inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2019 Major League Baseball season

Written By: nally on 03/27/19 at 2:56 pm

The regular season starts tomorrow already!!

If the Dodgers get to the postseason again, hopefully they'll win the World Series this time (after back-to-back failed attempts).

Subject: Re: 2019 Major League Baseball season

Written By: loki 13 on 03/27/19 at 5:07 pm

Around these parts we have hopes that the Phillies will at least make the post season.
They have upgraded their position play but I think their pitching is still suspect.

Written By: nally on 03/27/19 at 7:32 pm

Around these parts we have hopes that the Phillies will at least make the post season.
They have upgraded their position play but I think their pitching is still suspect.

Yeah, they added stars like Andrew McCutcheon and Bryce Harper during the offseason.

Written By: nally on 03/28/19 at 10:36 pm

Dodgers make this Opening Day one to remember... by hitting 8 home runs, en route to a 12-5 rout of the Arizona Dbacks (chasing their former teammate, Zack Greinke, in the process).

Written By: nally on 03/30/19 at 10:59 am

Dodgers blew a big chance last night. :(

Written By: nally on 04/01/19 at 12:56 am

Glad to see the Dodgers come from behind today (after a shaky fourth inning) and take 3 of 4 from the Dbacks to open the season. (They won 18-5 last nite, with seven of those runs coming off a non-pitcher called upon to pitch for Arizona.)

Written By: nally on 04/03/19 at 6:59 pm

Dodgers barely won last night. On Monday night they were in line to win, until the 7th inning when the bullpen effed it up. Now their record is 4 wins and 2 losses.

Written By: nally on 04/06/19 at 12:08 am

Dodgers 6 and 2 after 8 games. Cody Bellinger leads the NL in home runs with 6 through the first 8 games. (This puts him on pace for over 100 home runs this year, but I'm sure his pace will taper off to a more reasonable number as the season progresses.)

Written By: nally on 04/08/19 at 10:37 am

Dodgers 8 and 2 through their first 10 games! They completed a three-game sweep of the Rockies in Denver over the weekend.

Written By: nally on 04/10/19 at 12:02 am

DUDgers laid their first goose-egg of 2019 tonight in St Louis. ::) They blew at least two bases-loaded opportunities! >:(

Written By: nally on 04/12/19 at 11:47 pm

DUDgers laid their first goose-egg of 2019 tonight in St Louis. ::) They blew at least two bases-loaded opportunities! >:(

They couldn't win one lousy game in St. Louis; got swept in 4. :(

They started off so well, but now they're on a tailspin, it seems. >:(

Written By: nally on 04/14/19 at 7:55 pm

Dodgers finally won a game today!! They put a halt to their 6-game losing streak and averted a sweep by the Milwaukee Brewers. Ross Stripling pitched 8 efficient innings, not allowing a run until the 8th inning, and his team gave him 7 runs of support.

They still trail the Padres -- who have the National League's best record right now (who'da thunk it) -- in the NL West division.

Written By: nally on 04/16/19 at 8:53 am

Yesterday, as most teams celebrated Jackie Robinson Day (10 teams were idle; not playing), the Dodgers welcomed in the Cincinnati Reds as Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp were making their returns to Dodger Stadium (as visiting players; they were traded to the Reds in December). Puig hit a two-run home run off his former teammate Clayton Kershaw (who made his first start of the year after being sidelined for the first two weeks of the season), but the Dodgers answered back and eventually tied the game at 2. But in the 9th, with two out, Kemp singled in a run off Kenly Jansen to retake the lead at 3-2. However, in the bottom of the 9th, the Dodgers won it on a 2-run walkoff home run by Joc Pederson.

Written By: nally on 04/17/19 at 6:58 pm

Dodgers get "sweep revenge" on the Reds.

Written By: nally on 04/20/19 at 11:21 am

Dodgers have won 6 in a row. Previously, they lost 6 in a row. Glad to see them doing well. (They had to come from behind to win last nite.)

Written By: nally on 04/21/19 at 4:44 pm

So, the Dodgers complete the season series with the Brewers by taking 3 of 4 in Milwaukee. Kershaw pitched well, but was denied a win because the bullpen allowed the tying run to score in the 8th inning; however, Dodgers retook the lead on a Bellinger home run in the 9th.

Written By: nally on 04/26/19 at 11:42 am

So, yesterday (Thursday)...

Dodgers averted a sweep in Chicago against the Cubs, and the Angels averted a four-game sweep at the hands of the Yankees in Angel Stadium.

Now the Yankees will go to San Francisco for the first time in 12 years to face the Giants by the bay. (In 2013 and 2016, the Giants played the Yankees at Yankee Stadium only.)

Written By: nally on 04/26/19 at 6:16 pm

Vladimir Guerrero Junior makes his debut at the Major League level tonight, as the Toronto Bluejays host the Oakland Athletics. (In fact, the game should be underway right now!)

Written By: nally on 04/26/19 at 11:51 pm

Vladimir Guerrero Junior makes his debut at the Major League level tonight, as the Toronto Bluejays host the Oakland Athletics. (In fact, the game should be underway right now!)

and Vlad Jr gets a double in his MLB debut. However, one player on his team -- Brandon Drury -- hit a walkoff two-run homer to give the Jays a 4-2 victory... and Vlad Junior took the honor of dousing Mr. Drury with Gatorade!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 9:30 am

I just received a Stop Press message on my phone of Gary Sanchez blasts towering grand slam in San Francisco to power Yankees over Giants.

Normally, I get cricket... ?

Written By: nally on 04/28/19 at 3:02 pm

I just received a Stop Press message on my phone of Gary Sanchez blasts towering grand slam in San Francisco to power Yankees over Giants.

That's right, he did!

It was his first career grand slam, apparently.

And today the Yankees go for a sweep of the Giants.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/19 at 6:23 pm

That's right, he did!

It was his first career grand slam, apparently.

And today the Yankees go for a sweep of the Giants.
Is there good video of this achievement?

Written By: nally on 04/29/19 at 12:33 am

Is there good video of this achievement?

There might be on the MLB website.

The Yankees completed the sweep of the Giants, by the way. (As a Dodger fan I say that's all right with me.)

Dodgers also did their part by completing a sweep of the Pirates. They actually fell behind early, but came back to pull ahead and win.

Written By: nally on 05/01/19 at 10:06 am

Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia achieved his 3,000th career strikeout yesterday, making him the 17th pitcher to reach that milestone...and the 3rd among left-handers. However, his team ended up losing to the Arizona Diamonbacks, 3-1, in Chase Field.

