04/07/17 at 11:30 pm

Dudgers also lost, 2-1 in Colorado. That's kind of a low score for a game played at Coors Field, though. Runs obviously were at a premium, due to defensiveness and/or inability to score runners in key situations.

Written By: nally on 04/09/17 at 9:02 pm

Last night Clayton Kershaw was NOT at his best, and the LAD ended up losing.

Today, however, they turned things around and beat the Rockies, 10-6, to avert a sweep in Denver. Now it is on to Chicago to face the defending World Series champion Cubs (who are off to a pretty good start thus far in 2017).

Written By: nally on 04/10/17 at 1:09 pm

They won last night against the Marlins, 5-2.

Edinson Volquez was the starting pitcher for Miami; he last faced the Mets as a member of the Kansas City Royals, in Game Five of the 2015 World Series, also in Citi Field. That was the clinching game of the series. He did so-so on that night, but not so well at all last night.

Written By: nally on 04/11/17 at 5:28 pm

...and the Dodgers-Cubs game got started late, due to inclement weather. Cubs eventually won, walkoff style. (Bad news for Dodger fans such as myself.)

Written By: nally on 04/12/17 at 11:41 pm

Cubs team personnel all got their official World Series Rings presented to them before tonight's game... in which they were eventually blanked by the Dodgers. Andrew Toles led off the game with a home run... and the score remained 1-nothing until the 9th inning, when Toles swung and missed on a pitch that should have been the third out, but the ball got away and the Cubs catcher could not throw it cleanly to first base; Chase Utley had been off and running on the pitch; he scored the second run.

Written By: nally on 04/14/17 at 5:07 pm

For the past week or so, Dodgers have been on kind of a "seesaw"; that is, they win one day and lose the next day...

And so, through their first ten games, they are break-even at 5 and 5.

Written By: nally on 04/15/17 at 2:24 pm

Last night at Dodger Stadium, it was a battle of two ace pitchers who both have won Cy Young awards... AND both of them were teammates on the Dodgers from 2013 thru 2015. I'm talking about Clayton Kershaw (who is still with the Dodgers) and Zack Greinke (who is now in his second season with the Arizona Dbacks). The game was scoreless until the 3rd inning, when the Dodgers broke through... and proceeded to rough up Greinke, who only lasted five innings. He ended up losing, and Kershaw went 8 1/3, not giving up a run until the 9th inning. Dodgers won the game, 7 to 1, to get back up above .500 mark again.

Written By: nally on 04/17/17 at 2:36 pm

In today's Patriots Day game, Red Sox defeat the Rays 4-3.

Written By: nally on 04/19/17 at 12:54 pm

Starling Marte of the Pirates is the latest player to receive an 80 game suspension for PEDs. :o

Written By: nally on 04/22/17 at 11:52 am

MadBum to D.L. for fooling around with a dirtbike. ::) This will be his first ever stint on the DL in his big league career.

Which means the Dudgers will not be facing him in the upcoming series in San Fran.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 2:18 pm

So... the Mets went through a 4-game losing streak (a sweep against the Marlins included). I don't know if I should give up yet, since it's only April and the division race doesn't really happen until June.

Written By: nally on 04/22/17 at 2:37 pm

Yeah, that's when many division/playoff races start to take shape.

I just hope that the DUDgers can get back on the winning track. Part of their current problem is their pitching; most of their starters aren't as reliable as Kershaw (ie, they can't seem to go five innings without giving up runs...and yesterday their bullpen opened the floodgates in the 8th inning). They will need to make adjustments this season.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 2:46 pm

Yeah, that's when many division/playoff races start to take shape.

I just hope that the DUDgers can get back on the winning track. Part of their current problem is their pitching; most of their starters aren't as reliable as Kershaw (ie, they can't seem to go five innings without giving up runs...and yesterday their bullpen opened the floodgates in the 8th inning). They will need to make adjustments this season.

I could say the same with the Mets, since they aren't doing well with most of their players. It's a problem to the point where even the worst NL East teams can easily beat them now.

Written By: nally on 04/22/17 at 7:59 pm

I could say the same with the Mets, since they aren't doing well with most of their players. It's a problem to the point where even the worst NL East teams can easily beat them now.

I know the feeling with the "worst" NL West teams. I still believe their pitching needs adjustment; I dunno why they couldn't have pursued better starters/relievers during the offseason.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/22/17 at 8:38 pm

I know the feeling with the "worst" NL West teams. I still believe their pitching needs adjustment; I dunno why they couldn't have pursued better starters/relievers during the offseason.

I feel like the Mets haven't done any good since they moved to Citi Field, or at least since Terry Collins was their manager. Their only good seasons since he became manager was 2015 and 2016. Aside from that, they have never done good.

Written By: nally on 04/22/17 at 11:50 pm

I feel like the Mets haven't done any good since they moved to Citi Field, or at least since Terry Collins was their manager. Their only good seasons since he became manager was 2015 and 2016. Aside from that, they have never done good.

Yep, because those were the years he led the team into the postseason. In '15 they won the NL pennant and in '16 they made an early exit by getting blanked in the Wild Card Game.

Written By: nally on 04/22/17 at 11:57 pm

Oh, and I'm still frustrated with the Dudgers. >:(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 12:08 pm

Yep, because those were the years he led the team into the postseason. In '15 they won the NL pennant and in '16 they made an early exit by getting blanked in the Wild Card Game.

Yet, they still had decent players those years. Now they're at 4th place in the NL East and they lost more games than they won now.

Written By: nally on 04/23/17 at 6:34 pm

Yet, they still had decent players those years. Now they're at 4th place in the NL East and they lost more games than they won now.

Dodgers also have a losing record right now (unfortunately) but at least they won their game today, averting a sweep in the desert. Now they go up to San Francisco to face a Giants team that is in the basement of the NL West right now (they just got swept by the Rockies in Denver).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/23/17 at 8:26 pm

Dodgers also have a losing record right now (unfortunately) but at least they won their game today, averting a sweep in the desert. Now they go up to San Francisco to face a Giants team that is in the basement of the NL West right now (they just got swept by the Rockies in Denver).

Well, they've been at 3rd place for a while. Unlike the Mets, who've been suffering from various NL East teams that keep kicking their asses.

Written By: nally on 04/23/17 at 10:03 pm

Well, they've been at 3rd place for a while. Unlike the Mets, who've been suffering from various NL East teams that keep kicking their asses.

True that; Arizona and Colorado have been the top two teams in NL West for much of the first month of the season.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/24/17 at 7:42 pm

True that; Arizona and Colorado have been the top two teams in NL West for much of the first month of the season.

I wouldn't blame them. They haven't been doing well since the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Written By: nally on 04/24/17 at 10:24 pm

I wouldn't blame them. They haven't been doing well since the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Well, ten years ago, back in 2007, the Dbacks won the division, with the Rockies taking the NL wildcard spot. That's when the Rockies were on that surge. And the two teams met up in the NLCS, with the Rockies sweeping... and losing their momentum once the World Series began. (They were swept by Boston.)

Written By: nally on 04/25/17 at 11:56 pm

Tigers walloped the Mariners today in Detroit, 19 to 9. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 10:16 am

Well, ten years ago, back in 2007, the Dbacks won the division, with the Rockies taking the NL wildcard spot. That's when the Rockies were on that surge. And the two teams met up in the NLCS, with the Rockies sweeping... and losing their momentum once the World Series began. (They were swept by Boston.)

Well 2007 was the only year in which the Rockies were actually good. They kicked ass during the NLDS and NLCS of that year, but they were slumping throughout the entire World Series. The Red Sox were a stronger powerhouse though, which is why they won the WS that year.

Written By: nally on 04/26/17 at 1:36 pm

Well 2007 was the only year in which the Rockies were actually good. They kicked ass during the NLDS and NLCS of that year, but they were slumping throughout the entire World Series. The Red Sox were a stronger powerhouse though, which is why they won the WS that year.

In '09 the Rockies also did well (after changing their manager in May of that year), and ended up winning the NL wildcard (behind the Dodgers).

Don't forget too, with regard to the 2007 postseason, that the Rockies swept the Dbacks in the NLCS, but had to wait 9 more days to start the World Series (and I still think their momentum diminished due in part to that). The Redsox, on the other hand, took the ALCS the distance and defeated the Cleveland Indians in 7... which might be why they were a "strong powerhouse"; they only needed to wait 3 days before the WS started.

Written By: nally on 04/26/17 at 1:38 pm

Flash forward to this year... the Dodgers got back on the winning track last nite to defeat the Giants 2-1 (a day after the Giants beat them by the same score). Kershaw seemed to struggle a bit in the early innings, but he went 7 innings and struck out 7 batters to earn the W.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 1:48 pm

In '09 the Rockies also did well (after changing their manager in May of that year), and ended up winning the NL wildcard (behind the Dodgers).

Except they haven't really did good in the playoffs, when they got beaten by the Phillies in the NLDS that year.

Don't forget too, with regard to the 2007 postseason, that the Rockies swept the Dbacks in the NLCS, but had to wait 9 more days to start the World Series (and I still think their momentum diminished due in part to that). The Redsox, on the other hand, took the ALCS the distance and defeated the Cleveland Indians in 7... which might be why they were a "strong powerhouse"; they only needed to wait 3 days before the WS started.

It's a strange coincidence though because every time an MLB team sweeps in a playoff series, they always get beaten in the next one. The 2012 Detroit Tigers and 2015 New York Mets are great examples, since they swept their opponent teams in the NL/ALCS and lost in the World Series with barely any games

Written By: nally on 04/26/17 at 2:34 pm

Except they haven't really did good in the playoffs, when they got beaten by the Phillies in the NLDS that year.

True. They made an early exit. The best postseason that the Rockies have had in their team history was probably '07, when they won the NL pennant.

It's a strange coincidence though because every time an MLB team sweeps in a playoff series, they always get beaten in the next one. The 2012 Detroit Tigers and 2015 New York Mets are great examples, since they swept their opponent teams in the NL/ALCS and lost in the World Series with barely any games

Yep, the 2012 Tigers swept the Yankees in the ALCS, only to get swept by the Giants in that year's World Series.

And the 2015 Mets swept the Cubs in the NLCS, and lost the WS to the Royals in 5 games (winning only the third game).

However, some teams that sweep an LDS can win an LCS, especially if both halves of one league's LDS get swept. Case in point, both ALDSes last year were swept (Indians swept Red Sox, while Blue Jays swept Rangers).

Written By: nally on 04/26/17 at 2:35 pm

True. They made an early exit. The best postseason that the Rockies have had in their team history was probably '07, when they won the NL pennant.

And this year, the Rockies are doing pretty well thus far, even though they lost to the Nationals yesterday; both teams scored in the double-figures in fact.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/26/17 at 3:28 pm

It probably was, since they never got that far within the postseason. From their 1995 and 2009 playoff runs, they lost in the NLDS.

Yep, the 2012 Tigers swept the Yankees in the ALCS, only to get swept by the Giants in that year's World Series.

It's quite odd, even though it was around the time when the Giants had their dynasty (2010-2014). Although the Tigers had it more easy in the American League because the Yankees didn't have Jeter after he got injured in Game 1 of that year's ALCS.

However, some teams that sweep an LDS can win an LCS, especially if both halves of one league's LDS get swept. Case in point, both ALDSes last year were swept (Indians swept Red Sox, while Blue Jays swept Rangers).

True. Though it wouldn't be surprising if that league's winner lost in the World Series, since their opponent wins at least 95% of the time.

Written By: nally on 04/27/17 at 6:03 pm

It's quite odd, even though it was around the time when the Giants had their dynasty (2010-2014). Although the Tigers had it more easy in the American League because the Yankees didn't have Jeter after he got injured in Game 1 of that year's ALCS.

Yes, during the even number years of that span (re: the Giants).

And the 2012 ALCS would be the last postseason series in which Jeter would appear (since the Yankes missed the postseason in both '13 and '14).

True. Though it wouldn't be surprising if that league's winner lost in the World Series, since their opponent wins at least 95% of the time.

Like I said, I have noticed over time that many teams that sweep an LCS often get beat in the WS (not necessarily by means of sweep).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/27/17 at 8:41 pm

Like I said, I have noticed over time that many teams that sweep an LCS often get beat in the WS (not necessarily by means of sweep).

Or at least those who have taken more time with an LCS can win a World Series. I think it has to do with more training as compared with their opponents.

Written By: nally on 04/27/17 at 10:36 pm

Or at least those who have taken more time with an LCS can win a World Series. I think it has to do with more training as compared with their opponents.

Probably right.

Written By: nally on 04/27/17 at 10:37 pm

Meanwhile, the Dodgers managed to split their four-game series in San Fran with the Gints. This included a tough loss last night (after Alex Wood pitched well through 6 innings, but the bullpen expletived it up) and an extra-inning win today.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/17 at 3:25 pm

It appears that Yoenis Cespedes (the Mets' best player for now) is put on the disabled list due to a hamstring strain injury. That is probably why the Mets haven't been doing so good in the past two weeks.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:07 pm

It appears that Yoenis Cespedes (the Mets' best player for now) is put on the disabled list due to a hamstring strain injury. That is probably why the Mets haven't been doing so good in the past two weeks.

The Mets have had their share of injuries as of late, him included.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:09 pm

Cubs take on the Red Sox at Fenway Park this weekend. This should be an interesting interleague series.

The two teams previously played each other at the same venue three years ago, and the Cubs swept. Neither team did exceptionally well that year, however.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/17 at 5:22 pm

The Mets have had their share of injuries as of late, him included.

Yeah, but he was important to them since that's when they actually had a winning streak. Now, they're just slumping into 5th place.

Cubs take on the Red Sox at Fenway Park this weekend. This should be an interesting interleague series.

The two teams previously played each other at the same venue three years ago, and the Cubs swept. Neither team did exceptionally well that year, however.

I think it's still interesting to see the Cubs play against the Red Sox, since they both had interesting championship droughts for nearly a century.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, but he was important to them since that's when they actually had a winning streak. Now, they're just slumping into 5th place.

And the Braves are finally showing signs of life in that division.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:27 pm

I think it's still interesting to see the Cubs play against the Red Sox, since they both had interesting championship droughts for nearly a century.

Or more (in the Cubs' case).

I would have liked to see them face off in the 2003 World Series, but both teams blew their chances in their respective LCSes that year.

After this weekend, the next time they'll play each other in interleague play will be in 2020, hopefully at Wrigley Field.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/17 at 5:31 pm

And the Braves are finally showing signs of life in that division.

From what I seeing, the Braves are actually doing better than the Mets. That might be since they have Bartolo Colon from the Mets, who gave the team signs of life during the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

After this weekend, the next time they'll play each other in interleague play will be in 2020, hopefully at Wrigley Field.

That seems interesting. I like of how you predict when they will go play next after their current series.

Written By: nally on 04/28/17 at 5:37 pm

From what I seeing, the Braves are actually doing better than the Mets. That might be since they have Bartolo Colon from the Mets, who gave the team signs of life during the 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Yes, especially the last few days.

That seems interesting. I like of how you predict when they will go play next after their current series.

That's right; since the Cubs are in NL Central and Red Sox are in AL East, they last played each other in 2014 (three years ago) so after this year they'll play each other again three years from now. (That schedule won't be known until sometime in September of 2019, since the schedule for the following year is usually announced in September of the year we're in. I've noticed that over the years.) So next year, 2018, interleague play will once again be in corresponding divisions (for example, NL West teams will only play AL West teams).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/28/17 at 6:43 pm

That's right; since the Cubs are in NL Central and Red Sox are in AL East, they last played each other in 2014 (three years ago) so after this year they'll play each other again three years from now. (That schedule won't be known until sometime in September of 2019, since the schedule for the following year is usually announced in September of the year we're in. I've noticed that over the years.) So next year, 2018, interleague play will once again be in corresponding divisions (for example, NL West teams will only play AL West teams).

So was this a pattern that you noticed since interleague play was introduced in 1997?

Written By: nally on 04/29/17 at 11:30 am

So was this a pattern that you noticed since interleague play was introduced in 1997?

Kind of. Although during the first five years of interleague play (1997 through 2001) teams only played each other in corresponding divisions. Exception: In 2001 the Astros (then NL Central) played the Rangers (AL West) for the first time, since they are both in the state of Texas, and this was the way for them to start a rivalry. To compensate for this, the Arizona Dbacks (NL West) played a series with the Kansas City Royals (AL Central).

