inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2022 Major League Baseball season

Written By: nally on 03/17/22 at 11:02 pm

Yes, Major League Baseball is back! With the lockout finally ending last week, spring training games started (for some teams) today.

And the regular season will begin on Thursday April 7 (for most teams). That said, the games that were originally slated to be played from March 31st through April 3rd will be made up from October 3rd through October 5th, with doubleheaders in some cases; and games originally slated to be played from April 4th through 6th will be made up at various days of the season, thus preserving the 162-game schedule. (So, Closing Day will be on Wednesday October 5th instead of Sunday October 2nd.)

Pitchers are not going to bat anymore, as the DH has been implemented universally. So, games in NL stadiums will get the DH, which can be helpful in some cases. (At least the teams don't have to worry about hitting for their pitcher anymore and exhausting a bench player.)

The postseason will also be expanded, with six teams qualifying from each division. This might mean that the World Series will inevitably be played in November.

So...predictions, anyone?

Subject: Re: 2022 Major League Baseball season

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/18/22 at 9:43 pm

Yes, Major League Baseball is back! With the lockout finally ending last week, spring training games started (for some teams) today.

And the regular season will begin on Thursday April 7 (for most teams). That said, the games that were originally slated to be played from March 31st through April 3rd will be made up from October 3rd through October 5th, with doubleheaders in some cases; and games originally slated to be played from April 4th through 6th will be made up at various days of the season, thus preserving the 162-game schedule. (So, Closing Day will be on Wednesday October 5th instead of Sunday October 2nd.)

Pitchers are not going to bat anymore, as the DH has been implemented universally. So, games in NL stadiums will get the DH, which can be helpful in some cases. (At least the teams don't have to worry about hitting for their pitcher anymore and exhausting a bench player.)

The postseason will also be expanded, with six teams qualifying from each division. This might mean that the World Series will inevitably be played in November.

So...predictions, anyone?

O0 No predictions here - just glad baseball is back!  I'm not 100% sold on universal DH as it has far reaching implications.  Nonetheless, I'll give it a try.

Written By: nally on 03/19/22 at 7:23 pm

O0 No predictions here - just glad baseball is back!  I'm not 100% sold on universal DH as it has far reaching implications.  Nonetheless, I'll give it a try.

Well, the universal DH was implemented two years ago, during the shortened season, due in part to Covid. It didn't bother me at all. I think it helped move things along, as well as other modifications that were made (for that season only).

At least doubleheader games will be 9 innings (for regulation) again. (That's another thing: this year, the Dodgers are going to play two doubleheaders at Dodger Stadium with the Arizona Diamondbacks. This is from the games that were originally scheduled for early April, but were postponed via the lockout. This will be the Dodgers' first time playing a home doubleheader since 1999, when an April game with the Rockies was rained out and made up in July.)

Written By: nally on 03/19/22 at 7:25 pm

Oh...and after the Dodgers signed Freddie Freeman to a multi-year deal earlier this week, the Braves (Freddie's ex-team) signed free agent Kenly Jansen, who spent 12 seasons with the Dodgers (and was their closer for most of that span). That's kindof a bummer, since Kenly was a great closer for the most part (and was a fan favourite)...so the Dodgers are gonna need a new ace reliever for the first time since 2013.

Written By: nally on 03/21/22 at 11:38 pm

Oh...and after the Dodgers signed Freddie Freeman to a multi-year deal earlier this week, the Braves (Freddie's ex-team) signed free agent Kenly Jansen, who spent 12 seasons with the Dodgers (and was their closer for most of that span). That's kindof a bummer, since Kenly was a great closer for the most part (and was a fan favourite)...so the Dodgers are gonna need a new ace reliever for the first time since 2013.

Apparently, Kenley was a fan of the Atlanta Braves growing up in Curacao, due in part to the fact that Andruw Jones, also a native of Curacao, played for said team during a good part of Kenley's childhood. So him signing with the Braves does sorta make sense in that regard.

Written By: nally on 03/27/22 at 9:51 pm

So...with shortened spring training almost half over, the Dodgers seem to have more ties than wins or losses. Today I think they lost another game...to the Whitesox (whom they will see in June for interleague play, at Guaranteed Rates Field).

Written By: nally on 03/31/22 at 10:44 pm

As we all know, today was supposed to be the opening day for the regular season, but it was pushed back a week due to the lockout. So, spring training is now in its final week.

In today's game involving the Dodgers and Rangers, Corey Seager did plenty of damage against his former team! :o (At least the Rangers aren't scheduled to face the Dodgers this year.)

Written By: nally on 04/04/22 at 10:45 pm

Spring training is almost done. This week we bring on the regular season! :) :D

Written By: nally on 04/07/22 at 8:07 pm

Regular season begins today for some teams. The others start tomorrow! (My team, the Dodgers, is among the teams that start tomorrow. They will kick off the season in Denver against the Rockies.)

Written By: nally on 04/08/22 at 12:48 am

Padres’ Yu Darvish had a no-hitter against the Diamondbacks through 6 innings, but the Arizonas came back to win it in the 9th…with no outs.

Written By: nally on 04/08/22 at 7:43 pm

Dodgers win their first game of 2022, defeating the Rockies 5-3 in Denver. Craig Kimbrel picks up his first save as a member of the Dodgers.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/08/22 at 8:11 pm

Dodgers win their first game of 2022, defeating the Rockies 5-3 in Denver. Craig Kimbrel picks up his first save as a member of the Dodgers.

Good for the Dodgers.  Best wishes to Kimbrel - he was lights out as Cubs closer but struggled on the White Sox as set-up man.  Hopefully a return to the closer ranks is all he needs.

The White Sox blew their early 3-0 lead to lose 5-4 in Detroit on a play that required review to overturn.  Late pitching woes - although our starter Giolito performed well.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 04/09/22 at 12:14 am

Good for the Dodgers.  Best wishes to Kimbrel - he was lights out as Cubs closer but struggled on the White Sox as set-up man.  Hopefully a return to the closer ranks is all he needs.

The White Sox blew their early 3-0 lead to lose 5-4 in Detroit on a play that required review to overturn.  Late pitching woes - although our starter Giolito performed well.  :-\\

And the guy who was traded from LAD to CHW to get Kimbrel — A.J. Pollock — was the one who committed the play that got overturned.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/22 at 10:45 am

And the guy who was traded from LAD to CHW to get Kimbrel — A.J. Pollock — was the one who committed the play that got overturned.

I will say, watching A.J. Pollock at bat - my first impressions were quite good!

Written By: nally on 04/09/22 at 11:06 am

I will say, watching A.J. Pollock at bat - my first impressions were quite good!

Yeah, he was a good hitter, both with Arizona and the Dodgers.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/09/22 at 4:52 pm

I'm happy to report a good baseball day for Chicago teams.  The White Sox held on to beat Detroit today, 5-2.  Nice outing for starter Dylan Cease.  White Sox now 1-1.  Meanwhile the Cubs pounded the dreaded Brewers 9-0.  Cubs now 2-0.  Yay for both teams!  :)

Written By: nally on 04/10/22 at 12:12 am

Not so great news for my team though. We lost by a run. (But hey, there's plenty of season left.) Angels, however, finally won a game, by blanking the Houston Asterisks 2-zip!

So the NL West division is the only division that has no unbeaten teams and no winless teams. Each team in that division is either 2-1, 1-1, or 1-2.

Written By: MyAdidas on 04/10/22 at 6:16 pm

The Pirates finally won!

Written By: nally on 04/10/22 at 9:20 pm

The Pirates finally won!

That's good.

I wish my beloved LAD team could have taken the rubber match today, but they didn't. Starting pitcher Julio Urias, who was really good for the team last year, just wasn't himself today. :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/22 at 9:41 pm

The Pirates finally won!

Good for them!

...I wish my beloved LAD team could have taken the rubber match today, but they didn't. Starting pitcher Julio Urias, who was really good for the team last year, just wasn't himself today. :-\\

Sorry, that's disappointing for Dodgers fans.

Today was a mixed bag for my Chicago teams.  The White Sox turned it on and prevailed in their game, 10-1.  Unfortunately the Cubs couldn't sweep the Brewers; they lost today 5-4.  Both teams now stand at 2-1.  I'll take it...

Written By: nally on 04/10/22 at 9:44 pm

Sorry, that's disappointing for Dodgers fans.

You got that right. It's especially disappointing because it gives the team a losing record (but it's still early in the season, so they can certainly improve). Now they head to the state of Minnesota for a 1965 World Series rematch; they will play the Twinkies for a pair of games on Tuesday and Wednesday. Currently LAD has a six-game winning streak against the Twins dating back to 2014.

Today was a mixed bag for my Chicago teams.  The White Sox turned it on and prevailed in their game, 10-1.  Unfortunately the Cubs couldn't sweep the Brewers; they lost today 5-4.  Both teams now stand at 2-1.  I'll take it...

Oh well...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/10/22 at 10:01 pm

You got that right. It's especially disappointing because it gives the team a losing record (but it's still early in the season, so they can certainly improve). Now they head to the state of Minnesota for a 1965 World Series rematch; they will play the Twinkies for a pair of games on Tuesday and Wednesday. Currently LAD has a six-game winning streak against the Twins dating back to 2014.

GO Dodgers!  Beat those Twinkies!!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/11/22 at 9:17 pm

WOW - Just watched parts of the Mets-Phillies game @Philly this evening.  After a tough first inning Phillies were down 3-0 (Ranger Suarez pitching); in the 7th the Mets tacked on another run (Nick Nelson) and it was 4-0 Mets going into the 8th.  But the Phillies had a terrific rally in the bottom of the 8th, scoring 5 runs.  Finally Philly's closer Brad Hand took care of business and the Phillies hung on to win, 5-4.  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/12/22 at 8:03 pm

My Chicago White Sox had their home opener today.  I'm happy to report that they fended off a 9th inning onslaught and hung on to win 3-2.  Also, my Chicago Cubs beat Pittsburgh 2-1.  Yay for both!  :D

Written By: nally on 04/12/22 at 8:15 pm

GO Dodgers!  Beat those Twinkies!!!

So far it ain't looking too good...but I sure hope things change.

Written By: nally on 04/12/22 at 10:32 pm

So far it ain't looking too good...but I sure hope things change.

In the 8th inning it started to get interesting!! :D Dodgers scored half a dozen runs to go up 7-1. Now there’s a rain delay.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/13/22 at 12:17 am

In the 8th inning it started to get interesting!! :D Dodgers scored half a dozen runs to go up 7-1. Now there’s a rain delay.

It appears the Dodgers won O0

Written By: nally on 04/13/22 at 8:18 pm

It appears the Dodgers won O0

They did!!

And they blanked those Twinkies by a touchdown today! (IOW, they won 7-0.) Kershaw was perfect for 7 innings, but left the game in favor of a reliever, who allowed a base hit in the 8th, but nothing to show for it (thankfully).

So the Dodgers now have an 8-game win streak against the Twins. (The teams will face off at Dodger Stadium in August for a pair of games.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/13/22 at 10:24 pm

Mixed bag again for Chicago teams today.  My White Sox won in handy fashion today, 6-4.  But my Cubbies got roughed up today by the Pirates, 6-2.

(Incidentally, the White Sox season opening record 4-1 was last matched in 2005 - a very good year!  :))

Written By: nally on 04/13/22 at 10:33 pm

(Incidentally, the White Sox season opening record 4-1 was last matched in 2005 - a very good year!  :))

Yeah! That's when they last won it all...for the first time since WWI.

That wasn't such a great year for my team, however.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/14/22 at 4:23 pm

No sweep for the White Sox in their game against the Mariners - Sox lost today 5-1.  It was a goofy crazy day because there were high winds wreaking havoc on the batted baseballs (I bet there's some kooky highlights).  But the Mariners' pitching was top-flight today, better than the Sox.  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/14/22 at 11:36 pm

No sweep for the White Sox in their game against the Mariners - Sox lost today 5-1.  It was a goofy crazy day because there were high winds wreaking havoc on the batted baseballs (I bet there's some kooky highlights).  But the Mariners' pitching was top-flight today, better than the Sox.  :-\\

But the Cubbies handled the Rockies today in Colorado, winning 5-2.  WTG Cubbies!  :)

Written By: nally on 04/14/22 at 11:57 pm

Tonight was the Dodgers' home opener. Walker Buehler will be denied the W because one of his successors, David Price, gave up the tying run. Right now the Dudgers are trying to break the tie.

Written By: nally on 04/14/22 at 11:59 pm

Update: it's now 7-3 LAD in the 8th!! :) :D

Written By: nally on 04/15/22 at 8:18 pm

Update: it's now 7-3 LAD in the 8th!! :) :D

They went on to win 9-3. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/15/22 at 11:33 pm

They went on to win 9-3. :)

O0 Nice going, Dodgers!

On the Chicago teams front, good news for the Sox, they squeaked by the Rays today 3-2.  But the Cubs blew their early 3-0 lead to lose 6-5.

Written By: nally on 04/16/22 at 11:10 am

O0 Nice going, Dodgers!

They hung on to win last night’s game as well, 3-1. That gives the team 4 straight wins.

On the Chicago teams front, good news for the Sox, they squeaked by the Rays today 3-2.  But the Cubs blew their early 3-0 lead to lose 6-5.

Oh well, another mixed bag.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/16/22 at 8:36 pm

Oh well, another mixed bag.

O0

It ain't over, but looks like deja vu all over again, unless the Cubs make a late game comeback.  Anyway, kudos to the Sox...

Written By: nally on 04/17/22 at 10:54 am

O0

It ain't over, but looks like deja vu all over again, unless the Cubs make a late game comeback.  Anyway, kudos to the Sox...

The Cubs didn’t come back. :-\\

But the Dodgers made it 5 in a row with a win over Cincy. Julio Urias bounced back from his rough outing in Denver. Today they will go for a sweep of the Reds.

Written By: nally on 04/17/22 at 11:53 pm

Dodgers completed the four-game sweep of the Reds!! :) :D 8)

They scored a touchdown in the 4th inning (translation: they scored 7 runs). Final score was 9-1.

Written By: nally on 04/19/22 at 11:37 pm

Yesterday (Monday) Dodgers did very well in their game against the Atlanta Knaves Braves. For starters, Freddy Freeman homered against his former team. LAD went on to win 7-4.

Tonight, however, it's a totally different story. :-[

Written By: nally on 04/20/22 at 10:36 pm

After losing 3-1 last night to the Bravos, Dodgers turned things around this afternoon and won their game 5-1.

LAD now has the best record in MLB, with 9 wins and 3 losses. (I know, it's early in the season.)
That puts them on pace for a record opposite that of the '62 Mets. :D

The Cincinnati Deads Reds are dead last at 2 wins and 11 losses. :(

Written By: nally on 04/23/22 at 2:53 pm

Congratulations to Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers for achieving his 3,000th career hit!!

He was denied the opportunity to reach the milestone last night, due to inclement weather in the Motor City.

Written By: nally on 04/23/22 at 5:33 pm

Congratulations to Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers for achieving his 3,000th career hit!!

He was denied the opportunity to reach the milestone last night, due to inclement weather in the Motor City.

The Tigers went on to beat the Rockies, 13-0, by the way. (That’s more like a football score - Lions and Broncos, lol!)

Written By: nally on 04/23/22 at 5:36 pm

Another football-esque score occurred today: Cubs 21, Pirates goose-egg! (Not Bears and Steelers, lol.)

I know our friend A.G. is probably glad about that.

Written By: nally on 04/24/22 at 6:45 pm

Dodgers bounced back from an extra-innings loss last night with a 10-2 win today to take the series in San Diego.

Written By: nally on 04/26/22 at 12:22 am

L.A. Dodgers pitcher Walker Buehler has achieved the first complete game shutout of the '22 season. He went all the way in keeping the Arizona D'backs off the board in a 4-0 shutout in Chase Field. This gives LAD their 12th win of the season. O0

Written By: nally on 04/26/22 at 8:35 pm

I might also want to mention that the Dodgers currently have the best record in MLB heading into play today, at 12-4! Giants are hot on the Dodgers' tail, at half a game behind. :o

Written By: nally on 04/26/22 at 11:59 pm

I might also want to mention that the Dodgers currently have the best record in MLB heading into play today, at 12-4! Giants are hot on the Dodgers' tail, at half a game behind. :o

Bad news, this might be about to change :-[

Written By: nally on 04/29/22 at 11:34 pm

Trevor Bauer will not be pitching at all during this year or next. He has been suspended for two whole seasons, effective right now!! :o

He hasn't pitched since last July, when he was placed on "administrative leave" due to assault charges against him. He'd been signed by the Dodgers prior to the start of the 2021 season.

