inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2020 MLB thread

Written By: nally on 07/23/20 at 11:49 pm

Yes, folks, the Major League Baseball season has finally begun...with a shortened season due to the COVID Pandemic. Each team will play 60 games, only against teams within its own division and teams against its corresponding division in the opposite league. (For example, the Dodgers, a National League West team, will only play the other NL West teams, as well as all the AL West teams.) There are other special changes made for this year only, such as a DH in both leagues.

And today was Opening Day for two pairs of teams: the New York Yankees at the Washington Nationals, and the San Francisco Giants at the L.A. Dodgers.

Subject: Re: 2020 MLB thread

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/20 at 8:39 am

Yes, folks, the Major League Baseball season has finally begun...with a shortened season due to the COVID Pandemic. Each team will play 60 games, only against teams within its own division and teams against its corresponding division in the opposite league. (For example, the Dodgers, a National League West team, will only play the other NL West teams, as well as all the AL West teams.) There are other special changes made for this year only, such as a DH in both leagues.

And today was Opening Day for two pairs of teams: the New York Yankees at the Washington Nationals, and the San Francisco Giants at the L.A. Dodgers.

As long as the pandemic is still active, this season should have an asterisk after 2020. Not to diminish the accomplishments of the teams and players, but I'm of the opinion that any sports played with a shortened season playing only regional teams cannot be comfortable to anybody, especially the fans. Let's continue to pray for a vaccine that works on everybody.

Written By: nally on 07/24/20 at 4:45 pm

As long as the pandemic is still active, this season should have an asterisk after 2020. Not to diminish the accomplishments of the teams and players, but I'm of the opinion that any sports played with a shortened season playing only regional teams cannot be comfortable to anybody, especially the fans. Let's continue to pray for a vaccine that works on everybody.

A lot of people have been saying that about the asterisk...and while I do tend to agree with that, there are downsides to that. However, this is NOT the first time that a season has been shortened. For example, there have been several instances of a strike, most notably the in the mid-1990s that wiped out the final two months of the 1994 season, that year's postseason, and the beginning of the 1995 season. Nonetheless, all the players did what they could then.

There was also discussion of an expanded postseason, which was approved yesterday. In each division, the top 2 teams will all qualify (that is, each division winner and its respective runner-up), plus two wildcards determined by best record among remaining teams in the AL and NL. So, a team could theoretically make it to the postseason with a losing record, which I find odd in a sense. Not only that, this new postseasonal round (which will take place Tuesday Sept 29th through Thursday Oct 1st among AL teams, and Wednesday Sept 30th through Friday Oct 2nd among NL teams) will be a best-2-of-3 format, with the better-record team hosting all games (so, in either league the team with the best record will play the "lower wildcard", #2 vs #7, #3 vs #6, and #4 vs #5). Then the winners of that round will all advance to the LDS beginning on Saturday Oct 3rd for the AL, and Sunday Oct 4th for the NL. (This way, the division winners will not have to wait until 4 or 5 days after Closing Day to start the postseason.) The World Series will still be over with before Election Day.

Written By: nally on 07/24/20 at 4:46 pm

Btw, in yesterday's games... the Yankees defeated the defending-champion Nationals in a rain-shortened game at D.C. by a score of 4-1; and the Dodgers routed the Giants 8-1 in late innings.

Written By: nally on 07/25/20 at 10:50 am

Dodgers make it 2 in a row to start the "shortened" season! Max Muncy went deep twice en route to a 9-1 victory over the Giants. Starting pitcher Ross Stripling also did well, throwing 92 pitches over 7 innings.

Written By: nally on 07/25/20 at 11:37 pm

Alex Wood (whom I like to refer to as "Alex Knock On Wood") not so great in his first start of his second stint with Dodgers. Gives up a handful of runs in a game that the Dodgers would eventually lose. (This gives new Giants manager Gabe Kepler his first regular-season win as manager of said team.)

Written By: nally on 07/28/20 at 12:47 pm

A handful of Miami Marlins' team personnel have tested positive for the Covid, resulting in postponement of their games with the Baltimore Orioles.  :o Commissioner Manfred says he's optimistic about things. He doesn't think that the season will need to be cancelled yet.