Written By: nally on 04/29/17 at 11:31 am

And in the opener last night, the Red Sox won by a run (5-4) although the Cubs threatened in late innings.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/17 at 8:30 am

Kind of. Although during the first five years of interleague play (1997 through 2001) teams only played each other in corresponding divisions. Exception: In 2001 the Astros (then NL Central) played the Rangers (AL West) for the first time, since they are both in the state of Texas, and this was the way for them to start a rivalry. To compensate for this, the Arizona Dbacks (NL West) played a series with the Kansas City Royals (AL Central).

I think it wasn't a problem for MLB to start interleague rivalries, since most of the teams were in corresponding divisions. The Mets and Yankees are both in the Eastern division of their respectful leagues, which is probably why the non-playoff Subway Series has been around since 1997.

Written By: nally on 04/30/17 at 6:48 pm

I think it wasn't a problem for MLB to start interleague rivalries, since most of the teams were in corresponding divisions. The Mets and Yankees are both in the Eastern division of their respectful leagues, which is probably why the non-playoff Subway Series has been around since 1997.

...and they even met up (no pun intended with the use of the word 'met') in the 2000 World Series, but the Yankees won that series in 5 games for their third straight title.

Written By: nally on 04/30/17 at 6:50 pm

Dodgers have swept the Phillies, for their first four-game winning streak this year, AND their first sweep this year.

Last night, however, they were in position to lose it, entering the 9th inning down 5-2. But the first three batters to come up in the 9th all hit home runs to tie the game. Later in the inning, Adrian Gonzalez knocked in the winning run.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/30/17 at 7:10 pm

...and they even met up (no pun intended with the use of the word 'met') in the 2000 World Series, but the Yankees won that series in 5 games for their third straight title.

Despite that, they have never really gone to another Subway Series since then. The Mets did have a chance in 1999, but they were beaten by the Braves in the NLCS. Although, I'm not sure how different it would be since the Yankees swept the Braves in 4 games during the 1999 WS.

Written By: nally on 04/30/17 at 11:44 pm

Also today, the Nationals scored a whopping 23 runs... something Mets fans might be disappointed about, since NYM only scored five runs in that game, and to make matters worse, NYM starter Noah Syndergaard had to exit the game early with tightness in his pitching arm. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/02/17 at 9:19 am

Also today, the Nationals scored a whopping 23 runs... something Mets fans might be disappointed about, since NYM only scored five runs in that game, and to make matters worse, NYM starter Noah Syndergaard had to exit the game early with tightness in his pitching arm. :o

I heard about that. It was one of the worst games the Mets had in this season.

Written By: nally on 05/02/17 at 9:44 pm

I heard about that. It was one of the worst games the Mets had in this season.

Possibly in team history.

Syndergaard was reported as having a "possible lat strain"; now there is no timetable for his return.

Written By: nally on 05/03/17 at 1:17 am

Dodgers scored 13 runs tonight to get back at the Giants (who only scored 5, although their first 4 runs were scored in the 2nd inning).

Written By: nally on 05/04/17 at 5:36 pm

...and they ended up losing in extras to the last-place Giants. ::) >:( Thanks in part to a certain relief pitcher who is no good.

Hopefully the Dudgers will not end up in the cellar anytime soon.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/04/17 at 8:19 pm

Possibly in team history.

Syndergaard was reported as having a "possible lat strain"; now there is no timetable for his return.

Luckily, the Mets had a game where they scored 16 runs against the Braves. So that's good for them.

Written By: nally on 05/05/17 at 2:19 pm

Luckily, the Mets had a game where they scored 16 runs against the Braves. So that's good for them.

Yeah, that was on Wednesday. They also beat their former teammate Bartolo Colon.

Yesterday's game, however, got rained out and will likely be made up when the Mets return to Atlanta later in the year.

Written By: nally on 05/06/17 at 11:18 am

In yesterday's NYY-CHC game, Cubs had a lead at the end of the 8th inning, but the Evil Empire struck back and scored 3 in the 9th off Cubs reliever Hector Rundown...I mean Rondon. Then Aroldis Chapman shut the door on his former team.

However, before the game, Chapman was greeted warmly by his former Cubs teammates, and was also presented with his World Series ring. :)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/17 at 11:23 am

In yesterday's NYY-CHC game, Cubs had a lead at the end of the 8th inning, but the Evil Empire struck back and scored 3 in the 9th off Cubs reliever Hector Rundown...I mean Rondon. Then Aroldis Chapman shut the door on his former team.

However, before the game, Chapman was greeted warmly by his former Cubs teammates, and was also presented with his World Series ring. :)

Aside from that, the Yankees probably added up to yesterday's game with their 18 wins. This might set up another dynasty with the Yanks after Jeter and Rivera retired in 2013/2014.

Written By: nally on 05/06/17 at 11:24 am

Aside from that, the Yankees probably added up to yesterday's game with their 18 wins. This might set up another dynasty with the Yanks after Jeter and Rivera retired in 2013/2014.

well they have been playing well this year, so far, even with the absence of Gary Sanchez (who was activated off the DL yesterday).

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/17 at 11:31 am

well they have been playing well this year, so far, even with the absence of Gary Sanchez (who was activated off the DL yesterday).

It could be that they have Matt Holliday and Jacoby Ellsbury as outfielders, in which both of them were part of World Series teams (Ellsbury with the 2007 and 2013 Red Sox, Holliday with the 2011 Cardinals).

Written By: nally on 05/06/17 at 11:37 am

It could be that they have Matt Holliday and Jacoby Ellsbury as outfielders, in which both of them were part of World Series teams (Ellsbury with the 2007 and 2013 Red Sox, Holliday with the 2011 Cardinals).

Holliday was also part of the 2007 Rockies, who won the NL Pennant but got swept by the aforementioned Red Sox in the World Series. :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/17 at 11:41 am

Holliday was also part of the 2007 Rockies, who won the NL Pennant but got swept by the aforementioned Red Sox in the World Series. :-\\

Well, the 2007 Rockies were still interesting to look forward to, despite having only one more loss in the NL West before taking the Wild Card spot.

Written By: nally on 05/06/17 at 11:44 am

Well, the 2007 Rockies were still interesting to look forward to, despite having only one more loss in the NL West before taking the Wild Card spot.

They were on a surge during the final month of the regular season and finished in a tie with the Padres for the NL Wildcard, so they had to play a tiebreaker with the Pads on October 1st to determine the winner. Matt Holliday scored the winning run in that game.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/17 at 12:27 pm

They were on a surge during the final month of the regular season and finished in a tie with the Padres for the NL Wildcard, so they had to play a tiebreaker with the Pads on October 1st to determine the winner. Matt Holliday scored the winning run in that game.

That seems like a coincidence if Holliday and Ellsbury were in the same World Series in 2007 though. Having them together might be the reason why they're in 1st place now.

Written By: nally on 05/06/17 at 7:35 pm

That seems like a coincidence if Holliday and Ellsbury were in the same World Series in 2007 though. Having them together might be the reason why they're in 1st place now.

I'm sure there are other factors contributing to the team's success. Pitching might be another one of them.

Dodgers, on the other hand, have some weak pitching right now. Yet analysts were raving about the Dodgers' pitching before the start of the season. ::)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/06/17 at 8:27 pm

I'm sure there are other factors contributing to the team's success. Pitching might be another one of them.

Dodgers, on the other hand, have some weak pitching right now. Yet analysts were raving about the Dodgers' pitching before the start of the season. ::)

They probably did just to show they're okay with it, but they're actually pitiful with it.

Written By: nally on 05/07/17 at 5:54 pm

They probably did just to show they're okay with it, but they're actually pitiful with it.

...which hardly makes any sense.

But that doesn't matter, since the Dodgers' pitching did not give up too many runs at all last night, as they beat the Padres 10-2.

Today's game called on account of inclement weather in San Diego. (It will be made up Saturday September 2nd as part of a day-night doubleheader.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/07/17 at 6:51 pm

...which hardly makes any sense.

I don't know what else to say it. It's not like the Dodgers' pitching is going to be good this season.

But that doesn't matter, since the Dodgers' pitching did not give up too many runs at all last night, as they beat the Padres 10-2.

Nice.  ;)

Written By: nally on 05/07/17 at 6:53 pm

I don't know what else to say it. It's not like the Dodgers' pitching is going to be good this season.

Nice.  ;)

They had their chances during the offseason to get some better starters and/or relievers, but didn't really do anything.

Brandon McCarthy would have pitched today if the game hadn't gotten rained out. He's unbeaten so far this year, certainly improving from last year and the year before (when he kept getting injured). So, he's done quite well so far.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/07/17 at 7:09 pm

They had their chances during the offseason to get some better starters and/or relievers, but didn't really do anything.

I guess the Dodgers didn't anything to get better pitchers, considering they have Kershaw.

Written By: nally on 05/07/17 at 7:13 pm

I guess the Dodgers didn't anything to get better pitchers, considering they have Kershaw.

Yes, but he can't do it all himself. Messrs Maeda, McCarthy, Urias, and Wood need to also pitch well. (And each one has had his moments.)

In yesterday's game he had a shutout going until the 8th, when he gave up a home run. But that's not so bad at all, because his team gave him some much-needed run support.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/08/17 at 7:22 pm

Yes, but he can't do it all himself. Messrs Maeda, McCarthy, Urias, and Wood need to also pitch well. (And each one has had his moments.)

In yesterday's game he had a shutout going until the 8th, when he gave up a home run. But that's not so bad at all, because his team gave him some much-needed run support.

Not that I care about the Dodgers' pitching so much, but I can sympathize with the Mets having poor pitching with Matt Harvey being suspended. Even though I'm starting to become more neutral about them, it's still worth noticing for Mets fans.

Written By: nally on 05/08/17 at 10:58 pm

Not that I care about the Dodgers' pitching so much, but I can sympathize with the Mets having poor pitching with Matt Harvey being suspended. Even though I'm starting to become more neutral about them, it's still worth noticing for Mets fans.

Yeah, Harvey got suspended after he'd had "a migraine" on Saturday and there were some communication issues around that... but it's gonna be a headache for the rest of the team too.

At least they beat the Giants today. This adds to the Giants' losing streak, after they were swept in Cincinnati over the weekend (by two landslide games and a shutout).

Written By: nally on 05/10/17 at 12:35 am

Yeah, Harvey got suspended after he'd had "a migraine" on Saturday and there were some communication issues around that... but it's gonna be a headache for the rest of the team too.

At least they beat the Giants today. This adds to the Giants' losing streak, after they were swept in Cincinnati over the weekend (by two landslide games and a shutout).

Mets beat Giants again today. Giants now have the worst record in all of MLB.

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 8:25 pm

Mets beat Giants again today. Giants now have the worst record in all of MLB.

But then yesterday afternoon, Giants averted a sweep by the Mets, rallying against NYM closer Jeurys Familia, and hanging on to win 6-5.

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 8:27 pm

Dodgers completed another sweep last night, doing so against the Pirates for the first time since 2013. LAD starter Kenta Maeda had a shutout going until the 9th, but after he gave up a 2-run homer, the reliever who succeeded him got the last two outs.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/17 at 8:51 pm

The Mets are still in 2nd place in the NL East, with 16 wins and 17 losses. It would take them a long time if they actually take 1st place.

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 8:55 pm

'Tis still early in the season; any team could eventually top its division at some point... provided they play well and don't lose too much.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/11/17 at 9:17 pm

'Tis still early in the season; any team could eventually top its division at some point... provided they play well and don't lose too much.

Sorry. It's just that I get angst whenever a team I like isn't doing well in their division.

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 9:19 pm

Sorry. It's just that I get angst whenever a team I like isn't doing well in their division.

Same with me, regarding the Dudgers.

I just turned on the game a little while ago and they were losing by a touchdown in the 3rd inning. (The score was 7-0 in favour of the Rockies.) :o

Written By: nally on 05/12/17 at 1:00 am

Same with me, regarding the Dudgers.

I just turned on the game a little while ago and they were losing by a touchdown in the 3rd inning. (The score was 7-0 in favour of the Rockies.) :o

Final score was Rockies 10, Dudgers 7. That's still kinda like a football score, in a sense.

Dodgers received another setback today when they announced that Kenta Maeda would be placed on the DL. So their starting pitching is being plagued with injuries again.

Written By: nally on 05/13/17 at 1:14 pm

Dodgers beat Rockies 6-2 in Coloradio yesterday, after losing 10-7 Thursday night (in that game, LAD was down 10-zip and they even brought the tying run to the plate in the 9th, but could not come through). What's more, Kershaw did better in last night's game than he did in his previous start in Denver (last month). So the Dodgers regained a game on the Rockies' division lead.

Written By: nally on 05/14/17 at 2:47 pm

Dodgers blanked Rockies 4-0 yesterday; Alex Wood seems to fit well in the rotation.

Written By: nally on 05/14/17 at 2:48 pm

Before the start of tonight's Astros-Yankees game, Derek Jeter's jersey number, 2, will be formally retired, making it the last single-digit Yankees uniform number to be retired.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/14/17 at 3:09 pm

Before the start of tonight's Astros-Yankees game, Derek Jeter's jersey number, 2, will be formally retired, making it the last single-digit Yankees uniform number to be retired.

Looks like the Yankees can't really use single digit numbers anymore for the current players.

Written By: nally on 05/14/17 at 10:23 pm

Looks like the Yankees can't really use single digit numbers anymore for the current players.

No, they can't. All of them have been retired now.

1: Billy Martin (number retired: 1986)
2: Derek Jeter (number retired: 2017)
3: Babe Ruth (number retired: 1948)
4: Lou Gehrig (number retired: 1939)
5: Joe DiMaggio (number retired: 1952)
6: Joe Torre (number retired: 2014)
7: Mickey Mantle (number retired: 1969)
8: Yogi Berra AND Bill Dickey (number retired: 1972 in honor of both players)
9: Roger Maris (number retired: 1984)

Some of their double-digit numbers are also retired in honor of certain players (including 42, which was retired by all of MLB for Jackie Robinson, but in the Yankees' case also for Mariano Rivera when he himself retired). In fact, they have 21 different numbers retired for 23 different players, the most of any franchise. Complete list here: on Wiki

Written By: nally on 05/16/17 at 5:59 pm

Astros have the best record in MLB right now.

Written By: nally on 05/17/17 at 1:52 pm

For some reason, the Giants seem to have the upper hand on the Dudgers as of late. I hope they can avert a sweep today with Kershaw on the mound.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 05/17/17 at 3:00 pm

For some reason, the Giants seem to have the upper hand on the Dudgers as of late. I hope they can avert a sweep today with Kershaw on the mound.

Well hopefully they could do that. Although they could win other games in the near future.

Written By: nally on 05/17/17 at 11:31 pm

Well hopefully they could do that. Although they could win other games in the near future.

They did. I was home today, and the game was in the daytime, so I was able to watch it. Kershaw did his job (allowing no runs and not walking anybody), and he got six runs of support. O0

Written By: nally on 05/19/17 at 2:13 pm

Dodgers failed to beat the Marlins at all at Dodger Stadium last year. Last night, however, they finally beat 'em, by a score of 7-2. Closer Kenley Jansen, who entered the game in the 8th inning, came to bat in the bottom of the 8th (since his spot was due up) and actually got a hit; two insurance runs were eventually scored. Jansen even retired all three Miami batters he faced in the 9th inning, each with three strikes! (If a pitcher strikes out three batters each on three pitches (for a total of nine "strike" pitches), he is said to have pitched an "immaculate inning.)

Written By: nally on 05/20/17 at 3:15 pm

Dodgers won again last night, also by a score of 7-2. However, when the 9th inning began, the score was 7-0, but the Marlins scored two runs in the inning. It all began when LAD reliever Ross Stripling threw a pitch behind Giancarlo Stanton; benches were emptied and Stripling was ejected. I would expect Stripling to be suspended for at least a few games (not sure how many) for what he did.

Written By: nally on 05/21/17 at 8:45 pm

Dodgers got pounded last night, 10-6 (in fact, it was 10-0 at one point, but the Dodgers gradually chipped away at the Marlins' lead...and fell short). Today, however, they won their game 6-3 to take the series from the Marlins.

Written By: nally on 05/24/17 at 12:02 am

Kershaw is gonna be denied another win today, since he only got one run of support, and the Cardinals scored a run in the 9th, when Kersh was still pitching. Now it's in extra innings, so hopefully the Dodgers can walk it off.