Written By: nally on 05/06/19 at 12:05 am

Well...today's Dodgers-Padres game ended as a downer for Dodgers fans. LAD was leading 5-4 with 2 out in the 9th, but the Padres had the bases loaded against Kenly Jansen...who served up a GRAND SLAM to Hunter Renfroe to give the Padres the win and avert a sweep by the Dodgers. >:(

Written By: nally on 05/08/19 at 1:02 pm

Two notable things occurred in MLB yesterday.

First of all, the Los Angeles Dodgers shut out an opponent for the first time this year. More importantly, it was the first complete-game shutout by a Dodgers pitcher in more than two years. Hyun-Jin Ryu threw 93 pitches to keep the Atlanta Braves off the board. He actually had a perfect game going through the first 5 innings, but in the 6th inning, the first batter led off with a hit to break up the no-no, but was promptly erased on a double play. In fact, Ryu settled for a four-hit shutout. The Dodgers scored 9 runs of their own, 6 of which were knocked in by Justin Turner, who hit 3 home runs of his own.

Secondly, in a game that started later than initially planned (due to rain/power delay), Mike Fiers of the Oakland Athletics threw his second career no-hitter, this time against the Cincinnati Reds. (Coincidentally, his other no-no, which came in 2015, was also in an interleague game: he was a member of the Houston Astros, and he no-hit the visiting Dodgers.)

Written By: nally on 05/09/19 at 6:37 pm

Dodgers swept the Braves! Clayton Kershaw remains undefeated against said team. (It looked like he was going to be denied the win when he was pulled from the game with the tying runs on base, but the runner who would have tied up the game was left on base. And the Dodgers preserved their lead.)

Written By: nally on 05/10/19 at 11:02 am

And last night L.A.D. laid their first goose-egg at home this year. :( It was against a Washington Nationals team that had been struggling lately.

Written By: nally on 05/11/19 at 2:10 pm

Dodgers returned the favor against the Nationals last night, shutting them out 5-0.

One notable play occurred in the 8th inning, when the Nat'ls loaded the bases in the top of the inning with two out. Max Muncy made a great defensive play by touching the third base bag with the ball in his glove to force a runner out, keeping the shutout intact.

Written By: nally on 05/12/19 at 9:45 pm

My team lost last night (in fact, they lost their lead in the 8th inning when a member of the other team hit a grand slam to take the lead for good), but today they won! (IOW, Dodgers and Nationals split the 4-game series.) The Arizona Diamondbacks, who currently trail the Dodgers for the NL West division lead, lost their game today to the Atlanta Braves, thereby increasing L.A.'s lead.

Written By: nally on 05/16/19 at 1:04 am

Dodgers finish a homestand by winning 7 of 9 games. (The only two losses were to the Washington Nationals, last Thursday and Saturday.) Now they go on a roadtrip which will take them to three teams in the Eastern time zone: the Reds, the Rays, and the Pirates, in that order. (Their next home game will be on Memorial Day against the Mets.)

Written By: nally on 05/18/19 at 3:17 pm

Yesterday, the Dodgers shut out an opponent on the road for the first time this year... namely the Cincinnati Reds. Final score 6-0. Starting pitcher Rich Hill retired the first ten batters he faced, then allowed only two hits and left the game after throwing 84 pitches over 6 innings. So he finally won a game. Dodgers gave him run support with several home runs.

Written By: nally on 05/23/19 at 11:53 pm

Dodgers continuing to do well overall... although in yesterday's game in TB, the floodgates opened in the 7th inning..

Written By: mqg96 on 05/24/19 at 2:36 am

So how are my Braves doing so far this year? Well, it's been a kinda weird ass start for the NL East. We're very fortunate to be in 2nd place that's all I have to say. I'm still pissed that we did hardly anything in the off season to improve our bullpen while the Phillies are thriving.

Written By: nally on 05/24/19 at 9:47 am

So how are my Braves doing so far this year? Well, it's been a kinda weird ass start for the NL East. We're very fortunate to be in 2nd place that's all I have to say. I'm still pissed that we did hardly anything in the off season to improve our bullpen while the Phillies are thriving.

Well, you guys took three of four from the Giants in San Fran; I'd say that's a fine achievement.

(I also notice that in last year's season series between those two teams, the visiting team won every game.)

Written By: nally on 05/26/19 at 8:19 pm

Today, the Dodgers completed a season series sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates. (They also did so 15 years ago.)

Written By: nally on 05/30/19 at 11:56 am

What a comeback for the Dodgers in last night's game! They were down 8-3 at one point, and down 8-5 entering the 9th inning... and had to deal with closer Edwin Diaz (whom the Mets acquired from the Mariners during the offseason). The first two batters (Joc Pederson and Max Muncy) hit solo homers to put L.A. within one run... and then the next two batters (Justin Turner and Cody Belinger) hit back-to-back doubles to score the tying run... and then the next two batters reached, loading the bases... so there's still nobody out. Then the next batter, Alex Verdugo, hit a sacrifice fly to score the winning run.

Written By: nally on 06/02/19 at 8:15 pm

Dodgers sweep Phillies to complete a 6 and 1 homestand.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/07/19 at 10:16 pm

Dodgers are looking tough.

Written By: nally on 06/08/19 at 12:23 pm

Dodgers are looking tough.

Too bad Curtain Clayshaw ended up being the tough-luck loser last nite in San Fran. :-\\

By the way, two notable free-agent pitchers finally got signed this week: reliever Craig Kimbrel agreed to a deal with the Chicago Cubs, and starter Dallas Keuchel agreed to a one-year deal with the Atlanta Braves.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/08/19 at 11:38 pm

The Brewers took care of the Bucs again 10-4.

Written By: nally on 06/09/19 at 1:57 pm

The Brewers took care of the Bucs again 10-4.

Are you a fan of either of those teams?

Written By: nally on 06/09/19 at 9:56 pm

Anyways, glad to see the Dodgers beat the Giants two in a row in San Fran. (They won today's game 1-0 on a first-inning home run from Max Muncy, who managed to hit it all the way into McCovey Cove!) Now it's on to Angel Stadium for the first half of this year's "Freeway Series."

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/09/19 at 11:07 pm

Yeah, I’m a Pirates fan, I grew up in Pittsburgh. Tough team to follow, I try to catch as many games as I can. Yeah that HR today was a bomb. Josh Bell is off to a terrific start for the Bucs.

Written By: nally on 06/10/19 at 10:32 am

Yeah, I’m a Pirates fan, I grew up in Pittsburgh. Tough team to follow, I try to catch as many games as I can. Yeah that HR today was a bomb. Josh Bell is off to a terrific start for the Bucs.