So, if he ever pitches again, it'll likely be sometime in May 2024 at the absolute earliest.

Written By: nally on 04/30/22 at 12:00 am

Dodgers are now 3-0 in interleague play this year, so far. They have won the opener from the Tigers 5-1 at Dodger Stadium!

Written By: nally on 04/30/22 at 11:46 am

In yesterday’s action, the New York Mets no-hit the Philadelphia Phillies. It was the second no-no in franchise history (the only other one came a decade ago, courtesy of Johan Santana). This one was a combined affair, with five total pitchers involved, throwing 156 total pitches.

Written By: nally on 04/30/22 at 10:22 pm

Clayton Kershaw has broken the records for most strikeouts by a pitcher in a Dodgers uniform!!
Tonight he achieved #2,697, breaking the record set by the late Don Sutton. (Sutton, however, pitched for more than just the Dodgers. During his time as a member of the Dodgers, he achieved 2,696.)

Game's not over, however.

Written By: nally on 04/30/22 at 10:57 pm

And uhm, by the way, the Angels (who were in first place in the AL West entering today) laid a goose-egg in south Chicago, at the hands of the White Sox, who had been struggling as of late...but I think A.G. is glad about the Sox winning that game!

Written By: nally on 05/01/22 at 11:04 pm

Clayton Kershaw has broken the records for most strikeouts by a pitcher in a Dodgers uniform!!
Tonight he achieved #2,697, breaking the record set by the late Don Sutton. (Sutton, however, pitched for more than just the Dodgers. During his time as a member of the Dodgers, he achieved 2,696.)

Game's not over, however.

Dodgers ended up losing last nite, btw. :-\\

But they won their game today, to take the series against the Tigers! :)

Written By: nally on 05/02/22 at 11:05 pm

Mets designate veteran infielder Robinson Cano for assignment - who'da thunk it?

Written By: nally on 05/04/22 at 11:28 pm

Looks like the Whitesox took both games at Wrigley Field in this year's Windy City Series...

Written By: nally on 05/05/22 at 9:22 pm

I'm glad that the Dodgers swept the pair of games against the Giants the last couple nights. O0

Dodgers are off today, as they prepare for a weekend series against the Cubbies in Wrigley Field.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/06/22 at 10:22 am

Looks like the Whitesox took both games at Wrigley Field in this year's Windy City Series...

Indeed.  Unfortunately, both Chicagoland teams seemed to tank around when we left town for Kansas - both now have a hole to dig out from.  :-\\

The White Sox will have quite the challenge in front of them with Boston on deck...

(I just noticed that Cubs-Dodgers game 1 is rain postponed.  It is rainy here today.)

Written By: nally on 05/06/22 at 7:50 pm

(I just noticed that Dodgers-Cubs game 1 is rain postponed.  It is rainy here today.)

Yep - that means a doubleheader tomorrow. :-\\ Praying that the weather cooperates.

Written By: nally on 05/07/22 at 3:19 pm

Yep - that means a doubleheader tomorrow. :-\\ Praying that the weather cooperates.

And the weather in Chicagoland cooperated today; my team blanked the Cubbies by a touchdown. (Yay me! Sorry A.G.)
Kershaw kept the Cubs off the board, as did his successors.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/07/22 at 7:35 pm

And the weather in Chicagoland cooperated today; my team blanked the Cubbies by a touchdown. (Yay me! Sorry A.G.)
Kershaw kept the Cubs off the board, as did his successors.

Cubs not looking good for game #2 so far (fell behind Dodgers 4-1 in 2nd).  :-\\

Meanwhile, the White Sox took the first two from Boston.  Today's game was quite the thriller, as the White Sox managed 1 in the 9th and 2 more in the 10th to pull out a win, 3 - 1 (fighting off a 9th inning Boston threat).  This 5 game winning streak brings them back to .500 - much needed.  Now the WSox have to chase the hated Twinkies...

Written By: nally on 05/07/22 at 10:59 pm

Cubs not looking good for game #2 so far (fell behind Dodgers 4-1 in 2nd).  :-\\

Yep; even though CHC scored first, LAD answered right back in the 2nd inning after receiving several walks. They tacked on a pair in the 9th courtesy of Mookie Bettes hitting it out. Craig Kimbrel slammed the door on one of his former teams (getting ex-Braves/Cubs teammate Jason Heyward to fly out to end it), and my team swept the doubleheader. (One other note: Kimbrel and Heyward were teammates on the Braves in the early 2010s when they each first came up to the majors, and they were later reunited as members of the Cubs. Now they've faced each other.)

Written By: nally on 05/07/22 at 11:00 pm

Meanwhile, the White Sox took the first two from Boston.  Today's game was quite the thriller, as the White Sox managed 1 in the 9th and 2 more in the 10th to pull out a win, 3 - 1 (fighting off a 9th inning Boston threat).  This 5 game winning streak brings them back to .500 - much needed.  Now the WSox have to chase the hated Twinkies...

Yep, they've taken both games of the "Battle Of The Soxes" so far.

Written By: nally on 05/08/22 at 10:19 pm

Yep; even though CHC scored first, LAD answered right back in the 2nd inning after receiving several walks. They tacked on a pair in the 9th courtesy of Mookie Bettes hitting it out. Craig Kimbrel slammed the door on one of his former teams (getting ex-Braves/Cubs teammate Jason Heyward to fly out to end it), and my team swept the doubleheader. (One other note: Kimbrel and Heyward were teammates on the Braves in the early 2010s when they each first came up to the majors, and they were later reunited as members of the Cubs. Now they've faced each other.)

Dodgers sweep Cubbies at Wrigley.

Written By: nally on 05/10/22 at 7:59 pm

Cubs were back on the winning track yesterday, blanking the Padres 6-0 in San Diego. That’s good for the Dodgers, who didn’t do so well in Pittsburgh.

Written By: nally on 05/11/22 at 11:57 pm

Forgot to mention yesterday (Tuesday) that an Angels rookie pitcher named Reid Detmers no-hit the Tampa Ray Bays at Angel Stadium yesterday, with LAA winning 12-zip! O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/12/22 at 7:58 am

The Cubs held on last night to take the rubber game vs. the Padres, 7 - 5.  :)

Yesterday's  White Sox game was postponed due to Covid  :o  The Covid was found among the visiting Cleveland team, so the Sox may be able to proceed with their series against the Yankees.

Written By: nally on 05/12/22 at 8:04 pm

The Cubs held on last night to take the rubber game vs. the Padres, 7 - 5.

I’m glad about that, because that keeps the Padres from gaining on the Dudgers, who lost in Pittsburgh again (yesterday).

Yesterday's  White Sox game was postponed due to Covid  :o  The Covid was found among the visiting Cleveland team, so the Sox may be able to proceed with their series against the Yankees.

Too bad about that. :-\\
I just happened to see part of the NYY-CWS game; Sox were taking the lead.

Written By: nally on 05/13/22 at 9:22 am

I just happened to see part of the NYY-CWS game; Sox were taking the lead.

But the Evil Empire struck back and won it.

Written By: nally on 05/14/22 at 1:14 am

Dodgers are playing below par again. :\'(

It's obviously not a good-luck Friday the 13th for them. Especially when they received the announcement earlier today that Kershaw would be placed on the Injury List.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/14/22 at 8:33 am

Dodgers are playing below par again. :\'(

It's obviously not a good-luck Friday the 13th for them. Especially when they received the announcement earlier today that Kershaw would be placed on the Injury List.

Sorry to hear about Kershaw  :(

But the Evil Empire struck back and won it.

The Evil Empire was at it again yesterday  :-[

Written By: nally on 05/14/22 at 11:26 am

Sorry to hear about Kershaw  :(

The Evil Empire was at it again yesterday  :-[

I saw. :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/14/22 at 9:57 pm

WOW!  The White Sox pulled one off today in dramatic fashion, winning 3-2 on a walk-off base hit!  :D  Cubbies still at it (tied) at the moment...

Written By: nally on 05/15/22 at 12:59 pm

WOW!  The White Sox pulled one off today in dramatic fashion, winning 3-2 on a walk-off base hit!  :D  Cubbies still at it (tied) at the moment...

Glad the CWS won their game. Next month my team will be facing them in Chi-town. I just hope that my team wins some more games before then.

Written By: nally on 05/15/22 at 3:31 pm

If in this series, the Dodgers get swept,
That's one thing that I'll find hard to accept.
A winless homestand for the team is bad.
It would make all the fans super sad.

Written By: nally on 05/15/22 at 10:24 pm

Good news, the Dodgers actually won their game today! :) :D

They were down 4-3 with two outs in the 9th, with Cody Belinger representing the final out...but he got himself a triple; the next batter was walked; then Gavin Lux stepped to the plate and knocked in both runners, thereby giving LAD a walkoff win! O0

I am so glad that my team was able to avert a four-game sweep on their own field.

Written By: nally on 05/15/22 at 10:27 pm

Elsewhere...the Reds-Pirates game was an interesting one.

The Pirates won the game, 1-0, without getting a hit. This is an "unofficial no-hitter", because the Pirates, who were the home team, only batted for 8 innings. This is the first such game in 14 years: on June 28th 2008, the Angels no-hit the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium for 8 innings, but the Dodgers scored a run without getting a hit and won that game 1-0.

Written By: nally on 05/18/22 at 12:25 am

Woohoo! Dodgers sweep a doubleheader at their home ballpark! They beat the Dbacks 7-6 and 12-3. This is the first doubleheader at Dodger Stadium since 1999, when the team made up a rained out game against the Rockies. (But this time, the lockout is the reason for this doubleheader.)

Written By: nally on 05/18/22 at 9:49 pm

And this afternoon the Dodgers completed a sweep of the Arizona Dbacks.

Written By: nally on 05/21/22 at 11:23 pm

Dodgers made it 7 in a row today with a win in Philadelphia - against the same Phillies team that beat 'em three times in a row a week ago.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/22/22 at 9:50 pm

I'm happy to report a good baseball day (finally!) in Chicagoland

The Cubs held on to beat the Diamondbacks today, 5-4.  Even better is that the White Sox took both games of today's double header against the Yankees, winning 3-1 and then 5-0.  Happy day!  :D

Written By: nally on 05/22/22 at 10:54 pm

I'm happy to report a good baseball day (finally!) in Chicagoland

The Cubs held on to beat the Diamondbacks today, 5-4.  Even better is that the White Sox took both games of today's double header against the Yankees, winning 3-1 and then 5-0.  Happy day!  :D

Awesome!! I'm glad the Whitesox were able to beat the Evil Empire in both games today. (I knew the second game was gonna be the Sunday Night Baseball game on ESPN.)

Written By: nally on 05/22/22 at 10:59 pm

Unfortunately, the Dudgers were not able to complete a sweep in Philly. :-[

They entered the 9th inning with a 2-1 lead and failed to capitalize on a bases-loaded opportunity. Then in the bottom of the 9th, the tying run scored, forcing extra innings. In the top of the 10th, LAD broke the tie...but with only one run, going up 3-2. Bottom of 10th, they got the first two outs...but then there were two baserunners, on second and third. A routine grounder came to the second baseman, but he botched the play! >:( This allowed the tying and winning runs to scored for the Phils. 8-P

And I think the Padres completed a sweep of the Giants in San Fran, thus shrinking the NL West lead to only a half-game. (I actually wanted the Giants to win, cuz that would have given the Pods a loss, and not shrink the Dudgers' lead.)

Written By: nally on 05/25/22 at 7:59 pm

Dodgers scored big in Washington on Monday and Tuesday. But today they couldn’t score one lousy run! >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/22 at 10:40 pm

Dodgers scored big in Washington on Monday and Tuesday. But today they couldn’t score one lousy run! >:(

That stinks  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/22 at 10:42 pm

Another mixed bag in Chicagoland today.  Cubs fell to Cincy 4-2.  The White Sox held off the Red Sox, 3-1.

Written By: nally on 05/25/22 at 11:36 pm

That stinks  :-\\

Yeah, it's their first goose-egg this year. 8-P

What's worse, starting pitcher Julio Urias - who lost only three decisions last year - was handed his 4th loss this year. It sucks that he couldn't get any run support.

Written By: nally on 05/25/22 at 11:37 pm

Another mixed bag in Chicagoland today.  Cubs fell to Cincy 4-2.  The White Sox held off the Red Sox, 3-1.

And the Chicagoland teams will face off this weekend at Guaranteed Rates Field (both teams are idle on Friday, which is a rarity for any team).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/26/22 at 9:35 am

And the Chicagoland teams will face off this weekend at Guaranteed Rates Field (both teams are idle on Friday, which is a rarity for any team).

Since I root for both teams (not all Chicagolanders do BTW) at times I find it hard to watch these games.  I often just wait to find out what happens.  (IMO now that I'm retired I watch too much baseball anyway.)  But the parks charge a premium for these games; many Cubs fans despise the White Sox, and vice versa.

Were I to go to one of these, I'd much rather go to GRF than Wrigley; Wrigley Field is charming and all, but GRF is IMO more of an experience with its more modern park, not to mention lots more food choices, plus they have real parking unlike Wrigley.  (In the distant past Wrigley patrons could park on the street around the park - those days are long gone.)

Written By: nally on 05/28/22 at 10:52 am

Since I root for both teams (not all Chicagolanders do BTW) at times I find it hard to watch these games.  I often just wait to find out what happens.  (IMO now that I'm retired I watch too much baseball anyway.)  But the parks charge a premium for these games; many Cubs fans despise the White Sox, and vice versa.

Were I to go to one of these, I'd much rather go to GRF than Wrigley; Wrigley Field is charming and all, but GRF is IMO more of an experience with its more modern park, not to mention lots more food choices, plus they have real parking unlike Wrigley.  (In the distant past Wrigley patrons could park on the street around the park - those days are long gone.)

Splendid! O0 I didn’t know if anyone normally favored one team over the other (although I thought some people might).

Btw, on Thursday, both teams got knocked around in their respective games, with the opposition scoring in double figures. ::) Both were like football scores.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/22 at 11:57 am

Splendid! O0 I didn’t know if anyone normally favored one team over the other (although I thought some people might).

Oh yes, large numbers of fans are rabid haters of the other team; many others just ignore.  (I may be in the minority, although there are probably more "both teamers" than the Chicagoland media and etc. let on.)  Until the Cubs and White Sox face off in the World Series, I can continue rooting for both.

Btw, on Thursday, both teams got knocked around in their respective games, with the opposition scoring in double figures. ::) Both were like football scores.

:-[

Written By: nally on 05/28/22 at 3:37 pm

Oh yes, large numbers of fans are rabid haters of the other team; many others just ignore.  (I may be in the minority, although there are probably more "both teamers" than the Chicagoland media and etc. let on.)

which makes sense to me. Likewise, in NY many people like the Yankees and can’t stand the Mets, and vice-a-versa. And other people probably favor both teams.

And in my region, where I am a diehard Dodgers fan, many people prefer that team over the Angels by far (or vice-a-versa). I’m not saying I don’t like the Angels; in fact, I’m fine with that team. I just only root against them when they play the Dodgers. In fact, 20 years ago, when LAA made their first World Series appearance (and only one to date), I cheered for them all the way. Especially since their opponent was the Giants (a team that most Dodgers fans despise).

Until the Cubs and White Sox face off in the World Series, I can continue rooting for both.

Of course, if the Dodgers and Angels ever meet in the World Series, I would favor the Dodgers. Back in 2009, both teams reached their respective LCSes, which made for a potential Freeway World Series, but neither team advanced. :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 2:44 pm

So in yesterday's action involving California-based teams in the NL, the Dodgers won, the Giants and Padres both lost. This increases the Dodgers' lead over the second-place Pods.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/29/22 at 5:20 pm

And the Chicagoland teams will face off this weekend at Guaranteed Rates Field...

Crazy game today!  :D  It was a bona-fide pitcher's duel the first 9 innings - the Cubs scored first on an error, the Sox tied it in the 9th on a wild pitch, so it went to extras at 1-1.  The next couple innings both teams scored.  It went to the bottom of the 12th inning, and a Jake Burger single propelled the Sox to a 5-4 win.  A lot of craziness in the game.  As it turns out the teams split this 2 game series (Cubs won handily yesterday, 5 - 1).

The major negative of today's game - the Sox' Tim Anderson went down with a groin strain; we don't know the extent yet, but it looked like it will send him to IL.