Written By: nally on 05/24/17 at 11:12 am

Kershaw is gonna be denied another win today, since he only got one run of support, and the Cardinals scored a run in the 9th, when Kersh was still pitching. Now it's in extra innings, so hopefully the Dodgers can walk it off.

...and they did in the 13th.

Written By: nally on 05/25/17 at 6:04 pm

I think recent Dodgers losses may be primarily on account of the pitching; last Saturday, the young Julio Urias allowed several Miami Marlins batters to get on base, and many of them scored; and last nite, Rich Hill walked way too many batters and surrendered 6 runs. And the Dodgers could not recover offensively in either game.

Written By: nally on 05/26/17 at 3:37 pm

In last night's Dodgers game, Kenta Maeda (in his return from the DL) gave up 3 runs to the Cardinals in the 1st inning, but settled down after that. In fact, Maeda later hit a two-run single to put the Dodgers on top; they kept the lead and won the series 2 games to 1.

They will see the Cardinals next week, in St. Louis, starting on Monday! Before that, they will host the Cubs for three games.

Written By: nally on 05/27/17 at 10:36 am

Dodgers opened a home series with the Cubs last night; the two starters from August 30th 2015 -- Jake Arrieta (who pitched a no-hitter that night) and Alex Wood (who this year remains unbeaten so far) -- faced off in a rematch. This time, things swung the other way: Dodgers beat the Cubs 4 to nothing.

Written By: nally on 05/28/17 at 12:47 am

...and the Dodgers continued to keep the Cubs off the board in today's game; 5 to nothing was the score this time.

The last time the Cubs got shut out in consecutive games was almost 3 years ago exactly to the date...in San Francisco.

Written By: nally on 05/28/17 at 8:43 pm

Dodgers sweep Cubs... although in today's game neither starter (Jon Lester for CHC; Clayton Kershaw for LAD) was his usual self; moreover, both starters were gone by the end of the fifth inning. However, all 13 runs (9 for Dodgers, 4 for Cubs) were scored via the home run ball; either a player hit a solo home run, or a player hit a home run with guys on base.

Written By: nally on 05/31/17 at 6:44 pm

So, in Monday's Nationals-Giants game, Bryce Harper started a fight with Giants relief pitcher Hunter Strickland, after Strickland threw a pitch at Harper. These two have a history: in the 2014 NLDS, Harper hit a home run off Strickland... and so Strickland was angry about that. So now the two players have been issued suspensions, which they will begin serving tonight.

Written By: nally on 06/01/17 at 6:20 pm

Dodgers moved into first place in NL West by beating the Cardinals on Tuesday night, coupled with the Rockies losing to the Mariners. But they lost last night, and so did the Rockies.. and today the Dodgers lost again, and the Rockies just now beat the Mariners...so the Rockies regain control of first place. :(

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/01/17 at 6:24 pm

Dodgers moved into first place in NL West by beating the Cardinals on Tuesday night, coupled with the Rockies losing to the Mariners. But they lost last night, and so did the Rockies.. and today the Dodgers lost again, and the Rockies just now beat the Mariners...so the Rockies regain control of first place. :(

That's nice. Maybe they'll win the NL West division title this year. (BTW, I'm NewYorkEagle)

Written By: nally on 06/01/17 at 6:26 pm

That's nice. Maybe they'll win the NL West division title this year. (BTW, I'm NewYorkEagle)

I knew that. I saw you reregistered the other day. Welcome back. O0

Written By: nally on 06/01/17 at 6:26 pm

Of course, there's still four months left in the regular season, so the playoff races could go in any direction.

Written By: nally on 06/02/17 at 11:52 am

...and the Arizona Dbacks came back to beat the Marlins; this puts the Rockies and Dbacks in a tie for first place, and the Dudgers half a game behind both teams. LAD needs to get their act together this weekend in Milwaukee.

Written By: nally on 06/03/17 at 12:21 pm

Dodgers regained first place, while the Rockies and Dbacks both lost their games. However, the Dodgers' game went into extra innings, even though both starters (Clayton Kershaw for LAD and Jimmy Nelson for the Brewers) both struck out plenty of batters. Still, LAD won 2-1 in 12.

Written By: nally on 06/03/17 at 11:43 pm

Edinson Volquez of the Miami Marlins threw a no-hitter against the Arizona Diamondbacks today. Volquez, who lost his first seven decisions of this year, finally won a game this past Monday...and today he managed to pitch a no-no.

This helps the Dodgers in the standings, since they won their game against the Brew Crew (again coming from behind in the 9th inning); Dodgers maintain the division lead by a half-game over the Rockies, who won in San Diego. And the Dbacks, who lost (as mentioned above), drop to 1 1/2 games behind LAD.

Written By: nally on 06/04/17 at 9:14 am

Another notable event occurred yesterday in the world of MLB: Albert Pujols became the 9th member of the 600 Home Runs Club! He did so by hitting a grand slam, en route to a 7-2 victory for the L.A. Angels over the Minnesota Twins.

What's more, he did so off ex-Angels pitcher Ervin Santana, who is now with the Twins. Pujols and Santana were teammates only during the 2012 season.

Written By: nally on 06/07/17 at 1:21 pm

In yesterday's Cardinals-Reds game, Reds second baseman Scooter Gennett hit four home runs to power the Reds to a 13-1 victory over the Cardinals. It was the first time in Reds franchise history that one player hit four home runs in one game.

Written By: nally on 06/07/17 at 10:58 pm

Dodgers salvage a game with the Washington Nationals, 2-1, to give Clayton Kershaw his first win since the middle of May. (He had been decisionless in his previous three starts, dating back to May 23rd against STL.)

Written By: nally on 06/10/17 at 12:18 pm

Dodgers fell half a game back of the Arizona Dbacks, into 3rd place in NL West, last nite, but they have regained 2nd place. They beat the Cincinnati Reds by a score of 7-2, while the Dbacks fell to the Milwaukee Brewers 8-6 in Phoenix.

Written By: nally on 06/11/17 at 10:27 am

Rockies don't seem to wanna lose...they've won 7 in a row now, to remain at least 2 games ahead of the second-place Dodgers in NL West.

Written By: nally on 06/12/17 at 12:30 am

...but the Rockies finally lost a game today. The Cubs averted a four-game sweep.

The Dodgers capitalized on this by coming from behind in the 8th inning against the Reds...to complete a sweep of them. Corey Seager hit a grand slam in the 8th inning, when L.A. was down 7-5, to take the lead at 9-7 and keep it.

Written By: nally on 06/13/17 at 10:33 pm

Dodgers pick up another victory; in their first interleague game this season they won 7-5 over the Cleveland Indians. (It could've been 7-2, but they couldn't complete the strikeout on one batter, and the next guy homered with two runners on, but Kenley Jansen closed it out.) So the Dodgers are now 4-0 all time at Progressive Field. (The only other season they played at Cleveland was 2003; they swept that series. And they hosted the Indians in 2008 and 2014.)

Written By: nally on 06/15/17 at 8:02 pm

Indians averted a sweep by the Dodgers today. They jumped all over LAD starter Rich Hill early in the game...to the tune of a 12-5 win. :o

Rockies (who presently hold first place in NL West) host the Giants tonight; I'm actually rooting for the Giants so that the Rockies don't keep first place to themselves.

Written By: nally on 06/17/17 at 3:20 pm

Dodgers pitcher Alex Wood: 7 wins and no losses this year.

He pitched a gem in Cincinnati last night, carrying a shutout into the 8th inning before surrendering a solo home run to Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco. Dodgers scored 3 runs of their own, including an RBI by Wood himself, en route to a 3-1 victory.

Dbacks and Rockies also won their respective games, to keep Colorado on top in the NL West.

Written By: nally on 06/17/17 at 10:59 pm

...and the Dodgers, Dbacks, and Rockies all won their respective games again today!

Written By: nally on 06/18/17 at 11:05 pm

Dodgers completed a season series sweep of the Cincinnati Reds.

But the Rockies finished a sweep of the Giants, and the Dbacks finished a sweep of the MLB-worst Phillies.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 1:57 pm

Dodgers completed a season series sweep of the Cincinnati Reds.

But the Rockies finished a sweep of the Giants, and the Dbacks finished a sweep of the MLB-worst Phillies.

Looks like the Phillies won't have a good season. Although, the NL East alone isn't doing that well in terms of performance, except for the Nationals.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/20/17 at 2:00 pm

I can't believe that the Yankees went 1-6 on their West Coast/California trip against the Athletics and Angels. Now, the Yanks only lead the AL East by a half a game :(.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 2:03 pm

I can't believe that the Yankees went 1-6 on their West Coast/California trip against the Athletics and Angels. Now, the Yanks only lead the AL East by a half a game :(.

The Yankees are still doing good throughout this season. They could potentially win the AL East division title this year. Although, it's still kinda early to predict the playoffs.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/20/17 at 2:08 pm

The Yankees are still doing good throughout this season. They could potentially win the AL East division title this year. Although, it's still kinda early to predict the playoffs.

Hopefully. Man, have you seen Aaron Judge? He's a freaking BEAST!!!!! :D :D :D

Written By: nally on 06/20/17 at 5:51 pm

Looks like the Phillies won't have a good season. Although, the NL East alone isn't doing that well in terms of performance, except for the Nationals.

That's right, the Nationals are the only NL East team with a winning record right now. Everybody else is sub-.500, including the Mets, who lost to the Dodgers last nite, even though NYM and LAD did plenty of scoring.

Written By: nally on 06/20/17 at 5:53 pm

Yep, overall they are doing pretty well so far. If they win the division, then I will root for whichever team plays them in the ALDS.

You're right, it is still too early to predict which teams will qualify for the postseason... although three teams in NL West -- Rockies, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks -- have the three best records in the NL alone right now. Dodgers trail the Rockies by half a game (heading into play today) and lead the Deebacks by a half game.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/20/17 at 6:06 pm

Hopefully. Man, have you seen Aaron Judge? He's a freaking BEAST!!!!! :D :D :D

Aaron Judge could bring another dynasty for the Yankees, especially with Aaron Hicks and Matt Holliday.

Written By: nally on 06/20/17 at 6:12 pm

Aaron Judge could bring another dynasty for the Yankees, especially with Aaron Hicks and Matt Holliday.

He sure has been on a hot streak, that's for sure. In fact, he may be a leading candidate for American League Rookie Of The Year. (He's already been named A.L. Rookie of the Month for April and May.)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/20/17 at 6:20 pm

He sure has been on a hot streak, that's for sure. In fact, he may be a leading candidate for American League Rookie Of The Year. (He's already been named A.L. Rookie of the Month for April and May.)

He's a MONSTER!!!! :D :D :D

Written By: nally on 06/21/17 at 3:50 pm

...and yesterday the Yankes lost and the Redsox won, to give Boston the division lead by half a game!

Written By: nally on 06/21/17 at 3:51 pm

Dodgers blanked the Mets in last night's game 12-nothing. Corey Seager hit 3 home runs, and rookie Cody Bellinger hit his 22nd to give him the NL lead in homers!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 3:52 pm

...and yesterday the Yankes lost and the Redsox won, to give Boston the division lead by half a game!

I know :(. What is up with the Yankees? They were doing so good...oh well.

Written By: nally on 06/21/17 at 3:55 pm

Yep, seven in a row they've lost. Even with the return of Aroldis Chapmen from the DL.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/21/17 at 4:05 pm

I'm quite surprised that the Red Sox could do well without Big Papi (David Ortiz). Either they traded some mediocre players or they had a good strategy against their division.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 4:06 pm

Yep, seven in a row they've lost. Even with the return of Aroldis Chapmen from the DL.

I know...I'm upset >:(.

I'm quite surprised that the Red Sox could do well without Big Papi (David Ortiz). Either they traded some mediocre players or they had a good strategy against their division.

I don't know.

Written By: nally on 06/21/17 at 4:07 pm

I know...I'm upset >:(.
I don't know.

Are you a Yankees fan?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/21/17 at 4:10 pm

Are you a Yankees fan?

Yes.

Written By: nally on 06/21/17 at 4:20 pm

Yes.

I see.

I'm a Dodgers fan. Therefore I get frustrated when my team doesn't play very well.

Today I'm anticipating they might not do so well with Rich Hill on the mound... but we'll see what happens. In his last start, last Thursday in Cleveland, he gave up too many runs and the Dodgers could not overcome that deficit.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/21/17 at 4:30 pm

I see.

I'm a Dodgers fan. Therefore I get frustrated when my team doesn't play very well.

Today I'm anticipating they might not do so well with Rich Hill on the mound... but we'll see what happens. In his last start, last Thursday in Cleveland, he gave up too many runs and the Dodgers could not overcome that deficit.

I feel the same thing when I was a Mets fan, only that made me turn into a Cardinals fan because they weren't that good to me. Plus, I was partially picked on by not only kids, but also a grown adult. I remember she teased me and said "Where's your Mets now?", which really pissed me off as a 12 year old.

Written By: nally on 06/22/17 at 5:52 pm

But then they traded places again yesterday!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/22/17 at 8:38 pm

But then they traded places again yesterday!

I know.....they better keep it.

Written By: nally on 06/23/17 at 3:41 pm

Dodgers, meanwhile, swept their four-game series with the Mets. I think they hit 15 home runs during the series. :o

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 3:48 pm

Dodgers, meanwhile, swept their four-game series with the Mets. I think they hit 15 home runs during the series. :o

The Mets are just horrible this year.

Written By: nally on 06/23/17 at 3:53 pm

The Mets are just horrible this year.

I even heard last night, while watching the game, that manager Terry Collins was in the final year of his contract.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 3:55 pm

I even heard last night, while watching the game, that manager Terry Collins was in the final year of his contract.

Yeah, that is correct.

The Mets had their chance to win the World Series in 2015 but they blew it.

Written By: nally on 06/23/17 at 3:58 pm

Yeah, that is correct.

The Mets had their chance to win the World Series in 2015 but they blew it.

They did win Game Three of that series, though. I recall that they also had a chance to win Game Five (in which they were facing elimination; Matt Harvey even left with a shutout)...but they could not hold it up.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 4:03 pm

They did win Game Three of that series, though. I recall that they also had a chance to win Game Five (in which they were facing elimination; Matt Harvey even left with a shutout)...but they could not hold it up.

The Mets actually had a chance with that series easily but two blown saves by Jeurys Familia and a botched played by Daniel Murphy ruined them winning that series.

Written By: nally on 06/23/17 at 4:05 pm

The Mets actually had a chance with that series easily but two blown saves by Jeurys Familia and a botched played by Daniel Murphy ruined them winning that series.

Oh yes, Jeurys Familia blew (I think) three save opps in that series. :o

Nowdays he isn't even pitching, because he underwent surgery earlier this year to repair a clot in his shoulder. He could be out a while.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 4:07 pm

Oh yes, Jeurys Familia blew (I think) three save opps in that series. :o

Nowdays he isn't even pitching, because he underwent surgery earlier this year to repair a clot in his shoulder. He could be out a while.

Yeah, I know. The Mets are just a mess.

Written By: nally on 06/23/17 at 4:10 pm

Right... the New York Mess!

With no disrespect intended, for any Mets fans.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 4:11 pm

Right... the New York Mess!

With no disrespect intended, for any Mets fans.

LOL ;D.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/23/17 at 8:33 pm

That's saying something because the Mets haven't done anything good since Davey Johnson was their manager.

Finally. Terry Collins was basically ruining the Mets franchise as manager. Of all people, he should never be manager of any MLB team ever again. He broke so many hearts for Mets fans, including me. Oh wait, I'm not a Mets fan because they really suck.

The Mets never had a chance since they gave up an in-field home run in the first game. That alone just makes them terrible in terms of pitching and batting, in my opinion. Even with that, Terry Collins didn't take the team seriously as he never thought of giving the players a chance.

They're more than a mess. They're simply a disaster than not even Hurricane Katrina could demolish more.

No offense to anybody that actually witnessed Hurricane Katrina, or had family living in the Southern U.S. back in 2005.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/23/17 at 8:37 pm

The Mets never had a chance since they gave up an in-field home run in the first game. That alone just makes them terrible in terms of pitching and batting, in my opinion. Even with that, Terry Collins didn't take the team seriously as he never thought of giving the players a chance.

No, they definitely had a chance...but they blew it.