Yeah, they haven't been playing too well overall as a team for most of the last 20+ years... with an exception from 2013-2015, when they reached the postseason as a wildcard team in each of those three years.

Written By: nally on 06/12/19 at 5:39 pm

Today some teams have an idle Wednesday for the first time in years (not counting the Wednesday after the All-Star Game, on which ALL teams are idle).

Written By: nally on 06/17/19 at 9:53 am

Dodgers could have swept the four-game series from the Cubs, but the bullpen effed it up on Saturday. Still, winning 3 of 4 is not bad at all.

Written By: nally on 06/20/19 at 11:08 pm

Dodgers became first team to reach 50 wins in MLB this year, by winning last night.

Oh, by the way... I'll be going to the game tomorrow night, when they welcome in the Rockies for the first time this year.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/21/19 at 2:58 am

Have fun, love Dodger Stadium! Great sport venue.

Written By: nally on 06/21/19 at 12:22 pm

Indeed it is! In fact, it's the only MLB stadium at which I've witnessed a game.

I have been to Oracle Park (home of the Giants) and Petco Park (home of the Padres), and I've gotten close to Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs; in fact, I was in that area 25 years ago today!) and Angel Stadium.

Written By: nally on 06/22/19 at 12:14 pm

What a great game last night!

Dodgers scored a run early, in the second inning. Then in the fourth inning, the Rockies tied it up with a Nolan Arenado home run. The Dodgers got their run back in the bottom of the 4th when Cody Bellinger hit it out. Sixth inning, Charlie Blackmon tied it up again by hitting a solo shot. The score remained tied at 2-2 until the bottom of the 9th, when Matt Beaty hit a two-run walk-off home run with two out! Pitching-wise, L.A. starter Walker Buehler struck out 16 batters over 9 innings, never coming out for a reliever (but if it had gone into extra innings, a relief pitcher would have likely taken over). The Rockies' starter, Germán Márquez, even pitched well, allowing two runs over 8 innings; his successor came on in the 9th inning to allow the winning runs.

It was the first time since 1996 when I went to a game that the Dodgers eventually won.

Written By: nally on 06/22/19 at 11:16 pm

Dodgers walked it off with a home run again today, this time in the 10th inning... after starter Hyun-jin Ryu was not his usual self.

Written By: nally on 06/23/19 at 10:26 pm

...make that three in a row!

This is the first time in MLB history that all three games of a three-game series have been won via a walk-off home run...by three different rookie players. This time, it was Will D. Smith (a rookie catcher who was called up less than 24 hours before game time) who did the honors. Final score was 6-3 in 9 innings.

Written By: nally on 06/23/19 at 10:45 pm

Also, this weekend was Albert Pujols' first time playing in Busch Stadium (St. Louis) as a visiting player. He got a standing ovation in his first plate appearance in Friday's game, which the Angels ultimately lost. They also lost yesterday's game... but in tonight's Sunday ESPN game, the Angels averted a sweep by defeating the Cardinals 6-4.

Written By: nally on 06/26/19 at 11:52 pm

Dodgers called up a minor league pitcher, Tony Gonsolin, to make his first start at the major league level...and it did not go well.

Written By: nally on 06/29/19 at 10:58 am

Rockies finally beat the Dodgers yesterday, after losing 12 straight to them dating back to last year (including Game 163 on October 1). This was due in part to Hyun-jin Ryu not doing so well in Denver (and for his fourth straight start, he was denied his tenth win).

Written By: nally on 06/29/19 at 8:24 pm

London Series 2019:

Saturday's game: Yankees 17 at Red Sox 13. Both teams scored many runs early, and neither starter (Tanaka for NYY, Porcello for BOS) could complete the first inning.

Written By: nally on 06/30/19 at 7:00 pm

And so the Yankees sweep the London Series. Red Sox were apparently the "home" team for both games, even though both teams wore their "home" uniforms (Yankees in the pinstripe jerseys; Red Sox in the white jerseys with "Red Sox" across the front). This means there will only be 79 regular-season games in Fenway Park this year.

Written By: nally on 07/01/19 at 10:31 pm

L.A. Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs passed away earlier today; cause of death unknown...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27099081/angels-pitcher-tyler-skaggs-27-dies-texas

:\'( :\'(

Because of this, the Angels are postponing their scheduled game with the Rangers to another day (TBD).

Mr. Skaggs would have turned 28 at the end of next week, by the way. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 5:43 am

London Series 2019:

Saturday's game: Yankees 17 at Red Sox 13. Both teams scored many runs early, and neither starter (Tanaka for NYY, Porcello for BOS) could complete the first inning.
I saw about five minutes of the game when it was around 6-0, and I do not think I will be able to watch it full on Catch-Up TV.

Written By: nally on 07/02/19 at 9:06 am

I saw about five minutes of the game when it was around 6-0, and I do not think I will be able to watch it full on Catch-Up TV.

It was a wild game, according to what I saw on FOX (the network that was nationally broadcasting it in the U.S.).

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 9:13 am

It was a wild game, according to what I saw on FOX (the network that was nationally broadcasting it in the U.S.).
It was the FOX coverage the BBC was broadcasting, and had two/three minute inserts when the commercials were on, and cut in late after a ball had been pitched.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/19 at 9:15 am

I only glimpse it on Sunday, but I believe that John McEnroe was in the commentary box.

Written By: nally on 07/03/19 at 2:28 am

It was the FOX coverage the BBC was broadcasting, and had two/three minute inserts when the commercials were on, and cut in late after a ball had been pitched.

I only glimpse it on Sunday, but I believe that John McEnroe was in the commentary box.

Yeah, I had been wondering if you'd had a chance to see any part of it, given that it was somewhat local to you.

The Sunday game had started in the early morning hours my time, so I didn't get to really see it. (But I heard about it later on.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/19 at 2:30 am

Yeah, I had been wondering if you'd had a chance to see any part of it, given that it was somewhat local to you.

The Sunday game had started in the early morning hours my time, so I didn't get to really see it. (But I heard about it later on.)
In my younger years, I would have applied for tickets to watch it live.

Written By: nally on 07/03/19 at 11:06 am

Anyways, the Dodgers won their game last night on five consecutive walks!

They entered the bottom of the 9th inning, down 4-3 to the Arizona Dbacks, got two quick outs... but then each of the next five batters walked. Three to load the bases; so when the fourth one walked, that scored the tying run. Then up came Cody Bellinger, who patiently took most of the pitches thrown to him...and on a 3-2 count, the pitch thrown was one that he couldn't even swing at...and that was ball four to score the winning run. The 5-4 victory gives the Dodgers their MLB-leading 58th win. They could still win 60 games before the All Star Break.

