inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 4:57 am

The opening ceremony is due to start in the next few minutes.

Over 17 days, more than 3,000 of the world's best athletes will compete in 102 medal events in 15 sports.

In a bid to keep waiting spectators warm, the two MCs on stage have announced some audience participation. Cue K-Pop, formation dancing and flashing lights. Everyone seems to know the moves too! Think Macarena crossed with Gangnam Style.

There is high expectancy in the UK for many medals for Team GB.

...and it is worth mentioning that Pyeongchang in South Korea, is a region not a city.

Subject: Re: 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 5:03 am

The Philippines have two competitors for Pyeongchang.

Asa Miller. Alpine skier, Men's giant slalom and Men's slalom. He resides in Oregon within the United States, is allowed to compete for the Philippines due to his dual citizenship. Miller made a fundraising campaign through GoFundMe for his Olympic stint though the Philippine Olympic Committee has volunteered to finance his expenses.

Michael Martinez, Figure Skater, Men's singles. For the short program, he plans to skate to the tune of “Emerald Tiger” by Vanessa-Mae while he is set to devise the songs “El Tango de Roxanne” from Moulin Rouge! and “Tango de los Exilados” in the free skate program.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 10:36 am

South Korea and North Korea athletes march together under a unified flag at the Winter Olympics 2018 opening ceremony in Pyeongchang.

https://nbcolympictalk.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/998113.jpg?w=610&h=343&crop=1

Written By: nally on 02/09/18 at 10:55 am

^ O0

NBC will air a tape-delayed broadcast tonight in the U.S. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/18 at 11:00 am

^ O0

NBC will air a tape-delayed broadcast tonight in the U.S. :)
The BBC showed it live, there will be edited highlights tonight, but the whole ceremony should be available on iPlayer (a catch up service).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 9:07 am

Ireen Wust became the most successful Dutch Olympian of all time as she won the women's 1500m speed skating title at the Pyeongchang Games. It was her 10th Games medal which also meant she became the most successful Olympic speed skater. Frenchman Martin Fourcade brushed off his biathlon sprint disappointment to become the first man to defend the 12.5km Olympic pursuit title. World number one Mikael Kingsbury held his nerve to win Olympic gold for Canada in the men's moguls. Laura Dahlmeier became a double Olympic champion after winning the women's 10km pursuit. And Canada produced a dominant performance to win gold in the figure skating team event.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 10:05 am

The conditions for the women's slopestyle Olympic final were described as "too dangerous" after strong winds caused havoc in Pyeongchang. Defending champion Jamie Anderson of the United States won gold but all of the riders fell on at least one run. Bronze medallist Enni Rukajarvi said: "It was pretty bad. I'm happy to land my run and get a good score but I'm most happy that no one got hurt bad." Britain's Aimee Fuller came 17th and had a heavy crash on her second run.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/18 at 11:12 pm

American snowboard sensation Chloe Kim produced a brilliant performance to take gold in the women's halfpipe. The 17-year-old won with a score of 98.25 on her final run with China's Jiayu Liu taking silver and United States' Arielle Gold winning bronze.

Written By: nally on 02/13/18 at 12:07 am

American snowboard sensation Chloe Kim produced a brilliant performance to take gold in the women's halfpipe. The 17-year-old won with a score of 98.25 on her final run with China's Jiayu Liu taking silver and United States' Arielle Gold winning bronze.

Congratulations to both of them! O0

I was watching the men's downhill skiing a little while ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/13/18 at 6:19 am

In her quest for gold, Elise Christie ends up on the floor again. History repeats itself in Korea. She doesn't finish the race. One chance gone. She has two more attempts to try and claim an elusive Speed Skating Olympic medal.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/13/18 at 10:01 pm

Shaun White wins another gold in the halfpipe after a near fatal accident a few years back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/18 at 1:56 am

Due to weather conditions, the Biathlon Women's 15km Individual scheduled to take place at 11:05 GMT has been postponed to Thursday, 15 February.

Written By: nally on 02/14/18 at 11:37 am

Shaun White wins another gold in the halfpipe after a near fatal accident a few years back.

I saw that last night. Congratulations to him! O0

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/14/18 at 11:46 am

Congrats to Shaun White and Chloe Kim! 8).

I remember Shaun White from my childhood and the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Those snowboaridng games he had were fun!

Also, Chloe Kim is PHENOMENAL and attractive IMO :D.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/18 at 1:08 pm

The Jamaican women's historic Winter Olympics bobsleigh debut is under threat after their coach quit and threatened to take the team's sled.

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 12:05 am

Congrats to Shaun White and Chloe Kim! 8).

I remember Shaun White from my childhood and the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Those snowboaridng games he had were fun!

Also, Chloe Kim is PHENOMENAL and attractive IMO :D.

