inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Out of the 4 major sports, which team has the most bandwagon fans? Most loyal?

Written By: Star Struck on 07/27/18 at 7:02 am

Just a little thread about sports I rarely come to the sports section, so I thought I'd make a thread. Let's start! Out of the 4 major sports, which teams do you think has the most bandwagon fans? Which team do you think has the most loyal fans?

For NHL:
Bandwagon: Pittsburgh Penguins, Anaheim Ducks, or Carolina Hurricanes
Loyal: Toronto Maple Leads or Philadelphia Flyers, Winnipeg Jets, Nashville Predators, or Minnesota Wild

For NFL:
Bandwagon: Seattle Seahawks
Loyal: Green Bay Packers (as much as it pains to say it)

For NBA:
Bandwagon: Golden State Warriors, Cleveland Cavilers, or Miami Heat
Loyal: New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, or Utah Jazz

For MLB:
Bandwagon: Pittsburgh Pirates
Loyal: San Fransisco Giants

Baseball is kind of hard to predict which team has loyal or bandwagon fans, but what do you guys think about the other major sports? Let the debate begin (but keep it polite and civil)!

Subject: Re: Out of the 4 major sports, which team has the most bandwagon fans? Most loyal?

Written By: nally on 07/27/18 at 10:58 am

For MLB:
Bandwagon: Pittsburgh Pirates
Loyal: San Fransisco Giants

Baseball is kind of hard to predict which team has loyal or bandwagon fans, but what do you guys think about the other major sports? Let the debate begin (but keep it polite and civil)!

It's hard for me to differentiate between "bandwagon" and "loyal", although the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers likely have plenty of such fans.

Subject: Re: Out of the 4 major sports, which team has the most bandwagon fans? Most loyal?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/27/18 at 10:30 pm

Just a little thread about sports I rarely come to the sports section, so I thought I'd make a thread. Let's start! Out of the 4 major sports, which teams do you think has the most bandwagon fans? Which team do you think has the most loyal fans?

For NFL:
Bandwagon: Seattle Seahawks
Loyal: Green Bay Packers (as much as it pains to say it)

For NBA:
Bandwagon: Golden State Warriors, Cleveland Cavilers, or Miami Heat
Loyal: New York Knicks, Sacramento Kings, Phoenix Suns, or Utah Jazz

You got it almost right for the NBA, but completely wrong for the NFL. Coming from the south where football is like a religion, you have so many Patriots bandwagons down here who were never from Boston, because the Patriots have been the greatest sports dynasty of this era the past 15+ seasons with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick, and then of course you have the Cowboys because they are America's team (and the Cowboys bandwagons were probably the worst throughout the 90's when they were at their peak) and the Steelers because they have the most Super Bowl rings with history going far back decades. I would argue the 49ers bandwagons used to be big when they were in their prime with Joe Montana too. The Seahawks only have one Super Bowl, and they didn't get it until the 2013 season, before then they suffered and the real Seahawks fans stayed loyal all the way through, then in 2014 the Seahawks blew it in the Super Bowl against (guess who) because they didn't give the ball to Marshawn Lynch at the 1 yard line, and they haven't been the same ever since and now look at the Seahawks roster now and who left. There are Green Bay Packers fans from all over and not just from Wisconsin, so I believe they are neutral. The most loyal NFL fans are the ones who barely have as many Super Bowls as the bigger franchises or none, the ones who aren't as praised and recognized by the media as the more historical teams, or the ones who stick to their home team straight from where they were born. Raiders fans are loyal. Saints fans are loyal (even tho I hate them). Falcons fans are loyal (where I'm from Atlanta BTW). Eagles fans are extremely loyal after all the pain they went through in the NFC East before finally winning their first Super Bowl earlier this year. Real Browns fans born & raised in Ohio who stick to their team no matter how bad they've been are extremely loyal and true to their team.

As for the NBA. As we all know the Golden State Warriors bandwagons arisen once the team broke their 40 year drought in 2015, but when they surpassed the 1996-97 Chicago Bulls with the most wins ever with 73 wins and only 9 losses, then that's when the bandwagons really started popping up, and when Kevin Durant JOINED them, it was over. The Warriors bandwagons became the most obnoxious ever. I do agree with Miami Heat and Cleveland Cavalier bandwagons but only because they were LeBron fans, not because they were a fan of the team. The Chicago Bulls of the 90's DEFINITELY had bandwagons because of Michael Jordan and his run of 6 championships. That's a no brainer. Even today you still see people wearing 23 Bulls jerseys. Michael Jordan wasn't just the greatest NBA player of all time but he was a cultural icon. The Celtics and Lakers probably have the most NBA bandwagons from a historical standpoint because of them being the biggest market franchises of the NBA with the most history. When Shaq and Kobe were in their prime in the early 2000's, oh man it was all about the Lakers I tell you, and they were already big with Magic prior to that time period. Now they have LeBron James because, it's what the Lakers wanted with the type of big market franchise they are. Other low market franchises of the NBA don't have a chance which is why the sport is rigged like we discussed before. I agree with your loyal fanbase picks for the NBA though, and I would include the Orlando Magic, Memphis Grizzles, and Atlanta Hawks in there too.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/21/19 at 10:55 am

MLB: Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers
NFL: Steelers or Cowboys
NBA: Celtics
NHL: Sorry, don't follow that organization.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/21/19 at 3:11 am

It's hard for me to differentiate between "bandwagon" and "loyal", although the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers likely have plenty of such fans.

Great point. I’m from Pittsburgh and love the Steelers. They have a loyal fan base though. I’m still figuring this out with the Premier League.

Historically- MLB- Yankees, NFL- Cowboys, NBA- Lakers, NHL- ? That’s tough hockey fans aren’t really bandwagon

Check for new replies or respond here...