They're more than a mess. They're simply a disaster than not even Hurricane Katrina could demolish more.

No offense to anybody that actually witnessed Hurricane Katrina, or had family living in the Southern U.S. back in 2005.

True words ;D :-X.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/23/17 at 8:41 pm

No, they definitely had a chance...but they blew it.

Honestly, they should've brought in better pitching strategies against the Royals. That would've gave the team a fair chance in the 2015 WS, but they really blew it after Game 1.  8-P

Written By: nally on 06/24/17 at 11:55 am

...but the Mets finally won again last night, 11-4 over the Giants in San Fran.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/24/17 at 1:44 pm

...but the Mets finally won again last night, 11-4 over the Giants in San Fran.

That's the thing with the Mets (or pretty much any team that isn't the Yankees). They try out good with some teams, but do horribly with other ones. Which is why they don't do well in their division. The Mets are a prime example since they've been doing poorly for the past 52 years (except for 1969 and 1986).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/24/17 at 2:24 pm

That's the thing with the Mets (or pretty much any team that isn't the Yankees). They try out good with some teams, but do horribly with other ones. Which is why they don't do well in their division. The Mets are a prime example since they've been doing poorly for the past 52 years (except for 1969 and 1986).

That's not true. The Houston Astros are the most dominant team in the MLB right now (the best record), the Los Angeles Dodgers and Washington Nationals are also doing very well.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/24/17 at 2:33 pm

That's not true. The Houston Astros are the most dominant team in the MLB right now (the best record), the Los Angeles Dodgers and Washington Nationals are also doing very well.

I was half-joking. Of course the Yankees aren't the best team this year, but they're still doing good in the AL East. But compared to teams like the Mets, they're doing way better. Especially since they have players like Aaron Judge, Matt Holliday, Aaron Hicks, Aaron Judge, and Jacoby Ellsbury (despite being in the DL now).

Written By: nally on 06/24/17 at 6:42 pm

True that. In fact, Dodgers have best record in the National League heading into play today. (Astros, who are in the AL, have 50 wins and only 25 losses.)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/24/17 at 7:02 pm

True that. In fact, Dodgers have best record in the National League heading into play today. (Astros, who are in the AL, have 50 wins and only 25 losses.)

They probably had Kershaw with them to lead the NL West.

Written By: nally on 06/25/17 at 6:02 pm

They probably had Kershaw with them to lead the NL West.

Well, Kershaw got off to a slow start last nite; he had to make 33 pitches in the first inning to escape a bases-loaded jam...but he was lights out the rest of the way. Dodgers kept the Rockies off the board.

Today, however, the Rockies are trying to avert a sweep by the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 06/25/17 at 6:38 pm

Update: Now it is 7-6 Dodgers, end of the 7th inning! :D

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/25/17 at 7:10 pm

Well, Kershaw got off to a slow start last nite; he had to make 33 pitches in the first inning to escape a bases-loaded jam...but he was lights out the rest of the way. Dodgers kept the Rockies off the board.

The Dodgers are leading 9-6 against the Rockies, so it's going to be a sweep.

Written By: nally on 06/25/17 at 7:14 pm

The Dodgers are leading 9-6 against the Rockies, so it's going to be a sweep.

Now it's 11 to 6, and the 8th inning is not quite over yet!

but you are right, this is definitely going to be a sweep.

Written By: nally on 06/25/17 at 7:17 pm

Make that 12 to 6! Kenley Jansen, batting for himself, got an RBI double to score Logan Forsythe.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/25/17 at 7:28 pm

I'll just bet that the Dodgers would win their series with the Rockies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/25/17 at 7:54 pm

The Los Angeles Dodgers did in fact win 12-6 and sweep the Colorado Rockies.

Written By: nally on 06/25/17 at 8:58 pm

Yep, that's 10 wins in a row for LAD now! And 16 wins in their last 17 games!

Tomorrow they welcome in the Angels for the teams' annual Freeway Series rivalry.

Written By: nally on 06/27/17 at 6:30 pm

Dodgers' win streak came to an end yesterday...as did their streak of consecutive games with a home run. They were blanked at the hands of the Angels. :-\\

Written By: nally on 06/28/17 at 12:53 am

...and the Dodgers returned the favor tonight, winning 4-0 over the Angels. (Last night they lost by that score.) Now the teams will play a pair of games at Angel Stadium tomorrow and Thursday nights.

Written By: nally on 06/28/17 at 7:07 pm

Rockies, who led the NL West division earlier this month, have lost 8 in a row now. They were swept by the last-place Giants. (Dodgers took over first place during their recent 10-game win streak.)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/28/17 at 7:29 pm

Rockies, who led the NL West division earlier this month, have lost 8 in a row now. They were swept by the last-place Giants. (Dodgers took over first place during their recent 10-game win streak.)

Well, I guess the Dodgers and Rockies might have a rivalry between who's going to be 1st place in the NL West.

Written By: nally on 06/28/17 at 7:53 pm

Well, I guess the Dodgers and Rockies might have a rivalry between who's going to be 1st place in the NL West.

Actually, the Dodgers and Diamondbacks might have that battle instead. Dbacks trail the Dodgers by a game and a half, heading into play today.

See, the Dodgers, Dbacks, and Rockies have been pretty much in the mix for much of the season; they actually have the three best records in just the NL.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 06/28/17 at 8:43 pm

Actually, the Dodgers and Diamondbacks might have that battle instead. Dbacks trail the Dodgers by a game and a half, heading into play today.

See, the Dodgers, Dbacks, and Rockies have been pretty much in the mix for much of the season; they actually have the three best records in just the NL.

Then I guess it could be a three-way rivalry.

Written By: nally on 06/29/17 at 10:42 am

Then I guess it could be a three-way rivalry.

That's one way to look at it.

All three teams lost their respective games yesterday, by the way.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/29/17 at 12:03 pm

The NY Yankees beat the Chicago White Sox yesterday, 12-3 8). Aaron Judge hit his major league leading 27th homer...what a BEAST!!!! :D.

Written By: nally on 06/29/17 at 4:52 pm

Cardinals lead the Dbacks 5-3 in the 7th inning right now...I hope they hang on and win! (So that the Dbacks don't gain ground on the Dudgers, who play the Freeway Series finale with the Angels later on.)

Written By: nally on 06/30/17 at 7:13 pm

Cardinals lead the Dbacks 5-3 in the 7th inning right now...I hope they hang on and win! (So that the Dbacks don't gain ground on the Dudgers, who play the Freeway Series finale with the Angels later on.)

Cardinals won the game 10-4, by the way. And the Dodgers capitalized on that by beating the Angels 6-2 to achieve a split in the 2017 Freeway Series.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 06/30/17 at 11:02 pm

The Yankees beat the Astros in the series opener by a blowout of 13-4!!!! :D.

Written By: nally on 07/01/17 at 3:31 pm

The Yankees beat the Astros in the series opener by a blowout of 13-4!!!! :D.

I noticed that. They came from behind and piled on a lotta runs to win that game! :o

Written By: nally on 07/01/17 at 3:32 pm

Anyways, the Rockies broke an 8-game losing streak last night by beating the Arizona Dbacks in Arizona 6-3. That's good because the Dbacks fall another game back of the Dodgers, who beat the Padres 10-4 in San Diego last night.

Written By: nally on 07/02/17 at 8:08 pm

Padres averted a sweep by the Dodgers this afternoon. :( And the Dbacks won their game walk-off style.

So now LAD is back to a 2 1/2 game lead.

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/04/17 at 2:52 pm

It looks like the Red Sox have reached 1st place in the AL East. The Yankees are at least in 1st place in the AL Wild Card.

Written By: nally on 07/04/17 at 7:14 pm

^ Yes, Boston has been atop the AL East for at least a week now, ever since they overtook NYY (who currently hold the upper AL wildcard). The lower AL wildcard spot was not in sole possession entering play today, but the Twins currently hold it. The Rays and Royals are in striking distance of it, however.

Written By: nally on 07/05/17 at 11:52 am

Dodgers narrowly won their game last night over the Dbacks, 4-3. Clayton Kershaw took a no-hit bid into the 7th inning before finally giving up an infield single. He completed the 7th inning and gave way to the bullpen, after throwing 117 total pitches. The shutout remained intact into the 9th inning. Kenley Jansen entered with two out and two on...but gave up a three-run homer to Dan Descalso (even though he was down to his last strike)... but ultimately got another batter to strike out, giving Kershaw a much-deserved victory.

Written By: nally on 07/06/17 at 7:24 pm

Alex Wood is still unbeaten this year. In fact, he is the first L.A. Dodgers starter to win his first 10 decisions of a season. The last Dodgers starter in franchise history who began a season 10-0 was Don Newcombe in 1955, back when the franchise was in Brooklyn. (That 1955 team went on to win its only World Series title in Brooklyn.) The 1-0 win pushes the Dbacks to 4 1/2 games back of the Dodgers.

One other note: In 1962 Ed Roebuck won his first 10 decisions with the Dodgers, but he was a reliever, not a starter.

Written By: nally on 07/07/17 at 11:49 am

Dodgers rallied from three runs down in the 9th inning to complete a sweep of the Arizona Dbacks. For Arizona, their pitchers could not record any outs in the 9th inning.

Dodgers received some more good news earlier in the day: 3rd baseman Justin Turner won the "final vote" race for the All Star Game!

Written By: nally on 07/08/17 at 5:02 pm

Chase Utley collected his 1,000th career RBI last night, en route to a 4-1 victory over the Kansas City Royals. So now there are currently 9 active players with four-figures in the RBI department.

Written By: nally on 07/09/17 at 9:03 pm

Dodgers sweep the KC Royals...and head into the All Star Break with the best record in MLB, at 61 wins and 29 losses. This is half a game better than the Houston Astros, who have won 60 and lost 29; they trounced the Bluejays bigtime by a score of 19-1.

Written By: nally on 07/10/17 at 11:07 pm

Congratulations to Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees for winning this year's Home Run Derby.

Last year's champion, Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins (host team of this year's All Star Game tomorrow), was defeated in the first round by the Yankees' Gary Sanchez. The Minnesota Twins' Miguel Sano defeated Sanchez in the semifinal round, and Judge overwhelmingly defeated Sano to win the competition.

Written By: nally on 07/12/17 at 1:38 am

American League wins the All Star Game for the fifth straight year, this time by a score of 2-1 in ten innings.

This does NOT mean that the A.L. will have home field advantage in this year's World Series. That criterion no longer applies, as of this year. (The announcement was made, sometime before the season began this year, that home field advantage of the World Series will now go to whichever pennant-winning team has the better record (winning percentage).)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/12/17 at 10:53 am

American League wins the All Star Game for the fifth straight year, this time by a score of 2-1 in ten innings.

This does NOT mean that the A.L. will have home field advantage in this year's World Series. That criterion no longer applies, as of this year. (The announcement was made, sometime before the season began this year, that home field advantage of the World Series will now go to whichever pennant-winning team has the better record (winning percentage).)

Yes!! After all these years, they finally got rid of that policy. I really didn't like it because the American League has won almost every single All-Star Game since 1997, and it wasn't fair to the National League. Even though I'm still disappointed that the NL lost this year, I wouldn't mind to say that home-field advantage finally goes to a pennant winner with a better record.

Written By: nally on 07/12/17 at 11:45 am

Yes!! After all these years, they finally got rid of that policy. I really didn't like it because the American League has won almost every single All-Star Game since 1997, and it wasn't fair to the National League. Even though I'm still disappointed that the NL lost this year, I wouldn't mind to say that home-field advantage finally goes to a pennant winner with a better record.

I know, that was really a bummer when the NL went 13 straight seasons without winning an ASG (including the infamous tie in '02). And when the aforementioned home-field-advantage rule was implemented in '03, the AL won most of the time (except for 2010 thru 2012), which hardly seemed fair. I agree that HFA should go to the team with the better record. (If this rule had been implemented last year, the Cubs would have gotten HFA no matter what.)

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/12/17 at 11:57 am

I know, that was really a bummer when the NL went 13 straight seasons without winning an ASG (including the infamous tie in '02). And when the aforementioned home-field-advantage rule was implemented in '03, the AL won most of the time (except for 2010 thru 2012), which hardly seemed fair. I agree that HFA should go to the team with the better record. (If this rule had been implemented last year, the Cubs would have gotten HFA no matter what.)

Well that's because the Cubs won over 100 games during the 2016 season. They were expected to win in most United States cities, considering they haven't had a WS title in over 100 years. But frankly, MLB should've realized that the American League has an advantage with their designated hitter rule and went with the better-record HFA policy.

Written By: nally on 07/12/17 at 5:56 pm

Well that's because the Cubs won over 100 games during the 2016 season. They were expected to win in most United States cities, considering they haven't had a WS title in over 100 years. But frankly, MLB should've realized that the American League has an advantage with their designated hitter rule and went with the better-record HFA policy.

That's true; even in last year's WS, Kyle Schwarber of the Cubs was limited to hitting, and not playing the field (because he'd been injured for a good part of last year), therefore the AL having HFA for games 1,2,6,and 7 enabled Joe Maddon to use him as a DH, which certainly helped.

Written By: nally on 07/15/17 at 11:41 am

Well...with the All-Star Break over with, teams resumed play yesterday, and there were some interesting games...

Dodgers were down to their final strike in Miami against the Marlins, but Yasiel Puig hit a three-run homer to give L.A. a 6-4 lead (there were two guys on) and eventually the win.

Red Sox came from behind in the 9th inning against the Yankees to win 5-4 on a bases-loaded walk. Aroldis chapman could not record an out.

Written By: nally on 07/15/17 at 10:39 pm

L.A. Dodgers rookie Cody Bellinger has hit for the cycle, en route to a 7-1 victory over the Marlins!

It was the third cycle in LOS ANGELES Dodgers history (several players did so when the team was in Brooklyn)... the only other two Dodgers who hit for a cycle were Wes Parker against the Mets in 1970 and Orlando Hudson against the Giants in 2009.

Written By: nally on 07/16/17 at 5:23 pm

Dodgers sweep the Marlins!

Written By: nally on 07/19/17 at 3:04 pm

Dodgers made it 10 wins in a row with a 1-0 victory over the White Sox last night (in what is now known as Guaranteed Rate Field; it used to be called U.S. Cellular Field... I dunno why so many ballparks seem to get renamed). L.A. had a chance to score more, but could not come through. Still, this gives Kershaw his 15th win; he is now 15-2 on the season.

Written By: nally on 07/19/17 at 7:06 pm

Meanwhile, today the Cubs completed a sweep of the Braves in Atlanta.

Written By: nally on 07/19/17 at 11:18 pm

Dodgers win a rain-shortened game against the White Sox, 9-1. This gives LAD an 11-game winning streak, their first in almost 11 years. (From July 28 thru August 8th of 2006, they won that many in a row.)

Written By: nally on 07/21/17 at 10:42 am

Dodgers' win streak came to an end tonight, thanks in part to some crappy pitching by Brandon McCarthy against the Atlanta Braves.

Written By: nally on 07/23/17 at 11:00 pm

Dodgers won today, to split the series with the Braves right down the middle... but ace starter Clayton Kershaw only went two innings, coming out after feeling an injury. :-[ Worse, he was just placed on the DL and may be on there a while. When I found that out, I thought, "Oh no, this is almost like a repeat of last year with him" (since he was on the DL for much of last summer); I sure hope they can find a good starter in his absence. (I don't trust Brandon McCarthy; he hasn't been too reliable as of late.) But the "trade deadline" is coming up soon; maybe they can find a decent trade target out there who is a decent starting pitcher.

Written By: nally on 07/25/17 at 5:29 pm

Bartolo Colon, who was recently signed by the Minnesota Twins after getting cut loose by the Atlanta Braves, made a start against the Dodgers last night at Dodger Stadium (in the Twins' first-ever visit there since 2005), but did not get the decision. That's due in part to Cody Bellinger hitting a 3-run come-from-behind homerun in the 8th inning to give the Dodgers a 6-4 lead; L.A. would win by that score.

Written By: nally on 07/26/17 at 12:07 pm

And so the Dodgers win again, giving them 70 wins on the season. Yesterday's game, however, was delayed for almost 20 minutes when someone reportedly batted out of order in a double-switch. Still, this gives the Dodgers an 11-3 record in interleague play this year (which means they've clinched a winning record against the AL this year, for the first time since 2014). Today they go for a sweep.

