inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2023 Major League Baseball Season

Written By: nally on 03/29/23 at 11:14 pm

The 2023 MLB regular season starts on Thursday March 30th...and for the first time ever, will feature every team playing every team! That's right, each team will have 29 opponents, since interleague play was expanded to 46 games per team (each team will play a rival from its corresponding division 4 times - two at home and two away - and 3 games against each of the other 14 opposite-league teams; for example, the Dodgers and Angels will play a pair of games against each other at Dodger Stadium, and a pair of games against each other at Angel Stadium). To compensate for this, each team will face each of its division rivals for 13 games instead of 19. This will make for a "balanced" schedule.

Does anyone have any predictions for this year?

Subject: Re: 2023 Major League Baseball Season

Written By: nally on 03/30/23 at 11:05 pm

I'm surprised no one has responded to this thread yet. :-\\ What gives??

Anyways, my team (L.A. Dodgers) seemed like they were falling behind early against the Arizona d'backs, but they did take the lead in the 5th inning. But they received news today that starting pitcher Ryan Pepiot (who was supposed to replace an injured Anthony Gonsolin in the starting rotation) would be placed on the injury list today, due to hurting himself in his last spring training start. The team called up Michael Grove (who has mainly been spending time in the minors; in this year's spring training he was competing for a rotation spot) to replace Pepiot.

Written By: nally on 03/31/23 at 7:46 pm

Dodgers won their season opener 8-2 after falling behind early. They scored 8 unanswered runs!

Written By: nally on 04/02/23 at 4:50 pm

In last nights Dodger game, Trayce Thompson hit 3 home runs - a grand slam, a three-run shot, and a solo homer (8 total runs batted in) to give the team a 10-1 victory over the Arizonas. (One headline summed it up as “Uno Dos Trayce!”; another one spelled out “TRES Thompson!”)

Written By: nally on 04/02/23 at 10:56 pm

Today, Noah Syndergaard pitched well in his Dodgers debut. But he couldn’t pick up a win because he didn’t get adequate run support, and one of his successors surrendered the go-ahead run to Arizona. As a result, we ended up splitting the opening 4-game set with them. :-\\ (Hey, it’s better than losing the series.)

Written By: nally on 04/04/23 at 7:48 pm

Dodgers scored 11 unanswered runs to rally from a 4-2 deficit against the Colorado Rockies and beat them 13-4 last night!

Written By: nally on 04/05/23 at 11:11 pm

Tampa Bay Rays, currently at 6-0, are the only unbeaten team in MLB right now.

Written By: nally on 04/07/23 at 9:59 pm

Tampa Bay Rays, currently at 6-0, are the only unbeaten team in MLB right now.

Make that 7-0; they won today on their home turf, defeating the Oakland A's.

Written By: nally on 04/14/23 at 9:52 pm

And it appears that the Tampa Bay Rays, after opening the season with 13 straight wins, have finally lost a game. :-\\ :(

Written By: nally on 04/16/23 at 12:54 am

Dodgers were down 1-0 to the Cubbies in the bottom of the 9th, but Dave Peralta knocked in the tying and go-ahead runs to give the team its first walkoff win this year! Best of all, the Dodgers averted a losing record yet again.

Written By: nally on 04/20/23 at 9:44 pm

Dudgers seem to be trending in a losing direction and I hope they don’t finish that way. :-[ However, after letting several good players go during the offseason, I don’t hold out a whole lotta hope. I hope I’m wrong about that.

Written By: nally on 04/21/23 at 8:15 am

Dudgers seem to be trending in a losing direction and I hope they don’t finish that way. :-[ However, after letting several good players go during the offseason, I don’t hold out a whole lotta hope. I hope I’m wrong about that.

Well, they won last night in Chicago, 6-2 over the Cubbies, thanks to a 9th-inning grand slam by James Outman.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/21/23 at 8:26 am

Well, they won last night in Chicago, 6-2 over the Cubbies, thanks to a 9th-inning grand slam by James Outman.

