inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "I Want Sports" rant

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/15/20 at 2:57 pm

During the COVID-19 shutdown, I'm trying to be a "good sport" about the lack of sports, but I'm getting more and more bummed out.  I want my pro baseball!  I want my pro football!  I want my pro hockey!  I want my college sports!  Etc. etc. etc.

I even want our grandkids' travel team soccer to resume (despite how it keeps us hopping like crazy).

Anybody with me?

Subject: Re: The "I Want Sports" rant

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/20 at 3:05 pm

I want my sport too!

I want my cricket, I want to met up with my cricket friends.

The lockdown is ruining the chances of futures sporting players, with the lack of proper training.

Written By: nally on 05/15/20 at 4:39 pm

I agree!!

I have been periodically posting various updates in LSTE about the delayed start to the MLB season, which may or may not even be played at all this year. There has been talk of a shortened schedule, with about half as many games as a normal schedule, with teams playing each other only within their own division and corresponding division; this would begin roughly in early July, but nothing has been finalized or confirmed yet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/16/20 at 2:22 am

Add a friend of mine, not only itching to get back to cricket, but also, wants the football season to recommence so that the season can be finished properly.

Written By: nally on 05/16/20 at 12:02 pm

Add a friend of mine, not only itching to get back to cricket, but also, wants the football season to recommence so that the season can be finished properly.

Some people feel the same way about the NHL (hockey) and NBA (basketball) here in North America.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/16/20 at 10:29 pm

I still have unused tickets to an NHL game that was supposed to commence March 13 - they shut down the season on the 11th.  (Teaches me to select a game to go to on Friday the 13th)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/27/20 at 11:34 am

I'm starting to wonder about the upcoming NFL season.  I love American Football and preseason games usually start in August...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/20 at 11:47 am

In the UK it has been announced that the Premier League could be starting again with the football players now allowed to start full and proper training.

About time!

Written By: nally on 05/27/20 at 5:17 pm

I'm starting to wonder about the upcoming NFL season.  I love American Football and preseason games usually start in August...

I've been seeing news briefs about that, as well as other pro sports. Still on hold.

Written By: nally on 06/16/20 at 3:48 pm

I agree!!

I have been periodically posting various updates in LSTE about the delayed start to the MLB season, which may or may not even be played at all this year. There has been talk of a shortened schedule, with about half as many games as a normal schedule, with teams playing each other only within their own division and corresponding division; this would begin roughly in early July, but nothing has been finalized or confirmed yet.

Update... the other day, commissioner Rob Manfred announced that he thinks it'll be more and more unlikely for any games to be played at all this year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/16/20 at 4:04 pm

Update... the other day, commissioner Rob Manfred announced that he thinks it'll be more and more unlikely for any games to be played at all this year.

:\'(

I'd be OK with a shortened season - but no baseball at all?  Sad me...

Written By: nally on 06/17/20 at 4:59 pm

I'd be OK with a shortened season - but no baseball at all?  Sad me...

I would've been ok with a shortened season as well, which was discussed a month ago. (That is, potential plans for one.)

What's even worse is that this year's All Star Game was slated to be played at Dodger Stadium, for the first time in 40 years... but that's likely to not occur.

Perhaps they could play this year's intended schedule next year? (If so, they'd have to start it on April 1st and end it on October 3rd. In 2021 that is.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/23/20 at 10:31 pm

Hot off the press - I just read that the MLB and players may have came up with an agreement to start baseball in late July. 

:o

This is welcome news!  Although, I read they are putting a few wacky rules in place, some being talked about before Covid.  Plus, empty stadiums - big bummer.  Nonetheless, this could be the breakthrough we've been hoping for...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/20 at 9:45 am

Things are looking good for the progress of sport catching up on matches. In the UK, football has started behind closed doors, hoping to achieve winners etc. And cricket is due for a warm up match to be played behind closed doors.

Written By: nally on 06/24/20 at 4:58 pm

Hot off the press - I just read that the MLB and players may have came up with an agreement to start baseball in late July. 

:o

This is welcome news!  Although, I read they are putting a few wacky rules in place, some being talked about before Covid.  Plus, empty stadiums - big bummer.  Nonetheless, this could be the breakthrough we've been hoping for...

I heard about that last nite. However, I'm not entirely sold on it; that is, I don't think it'll entirely come to fruition. For one thing, it's gonna be hard to social-distance the players. And with the pandemic still likely to be around by the latter part of the next month, I don't know if it'll be entirely safe to play. That said, there may not exactly be a season this year (as much as it pains me to say and/or type that). :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/25/20 at 8:14 am

And what about people coming back to wrestling arenas?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/29/20 at 10:00 am

And what about people coming back to wrestling arenas?
Wrestling is a contact sport?

