inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 5 Worst Things about SuperBowl Sunday

Written By: Dude111 on 02/03/22 at 12:16 am

1. The Pregame Coverage

2. The time it takes to actually kick the ball off once the game is on

3. The Halftime Show

4. The Length of Halftime

5. Non Football Fans pretending to be interested in Football

The commercials are also bad... Not at all entertaining watching the superbowl now... Unless you dont mind being plastered with spam ad galore!!

Subject: Re: The 5 Worst Things about SuperBowl Sunday

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/22 at 6:32 am

1. The Pregame Coverage

2. The time it takes to actually kick the ball off once the game is on

3. The Halftime Show

4. The Length of Halftime

5. Non Football Fans pretending to be interested in Football

The commercials are also bad... Not at all entertaining watching the superbowl now... Unless you dont mind being plastered with spam ad galore!!
6. Not being able to watch it live?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/03/22 at 9:26 am

True. It has gotten so big it has basically consumed itself.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/03/22 at 10:25 am

7. The team you support never partakes in this annual championship game of the National Football League?

Subject: The 5 Worst Things about SuperBowl Sunday

Written By: Dude111 on 02/03/22 at 7:08 pm

Ah man!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/07/22 at 5:40 pm

7. The team you support never partakes in this annual championship game of the National Football League?

And conversely,

8. The team you despise always makes their way into the game (thankfully, not the case this year!)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/22 at 6:08 pm

And conversely,

8. The team you despise always makes their way into the game (thankfully, not the case this year!)

9. My team laid a huge egg in the AFC Championship game so they're not in the Super Bowl.  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/22 at 6:21 pm

To me the 5 worst things are:

1. Football

2. People talk about nothing but Football

3. Everything is about Football

4. All the hype about Football.

5. Did I mention Football?

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

People assume because I am not a fan, that I don't understand it. One time I was outvoted and was "forced" to watch a game. When something happened on the field, I said, "That was a touchback." The people I was with told me I was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about. But the announcer said it was a touchback. Everyone looked at me and asked how I knew that. I told them just because I hate football doesn't mean that I don't know the rules and how it is played.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/07/22 at 9:55 pm

And conversely,

9. My team laid a huge egg in the AFC Championship game so they're not in the Super Bowl.  :-NFC teams this year.  Sorry about your team.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/07/22 at 10:18 pm

To me the 5 worst things are:

1. Football

2. People talk about nothing but Football

3. Everything is about Football

4. All the hype about Football.

5. Did I mention Football?

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

People assume because I am not a fan, that I don't understand it. One time I was outvoted and was "forced" to watch a game. When something happened on the field, I said, "That was a touchback." The people I was with told me I was wrong and I didn't know what I was talking about. But the announcer said it was a touchback. Everyone looked at me and asked how I knew that. I told them just because I hate football doesn't mean that I don't know the rules and how it is played.

Cat

It's OK - you don't have to like football.  I think the reason people assume you don't know the game is there are so many people who don't understand football, who tend to hate the game.  It's a false association in your case.

For myself, I like football a lot - to the point where I can really enjoy watching two teams when I don't have a preference.  (In fact I often find that less aggravating than watching a team I love get beat up.)  I understand football well enough - I'd put together a "Football 101" powerpoint presentation a few years back (I presented it to a group of friends).  To me, football is fun!

Written By: nally on 02/07/22 at 11:08 pm

It's OK - you don't have to like football.  I think the reason people assume you don't know the game is there are so many people who don't understand football, who tend to hate the game.  It's a false association in your case.

Yeah, this makes sense. I'm not really a football fan either (I just never got into it, that's all). Sure, the Rams are in it this time - and they're now a local team for me - but I've just never felt a burning desire to watch it. My mom can even relate. My dad, on the other hand, says he loved watching football when he was a kid. That's fine. We all have our own interests/preferences.

For myself, I like football a lot - to the point where I can really enjoy watching two teams when I don't have a preference.  (In fact I often find that less aggravating than watching a team I love get beat up.)  I understand football well enough - I'd put together a "Football 101" powerpoint presentation a few years back (I presented it to a group of friends).  To me, football is fun!