Indeed, I don't grouse too much about the Cubs' bullpen lately, but Fulmer had a terrible outing yesterday  :(

Written By: nally on 04/21/23 at 11:01 pm

Indeed, I don't grouse too much about the Cubs' bullpen lately, but Fulmer had a terrible outing yesterday  :(

Today the Cubbies blanked my team, almost no-hitting them (and chasing ace pitcher Julio Urias in the process) :(

Written By: nally on 04/23/23 at 12:09 am

Dodgers bounced back to beat the Cubbies 9-4. Once again, my team is back to the .500 mark. Seems like they’re on a seesaw cycle; they win, they lose. They’re hot n cold (like the title of a certain Katy Perry song lol). What they need to do is win consecutive games (preferably at least 3 in a row) to have a true winning record and have a shot at the postseason.

Written By: nally on 04/23/23 at 11:42 pm

What the Dodgers need to do is win consecutive games (preferably at least 3 in a row) to have a true winning record and have a shot at the postseason.

Well, they won 7-3 today at Wrigley!

Written By: nally on 04/23/23 at 11:44 pm

Tampa Rays now up to 19 wins and only 3 losses this season!! Moreover, their win today gives them 13 home wins in as many home games! (I think they're the only team that has not yet lost a home game yet this year.) This ties the 2009 L.A. Dodgers for most home game wins to begin a season in the Modern Era.

Written By: nally on 04/25/23 at 12:04 am

Tampa Rays now up to 19 wins and only 3 losses this season!! Moreover, their win today gives them 13 home wins in as many home games! (I think they're the only team that has not yet lost a home game yet this year.) This ties the 2009 L.A. Dodgers for most home game wins to begin a season in the Modern Era.

The Rays beat the Houston Asterisks tonight at the Trop to make it 14 straight home wins to start the season! This sets a new record for the Modern Era.

Written By: nally on 04/26/23 at 11:47 pm

The Rays beat the Houston Asterisks tonight at the Trop to make it 14 straight home wins to start the season! This sets a new record for the Modern Era.

...but then yesterday (Tuesday) and today (Wednesday), the Rays laid back-to-back goose-eggs on their home field. :-[ Against the Houston Asterisks.

However, Tampa still has the best record in all of MLB right now!

Written By: nally on 04/30/23 at 7:35 pm

Dodgers have swept the Cardinals at Dodger Stadium!!! :) :D
More importantly, Noah Syndergaard finally picks up a W in a dodger uniform. O0

Written By: nally on 05/01/23 at 10:30 pm

Phillies are at Dodger Stadium for a three-game series starting tonight; so far the Dodgers are doing well (8-1 lead in the 5th inning).

Written By: nally on 05/01/23 at 11:15 pm

Phillies are at Dodger Stadium for a three-game series starting tonight; so far the Dodgers are doing well (8-1 lead in the 5th inning).

Update... 9-4 in the 7th.

Unfortunately, starting pitcher Anthony Gonsolin (in his second start of the season, after opening the season on the Injury List) was unable to complete the fifth inning, so he will have to settle for yet another no-decision. :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/02/23 at 7:34 pm

Update... 9-4 in the 7th.

Unfortunately, starting pitcher Anthony Gonsolin (in his second start of the season, after opening the season on the Injury List) was unable to complete the fifth inning, so he will have to settle for yet another no-decision. :-\\

They went on to win 13-4, btw.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/03/23 at 9:56 pm

The Chicago White Sox beat the dreaded Twinkies today, 6 - 4.  :D  Maybe things will improve for them going forward?  We'll see...

Written By: nally on 05/03/23 at 10:34 pm

^ Good for them! O0

One of the other teams you've been following, the Phillies, just got swept by my beloved Dodger team. LAD won a matinee game on a walk-off grand slam by Max Muncy...who hit the first pitch he saw off former teammate Craig Kimbrel!