Written By: nally on 07/31/20 at 6:47 pm

Phillies and Marlins are both putting their respective games on hold due to virus protocols.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/31/20 at 11:33 pm

A handful of Miami Marlins' team personnel have tested positive for the Covid, resulting in postponement of their games with the Baltimore Orioles.  :o Commissioner Manfred says he's optimistic about things. He doesn't think that the season will need to be cancelled yet.

Phillies and Marlins are both putting their respective games on hold due to virus protocols.

:\'(

Written By: nally on 08/01/20 at 12:45 am

:\'(

St Louis Cardinals had two members of their team personnel test positive as well. :(

Written By: nally on 08/04/20 at 2:12 pm

St Louis Cardinals had two members of their team personnel test positive as well. :(

Actually, they had several more members test positive (seven players, including veteran catcher Yadier Molina), and have put their games on hold indefinitely because of this. :o

Written By: nally on 08/10/20 at 10:13 pm

...And it is still not known when the Cardinals will be playing games again, due to more positive Covid tests. :(

Written By: nally on 08/15/20 at 7:09 pm

Cardinals are finally back in action today!

It's anyone's guess as to when they'll be able to make up certain lost games, such as their season series with the Tigers (aka the 2006 World Series rematch).

Written By: nally on 08/16/20 at 10:37 pm

Dodgers actually swept a three game series at Angel Stadium! I don't think they've ever done that in the history of interleague play.

Written By: nally on 08/21/20 at 6:02 pm

And now the New York Mets are plagued with positive COVID tests. :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/25/20 at 9:39 pm

Today, Lucas Giolito of my beloved Chicago White Sox  :-* just threw a fabulous no hitter - with 13 strikeouts!

Written By: nally on 08/26/20 at 10:22 am

Today, Lucas Giolito of my beloved Chicago White Sox  :-* just threw a fabulous no hitter - with 13 strikeouts!

I saw... congrats to him and the White Sox! O0

Elsewhere, the Dudgers messed up a chance to win in San Fran...and surrendered the winning run to the Gints in the 11th. :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/26/20 at 3:51 pm

...Elsewhere, the Dudgers messed up a chance to win in San Fran...and surrendered the winning run to the Gints in the 11th. :(

Sorry to hear  :(

Written By: nally on 08/26/20 at 4:42 pm

Sorry to hear  :(

Yeah. If only the Dodgers had capitalized on their opportunities to win in regulation (that is, scoring guys they put on base), then they would have avoided extra innings.

Written By: nally on 08/27/20 at 10:58 am

Three pairs of teams elected not to play their games last night due to a serious shooting in Wisconsin yesterday afternoon: Reds at Brewers, Mariners at Padres, and Dodgers at Giants. All of said teams will make up their games as part of doubleheaders today.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/27/20 at 11:04 am

Three pairs of teams elected not to play their games last night due to a serious shooting in Wisconsin yesterday afternoon: Reds at Brewers, Mariners at Padres, and Dodgers at Giants. All of said teams will make up their games as part of doubleheaders today.

I think there are even more being postponed...    :-\\

Written By: nally on 08/27/20 at 11:10 am

I know that the Angels-Astros game was postponed in anticipation of Hurricane Laura threatening that part of the Gulf Coast. That's why they played a doubleheader on Tuesday.

Written By: nally on 08/28/20 at 10:33 am

Oh yes, there were seven of them postponed yesterday.

Written By: nally on 08/31/20 at 12:24 am

So...all teams observed Jackie Robinson Day this weekend, with all team personnel wearing "42" jerseys. Not just on Friday (which marked 75 years since Mr. Robinson's historic meeting with Branch Rickey to discuss his potential in MLB), but all weekend long.

And the Oakland Athletics become the latest team to have a positive Covid test, thereby warranting a postponement of their game with the Astros today. :o

Written By: nally on 09/01/20 at 10:45 am

Yesterday was the trade deadline in MLB, and it looks like the Padres went out and got a lot of big names.