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 8:11 pm

And my team completed a four game sweep in Arizona. O0

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 8:17 pm

Crazy game today!  :D  It was a bona-fide pitcher's duel the first 9 innings - the Cubs scored first on an error, the Sox tied it in the 9th on a wild pitch, so it went to extras at 1-1.  The next couple innings both teams scored.  It went to the bottom of the 12th inning, and a Jake Burger single propelled the Sox to a 5-4 win.  A lot of craziness in the game.  As it turns out the teams split this 2 game series (Cubs won handily yesterday, 5 - 1).

The major negative of today's game - the Sox' Tim Anderson went down with a groin strain; we don't know the extent yet, but it looked like it will send him to IL.

Good for the CWS, on winning their game. Bad that one of their players getting injured.
Said team has also DFAed Dallas Keuchel.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/29/22 at 9:05 pm

And my team completed a four game sweep in Arizona. O0

O0 Always a good thing!

Good for the CWS, on winning their game. Bad that one of their players getting injured.
Said team has also DFAed Dallas Keuchel.

Tim Anderson is one of the best players on the Sox, his loss will be much felt.

Sad about Dallas Keuchel going DFA - we all know he was doing what he could, but he had a lot of bad outings this year (and even going back to last year) although he helped win one over the Yankees.  I don't know what else could've been done.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/29/22 at 10:20 pm

Yeah. Anytime a team’s star player goes down, they can’t get the production they hope for; but they can find other ways to step up. (The Dodgers have been in that situation many a time in recent years.)

Sad about Dallas Keuchel going DFA - we all know he was doing what he could, but he had a lot of bad outings this year (and even going back to last year) although he helped win one over the Yankees.  I don't know what else could've been done.  :-\\

Yup; he hasn’t exactly been the same since leaving the Houston Asterisks.

Written By: nally on 05/30/22 at 11:10 pm

Until the Cubs and White Sox face off in the World Series, I can continue rooting for both.

They have faced off in the World Series once before, namely in 1906. Sox won it in 6.

Written By: nally on 05/30/22 at 11:11 pm

Anyhoo, one Chicagoland team played today, but the other one didn't. The Cubbies were swept in a doubleheader by the Brews.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/31/22 at 7:59 am

Anyhoo, one Chicagoland team played today, but the other one didn't. The Cubbies were swept in a doubleheader by the Brews.

Written By: nally on 05/31/22 at 9:16 am

And my LAD team had woes yesterday as well; Craig Kimbrel suffered his first blown save this year and allowed the Pirates to take the lead. Bottom 9th, Dudgers put the tying and winning runs on, but couldn’t come through! >:(

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 12:28 am

And my LAD team had woes yesterday as well; Craig Kimbrel suffered his first blown save this year and allowed the Pirates to take the lead. Bottom 9th, Dudgers put the tying and winning runs on, but couldn’t come through! >:(

And tonight they dropped another one to the Pirates. :\'( Julio Urias just ain't the same guy he was last year.

At least the Padres have lost back-to-back games in St. Louis, thereby not gaining on my beloved team.

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 8:38 pm

I sure hope my team wins tonight. It would be a cryin' shame if the Pirates swept them at the Ravine. :-\\ :-[

Written By: nally on 06/01/22 at 11:10 pm

I sure hope my team wins tonight. It would be a cryin' shame if the Pirates swept them at the Ravine. :-\\ :-[

Looks like the Pirates got "sweep revenge" on the Dudgers :\'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/22 at 8:48 am

Looks like the Pirates got "sweep revenge" on the Dudgers :\'( :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Sorry to hear that, Dodgers fans  :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/22 at 8:49 am

The White Sox haven't won since Anderson went down  :\'(  Toronto swept them -

In other news, the Cubs turned it on the past few days, winning their last three - against major division opponents Milwaukee (splitting their series) and St. Louis (taking game 1 - they still have several games left in that series).  Nice going, Cubbies!

Written By: nally on 06/03/22 at 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear that, Dodgers fans  :(

But they broke out of the slump last night and blanked the Mets 2-0. :) The Mets were the only team not to lay a goose-egg this year, and now every team has done so.

Written By: nally on 06/03/22 at 7:54 pm

Oh; the Phillies are parting ways with manager Joe Girardi. :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/22 at 8:04 pm

Yeah  :-\\  We pull for the Phillies (hubby's childhood fave team).  IMO it's awfully early to make this move.  I don't have a strong opinion on Girardi up or down, though.

Written By: nally on 06/03/22 at 8:32 pm

Yeah  :-\\  We pull for the Phillies (hubby's childhood fave team).  IMO it's awfully early to make this move.  I don't have a strong opinion on Girardi up or down, though.

Of course, he used to manage the Yankees. During his stint as manager of that team, he led them to the 2009 WS title... over the Phillies. (Little did he know he’d someday manage them.) He also briefly managed the Miami Marlins in 2006, I think.

Right now the Girardi-less Phillies are trying to win a home game from the Angels for the first time ever.

Written By: nally on 06/04/22 at 5:15 pm

Mets designate veteran infielder Robinson Cano for assignment - who'da thunk it?

The Padres picked him up shortly afterward, but now the Padres have cut him loose. Makes me wonder if he's gonna retire soon, or try to keep playing?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/22 at 5:32 pm

The Padres picked him up shortly afterward, but now the Padres have cut him loose. Makes me wonder if he's gonna retire soon, or try to keep playing?

Wow, could this be it for Cano?  ???

Written By: nally on 06/04/22 at 7:36 pm

Wow, could this be it for Cano?  ???

We'll have to see.

He's gonna turn 40 in October. But that shouldn't matter. Pujols is older, but he's still putting up decent stats.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/22 at 11:26 pm

Could've been an extra nice day for Chicagoland teams - if the Cubbies didn't blow double header game 2 in the 10th.  Thus the Cubbies split their double header against their arch-rival Cardinals.  Meanwhile in Tampa Bay, the White Sox finally ended their losing streak, holding off the Rays to win 3-2.

Written By: nally on 06/05/22 at 12:38 pm

Dud-gers got hit hard by the Mets. :-[

Before the game, the team had a special pregame ceremony to retire the uniform number 14 in honor of Gil Hodges, who was elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame by the Veterans Committee earlier this year. (Coincidentally, this marked exactly half a century since the first time the Dodgers retired any uniform numbers. On June 4th 1972 they retired #32 in honor of Sandy Koufax, #39 in honor of Roy Campanella, and #42 in honor of Jackie Robinson.) Also, this was the first time since 1998 that they retired a number (that year, it was #20 for Don Sutton).

Written By: nally on 06/05/22 at 10:59 pm

DUDgers once again effed up an opportunity to win.

This time Julio Urias left in the 6th inning with 1 out and his team ahead, but only by one run. And of course the bullpen relinquished the lead. LAD managed to erase that deficit by tying up the score 4-4 through 9 innings, thus forcing extras. But NYM scored in the top of the 10th and that was all.

Personally, I think this "runner on 2nd" to start an extra inning is unfavorable. It is disadvantageous to the teams in more ways than one. And the Dodgers haven't fared well with this new temporary feature. (Glad that it'll be a thing of the past next year.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/06/22 at 3:45 pm

Could've been an extra nice day for Chicagoland teams - if the Cubbies didn't blow double header game 2 in the 10th...

Arrrgh - Cubbies blew yet another extra inning game to the Cardinals yesterday, this time in the 11th    :-
...Meanwhile in Tampa Bay, the White Sox finally ended their losing streak, holding off the Rays to win 3-2.

Thankfully, the Sox squeaked by Tampa Bay once more yesterday, 6 - 5.

...Personally, I think this "runner on 2nd" to start an extra inning is unfavorable. It is disadvantageous to the teams in more ways than one. And the Dodgers haven't fared well with this new temporary feature. (Glad that it'll be a thing of the past next year.)

Is this new "feature" going away?  If so, I won't fight that...

Written By: nally on 06/06/22 at 7:48 pm

Arrrgh - Cubbies blew yet another extra inning game to the Cardinals yesterday, this time in the 11th    :-[

Thankfully, the Sox squeaked by Tampa Bay once more yesterday, 6 - 5.

Yeah, those Cubbies ain’t doing so well this year :-\\

Good for the Sox. They host my team next! (Starting tomorrow.)

Written By: nally on 06/06/22 at 7:50 pm

Is this new "feature" going away?  If so, I won't fight that...

It will go away next year. Not sure if they’ll keep it for the ’22 postseason, though.

Written By: nally on 06/07/22 at 11:03 pm

Yeah ... IMO it's awfully early to make this move.  I don't have a strong opinion on Girardi up or down, though.

Another manager was shown the door today; another one named Joe, in fact. :-\\ I'm talking about Mr. Maddon, who was hired as Angels manager during the 2019-20 offseason, hoping he'd lead them to success (like he did the Cubs and the Rays). Apparently he's not working out as planned, as the LAA missed the postseason in both 2020 and '21, and this year they just lost 11 straight games. The team's third base coach Philip Nevin (who spent the last four years as 3B coach for the Yankees and was hired for the same position this past offseason) is taking over as interim manager.

Written By: nally on 06/08/22 at 11:16 pm

Well, after my team laid a goose egg against the Whitesox yesterday, they turned things around and won 4-1 tonight. Anthony Gonsolin is faring quite well as a starter this year; he's still unbeaten!

Written By: nally on 06/09/22 at 8:20 pm

Dodgers take two of three in south Chicago against the White Sox! They won today’s game 11-9.

Written By: nally on 06/10/22 at 12:39 am

The Angels finally won another game, ending a 14-game skid and averting a 4-game sweep by the Redsox!

Written By: nally on 06/12/22 at 1:09 pm

Dodgers ace pitcher Walker Buehler, who hasn't performed well in his recent starts, is apparently gonna be sidelined for a while. :-\\

https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/dodgers-dealt-major-walker-buehler-injury-blow/

I hope this doesn't lead to more bullpen games... :-[ :( :-\\

Written By: nally on 06/15/22 at 12:16 am

Dodgers narrowly take Game One of the 2022 Freeway Series opener at Dodger Stadium to keep Tony Gonsolin unbeaten this year.

Written By: nally on 06/16/22 at 12:48 am

And so the Dodgers sweep the Dodger Stadium half of the Freeway Series. Starting pitcher Tyler Anderson took a no-hitter into the 9th inning, but Shohei Othani broke it up with one out by hitting a triple. He then scored to kiss the shutout goodbye, but LAD prevailed by a score of 4-1.

Their win narrowly keeps them in first place in the NL West, as the Padres keep on winning. They buried the Cubbies in a landslide ( :( ) while the other Chicago team handed the Tigers a goose-egg.

Written By: nally on 06/16/22 at 8:11 pm

...but the Padres completed a sweep of the Cubbies to take over 1st place from the idle Dodgers by half a game. :-[

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/17/22 at 7:39 pm

The Cubs ended their 10 game losing streak by beating Atlanta, who was on a 14 game win streak.  It was a total pitcher's duel (the final was 1-0).  Who'da thunk?    :D

Written By: nally on 06/17/22 at 7:51 pm

The Cubs ended their 10 game losing streak by beating Atlanta, who was on a 14 game win streak.  It was a total pitcher's duel (the final was 1-0).  Who'da thunk?    :D

WTG Cubbies!

A pair of double-digit streaks broken in one game.

Written By: nally on 06/18/22 at 10:25 pm

WTG Cubbies!

A pair of double-digit streaks broken in one game.

Cubs beat the Knaves again today. :D

And the other Chicagoland team blanked the Asterisks by a touchdown in Houston.

Written By: nally on 06/18/22 at 10:27 pm

As for my beloved Boys In Blue, they dropped another extra-inning affair last nite against the Guardians, but won today by a score of 7-1. They still need for the Padres to lose in order to get back into first place in the NL West.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/18/22 at 10:34 pm

Cubs beat the Knaves again today. :D

And the other Chicagoland team blanked the Asterisks by a touchdown in Houston.

Yay!    :D

As for my beloved Boys In Blue, they dropped another extra-inning affair last nite against the Guardians, but won today by a score of 7-1. They still need for the Padres to lose in order to get back into first place in the NL West.

O0 Glad they pulled today's game off - hoping for another Dodgers' win tomorrow, too!  (And I wouldn't mind seeing the Padres lose a couple, either.)

Written By: nally on 06/18/22 at 11:21 pm

Yay!    :D

O0 Glad they pulled today's game off - hoping for another Dodgers' win tomorrow, too!  (And I wouldn't mind seeing the Padres lose a couple, either.)

We’re in luck - the Pods lost in Colorado again to put LAD back on top by half a game.

Written By: nally on 06/20/22 at 12:11 am

Dudgers couldn't take the rubber game against the Clevelands and capitalize on another Padres loss. :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/21/22 at 11:44 pm

WOW!!!!  Exciting walk-off hit by the White Sox' Josh Harrison in inning 12 tonight, scoring Jose Abreu, winning 7-6.  Frustrating game at times - but Dylan Cease's sparkling start (that was nearly ruined by the bullpen) was redeemed at last.  WOW!!!!!    :D

Written By: nally on 06/22/22 at 8:11 pm

Dodgers starting pitcher Anthony Gonsolin is now 9 and 0 - who'da thunk it?!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/22/22 at 9:32 pm

Dodgers starting pitcher Anthony Gonsolin is now 9 and 0 - who'da thunk it?!

O0 Hey, that's pretty awesome - way to go, Anthony Gonsolin!

Written By: nally on 06/22/22 at 10:52 pm

O0 Hey, that's pretty awesome - way to go, Anthony Gonsolin!

I should add that he achieved his 9th win in yesterday’s game as the Dodgers defeated the Cincinnati Reds.

They beat Cincy again today; the starter today was Tyler Anderson, who is also off to a surprise start, but he got a no-decision. However, he too remains unbeaten.

Written By: nally on 06/23/22 at 10:42 pm

Dodgers completed a season series sweep of the Cincinnati Reds today, winning 10-5!

LAD scored in every inning except the 1st, and the team collectively hit 5 home runs! Kershaw improved to 5-1 (although one reliever, Philip Bickford I think, almost coughed up the lead, which would have denied Kersh a deserved "W").

Written By: nally on 06/25/22 at 12:01 am

Freddy Freeman played in Atlanta as a visiting player for the first time ever. He received his World Series ring, as well as a hero's welcome from his ex-Braves teammates and the fans, before the Dodgers began their series.

Freeman was walked in his first plate appearance. The LAD won their series opener 4-1.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/26/22 at 11:28 pm

Good day (finally) for both Chicagoland teams today, both winning nail-biters.  The White Sox won in regulation 4-3; the Cubs won in extras 6-5.  I noticed the Phillies won too (we root for them) over the Padres.  Plus, it looks like the Dodgers won today (in extras) too.  Smiles all around!  :)

Written By: nally on 06/26/22 at 11:34 pm

How about them Dodgers! They were one strike away from losing, against their former closer, Kenly Jansen; but the newly acquired Trayce Thompson (who at one time had been a Dodger earlier in his career) knocked in the tying runs and eventually forced extra innings. After both teams scored a run in the 10th, LAD scored a pair in the 11th and shut the door to win 5-3 and take two of three in Atlanta. More importantly, they keep Gonsolin unbeaten (his record remains at 9-0). Had the team not come through in the 9th, Gonsolin would have been handed his first loss this year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/26/22 at 11:40 pm

How about them Dodgers! They were one strike away from losing, against their former closer, Kenly Jansen; but the newly acquired Trayce Thompson (who at one time had been a Dodger earlier in his career) knocked in the tying runs and eventually forced extra innings. After both teams scored a run in the 10th, LAD scored a pair in the 11th and shut the door to win 5-3...

O0 That's quite the story!  Sounds like an exciting game.

Written By: nally on 06/26/22 at 11:45 pm

O0 That's quite the story!  Sounds like an exciting game.

It would have been dismal if not for the aforementioned comeback. It was the Sunday Night Baseball game on ESPN this week, and I was tuning in every so often to check in on it.

The other NL teams based in California - the Padres and Giants - lost their respective games, which helped the Dodgers gain on them.

Written By: nally on 06/27/22 at 11:30 pm

And tonight those DUDgers laid a goose egg…in Colorado, of all places. >:(

Tyler Anderson no longer unbeaten.

Written By: nally on 06/29/22 at 12:40 am

Dodgers couldn’t win today either, but at least they scored this time.

@A.G.: looks like the Chicago teams produced a mixed bag today.

Written By: nally on 07/01/22 at 9:05 pm

Dodgers salvaged a game in Colorado on Wednesday.