Written By: nally on 07/27/17 at 5:41 pm

And last night the Dodgers completed a sweep of the Twins! They were actually down 5-0 at one point, and they remained behind until the 8th inning, when they were down 5-4 and Minnesota manager Paul Molitor decided to put in his closer, Brandon Kintzler, to attempt a 5-out save. The strategy backfired. Dodgers tied it up 5-all, then walked it off in the 9th.

Written By: nally on 07/29/17 at 2:43 pm

With the non-waiver trade deadline approaching, some teams have made trades already. Case in point: the Mets have traded Lucas Duda to the Tampa Ray Bays.

Written By: nally on 07/31/17 at 11:51 am

With the non-waiver trade deadline approaching, some teams have made trades already. Case in point: the Mets have traded Lucas Duda to the Tampa Ray Bays.

...and pitcher Jaime Garcia was traded for the second time this month, from the Twins to the Yankees.

Also, Rockies got catcher Jonathan Lucroy from the Rangers.

Written By: nally on 07/31/17 at 5:54 pm

Speaking of big trades... Yu Darvish (Texas Rangers) was just traded to the L.A. Dodgers this afternoon! :o :o

Written By: nally on 08/01/17 at 11:55 pm

Dodgers narrowly won another game today... this time 3-2 over the Braves in Atlanta.

Newly acquired reliever Tony Watson (whom they got from the Pirates) allowed a baserunner in the 8th inning, but got out of it when Freddy Freeman popped up to end it. In the 9th, Kenly Jansen was lights out.

This makes 75 wins for the Dodgers (to go with only 31 losses)! That's the best 106-game start for any MLB team since the 1940s!

Written By: nally on 08/05/17 at 11:05 am

...and Yu Darvish was impressive in his Dodger debut last night at Citi Field against the Mets. He pitched 7 scoreless innings, and the bullpen kept the Mets off the board in the other 2 innings.

So this gives the Dodgers 77 wins, to go with only 32 losses. What's more, they are 42 and 7 in their last 49 games...the best 49-game stretch for any NL team since 1944 (STL Cardinals). They are on pace to win 114 games this year, which would equal the 1998 Yankees' record.

Written By: nally on 08/07/17 at 11:37 am

Dodgers have just completed a season-series sweep of the Mets. (With apologies to any Mets fans here.)

Written By: nally on 08/08/17 at 11:37 pm

In the last two days (Sunday and Monday), we lost two former MLB stars: Darren Daulton at age 55, and Don Baylor at age 68. :\'( :\'(

Daulton, a longtime Phillies catcher in the 80's and 90's, played his final season, 1997, with the Marlins and was on their World Series championship team. Baylor was active in the 70's and 80's for various American League teams (including the Angels, winning the AL MVP award in 1979) and later went on to manage the Colorado Rockies for their first six years of existence (1993 thru 1998), as well as the Chicago Cubs in the early 2000s; he also was a coach for various teams during the final 15+ years of his life.

Written By: nally on 08/11/17 at 1:21 pm

Yu Darvish picked up another win as a member of the Dodgers, although he had to labor through 5 innings in order to do so. Dodgers' record is now 81 and 33, which means they cannot have a losing record this year! (They are still on pace to win more than 100 games for the first time since 1974.)

Written By: nally on 08/13/17 at 5:30 pm

Dodgers are now assured of a winning record this year, for the 7th straight season (and 11th in 12 years). They won their 82nd game last night, a come-from-behind win over the Padres; this is the fastest pace at which they've achieved 82 wins.

Written By: nally on 08/16/17 at 11:11 am

So the Dodgers came from behind yet again to win last night's game against the Whitesox. They are now 50 games above the .500 mark (first time for them since they were in Brooklyn), with 50 home wins now.

I wish someone else would contribute to this thread...it's getting kinda lonesome being the only contributor during the past month.

Written By: nally on 08/17/17 at 7:22 pm

Although Yu Darvish did not pitch too well last night (on his birthday), the Dodgers overcame their deficit in the 9th inning to get him off the hook, and achieve another walkoff win! Not only that, they ended up sweeping the season series vs the White Sox this year. It is the first time since 1997 that the Dodgers have swept an interleague opponent both home and away. (In 1997, the very first year of interleague play, the Dodgers won both games against the Angels at Dodger Stadium, and both games at Angel Stadium. From 1998 through 2012 the only AL opponent they faced both home and away was the Angels.)

Written By: nally on 08/18/17 at 10:40 pm

Dodgers won at Comerica Park for the first time since 2003, an 8-5 victory over the Tigers. This gives them a record of 86 wins and 34 losses. Magic number to clinch the division is now at 23. (Usually no one thinks to talk magic numbers in mid-August, but the Dodgers are on quite a streak as of late.)

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 8:45 pm

...and today the Tigers averted a sweep at the hands of the Dodgers. Still, LAD finishes their 2017 interleague schedule with a major league best 16-4 record. That's impressive.

Written By: nally on 08/23/17 at 9:35 pm

So, yesterday Adrian Gonzalez got his 2,000th career hit...a double to help the Dodgers eventually win.

Today, however, was a different story. Dodger starting pitcher Rich Hill had a perfect game going through 8 innings... but in the 9th an error allowed the first batter to reach base. So the no-hitter was still intact. Still, he retired the next three batters he faced. Dodgers, meanwhile, couldn't cash in on any scoring opportunities. So they, too, had a goose-egg, hence the need for a 10th inning. No runs came through for L.A. in the 10th...and Rich Hill went out for the bottom of the 10th... and gave up a homer to Josh Harrison, thus being a tough-luck loser. :(

Written By: nally on 08/25/17 at 11:26 pm

Several suspensions/fines were handed out in yesterday's (Thursday) Yankees-Tigers game.

Written By: nally on 08/28/17 at 10:40 am

Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins hit his 50th home run of the season yesterday. He just might get to 60 this year. (If he does, I hope he's not taking anything naughty.)

Written By: nally on 08/28/17 at 2:39 pm

Now the Astros have a homestand coming up...makes me wonder how (or where) they're gonna play since Houston has been devastated by the Hurricane Harvey over the weekend. :-[

Written By: nally on 08/29/17 at 5:33 pm

Now the Astros have a homestand coming up...makes me wonder how (or where) they're gonna play since Houston has been devastated by the Hurricane Harvey over the weekend. :-[

The series is gonna be played at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, FL (the home of the Tampa Bay Rays).

Written By: nally on 08/31/17 at 5:32 pm

Arrrrghhh, I am so disgusted with the Dodgers right now! Seems like each of the last few games, their starting pitchers have been giving up too many runs to the opposition! >:( >:( >:( And now it appears they are going to be swept for the first time this year. :-[

Written By: nally on 09/02/17 at 11:54 am

Dodgers finally won another game last night. Clayton Kershaw was back; he pitched 6 innings without allowing a run, but the offense got him only one run of support. Still, this was enough for him to win, and the team to beat the Padres 1-zip.

Written By: nally on 09/04/17 at 12:37 am

Cody Bellinger (L.A. Dodgers) sets the team rookie record with his 36th home run of the season, but unfortunately it isn't enough for the team to win a game not started by Kershaw. The pitching needs work, seriously.

I'll be going to the game this Wednesday night with my family, btw.

Written By: nally on 09/06/17 at 2:15 pm

The pitching needs work, seriously.

Still!! Last night they just could not come through when they needed to...again. >:(

I'll be going to the game this Wednesday night with my family, btw.

And hopefully they'll do well this time. They're gonna lose their (once double-digit) lead in the NL West division if they don't produce a winning streak again soon. I want to see them win when I go to the stadium tonight.

Written By: nally on 09/07/17 at 5:45 pm

Still!! Last night they just could not come through when they needed to...again. >:(

And hopefully they'll do well this time. They're gonna lose their (once double-digit) lead in the NL West division if they don't produce a winning streak again soon. I want to see them win when I go to the stadium tonight.

...unfortunately they didn't. They scored first, in the first inning, but not again after that... and they didn't even get any more hits after the third inning. Bullpen allowed the go-ahead run(s) in the 7th. :-\\

Still, I had a good time being at the stadium!

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 8:26 pm

Cleveland Indians have won 17 in a row now! :o

I think I may just cheer for them in the World Series, since the Dudgers are just on a downfall right now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 8:43 pm

Cleveland Indians have won 17 in a row now! :o

I think I may just cheer for them in the World Series, since the Dudgers are just on a downfall right now.

The Dodgers always choke come playoff time. They haven't won a WS since you were an 8 year old :P.

Anyways, The Tribe are RED HOT right now.

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 8:53 pm

The Dodgers always choke come playoff time. They haven't won a WS since you were an 8 year old :P.

Something I am well aware of; I even remember watching the games on TV. (In fact I have plenty of memories of that year.) They haven't even been to the WS since that year either.

They had been doing so well this year for the most part...until they hit a skid two weeks ago. :(

Anyways, The Tribe are RED HOT right now.

Indeed they are... winning 17 in a row is quite remarkable. Currently they have the second-best record in the American League; they have the same number of wins as the Astros but two more losses than them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 8:56 pm

Something I am well aware of; I even remember watching the games on TV. (In fact I have plenty of memories of that year.) They haven't even been to the WS since that year either.

They had been doing so well this year for the most part...until they hit a skid two weeks ago. :(

Yeah, all of that is true.

The Yankees haven't won a WS since I was 10 (2009). However, they have won 3 World Series in my lifetime (1999, 2000, 2009).

Indeed they are... winning 17 in a row is quite remarkable. Currently they have the second-best record in the American League; they have the same number of wins as the Astros but two more losses than them.

Yep.

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 8:59 pm

The Yankees haven't won a WS since I was 10 (2009). However, they have won 3 World Series in my lifetime (1999, 2000, 2009).
Yep.

Of course, the NYY have won the most WSes, more than any other franchise.

But you did get to see them win it in '09?

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:00 pm

LAD also won the WS in 1981, but I have no remembrance of that because I was only a year old. But I am aware of their accomplishments from having read/heard about them. I am also aware of most of the team's history, due to being a fan of theirs ever since I first learned about baseball as a little kid.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 9:06 pm

Of course, the NYY have won the most WSes, more than any other franchise.

But you did get to see them win it in '09?

Yes. I got to see them win in '09. That was a great year for NYC and I was so happy :D.

I want them to win another one soon though.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 9:07 pm

LAD also won the WS in 1981, but I have no remembrance of that because I was only a year old. But I am aware of their accomplishments from having read/heard about them. I am also aware of most of the team's history, due to being a fan of theirs ever since I first learned about baseball as a little kid.

That's great!

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:10 pm

Yes. I got to see them win in '09. That was a great year for NYC and I was so happy :D.

I want them to win another one soon though.

I wasn't rooting for them that year, but in a way I think it was good for them because it was the first season in their new Yankee Stadium ballpark.

On Monday they are scheduled to open a road series against the Tampa Ray Bays, but the series will be moved to Citi Field, the Mets' home stadium, due to Hurricane Irma.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 9:14 pm

I wasn't rooting for them that year, but in a way I think it was good for them because it was the first season in their new Yankee Stadium ballpark.

Yeah, it was a great inaugural season at the new Yankee Stadium.

On Monday they are scheduled to open a road series against the Tampa Ray Bays, but the series will be moved to Citi Field, the Mets' home stadium, due to Hurricane Irma.

Yep...so I've heard.

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:18 pm

Yeah, it was a great inaugural season at the new Yankee Stadium.
Yep...so I've heard.

It also makes me wonder what the Marlins will do when they start their next homestand... on Friday of next week.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/09/17 at 9:19 pm

It also makes me wonder what the Marlins will do when they start their next homestand... on Friday of next week.

Yeah, it could be a very tricky situation.

Written By: nally on 09/09/17 at 9:23 pm

Yeah, it could be a very tricky situation.

They'll probably make a plan next week.

When the Astros had to relocate their home series with the Rangers in late August due to Hurricane Harvey, they did so at Tropicana Field (home of the Rays)... but after that they could return home over the weekend (when they postponed their Friday game to the next day as part of a doubleheader).

Written By: nally on 09/12/17 at 6:17 pm

Will the Cleveland Indians win their 20th in a row tonight? We'll see...

Written By: nally on 09/12/17 at 11:25 pm

Will the Cleveland Indians win their 20th in a row tonight? We'll see...

And they did! Corey Kluber went the distance and tossed a shutout against the Detroit Tigers.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/12/17 at 11:38 pm

And they did! Corey Kluber went the distance and tossed a shutout against the Detroit Tigers.

Awesome! :D

Written By: nally on 09/12/17 at 11:42 pm

Awesome! :D

Yep... the 20-win streak ties an American League record, set by the Oakland A's 15 years ago.

However, there have been two streaks longer than that, both by NL teams: the 1935 Cubs (21 consecutive wins) and the 1916 Giants (26).

Written By: nally on 09/13/17 at 12:58 am

DODGERS FINALLY WON ANOTHER GAME!!

They beat the Giants 5-3 to put an end to an 11-game skid.

Written By: nally on 09/13/17 at 10:58 pm

Yep... the 20-win streak ties an American League record, set by the Oakland A's 15 years ago.

However, there have been two streaks longer than that, both by NL teams: the 1935 Cubs (21 consecutive wins) and the 1916 Giants (26).

And today the Tribe made it 21 in a row, setting a new American League record.

This ties the 1935 Cubs' 21-game win streak for 2nd place on the all-time list.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/13/17 at 11:06 pm

And today the Tribe made it 21 in a row, setting a new American League record.

This ties the 1935 Cubs' 21-game win streak for 2nd place on the all-time list.

HISTORIC! Congrats to Cleveland!

Written By: nally on 09/14/17 at 6:00 pm

If they win tonight it will be 22 straight, which would have sole possession of 2nd place on the all time list.

Written By: nally on 09/14/17 at 6:02 pm

Dodgers, meanwhile, finally put together a new winning streak last night! Not only that, they won a game not started by Kershaw. Yu Darvish pitched well against the Giants over 7 innings, not allowing a run, and the team managed to preserve the lead (altho the bullpen allowed a run in the 9th). Still, he picked up the win and decreased the team's magic number to 7.

Now they travel to the nation's capital to face the Washington Nationals, who clinched the NL East a few days ago.

Written By: nally on 09/14/17 at 11:58 pm

If they win tonight it will be 22 straight, which would have sole possession of 2nd place on the all time list.

Yep, they did it!

They were actually down 2-1 in the 9th inning, one strike away from losing it...but they tied it up... and then won it in the 10th.

I need to re-quote this post.

Written By: nally on 09/15/17 at 11:07 pm

...and tonight the Indians' win streak was ended. They still hold the best record in the American League, 2 1/2 games better than the Astros entering play today.

Dodgers, on the other hand, still hold the best record in the National League; they blanked the Washington Nationals in D.C. 7-zip. Glad to see them getting back on track. O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 11:14 pm

...and tonight the Indians' win streak was ended. They still hold the best record in the American League, 2 1/2 games better than the Astros entering play today.

Dodgers, on the other hand, still hold the best record in the National League; they blanked the Washington Nationals in D.C. 7-zip. Glad to see them getting back on track. O0

It was an INCREDIBLE streak. Props to the Indians even though the streak ended today.

Also, congrats on the Dodgers win.

Written By: nally on 09/15/17 at 11:16 pm

It was an INCREDIBLE streak. Props to the Indians even though the streak ended today.

Yes, 22 in a row is quite remarkable. You don't see that very often at all.

Also, congrats on the Dodgers win.

Yep, that's three in a row for them. They are also trying to maintain the best NL record so that they can get the top seed in the NL. Magic number for clinching the division is down to 6, pending what the Arizona Dbacks do tonight in San Fran.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/15/17 at 11:17 pm

Yes, 22 in a row is quite remarkable. You don't see that very often at all.

You betcha!

Yep, that's three in a row for them. They are also trying to maintain the best NL record so that they can get the top seed in the NL. Magic number for clinching the division is down to 6, pending what the Arizona Dbacks do tonight in San Fran.

Well, good luck to the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 09/15/17 at 11:19 pm

You betcha!
Well, good luck to the Dodgers.

If they can clinch the NL West division, it'll be 5 years in a row that they've done so. Hopefully they can keep up this momentum into the postseason.

Written By: nally on 09/16/17 at 12:26 pm

They are also trying to maintain the best NL record so that they can get the top seed in the NL. Magic number for clinching the division is down to 6, pending what the Arizona Dbacks do tonight in San Fran.