Written By: Howard on 06/29/20 at 1:33 pm

Wrestling is a contact sport?

I was referring to the audience itself.

Written By: nally on 06/29/20 at 6:32 pm

I was referring to the audience itself.

The same would apply to other arenas/stadiums in which a pro sport is played. I'm not sure at this point. In fact, it would be pretty hard for people to social-distance in the seats, unless every other seat was closed off or something. That said, I don't think the baseball games would have any patrons in attendance.

Written By: nally on 07/07/20 at 5:16 pm

I heard about that last nite. However, I'm not entirely sold on it; that is, I don't think it'll entirely come to fruition. For one thing, it's gonna be hard to social-distance the players. And with the pandemic still likely to be around by the latter part of the next month, I don't know if it'll be entirely safe to play. That said, there may not exactly be a season this year (as much as it pains me to say and/or type that). :-\\

July 23 is now the set start date for MLB this year, with teams to play each other only within regional divisions (West, Central, and East), with interleague games in the corresponding regional division. For example, the Dodgers would only play all the other NL West teams, plus all the AL West teams.

And I have also heard that certain players have declined to play this year, even if there is a season, due to virus concerns.

Oh, and there'll be no All-Star Game this year. This year's originally-planned game, originally scheduled for Dodger Stadium next Tuesday, has been cancelled. But not to worry; the venue is now slated to host the ASG in 2022.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/20 at 1:13 am

Cricket's first Test match in four months begins today, when England take on West Indies in Southampton behind closed doors. It can be viewed on a pay-to-view channel, with highlights on terrestrial a channel tonight.

Written By: nally on 07/15/20 at 4:45 pm

July 23 is now the set start date for MLB this year, with teams to play each other only within regional divisions (West, Central, and East), with interleague games in the corresponding regional division. For example, the Dodgers would only play all the other NL West teams, plus all the AL West teams.

And I have also heard that certain players have declined to play this year, even if there is a season, due to virus concerns.

Oh, and there'll be no All-Star Game this year. This year's originally-planned game, originally scheduled for Dodger Stadium next Tuesday, has been cancelled. But not to worry; the venue is now slated to host the ASG in 2022.

I have been hearing that it seems to be a done deal that the season will start as planned on the 23rd, and Closing Day will still be on September 27th. But I still don't see it playing out as planned.

Written By: nally on 07/18/20 at 10:28 pm

A few "Summer camp" games were played today between various pairs of MLB teams at actual MLB stadiums. They are preparing for the start to the "revised" MLB season which is slated to start next Thursday.

I sure hope no players get infected.

However, it is undecided as to which stadium the Toronto Bluejays will call home this year, as Canada's government has decided it is unsuitable for the Jays to play at their usual home stadium: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29488579/blue-jays-not-allowed-play-games-canada
Of course they are the only MLB team currently NOT based in the U.S., but they are looking at possible minor-league facilities.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/18/20 at 10:34 pm

What are sports?  ;D

Tennis is the only sport I would try. ::)

Written By: nally on 07/18/20 at 10:36 pm

What are sports?  ;D

Tennis is the only sport I would try. ::)

I used to play tennis at the park when I was a kid. I also took a tennis class in high school (and did fairly well).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/21/20 at 4:20 am

They already cancelled the College World Series, which cost the city of Omaha untold millions of dollars in tourism revenue, but if they cancel college football then the people of Nebraska will lose their ever loving minds.

There's really nothing much else here to get excited about besides Husker football.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 07/23/20 at 4:05 pm

MLB begins its shortened 2020 season today. I am contemplating making a new thread for it.

Written By: nally on 07/23/20 at 11:49 pm

MLB begins its shortened 2020 season today. I am contemplating making a new thread for it.

The MLB thread for this year is finally here: http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=61867.0

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 4:09 am

Today see the start of County Cricket Season in the UK, with a friendly two day match between Surrey and Middlesex, I will not be going on several matters, I am still shielding, the virus is still out there, and tickets have to be pre-booked online so that spectators attending numbers can be control. For me I just like to turn up.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/31/20 at 11:36 pm

It looks like tomorrow we're going to see playoff NHL hockey start.  While I'm eager for playoff hockey, I'm also concerned about Covid as it hasn't cooperated thus far.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 3:28 am

Today see the start of County Cricket Season in the UK, with a friendly two day match between Surrey and Middlesex, I will not be going on several matters, I am still shielding, the virus is still out there, and tickets have to be pre-booked online so that spectators attending numbers can be control. For me I just like to turn up.
Now all pilot sporting events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood (horse racing), the Crucible (snooker) and The Oval (cricket), will not go ahead. Postponed for two weeks.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/01/20 at 10:21 am

Now all pilot sporting events allowing limited numbers of spectators at Goodwood (horse racing), the Crucible (snooker) and The Oval (cricket), will not go ahead. Postponed for two weeks.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/20 at 10:33 am

If I was healthier, I would had been at The Oval with my friends.