And last night, they began a 4-game series against the Padres, which could be a battle for the top spot in the NL West! L.A. took the opener.

Written By: nally on 07/01/22 at 10:30 pm

Oh…and the Cubs beat the Redsox 6-5 earlier today. This is Boston’s first series at Wrigley Field since 2011.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/02/22 at 11:22 pm

Oh…and the Cubs beat the Redsox 6-5 earlier today. This is Boston’s first series at Wrigley Field since 2011.

The Cubs did it again today!  (That's 4 in a row.)  In other good news, the White Sox took the first two against the S.F. Giants in their interleague games...  :)

Written By: nally on 07/03/22 at 1:26 pm

The Cubs did it again today!  (That's 4 in a row.)  In other good news, the White Sox took the first two against the S.F. Giants in their interleague games...  :)

And if the Whitesox can complete the sweep in San Fran today, that’ll be fine by me!

Similarly, the Dodgers have a chance to complete a four game sweep of the Padres at Dodger Stadium today to increase their division lead to 5 1/2 games! I would so love to see that.

Written By: nally on 07/03/22 at 8:25 pm

Ah narts, the Padres averted a Dodger sweep! >:( Curtain Clayshaw pitched 7 shutout innings, but Kimbrel couldn't hold the 1-0 lead in the ninth! I HIW a starting pitcher pitches damn well and one of his successors effs it up, thereby denying him a deserved "W".

Written By: nally on 07/05/22 at 8:04 pm

I’m a bit late in responding to this, but the White Sox completed the sweep of the Giants on Sunday, which I assume you’re glad about. :)

Written By: nally on 07/07/22 at 8:33 pm

Dodgers swept the Rockies last night, walking it off with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th!

Mookie Betts knocked in that winning run. He hit a chopper that seemed like a routine comebacker, but the Rockies pitcher was indecisive about where to throw it. He started to throw it toward home to make a play at the plate, but by the time he made his decision, it was too late; the runner was almost all the way home! So there was no play at all; LAD won 2-1.

Now the Dodgers welcome in the Cubbies for four.

Written By: nally on 07/09/22 at 9:31 am

Ah... the Dodgers looked like they were gonna lose their game last nite, but they tied it up in the bottom of the 9th, forced extra innings, and walked it off in the 10th! :)

The Padres, on the other hand, have already taken the first two games from the Giants, thereby keeping pace with LAD. Giants are now back to break-even, at 41-41; so they're sinking in the standings! :o I actually am rooting for the Giants this weekend, because if they win, they have a chance to push the Padres back.

Written By: nally on 07/10/22 at 7:18 pm

Dodgers just finished off a season series sweep of the Chicago Cubs (sorry, A.G.)!

The game got off to a rocky start with Julio Urias giving up five runs in the first frame, but LAD recovered.

Written By: nally on 07/13/22 at 11:56 pm

After losing in St Louis yesterday to the Cardinals, the Dodgers overcame a 6-run deficit in the late innings of today’s game to win 7-6. :) More importantly, they got Anthony Gonsolin off the hook; he will go into the All Star break unbeaten, at 11-0 with a decent ERA.

Written By: nally on 07/14/22 at 12:01 am

And it looks like the Angels are doing well whenever Shohei Othani is on the mound. Tonight he’s been pitching a gem against the Houston Asterisks. (This means the Dodgers won’t be facing him when they go to Anaheim on Friday and Saturday.)

Written By: nally on 07/14/22 at 11:26 pm

Dodgers won the rubber game in STL by blanking the Cardinals 4-0! :D

And the Reds took two of three at Yankees Stadium - who’da thunk it?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/22 at 11:11 am

Dodgers won the rubber game in STL by blanking the Cardinals 4-0! :D

O0 Yay Dodgers, knock around those redbirds!  (Not that there's any hope for the Cubbies - but I just like it!  We need an "evil grin" emoji...)

In the meantime it was starting to look bleak for the Sox - and then they pulled out a series split against Cleveland and grabbed the first two of the series against the dreaded Twinkies!  Happy day!  :D

I'm so glad Tim Anderson is all healed up - this year he gets to start as SS in the All Star game.  (Sadly our own Dylan Cease appears to have been overlooked, unless he's added late - he's earned it this year with his magnificent starting pitching.)

And the Reds took two of three at Yankees Stadium - who’da thunk it?

:o  Who'da thunk it indeed

Written By: nally on 07/16/22 at 11:17 am

And in last night's Dodgers-Angels game, Clayton Kershaw performed quite well, like his old self! He actually had a perfect game through 7 innings, but in the 8th inning, the first batter he faced broke up both the perfecto and the no-no with a base hit. And in the 9th inning, a reliever came on and erased the shutout with a run. Nonetheless, the Dodgers prevailed 9-1! And today they will go for a Freeway Series Sweep! (The only time that the Dodgers completed a 4-game Freeway Series sweep was in 1997, the very first year of interleague play. And in the shortened season of 2020, the Dodgers managed to win all 6 games of the Freeway Series, the last of which was on Closing Day. Conversely, the Angels swept the Freeway Series in 2019.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/16/22 at 11:27 am

And in last night's Dodgers-Angels game, Clayton Kershaw performed quite well, like his old self! He actually had a perfect game through 7 innings, but in the 8th inning, the first batter he faced broke up both the perfecto and the no-no with a base hit. And in the 9th inning, a reliever came on and erased the shutout with a run. Nonetheless, the Dodgers prevailed 9-1! And today they will go for a Freeway Series Sweep! (The only time that the Dodgers completed a 4-game Freeway Series sweep was in 1997, the very first year of interleague play. And in the shortened season of 2020, the Dodgers managed to win all 6 games of the Freeway Series, the last of which was on Closing Day. Conversely, the Angels swept the Freeway Series in 2019.)

O0 Kudos to Clayton Kershaw!

Written By: nally on 07/16/22 at 11:30 am

O0 Kudos to Clayton Kershaw!

He just might start the All Star Game on Tuesday at Dodger Stadium!

Written By: nally on 07/17/22 at 10:57 am

And today they will go for a Freeway Series Sweep! (The only time that the Dodgers completed a 4-game Freeway Series sweep was in 1997, the very first year of interleague play. And in the shortened season of 2020, the Dodgers managed to win all 6 games of the Freeway Series, the last of which was on Closing Day. Conversely, the Angels swept the Freeway Series in 2019.)

Dodgers did it! They won last night's game 7-1.

Those Angels ain't doing so well lately. When was the last time they won a game not started by Shohei Othani?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/17/22 at 4:38 pm

Good baseball day in Chicagoland.  The White Sox beat up on the Twinkies, winning 11 - 0!  Meanwhile, the Cubbies finally end their losing streak, beating the Mets 3 - 2.  Happy day!  :D

Written By: nally on 07/18/22 at 9:44 pm

Good baseball day in Chicagoland.  The White Sox beat up on the Twinkies, winning 11 - 0!  Meanwhile, the Cubbies finally end their losing streak, beating the Mets 3 - 2.  Happy day!  :D

Yep, good for both teams! O0

Written By: nally on 07/18/22 at 9:45 pm

Congratulations to Juan Soto of the Washington Nationals for winning this year’s Home Run Derby!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/19/22 at 10:38 pm

O0 I found this year's All Star game very entertaining this year!  The AL won 3 - 2.  Kudos to my guys, White Sox SS Tim Anderson (1 for 2 with a single), closer Liam Hendriks (pitched the last out of the 8th), and Cubbies' Willson Contreras and Ian Happ.  Fun game - I liked the guys being miked up.  Nice!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/19/22 at 10:53 pm

O0 I found this year's All Star game very entertaining this year!...

And check out this double play  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqepqu7ug8

Written By: nally on 07/19/22 at 11:43 pm

O0 I found this year's All Star game very entertaining this year!  The AL won 3 - 2.  Kudos to my guys, White Sox SS Tim Anderson (1 for 2 with a single), closer Liam Hendriks (pitched the last out of the 8th), and Cubbies' Willson Contreras and Ian Happ.  Fun game - I liked the guys being miked up.  Nice!

I was bummed that the National League never scored again after the first inning. :( I thought early on that they might've had a shot to win it for the first time in ten years. But that unfortunately did not happen. :-\\

In the top of the 1st, Kersh pitched well as the starter. Shohei Othani, the first batter he faced, got a hit...but then got picked off for the first out.

But it was another Dodger pitcher - Anthony Gonsolin (who is undefeated in regular season play this year) - who gave up the three runs to the A.L. in the 3rd inning.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/19/22 at 11:50 pm

I was bummed that the National League never scored again after the first inning. :( I thought early on that they might've had a shot to win it for the first time in ten years. But that unfortunately did not happen. :-\\

True, it has been lopsided over the past several years.  :-\\  At least these days, the game doesn't have any postseason implications (as had been the case for a while).

Written By: nally on 07/19/22 at 11:56 pm

True, it has been lopsided over the past several years.  :-\\

More like one-sided. Particularly from 1997 through 2009 (except for '02 when it infamously ended in a tie) and again from 2013 through now.

At least these days, the game doesn't have any postseason implications (as had been the case for a while).

That's right, it did from 2003 through 2016. That "homefield advantage in the World Series" criterion was put in place in 2003 after the previous year's game ended in a tie. But after '16 it was dropped, partly due to the AL getting it for most of those seasons even if the NL winner had a much better record. Especially in '16 when the Cubs had a better record than all the other teams and they won the NL pennant. (Still, the Cubbies went all the way, which I was glad about.) Anyho, HFA in the WS being awarded to the team with the better regular season record makes much more sense.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/20/22 at 9:25 am

...That's right, it did from 2003 through 2016. That "homefield advantage in the World Series" criterion was put in place in 2003 after the previous year's game ended in a tie...

Thanks for reminding me when that rule was in force - I couldn't remember.  I guess it was in force during all my fave teams' championship runs: 2005 White Sox, 2008 Phillies, and 2016 Cubs.  Interesting!

Written By: nally on 07/22/22 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for reminding me when that rule was in force - I couldn't remember.  I guess it was in force during all my fave teams' championship runs: 2005 White Sox, 2008 Phillies, and 2016 Cubs.  Interesting!

Yes, and in 2016, when the Cubbies had the top seed of all the teams that qualified for the postseason, many people felt that said team should've gotten homefield advantage. Nonetheless, they did win one game on their home field...and more importantly, they went all the way. This may have been the key reason for eliminating the "All Star Game winner" criterion.

Written By: nally on 07/22/22 at 10:32 pm

Anyways, the Dodgers in last night's game blew a 5-0 lead, got behind 6-5, but tied it up in the bottom of the 8th and then took a 3-run lead on Mookie Bett's 3-run home run; they kept the 9-6 lead and won by that score. O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/22/22 at 10:48 pm

Anyways, the Dodgers in last night's game blew a 5-0 lead, got behind 6-5, but tied it up in the bottom of the 8th and then took a 3-run lead on Mookie Bett's 3-run home run; they kept the 9-6 lead and won by that score. O0

O0 Back to their winning ways, I see...

Written By: nally on 07/22/22 at 11:31 pm

O0 Back to their winning ways, I see...

Yep, picking up right from where they left off! They haven’t lost a game since the 12th in St Louis.

However, tonight they are tied at 1 after 7 innings of play.

Written By: nally on 07/22/22 at 11:33 pm

Final score in Boston: Blue Jays 28, Red Sox 5! :o :o

Written By: nally on 07/23/22 at 1:24 am

However, tonight they are tied at 1 after 7 innings of play.

Aha; this time, a Cody Belinger grand slam in the 8th inning unties the score and propels the Dodgers to a 5-1 win! :D :)

Written By: nally on 07/24/22 at 10:58 am

Dodgers narrowly won yesterday’s game, 4-2 over the Giants. This gives them win #63, making them the first NL team assured of not losing 100 games this year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/24/22 at 5:47 pm

Wow - after choking on the first two, the White Sox pulled a series split against the dreaded Clevelands, winning convincingly today 6 - 3 (and yesterday's double header game 2 they just squeaked out, 5 - 4).  Hooray!  :D

Ordinarily, I'd be giddy about the Cubbies pulling off a sweep on the road.  Not this time, though.  We were hoping for a little more from the Phillies over that series, as they are in a serious race, and the Cubbies are still in rebuilding mode.  Alas, what can we do?

Written By: nally on 07/24/22 at 7:52 pm

And my beloved Dodger team completed a 4-game sweep of the Giants (at Dodger Stadium) today!! :)

Written By: nally on 07/26/22 at 12:21 am

Looks to me like Mr. Gonsolin will no longer be unbeaten as of tonight. :-[ IOW, he'll be handed his first official loss of 2022.

That also means LAD's 8-game win streak will end.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/26/22 at 11:49 pm

The White Sox won a squeaker in Colorado, 2 - 1.  Meanwhile the normally-despised Brewers helped the Sox' cause today, walking off the Twinkies 7 - 6.  Alas, if only Boston had come through against Cleveland...

Meanwhile the Cubs beat the Pirates 4 - 2.  :)

Written By: nally on 07/27/22 at 8:07 pm

Oh good; Dodgers salvaged a game against the Nationals this afternoon, scoring a half-dozen runs in the first inning and eventually coming out on top 7-1. It would have been a shame for the team with the best NL record to get swept by the team with the worst record in the majors.

And the Giants are on a huge skid right now; they now have a losing record! :o (But hey, I'm not gonna complain about that.)

Written By: nally on 07/29/22 at 10:36 pm

Dodgers routed the Rockies in Denver yesterday, 13-0, without hitting any home runs.

Tonight they are trying to win their third in a row.

Written By: nally on 07/29/22 at 11:33 pm

Dodgers routed the Rockies in Denver yesterday, 13-0, without hitting any home runs.

Tonight they are trying to win their third in a row.

They barely hung on, winning 5-4.

Mr. Kimbrel gave up a couple of runs; and it took a spectacular catch to get the final out to preserve a "W" for Mr. Urias.
I admit I'm not all that confident about Kimbrel; he's not lights-out like true ace relievers. I admit I haven't been confident with any Dodgers closers since the 2000s, when Eric Gagne (2002-2004) and Takashi Saito (2006 into 2008) would shut the door. Those guys have long since retired, but most of the time when they took the mound in the 9th, I could usually trust them to get batters out.

Written By: nally on 07/30/22 at 5:37 pm

With the “trade deadline” approaching (on Aug 2nd this year), some teams have already been making moves. For example, starting pitcher Luis Castillo went from the Reds to the Mariners. And one key player, Nationals outfielder Juan Soto is likely to be sent to a different team (several teams are vying for him).

Written By: nally on 07/31/22 at 5:58 pm

Dodgers didn’t have good defense yesterday, but today they did; plus they did some more scoring. Now if the Twinkies can take the rubber game in San Diego, then we can increase our lead by another game.

Written By: nally on 07/31/22 at 6:14 pm

Dodgers didn’t have good defense yesterday, but today they did; plus they did some more scoring. Now if the Twinkies can take the rubber game in San Diego, then we can increase our lead by another game.

Padres won instead. This means the Dodgers’ NL West lead remains at 12 games.

Written By: nally on 08/02/22 at 9:23 am

The Dodgers finally won a game in San Francisco last nite, routing the Giants 8-2.

Written By: nally on 08/02/22 at 7:47 pm

Juan Soto goes to the Padres. He was likely to be sent to either that team or the Cardinals.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/02/22 at 10:45 pm

After a tight loss yesterday 2-1, the White Sox won their game today 9-2!  :D  Even better, both Minnesota and Cleveland lost today!  (Oh how I need that evil grin emoji!)

Written By: nally on 08/02/22 at 10:47 pm

After a tight loss yesterday 2-1, the White Sox won their game today 9-2!  :D  Even better, both Minnesota and Cleveland lost today!  (Oh how I need that evil grin emoji!)

Like this? >:D

Greater than, colon, capital D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/02/22 at 11:25 pm

Like this? >:D

Greater than, colon, capital D

Perfect, thank you!  Trying it myself  >:D

Written By: nally on 08/02/22 at 11:30 pm

Perfect, thank you!  Trying it myself  >:D

Yep, just like the thumbs-up emoticon, the "evil grin" is one that's "hidden", but it can still be typed. (Of course on a smartphone, the > symbol is not as easy to access like it is on a computer keyboard.)

Occasionally I've used the >:D not just on the baseball threads, but elsewhere.

Written By: nally on 08/02/22 at 11:32 pm

Anyways... the Dodgers did get one player in the "trade deadline", namely Joey Gallo (who'd been with the Yankees), but this has generated criticism from Dodger fans because he tends to strike out a lot; this might not help the Dodgers go far in the postseason if he's in their lineup.