Dbacks beat the Giants, thereby keeping the Dodgers' magic number at 6.

Astros are likely to clinch the AL West pretty soon; a win for them combined with a loss for the Angels would do it.

Written By: nally on 09/17/17 at 7:30 pm

Astros are likely to clinch the AL West pretty soon; a win for them combined with a loss for the Angels would do it.

Astros won yesterday, but so did the Angels.

But the Stros won today to clinch the AL West division for the first time ever. The last time that team won a division title was in 2001 when they were part of the NL Central. (They also won the NL Wildcard in 2004 and lost the NLCS to the Cardinals, won the NL Wildcard in 2005 and beat the Cardinals in the NLCS but got swept in their lone World Series appearance. Ten years later they won a wildcard to reach the postseason for the first time ever as an AL team.)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/17/17 at 7:31 pm

Astros won yesterday, but so did the Angels.

But the Stros won today to clinch the AL West division for the first time ever. The last time that team won a division title was in 2001 when they were part of the NL Central. (They also won the NL Wildcard in 2004 and lost the NLCS to the Cardinals, won the NL Wildcard in 2005 and beat the Cardinals in the NLCS but got swept in their lone World Series appearance. Ten years later they won a wildcard to reach the postseason for the first time ever as an AL team.)

Congrats to the Astros!

Written By: nally on 09/17/17 at 7:34 pm

Congrats to the Astros!

And the Cleveland Indians, who clinched the AL Central yesterday. This gives them back-to-back division titles.

So, three of the six divisions have been decided.

Written By: nally on 09/18/17 at 11:53 pm

Dudgers couldn't win with their ace on the mound in Philly; now I'm hoping that the Dbacks can hang on and lose in San Diego to help them out.

Written By: nally on 09/19/17 at 12:31 pm

Dudgers couldn't win with their ace on the mound in Philly; now I'm hoping that the Dbacks can hang on and lose in San Diego to help them out.

And they did. Padres 4, Demonbacks 2.

Written By: nally on 09/21/17 at 6:33 pm

I'm glad the Dodgers averted a four-game sweep in Philadelphia today.

Written By: nally on 09/23/17 at 11:36 am

Dodgers clinched the NL West last night!!!! :D ;D 8) O0 This gives them five straight division titles, and seven division titles in the last ten years.

This was especially great for former manager Tommy Lasorda, who celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday; there was even a special celebration for him just before the game.

At this point it appears likely that the Dodgers would play the NL Wildcard winner in the NLDS (which begins on Friday October 6th), but they have to maintain the best record in the NL to get the top seed.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/23/17 at 4:28 pm

I'm glad the Dodgers averted a four-game sweep in Philadelphia today.

Dodgers clinched the NL West last night!!!! :D ;D 8) O0 This gives them five straight division titles, and ten division titles in the last seven years.

This was especially great for former manager Tommy Lasorda, who celebrated his 90th birthday yesterday; there was even a special celebration for him just before the game.

At this point it appears likely that the Dodgers would play the NL Wildcard winner in the NLDS (which begins on Friday October 6th), but they have to maintain the best record in the NL to get the top seed.

Congrats! I'm just glad they didn't clinch in Philly. I don't like other teams uncorking the champagne in our yard.
I hope the Dodgers can do it, there isn't really any other team I would like to see win.

Written By: nally on 09/23/17 at 5:17 pm

Congrats! I'm just glad they didn't clinch in Philly. I don't like other teams uncorking the champagne in our yard.

yeah, that can be kindof a problem in a sense. Also it was their first home-game win in four weeks. (They had a winless homestand earlier this month, which included the game that I went to. But that's in the past now.)

I hope the Dodgers can do it, there isn't really any other team I would like to see win.

I hope so too. They haven't even reached the World Series since 1988, so they are long overdue. They just need to keep playing well; this also means that the pitchers cannot keep putting guys on base and giving up runs.

Written By: nally on 09/25/17 at 3:02 pm

Dodgers won their 99th game yesterday. The next win for them (provided they don't lose their remaining six) would give them triple-digit wins for the first time since 1974. (That year, they won the NL West division, but lost the World Series.)

Arizona Dbacks have clinched the upper wildcard spot in the NL, so they will host the NL Wild Card Game next Wednesday. Their opponent will likely be the Rockies at this point, but the Brewers or Cardinals still have a small chance at overtaking the Rockies.

Written By: nally on 09/26/17 at 5:26 pm

...and last night the Dodgers won their 100th game of the season!

Elsewhere, Aaron Judge of the NYY hit his 50th home run of the season to break the mark set by Mark McGwire 30 years ago.

Written By: nally on 09/27/17 at 12:21 pm

With 101 wins, the Dodgers have clinched the top seed in the NL. The Washington Nationals lost yesterday, and the Chicago Cubs still haven't quite clinched the NL Central yet.

Written By: nally on 09/27/17 at 8:58 pm

Chicago Cubs have just clinched the NL Central division!! (So this means they will be paired with the Washington Nationals in one half of the NLDS.)

The only remaining division that has not yet been clinched is the AL East. Boston is still holding on to the top spot, but NYY still has a chance. Right now NYY has the upper wildcard spot in the American League...and if they keep it, then their opponent in the AL Wildcard Game will be the Twins.

Written By: nally on 09/28/17 at 12:11 am

...and the Dodgers won their final regular-season home game of 2017, giving them 102 wins on the season. This ties the mark set in both 1962 and 1974 (that is, since moving to Los Angeles).

Also, in the American League... the White Sox beat the Angels in extra innings, which means that the Angels have been eliminated from postseason contention, and the Twins are definitely going to get a Wildcard spot.

Written By: nally on 09/29/17 at 12:01 am

Cleveland Indians won their 100th game of the season today... something they've only done two other times in franchise history: 1954 (111 wins) and 1995 (101 wins). The team reached the World Series both years, but lost it both times.

Elsewhere, Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins hit two more home runs today to give him 59 on the season. He still has a shot at joining the 60 home run club. No one has reached that milestone in a single season since Barry Bonds in 2001. The last player to even get 50 homers in a season was Chris Davis in 2013. And now rookie Aaron Judge has 51.

Written By: nally on 09/30/17 at 7:06 pm

Okay, all six divisions have been clinched, and all four wildcard spots have been settled.

Boston Redsox beat the Houston Astros this afternoon to secure the AL East division title. In fact, these two teams are going to face each other in the ALDS starting next Thursday, because the Cleveland Indians have the top seed in the American League.

With the Brewers losing in St. Louis, Rockies get the lower NL wildcard spot and will play the Dbacks in the NL Wildcard Game on Wednesday at Chase Field.

Written By: nally on 09/30/17 at 10:53 pm

Dodgers just won, and the Indians lost earlier. This means that the Dodgers have clinched the best record in MLB (with their 103rd win, the most in any one season since they moved west)... and home field advantage throughout the postseason! (So if the Dodgers should reach the World Series, then Games 1 & 2 will be played at Dodger Stadium. But if the Indians reach the World Series and the Dodgers don't, then they will host games 1 & 2.)

Written By: nally on 10/01/17 at 10:56 pm

So, the Dodgers finish the season with 104 wins, the most since moving out west. (They could have had more, but their early September skid kinda messed that up.)

And now that the regular season is finished, on comes the postseason! It begins with the American League Wildcard Game on Tuesday night in Yankee Stadium: Twins vs Yankees.

Written By: nally on 10/02/17 at 5:58 pm

One other note: Giancarlo Stanton of the Marlins ended the season with 59 home runs.

Written By: nally on 10/04/17 at 12:10 am

Yankees won AL Wildcard Game.

This means I'll be rooting for the Tribe in the ALDS, come Thursday. (As for Boston vs Houston, I'm fine with either team.)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/04/17 at 12:14 am

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yanks beat the Twins, 8-4 in the AL Wild Card game behind the bats of Aaron Judge and Didi Gregorius.

Wow, it was a great game and pretty crazy at the start. Now, the New York Yankees move on to face the Cleveland Indians in the ALDS on Thursday.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/04/17 at 12:16 am

Yankees won AL Wildcard Game.

This means I'll be rooting for the Tribe in the ALDS, come Thursday. (As for Boston vs Houston, I'm fine with either team.)

I know that most likely The Tribe will beat the Yanks but as a Yankees fan...I can't give up on my team.

Also, I want the Astros to DESTROY the Red Sox. The Red Sox suck! 8-P

Written By: nally on 10/04/17 at 12:23 am

Well, on the NL side I will naturally be rooting for the Dodgers, since they're my team... and they will face whichever team wins the NL Wildcard Game tomorrow night, Rockies or Dbacks. Part of me is rooting for Colorado in that one, since the Dbacks seem to have done well against the Dodgers in the regular season this year. This will be the Dodgers' first time facing a division rival in the postseason!

Written By: nally on 10/04/17 at 12:24 am

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yanks beat the Twins, 8-4 in the AL Wild Card game behind the bats of Aaron Judge and Didi Gregorius.

Wow, it was a great game and pretty crazy at the start. Now, the New York Yankees move on to face the Cleveland Indians in the ALDS on Thursday.

Yes, Aaron Judge and company had the power. I watched part of the game.

Written By: nally on 10/05/17 at 5:55 pm

So, the Dbacks won the NL Wildcard Game, even though the Rockies did all they could to rally back.

So this means the Dodgers will face off against Arizona in their half of the NLDS.

Written By: nally on 10/05/17 at 11:59 pm

Both ALDS Game Ones were played today.

Astros did a number on the Redsox in Houston, 8-2. Jose Altuve of the Stros hit three home runs in the game; this is the 10th time in postseason history that a single player has hit three homers in one game.

Indians handed the Yankees a goose-egg, winning 4-zip. Trevor Bauer was dominant, and the Cleveland bats did the offensive work.

Written By: nally on 10/07/17 at 4:36 pm

Both ALDSes now have two games in the books, and in both of them, one team is up 2 games to none. Astros again beat the Red Sox 8 to 2, and the Indians came back to beat the Yankees 9 to 8 in 13 innings (including a grand slam by Francisco Lindor).

And last night, both NLDSes began; Cubs blanked the Nationals in D.C. 3-zip, and the Dodgers managed to beat the Dbacks 9-5. Kershaw was not exactly at his best, but he got the "W".

Written By: nally on 10/08/17 at 12:27 am

NLDS between the Cubs and Nationals is tied up at a game apiece. In the other one, Dodgers have a 2-nothing lead on the Dbacks!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/08/17 at 10:07 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yankess defeated the Indians by the score of 1-0. Excellent pitching by Masahiro Tanaka, a HUGE Aaron Judge save and Greg Bird's towering solo homerun lead to the victory.

On to game 4 tomorrow!

Written By: nally on 10/09/17 at 12:29 pm

^ I noticed that. The Tribe even put some baserunners on in the 9th inning, but Aaroldis Chapman worked his way around it by getting Oye Como Va to fly out to end it.

Note: I was referring to Indians first baseman Carlos Santana. I purposely refer to him by a certain song title by the other guy with that name (the rock music performer), as to differentiate the two guys.

Written By: nally on 10/09/17 at 5:24 pm

Astros beat the Red Sox to advance to the ALCS. This is their first time reaching the League Championship Series since 2005, when they were in the NL, and eventually won the pennant.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/09/17 at 10:21 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yankees burst open a 4-0 lead against Cleveland and never looked back. The Yanks take down the Tribe, 7-3. Luis Severino pitched a great game and definitely rebounded from the AL Wild Card. New York ties the series at 2-2 after going down 0-2.

It's on to Progressive Field for the final game of the series, Game 5, on Wednesday.

Written By: nally on 10/10/17 at 8:04 am

^ Yep, they force a decider. Go tribe!

Dodgers, on the other hand, sweep their NLDS against the Arizona Dbacks! They will play either the Cubs or the Nationals at Dodger Stadium on Saturday night. Cubs took a 2-1 series lead yesterday.

Written By: nally on 10/10/17 at 9:25 pm

Nationals-Cubs Game Four postponed due to inclement weather. It will be played tomorrow instead.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 9:30 pm

Nationals-Cubs Game Four postponed due to inclement weather. It will be played tomorrow instead.

Yep. I saw that earlier.

Written By: nally on 10/10/17 at 9:35 pm

Yep. I saw that earlier.

And if the Cubs win, then this year's NLCS will be a rematch of last year's (with the Dodgers completing a sweep of Dbacks last night). Otherwise they'll go back to D.C. for a decider on Thursday.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/10/17 at 9:36 pm

And if the Cubs win, then this year's NLCS will be a rematch of last year's (with the Dodgers completing a sweep of Dbacks last night). Otherwise they'll go back to D.C. for a decider on Thursday.

That is correct.

Written By: nally on 10/11/17 at 8:22 pm

...and the Nationals won, 5-0, to force the decider in D.C. tomorrow.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/11/17 at 11:28 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yanks behind 2 home runs from Didi Gregorius and a clutch 2 RBI at bat from Brett Gardner defeat the Indians by the score of 5-2.

The comback is complete. The Yankees come back from being down 0-2 and win the series. It's on to the ALCS for the Yankees for the first time since 2012.

On to Houston on Friday night for Game 1 of the ALCS!

Written By: nally on 10/13/17 at 7:35 pm

NLCS is going to be a rematch of that of last year, since the Cubs won the do-or-die game of the NLDS against the Washington Nationals last night. Only this time the Dodgers will host games one and two, since this year they have the top seed in the NL.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/13/17 at 10:53 pm

The Astros win!

This is a bit painful to write but whatever. The Astros behind the pitching of their ace Dallas Kuechel and great hitting by Altuve and Correa defeat the Yankees, 2-1. The Yanks did score a run from a Greg Bird solo homerun in the 9th.

Oh well. On to Game 2 tomorrow!

I honestly think that the Yanks can split with Houston.

Written By: nally on 10/13/17 at 11:15 pm

The Astros win!

This is a bit painful to write but whatever. The Astros behind the pitching of their ace Dallas Kuechel and great hitting by Altuve and Correa defeat the Yankees, 2-1. The Yanks did score a run from a Greg Bird solo homerun in the 9th.

Oh well. On to Game 2 tomorrow!

Yep...I saw those moments of the game too (but not the whole thing; I tuned in now and then). I rooted for the Stros myself.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/13/17 at 11:21 pm

Yep...I saw those moments of the game too (but not the whole thing; I tuned in now and then). I rooted for the Stros myself.

Dallas Kuechel definitely got lucky that the Yanks missed some great opportunities. He was great but not as great as commentators are saying that he was.

Anyways, why wouldn't you want a LA vs. NY World Series? ;)

Written By: nally on 10/13/17 at 11:23 pm

Dallas Kuechel definitely got lucky that the Yanks missed some great opportunities. He was great but not as great as commentators are saying that he was.

Anyways, why wouldn't you want a LA vs. NY World Series? ;)

No offense, but I just don't like to cheer for the Yankees.* But if that series does come to fruition, I think the Dodgers could do well against 'em. (It last happened in 1981 and LAD won it in six.)

* However, last year I made an exception when the Giants faced them in interleague play. The Giants were sitting atop the NL West division when they played in the Bronx in July, and the Dodgers were moving on up. So I had to cheer for the Yanks in that series...and they took two of three. When the Giants and Yankees face e.o. in interleague play again, in 2019, I will probably root for NYY then too, depending on what point in the season they square off.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/13/17 at 11:52 pm

No offense, but I just don't like to cheer for the Yankees.* But if that series does come to fruition, I think the Dodgers could do well against 'em. (It last happened in 1981 and LAD won it in six.)

That is true but don't forget that the Yanks beat the Dodgers in back to back WS in '77 and '78 ;).

* However, last year I made an exception when the Giants faced them in interleague play. The Giants were sitting atop the NL West division when they played in the Bronx in July, and the Dodgers were moving on up. So I had to cheer for the Yanks in that series...and they took two of three. When the Giants and Yankees face e.o. in interleague play again, in 2019, I will probably root for NYY then too, depending on what point in the season they square off.

That's fine. I understand that the Yanks are "The Evil Empire". We have a lot of people who don't like us but I'm not a bitter or boastful Yanks fan :P.

Written By: nally on 10/14/17 at 9:19 am

That is true but don't forget that the Yanks beat the Dodgers in back to back WS in '77 and '78 ;).