Written By: nally on 07/03/19 at 4:09 pm

L.A. Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs passed away earlier today; cause of death unknown...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27099081/angels-pitcher-tyler-skaggs-27-dies-texas

:\'( :\'(

Because of this, the Angels are postponing their scheduled game with the Rangers to another day (TBD).

Mr. Skaggs would have turned 28 at the end of next week, by the way. :\'(

Still no word on what may have caused Mr. Skaggs to suddenly die, but yesterday all teams observed a moment of silence in his honor prior to playing their respective games. (Especially the Angels and Rangers.)

Written By: nally on 07/04/19 at 10:32 am

Dodgers win their fifth consecutive home game by means of walkoff! This time it was a tenth-inning home run by Cody Bellinger. That was his second home run of the game, and 29th of the season, giving him the most pre-All Star Break home runs in Dodgers franchise history.

Written By: nally on 07/05/19 at 12:04 am

L.A. gets it done yet again, but this time they didn't need to walk it off. Hyun-jin Ryu finally gets his 10th win of the season; it's also the 60th win for the Dodgers this year. Also in the game, Cody Bellinger hit his 30th home run of the year.

Written By: nally on 07/06/19 at 11:26 am

Dodgers' home winning streak came to an end last night... amidst an earthquake. (Glad I wasn't at the stadium this time!) :-\\ Oh well, they still have the best record in the majors at 60 and 30 right now.

Written By: nally on 07/08/19 at 12:01 am

So, the DUD-gers go into the All-Star Break having lost three straight on their home turf. :(

I tell ya, come Friday (when the season resumes), they'll have their hands full in Boston, against the team that downed them in last year's World Series. (I sure hope they can win there.)

Written By: nally on 07/08/19 at 10:37 pm

Congratulations to Pete Alonso of the New York Mets for winning this year's Home Run Derby! He edged out Vladimir Guerrero Jr. of the Toronto Blue Jays in the final round. Vlad Jr. actually set a record for most homerun balls in a single Derby!

These two could very well win the Rookie Of The Year awards in their respective Leagues.

Written By: nally on 07/10/19 at 9:47 am

American League wins the All Star Game yet again...this time by a score of 4-3.

NL actually had a chance to tie it or go ahead in the 8th, but blew it. :(

Written By: nally on 07/13/19 at 12:16 pm

Last night's Angels game was memorable in more ways than one. All team personnel wore "Skaggs" jerseys with the number 45 to honor their late teammate, who passed away last week (and would have turned 28 today). Moreover, this was their first home game since Skaggs' sudden passing. The pitchers threw a combined no-hitter as the Angels won 13-nothing.

Written By: nally on 07/14/19 at 3:07 pm

After playing not so well on Friday, the Dodgers managed to win a game in Boston yesterday! They capitalized on Chris Sale's struggles, chasing him in the 5th inning, and scoring 11 total runs (to only 2 for the Redsox). O0 All other teams in the NL West lost their respective games.

Written By: nally on 07/15/19 at 8:51 am

Dodgers actually won a series in Boston. It took them 12 innings, but they prevailed.

The thing is, starter Hyun-jin Ryu pitched well, outlasting Boston starter David Price, but the Dodgers bullpen effed up his effort, with the first reliever (Pedro Baez) allowing solo home runs to the first two batters he faced, tying up the score and denying Ryu a win. Still, L.A. wins it in the 12th, 7 to 4, with Joe Kelly picking up a save against his former team.

Written By: nally on 07/15/19 at 10:48 pm

And the Dodgers opened their series in Philadelphia tonight by burying the Phillies in a 16-2 landslide. This gives Kershaw a victory despite a struggling start. (He just hasn't been too great this year, but at least his team gave him some run support tonight.)

Written By: nally on 07/20/19 at 6:38 pm

Dodgers still have the largest division lead of any of the six divisions (and the only one in double figures). Not only that, they still have the best record in all of MLB, at 65 wins and 35 losses, heading into play today.

Written By: nally on 07/24/19 at 11:48 pm

Things don't look too promising for the Dodgers in the 2019 edition of the Freeway Series. :-[

Written By: nally on 07/28/19 at 11:00 pm

Yankees averted a 4-game sweep in Boston this evening.
Nationals averted a 3-game sweep in Washington against the Dodgers today.

Written By: nally on 07/31/19 at 8:53 am

Trevor Bauer to the Cincinnati Reds...who'da thunk it?

Yasiel Puig, in return, goes to the Cleveland Indians.

San Diego Padres are also involved in this big trade.

Written By: nally on 08/01/19 at 4:32 pm

Speaking of trades that occurred yesterday... Zack Greinke to the Houston Astros. The news of this trade came during a game in which he was pitching for the Arizona Dbacks against the New York Yankees. He left the game after 5 innings pitched, received a no-decision as the Yankees won later on.

Written By: nally on 08/04/19 at 9:11 pm

Dodgers won last night on another complete game by Walker Buehler. Then today they overcame two deficits to win the series from the Padres.

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 1:06 pm

Today the Dodgers will go for "sweep revenge" against the St. Louis Cardinals. Today's game, which starts in one hour, is watchable exclusively on YoutubeTV. (No actual TV channel will be carrying the game.)

Written By: nally on 08/07/19 at 11:14 pm

Today the Dodgers will go for "sweep revenge" against the St. Louis Cardinals. Today's game, which starts in one hour, is watchable exclusively on YoutubeTV. (No actual TV channel will be carrying the game.)

And they achieved it... in the 9th inning down to their last strike!

That concludes the Dodgers' regular-season schedule against NL Central teams this year.

Written By: nally on 08/12/19 at 12:46 pm

Dodgers now lead NL West by 19 games! (over the second-place Giants)

Written By: nally on 08/15/19 at 6:20 pm

Dodgers won in Miami against the Marlins very convincingly on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, but today it looks like the Marlins are going to avert a season series sweep; they struck back in a big way.

Written By: nally on 08/21/19 at 10:42 am

So...last night, in the Blue Jays' first game at Dodger Stadium since 2007, they scored early off Clayton Kershaw, but the Dodgers took the lead in the 3rd inning and buried the Jays in a landslide, 16-3, giving Kershaw his 166th career win, making him the all-time winningest left-handed pitcher in Dodgers history. (Sandy Koufax finished his career with 165 wins, so Kershaw overtook him.)