Written By: nally on 08/04/22 at 7:56 pm

Good news: Dodgers completed another 4-game sweep of the Giants, this time in San Fran! :D

Bad news: Clayton Kershaw hurt himself during the game. This likely means another trip to the Injury List for him. :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/06/22 at 1:56 pm

Bad news: Clayton Kershaw hurt himself during the game. This likely means another trip to the Injury List for him. :(

Sorry to hear  :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/06/22 at 2:02 pm

Yesterday was a good day for my teams - the Cubs and White Sox both won exciting squeakers yesterday, both 2 - 1.  Yay!  Plus the Phillies won too.  :D

Even better, Cleveland lost yesterday  >:D  The White Sox are as of right now tied with Cleveland.

Speaking of "right now", today's Cubs game is in progress, currently scoreless.

Written By: nally on 08/06/22 at 6:11 pm

Sorry to hear  :(

Yep, he’s gonna be out for a few weeks or so.

But the team played well last night in its first home game since the passing of Vin Scully earlier this week. (There was a special pregame ceremony to honor him, since he was a highly respected man in more ways than one.)

Written By: nally on 08/07/22 at 11:09 pm

Dodgers sweep the Padres (who spent a lot of $$$ to acquire big-name trade targets last week) to push them back even further in the standings!! (Not only that, but the Pads have traded places with the surging Phillies in the NL wildcard race.)

Written By: nally on 08/09/22 at 10:40 pm

Yesterday was a good day for my teams - the Cubs and White Sox both won exciting squeakers yesterday, both 2 - 1.  Yay!  Plus the Phillies won too.  :D

And today your Whitesox split a doubleheader with the KC Royals, whom my L.A. Dodgers will face this weekend.

Today and tomorrow, the LAD host the Twinkies; hopefully we can extend our winning streak against them!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/10/22 at 9:45 am

Sad to report that Sox' All Star Tim Anderson will miss several weeks due to hand surgery  :(

Today and tomorrow, the LAD host the Twinkies; hopefully we can extend our winning streak against them!!

Go Dodgers - beat those Twinkies!!!

Written By: nally on 08/10/22 at 8:21 pm

Sad to report that Sox' All Star Tim Anderson will miss several weeks due to hand surgery  :(

I just heard... and with eight weeks left in the season, there's a possibility he could miss the rest of it. (Or he could be ready for the final week or so. Only time will tell.)

Written By: nally on 08/10/22 at 8:24 pm

Go Dodgers - beat those Twinkies!!!

And they succeeded in doing so!! Now if they can win again tonight, then it'll be a season series sweep of the Twinkies...and 10 wins in a row over them, dating back to 2014!

(In 2014, the Dodgers faced the Twinkies in Target Field for a 3-game series and swept 'em. Then in 2017, the Twinkies came to Dodger Stadium for a 3-game series and again were swept by LAD. And this year, the Dodgers went to Target Field for a pair of games in April and won 'em both, and won again last night.)

Written By: nally on 08/10/22 at 11:13 pm

And they succeeded in doing so!! Now if they can win again tonight, then it'll be a season series sweep of the Twinkies...and 10 wins in a row over them, dating back to 2014!

Unfortunately, things started going downhill for the Dodgers in the 3rd inning when the Twinkies took the lead. It wasn't looking good on last check. Hopefully things'll change positively for them. Keep our fingers crossed.

Written By: nally on 08/10/22 at 11:18 pm

Unfortunately, things started going downhill for the Dodgers in the 3rd inning when the Twinkies took the lead. It wasn't looking good on last check. Hopefully things'll change positively for them. Keep our fingers crossed.

Update: LAD tied it up at 4-4 in the bottom of 5th, getting spot starter Ryan Pepiot off the hook. Now if we could pull ahead!

Written By: nally on 08/11/22 at 12:52 am

Update: LAD tied it up at 4-4 in the bottom of 5th, getting spot starter Ryan Pepiot off the hook. Now if we could pull ahead!

Dodgers went ahead in the bottom of the 6th, then Joey Gallo hit a three-run homer an inning later (his first in a Dodger uniform) to go up 8-4. In the 9th, things got a little shaky with Kimbrel on the mound, but the Dodgers prevailed, 8-5, and completed the season series sweep of those Twins! :) :D 8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/11/22 at 8:27 am

Dodgers went ahead in the bottom of the 6th, then Joey Gallo hit a three-run homer an inning later (his first in a Dodger uniform) to go up 8-4. In the 9th, things got a little shaky with Kimbrel on the mound, but the Dodgers prevailed, 8-5, and completed the season series sweep of those Twins! :) :D 8)

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Written By: nally on 08/11/22 at 7:40 pm

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Yep, that gives them 10 straight wins overall, and 10 straight wins against the Twinkies.

Written By: nally on 08/11/22 at 10:51 pm

Field Of Dreams Game: Cubs defeat Reds 4-2. (Reds were the “home” team this time.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/11/22 at 11:07 pm

Field Of Dreams Game: Cubs defeat Reds 4-2. (Reds were the “home” team this time.)

O0 That was very entertaining!  (Especially after the White Sox blew another game to Kansas City earlier today  :-\\)  The one scary part was seeing Contreras go down with the ankle, but thankfully it looked to not be too serious.

Written By: nally on 08/12/22 at 9:01 pm

O0 That was very entertaining!  (Especially after the White Sox blew another game to Kansas City earlier today  :-\\)  The one scary part was seeing Contreras go down with the ankle, but thankfully it looked to not be too serious.

Yep, it was the second straight year that a Chicago team wins the game in Dyersville. Too bad about Contreras though. :-\\

Written By: nally on 08/12/22 at 9:02 pm

Meanwhile, just as Fernando Tatis Jr. is about to come off the injury list, he tests positive for a naughty substance. >:( This results in him getting suspended for the remainder of this season...and at least a month into next season... tisk tisk! :o :o

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/12/22 at 9:39 pm

Yep, it was the second straight year that a Chicago team wins the game in Dyersville. Too bad about Contreras though. :-\\

Thanks - Contreras appears to be OK as of now

Meanwhile, just as Fernando Tatis Jr. is about to come off the injury list, he tests positive for a naughty substance. >:( This results in him getting suspended for the remainder of this season...and at least a month into next season... tisk tisk! :o :o

I heard.  That's huge.  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/12/22 at 9:43 pm

The White Sox beat Detroit today!  Michael Kopech pitched 6 innings of no-hit baseball, but the bullpen couldn't preserve the no-hit.  But they did pull off the shutout.  Thanks to Andrew Vaughn's 2 RBI single in the 8th, they won 2 - 0.  :D

Happy too that the Phillies beat the rival Mets today.  Saw parts of that game.  Way to go, Phillies!

Written By: nally on 08/12/22 at 11:48 pm

The White Sox beat Detroit today!  Michael Kopech pitched 6 innings of no-hit baseball, but the bullpen couldn't preserve the no-hit.  But they did pull off the shutout.  Thanks to Andrew Vaughn's 2 RBI single in the 8th, they won 2 - 0.  :D

Happy too that the Phillies beat the rival Mets today.  Saw parts of that game.  Way to go, Phillies!

Good for your teams! O0

My team (LAD) won its game today in KC to give Gonsolin his 14th win! Tony had a no-hitter going into the 7th, but the important thing is that we won.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/13/22 at 9:48 pm

Today, the White Sox and Cubs both won -  hooray!  :D  Unfortunately, the Phillies didn't handle their rival Mets today.  (Couldn't see that one, out of market for us.)

In related news, Cleveland lost against Toronto - I love it  >:D

Written By: nally on 08/13/22 at 10:44 pm

Today in KC, the Dodgers went on a wild scoring spree, routing the Royals 13-3!! :D They scored 5 in the 1st, 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th... and three more runs came in the later innings. In fact, the team hit 6 home runs in this game. As a result, they have won 12 straight - something they haven’t done since 1976!

Let’s see if they can complete the sweep tomorrow. (If they do, then they’ll finish with a 16-4 interleague record this year!)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/13/22 at 11:05 pm

Today in KC, the Dodgers went on a wild scoring spree, routing the Royals 13-3!! :D They scored 5 in the 1st, 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th... and three more runs came in the later innings. In fact, the team hit 6 home runs in this game. As a result, they have won 12 straight - something they haven’t done since 1976!

Let’s see if they can complete the sweep tomorrow. (If they do, then they’ll finish with a 16-4 interleague record this year!)

Go ahead, Dodgers - sweep 'em  O0

Written By: nally on 08/14/22 at 11:04 am

Their current winning streak has propelled them to the best record in MLB, btw.

Written By: nally on 08/14/22 at 5:37 pm

Dangflabit, they ended up not doing so. In fact, they didn’t even score one lousy run. >:(

Still, they finish their interleague play this year with a 15-5 record, which is pretty darn good.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/14/22 at 5:54 pm

Dangflabit, they ended up not doing so. In fact, they didn’t even score one lousy run. >:(

Sorry to hear  :-\\  Those pesky Royals aren't going anywhere, they just exist to make things harder on the rest of us!  (Is my bias showing?)

Written By: nally on 08/15/22 at 8:01 pm

Sorry to hear  :-\\  Those pesky Royals aren't going anywhere, they just exist to make things harder on the rest of us!  (Is my bias showing?)

Yeah; they did briefly have that success in the mid 2010s after not making the postseason for nearly three decades. And they haven’t really been doing all that great since winning the 2015 World Series (their most recent postseason appearance!).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/15/22 at 10:18 pm

WOW!!!  The White Sox with an amazing comeback win tonite over the dreaded Astros!  They entered the bottom of the 8th inning behind 2 - 0, and ended the inning ahead 4 - 2!  All with 2 outs - so exciting!  :D

Kudos to Eloy Jimenez and Yoan Moncada who each got 2-RBI hits.  Kudos to the other players who got on base in front of them.  Kudos to Liam Hendriks who closed the game out.  (And Johnny Cueto, our starter who was vindicated after the 8th.)  WOO-HOO!!!

In other news, the Phillies thankfully won today, but the Cubs lost.

Written By: nally on 08/16/22 at 7:42 pm

WOW!!!  The White Sox with an amazing comeback win tonite over the dreaded Astros!  They entered the bottom of the 8th inning behind 2 - 0, and ended the inning ahead 4 - 2!  All with 2 outs - so exciting!  :D

Kudos to Eloy Jimenez and Yoan Moncada who each got 2-RBI hits.  Kudos to the other players who got on base in front of them.  Kudos to Liam Hendriks who closed the game out.  (And Johnny Cueto, our starter who was vindicated after the 8th.)  WOO-HOO!!!

In other news, the Phillies thankfully won today, but the Cubs lost.

I’m glad your Sox won this “2005 World Series rematch” game. O0

My beloved Dodger team handed the Brew Crew a goose-egg in Milwaukee yesterday; they re-increase their NL West lead to 17 games over the Padres, who laid a goose egg in Miami!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/16/22 at 10:44 pm

WOW!!!  The White Sox with an amazing comeback win tonite over the dreaded Astros!

It's practically deja vu all over again - the White Sox took the lead in the 8th inning again and won 4 - 3!  (This after the Astros had been ahead most of the game 3 - 1.)  :D

The "Cease vs. Verlander" contest - not sure how that hyped up matchup graded out, but Yay White Sox!

Tonight was also good for the Cubbies and the Phillies who both won - hooray!!!

Written By: nally on 08/16/22 at 11:21 pm

Darn... LAD lost it in extras in Milwaukee tonight. ::) :P

Yesterday, the team found out that their starting pitcher Walker Buehler will undergo season-ending surgery next week. So we won't see him back on the mound until sometime in 2023. :( :-[

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/16/22 at 11:55 pm

Darn... LAD lost it in extras in Milwaukee tonight. ::) :P

Yesterday, the team found out that their starting pitcher Walker Buehler will undergo season-ending surgery next week. So we won't see him back on the mound until sometime in 2023. :( :-[

Bummer.  :(  Sorry to hear about Walker Buehler, that's rough.

Written By: nally on 08/17/22 at 8:03 pm

Yeah, he was placed on the I.L. in June after going 6-3 in 12 starts. Then he was shut down indefinitely. Now he’s gonna go under the knife. Still, the team’s current starting rotation is doing pretty well overall. This weekend I think they plan to activate Dustin May, who has been recovering from Tommy John Surgery.

Written By: nally on 08/17/22 at 10:54 pm

Bummer.  :( 

But tonight they turned things around and beat the Brew Crew 2-1. This gives my team its 81st win, which makes the Dodgers the first team to be assured of NOT having a losing record this year. O0

Written By: nally on 08/18/22 at 7:43 pm

But tonight they turned things around and beat the Brew Crew 2-1. This gives my team its 81st win, which makes the Dodgers the first team to be assured of NOT having a losing record this year. O0

And today they lost a matinee game, thus splitting the series in Milwaukee. :(

Written By: nally on 08/18/22 at 7:46 pm

It's practically deja vu all over again - the White Sox took the lead in the 8th inning again and won 4 - 3!  (This after the Astros had been ahead most of the game 3 - 1.)  :D

And today I happened to notice that your Sox were crushed by the Stros in a massive landslide score. (More like a football score, but still a landslide.) :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/19/22 at 10:45 pm

And today I happened to notice that your Sox were crushed by the Stros in a massive landslide score. (More like a football score, but still a landslide.) :(

Yeah, that was yesterday.  Today wasn't good either.  The White Sox lost to arch rival Cleveland.  Plus the Phillies also lost to their arch rival Mets.  The Cubs beat the Brew-Crew today, which was great, but they're not going anywhere.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 08/21/22 at 12:34 am

Dodgers have taken the first two of three from the Marlins at Dodger Stadium!

Today, they activated pitcher Dustin May, who had been out for a good chunk of last year due to Tommy John Surgery, to start tonight. He performed quite well, allowing no runs at all over 5 innings pitched (71 pitches thrown). He got into trouble in the first inning but was able to wiggle his way out of a bases-loaded predicament. The offense provided 7 runs over the first three innings (including home runs from Will Smith and Justin Turner), and that was all they needed to put up a "W". O0

They still lead the Padres by 18 games in the NL West - by far the largest division lead amongst any of the six divisions right now!

Written By: nally on 08/22/22 at 10:45 pm

Dodgers went on to sweep the Marlins yesterday, defeating them by a touchdown, 10-3!

Tonight they welcome in the Brew Crew, who last played at Dodger Stadium at the end of the regular season last year… and were swept. Let’s see if the Dodgers can continue their home success against them.
On last check, there was no score in the 4th inning.

Written By: nally on 08/22/22 at 10:56 pm

On last check, there was no score in the 4th inning.

Ooh, I spoke too soon. The Brews struck first in said inning and lead 1-0. :( There has been no change in score, and now it’s the 6th.

Written By: nally on 08/23/22 at 8:07 pm

Ooh, I spoke too soon. The Brews struck first in said inning and lead 1-0. :( There has been no change in score, and now it’s the 6th.

And my team ended up laying a goose egg. >:( They didn’t score ONE lousy run at all!

Written By: nally on 08/23/22 at 11:40 pm

Yesterday, the team found out that their starting pitcher Walker Buehler will undergo season-ending surgery next week. So we won't see him back on the mound until sometime in 2023. :( :-

Update... he might not pitch at all in '23. This is because he underwent Tommy John Surgery, which takes at least a year to recover from; sometimes up to a year-and-a-half. So he may miss the 2023 postseason (assuming the Dodgers get there). If anything, he'd be ready for Spring Training 2024.

Written By: nally on 08/24/22 at 11:30 pm

Dodgers take the series from the Brew Crew!! They scored in double digits in back-to-back games! :D

Written By: nally on 08/24/22 at 11:32 pm

On a different note.. next year’s regular season schedule has been released, with all teams set to play each other! (This was part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement reached in ending the lockout earlier this year.)

Written By: nally on 08/27/22 at 2:12 pm

Dodgers won a seesaw affair yesterday in Miami by after taking it to extra innings and scoring 5 in the top of the 10th. Birthday Boy David Price picked up the win (he turned 37 yesterday).

Written By: nally on 08/28/22 at 11:39 am

.. but yesterday they lost, with Miami pitcher Alcantara redeeming himself from last time. :(

Today’s Dodgers-Marlins game is gonna be on Peacock, a service that I’m not subscribed to. >:(

Written By: nally on 08/28/22 at 11:21 pm

Today’s Dodgers-Marlins game is gonna be on Peacock, a service that I’m not subscribed to. >:(

But my team won to improve their record to 88 and 38! That is by far the best of any MLB team.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/29/22 at 11:20 pm

But my team won to improve their record to 88 and 38! That is by far the best of any MLB team.