Elsewhere, the Dodgers said goodbye to Ross Stripling, who was dealt to the Blue Jays for a "player to be named later."

Written By: nally on 09/04/20 at 4:50 pm

Dodgers are 30 and 10 through their first 40 games. (That would put them on pace for 120 wins in a regular-sized season (162 games), but this year is a shortened season, so they're only on pace for 45 wins.)

Written By: nally on 09/09/20 at 10:51 pm

Final score in Atlanta: Braves 29, Marlins 9!

No, that is not a typo. The Braves indeed went on a huge scoring spree, hitting plenty of home runs.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/12/20 at 9:14 pm

My Chicago Cubs  :-* put up a 4-spot in the 9th inning to beat the pesky Brewers 4 - 2.

My Chicago White Sox  :-* hold a commanding lead over the rival Tigers 14 - 0 in the 9th.

Good day for Chicago baseball!  8)

(The remote control gets quite a workout when both teams play simultaneously...)

Written By: nally on 09/13/20 at 12:11 am

My Chicago Cubs  :-* put up a 4-spot in the 9th inning to beat the pesky Brewers 4 - 2.

My Chicago White Sox  :-* hold a commanding lead over the rival Tigers 14 - 0 in the 9th.

Good day for Chicago baseball!  8)

(The remote control gets quite a workout when both teams play simultaneously...)

Excellent!! :)

That White Sox v Tigers score, that's more like a football score! :D (You'd think it was Bears and Lions, lol.)

My team (the DUDgers), on the other hand, had a chance to win it, but I hear that the bullpen effed it up again. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/20 at 4:06 pm

And today, Alec Mills of my beloved Chicago Cubs  :-* just threw himself a fabulous no hitter!  WOO-HOO!

Second no hitter of 2020 (I think)...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/20 at 4:07 pm

... I hear that the bullpen effed it up again. >:(

Aw rats, don'tcha hate when that happens!  >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/20 at 4:40 pm

And today, Alec Mills of my beloved Chicago Cubs  :-* just threw himself a fabulous no hitter!  WOO-HOO!

And I just read where it's the first time in history both the Cubs and White Sox have thrown no hitters in the same season!  :o

Written By: nally on 09/13/20 at 5:37 pm

Second no hitter of 2020 (I think)...

Woo hoo! Hats off to him! O0

And I just read where it's the first time in history both the Cubs and White Sox have thrown no hitters in the same season!  :o

Awesome!!

Written By: nally on 09/13/20 at 5:40 pm

Aw rats, don'tcha hate when that happens!  >:(

Yeah, this ain't the first time this year (or in recent years, for that matter) that LAD has entered the 8th inning with a lead, especially of 4+ runs, and the relief pitchers couldn't set down the opposition. The bullpen's job is NOT to relinquish the lead! >:(

Written By: nally on 09/14/20 at 11:42 pm

I should also add that in yesterday's (Sunday) games, Angels veteran Albert Pujols hit his 660th career home run, tying him with Willie Mays for fifth place on the all-time list.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/16/20 at 9:58 pm

I should also add that in yesterday's (Sunday) games, Angels veteran Albert Pujols hit his 660th career home run, tying him with Willie Mays for fifth place on the all-time list.

O0 Congrats to Albert Pujols!

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 11:36 am

O0 Congrats to Albert Pujols!

His next home run will put him in sole possession of fifth place. Next on the list is A-Rod, who retired in 2016 with 696 homers.

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 11:38 am

Anyways, the Dodgers have become the first team to be assured of a postseason spot this year. They held off the Padres, who've been chasing them for the NL West division title.

Written By: nally on 09/17/20 at 12:39 pm

A couple days ago, MLB announced the plans for this year's postseason. It'll be different than those of years past, in that the teams won't all play at their home stadiums after the "wildcard round." (Both wildcard rounds will be best two out of three.)

Tuesday September 29 through Thursday October 1: A.L. Wildcard round: the top four seeded teams will host all their respective games at their respective home stadiums. Winners advance to the ALDS.