Absolutely, on all accounts. O0

The Jamaican women's historic Winter Olympics bobsleigh debut is under threat after their coach quit and threatened to take the team's sled.

:o :o

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 12:06 am

Women's Hockey: Team Canada defeats Team USA 2-1.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/15/18 at 12:39 am

Women's Hockey: Team Canada defeats Team USA 2-1.

Oh no!

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 6:02 pm

Oh no!

yep, I saw that on tv last night.

By the way, I have been to Canada a couple of times.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/15/18 at 6:10 pm

yep, I saw that on tv last night.

By the way, I have been to Canada a couple of times.

Cool. I've never been to Canada but I hope to go someday.

Written By: nally on 02/15/18 at 11:05 pm

I was watching some slalom earlier; Mikaela Shiffrin was doing well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/mikaela-shiffrin-in-fourth-place-after-first-run-of-olympic-slalom/2018/02/15/2353bd5a-12bb-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?utm_term=.6cfd500ae6a2

Written By: meesa on 02/15/18 at 11:56 pm

Watching the livestream of the mens short in FS. Yuzuru did not disappoint and makes things looks so easy. Poor Nathan, I just think he was so nervous- he can skate so much better than he did tonight and my heart just broke for him.. Javier and Adam were the bright spots for me. Some really, really good skating tonight!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/18 at 12:22 am

Dom Parsons claimed Great Britain's first medal of the 2018 Winter Olympics with bronze in the men's skeleton. After a dramatic final run, Parsons finished 0.11 seconds ahead of fourth-placed Martins Dukurs with a time of three minutes 22.20 seconds. Parsons looked to have lost out on a medal until world champion Dukurs made mistakes on his final run. South Korea's Yun Sung-bin won gold by a huge 1.63secs with Nikita Tregubov, an Olympic Athlete from Russia, second.

Written By: Henk on 02/17/18 at 11:23 am

Ireen Wust became the most successful Dutch Olympian of all time as she won the women's 1500m speed skating title at the Pyeongchang Games. It was her 10th Games medal which also meant she became the most successful Olympic speed skater.

She is also the first skater to win at least one gold medal on four consecutive Winter Olympics. 8)

Someone pointed out that she singlehandedly has won double the amount of medals Belgium have won in the entire history of Winter Olympics... :o

Written By: Henk on 02/17/18 at 11:33 am

Dom Parsons claimed Great Britain's first medal of the 2018 Winter Olympics with bronze in the men's skeleton. After a dramatic final run, Parsons finished 0.11 seconds ahead of fourth-placed Martins Dukurs with a time of three minutes 22.20 seconds. Parsons looked to have lost out on a medal until world champion Dukurs made mistakes on his final run. South Korea's Yun Sung-bin won gold by a huge 1.63secs with Nikita Tregubov, an Olympic Athlete from Russia, second.

Congratulations! :)

Meanwhile TeamNL are on 13 medals (6 gold, 5 silver and 2 bronze) - all on speed skating and shorttrack. No suprises there!
In fact, all events in speed skating so far have been won by a Dutchman, Dutchwoman or semi-Dutchman. Ted-Jan Bloemen, who claimed gold for Canada on the men's 10km, has a Dutch mother and has tried competing for The Netherlands in the past.

Written By: Henk on 02/17/18 at 11:44 am

Other semi-Dutchmen present in Pyeongchang include Akwasi Frimpong (men's sketelon, representing Ghana - finished dead last) and Marcel Hirscher (skiing, representing Austria). Like Ted-Jan Bloemen, the latter has a Dutch mother, and he also took gold in the combined event.

Written By: nally on 02/17/18 at 2:10 pm

Watching the livestream of the mens short in FS. Yuzuru did not disappoint and makes things looks so easy. Poor Nathan, I just think he was so nervous- he can skate so much better than he did tonight and my heart just broke for him.. Javier and Adam were the bright spots for me. Some really, really good skating tonight!

I watched some of that too. O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/18 at 12:13 pm

Britain's Elise Christie is in a race to be fit for her final 2018 Winter Olympic medal chance in Tuesday's 1000m short-track skating event, after suffering soft tissue damage from her fall in Saturday's 1500m semi-final. Christie left the ice in tears and was taken to hospital after colliding with China's Li Jinyu as she tried to finish in the top two. The 27-year-old has been wearing a protective boot and has tweeted a video of her on a bike with the caption "48 hours to try get this sorted". Team GB's chef de mission Mike Hay said: "It's a fight against time ."

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/18 at 1:15 pm

Britain's Lizzy Yarnold is to consider her future after retaining her Olympic skeleton title at Pyeongchang 2018. The 29-year-old became the first Briton - and the first skeleton athlete - to win successive Winter Games golds when she claimed victory on Saturday on a historic day for Team GB. Asked about her future on Sunday, Yarnold said: "I need to get over my chest infection first. "I'll take a break and get back to you."