O0 Crazy good!  Way to go Dodgers!

Written By: nally on 08/29/22 at 11:46 pm

O0 Crazy good!  Way to go Dodgers!

They eked out another win today, in extra innings. That’s win #89 for them now!

They are now on pace to win at least 110 games!

Written By: nally on 08/30/22 at 8:35 pm

Also in yesterday’s action: Albert Pujols hit his 694th career home run. Moreover, the pitcher that issued the home run ball to him (I forget his name) is the 450th distinct pitcher that Albert has hit a home run off of; this breaks the record set by Barry Bonds, who hit home runs off 449 different pitchers in his career.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/01/22 at 12:04 pm

Finally, yesterday was a good day for my teams.  The Cubs beat the Blue Jays 7-5, more importantly the White Sox beat the Royals 4-2 (ending their losing streak).  And the Phillies smacked around the Diamondbacks, 18-2.  :D

Written By: nally on 09/01/22 at 8:00 pm

And the DUDgers dropped two of three in Citi Field against the Mets. :(

Tomorrow they come home to face the Padres, who now trail them by 18 games in the NL West. If the Dodgers somehow sweep the series, then they would increase the lead to 21 games. I’d love to see that! :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/01/22 at 8:49 pm

Tomorrow they come home to face the Padres, who now trail them by 18 games in the NL West. If the Dodgers somehow sweep the series, then they would increase the lead to 21 games. I’d love to see that! :D

A potential 21 game lead - now that's crazy!

Meanwhile, the White Sox dominated the Royals today to win 7-1, taking 2 of 3!  :D  A feeling of relief for me, as we have tickets to attend tomorrow's game against the Twinkies.  Maybe today's attitude will carry over until tomorrow...

Written By: nally on 09/01/22 at 10:23 pm

A potential 21 game lead - now that's crazy!

But it would put the Padres far behind in the Dodgers’ rearview mirror! And it would reduce the magic number by six. (Currently it stands at 14; a Dodger sweep of the Pods would reduce it to 8.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 12:11 am

...we have tickets to attend tomorrow's game against the Twinkies...

The game was epic!  My White Sox edged out the Twinkies walk-off style, 4-3.  I must say the ending was crazy  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 10:34 am

The game was epic!  My White Sox edged out the Twinkies walk-off style, 4-3.  I must say the ending was crazy  :D

Crazy ending all right - the White Sox walked off, twice!  No kidding.  (After video review, the first one didn't count.)  Plus there was a benches clearing HBP incident in the 9th just before all that.  Crazy!  We were there; what a blast!  Hubby got some video.  All topped off with some terrific fireworks.

Check it out: https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-top-twins-with-walk-off-in-the-ninth

The one thing we've been asking ourselves is, why did the Sox start Joe Kelly when Davis Martin was scheduled?  Kelly didn't do so hot inning 1 and put the team in an early hole, but major kudos to Martin who held the line wonderfully the next several innings.  Big kudos also to Yasmani Grandal whose bat woke up and hit 2 RBIs, the second being a solo homer - we've been missing that bat!  Also to Josh Harrison "taking one for the team" having a HBP RBI.  Quite the game!

Meanwhile, the Cubs and Phillies both lost yesterday in resounding fashion.  :(  The Phillies loss smarts, as they're in the wildcard hunt.

Written By: nally on 09/03/22 at 11:38 am

But it would put the Padres far behind in the Dodgers’ rearview mirror! And it would reduce the magic number by six. (Currently it stands at 14; a Dodger sweep of the Pods would reduce it to 8.)

Unfortunately the Pads had the upper hand last nite; the Dodgers had been dominating them and musta felt a sense of urgency to score more runs. :-\\ :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 12:08 pm

Unfortunately the Pads had the upper hand last nite; the Dodgers had been dominating them and musta felt a sense of urgency to score more runs. :-\\ :(

I'm sure the Padres feel a sense of urgency (fighting to keep their wildcard position).  But it would behoove the Dodgers to keep up a strong winning track this month, as that would bode well for October success.

Written By: nally on 09/03/22 at 12:12 pm

I'm sure the Padres feel a sense of urgency (fighting to keep their wildcard position).  But it would behoove the Dodgers to keep up a strong winning track this month, as that would bode well for October success.

Yeah. Entering play yesterday, I think they may have been tied with the Phillies in the wildcard race. But the Phillies weren’t doing so well in San Francisco last night. Let’s hope that the Phils can beat the Giants today, and that my team beats the Pods.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 8:30 pm

Watching the White Sox today - one more half inning and this game could be historic!  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/22 at 8:46 pm

Watching the White Sox today - one more half inning and this game could be historic!  :D

Unfortunately, with 2 outs in the ninth, Luis Arreaz spoiled Dylan Cease's chance at history today.  :-\\  But hey - who wouldn't love a complete game one-hit shutout against our division arch-rivals, winning 13-0?  Oh what a game!!!  Major kudos to Dylan Cease!!!  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/22 at 10:55 am

Unfortunately, with 2 outs in the ninth, Luis Arreaz spoiled Dylan Cease's chance at history today.  :-\\  But hey - who wouldn't love a complete game one-hit shutout against our division arch-rivals, winning 13-0?  Oh what a game!!!  Major kudos to Dylan Cease!!!  :D

In other news, the Phillies and Cubs both lost yesterday.  :-\\  I hope the Phillies turn it around quick, as Wildcard is not a 'gimme'.  Don't like the Cubbies losing (especially to the Cardinals) but their games don't mean a whole lot at this point, except to showcase young talent.

Written By: nally on 09/04/22 at 11:08 am

In other news, the Phillies and Cubs both lost yesterday.  :-\\  I hope the Phillies turn it around quick, as Wildcard is not a 'gimme'.  Don't like the Cubbies losing (especially to the Cardinals) but their games don't mean a whole lot at this point, except to showcase young talent.

I hoped the Phillies would win too, but they didn't. I'd like for them to salvage a game against the Giants today. (By doing this, the Phillies would have a chance to leap back over the Padres in the wildcard race.)

At least the Dodgers did their part by turning things around against the Padres to regain a game on their own division lead and reduce the magic number from 14 to 12.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/22 at 11:19 am

At least Dylan Cease seems to be getting his props for yesterday's outstanding effort: https://www.mlb.com/news/dylan-cease-near-no-hitter-against-twins

Maybe the Cy Young this year?  We'll see...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/22 at 11:21 am

At least the Dodgers did their part by turning things around against the Padres to regain a game on their own division lead and reduce the magic number from 14 to 12.

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Written By: nally on 09/04/22 at 11:25 am

O0 Way to go, Dodgers!

Another win for them today would reduce the magic number to 10. That game will be on ESPN tonight.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/22 at 7:44 pm

Rough day for my teams today.  The White Sox, Phillies, and Cubs all lost.  :-\\  The White Sox and Phillies are both playing for their postseason hopes.  (The Cubbies are just playing for pride these days.)

My one hope for today is that Seattle can hang on and deliver another loss to Cleveland.  Although that's a backwards way to gain ground, I'll take it.

Written By: nally on 09/04/22 at 11:56 pm

Rough day for my teams today.  The White Sox, Phillies, and Cubs all lost.  :-\\  The White Sox and Phillies are both playing for their postseason hopes.  (The Cubbies are just playing for pride these days.)

Yup, the Giants ended up sweeping those Phillies. :( :-\\ At least the Phils have the bottom wildcard spot in the NL right now.

My one hope for today is that Seattle can hang on and deliver another loss to Cleveland.  Although that's a backwards way to gain ground, I'll take it.

You're in luck; the Mariners scored 3 in the top of the 11th and completed the sweep of the (team that is no longer the tribe). For the record, I'm pulling for the Mariners because they currently have the longest postseason drought (that is, longest timespan without reaching the postseason); and if they can't catch the Asterisks, then I'd be glad to see them at least get a wildcard.

Written By: nally on 09/04/22 at 11:59 pm

Oh...and my team won the ESPN game, defeating the Padres 9-4 on 9/4 (how appropriate?).
Dodgers magic number down to 10.

Written By: nally on 09/05/22 at 4:56 pm

Rough day for my teams today.  The White Sox, Phillies, and Cubs all lost.  :-\\

Yep, the Cubbies failed to score in St. Louie. But King Albert hit his 695th career home run (yesterday) to trail A-Rod by one! (I have a feeling he's gonna overtake A-Rod for 4th place on the all time list. With a month to go in the regular season, he might get to 700.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/05/22 at 10:16 pm

... King Albert hit his 695th career home run (yesterday) to trail A-Rod by one! (I have a feeling he's gonna overtake A-Rod for 4th place on the all time list. With a month to go in the regular season, he might get to 700.)

Inasmuch as Pujols has been Cubs' nemesis forever, it would be only right for him to reach that magic 700 - he's had that type of career.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/05/22 at 10:23 pm

The White Sox squeaked past the hot Mariners today, 3-2.  It got dicey in the 9th!  :o  But we held on.  The best news is, Lance Lynn (who had been injured a while this year) looked like his old self on the mound, after struggling some coming off the I.L.

Cubs and Phillies were off today.

Written By: nally on 09/06/22 at 7:47 pm

Inasmuch as Pujols has been Cubs' nemesis forever, it would be only right for him to reach that magic 700 - he's had that type of career.

I agree. He’s been a great player all around, regardless of what team he plays for.

Written By: nally on 09/06/22 at 7:48 pm

And my team got knocked around last night by those darn Giants. >:( What’s worse is that we couldn’t capitalize on a Padres loss to move to 20 games up.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/06/22 at 10:34 pm

And my team got knocked around last night by those darn Giants. >:( What’s worse is that we couldn’t capitalize on a Padres loss to move to 20 games up.

That stinks for Dodgers fans  :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/07/22 at 8:14 am

The White Sox fell last nite to the Mariners, 3-0.  Johnny Cueto pitched well enough, but the offense was completely ineffective.  Cueto let up one run, then two more were scored against Reynaldo Lopez in the 8th.  Not helpful  :-\\

In better news, the Phillies won 3-2 helping their playoff quest, and the Cubs dominated Cincy in a come-from-behind 9-3 gem.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/07/22 at 7:44 pm

Today the White Sox won the rubber game against Seattle, in a great come-from-behind win, 9-6 (they were originally behind 4-0).  Hooray!  :D

Phillies and Cubs (which I'm watching) are still in progress...

Written By: nally on 09/07/22 at 7:57 pm

That stinks for Dodgers fans  :(

But at least they won last night.. and the rubber game this afternoon. The Dodgers’ 94th win is the Giants’ 70th loss, which means the Giants can’t win the division this year! >:D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/07/22 at 8:03 pm

But at least they won last night.. and the rubber game this afternoon. The Dodgers’ 94th win is the Giants’ 70th loss, which means the Giants can’t win the division this year! >:D

Buh bye, Giants!  >:D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/07/22 at 9:02 pm

Phillies and Cubs (which I'm watching) are still in progress...

The Phillies won their game, 4-3.  Cubbies are still playing, but they're in a big hole...

Written By: nally on 09/08/22 at 12:35 am

Buh bye, Giants!  >:D

They are still (sort of) in the hunt for a wildcard spot, but I don't see them getting one of those, either.

Let's see if this shows up:

https://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Season-Finished-Giants-e1476274134287.jpg

Written By: nally on 09/08/22 at 12:36 am

The Phillies won their game, 4-3.  Cubbies are still playing, but they're in a big hole...

Glad for the Phillies.

Cubbies ended up losing.

Written By: nally on 09/09/22 at 12:01 am

Today the White Sox won the rubber game against Seattle, in a great come-from-behind win, 9-6 (they were originally behind 4-0).  Hooray!

And tonight the CWS buried the already-eliminated A’s in Oakland in a landslide, 14-2, to open up a four game series there. ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/09/22 at 3:47 pm

And tonight the CWS buried the already-eliminated A’s in Oakland in a landslide, 14-2, to open up a four game series there. ;)

That was fun to watch!  :D  Unfortunately, the Phillies lost yesterday, as did the Cubs.

Written By: nally on 09/09/22 at 7:43 pm

That was fun to watch!  :D  Unfortunately, the Phillies lost yesterday, as did the Cubs.

But the Cubbies turned things around today by beating the Giants in the series opener at Wrigley.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/09/22 at 11:42 pm

But the Cubbies turned things around today by beating the Giants in the series opener at Wrigley.

O0 Yes!

But that wasn't all - the White Sox bats were sleeping, then woke up not until the 9th inning today - the team put up a 5-spot in the top of the 9th, to end up winning 5-3!  Crazy WOW!!!  :D

The icing on the cake is that the Phillies also won.

Written By: nally on 09/09/22 at 11:44 pm

O0 Yes!

But that wasn't all - the White Sox bats were sleeping, then woke up not until the 9th inning today - the team put up a 5-spot in the top of the 9th, to end up winning 5-3!  Crazy WOW!!!  :D

The icing on the cake is that the Phillies also won.

and the Phillies are still alive in the wildcard race; I think they currently hold the middle spot? Or the lower one?

My team is trying to push the Padres further back as they battle it out in a rain-delayed game in Petco Park.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/10/22 at 9:51 am

and the Phillies are still alive in the wildcard race; I think they currently hold the middle spot? Or the lower one?

My team is trying to push the Padres further back as they battle it out in a rain-delayed game in Petco Park.

C'mon Dodgers - beat those Padres!

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 11:02 am

Unfortunately they didn’t do so last night. :-\\ Hopefully they’ll do it today.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/10/22 at 1:33 pm

Unfortunately they didn’t do so last night. :-\\ Hopefully they’ll do it today.

Indeed; this wish is for today.  (And tomorrow, too...)

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 2:28 pm

Yeah! Each win the Dodgers achieve in this series will drop that magic number by two!

I would also like to see the Mariners take at least one game from the Atlanta Knaves to remain in the AL wildcard tier.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/10/22 at 10:29 pm

The White Sox won big yet again today!  :D  In other good news, the Phillies won their game today.  And it looks as though the Dodgers might help out the Phillies today by delivering a loss to San Diego, if they can hang on.

Alas, it's scoreboard watching time!

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 10:32 pm

In other news, Pujols hit career home run #696 to tie A-Rod for 4th place on the all time list!! O0

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 10:55 pm

Yeah! Each win the Dodgers achieve in this series will drop that magic number by two!

Yes!! Dodgers hung on to win this one, 8-4!! O0

Written By: nally on 09/10/22 at 11:04 pm

In other games, Mariners hung on to put an end to the Atlanta Knaves' winning streak! :D This means the Mets and Bravos swap places atop the NL East again. I've been pulling for the Mariners to win games because they've gone the longest of any team without reaching the postseason and I'd really like to see them get there this year. Even if they have to settle for a wildcard spot.

Written By: nally on 09/11/22 at 3:43 pm

In other news, Pujols hit career home run #696 to tie A-Rod for 4th place on the all time list!! O0

Pujols just hit his 697th in today’s game; now he has sole possession of 4th place. O0 (He is also now the home run leader among Hispanic players.)

Written By: nally on 09/11/22 at 8:11 pm

Dodgers routed the Padres 11-2 today, which not only pushes them to 20 GB in the NL West, but makes LAD the first team to secure a postseason berth this year!! :) :D 8) This gives the team 10 straight years of reaching the posts.

Written By: nally on 09/13/22 at 8:20 pm

Dodgers routed the Padres 11-2 today, which not only pushes them to 20 GB in the NL West, but makes LAD the first team to secure a postseason berth this year!! :) :D 8) This gives the team 10 straight years of reaching the posts.

They confirmed their postseason ticket by blanking the Dbacks in Arizona 6-0 last night.

Today: If they win, and/or the Padres lose in Seattle, then the Dodgers will be the first team to clinch a division title this year.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/22 at 9:57 pm

Yes!! Dodgers hung on to win this one, 8-4!! O0

They confirmed their postseason ticket by blanking the Dbacks in Arizona 6-0 last night.