Written By: nally on 08/22/19 at 6:43 pm

Again, Kenly Jansen issued a game-tying home run in the 9th inning last night, but the Dodgers won it in the 10th on a Max Muncy solo homer. Today they go for the sweep of the Blue Jays before welcoming in the Yankees for a three-game weekend series.

Written By: nally on 08/23/19 at 12:20 pm

Dodgers sweep the Bluejays!

They were down 2-nothing, entering the bottom of the 9th, but after two of the first three batters reached, Corey Seager doubled both of them in, tying the game at 2-2; then the next batter, Kike Hernandez, doubled him in to walk it off!!

Now they welcome in the Yankees for a weekend series. NYY just got swept by the Athletics in Oakland; hopefully the Dodgers can do a number on them too.

Written By: nally on 08/24/19 at 10:31 am

Last nite's NYY-LAD game was NOT fun to watch. I can't believe they were getting so many hits off Ryu (who had been pitching so well this year, even at home). This might hurt his chances of the NL Cy Young award.

Written By: nally on 08/24/19 at 6:37 pm

Dodgers win today's game, 2-1! In the 9th, the Yankes loaded the bases with 1 out against Kenly Jansen, but he was able to battle his way out of the predicament and preserve the victory! :D

Written By: nally on 08/26/19 at 6:19 pm

I don't even want to talk about the Dodgers' performance in yesterday's game. :-X :-X

Written By: nally on 08/31/19 at 12:21 pm

By the way... yesterday the report on Tyler Skaggs' death has been released. Mr. Skaggs, the former L.A. Angels pitcher, apparently died of a drug overdose on the first of July. :\'(

Written By: nally on 09/01/19 at 9:49 pm

Justin Verlander threw his 3rd career no-hitter today, by blanking the Bluejays in Toronto.

Written By: nally on 09/08/19 at 7:04 pm

Dodgers' magic number to clinch the NL West now down to 2.

They would have clinched it sooner if they hadn't messed up some of their chances to win (i.e., when they were in line to win it in the 9th but effed up and couldn't recover after that).

Written By: nally on 09/10/19 at 11:23 pm

Dodgers are first team to clinch a division this year!!! They defeated the Baltimorioles 7-3, at Camden Yards, to secure the NL West title. It is their 7th straight title, 10th in the last 16 seasons, and 18th in the last 51 seasons (since divisional play began in 1969).

Written By: nally on 09/11/19 at 1:36 pm

Other things that happened in MLB yesterday:

Astros, who had defeated the Mariners by a score of 21-1 on Sunday and the Athletics 15-0 on Monday, got a taste of their own medicine: the Athletics beat 'em 21-7 yesterday. (That's more like a football score!)

Brewers' Christian Yelich, who had been pursuing the home run crown all season, will be out for the rest of the season after fouling a ball off his right kneecap in yesterday's game against his former team, the Marlins. The impact of the foul ball fractured his right kneecap, meaning he will miss the rest of the year (and if the Brewers somehow get into the postseason, he'll be left off the postseason roster).

Written By: nally on 09/16/19 at 12:15 am

I thought the Dodgers were gonna lose the series in CitiField against the New York Mets (after laying a goose-egg last nite), but they rallied in the 8th and 9th innings in tonight's game to get Walker Buehler off the hook!

Written By: nally on 09/18/19 at 11:11 am

Dodgers will not have a losing record in interleague play this season. They came from behind to beat the Tampa Bay Rays, 7-5, in a game that was not shown on any television channel.

Written By: nally on 09/20/19 at 12:50 pm

And it looks like the Yankees, aka the Evil Empire, have clinched the American League East division, giving them their first division title in seven years. (Three out of the last six years, they reached the postseason as a wildcard team; the other three, they didn't make the postseason at all, which is fine with me.)

Written By: nally on 09/21/19 at 10:35 am

Atlanta Braves also clinched yesterday... the NL East division, that is. They did so by blanking the San Francisco Giants.

This means I'm gonna have to cheer for whichever team plays them in the NLDS.

Written By: nally on 09/22/19 at 11:30 pm

Dodgers won their 100th game today, with starting pitcher Hyun-jin Ryu helping his own cause by hitting his first career home run to get his team on the board, and Cody Bellinger going deep for the 46th time with a tiebreaking grand slam (both homers occurred in the 5th inning with nobody out!).

This is the 4th time since moving west that the Dodgers have hit the triple-figures in the win column. First was 1962 (when they failed to make the postseason after finishing in a first-place tie with the Giants, who defeated them in a three-game tiebreaker), then 1974 (when they lost the World Series to the Athletics), then 2017 (when they lost the World Series to the Astros)... I wonder what the 2019 postseason will hold for them... ??? (Hopefully not an early exit, although with the pitching situation the way it is, I'm not holding out a whole lotta hope.)

Written By: nally on 09/25/19 at 10:39 am

So, the Washington Nationals are assured of a wildcard spot; their opponent is likely to be the Milwaukee Brewers at this point. Cubs and Mets are still hangin' on by their fingernails; one more loss for either of those teams, and they're out altogether (a win by the Brewers would also eliminate both teams).

Both Central divisions are still up for grabs, though; however, the NL Central has the Cardinals on top, with the Brewers still having a slim chance to overtake them; the AL Central has the Twins on top, with the Indians still having an outside chance.

The AL wildcard race is also tight right now; A's have the top spot, half a game ahead of the Rays (who have the bottom spot); Indians are only half a game behind the Rays for that lower wildcard spot. All three of those teams are in different divisions, so if they tie, then figuring out which teams get in will be a challenge.

Written By: nally on 09/25/19 at 10:44 am

Oh, and the Dodgers have clinched the top seed in the National League. They won their 101th game, and the Braves (who have the second seed right now) lost their 62nd. So this means the Dodgers will face the NL Wild Card winner in the NLDS (Nats or Brewers), while the Braves are likely to face the Cardinals in their half.

Written By: nally on 09/26/19 at 10:46 am

Twins clinch AL Central, giving them their first division title in 9 years.

Cubs and Mets are eliminated from playoff contention; this is because the Brewers won their game, giving them a playoff spot. However, the NL Central race is still up for grabs, meaning that the Cardinals and Brewers will get, in some order, the division title and a wildcard spot.

Written By: nally on 09/26/19 at 6:37 pm

Dodgers sweep Padres...final score 1-0 in this afternoon's game.

Let's see if the Astros and Yankees can lose some games this weekend to give the Dodgers potential homefield advantage through to the World Series. But then the Dodgers have to beat the Giants this weekend. (Dodgers already clinched the top seed in the NL.)