Correct. And the two teams have faced off against each other many a time in the WS, especially during the Brooklyn years! Of course NYY had the upper hand on them just about all the time (the single exception being in 1955, when the Dodgers won their only championship in Brooklyn).

That's fine. I understand that the Yanks are "The Evil Empire". We have a lot of people who don't like us but I'm not a bitter or boastful Yanks fan :P.

Likewise, I have known a few people who were born & raised in New York and did sorta root for the Yankees, but not very much due to having little interest in sports.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/14/17 at 10:22 am

Correct. And the two teams have faced off against each other many a time in the WS, especially during the Brooklyn years! Of course NYY had the upper hand on them just about all the time (the single exception being in 1955, when the Dodgers won their only championship in Brooklyn).

Yep.

Likewise, I have known a few people who were born & raised in New York and did sorta root for the Yankees, but not very much due to having little interest in sports.

I know a few people like that myself.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/14/17 at 6:36 pm

The Astros win!

This is even more painful to type than yesterday. The Astros behind the heroics of Calos Correa, Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander defeat the Yankees, 2-1. Houston takes a 2-0 lead in the ALCS.

Game 3 is Monday in the Bronx at Yankee Stadium.

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 7:29 am

The Astros win!

This is even more painful to type than yesterday. The Astros behind the heroics of Calos Correa, Jose Altuve and Justin Verlander defeat the Yankees, 2-1. Houston takes a 2-0 lead in the ALCS.

Game 3 is Monday in the Bronx at Yankee Stadium.

Yep, both games thus far have been 2-1 wins for Houston. Good job for Verlander, going the distance and then Correa walking it off with a double (scoring Altuve all the way from first).

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 7:30 am

And the Dodgers take Game One of the NLCS!

Kershaw wasn't at his best; he gave up a two-run homer to the Cubbies, but then after he left the game, Dodgers scored five unanswered runs. Kenly Jansen got a four-out save.

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 10:06 pm

DODGERS TAKE 2-0 LEAD IN THE NLCS!

Justin Turner hit a 3-run walkoff homer in the 9th inning to win the game 4-1.

This is the first walk-off home run in the postseason for the Dodgers in exactly 29 years (Kirk Gibson, 1988 World Series Game One).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 10:39 pm

DODGERS TAKE 2-0 LEAD IN THE NLCS!

Justin Turner hit a 3-run walkoff homer in the 9th inning to win the game 4-1.

This is the first walk-off home run in the postseason for the Dodgers in exactly 29 years (Kirk Gibson, 1988 World Series Game One).

Yes! I got to watch the second half of that game.

Congrats to LA! Also, the fan who caught Turner's walkoff HR made a GREAT catch.

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 10:42 pm

Yes! I got to watch the second half of that game.

Congrats to LA! Also, the fan who caught Turner's walkoff HR made a GREAT catch.

He sure did. O0

Of course the Cubbies scored first, but then the Dodgers answered with a run in the bottom of the same inning (5th)... but it remained tied until the 9th.

Kenly Jansen, who pitched a scoreless ninth, earned the win, but was batted for in the bottom of the 9th; I guess the team anticipated a win would occur then (as they didn't seem to have anyone warming up in the pen in case it went to extras).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 10:46 pm

He sure did. O0

Of course the Cubbies scored first, but then the Dodgers answered with a run in the bottom of the same inning (5th)... but it remained tied until the 9th.

I started watching the game just before this happened.

Kenly Jansen, who pitched a scoreless ninth, earned the win, but was batted for in the bottom of the 9th; I guess the team anticipated a win would occur then (as they didn't seem to have anyone warming up in the pen in case it went to extras).

Maybe, they did :P.

Written By: nally on 10/15/17 at 10:52 pm

I started watching the game just before this happened.

awesome. O0

Maybe, they did :P.

They probably had the optimism; "We're going to win this game."

Now it's on to Chicago for Game Three on Tuesday night. I may only get to watch the first few innings of it, as I'll need to go to bed super-early, for reasons that I've mentioned in other threads.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/15/17 at 10:58 pm

awesome. O0

They probably had the optimism; "We're going to win this game."

Now it's on to Chicago for Game Three on Tuesday night. I may only get to watch the first few innings of it, as I'll need to go to bed super-early, for reasons that I've mentioned in other threads.

Yep! On to Chicago for Game 3.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/16/17 at 11:14 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yanks rout the 'Stros 8-1 behind great pitching from CC Sabathia and two 3 run HRs from Todd Frazier and Aaron Judge.

It should have been a shutout but whatever...it's a WIN! Houston now leads the series 2-1.

On to Game 4 later today back at The Stadium!

Written By: nally on 10/17/17 at 7:36 am

yup... the Evil Empire Strikes Back (with no disrespect intended). This makes Game Five necessary in the series.

Meanwhile, the NLCS continues tonight in Chicago; I mentioned in an earlier post that I will likely get to watch only the first few innings or so, since it starts at 6pm PDT (9pm Eastern; 8pm Central), and I'll need to be in bed way earlier than usual tonight.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/17/17 at 8:17 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Yanks rally late thanks to the Baby Bombers after falling down 0-4. Timely and excellent hits by Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Didi Gregorius, Todd Frazier and Chase Headley made the Yankees score 6 unanswered runs to take the lead. The Yanks defeat the Astros, 6-4.

The series is TIED AT 2! Game 5 is tomorrow back at The Stadium!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/18/17 at 11:08 am

The Dodgers win!

Los Angeles defeated the Chicago Cubs by the score of 6-1 in Game 3 of the NLCS to take a commanding 3-0 lead. The Dodgers won because of the heroics of Chris Taylor who hit a solo HR and a triple. The Dodgers bullpen continue to be lights out.

The Cubs are "tired" and are in daner of being swept at home. Game 4 is tonight at Wrigley Field!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/18/17 at 8:08 pm

THE YANKEES WIN!!!

The Bronx Bombers blank the 'Stros, 5-0. Aaron Judge hit an RBI double, Greg Bird, Chase Headley and Didi Gregorius also provided key hits. El Gary....The Kracken....The Sanchize....Sanchito....whatever you call him. GARY SANCHEZ had an RBI double and BLASTED A MONSTER SOLO HOMERUN! Then, you had Masahiro Tanaka who pitched 7 masterful innings.

The Yanks are ONE WIN AWAY from advancing to their 41st World Series!

Game 6 is Friday night in Houston at Minute Maid Park! Severino vs. Verlander...it's gonna be a good one!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/19/17 at 4:30 pm

Last night: The Cubs win!

The Chicago Cubs won Game 4 of the NLCS by the score of 3-2. Monster home runs from Willson Contreras and Javier Baez (who had 2 BOMBS) led the Cubbies to victory against LA. Jake Arrieta also pitched well for Chicago. Bellinger and Turner scored in the 2 runs for the Dodgers with solo home runs.

The Cubs extend the series...LA now lead 3-1. Will the Cubs make the improbable comeback or will LA close it out?

We'll find out soon enough. Game 5 is tonight at Wrigley!

Written By: nally on 10/25/17 at 2:35 pm

Last night: The Cubs win!

The Chicago Cubs won Game 4 of the NLCS by the score of 3-2. Monster home runs from Willson Contreras and Javier Baez (who had 2 BOMBS) led the Cubbies to victory against LA. Jake Arrieta also pitched well for Chicago. Bellinger and Turner scored in the 2 runs for the Dodgers with solo home runs.

The Cubs extend the series...LA now lead 3-1. Will the Cubs make the improbable comeback or will LA close it out?

We'll find out soon enough. Game 5 is tonight at Wrigley!

DODGERS WON last Thursday night, to advance to their first World Series in 29 years!!

(Sorry, I couldn't post anything last week, because I was away. But I was very well aware of their victory. In fact, this thread needs many an update.)

Written By: nally on 10/25/17 at 2:37 pm

Houston Astros won Games Six and Seven of the ALCS on Friday and Saturday, respectively, to advance to their second World Series in franchise history; this is their first trip there as an American League team. (In fact, the Astros have become the first franchise to reach the World Series in both leagues! In 2005 they got there as the National League winner but were swept by the White Sox.)

Written By: nally on 10/25/17 at 2:43 pm

The 2017 World Series began last night at Dodger Stadium; it was quite a game! For the most part it was a pitchers' duel between Clayton Kershaw (LAD) and Dallas Keuchel (HOU)... although the Dodgers came out on top.

Kershaw retired the first three Houston batters in order in the first inning. Then in the bottom of the first, Dodgers' centerfielder Chris Taylor homered to deep left field on the first pitch from Dallas Keuchel to give LAD a 1-zip lead. Later, in the fifth inning, Alex Bregman of the Stros led off with a home run off Kershaw to roughly the same place, tying the score at 1-1. Not too long after that, the Dodgers answered with a two-run home run from Justin Turner to untie the score, keeping it at 3-1 for good. Kershaw went 7 innings, striking out 11 batters and not walking anyone. Brandon Morrow retired all three batters he faced in the eighth inning, and Kenly Jansen closed the door.

The game lasted just under 2 1/2 hours, the shortest length of a World Series game in 25 years. (Game Four of the 1992 World Series, between the Atlanta Braves and Toronto Blue Jays, took less than three hours to complete.)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 10/25/17 at 4:06 pm

I kinda wish it would've been Yankees/Dodgers :\'(, although the Dodgers may have swept the yankees. ;D

Written By: nally on 10/25/17 at 5:29 pm

I kinda wish it would've been Yankees/Dodgers :\'(, although the Dodgers may have swept the yankees. ;D

Something that happened in 1963.

Anyway, tonight's game will be Rich Hill vs Justin Verlander. Verlander has won all nine of his starts (regular season AND postseason) since joining Houston.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/25/17 at 7:53 pm

I wished that happened as well.

Also, I assure you that the Yankees wouldn't be swept. That's what they said would have happened to the Yanks against both Cleveland and Houston and look what happened. I'm not saying that the Yanks would beat the Dodgers but they wouldn't be swept.

I would have much rather the Yankees lose to the Dodgers in the World Series than lose to the Astros in the ALCS :-\\. This current World Series is basically two National League teams facing each other :P.

Written By: nally on 10/26/17 at 6:13 pm

^ Yes, the Astros were part of the National League for their first 51 seasons of existence, but for the past five, they have been in the AL. This was so that the NL and AL would each have the same number of teams, and all six divisions would have the same number of teams (five apiece). IOW, balance.

And if the Brewers ever get back to the World Series, then they would do so as a NL team. (Their only World Series appearance in team history was 1982, when they were part of the AL; they lost that series in seven games to the Cardinals, who are now a division rival of theirs in the NL Central.)

Back to now... I was glad to see the Dodgers take the lead in the 7th, but I was unhappy to see Kenly Jansen blow the save in the 9th (he was attempting a six-out save, but it failed when he issued a game-tying homer). And I think LAD lost it in extras, which means a Game Five will be necessary Sunday night. :( :P

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/26/17 at 9:03 pm

^ Yes, the Astros were part of the National League for their first 51 seasons of existence, but for the past five, they have been in the AL. This was so that the NL and AL would each have the same number of teams, and all six divisions would have the same number of teams (five apiece). IOW, balance.

And if the Brewers ever get back to the World Series, then they would do so as a NL team. (Their only World Series appearance in team history was 1982, when they were part of the AL; they lost that series in seven games to the Cardinals, who are now a division rival of theirs in the NL Central.)

Back to now... I was glad to see the Dodgers take the lead in the 7th, but I was unhappy to see Kenly Jansen blow the save in the 9th (he was attempting a six-out save, but it failed when he issued a game-tying homer). And I think LAD lost it in extras, which means a Game Five will be necessary Sunday night. :( :P

All of that is correct.

Anyways, Game 2 was a phenomenal game! Even though, I didn't want the Astros to win. It was crazy...I thought it was over for the Astros when Jansen came in. Then, I thought it was over when Bellinger hit that long and loud flyout (it originally looked like a HR to me). Then again, I thought it was over when Altuve and Correa blasted 2 home runs to make it 5-3. Wow, what a game!

Written By: nally on 10/26/17 at 10:14 pm

Well, Puig did hit a homer in the bottom of 11th, and another string of hits tied it back up at 5... but Dodgers couldn't get that walkoff hit, apparently. :-\\

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/27/17 at 2:17 am

Well, Puig did hit a homer in the bottom of 11th, and another string of hits tied it back up at 5... but Dodgers couldn't get that walkoff hit, apparently. :-\\

Yeah, I saw all of that but...it didn't matter in the end :P :-\\.

Written By: nally on 10/27/17 at 10:00 am

Meanwhile, I just heard that the Yankees are not going to bring back manager Joe Girardi for 2018. After ten seasons, he's hitting the road.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/27/17 at 10:06 am

Meanwhile, I just heard that the Yankees are not going to bring back manager Joe Girardi for 2018. After ten seasons, he's hitting the road.

Yes, that is correct. Farewell Joe.

Written By: nally on 10/28/17 at 10:58 am

Game Three was not very good at all, from a Dodger fan's point of view. Yu Darvish just couldn't pitch sharply at all, even though he's pitched well at Minute Maid Park during his career. Offensively, L.A. couldn't cash in with runners in scoring position, either.

I certainly hope they can turn things around tonight, and win Game Four to send the series back to Dodger Stadium on Halloween.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/28/17 at 11:54 am

Game Three was not very good at all, from a Dodger fan's point of view. Yu Darvish just couldn't pitch sharply at all, even though he's pitched well at Minute Maid Park during his career. Offensively, L.A. couldn't cash in with runners in scoring position, either.

I certainly hope they can turn things around tonight, and win Game Four to send the series back to Dodger Stadium on Halloween.

Yep.

Written By: nally on 10/28/17 at 11:34 pm

YES!! DODGERS EVEN THE SERIES!! :) :D 8) O0

For the first 5 innings or so, it was a pitchers' duel between Alex Wood of the Dodgers and Charlie Moron of the Astros. But when Wood (who carried a no-no into the 6th) served up a solo homer, I thought my team was gonna probably go down 3 games to 1 and face elimination tomorrow. But the offense finally bailed him out, tying the game at 1. Cody Bellinger finally came through after being hitless in his first 13 atbats in this series. Then in the 9th inning, Dodgers put 5 runs on the board (including a 3-run homer by Joke Pederson, who was the DH for the Dodgers) and won it 6-2.

So the Astros are no longer undefeated at home this postseason!

This means there'll be a Game Six at Dodger Stadium on Halloween!! http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/halloween/cheesy.gif

Before then, they need to carry this momentum into Game Five tomorrow night, with Kershaw on the mound.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/29/17 at 10:23 am

^^^Yep, go Dodgers!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/30/17 at 12:52 am

THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THAT GAME 5!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Written By: nally on 10/30/17 at 5:41 pm

THERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE THAT GAME 5!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

In more ways than one. >:(

Personally, I think the homeplate umpire made some TERRIBLE calls on some of the pitches. There were many that landed in a specific spot outside the strike zone that were called STRIKES on Dodgers batters but BALLS on Astros batters. That ump must had been biased towards the Astros.

Hell, even Dodgers manager Dave Roberts was unhappy about 'em too.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/30/17 at 6:10 pm

In more ways than one. >:(

Personally, I think the homeplate umpire made some TERRIBLE calls on some of the pitches. There were many that landed in a specific spot outside the strike zone that were called STRIKES on Dodgers batters but BALLS on Astros batters. That ump must had been biased towards the Astros.

Hell, even Dodgers manager Dave Roberts was unhappy about 'em too.

I agree...however, the ump was terrible against BOTH teams.

As a (mostly) objective fan of this World Series, that Game 5 was ICONIC & EPIC. Both the Dodgers and Astros NEVER quit.

I still hope that the Dodgers can pull it off and win in 7 games. However, Verlander is on the mound tomorrow in Game 6 and it could be an even more spooky night for Dodgers fans on Halloween.

Written By: nally on 10/30/17 at 6:14 pm

I agree...however, the ump was terrible against BOTH teams.

You're right. In fact, I could not bear to watch during parts of the game.

As a (mostly) objective fan of this World Series, that Game 5 was ICONIC & EPIC. Both the Dodgers and Astros NEVER quit.

Again you're right. They both gave it their all (in most cases). However, both starters exited early. Even Kershaw began struggling in the 5th inning; he just could not get strike three or record the final out of said inning... that was so unlike him.

I still hope that the Dodgers can pull it off and win in 7 games. However, Verlander is on the mound tomorrow in Game 6 and it could be an even more spooky night for Dodgers fans on Halloween.