^ This is a team getting ready for postseason - way to go Dodgers  O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/22 at 10:03 pm

Good day for my teams.  The White Sox beat the Rockies 4-2.  The Cubs, who aren't "in it", played the Mets like they mean it, beating them 4-1.  And the Phillies beat the Marlins 2-1.  The White Sox and Phillies did well in their respective quests for postseason.  Yay!  :D

Written By: nally on 09/14/22 at 12:31 am

^ This is a team getting ready for postseason - way to go Dodgers  O0

They’ve done it! They handed the Dbacks another goose-egg to clinch the NL West division! Congratulations to the Dodgers!!!! :D 8) :) O0

Written By: nally on 09/15/22 at 12:29 am

They’ve done it! They handed the Dbacks another goose-egg to clinch the NL West division! Congratulations to the Dodgers!!!! :D 8) :) O0

But tonight they failed to complete the sweep, falling to the Arizonas in extras. :-[

Written By: nally on 09/16/22 at 7:56 pm

Starting today, the Dodgers play all of their remaining regular season games within the state of California. They have one series in San Francisco (starting tonight), one series in San Diego (later this month), and of course the rest of their home games, at Dodger Stadium (all against teams which, ironically, are NOT based in California; said teams are the D'backs, Cardinals, and Rockies).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/16/22 at 9:52 pm

Starting today, the Dodgers play all of their remaining regular season games within the state of California. They have one series in San Francisco (starting tonight), one series in San Diego (later this month), and of course the rest of their home games, at Dodger Stadium (all against teams which, ironically, are NOT based in California; said teams are the D'backs, Cardinals, and Rockies).

O0 Good luck Dodgers!  I'd especially like to see the Dodgers knock around the Padres and the Cardinals (the former helps the Phillies, the latter, I just like any old time >:D )

With the White Sox losing today, I see their hopes for postseason getting more and more dim  :-\\

Written By: nally on 09/17/22 at 12:25 am

Dodgers handed the Giants a goose-egg in San Fran! :D >:D

Written By: nally on 09/17/22 at 6:50 pm

Also yesterday, Pujols hit his 698th career home run. I wonder if he’ll get to 700 by the time his Cardinals come to Dodger Stadium next weekend?

Written By: nally on 09/17/22 at 11:43 pm

Dodgers beat the Giants 7-2 in San Fran tonight to pick up their 100th win of the season!! :D O0 This makes LAD the first team to reach the century mark in wins this year; not only that, this is the fastest they’ve reached the milestone, doing so in their 144th game. There is still a chance that they could make it to 110 wins.

Written By: nally on 09/19/22 at 12:19 am

...and in a game that was televised nationally by ESPN and delayed for ~20 minutes by rain, Dodgers picked up win #101 in extra innings and completed another sweep of the Gints in the Bay Area.

Elsewhere, Aaron Judge of the NYY is now up to 59 home runs this year. Will he break the American League of 61 that was set by Roger Maris in 1961 which is now 61 years ago? With 2 1/2 weeks to go in the regular season, he just might!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/19/22 at 5:39 pm

As Dodgers fans have the luxury of not needing to do so, White Sox fans have been forced into scoreboard watching these days.  The team's postseason hopes are hanging on by a string - a thin one, at that.

In order for the White Sox to see postseason action, will have to find a way to overtake the excessively hot Cleveland team, for whom we're now four games back.  We probably need to sweep Cleveland on our upcoming three game series, no easy task, and then get some help from their other opponents.  No room for error.  :-\\

On the other hand, I don't know if we have any prospects in the wild card race.  As of now, they're out of it.  Time will tell.

Written By: nally on 09/20/22 at 1:04 am

Wow! Dodgers were leading the Dbacks 5-1 with no outs in the top of the 9th (hence the tying run at the plate) with Kimbrel on the mound, but then Gavin Lux snagged the ball to begin a 4-6-5-6 double play (which I thought was gonna be a triple play to end the game); the runner on 3rd scored to make it 5-2, but then the next batter was out to preserve a win for Kershaw. LAD is now 102 and 44! :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/20/22 at 9:28 am

Wow! Dodgers were leading the Dbacks 5-1 with no outs in the top of the 9th (hence the tying run at the plate) with Kimbrel on the mound, but then Gavin Lux snagged the ball to begin a 4-6-5-6 double play (which I thought was gonna be a triple play to end the game); the runner on 3rd scored to make it 5-2, but then the next batter was out to preserve a win for Kershaw. LAD is now 102 and 44! :D

O0 Sounds like an exciting ending!  Nice going Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 09/20/22 at 10:46 pm

O0 Sounds like an exciting ending!  Nice going Dodgers.

They're playing a day-night doubleheader today. My team came from behind (in the 8th inning) to take the opener and earn win #103.

Tonight they ain't doing so well (thus far). :-\\

Written By: nally on 09/21/22 at 11:48 pm

Elsewhere, Aaron Judge of the NYY is now up to 59 home runs this year. Will he break the American League of 61 that was set by Roger Maris in 1961 which is now 61 years ago? With 2 1/2 weeks to go in the regular season, he just might!

He hit #60 yesterday.

Today he remains at 60.

Written By: nally on 09/23/22 at 12:18 am

Woo hoo! After dropping two in a row, the Dodgers take the rubber game of a 5-game series, walkoff style! :D 8)

Losing pitcher for Arizona was ex-Dodger Reyes Moronta, who is not missed.

Written By: nally on 09/23/22 at 11:56 pm

In Pujols' return to Dodger Stadium, he has hit not just one, but TWO home runs, to give him a career total of 700!! :D This makes him the fourth player in MLB history to reach that elite milestone. It's just too bad that the team he played for last year (LAD) isn't doing their part tonight.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/24/22 at 10:57 am

In Pujols' return to Dodger Stadium, he has hit not just one, but TWO home runs, to give him a career total of 700!! :D This makes him the fourth player in MLB history to reach that elite milestone. It's just too bad that the team he played for last year (LAD) isn't doing their part tonight.

O0 Congrats to Albert Pujols for hitting that milestone!

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 11:11 am

O0 Congrats to Albert Pujols for hitting that milestone!

I'm sure the fans applauded him for that too...even though the Dudgers ended up not scoring at all. :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/24/22 at 11:12 am

C'mon Phillies!

The White Sox' current losing streak points to an "early break" - postseason is pretty much down the drain (unless by some very weird twist of fate).  :-\\  Strangely I feel much more disappointed about the White Sox than the Cubs, as I had no expectations for the North-Siders this year.

Hopefully the Phillies can stave off San Diego and Milwaukee to keep their wildcard spot (it seems those are their two threats right now; they can allow one of them but not both).

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 11:19 am

C'mon Phillies!

The White Sox' current losing streak points to an "early break" - postseason is pretty much down the drain (unless by some very weird twist of fate).  :-\\  Strangely I feel much more disappointed about the White Sox than the Cubs, as I had no expectations for the North-Siders this year.

Yeah - the Sox seem to be on a downturn; sad to say.

Hopefully the Phillies can stave off San Diego and Milwaukee to keep their wildcard spot (it seems those are their two threats right now; they can allow one of them but not both).

Yep - Milwaukee is on the outside looking in, while Philly and San Diego occupy the middle and bottom spots (in some order) of the wildcard tier. (Atlanta has the top spot; they and the Mets will win the NL East crown and the top wildcard spot, in some order.)

As for the AL side, the Mariners occupy the bottom wildcard spot right now, but the Borioles are on the outside looking in (having just taken the first two games from the Houston Asterisks). I sure hope the Mariners can win a wildcard; I'd hate to see them miss the postseason for a 21st straight year (they've gone the longest of any team without reaching the postseason). They're gonna have to settle for a wildcard because the Asterisks have already clinched the AL West title.

Written By: Contigo on 09/24/22 at 6:07 pm

Albert!
Don't know when we will see another player get to 700 home runs. I've seen Aaron, Bonds and Pujols do it. (I'm not old enough to have seen Ruth get to 700.) Was hoping Mays would get there some 50 years ago but he fell short.  If he hadnt missed all of 1953 and most of 1952 because he joined the army, he might be there too in the 700 club.

Written By: nally on 09/24/22 at 11:32 pm

Dodgers turned things around tonight and won, 6-2, to give Kershaw a deserved win. It’s the team’s 105th win of the season. O0

Written By: nally on 09/25/22 at 10:48 pm

Dodgers turned things around tonight and won, 6-2, to give Kershaw a deserved win. It’s the team’s 105th win of the season. O0

And today they won their 106th to clinch the top seed in the National League!! :D :) This means they will carry home field advantage through the NLCS if they advance that far.

Written By: nally on 09/25/22 at 10:52 pm

In other news around MLB, the Cleveland Guardians have clinched the AL Central division (sorry, AG); and the Miami Marlins have announced that Don Mattingly’s tenure as manager will end at the conclusion of this season.

Written By: nally on 09/28/22 at 7:42 pm

Two more divisions got clinched yesterday: the NL Central (by the Cardinals) and the AL East (by the Evil Empire). The NL East is still up for grabs between the Bravos and the Mets.

Written By: nally on 09/28/22 at 9:46 pm

...Aaron Judge of the NYY is now up to 59 home runs this year. Will he break the American League of 61 that was set by Roger Maris in 1961 which is now 61 years ago? With 2 1/2 weeks to go in the regular season, he just might!

He's done it! He hit #61 tonight! He is now tied with Roger Maris for the most home runs in a single season by a player on an American League team! (Coincidentally, both did so in Yankee uniforms.)

Written By: nally on 09/29/22 at 8:15 pm

Dodgers won 1-0 in extras last nite; this is win #107 for them - the most in a single season in franchise history!! :) :D 8)

Written By: nally on 09/30/22 at 8:14 pm

Dodgers won 1-0 in extras last nite; this is win #107 for them - the most in a single season in franchise history!! :) :D 8)

And now their record is 108 and 48!! This is the first time in over 20 years that any one team has gone 60 games above the .500 mark.

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 1:29 am

Okay, in the American League, the wildcard winners will be, in some order: the Blue Jays, Rays, and... the Mariners!!! :) :D That’s right, the Seattle Mariners walked off the Oakland Athletics tonight, 2-1, to break the longest postseason drought in MLB, at 20 seasons.

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 10:31 am

And now their record is 108 and 48!! This is the first time in over 20 years that any one team has gone 60 games above the .500 mark.

They achieved win #109 last night in a 10-1 rout of the Rockies. Eight of L.A.’s runs were scored in the 4th inning.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/01/22 at 10:39 am

They achieved win #109 last night in a 10-1 rout of the Rockies. Eight of L.A.’s runs were scored in the 4th inning.

O0 That's some crazy-good record.  Way to go, Dodgers!

Okay, in the American League, the wildcard winners will be, in some order: the Blue Jays, Rays, and... the Mariners!!! :) :D That’s right, the Seattle Mariners walked off the Oakland Athletics tonight, 2-1, to break the longest postseason drought in MLB, at 20 seasons.

O0 Congrats to Seattle!

Meanwhile, pulling hard for Philly to maintain their NL wildcard spot and stave off the hated Brewers.  It didn't help Philly letting themselves get swept by the Cubbies  :-\\  (I almost never root against the Cubbies, except I did in this one special circumstance).  Hang in there, Phillly...

Written By: nally on 10/01/22 at 3:15 pm

O0 That's some crazy-good record.  Way to go, Dodgers!

Yep, I'm not even sure if any National League team has reached 110 wins in a 162-game season. (The Cubs won 116 in the year 1906, but that was long before the regular season expanded to 162 games.) What's more, the Dodgers have clinched the best record in all of MLB, with help from the Tampa Bay Rays, who beat the Houston Asterisks (who have clinched the top seed in the AL).

O0 Congrats to Seattle!

Yes, I'm very glad that they were able to secure a postseason spot this time.

Meanwhile, pulling hard for Philly to maintain their NL wildcard spot and stave off the hated Brewers.  It didn't help Philly letting themselves get swept by the Cubbies  :-\\  (I almost never root against the Cubbies, except I did in this one special circumstance).  Hang in there, Phillly...

And now the Phillies are the team with the longest postseason drought. They haven't gotten there since winning the NL East division in 2011. Currently they hold a wildcard spot, but they haven't clinched it yet. If they do so this year, then that'll end their drought.

Written By: nally on 10/02/22 at 3:35 pm

The only division still not yet clinched is the NL East. Either the Braves or the Mets will win it (with the other team getting the top NL wildcard spot). The teams conclude their series against each other (in Atlanta) tonight on ESPN; the Braves have taken the first two to move into sole possession of the division lead. It could come down to the last day. However, if the teams are tied at the end of Closing Day (which is Wednesday), then the division crown will go to whichever team wins the season series.

Written By: nally on 10/02/22 at 10:51 pm

Yep, I'm not even sure if any National League team has reached 110 wins in a 162-game season. (The Cubs won 116 in the year 1906, but that was long before the regular season expanded to 162 games.) What's more, the Dodgers have clinched the best record in all of MLB, with help from the Tampa Bay Rays, who beat the Houston Asterisks (who have clinched the top seed in the AL).

But today they could not get win #111. The last-place Rockies (whom the Dodgers have owned at Dodger Stadium in recent years) struck back.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/03/22 at 10:46 pm

...pulling hard for Philly to maintain their NL wildcard spot and stave off the hated Brewers....

By virtue of their win over Houston today, the Phillies clinched their NL wildcard spot and sent the Brewers packing!  :D  Phillies drought no more.

Depending on how they stack up against the Padres, the Phillies will challenge either the Cardinals or else the lower of Braves/Mets.

Written By: nally on 10/03/22 at 11:51 pm

By virtue of their win over Houston today, the Phillies clinched their NL wildcard spot and sent the Brewers packing!  :D  Phillies drought no more.

Depending on how they stack up against the Padres, the Phillies will challenge either the Cardinals or else the lower of Braves/Mets.

Yep, we now know which 12 teams are qualifying for this year’s postseason! The placement of some of them, however, is still undecided.

Written By: nally on 10/04/22 at 9:48 pm

Judge hit #62 today!! He is now the single-season home run leader amongst American League players!!

Written By: nally on 10/04/22 at 11:53 pm

I am disgusted with my Boys In Blue for dropping three straight to a last-place team. >:( This is NOT how a postseason-bound team is supposed to play.

They have one more game, tomorrow. They dang better win it!

Written By: Contigo on 10/05/22 at 3:19 pm

Judge hit #62 today!! He is now the single-season home run leader amongst American League players!!

Roger Maris hit 61 in '61 and it took 61 years to break his record.

Written By: nally on 10/05/22 at 9:10 pm

Roger Maris hit 61 in '61 and it took 61 years to break his record.

Yup! It was meant to be, I guess.

Written By: nally on 10/05/22 at 9:11 pm

I am disgusted with my Boys In Blue for dropping three straight to a last-place team. >:( This is NOT how a postseason-bound team is supposed to play.

They have one more game, tomorrow. They dang better win it!

Good news, they won their final game of the season today for win #111. 8)

Written By: nally on 10/05/22 at 11:13 pm

So anyways...all the playoff spots have been clinched. The Dodgers and Braves have earned first-round byes in the NL; the Asterisks and Yankees have done so in the AL.

The Wildcard Series (best two of three) will start this Friday, with all four serieses in action; they will end by Sunday if a third game is necessary in any of them.

National League:
#5 San Diego Padres at #4 New York Mets (winner faces the Dodgers)
#6 Philadelphia Phillies at #3 St. Louis Cardinals (winner faces the Braves)

American League:
#5 Seattle Mariners at #4 Toronto Bluejays (winner faces the Asterisks)
#6 Tampa Bay Rays at #3 Cleveland Guardians (winner faces the Yankees)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/05/22 at 11:23 pm

So anyways...all the playoff spots have been clinched. The Dodgers and Braves have earned first-round byes in the NL; the Asterisks and Yankees have done so in the AL.

The Wildcard Series (best two of three) will start this Friday, with all four serieses in action; they will end by Sunday if a third game is necessary in any of them.

National League:
#5 San Diego Padres at #4 New York Mets (winner faces the Dodgers)
#6 Philadelphia Phillies at #3 St. Louis Cardinals (winner faces the Braves)

American League:
#5 Seattle Mariners at #4 Toronto Bluejays (winner faces the Asterisks)
#6 Tampa Bay Rays at #3 Cleveland Guardians (winner faces the Yankees)

Thanks!  :)

Written By: nally on 10/05/22 at 11:28 pm

Thanks!  :)

And I assume you'll be rooting for the Phillies in the PHI-STL series?

As for me, I'm fine with most of the teams involved in the Wildcard; I just know that whichever team wins the SEA-TOR series, I'll be cheering for them to eliminate the Asterisks in that half of the ALDS.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/07/22 at 2:16 pm

And I assume you'll be rooting for the Phillies in the PHI-STL series?...

No doubt!  GO, Phillies!!!