Written By: nally on 09/29/19 at 5:17 pm

Last division up for grabs is the NL Central...and it looks like the Cardinals are going to hang on and win the crown, giving the Brewers a wildcard spot. This means the NL Wildcard Game will be Brewers at Nationals, Tuesday night.

Written By: nally on 09/29/19 at 10:14 pm

Yep... the playoff races are all set. Cardinals hung on to win the NL Central crown (by blanking the Cubs, who will get a new manager next year; they've decided to part ways with Joe Maddon), and the Brewers get the lower NL wildcard.

First postseason game will be the NL Wildcard Game: Brewers at Nationals, on Tuesday night.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/01/19 at 3:32 pm

First postseason game will be the NL Wildcard Game: Brewers at Nationals, on Tuesday night.

Ready for this game tonight. This postseason is going to be the most interesting one yet!

Written By: nally on 10/01/19 at 6:13 pm

Ready for this game tonight. This postseason is going to be the most interesting one yet!

Let's hope so. Winner gets to play the Dodgers at Thursday night. Dodgers fared well against both teams during the regular season, although they played the Brewers only in April (early in the season); there have been numerous roster changes to both teams since then. For example, the Brewers had Christian Yelich, an early leading candidate for NL MVP, until he suffered a season-ending injury last month.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 10/01/19 at 9:17 pm

Yo good luck tonight man! You're going to need it.

From a fellow NY Mets fan ;)

Written By: nally on 10/01/19 at 11:41 pm

Brewers took an early 3-0 lead, offa Max Scherzer, and they led 3-1 going into the bottom of the 8th inning... but Josh Hader threw wildly, enabling the Nationals to get guys on base... then Juan Soto came up with 2 out and the bases loaded...and he hit a bases-clearing double to put the Nats up 4-3. Soto was then tagged out trying to get to 3rd, but the goahead run had already scored. Then the Brews were retired in the 9th, sending the Nationals to the NLDS.

This is the first time that the Nationals have advanced in the postseason as the Nationals. The only other time this franchise advanced in a postseason was 1981, when they were the Montreal Expos. They won a divisional series that year (said series was made necessary due to the season being split in two via a two-month player strike) and advanced to the NLCS, where they were defeated by the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 10/02/19 at 11:50 pm

Tampa Bay Rays defeat Oakland Athletics to advance to the ALDS against the Houston Astros.

Written By: nally on 10/03/19 at 11:37 pm

NLDS Game Ones:

Cardinals come from behind to (barely) defeat the Braves 7-6 (STL led 7-3 going to the bottom of 9th).

Dodgers blank the Nationals 6-0.

Written By: nally on 10/05/19 at 10:17 am

Yesterday was a bummer in the LDS games.

Astros defeated the Rays, 6-2 (although personally I'm fine with either team).
Braves struck back against the Cardinals, handing them a goose-egg.
Twins' woes against the Evil Empire Yankees continue..

And the Dodgers couldn't get anything going against Stephen Strasburg. :(

Written By: nally on 10/06/19 at 4:19 pm

So, both ALDSes have a team up 2 games to none: Astros over the Rays, and Yankees over the Twins.

Looks like I'm gonna have to root for the Astros to win the ALCS, if the Twins can't find a way to win.

Written By: nally on 10/07/19 at 9:45 am

So, in yesterday's NLDS games...

Cardinals were one strike away from going up 2 games to 1, but the Atlanta Knaves Braves stole the show in the top of the 9th, took a 3-1 lead, and kept it. >:(

Dodgers fell behind early to the Nationals, but rallied in the 6th to score 7 runs and ultimately keep that lead, winning 10-4.

So, both NLDSes could end today (but I'm hoping the Cardinals will bounce back today and force a Game Five in Hotlanta on Wednesday).

Written By: nally on 10/07/19 at 11:28 pm

Tampa Rays stay alive in their ALDS with a 10-3 win over the Astros in St. Pete; pitcher Charlie Moron did well on the mound.

Cardinals stay alive by walking it off in extra innings against the Braves to force a decider in Atlanta on Wednesday. (I hope they win that one.)

Dodgers did NOT put their best feet forward against the Nationals tonight; they started Rich Hill (who hasn't been too good this year overall) and some not-so-hot hitters against Max Scherzer (who I figured would have the upper hand...and he did).

...and the Evil Empire is about to complete the sweep of the Twins. :(

Written By: nally on 10/08/19 at 6:14 pm

...and the Evil Empire is about to complete the sweep of the Twins. :(

Yep... the Twins' goose is cooked. That team seems to have forgotten how to win postseason games.

So, if the Astros win tonight, I'm rooting for them in the ALCS. (Because then they would win their ALDS over the Rays.) Someone has to beat the Yankees dead in their tracks.

Written By: nally on 10/08/19 at 10:24 pm

Rays won tonight by a score of 4-1, outwitting Astros ace Justin Verlander and forcing a decider in Houston on Thursday.

Whichever team wins, I root for them to defeat the Evil Empire in the ALCS.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/09/19 at 4:38 pm

F**king Atlanta sports curse! I'm f**king SICK AND TIRED OF IT!  >:(  >:( https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif

Written By: nally on 10/10/19 at 12:33 am

Personally I'm glad that the Cardinals took care of the Bravos; this means no more tomohawk chant this year. (Cardinals scored 10 runs in the 1st inning to chase Mike Faulty-newicz.)

DUDgers, on the other hand, took an early lead but effed it up in the late innings. https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif If you ask me, I think they're the ones with a sports curse right now. They have a chance to win it all for the first time since 1988, and every year they fizzle out! They finished the regular season with 106 wins, yet they have many a weak spot this year: lack of clutch hitting when the opportunity arises, and their pitching is corrupted (especially the bullpen).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/10/19 at 9:33 am

...DUDgers, on the other hand, took an early lead but effed it up in the late innings...

nally, sorry how the game went - I was rooting for them  :(

Written By: nally on 10/10/19 at 11:18 am

nally, sorry how the game went - I was rooting for them  :(

I was too. (Of course I always root for my team.)

But think of it this way, for the Nationals franchise, they finally get another trip to the League Championship Series. (The only other time they got there was way back in 1981, when they were the Montreal Expos , and ultimately lost to... the Dodgers.)

Jeffrey

Written By: nally on 10/10/19 at 10:59 pm

Congratulations to the Houston Astros; they are moving on to the ALCS for the third straight year... and their opponent is going to be the same team as that of two years ago: the Evil Empire.

Go Astros!