Good for you. O0 Similarly, there are times when I've watched the World Series when the Dodgers haven't gotten in and haven't really had a preference as to which team to favor. (For example, in 2008 when the Rays got in for the first time, I thought it would be nice for them to win, but I was fine with the Phillies too; in fact, they only had one other title in their franchise history; and for them to win it in '08 was a well-deserved accomplishment; they had several good players on the team that year.) Football on the other hand, like I said, doesn't interest me, but I would still like to have seen the powerpoint presentation just for the heck of it. Sure, I'd learn about the game and how it's played...but if I were to get quizzed on it, I'd probably flunk (but I wouldn't care).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/09/22 at 11:02 pm

...(For example, in 2008 when the Rays got in for the first time, I thought it would be nice for them to win, but I was fine with the Phillies too; in fact, they only had one other title in their franchise history; and for them to win it in '08 was a well-deserved accomplishment; they had several good players on the team that year.)...

Incidentally, we had a very strong preference for the Phillies in '08, as my husband is a life-long Phillies fan.  No disrespect to the Tampa Rays.

...Football on the other hand, like I said, doesn't interest me, but I would still like to have seen the powerpoint presentation just for the heck of it...

Sorry I haven't "packaged up" and posted the powerpoint on the web anywhere.  Among other things, I used some videoclips I copied from YouTube so that could get me in trouble if I posted it; beyond that, logistically I don't have a good idea where I'd stick something like that.

It seems there's some existing stuff available if you Google "Football 101", but I didn't land on anything specific that struck me    :-\\

Written By: nally on 02/10/22 at 12:04 am

Incidentally, we had a very strong preference for the Phillies in '08, as my husband is a life-long Phillies fan.  No disrespect to the Tampa Rays.

Well that's great. O0 (As for the Rays, they made their second appearance in '20, but of course I pulled for the Dodgers because they're my lifelong favourite team.)

Sorry I haven't "packaged up" and posted the powerpoint on the web anywhere.  Among other things, I used some videoclips I copied from YouTube so that could get me in trouble if I posted it; beyond that, logistically I don't have a good idea where I'd stick something like that.

It seems there's some existing stuff available if you Google "Football 101", but I didn't land on anything specific that struck me    :-\\

Hey that's quite all right. I'm sure I could google it and find something noteworthy.

Written By: nally on 02/13/22 at 7:53 pm

Anyhoo, I’m not watching the game, but I did see an update on Facebook (from a friend) that the Rams were leading (for the moment).

Subject: SuperBowl LVI

Written By: nally on 02/13/22 at 9:06 pm

It's over. Rams win, 23 to 20!

Subject: Re: SuperBowl LVI

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/13/22 at 9:14 pm

The game was epic!  What a game!

Congratulations to the L.A. Rams  :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/14/22 at 1:10 am

The worst thing about the Super Bowl is that there can only be one winner. Congratulations, Rams, and thanks Bengals on a great season.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/14/22 at 10:01 am

The worst thing about the Super Bowl is that there can only be one winner. Congratulations, Rams, and thanks Bengals on a great season.

O0 Well said!

Written By: nally on 02/14/22 at 10:47 pm

O0 Well said!

The same goes for any major sport championship (game or series).

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/16/22 at 10:50 am

Agreed.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/16/22 at 11:23 am

O0 Well said!

Agreed.

I must admit, I don't get this. Isn't the point of a sporting event like football to have a winner and, yes, a loser? What is the point if there were only winners? There would be no game. I can only assume it means that people appreciate the effort put in by both sides.  That I can understand, but wishing there were only winners smacks of the unfortunate "everybody gets a trophy" model that began in the 90s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/16/22 at 12:23 pm

I must admit, I don't get this. Isn't the point of a sporting event like football to have a winner and, yes, a loser? What is the point if there were only winners? There would be no game. I can only assume it means that people appreciate the effort put in by both sides.  That I can understand, but wishing there were only winners smacks of the unfortunate "everybody gets a trophy" model that began in the 90s.

O0 I agree with this.  My sentiment applies only to this year, not others.  I wish the Bengals could've been the "Cinderella Story" we hoped for this year, so I guess I preferred them - slightly.  I have no problem with the Rams winning.  I guess I just hoped the Bengals wouldn't lose.

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/27/22 at 10:58 am

O0 I agree with this.  My sentiment applies only to this year, not others.  I wish the Bengals could've been the "Cinderella Story" we hoped for this year, so I guess I preferred them - slightly.  I have no problem with the Rams winning.  I guess I just hoped the Bengals wouldn't lose.

The Bengals were playing not to lose. That's why they lost. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...