Written By: nally on 10/07/22 at 7:16 pm

They won their game today, 6-3!!

Cleveland beat Tampa, 2-1; and the Mariners blanked the Jays 4-0. The last game, Padres at Mets, is currently in progress.

Written By: nally on 10/07/22 at 10:56 pm

So, all four Game Ones of the Wildcard Series are in the books now. Padres beat the Mets 7-1 at Citi Field.

Written By: nally on 10/08/22 at 3:47 pm

It is now the 14th inning of the Rays-Guardians game, and there’s still no score.

Written By: nally on 10/08/22 at 5:38 pm

It is now the 14th inning of the Rays-Guardians game, and there’s still no score.

Well whaddya know, the Clevelands walked it off in the 15th...off of former Cleveland pitcher Corey Kluber.

Written By: nally on 10/08/22 at 8:22 pm

And in the other AL game, the Toronto Jays were leading the Seattle Mariners 8-1 entering the sixth inning, but the Mariners came back in a big way to ultimately win the game 10-9. So the Mariners are moving on. They will face the Houston Asterisks in the ALDS. The other half of the ALDS will be Cleveland vs NYY. The stage is set for that.

Now the NL games are in progress.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/08/22 at 11:12 pm

Phillies won - WOO HOO!!!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/08/22 at 11:15 pm

Phillies won - WOO HOO!!!  :D  :D  :D

Yep! O0 They've punched their ticket to Atlanta for that half of the NLDS!

The Mets also won, defeating the Padres 7-3, making only one game necessary tomorrow. Winner of that game goes to play the Dodgers.

Written By: nally on 10/09/22 at 9:56 pm

The Mets also won, defeating the Padres 7-3, making only one game necessary tomorrow. Winner of that game goes to play the Dodgers.

But tonight the Mets laid a goose-egg, which means that the Dodgers will welcome in the Padres for the NLDS. Rematch of that of two years ago!!

So now the stage is set for the entire LDS!

Written By: nally on 10/12/22 at 12:25 am

Okay, the first day of LDS games is now in the books!

NLDS: Phillies narrowly hung on to beat the Braves 7-6 in Atlanta.
Later on, Dodgers scored five runs early to chase Padres starter Michael Clevinger and give their own starter Julio Urias some good support...but then the Pods scored three runs of their own after that, and the bullpen battled the rest of the way to secure a 5-3 victory for LAD! :)

ALDS: Asterisks walk it off with a three-run homer against the Mariners to win the opener 8-7. >:(
Evil Empire outdoes the Guardians 4-1.

Written By: nally on 10/12/22 at 11:19 pm

Only NLDS games are being played today. (The ALDSes will resume tomorrow, and be idle again on Friday.)

In the first Game Two, Braves strike back against the Phillies and hand them a goose-egg, defeating them 3-0. So a Game Four will be necessary on Saturday.

Meanwhile, it looks like the Pods are also in "strikeback" mode against my beloved Boys In Blue. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/12/22 at 11:46 pm

In the first Game Two, Braves strike back against the Phillies and hand them a goose-egg, defeating them 3-0. So a Game Four will be necessary on Saturday.

Meanwhile, it looks like the Pods are also in "strikeback" mode against my beloved Boys In Blue. >:(

:( 

Written By: nally on 10/13/22 at 12:54 am

Yup, the Pods ended up turning the tables on the Dudgers (score-wise, that is).

This means both NLDSes will require a Game Four.

Written By: nally on 10/13/22 at 11:35 pm

Btw, only one game was played today: Asterisks beat the Mariners again, so now the Seattles have two strikes against them as the series heads to the Pacific Northwest. :o It's do or die for them come Saturday.

Cleveland at NYY postponed til tomorrow on account of inclement weather.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/14/22 at 6:59 pm

Phillies won today!  WOO HOO!!!  :D

Written By: nally on 10/14/22 at 7:47 pm

Phillies won today!  WOO HOO!!!  :D

Which means they go up 2-1 in their series!!

I’d like for them to face my team (LAD) in the NLCS, but my team has to do their part to get there. The teams met in said series in both 2008 and 2009, but Philly prevailed both times.

Written By: nally on 10/14/22 at 7:48 pm

Cleveland prevailed over NYY in their makeup game today, tying that series 1-1.

Written By: nally on 10/14/22 at 11:27 pm

Ugh...I don't want those PADRES moving on to the NLCS https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gifhttps://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif
The Boys In Blue beat them in the standings by 22 games! I don't wanna see it go down the drain this weekend! >:(

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 1:58 am

Ugh...I don't want those PADRES moving on to the NLCS https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gifhttps://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif https://content.boards.atlantafalcons.com/emoticons/default_emot-bang.gif
The Boys In Blue beat them in the standings by 22 games! I don't wanna see it go down the drain this weekend! >:(

Dudgers better get their act together tomorrow. They cannot afford to lose again this year.

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 4:26 pm

Looks like the Phillies are gonna be the first team to punch their ticket to the LCS this year. They're this close to finishing off the defending champion Braves.

So this means that for a 22nd straight year, there won't be a repeat champion (that is, no one team will have WS titles in back-to-back years).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/15/22 at 4:33 pm

Looks like the Phillies are gonna be the first team to punch their ticket to the LCS this year. They're this close to finishing off the defending champion Braves.

So this means that for a 22nd straight year, there won't be a repeat champion (that is, no WS titles in back-to-back years).

Phillies 8 Braves 3.  Final.  Enough said  :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 5:35 pm

Phillies 8 Braves 3.  Final.  Enough said  :D  :D  :D

Yup, they’ve done it! First NLCS trip for the Phillies in 12 years.

If the Pods get in on the other side, I think I’m gonna cheer for the Phils.

Written By: nally on 10/15/22 at 11:31 pm

Darn it, those Houston Asterisks won it in 18 innings. >:( That means they go to the ALCS, and the Mariners' season is over. :-[

So I will either root for Cleveland or the Yankees, whichever one of those teams gets in. (Cleveland won Game Three today.)

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 1:18 am

Ugh, I am so disgusted with them DUDgers! >:(

They had a 3-0 lead into the 6th (?) inning, but then those darn Padres started getting hit after hit off LAD relievers. The lead ultimately evaporated. My only analysis of that sequence could be summed up in one way:

IffWSutMxBk

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/16/22 at 11:34 am

Ugh, I am so disgusted with them DUDgers! >:(

Sorry it went like that - most unexpected.  Condolences  :(

Darn it, those Houston Asterisks won it in 18 innings. >:( That means they go to the ALCS, and the Mariners' season is over. :-[

BOO, Astros!!!  >:(

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 12:59 pm

Sorry it went like that - most unexpected.  Condolences  :(

Yeah, especially after they won 111 regular season games and ran away with the division title, achieving a 22-game lead over the Pods. Now the Pods get their revenge. >:( I wasn’t actively watching the game (although it was showing on a tv screen in a restaurant I went to last nite), but I did find out that starting pitcher Tyler Anderson pitched damn well thru 5 innings and left with a 3-0 lead. But the bullpen effed it up; this ain’t the first time this has happened. Many people on Facebook strongly believed that Dave Roberts shoulda left Anderson in for at least one more inning, and if he started to falter a bit, THEN bring in a new pitcher. Then we might’ve preserved our lead and stayed alive for a Game Five today in L.A.

But unfortunately, it all fell apart. Now I have to cheer for the Phillies to Punish the Padres!

BOO, Astros!!!  >:(

And I will root for either the Yankees or Guardians to Annihilate the Asstros!

Written By: nally on 10/16/22 at 10:47 pm

Well...a decisive Game Five will be necessary tomorrow at Yankee Stadium, because the Evil Empire struck back against the Clevelands tonight in Progressive Field. Gerritt Cole pitched well for NYY.

Whichever team wins tomorrow will face the Asterisks.

Written By: nally on 10/17/22 at 9:46 pm

The ALDS finale has been called on account of inclement weather in the Bronx.

It'll be rescheduled for tomorrow, when the NLCS is supposed to start.

If Cleveland had won yesterday instead of NYY, this would have been avoided. Still, whichever team wins, I will root for them to beat the Trashtros.

Written By: nally on 10/18/22 at 7:41 pm

LDS play is finally over with; Yankees have defeated the Guardians. (Therefore I must root for the Evil Empire to beat the Asterisks.)

Now it’s time for the NLCS; Game One is underway in San Diego. Go Phillies!

(Basically I’m hoping for a 2009 WS rematch this year.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/18/22 at 9:50 pm

Now it’s time for the NLCS; Game One is underway in San Diego. Go Phillies!

Phillies take game 1!!!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/18/22 at 11:42 pm

Yup, they handed the Pods a goose-egg! Solo home runs from Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber (in the 4th and 6th innings respectively) is all the scoring they needed!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/22 at 12:11 pm

Yup, they handed the Pods a goose-egg! Solo home runs from Bryce Harper and Kyle Schwarber (in the 4th and 6th innings respectively) is all the scoring they needed!

Schwarber's homer was one for the record books!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/19/22 at 9:06 pm

The sweep is off  :-\\  Phillies couldn't repeat the magic today, even though they scored first...

Written By: nally on 10/19/22 at 9:38 pm

The sweep is off  :-\\  Phillies couldn't repeat the magic today, even though they scored first...

Bummer! Well, at least they have an opportunity to take three on their home field (starting on Friday). That would send the Pads packing!! >:D

Written By: nally on 10/19/22 at 10:32 pm

ALCS Game One: Yankees scored first...but they couldn't stop the Asterisks. :(

Written By: nally on 10/20/22 at 10:45 pm

ALCS Game One: Yankees scored first...but they couldn't stop the Asterisks. :(

And tonight the Trashtros won to go up 2-zip. 8-P

Written By: nally on 10/21/22 at 10:33 pm

Phillies take Game Three of the NLCS! :D :)

Pods pitcher Joe Musgrove was outdueled by Phillies pitching, which was capped off by a six-out save courtesy of Sir Anthony Dominguez (who'd been unable to pitch for most of last year due to Tommy John Surgery).

Written By: nally on 10/22/22 at 10:22 pm

ALCS: Gerrit Cole did not do so well against his former team, as the Asterisks got to him and ultimately handed the Yankees a goose-egg in NY. :(

Written By: nally on 10/22/22 at 10:23 pm

NLCS: Phillies take Game Four 10-6!! :D :)

If they win tomorrow, they will send the Padres packing!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/22/22 at 10:24 pm

WOO-HOO!!!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 4:38 pm

WOO-HOO!!!  :D  :D  :D

In today’s game, they took a 2-1 lead into the 7th, but the Pods struck back and took the lead, 3-2. I don’t want them to send the series back to San Diego tomorrow! I’d like to see Philly retake the lead and finish up the series today!

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 5:20 pm

In today’s game, they took a 2-1 lead into the 7th, but the Pods struck back and took the lead, 3-2. I don’t want them to send the series back to San Diego tomorrow! I’d like to see Philly retake the lead and finish up the series today!

Bottom 8th: Bryce Harper hit a 2-run home run to put Philly back on top 4-3.

Top 9th: Things got kinda shaky, but the Game 3 starter Ranger Suarez entered in relief and got the final two outs. Phillies go to the World Series!! :D :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/23/22 at 8:29 pm

Top 9th: ...the Game 3 starter Ranger Suarez entered in relief and got the final two outs. Phillies go to the World Series!! :D :)

:D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 9:46 pm

ALCS Game Four is in progress. Tied at 4 in the 5th inning. (There must’ve been a long rain delay in The Bronx.)

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 10:05 pm

By the way..

It will go away next year. Not sure if they’ll keep it for the ’22 postseason, though.

The “runner on 2nd to start an extra inning” is not being used in the postseason.

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 10:10 pm

ALCS Game Four is in progress. Tied at 4 in the 5th inning. (There must’ve been a long rain delay in The Bronx.)

Update: Yankees took the lead in the 6th inning! They now lead the Stros 5-4.

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 10:27 pm

Ugh... now it’s 6-5 Houston, top 7th. >:(

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 11:04 pm

Ugh... now it’s 6-5 Houston, top 7th. >:(

Same score, bottom of the 9th. Literally the last chance for the Yanks.

Written By: nally on 10/23/22 at 11:10 pm

It’s over. Trashtros sweep Yankees and capture the AL pennant. >:(

Boohiss. The one time I actually root for the Yankees, they don’t win. 8-P

This means I am definitely rooting for the Phillies to win it all.

Written By: nally on 10/28/22 at 11:10 pm

So...the opening game of the World Series is headed into extra innings. Phillies have just broken a 5-5 tie! :D

Let's hope they hang onto whatever lead they develop!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/28/22 at 11:40 pm

So...the opening game of the World Series is headed into extra innings. Phillies have just broken a 5-5 tie! :D

Let's hope they hang onto whatever lead they develop!

Phillies win game 1!!!    :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 10/28/22 at 11:43 pm

Phillies win game 1!!!    :D  :D  :D

Yup! It was getting kinda shaky in the bottom of the 10th, but David Robertson got the last guy to ground out.

Asstros finally lose a postseason game this year; and they still have never won the first game of a World Series! >:D

Written By: nally on 10/29/22 at 11:10 pm

ASStros strike back in game two. >:(

This means there'll be three games in Philly, starting Monday night. (This might be advantageous to the Phillies, though, because they are unbeaten at home this postseason! But then again, the game is not played on paper.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/29/22 at 11:49 pm

ASStros strike back in game two. >:(

This means there'll be three games in Philly, starting Monday night. (This might be advantageous to the Phillies, though, because they are unbeaten at home this postseason! But then again, the game is not played on paper.)

Written By: nally on 10/30/22 at 12:10 am

In the 7th (?) inning, Kyle Schwarber came ever so close to hitting a 2-run home run (which would have sliced their then-deficit in half). First he hit way down the right side, towards the foul pole, and it was originally ruled a home run...but it clearly appeared to be foul, not fair. Replays even confirmed that the ball carried to the foul side of the pole, not touching it. On his second chance, he hit it all the way to deep center field, and it was just inches from going out when Kyle (bleep)ker caught it at the wall.

Written By: nally on 10/31/22 at 8:12 pm

Game Three called on account of inclement weather in Philly. :( :-[

This moves each scheduled game to the next day.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/01/22 at 10:25 pm

Phillies take game 3 by a score of 7 - 0!  :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 11/01/22 at 10:39 pm

Phillies take game 3 by a score of 7 - 0!  :D  :D  :D

And they go up 2 games to 1 by doing so!!! :) :D 8)

The Phills hit 5 home runs in the game...all during the first 5 innings of the game. I'm glad they handed the Trashtros a goose-egg.

Written By: nally on 11/02/22 at 9:13 pm

Tonight’s game ain’t lookin’ very good :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/02/22 at 10:30 pm

Tonight’s game ain’t lookin’ very good :-\\

Written By: nally on 11/02/22 at 10:35 pm

Yah, it was lousy. They didn’t even get a hit! >:(

Looks like Game Six is gonna be necessary in Houston on Saturday night :-[

Written By: nally on 11/03/22 at 7:54 pm

Today’s game is a bit better thus far. Kyle Schwarber led off the 1st inning with a home run on the second pitch from Verlander.

Written By: nally on 11/03/22 at 9:20 pm

But those darn Asstros pulled back ahead again >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/03/22 at 11:10 pm

But those darn Asstros pulled back ahead again >:(

Phillies lose again...

Written By: nally on 11/03/22 at 11:12 pm

Phillies lose again...

:\'( :\'(

Yup, now they are the ones who face elimination for the start of Game Six.

Hey, at least if the Stros somehow snag the title, at least they would win it on their home field. But all we can do is hope for a Game Seven.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/05/22 at 10:26 pm

It's all over - the Phillies lost the series.  :(  The Phillies put up a good fight - kudos to them.

Written By: nally on 11/05/22 at 10:41 pm

...yup. :-\\
It actually remained scoreless through 5 innings. Then in the top of the 6th, Kyle Schwarber led off with a home run. Then they never scored anymore.
And in the bottom of the 6th, the Stros responded with 4 runs off of three different pitchers (Zack Wheeler, Jose Alvarado, and Sir Anthony Dominguez, although Mr. Dominguez gave up a hit that resulted in an inherited runner scoring). No more runs after that.

And for Dusty Baker, he ends a long string of wins by a manager without winning a World Series title - until now. And at the age of 73, he becomes the oldest manager to win a World Series title since Jack McKeon, who was 72 in 2003 when his Miami Marlins won it all.

And congratz to Jeremy Pena for being named MVP of the series.

Check for new replies or respond here...