Personally I'm glad the Dudgers didn't keep Kimbrel. He just wasn't all that reliable.

Written By: nally on 05/04/23 at 9:55 pm

Tampa Bay Rays are still the best team in all of MLB right now! They just swept the Pittsburgh Pirates, who had been off to a surprising start this year (but still lead the NL Central division).

Written By: nally on 05/05/23 at 10:37 pm

Tampa Bay Rays are still the best team in all of MLB right now! They just swept the Pittsburgh Pirates, who had been off to a surprising start this year (but still lead the NL Central division).

Rays now 27 and 6. :o This puts them on pace for more than 120 wins!!

Pirates, however, got beat again, blanked by the Toronto Bluejays.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/06/23 at 8:25 pm

The Cubbies had an exciting come-from-behind win at Wrigley Field today!  :D  They scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to beat the Marlins 4 - 2.

Unfortunately, the White Sox were unable to keep the good karma going - they lost today to Cincinnati, 5 - 3.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/06/23 at 9:59 pm

The Cubbies had an exciting come-from-behind win at Wrigley Field today!  :D  They scored 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to beat the Marlins 4 - 2.

Unfortunately, the White Sox were unable to keep the good karma going - they lost today to Cincinnati, 5 - 3.  :-\\

Good for the Cubs! O0

My team, the Dodgers, is done facing them this year (they played 'em last month, both at Dodger Stadium and at Wrigley), but they are going to face the White Sox next month at Dodger Stadium.

Written By: nally on 05/06/23 at 10:24 pm

And the Dodgers just won in San Diego against the Padres, 2-1. Finally they beat them after losing the opener last nite. This is the teams' first series against each other since last year's NLDS upset.

Written By: nally on 05/07/23 at 6:22 pm

And today it looks like the Fish averted a sweep in Wrigley against the Cubbies :-\\

But the White Sox buried the Reds in a landslide at Great American: 17-4. ;)

Written By: nally on 05/07/23 at 10:44 pm

Woohoo!! Dodgers take the rubber game of the series in San Diego against the Padres! However, in the 9th they were down to their final out, but they didn't throw in the towel just yet.

In the 9th inning, LAD was trailing 2-1; Mookie Betts stepped to the plate with two out and nobody on; he hit a towering shot off of Joshua Hader, thus tying the score. And after the Pods completed a scoreless 9th, the game went to extras. Top of the 10th, LAD scored three runs. Bottom of the 10th, Evan Phillips (the Dodgers' presumed new closer) retired the Pods to close out a 5-2 victory.

Now the Dodgers can take a happy flight to Milwaukee!

Written By: nally on 05/08/23 at 10:29 pm

And today the Dudgers got beat by the Brew Crew in the opener at Milwaukee. :(

Written By: nally on 05/09/23 at 9:34 pm

And today the Dudgers got beat by the Brew Crew in the opener at Milwaukee. :(

And today it looks like the Boys In Blue are gonna bounce back; they lead 6-2 in the bottom of 9th with two outs!

Written By: nally on 05/09/23 at 9:36 pm

And today it looks like the Boys In Blue are gonna bounce back; they lead 6-2 in the bottom of 9th with two outs!

They’ve done it!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/10/23 at 11:10 am

Yesterday's fortunes went the other way.  The Cubs lost to the hated Cardinals, 6 - 4.  On the other hand the White Sox beat the rival Royals, 4 - 2.  Also great to see that the Phillies defeated the Blue Jays, 8 - 4.

Written By: nally on 05/10/23 at 10:12 pm

Yesterday's fortunes went the other way.  The Cubs lost to the hated Cardinals, 6 - 4.  On the other hand the White Sox beat the rival Royals, 4 - 2.  Also great to see that the Phillies defeated the Blue Jays, 8 - 4.

And today the Cubbies averted a sweep by the rival Cardinals.

Also, Dodgers took the rubber game in Milwaukee!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/10/23 at 10:37 pm

And today the Cubbies averted a sweep by the rival Cardinals.