Especially with Rich Hill, a "meh" starter going for LAD. They seriously do need to win. Although in Game Two (which they SHOULD have won) Verlander was not too bad overall, even though he was in line for a tough-luck loss.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/30/17 at 10:20 pm

You're right. In fact, I could not bear to watch during parts of the game.

Again you're right. They both gave it their all (in most cases). However, both starters exited early. Even Kershaw began struggling in the 5th inning; he just could not get strike three or record the final out of said inning... that was so unlike him.

Especially with Rich Hill, a "meh" starter going for LAD. They seriously do need to win. Although in Game Two (which they SHOULD have won) Verlander was not too bad overall, even though he was in line for a tough-luck loss.

I agree with everything.

Written By: nally on 10/31/17 at 12:07 am

Attached is a shrunken/cropped version of a picture on my Facebook feed earlier. I agree with it too.

The caption was, "Did you see that umpire's strike zone?"

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 10/31/17 at 11:51 am

Attached is a shrunken/cropped version of a picture on my Facebook feed earlier. I agree with it too.

The caption was, "Did you see that umpire's strike zone?"

Yeah, I saw that on Twitter from the Burbank Police Department ;D.

Written By: nally on 10/31/17 at 11:56 pm

DODGERS WIN GAME SIX to force a decider tomorrow night!!

Astros took an early 1-0 lead, but Dodgers answered right back and scored three runs over the remaining innings; Justin Verlander gets his first loss as a member of the Astros.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/01/17 at 10:42 am

DODGERS WIN GAME SIX to force a decider tomorrow night!!

Astros took an early 1-0 lead, but Dodgers answered right back and scored three runs over the remaining innings; Justin Verlander gets his first loss as a member of the Astros.

Yep! LET'S GOOOO!!!!

It's only fitting that this series goes to a Game 7!

Written By: nally on 11/01/17 at 11:54 am

I should also add that this is not only the first time that the Dodgers will play in the month of November...but also the first time that Dodger Stadium will host a Game Seven. (In 1965, when the Dodgers won a decider against the Minnesota Twins, that game was in Minnesota, at Metropolitan Stadium, the Twins' then-home ballpark.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/01/17 at 11:06 pm

Congratulations to the Houston Astros!!! 

Written By: nally on 11/02/17 at 12:16 am

I know, over where I am there is... sadness in the air... those Dudgers couldn't get anything going! >:(

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I think Dave Roberts made a mistake in starting Yu Darvish...he was terrible! Just like in his last start (Game Three), he couldn't go past the second inning without giving up runs. This time he gave up FIVE runs in TWO innings...but thankfully his successors (starting with Kershaw) kept further Houston runs from scoring. But it just wasn't enough. I bet if he'd started Alex Wood instead, things might've turned out differently. The world will never know.
But at least we got ONE run. If Kershaw had started, maybe we would have won the game 1-nothing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/02/17 at 1:09 am

I know, over where I am there is... sadness in the air... those Dudgers couldn't get anything going! >:(

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I think Dave Roberts made a mistake in starting Yu Darvish...he was terrible! Just like in his last start (Game Three), he couldn't go past the second inning without giving up runs. This time he gave up FIVE runs in TWO innings...but thankfully his successors (starting with Kershaw) kept further Houston runs from scoring. But it just wasn't enough. I bet if he'd started Alex Wood instead, things might've turned out differently. The world will never know.
But at least we got ONE run. If Kershaw had started, maybe we would have won the game 1-nothing.

It's a game of "What Ifs". Heart breaking loss for you Dodgers fans. However, the Dodgers had a exceptional year.

Congrats to Houston and the Astros!

Written By: nally on 11/02/17 at 1:16 am

It's a game of "What Ifs". Heart breaking loss for you Dodgers fans. However, the Dodgers had a exceptional year.

Yes, definitely. They really battled all the way. It was especially heartbreaking for most of the thousands of fans in attendance. I couldn't even bear to watch for most of the game. I just spent most of the evening doing something else.

Congrats to Houston and the Astros!

Yes, a team from Texas finally has a title. And in one sense I think it is good for them, due to what they've gone through this year...especially after Hurricane Harvey devastated their city in late August.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/02/17 at 10:53 am

Yes, definitely. They really battled all the way. It was especially heartbreaking for most of the thousands of fans in attendance. I couldn't even bear to watch for most of the game. I just spent most of the evening doing something else.

Yes, a team from Texas finally has a title. And in one sense I think it is good for them, due to what they've gone through this year...especially after Hurricane Harvey devastated their city in late August.

Yep, agreed.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 11/02/17 at 11:30 am

I know almost nothing about sports, but my dad walked in my room last night with the biggest smile on his face saying the Houston Astros won, lol. He got so happy about it telling me how a team from Texas has never won, I think it's funny, but I'm happy he's happy. :)

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 12:10 am

I know almost nothing about sports, but my dad walked in my room last night with the biggest smile on his face saying the Houston Astros won, lol. He got so happy about it telling me how a team from Texas has never won, I think it's funny, but I'm happy he's happy. :)

That's true, a pro baseball team from the state of Texas had never won a title until now. The Rangers got to the WS twice in franchise history -- 2010 and 2011 -- but lost both times (although in 2011 they were one strike away, but the Cardinals had other plans). And of course the Astros' only other appearance in the WS was in 2005, when they were in the NL, but got swept by the White Sox (who captured their first title in 88 years).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 10:03 am

That's true, a pro baseball team from the state of Texas had never won a title until now. The Rangers got to the WS twice in franchise history -- 2010 and 2011 -- but lost both times (although in 2011 they were one strike away, but the Cardinals had other plans). And of course the Astros' only other appearance in the WS was in 2005, when they were in the NL, but got swept by the White Sox (who captured their first title in 88 years).

Yep, all of that is correcto.

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 2:20 pm

Yep, all of that is correcto.

Yep; I know my World Series history.

I was kinda rooting for the Rangers in 2010, since they were playing the Giants (and as a Dodger fan, I often root against the Giants), but the Giants won that series, giving the franchise its first win since moving west (and of course, they won two more titles since then).

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 2:22 pm

Now, with the season being complete... later this month we will see the various annual awards being handed out: Silver Slugger, Gold Glove, Rookies of the Year, Managers of the Year, AL/NL Cy Youngs, AL/NL MVPs.

Among Dodgers players, I think Cody Bellinger has a shot for NL Rookie Of The Year.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 4:40 pm

Yep; I know my World Series history.

I was kinda rooting for the Rangers in 2010, since they were playing the Giants (and as a Dodger fan, I often root against the Giants), but the Giants won that series, giving the franchise its first win since moving west (and of course, they won two more titles since then).

Awesome. I know my World Series history as well :D.

I was rooting for the Rangers in 2010 as well (despite them beating the Yankees in the ALCS). Mostly because of Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, Elvus Andrus and Cliff Lee. However, since I have no animosity against the San Francisco Giants...it didn't bother me that they won.

Now, with the season being complete... later this month we will see the various annual awards being handed out: Silver Slugger, Gold Glove, Rookies of the Year, Managers of the Year, AL/NL Cy Youngs, AL/NL MVPs.

Among Dodgers players, I think Cody Bellinger has a shot for NL Rookie Of The Year.

Cody Bellinger is definitely going to win NL Rookie of the Year.

Among Yankees players, Aaron Judge is the AL Rookie of the Year...no doubt.

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 5:22 pm

Awesome. I know my World Series history as well :D.

I was rooting for the Rangers in 2010 as well (despite them beating the Yankees in the ALCS). Mostly because of Josh Hamilton, Ian Kinsler, Elivis Andrus and Cliff Lee. However, since I have no animosity against the San Francisco Giants...it didn't bother me that they won.
Cody Bellinger is definitely going to win NL Rookie of the Year.

Yep, those players were good. And I wasn't totally bothered about the Giants winning that series either...in fact, they, like the Dodgers, are also a California team, and for them to finally bring a World Series title to the city of San Francisco after three failed attempts (1962, 1989, and 2002) was certainly a great accomplishment. (Giants had good pitching that year, too, especially with the then-21-year-old MadBum pitching a gem in Game Four.)

However, if a 1962 World Series rematch ever came to fruition (that is, Giants vs Yankees), then I would root for Giants. (I even rooted for them in the 2002 NLDS, as well as that of 2010, because they were paired with the Braves both times, and I don't like to cheer for the Braves in the postseason due to their Tomohawk Chant.)

Among Yankees players, Aaron Judge is the AL Rookie of the Year...no doubt.

Oh yeah. I think he deserves it. O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 5:33 pm

Yep, those players were good. And I wasn't totally bothered about the Giants winning that series either...in fact, they, like the Dodgers, are also a California team, and for them to finally bring a World Series title to the city of San Francisco after three failed attempts (1962, 1989, and 2002) was certainly a great accomplishment. (Giants had good pitching that year, too, especially with the then-21-year-old MadBum pitching a gem in Game Four.)

However, if a 1962 World Series rematch ever came to fruition (that is, Giants vs Yankees), then I would root for Giants. (I even rooted for them in the 2002 NLDS, as well as that of 2010, because they were paired with the Braves both times, and I don't like to cheer for the Braves in the postseason due to their Tomohawk Chant.)

I see that you really don't like the Yankees ;D. Most Dodgers fans HATE the Giants and would probably cheer for the Yankees over the Giants if they met in the World Series.

Oh yeah. I think he deserves it. O0

He most certainly does O0.

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 5:38 pm

I see that you really don't like the Yankees ;D. Most Dodgers fans HATE the Giants and would probably cheer for the Yankees over the Giants if they met in the World Series.

Well, they've played in more World Serieses than any other team (they've gotten there 40 times) and won more titles than any other team (27 to be exact), and during the latter part of the 1990s and into the 2000s I was sick of them making the playoffs just about every year. (From 1995 through 2012 the only time they didn't get in was 2008, when they finished in third place in AL East.)

However, when the Giants and Yankees meet in interleague play, I root for the Yankees. (In fact, earlier in this thread I mentioned how I did so in July of last year when they played each other, and that the Dodgers were chasing the Giants.) So in 2019 I will do so again, depending on what point in the season they are scheduled to play each other.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 6:27 pm

Well, they've played in more World Serieses than any other team (they've gotten there 40 times) and won more titles than any other team (27 to be exact), and during the latter part of the 1990s and into the 2000s I was sick of them making the playoffs just about every year. (From 1995 through 2012 the only time they didn't get in was 2008, when they finished in third place in AL East.)

However, when the Giants and Yankees meet in interleague play, I root for the Yankees. (In fact, earlier in this thread I mentioned how I did so in July of last year when they played each other, and that the Dodgers were chasing the Giants.) So in 2019 I will do so again, depending on what point in the season they are scheduled to play each other.

I understand. No worries.

Interestingly enough, my 10th grade Algebra teacher is from the San Francisco Bay Area (Newark, CA) and he's a big fan of the San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Golden State Warriors and San Jose Sharks. He absolutely HATES everything from Los Angeles (ESPECIALLY the Dodgers ;D).

Written By: nally on 11/03/17 at 7:49 pm

I understand. No worries.

Interestingly enough, my 10th grade Algebra teacher is from the San Francisco Bay Area (Newark, CA) and he's a big fan of the San Francisco Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Golden State Warriors and San Jose Sharks. He absolutely HATES everything from Los Angeles (ESPECIALLY the Dodgers ;D).

I actually know some people who are Giants fans, but I am on good terms with them.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/03/17 at 8:18 pm

I actually know some people who are Giants fans, but I am on good terms with them.

That's great!

Unfortunately, Dodgers and Giants fans aren't on good terms in general (look what happened to Bryan Stow :\'().

Written By: nally on 11/04/17 at 11:49 am

That's great!

Unfortunately, Dodgers and Giants fans aren't on good terms in general (look what happened to Bryan Stow :\'().

Yes, it was unfortunate that he got attacked (way back at the start of the 2011 season). He showed signs of recovery, but it has been determined that he will never totally recover, which is sad. :-[

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/04/17 at 3:42 pm

Yes, it was unfortunate that he got attacked (way back at the start of the 2011 season). He showed signs of recovery, but it has been determined that he will never totally recover, which is sad. :-[

Yep, terrible situation all around :-\\.

Written By: nally on 11/04/17 at 9:55 pm

Yep, terrible situation all around :-\\.

And I think it was totally inexcusable for that person to flat out attack him. >:(

Anyways, the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove award winners are gonna be announced next week. The nominees were already announced before the World Series ended.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/07/17 at 10:47 pm

Heartbreaking news: Former Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and future Baseball Hall of Hamer Roy "Doc" Halladay has died today at the age of 40 in a plane crash off the coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico.

He leaves behind a wife and 2 kids. I am completely saddened by his passing. Roy was one of the first players that I heard of when I started watching baseball and I was always a fan of him.

#RIP32 #RIP34 #RoyHalladay

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/08/17 at 12:28 am

Completely tragic...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOE6GdlXUAAyiVY?format=jpg

Written By: nally on 11/08/17 at 11:33 am

Heartbreaking news: Former Toronto Blue Jays and Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and future Baseball Hall of Hamer Roy "Doc" Halladay has died today at the age of 40 in a plane crash off the coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico.

He leaves behind a wife and 2 kids. I am completely saddened by his passing. Roy was one of the first players that I heard of when I started watching baseball and I was always a fan of him.

#RIP32 #RIP34 #RoyHalladay

indeed. :\'( :\'(

I even posted a thread on his passing in the Celebrity Heaven section:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56431.0

Written By: nally on 11/13/17 at 10:29 pm

Rookies Of The Year were announced today. Both were unanimously selected.

In the American League, New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge won, hands down. I knew he'd be the likely choice! O0

In the National League, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder/first baseman Cody Bellinger got the nod. O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/14/17 at 11:24 am

Rookies Of The Year were announced today. Both were unanimously selected.

In the American League, New York Yankees outfielder Aaron Judge won, hands down. I knew he'd be the likely choice! O0

In the National League, Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder/first baseman Cody Bellinger got the nod. O0

Awesome! 8)

Written By: nally on 11/14/17 at 5:24 pm

Awesome! 8)

And today the Manager Of The Year awards will be handed out. In fact, the presentation show is on MLB Network right now, and I'm recording it on the DVR so I can watch it later.

Written By: nally on 11/14/17 at 11:02 pm

2017 Managers Of The Year:

American League - Paul Molitor, Minnesota Twins
National League - Torey Lovullo, Arizona Diamondbacks

Both of these winners helped turn their respective teams around from the previous season...and even won a wildcard spot in their respective leagues!

Molitor, whose Twins lost more than a hundred games last year, led the team to capture the lower American League wildcard spot this year (but lost the do-or-die game to the NYY), and becomes the second Hall-Of-Fame player to win Manager Of The Year award (the other being Frank Robinson who won it in 1989).

Lovullo, a first-year manager for the Dbacks, edged out last year's winner, Dave Roberts of the Dodgers (who was a first-year manager last year); under Lovullo, the Dbacks finished this year with a record opposite that of last year (they were 69 and 93 in 2016; 93 and 69 in 2017), and got the upper National League wildcard spot (they won the do-or-die game over the Colorado Rockies, whose manager Bud Black finished third in the race for the NL award).

Written By: nally on 11/15/17 at 10:59 pm

Congratulations to Corey Kluber (Cleveland Indians) and Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals) for winning the 2017 Cy Young Awards.

Both pitchers had previously won it. Now they join the likes of Clayton Kershaw (who came in second in the NL voting) as multiple CYA winners.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 11/16/17 at 10:37 am

Congratulations to Corey Kluber (Cleveland Indians) and Max Scherzer (Washington Nationals) for winning the 2017 Cy Young Awards.

Both pitchers had previously won it. Now they join the likes of Clayton Kershaw (who came in second in the NL voting) as multiple CYA winners.

Congrats to them!

Written By: nally on 11/16/17 at 5:24 pm

Congrats to them!

Part of me was hoping that Kersh would get it on the NL (which would have given him 4 altogether), but he missed some time in the summer months due to injury. Still, Scherz was deserving of it nonetheless.

Written By: nally on 11/16/17 at 11:48 pm

And the 2017 awards concluded today with the league MVP's. Jose Altuve of the Astros won by far on the American League side; Giancarlo Stanton of the Miami Marlins edged out Joey Votto of the Reds on the National League side.

Check for new replies or respond here...