(I think they have a shot; their pitching is stellar, and they have some good hitters. And if they reach the World Series, they get home field no matter what.)

Written By: nally on 10/11/19 at 11:44 pm

So... Game One of the NLCS is in the books now.

Washington shut out St. Louis, 2-0. Nationals' starting pitcher Anibal Sanchez threw 7 2/3 innings of no-hit ball before finally allowing a base hit. This is one of the longest broken-up no-hit bids in postseason history.

If the Nats get to the World Series, it would be their first-ever pennant, leaving the Seattle Mariners as the only team that still has yet to get there.

(Also, if the Dodgers had won on Wednesday night, the NLCS would have started at Dodger Stadium tonight... amidst all the potential wildfire smoke in the air. That said, maybe it's all for the better that they didn't get in.)

Written By: nally on 10/12/19 at 6:28 pm

Nationals won 3-1 over the Cardinals to take a 2-games-to-none series lead. Max Scherzer and Adam Wainwrong dueled for the most part, but Waino took the loss after allowing an early home run.

Written By: nally on 10/13/19 at 12:58 pm

And so, the ALCS opened last night... and it did NOT go well for the Astros, who laid a goose-egg while the Yankees scored a touchdown. Not only that, Masahiro Tanaka was dominant on the mound for NYY. Now I hope the Stros can bounce back tonight with Verlander on the mound.

Written By: nally on 10/14/19 at 8:57 am

Astros even up the ALCS!

Justin Verlander's only flaw was allowing a 2-run homer to Aaron Judge to put NYY up 2-1 in the 4th inning, but George Springer tied it up with a solo shot in the 5th, and the game remained tied at 2 until the 11th inning, when Carlos Correa hit a walkoff solo shot to give the Astros a 3-2 win, to even up the series at a game apiece as the series shifts to the Bronx. Astros will need to win at least one game in Yankee Stadium in order to have a shot at going to the World Series now.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/14/19 at 4:42 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm still so bitter and disgusted right now. Add insult to injury, the Nationals have taken a commanding 2-0 lead over the Cardinals in the NLCS, and more than likely will be going to the World Series. After the Nationals upset the Dodgers, honestly they have no business losing the NLCS to the Cardinals now, who the Braves should have easily taken care of had we not screwed up game 1 OR game 4 the way we did. The Atlanta (or Georgia) sports curse is agonizing. People outside of the state of Georgia don't understand the crazy collapses we've been through across our college football, NFL, and MLB teams the past 4 years or so, and we're wasting talent across the board.  :(

Written By: nally on 10/14/19 at 5:47 pm

^I know, it's a pain. Sure, the Braves have not been to the World Series since 1999 (when they were swept by the Evil Empire), but at least they won one title, in 1995 (their only WS title in all those consecutive years of winning division titles). Dodgers have gone longer than that without winning it all. They thought this was gonna be their year, but after their NLDS finale fell apart it wasn't meant to be.

Personally I won't feel bothered if the Nationals go to the World Series (and if they do, it'll be their first-ever taste of the Fall Classic). Sure, they're up 2 games to nada right now, but the Cardinals could still come back and win the series. There have been instances when a team has won the first two games of a best-of-7 series and still lost. Case in point, the 2004 ALCS, when the Yankees won the first 3 games to put the Redsox on the brink of elimination; Boston came all the way back in that series. (And I'm not necessarily rooting for the Cardinals, but if they do reach the World Series, then I will root for them if the Yankees get in on the AL side -- that is, a 1964 WS rematch. If that comes to fruition then I'll definitely root for STL.)

Written By: nally on 10/14/19 at 11:02 pm

Nat'ls are now one win away from their first-ever World Series. Stephen Strasburg was on his game tonight; he and the other Washington starters have allowed no earned runs at all in this NLCS. (Tonight, a throwing error by Juan Soto allowed a Cardinals runner to score, but that was all.) What's more, they haven't allowed a hit to a left-handed batter in this series, either.

Written By: nally on 10/15/19 at 7:10 pm

Astros take the 2-games-to-1 series lead. Gerrit Cole, usually known for striking out the opposition, remains unbeaten since late May (even though he walked 5 batters in this game... but he did not allow an earned run).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/15/19 at 10:22 pm

Nat'ls are now one win away from their first-ever World Series...

The Nationals did it!  They're headed to the World Series!    :)

Written By: nally on 10/16/19 at 8:42 am

The Nationals did it!  They're headed to the World Series!    :)

I actually didn't think at first that they were gonna sweep the Cardinals, but... they ended up doing so! Congratulations to the Washington Nationals!!!

Too bad they have to wait until next Tuesday to start it. That's a drawback about sweeping an LCS; the team that does so has to wait roughly a week before starting the World Series... and often times their momentum tends to diminish.

Written By: nally on 10/16/19 at 6:42 pm

Game Four of ALCS called on account of inclement weather in the Bronx. It'll be made up tomorrow, and Game Five will be played on Friday.

And if Game Six is necessary, I guess it'll go back to Houston on Saturday.

Written By: nally on 10/18/19 at 8:38 am

Am I the only one updating this thread?

Astros are now one win away from appearing in the World Series for the third time ever! (second as an AL team). They defeated the Yankees in a comedy of errors (NYY committed four of them) to go up 3 games to 1 in the ALCS.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/18/19 at 2:14 pm

Go, Astros!  :)

Written By: nally on 10/18/19 at 11:46 pm

Go, Astros!  :)

Sadly, they ended up not getting it done tonight. :( They scored first, a lone run in the first inning on a wild pitch...but the Evil Empire answered in the bottom of the first with four runs off Verlander. No additional scoring was done after that.

So, the Astros will need to carry their champagne back to Houston, and hopefully pop it tomorrow night.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/19 at 11:22 pm

Now, they did it!  In dramatic walk-off fashion - way to go, Astros!

Astros/Nationals should be a good series to watch.

Subject: ASTROS WIN! ASTROS WIN!! YANKEES LOSE!

Written By: nally on 10/20/19 at 12:03 am

Now, they did it!  In dramatic walk-off fashion - way to go, Astros!

Yep - they entered the 9th inning with a 2-run lead (after squandering opportunities to score insurance runs), Roberto Osuna issues a game-tying home run to DJ LeMahieu... but in the bottom of the 9th, Jose Altuve provided the heroics: a towering 2-run walkoff homer off Aroldis Chapmen. Altuve was named ALCS MVP.