Written By: nally on 02/26/22 at 11:06 am

I think it’s time to revive this thread again. Why? Because MLB Spring Training was supposed to start today, but this ongoing lockout is precluding that. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/26/22 at 11:12 am

I think it’s time to revive this thread again. Why? Because MLB Spring Training was supposed to start today, but this ongoing lockout is precluding that. >:(

Indeed.  Can't blame COVID for this delay.

Written By: nally on 02/27/22 at 12:32 am

Indeed.  Can't blame COVID for this delay.

I just want the powers that be to get their acts together, and not have to cancel any regular season games. (Cuz' then some teams would be deprived of season serieses against certain opponents.) As it is, at least one week's worth of spring training games have already been canceled because of this. It would've been nice if they'd been able to get an agreement going a long while ago, and not have to enforce any sort of lockout in the first place. That's just my opinion, anyways.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/27/22 at 2:46 pm

I just want the powers that be to get their acts together, and not have to cancel any regular season games. (Cuz' then some teams would be deprived of season serieses against certain opponents.) As it is, at least one week's worth of spring training games have already been canceled because of this. It would've been nice if they'd been able to get an agreement going a long while ago, and not have to enforce any sort of lockout in the first place. That's just my opinion, anyways.

I agree.  They've had the time to hash this out.  Enough already!  Besides obviously the teams/players, the people who are suffering are the amazing fans who've made the trip to watch Spring Training.  10 years ago that was us.  I wouldn't like to fly to the Phoenix area to see baseball and there isn't any to see.

Written By: nally on 02/28/22 at 11:25 pm

I agree.  They've had the time to hash this out.  Enough already!  Besides obviously the teams/players, the people who are suffering are the amazing fans who've made the trip to watch Spring Training.  10 years ago that was us.  I wouldn't like to fly to the Phoenix area to see baseball and there isn't any to see.

I haven't heard any updates on the situation yet...I'd like to see some positive progress be made here.

Nice that you got to see some Spring Training back in '12.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/01/22 at 8:22 pm

I haven't heard any updates on the situation yet...I'd like to see some positive progress be made here.

I just read that the regular season won't start on time because they couldn't get to an agreement  >:(  >:(  >:(

Nice that you got to see some Spring Training back in '12.

Thanks!  It was a lot of fun.  Here's just one picture we took from our seats back then - A.J. Pierzynski was still on the White Sox then -

Written By: nally on 03/01/22 at 8:52 pm

I just read that the regular season won't start on time because they couldn't get to an agreement  >:(  >:(  >:(

…which I still believe is utterly ridiculous.

Thanks!  It was a lot of fun.  Here's just one picture we took from our seats back then - A.J. Pierzinski was still on the White Sox then -

Nice… yep, I remember him with that team. O0

Written By: nally on 03/09/22 at 7:52 pm

No games through mid April. :\'( :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/22 at 10:06 pm

Written By: nally on 03/09/22 at 10:29 pm

Yes, I just heard about it earlier today. I still think it's utterly ridiculous that they can't come to a resolution. >:(

I think some of the owners/people involved are obssessed with putting more teams into the postseason. ::)

Subject: MLB lockout is over

Written By: Contigo on 03/10/22 at 2:53 pm

I'm just reading over the news wire than the lockout is over. I believe its still a 162 game season, starting April 7th.

Subject: Re: MLB lockout is over

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/10/22 at 4:49 pm

I'm just reading over the news wire than the lockout is over. I believe its still a 162 game season, starting April 7th.

WOW, big news!!! 

Written By: nally on 03/10/22 at 8:17 pm

Yeah, I was just hearing word of this too; that’s awesome! Of course, if the 162 game season is preserved, then they would need to makeup the lost week’s worth of games as doubleheaders, either on “off” days, or possibly during the first week of October. (Closing Day was originally slated to be Oct 2nd.)

Written By: nally on 03/10/22 at 11:19 pm

Yeah, I was just hearing word of this too; that’s awesome! Of course, if the 162 game season is preserved, then they would need to makeup the lost week’s worth of games as doubleheaders, either on “off” days, or possibly during the first week of October. (Closing Day was originally slated to be Oct 2nd.)

Update… I watched MLB Network this evening, and there was a mention of some non-divisional games being rescheduled for early October. Which means the postseason would get started a little late. That’s another thing, the revised postseason was discussed in detail. All first- and second-place finishing teams will qualify, with seeds 3 through 6 partaking in a wildcard round (each pair of teams playing a single game), with the winners facing the top two teams in the LDS. So this year’s World Series might inevitably spill into November.

Check for new replies or respond here...