inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which NBA Trade was worse?

Written By: tv on 06/24/17 at 10:49 pm

The question is which NBA trade was worse:

1.) This trade makes me feel ill in my stomach because its an awful Brooklyn Nets trade made in 2013 and I am from New Jersey. So here is the trade: Nets receive Paul Pierce , Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry, D.J. White and give away Keith Bogans, Marshon Brooks,  Kris Joseph, Gerald Wallace, a 2014 First Round Pick(James Young was later selected), a 2016 first round pick(turned out to be Jaylen Brown, a good role player I might add), and a 2018 first round pick. Boston got the number 1 overall pick from Brooklyn for this past draft(2017) and swapped picks with the Philadelphia 76ers(who selected Markelle Faultz.) Why this was a bad trade: 1 too many players, and 2 draft picks that shouldn't have been traded away. The Nets should have given the Celtics 2 first round picks and not 4 first rounders. KG and Paul Pierce were already in the mid 30's age wise already and Jason Terry wasn't the Jason Terry that played for the Hawks and the Mavericks. Now the Nets have to draft solid role players and eventually put a superstar(out of the draft) around those role players once the trade with Boston is over following the 2018 Draft.

2.) In 2011 the LA Clippers traded away Baron Davis to the Cleveland Cavaliers along with a 2011 first round pick(turned out to be the first overall pick and Kyrie Irving was selected) for Jamario Moon and Mo Williams. Why this is a bad trade:Kyrie Irving who have made a good backcourt mate to Chris Paul but instead you get Mo Williams who was basically transitioning into a bench player at that time and away from a starters role. In addition the Clippers could use Kyrie Irving right now since it looks like Chris Paul is leaving via free agency to the San Antonio Spurs.

3.) The Oklahoma City Thunder trade away James Harden, Cole Aldrich, Daequan Cook, and Lazar Hayward to the Houston Rockets for Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin, and a 2013 first round pick(Steven Adams was later selected) a 2013 second round pick Alex Abrines was later selected, and a 2014 first round pick(Mitch McGary was later selected.) Why this is a bad trade: I think if OKC had to do it again thy may not have done this trade because they wanted to pay Serge Ibaka therefore that made James Harden trade bait. Ibaka is no longer on the Thunder. I didn't think Harden had the potential to be a top player in the league in 2013 but he has proven that not to be the case. He will probably be the MVP this year once the awards are given out for the 2016-2017 season. At least the Thunder got Steven Adams out of the deal and he has proven to be a good player. Another downside is Kevin Martin only stayed with OKC for a season and left to go to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Subject: Re: Which NBA Trade was worse?

Written By: Willmisses2004 on 07/07/17 at 11:21 am

I say 1 because of the situation they ended up in post trade. At the time, I didn't think it was that bad. I thought they could still work it out together at what 36, 37?

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/09/17 at 2:25 pm

The question is which NBA trade was worse:

1.) This trade makes me feel ill in my stomach because its an awful Brooklyn Nets trade made in 2013 and I am from New Jersey. So here is the trade: Nets receive Paul Pierce , Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry, D.J. White and give away Keith Bogans, Marshon Brooks,  Kris Joseph, Gerald Wallace, a 2014 First Round Pick(James Young was later selected), a 2016 first round pick(turned out to be Jaylen Brown, a good role player I might add), and a 2018 first round pick. Boston got the number 1 overall pick from Brooklyn for this past draft(2017) and swapped picks with the Philadelphia 76ers(who selected Markelle Faultz.) Why this was a bad trade: 1 too many players, and 2 draft picks that shouldn't have been traded away. The Nets should have given the Celtics 2 first round picks and not 4 first rounders. KG and Paul Pierce were already in the mid 30's age wise already and Jason Terry wasn't the Jason Terry that played for the Hawks and the Mavericks. Now the Nets have to draft solid role players and eventually put a superstar(out of the draft) around those role players once the trade with Boston is over following the 2018 Draft.

2.) In 2011 the LA Clippers traded away Baron Davis to the Cleveland Cavaliers along with a 2011 first round pick(turned out to be the first overall pick and Kyrie Irving was selected) for Jamario Moon and Mo Williams. Why this is a bad trade:Kyrie Irving who have made a good backcourt mate to Chris Paul but instead you get Mo Williams who was basically transitioning into a bench player at that time and away from a starters role. In addition the Clippers could use Kyrie Irving right now since it looks like Chris Paul is leaving via free agency to the San Antonio Spurs.

3.) The Oklahoma City Thunder trade away James Harden, Cole Aldrich, Daequan Cook, and Lazar Hayward to the Houston Rockets for Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin, and a 2013 first round pick(Steven Adams was later selected) a 2013 second round pick Alex Abrines was later selected, and a 2014 first round pick(Mitch McGary was later selected.) Why this is a bad trade: I think if OKC had to do it again thy may not have done this trade because they wanted to pay Serge Ibaka therefore that made James Harden trade bait. Ibaka is no longer on the Thunder. I didn't think Harden had the potential to be a top player in the league in 2013 but he has proven that not to be the case. He will probably be the MVP this year once the awards are given out for the 2016-2017 season. At least the Thunder got Steven Adams out of the deal and he has proven to be a good player. Another downside is Kevin Martin only stayed with OKC for a season and left to go to the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Being a former bandwagon fan of the Pacers, I find it downright stupid that they traded Paul George to the Thunder for an untested ex-Hoosier player and an overrated Lithuanian. I didn't like the way George said goodbye to the Pacer fans, but he was arguably the best player they had. And they also traded Jeff Teague and got nothing in return. It's easy to blamed Bird or his successor Kevin Pritchard, but the so-called "fair weather fans" should shoulder much of the blame. I sympathise with the Pacers' season-ticket holders.

Written By: tv on 07/10/17 at 6:33 pm

Being a former bandwagon fan of the Pacers, I find it downright stupid that they traded Paul George to the Thunder for an untested ex-Hoosier player and an overrated Lithuanian. I didn't like the way George said goodbye to the Pacer fans, but he was arguably the best player they had. And they also traded Jeff Teague and got nothing in return. It's easy to blamed Bird or his successor Kevin Pritchard, but the so-called "fair weather fans" should shoulder much of the blame. I sympathise with the Pacers' season-ticket holders.
George knew he didn't want to be on the Pacers anymore and he wanted to be on his home-town Lakers team.

Jeff Teague left the Pacers via free agency I think.

Check for new replies or respond here...