Wednesday September 30 through Friday October 2: N.L. Wildcard round: the top four seeded teams will host all their respective games at their respective home stadiums. Winners advance to the NLDS.

No games will be played Saturday October 3 or Sunday October 4.

Monday October 5 through Friday October 9: American League Division Series. One pair of teams will play at Dodger Stadium, and the other pair of teams will play at Petco Park (home of the Padres). No travel dates. It will still be a best three of five, with the winners advancing to the ALCS.

Tuesday October 6 through Saturday October 10: National League Division Series. One pair of teams will play at Globe Life Field (home of the Rangers), and the other pair of teams will play at Minute Maid Park (home of the Astros). No travel dates. It will still be a best three of five, with the winners advancing to the NLCS.

Sunday October 11 through Saturday October 17: American League Championship Series. All games will be played at Petco Park, with no travel dates. Winner advances to World Series.

Monday October 12 through Sunday October 18: National League Championship Series. All games will be played at Globe Life Field, with no travel dates. Winner advances to World Series.

Tuesday October 20: World Series begins at Globe Life Field. (I assume that the team with the better regular-season record will be treated as the "home field advantage" team; that is, for games 1, 2, and 6, 7 (if necessary).) There would be idle dates on Thursday the 22nd and Monday the 26th (if necessary), with Game Seven being played on Wednesday the 28th (if necessary, weather permitting).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/17/20 at 9:56 pm

Anyways, the Dodgers have become the first team to be assured of a postseason spot this year...

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Today my Chicago White Sox  :-* clinched for themselves a playoff berth upon beating Minnesota.  (How I love it when we can beat those dreaded Twinkies!)

Written By: nally on 09/18/20 at 10:21 am

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Today my Chicago White Sox  :-* clinched for themselves a playoff berth upon beating Minnesota.  (How I love it when we can beat those dreaded Twinkies!)

Yes, great news for the White Sox! First time since 2008 they're getting in.

Tampa Bay Rays are also assured of a postseason spot.

(Hey, those two teams last faced off when the Whitesox were in the postseason! That is, when the Sox last got there, they faced the Rays in the ALDS, only to exit early. That was Tampa's first time in the postseason. And btw, I rooted for the White Sox 15 years ago in the World Series because they hadn't won it since 1917. Prior to 2005, their previous WS appearance was 1959, losing to the Dodgers.)

Written By: nally on 09/19/20 at 11:51 am

His next home run will put him in sole possession of fifth place. Next on the list is A-Rod, who retired in 2016 with 696 homers.

In last night's game, Pujols hit two home runs to give him 662 in his career. He is now in sole possession of fifth place on the all-time list.

Written By: nally on 09/19/20 at 11:19 pm

Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire has announced his retirement from the position, effective immediately today. Lloyd McClendon, a coach who has past managerial experience, will serve as interim manager for the rest of the season.

Written By: nally on 09/23/20 at 9:21 am

Dodgers win NL West division title for an 8th straight year! What's more, they've also clinched the top seed in the National League, which means they'll face whichever team wins the lower "wildcard" spot (currently the Brewers hold that spot).

Written By: nally on 09/24/20 at 11:49 pm

Dodgers become first team in MLB to win 40 games this year, taking two of three from the Oakland A's at Dodger Stadium. (The worst they can do now is 40-20, a .667 win percentage, which would be equivalent to a record of 108-54 in a full season; the best they can do is 43-17, which would be equivalent to 116 wins and 46 losses in a full season).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/25/20 at 3:14 pm

Tigers manager Ron Gardenhire has announced his retirement from the position, effective immediately today. Lloyd McClendon, a coach who has past managerial experience, will serve as interim manager for the rest of the season.

Just saw this - WOW, he's been with the Tigers quite a while.  Big change there.

Dodgers win NL West division title for an 8th straight year! What's more, they've also clinched the top seed in the National League, which means they'll face whichever team wins the lower "wildcard" spot (currently the Brewers hold that spot).

Dodgers become first team in MLB to win 40 games this year, taking two of three from the Oakland A's at Dodger Stadium. (The worst they can do now is 40-20, a .667 win percentage, which would be equivalent to a record of 108-54 in a full season; the best they can do is 43-17, which would be equivalent to 116 wins and 46 losses in a full season).