Oh yes, very much so. Both teams seem to have had good pitching this postseason. Gerrit Cole will likely start the opening game for Houston on Tuesday night. (He would have likely been tagged to start tomorrow if the ALCS decider had been necessary.) Anyways, this will be the second-ever World Series to be a battle of expansion teams (the only other one was that of 2015, featuring the Royals and Mets).

Subject: Re: ASTROS WIN! ASTROS WIN!! YANKEES LOSE!

Written By: nally on 10/22/19 at 5:31 pm

Game One kicks off in about an hour and a half from now! (8pm Eastern time/7pm Central time/5pm Pacific time)

Written By: nally on 10/22/19 at 11:05 pm

Nationals win their first-ever World Series Game in franchise history! They narrowly beat the Astros 5-4 in Game One. Max Scherzer had to labor through 5 innings (throwing 112 total pitches), but he picked up the win. Left fielder Juan Soto provided most of the offense, including hitting a solo shot in his second AB to tie the game at 2-2, and knocking two runs in his next AB to put the Nats ahead for good. He also made some great defensive plays. Astros clawed away in later innings, but came within one run... and their starter Gerrit Cole finally lost a game for the first time since May 22nd.

Written By: nally on 10/24/19 at 12:07 am

Washington is now up 2 games to none; who'da thunk it?!

Both starting pitchers -- Steven Strasburg for WSH, Justin Verlander for HOU -- threw triple-digit pitch counts, and held their respective opposition team to 2 runs over the first six innings (both surrendered a pair in the first). But in the 7th inning, Nationals' catcher Kurt Suzuki started a rally by hitting a towering solo homer to break the 2-2 tie, eventually chasing Verlander. By the time said inning was over, the Nats scored six runs to go up 8-2. Then Adam Eaton hit a 2-run shot in the 8th inning, making it 10-2; another run also scored. And in the top of the 9th, new centerfielder Michael A. Taylor (replacing Victor Robles) hit a solo shot to make it 12-2; Houston answered with a solo homer by catcher Martin Maldonado to give the Astros their third run; when it was all over, final score was Nationals 12, Astros 3.

The Nationals have not lost since Game Three of the NLDS to the Dodgers, which was played 17 days ago.

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 12:05 am

...and Game Five will be necessary, come Sunday night.

Why?

Because the momentum has swung the other way. Stros seemed to get the upper hand, and the Nat'ls could just not cash in on any scoring opportunities tonight. What a bummer. :(

Written By: nally on 10/26/19 at 11:31 pm

I did start watching Game Four, but it didn't seem to go well. Enter the 7th inning, and it went from bad to worse.

So, it looks like the series will be carried back to Houston on Tuesday night. :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/28/19 at 6:22 pm

So...the visiting team has won every game of this year's World Series thus far.

Too bad those Nationals couldn't put up a "Curly W" in any of the three games that were played at Nationals' Park. :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/30/19 at 12:00 am

Nationals won Game Six to force a decider tomorrow!!!

Stephen Strasburg pitched 8 1/3 innings, allowing only two runs (both of which came in the first inning), but his team scored seven!

There was, however, a controversial call of "runner's interference" in the 7th inning by Trea Turner, who was called out for this... but two batters later, Anthony Rendon hit a two-run homer to pull away from the Stros.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/30/19 at 9:40 pm

Ooooh this game is epic!  Going into the 7th inning it was 2-0 Astros.  The Nats hit two homers (including a walk) now it is 3-2 Nats.  So exciting I'm on the edge of my seat!!!  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/30/19 at 10:53 pm

WOW!!!  The Washington Nationals just won the World Series in game 7, 6 to 2.

Written By: nally on 10/31/19 at 12:14 am

Ooooh this game is epic!  Going into the 7th inning it was 2-0 Astros.  The Nats hit two homers (including a walk) now it is 3-2 Nats.  So exciting I'm on the edge of my seat!!!  :D

Yeah... Greinke seemed like he was in control through six innings. Scherzer, on the other hand, was rather rusty. I was nervously hoping for the Nationals to do something good. (Just had to be patient.)

Then in the 7th inning the Nationals' bats finally woke up. Rendon hit a solo shot to put his team on the board. Then Greinke walked Juan Soto... and that was the end of the line for Zack. His replacement, Will Harris, then issued a homer to Howie Kendrick to put Washington on top. They never trailed after that. Roberto Osuna replaced Harris and eventually gave up Washington's 4th run (8th inning). When they went up 4-2 I felt a little better about things.

Patrick Corbin, who replaced Scherzer, kept the Stros from scoring any more runs through the 8th. In the 9th, Washington tacked on a pair of insurance runs to go up 6-2. Bottom of the 9th: Dan Hudson retired the side in order, and...

WOW!!!  The Washington Nationals just won the World Series in game 7, 6 to 2.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS!!!

And congrats to starting pitcher Stephen Strasburg for being named MVP of the series. (He's the first pitcher to win WS MVP since MadBum with the Giants in 2014.)

This is the first-ever best-of-seven series in any professional sport in which the visiting team has won every game. The Nationals also become the first team since the 2002 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to win the World Series in their first-ever appearance. (Arizona D'backs also did it the previous year.)

Written By: nally on 11/11/19 at 8:05 pm

Today the Rookie Of The Year awards were handed out.

National League: Pete Alonso, New York Mets
American League: Yordan Alvarez, Houston Astros

Congratulations to both! (I had a feeling Pete Alonso was gonna win it in the NL. He had quite a season.)

Written By: nally on 11/13/19 at 7:20 pm

Yesterday the Managers Of The Year were crowned.

American League: Rocco Baldelli, Minnesota Twins. In his first year at the helm, he led the Twins to the team's first division title in nine years; also under his management, the team broke the record for the most home runs by a team in one season (307).
National League: Mike Shildt, St. Louis Cardinals. This was his first full season as the team's manager (he took over at the middle of last season after the dismissal of Mike Matheny, who has recently been hired to become the KC Royals' next skipper). Shildt, who had no experience as a Major League player, guided the Cardinals to their first division title since 2015.

Written By: nally on 11/13/19 at 7:22 pm

and the following pitchers were named Cy Young Award winners today:

Jacob DeGrom, New York Mets, for the National League
Justin Verlander, Houston Astros, for the American League

Written By: nally on 11/15/19 at 8:47 am

And last but not least, the league MVPs were announced yesterday (Thursday):

Cody Bellinger, L.A. Dodgers (National League)
Mike Trout, L.A. Angels (American League)

In the American League race, it was close between Trout and the Astros' Alex Bregman. Those two guys shared all the first- and second-place votes. But Trout came out on top...for the 4th time in his career.

Check for new replies or respond here...