Also, Dodgers took the rubber game in Milwaukee!!

O0 Good on both accounts!

Sadly, the White Sox had another rough outing today.  I'm already thinking they won't be contending this year  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/11/23 at 10:08 pm

And the White Sox got walked-off today in KC in the 9th!  :-\\  (Although TBH the team had trailed most of the game.)  Our bullpen is a mess!!!

Written By: nally on 05/12/23 at 12:02 am

And the White Sox got walked-off today in KC in the 9th!  :-\\  (Although TBH the team had trailed most of the game.)  Our bullpen is a mess!!!

I'm already thinking they won't be contending this year  :-\\

The way things are going for them, probably not.

Next month I believe they come to Dodger Stadium for the first time since 2017.

Written By: nally on 05/13/23 at 12:38 am

By the way, earlier this week, ex-Dodger pitcher Kenly Jansen achieved his 400th career save; he is currently the active leader in saves.

Written By: nally on 05/13/23 at 9:00 pm

Dodgers make it two wins in a row over their division rival Padres! (That is, at Dodger Stadium.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/23 at 10:26 pm

The Cubbies, whereas they had a nice win yesterday over the Twinkies, today got pounded 11 - 1.  :-\\

Otherwise, the White Sox squeaked out a win over the dreaded Astros behind ace Dylan Cease today, 3 - 1!  In other good news, it looks like the Phillies have been handling the Rockies in their series so far.  :)

Written By: nally on 05/14/23 at 10:44 am

The Cubbies, whereas they had a nice win yesterday over the Twinkies, today got pounded 11 - 1.  :-\\

Otherwise, the White Sox squeaked out a win over the dreaded Astros behind ace Dylan Cease today, 3 - 1!  In other good news, it looks like the Phillies have been handling the Rockies in their series so far.  :)

Yeah, I was glad that this game of the 2005 World Series rematch went the Sox’ way. O0

Written By: nally on 05/14/23 at 11:04 pm

Yeah, I was glad that this game of the 2005 World Series rematch went the Sox’ way. O0

but today was NOT a good day for the Chicago teams.

One of them was buried in a landslide at the hands of the Twinnesota Mins...who will begin a series at Dodger Stadium tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 05/14/23 at 11:05 pm

So, the Dodgers handed the Padres a goose-egg today in front of the Dodger Stadium crowd. Birthday Boy Anthony Gonsolin pitched five strong innings and earned his first W of the season.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/14/23 at 11:57 pm

So, the Dodgers handed the Padres a goose-egg today in front of the Dodger Stadium crowd. Birthday Boy Anthony Gonsolin pitched five strong innings and earned his first W of the season.

Well, good for Dodgers' fans.  Someone's gotta be happy...

but today was NOT a good day for the Chicago teams.

Indeed, it was not.  >:(    Even the Phillies lost today.

Written By: nally on 05/15/23 at 12:11 am

Well, good for Dodgers' fans.  Someone's gotta be happy...

I for one am. O0
And so is my mom, that the Dodgers won on Mother's Day.

More importantly, LAD completed a sweep of their division rival. Bring on the Twinkies! (Dodgers have won the last 10 games they played against said team.)

Written By: nally on 05/16/23 at 9:17 am

Dodgers won it in 12 innings last night, 9-8, over the Twinkies, via a bases-loaded walk!! :D :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/16/23 at 10:10 am

Dodgers won it in 12 innings last night, 9-8, over the Twinkies, via a bases-loaded walk!! :D :)

O0 Nice going, Dodgers!

Written By: nally on 05/16/23 at 8:08 pm

O0 Nice going, Dodgers!

Yup. After they blew a lead twice in the late innings (of regulation), I was so hoping they'd walk it off somehow. But in the top of the 10th, when reliever Philip Bickford gave up the go-ahead run with no out, I wasn't too happy; plus, I had to get to bed because the game was running late. But when I woke up this morning, I found out that they came through in the 12th (with Bickford pitching a scoreless 11th and 12th innings).