Congrats to the Dodgers!  O0

Written By: nally on 09/25/20 at 4:40 pm

Just saw this - WOW, he's been with the Tigers quite a while.  Big change there.

Congrats to the Dodgers!  O0

O0

Gardy was also the Twins manager for a lotta years.

Written By: nally on 09/25/20 at 5:25 pm

Toronto Blue Jays also clinched a postseason spot last nite, but they will either finish in 2nd place (giving them a seed between #4 and #6) or 3rd place (giving them a wildcard). This gives them their first postseason appearance since 2016, and their third appearance in the last 27 years. (They won the AL East in 2015 and the upper wildcard spot in '16.)

Written By: nally on 09/26/20 at 12:32 pm

Miami Marlins also get a postseason opportunity for the first time since winning it all in 2003. (Coincidentally, they finish out this season by playing the team they beat in that year's World Series, the Yankees.)

Written By: nally on 09/27/20 at 11:04 pm

Playoff spots have all been set! Phillies and Giants were both hoping to win their respective game today, but didn't (and if either team did, then that team would have gotten the 8th seed in the NL and faced the Dodgers in the Wildcard round).

Anyways, here's how it stacks up in the National League:

#1 Dodgers vs #8 Brewers
#4 Padres vs #5 Cardinals
(winners of above two serieses will meet in Globe Life Field for NLDS)

#2 Braves vs #7 Reds
#3 Cubs vs #6 Marlins
(winners of above two serieses will meet in Minute Maid Park for NLDS)

And for the American League:

#1 Rays vs #8 Blue Jays
#4 Indians vs #5 Yankees
(winners of these two serieses will meet in Petco Park for ALDS)

#2 Athletics vs #7 White Sox
#3 Twins vs #6 Astros
(winners of these two serieses will meet in Dodger Stadium for ALDS)

I should also note that in the Wildcard round, all teams with the higher rankings will host at their respective stadiums.

Written By: nally on 09/30/20 at 7:40 pm

In yesterday's four A.L. games, three were won by the visiting team. The Minnesota Twins seem to have forgotten how to win postseason games, it seems.

And today the Twins' postseason woes continue, as the Stros beat 'em again to advance to the ALDS. 8-P

Written By: nally on 09/30/20 at 11:56 pm

NL Wildcard Round Game Ones:
Marlins defeated Cubs 5-1 in Miami's first postseason game since winning the 2003 World Series.
Braves defeated Reds 1-0 in a 13-inning game that remained scoreless for 12 innings (a record for a postseason game?).
Cardinals defeated Padres 7-4 in San Diego's first postseason game since losing the 2006 NLDS...to St. Louie.
Dodgers are leading the Brewers 4-2 in the 7th.

And in the American League (aside from Houston making quick work of Minnesota):
Rays beat Jays to move on to ALDS.
Athletics beat Whitesox to even up that series.
Yankees are close to sweeping the Indians in Cleveland; if they hang on they will go to So-Cal to face the Rays in the ALDS next week.

Written By: nally on 10/01/20 at 10:05 pm

All of the American League Wildcard matches have been finished. Only one decider in that set required a deciding game today, namely White Sox at Athletics. Oakland won that one, giving them their first postseason series win since defeating the Twins in the 2006 ALDS. So this year's A.L. Division Series is set: Rays and Yankees will play their half in San Diego; Athletics and Astros will battle at Dodger Stadium.

Oh, and the Braves blanked the Reds again to win a postseason series for the first time since 2001. They will face either the Marlins or the Cubs in the NLDS.

Written By: nally on 10/03/20 at 12:08 pm

Marlins finished off the Cubs, shutting them out 2-zip. The Cubs' attempts to score at all were thwarted, either by a runner being nailed at the plate, or a batter flying out with two outs already. This means that the Marlins are still unbeaten in postseason serieses (they've never lost one) and will face the Braves in one half of next week's NLDS.