Written By: nally on 02/18/18 at 4:49 pm

Britain's Lizzy Yarnold is to consider her future after retaining her Olympic skeleton title at Pyeongchang 2018. The 29-year-old became the first Briton - and the first skeleton athlete - to win successive Winter Games golds when she claimed victory on Saturday on a historic day for Team GB. Asked about her future on Sunday, Yarnold said: "I need to get over my chest infection first. I'll take a break and get back to you."

Congratulations to Lizzy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/18 at 7:14 am

An anti-doping case has been opened against Russian medal-winning curler Alexander Krushelnitsky, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas). Krushelnitsky, who won bronze with his wife in the mixed doubles at the Winter Olympics on Tuesday, is suspected of testing positive for meldonium. Cas opened a case against the 25-year-old following a request from the International Olympic Committee (IOC). A hearing date has not been set and a B sample result is expected on Monday. More than 160 competitors are in the OAR team as their country was banned from the Games over "systemic" doping at Sochi 2014, which they hosted. Russian athletes who could prove they are clean could compete under the OAR banner, with the team comprising 168 competitors - the third biggest behind Canada and the United States. "It's a huge embarrassment for the IOC, given it let OAR compete," said BBC commentator Steve Cram.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/19/18 at 11:12 am

An anti-doping case has been opened against Russian medal-winning curler Alexander Krushelnitsky, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas). Krushelnitsky, who won bronze with his wife in the mixed doubles at the Winter Olympics on Tuesday, is suspected of testing positive for meldonium. Cas opened a case against the 25-year-old following a request from the International Olympic Committee (IOC). A hearing date has not been set and a B sample result is expected on Monday. More than 160 competitors are in the OAR team as their country was banned from the Games over "systemic" doping at Sochi 2014, which they hosted. Russian athletes who could prove they are clean could compete under the OAR banner, with the team comprising 168 competitors - the third biggest behind Canada and the United States. "It's a huge embarrassment for the IOC, given it let OAR compete," said BBC commentator Steve Cram.

Yeah, that's embarrassing. SMH >:(.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 5:08 am

Great Britain's women reached Friday's curling semi-finals with a 6-5 win over Canada, but the men face a tie-breaker match after defeat by the USA.

Written By: nally on 02/21/18 at 11:32 am

Yeah, that's embarrassing. SMH >:(.

Indeed it is. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/18 at 2:09 pm

The United States won gold in the women's team sprint free as Marit Bjorgen became the most decorated Winter Olympian of all time. It was the first time the US have won a cross-country skiing medal in a women's event. Bjorgen, who took bronze with Norway, picked up her fourth medal at these Games and now has 14 overall. The 37-year-old has won a medal in every event she has contested in Pyeongchang. Swedish pair Charlotte Kalla and Stina Nilsson took silver.

Written By: nally on 02/22/18 at 6:07 pm

In Women's Hockey, Team USA defeats Team Canada 3-2 in a shootout. This gives Team USA its first Olympic gold medal in women's hockey since 1998.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 6:09 pm

In Women's Hockey, Team USA defeats Team Canada 3-2 in a shootout. This gives Team USA its first Olympic gold medal in women's hockey since 1998.

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO THEM!!!!!!!

USA! USA! USA! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: nally on 02/22/18 at 9:47 pm

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO THEM!!!!!!!

USA! USA! USA! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I actually didn't stay up late enough to watch the end of it, but I heard about their victory after I woke up this morning.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/22/18 at 11:08 pm

I actually didn't stay up late enough to watch the end of it, but I heard about their victory after I woke up this morning.

Same here.

Written By: nally on 02/23/18 at 6:20 pm

Same here.

O0

I watched some of the 4-man bobsled (aka bobsleigh) competition last night; Germany did well in that.

Written By: nally on 02/25/18 at 5:11 pm

Sweden edged out South Korea for the Gold Medal in Curling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/25/sports/olympics/womens-curling-south-korea-garlic-girls.html

Written By: meesa on 02/26/18 at 11:13 am

There was a lot of talking on social media about the one Canadian that removed her silver medal immediately after they placed it; she was frustrated in the heat of the moment, but apologized later for it. I felt sorry for her; everything anyone does now is picked up immediately and scrutinized so much for what are really natural reactions in an emotional moment. Yes it probably appeared ungracious but man, give her a minute, ok? I wish they would have allowed the teams a break before the medal ceremony so that the celebrating by the USA wouldn't have been so in-your-face for the Canadians. Both teams are excellent and worked so hard, I am sure that if they had all been given a bit of time to gain perspective and compose themselves, it wouldn't have happened.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/18 at 10:07 am

Russia's Olympic ban has been lifted, providing if there are no more doping violations from their athletes at Pyeongchang 2018, the International Olympic Committee has ruled.

Check for new replies or respond here...