Let's hope they can continue their winning ways tonight! (And tomorrow.) (I'd like to see them extend their winning streak against the Twinkies in general. Currently it stands at 11, dating back to 2014.)

Written By: nally on 05/16/23 at 10:26 pm

Let's hope they can continue their winning ways tonight! (And tomorrow.) (I'd like to see them extend their winning streak against the Twinkies in general. Currently it stands at 11, dating back to 2014.)

So far tonight, my beloved Boys In Blue haven't scored yet. :-[ And they're behind.

Written By: nally on 05/17/23 at 7:57 pm

So far tonight, my beloved Boys In Blue haven't scored yet. :-[ And they're behind.

Yup, they lost last night, ending an 11-game win streak against the Twinkies.

But they won the finale this afternoon!! :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/17/23 at 10:06 pm

But they won the finale this afternoon!! :)

O0 Glad to hear it!

The White Sox beat Cleveland today 7 to 2 - nice!  But the Cubs, after dominating most of the game, got walked off in the 9th by the Astros  >:(  Oh that bullpen!

Written By: nally on 05/17/23 at 10:32 pm

O0 Glad to hear it!

The White Sox beat Cleveland today 7 to 2 - nice!  But the Cubs, after dominating most of the game, got walked off in the 9th by the Astros  >:(  Oh that bullpen!

Those darned Asterisks! >:(

Written By: nally on 05/19/23 at 12:24 am

DUDgers scored first in their opener in St. Louis, but things got worse from there. They fell way behind, with the Cardinals chasing LAD starter Julio Urias (who is supposed to be an ace, but today he was anything but). They came within one run (trailed 9-8), but never scored again after that. (In fact, STL scored a touchdown in the 8th inning!) >:(

I sure hope Urias isn't headed for the I.L.; we don't need another starter out indefinitely. I keep hoping that we don't have to settle for any bullpen games this year or anytime soon.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/23 at 10:10 pm

Today was good for both Chicago teams.  The Cubs beat up handily on their opponent today, winning 10 - 1.  (Unfortunately that opponent happened to be the Phillies, who we generally pull for.)  Not only that, the White Sox pitched an outstanding game behind Michael Kopech, who pitched a one-hit gem (likely the best of his career) through 8 sparkling innings.  The Sox beat the Royals 2 - 0!  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/19/23 at 10:13 pm

DUDgers scored first in their opener in St. Louis, but things got worse from there. They fell way behind, with the Cardinals chasing LAD starter Julio Urias (who is supposed to be an ace, but today he was anything but). They came within one run (trailed 9-8), but never scored again after that. (In fact, STL scored a touchdown in the 8th inning!) >:(

Nice to see the Dodgers prevail today!  O0

Written By: nally on 05/19/23 at 11:47 pm

Nice to see the Dodgers prevail today!  O0

Yes! They handed the Cardinals a goose-egg!!

Written By: nally on 05/20/23 at 9:32 pm

Yes! They handed the Cardinals a goose-egg!!

And today it seems the Redbirds struck back >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/20/23 at 9:35 pm

Today was good for both Chicago teams.  The Cubs beat up handily on their opponent today, winning 10 - 1.  (Unfortunately that opponent happened to be the Phillies, who we generally pull for.)  Not only that, the White Sox pitched an outstanding game behind Michael Kopech, who pitched a one-hit gem (likely the best of his career) through 8 sparkling innings.  The Sox beat the Royals 2 - 0!  :D

Well, the White Sox came up with another gem today, slightly less "sparkling" than yesterday but they still dominated, beating the Royals 5 - 1!  :D

On the other hand, the Phillies exacted their revenge on the Cubs today, a pounding to the tune of 12 - 3.  Tomorrow's rubber match will decide who wins this series.  (As we'll be traveling, we won't get to see it.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/20/23 at 9:37 pm

And today it seems the Redbirds struck back >:(

Sorry to hear that, Dodgers fans    :-\\  BTW, BOO Cardinals!