The other NLDS will consist of Padres vs Dodgers. This is because the Padres handed the Cardinals a goose-egg as well yesterday. Both teams had early opportunities to score, but couldn't cash in. This is the Padres' first time defeating the Cardinals in a postseason series, and their first time advancing in the playoffs since 1998 (when they defeated the Braves in the NLCS).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/03/20 at 8:19 pm

All of the American League Wildcard matches have been finished. Only one decider in that set required a deciding game today, namely White Sox at Athletics. Oakland won that one, giving them their first postseason series win since defeating the Twins in the 2006 ALDS. So this year's A.L. Division Series is set: Rays and Yankees will play their half in San Diego; Athletics and Astros will battle at Dodger Stadium.

Oh, and the Braves blanked the Reds again to win a postseason series for the first time since 2001. They will face either the Marlins or the Cubs in the NLDS.

Marlins finished off the Cubs, shutting them out 2-zip. The Cubs' attempts to score at all were thwarted, either by a runner being nailed at the plate, or a batter flying out with two outs already. This means that the Marlins are still unbeaten in postseason serieses (they've never lost one) and will face the Braves in one half of next week's NLDS.

The other NLDS will consist of Padres vs Dodgers. This is because the Padres handed the Cardinals a goose-egg as well yesterday. Both teams had early opportunities to score, but couldn't cash in. This is the Padres' first time defeating the Cardinals in a postseason series, and their first time advancing in the playoffs since 1998 (when they defeated the Braves in the NLCS).

Both the Cubs and White Sox fell flat in the first round - with only one win between them.  :(

No Chicago crosstown World Series this year.  *SIGH*

(At least those pesky Cardinals were sent packing, along with the dreaded Twinkies...)

My congrats to the eight teams that did move on, including the Dodgers!  :)

Written By: nally on 10/04/20 at 12:36 am

Both the Cubs and White Sox fell flat in the first round - with only one win between them.  :(

No Chicago crosstown World Series this year.  *SIGH*

Yep; guess it wasn't meant to be (at least not this year). :-\\ But I am happy that both teams ended their super-long WS droughts in the past 15 years.

(At least those pesky Cardinals were sent packing, along with the dreaded Twinkies...)

Yep - no 1987 WS rematch. You know what else I realized: of the 8 teams that qualify for the League Division Series this year, none of them are Central Division teams! :o Not only that, all the teams facing each other in the LDS are all pairs of division rivals!

My congrats to the eight teams that did move on, including the Dodgers!  :)

Thanks! I hope the Dodgers can prevail. During the regular season they won the head-to-head series with the Padres, who've had a good team themselves this year. Of course I root for LAD first and foremost.

In the other LDSes, I'm rooting for Miami, Oakland, and Tampa.

Written By: nally on 10/06/20 at 12:28 am

The American League Divisional Series has begun...and in both cases, the "visiting" team took the first game. (Both games were played at NL stadiums in southern California. In fact, each respective series will be played at those stadiums.)

Written By: nally on 10/07/20 at 1:13 am

Now each LDS has at least a game in the books. However, it is getting late so I will wait til tomorrow morning to post the scores. However I will mention that my team, the Dodgers, won its game. :)

Written By: nally on 10/07/20 at 10:23 am

In yesterday's games:

Braves beat Marlins to take the first game in that series.
Astros beat Athletics to go up two games to none. >:(
Rays beat Yankees to even up that series.
...and the Dodgers overcame a 1-0 deficit midway through the game to defeat the Padres 5-1 (they had been held hitless through the first five innings, scoring their first run on an error in the 5th inning).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/07/20 at 11:00 am

In yesterday's games:

Braves beat Marlins to take the first game in that series.
Astros beat Athletics to go up two games to none. >:(
Rays beat Yankees to even up that series.
...and the Dodgers overcame a 1-0 deficit midway through the game to defeat the Padres 5-1 (they had been held hitless through the first five innings, scoring their first run on an error in the 5th inning).

Thanks for the updates!  :)

Written By: nally on 10/08/20 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the updates!  :)

And here are the results of yesterday's games:

Braves blanked Marlins 2-zip to put 'em on the brink of elimination.
Athletics staved off elimination to defeat the Astros 9-7.
Rays took a 2-1 series lead against the Yankees, defeating them 8-4.
And the Dodgers almost lost a chance to give Kershaw a win; they entered the 9th inning up 6-3, but the relief pitchers had to labor to record the final out; the bases were loaded with the tying run at 3rd when Eric Hosmer grounded out to end the threat; Dodgers won 6-5 to go up two games to nada in their series.

Written By: nally on 10/08/20 at 5:31 pm

Braves blank Marlins by a touchdown; this means two things: (1) Braves advance to NLCS for the first time in 19 years, and (2) Marlins finally lose a postseason series. :-\\

Written By: nally on 10/09/20 at 10:30 am

The other NLDS was also completed via a sweep yesterday: Dodgers scored 12 runs, without hitting a homer, to the Padres' 3 runs. Both teams used several pitchers; it was a bullpen game, but this means that the Dodgers will advance to their 4th NLCS in 5 years (and 5th in the last 8 years) to face the Braves.

In ALDS play, Houston Astros finished off the Oakland A's, and the Yankees stayed alive against the Rays, forcing a decider in that series today. Whichever team wins today, I will root for that team in the ALCS because I don't want the Astros going to the World Series. (So this means I will bite the bullet and root for the Yankees if they win today.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/09/20 at 11:15 am

The other NLDS was also completed via a sweep yesterday: Dodgers scored 12 runs, without hitting a homer, to the Padres' 3 runs.

Braves blank Marlins by a touchdown; this means two things: (1) Braves advance to NLCS for the first time in 19 years, and (2) Marlins finally lose a postseason series. :-\\

Congrats Dodgers!  :)

C'mon Dodgers, take out the Braves...

Written By: nally on 10/09/20 at 11:09 pm

Rays defeat Yankees in the deciding game of the ALDS to deny the Evil Empire a pennant for an 11th straight year.

C'mon Rays, take out the Astros!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/09/20 at 11:36 pm

Rays defeat Yankees in the deciding game of the ALDS to deny the Evil Empire a pennant for an 11th straight year.

There's a surprise...

Written By: nally on 10/09/20 at 11:47 pm

There's a surprise...

I was hoping for Tampa to win, personally. And I want them to beat the Astros in the ALCS. (But if the Yankees had won I would actually be rooting for them because I don't want the Stros to get to the WS. Yeah, normally I've been rooting against the Yankees over the years, but this year I've been rooting against the Astros because earlier this year, in the offseason, their cheating scandal had unfolded. And since they punched their ticket to the ALCS yesterday, I decided I would root in the ALCS for whichever team won tonight, Rays or Yankees.) And don't forget that the Tampa Rays had the top seed in the American League. NYY had the 5th seed.

I think a Dodgers-Rays World Series would be interesting.

Written By: nally on 10/12/20 at 10:29 am

Rays take Game One of ALCS by a score of 2-1.

Written By: nally on 10/13/20 at 1:16 pm

Rays go up 2 games to none in the ALCS, while Dodgers are no longer unbeaten in the postseason (they dropped the NLCS opener) :(

Written By: nally on 10/14/20 at 12:28 am

Dodgers in a 2-games-to-none hole now >:( even though they made a valiant comeback effort in the ninth inning down five runs at the start of said inning. Too bad they left the tying run on third.

Rays up 3 games to none on the Astros! :D

Written By: nally on 10/14/20 at 11:23 pm

Dodgers make Game Five of the NLCS necessary on Friday!

They scored a whopping 11 runs in the 1st inning (capped by a grand slam from Max Muncy); this is a new record for most runs scored in one inning of a postseason game. After three innings, their run total stood at 15. That's all they needed to bury the Braves in a landslide.

And the Rays' attempt at an ALCS sweep is averted as the Houston Asstros stay alive for one more game, winning tonight (although the Rays got the tying run to 3rd base in the 9th inning).

Written By: nally on 10/16/20 at 10:30 am

Yesterday: not a good day in MLB.