Written By: nally on 05/20/23 at 9:55 pm

Sorry to hear that, Dodgers fans    :-\\  BTW, BOO Cardinals!

Yeah; and isn’t STL still in last place in the NL Central? I know they still have a losing record.

In the AL East, however, all five teams have winning records, including the last-place Redsox, who are in San Diego this weekend playing the Padres. I’m rooting for the Red Sox to win that game, although the Pods already have a losing record of their own.

Written By: nally on 05/20/23 at 10:00 pm

Yeah; and isn’t STL still in last place in the NL Central? I know they still have a losing record.

Actually the Cincinnati Reds are now in last place in that division. They have dropped two in a row to the Evil Empire (a team that the Dodgers will host the first weekend of June).

Written By: nally on 05/21/23 at 12:27 am

In the AL East, however, all five teams have winning records, including the last-place Redsox, who are in San Diego this weekend playing the Padres. I’m rooting for the Red Sox to win that game, although the Pods already have a losing record of their own.

Red Sox beat Padres, 4-2.

Written By: nally on 05/21/23 at 5:41 pm

I sure hope Urias isn't headed for the I.L.; we don't need another starter out indefinitely. I keep hoping that we don't have to settle for any bullpen games this year or anytime soon.

Unfortunately, he is. :-[

I am disappointed that the Dudgers did not pursue any big-name free agent pitchers this past offseason. They acquired Noah Syndergaard (who is...okay, I guess) but that was all.

Written By: nally on 05/23/23 at 12:56 am

Dodgers rebounded from an early deficit in Atlanta against the Braves, with Freddy Freeman hitting a go-ahead home run as a visiting player in Truist Park to give his current team an 8-6 win.

Written By: nally on 05/23/23 at 1:03 am

On another note, I happened to see highlights of the Rangers-Pirates game on Quick Pitch tonight. Pirates won that game 6-4. One of the key moments in that game was a grand slam by a Venezuelan-born rookie shortstop named Tucupita Marcano. Naturally, the lead announcer called it as it happened. This prompted the color commentator to quip: “One-cupita, Tucupita, three-cupita, four.” :D (I thought that was clever!)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/23/23 at 9:37 pm

Today was good for both Chicago teams...

Today was also a good day for both Chicago teams.  The White Sox turned in a sweet come-from-behind win, beating rival Cleveland 4 - 2.  The Cubs also had an excellent outing today, beating the Mets 7 - 2.  That's what I call win-win!  :D

The one disappointment of today is that the Phillies lost to the Diamondbacks, 4 - 3.

Written By: nally on 05/24/23 at 12:30 am

Glad to see the Dodgers play well again today. New starting pitcher Bobby Miller was called up from the minors (as Curtain Clayshaw went on the BL (bereavement list) following his mom’s passing) and threw 95 pitches over 5 innings to earn the win as LAD beat the Bravos 8-1.

Written By: nally on 05/24/23 at 12:31 am

Final score in Tropicana Field: Blue Jays 20, Rays 1. :o :o

Written By: nally on 05/24/23 at 11:52 pm

Glad to see the Dodgers play well again today. New starting pitcher Bobby Miller was called up from the minors (as Curtain Clayshaw went on the BL (bereavement list) following his mom’s passing) and threw 95 pitches over 5 innings to earn the win as LAD beat the Bravos 8-1.

But today they could not complete a sweep in Atlanta. :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/25/23 at 8:01 am

Today was also a good day for both Chicago teams...

Yesterday was another good day for Chicago teams  :D

The Cubs turned in a fine performance behind the reliable Marcus Stroman to win 4 - 2.  The White Sox got another brilliant performance from Michael Kopech, beating the Guardians 6 - 0.  As he had a terrible start to the year (and an inconsistent last year), the trend of Kopech having excellent outings is a harbinger of good things to come for the Sox; as Cease has been consistently good, if Kopech can turn it on (and Giolito has been decent his last few outings), I'd say the pitching rotation is finally pulling together (don't know about Lance Lynn yet, though).  With the bullpen's recent improvements, perhaps it's been too early to count the team out after all.