Asstros won yet another game to cut the Rays' ALCS lead to 3-games-to-2, and the Dudgers got pummeled in the late innings by the Knaves to put them on the brink of elimination. Tonight it's do or die for LAD.

Written By: nally on 10/17/20 at 11:08 am

Dodgers stay alive for one more game, winning 7-3 and cutting their deficit in NLCS to 3-games-to-2.

Asstros also stay alive, by tying the ALCS at 3 games apiece. I sure hope they're not headed down the same route that the Redsox were 16 years ago (down 3-0 to the opposition, then coming back to win the series; that's the only time that happened in best-of-7 history).

Written By: nally on 10/18/20 at 11:49 am

Tampa Rays win the ALCS decider to advance to their second World Series in franchise history!!! :) :D

And the Dodgers stave off elimination in the NLCS once again, forcing a decider today.

This is the first time in 16 years that both LCSes have gone the distance.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/18/20 at 11:03 pm

Congrats to the Dodgers!  :D

Written By: nally on 10/19/20 at 12:35 am

Congrats to the Dodgers!  :D

Yep - they did it! They're headed back to the World Series... hopefully to win it this time.

Early on they fell behind, but solo home runs by Hernandez and Bellinger pulled them ahead. Betts was awesome in right field, denying yet another Atlanta homer.

Let's go Dodgers!!!

#bluewave

Written By: nally on 10/21/20 at 12:18 am

Dodgers win the opening game of the World Series, 8-3!

Kershaw went 6 innings and threw 78 pitches, allowing only one run, walking only one batter and striking out several. He could've stayed in for the 7th, but the bullpen started putting Rays batters on...and only gave up a pair of runs. But the Dodgers' bats did their part, and so did the defense.

Written By: nally on 10/21/20 at 10:51 pm

Tampa Rays strike back in Game Two. >:(

This means Game Five will be necessary Sunday night.

Written By: nally on 10/24/20 at 12:09 am

Dodgers take a 2-games-to-1 lead in the World Series! (Last time they had that lead after 3 WS games was 1988 - the last time they went on to win it all!)

In tonight's game, they got to Tampa starter Charlie Moron early. (Morton had been unbeaten this postseason, entering this game. But not anymore!) LAD starter Walker Buehler went 6 strong innings, and three relievers took care of the rest. (However, when the Rays were down to their final out, Arozarena hit a solo homer to cut the Dodgers' lead from 6-1 to 6-2, but L.A. prevailed.)

Written By: nally on 10/25/20 at 12:29 pm

Seems like no one is updating the baseball thread except me. :-\\

Anyways, Dodgers had a chance to go up 3 games to 1 in the World Series...but they lost it in the 9th inning with 2 out. >:(

Written By: nally on 10/25/20 at 10:44 pm

Dodgers win Game Five to go up 3 games to 2 on the Tampa Rays!!

One more win, guys! We can do it on Tuesday night!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/27/20 at 10:53 pm

The Dodgers are 2020 World Champions!  Congratulations Dodgers!!!    :)

Written By: nally on 10/28/20 at 1:18 am

The Dodgers are 2020 World Champions!  Congratulations Dodgers!!!    :)

Yes!!! CONGRATS TO THE L.A. DODGERS!! 8) :) O0

They fell behind early as Randy Arozarena struck again in the 1st inning with a solo homer, but Tampa never scored again after that. Of course, Rays starter Blake Snell was pitching very well over 5 1/3 innings, allowing only two hits, until manager Kevin Cash lifted him for a reliever... who promptly erased the shutout when Austin Barnes (the last batter that Snell faced) scored on a wild pitch. LAD would eventually score 3 total runs... and Julio Urias completed a 7-out save to give the Dodgers their first World Series championship in 32 years!

Written By: nally on 10/29/20 at 10:21 am

Also in Tuesday night's game, Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner was removed in the 8th inning after apparently testing positive for Covid. :o Edwin Rios replaced him defensively. Still, he chose to celebrate on the field with his team after they won it all (but no one touched him, nor did he make contact with anybody). I just hope he didn't infect anyone else on the team.

Check for new replies or respond here...