In other good news, the Phillies beat the Diamondbacks yesterday 6 - 5.

Written By: nally on 05/26/23 at 10:20 pm

Dodgers are in Tampa Bay this weekend for a “2020 World Series rematch” with the Rays. Tonight’s game did not go well for my team; I was kinda expecting the Rays to have the upper hand since they entered play today with the best record in all of MLB.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/26/23 at 10:25 pm

Yesterday the Cubs, White Sox, and Phillies all lost!  Bad baseball day    :(

Today, sadly the Cubs lost again to the Reds, big, 9 - 0.  Thankfully the White Sox had a good day against the Tigers, dominating them 12 - 3.  The Phillies also won today over the Braves, 6 - 4.  (My one beef is today's Sox game was only available on Apple+ streaming - or the radio  >:(.)

Written By: nally on 05/26/23 at 10:32 pm

(My one beef is today's Sox game was only available on Apple+ streaming - or the radio  >:(.)

Yeah, that can be an inconvenience because many people don’t have it. And speaking of streaming services, this Sunday’s Dodgers-Rays game is gonna be on Peacock!! >:( I don’t have a subscription to that.

But I do have the MLB app on my iPhone, so I can follow the game progress on that whenever I want.

Written By: nally on 05/27/23 at 7:09 pm

Dodgers are in Tampa Bay this weekend for a “2020 World Series rematch” with the Rays. Tonight’s game did not go well for my team; I was kinda expecting the Rays to have the upper hand since they entered play today with the best record in all of MLB.

But today my team battled back, and narrowly won.

In fact, today’s game was a rematch of the starting pitchers in Games 1 and 5 of the 2020 World Series: Clayton Kershaw for the Dodgers and Tyler Glasnow for the Rays. However, neither one received a decision today.

Written By: nally on 05/28/23 at 2:28 pm

Well.. in a game that started in the morning hours in Tampa, the Dodgers and Rays played a seesaw game in which Tampa Bay won by a run (11-10). :-\\ (I couldn’t even watch the game on tv because it was on “Peacock”, a streaming service.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/23 at 11:36 pm

Well.. in a game that started in the morning hours in Tampa, the Dodgers and Rays played a seesaw game in which Tampa Bay won by a run (11-10). :-\\ (I couldn’t even watch the game on tv because it was on “Peacock”, a streaming service.)

Bummer  :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/28/23 at 11:38 pm

Bad baseball day.  The White Sox, Cubs, and Phillies all lost today.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 05/28/23 at 11:47 pm

Yeah, the Tampa Ray Bays have been a tough team this year. They still have the best record in MLB right now.

And the Oakland Athletics have by far the worst record. They’re on pace to do worse than the 1962 Mets!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/29/23 at 3:37 pm

Yeah, the Tampa Ray Bays have been a tough team this year. They still have the best record in MLB right now.

True - but we just watched Marcus Stroman pitch a dazzling 1-hit complete game beauty against TB; Cubbies prevailed 1 - 0!  Awesome!    :D  :D  :D

Written By: nally on 05/29/23 at 4:02 pm

True - but we just watched Marcus Stroman pitch a dazzling 1-hit complete game beauty against TB; Cubbies prevailed 1 - 0!  Awesome!    :D  :D  :D

Wow, that is impressive!! O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/29/23 at 10:59 pm

The White Sox couldn't keep the magic going, though, losing 6 - 4.  The game's big excitement was the return of Liam Hendriks following his cancer battle - that was something to behold!

Written By: nally on 05/30/23 at 7:29 pm

The White Sox couldn't keep the magic going, though, losing 6 - 4.  The game's big excitement was the return of Liam Hendriks following his cancer battle - that was something to behold!

Yes, I’d heard about Liam Hendricks! Glad he was able to return to the field.

As for my team, the LAD, they scored half a dozen runs in the 5th inning of yesterday’s game; that was all they needed to defeat the Washington Nationals (6 to 1).

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/23 at 9:55 pm

...As for my team, the LAD, they scored half a dozen runs in the 5th inning of yesterday’s game; that was all they needed to defeat the Washington Nationals (6 to 1).

O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/23 at 10:02 pm

Happy day for Chicago teams today.  The Cubs won 2 - 1.  The White Sox won 7 - 3.  Impressive too given the caliber of their opponents, the Rays and the Angels, respectively.

The one bummer is that the Phillies fell to the Mets, losing 2 - 0.

Written By: nally on 05/31/23 at 10:56 pm

So, Dudgers failed to complete the sweep of the Washington Nationals this afternoon; they fell 10-6. :( The bullpen wasn't any help at all, giving up multiple runs in both the 8th and 9th innings. ::) Let's hope they play better when they welcome in the Yankees this weekend.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/01/23 at 10:42 pm

Today was quiet for Chicago teams (off-days).  But yesterday was a stinker for both teams.  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/23 at 11:33 pm

... yesterday was a stinker for both teams.  :-\\

Thankfully, both the White Sox and Cubs prevailed today, beating the Tigers and Padres, respectively.  I like!  :D

Written By: nally on 06/02/23 at 11:37 pm

Thankfully, both the White Sox and Cubs prevailed today, beating the Tigers and Padres, respectively.  I like!  :D

Awesome!!

And the Dodgers just defeated the Yankees in the opening game of this series!! :D O0

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/02/23 at 11:48 pm

... the Dodgers just defeated the Yankees in the opening game of this series!! :D O0

O0

Written By: nally on 06/03/23 at 1:04 am

O0

Yup, the LAD scored a half-dozen runs in the 1st inning (they batted around), and ultimately winning 8-4. Best of all, Clayton Kershaw finally gets a win against the NYY.

The first time he faced them, in 2010, he was in line for a "W", but the bullpen effed it up. He settled for two additional no-decisions and one loss since then. But today, he finally beat 'em.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/03/23 at 9:57 pm

The White Sox won today, but it was utterly weird.  Bottom of the 10th, the Tigers managed to load the bases for Tim Anderson to bat, with two outs.  Tiger pitcher Cisneros hurled a wild pitch that scored Moncada for the win.  But the festivities were subdued, as that wild pitch hit umpire Cory Blaser squarely in the mask - immediate concerns for his condition rightfully ensued.  :( 

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-walk-off-tigers-after-bases-loaded-wild-pitch-hits-umpire-in-the-face-214133201.html

Written By: nally on 06/03/23 at 10:31 pm

And the Evil Empire strikes back against the Dudgers today. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/23 at 3:46 pm

And the Evil Empire strikes back against the Dudgers today. >:(

The White Sox won today...

But the Cubs got roughed up yesterday by the Padres, losing 6 - 0.  :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/23 at 4:04 pm

Exciting walk-off win for the White Sox today - taking a 2 - 2 score into the bottom of the 9th, the Tigers pitcher proceeded to let up a single then 2 walks to load the bases, then Jake Burger hits a grand slam!!!  :D

dYIBjCufER8

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/23 at 9:55 pm

...the Cubs got roughed up yesterday by the Padres, losing 6 - 0.  :(

The Cubbies got their revenge today, pounding the Padres to win 7 - 1.  Marcus Stroman pitched today.

In other good news, the Phillies beat the Nationals today 11 - 3.  Happy day!  :)

Written By: nally on 06/04/23 at 9:59 pm

The Cubbies got their revenge today, pounding the Padres to win 7 - 1.  Marcus Stroman pitched today.

In other good news, the Phillies beat the Nationals today 11 - 3.  Happy day!  :)

That's excellent, for your teams. My team seems to have dropped the rubber game to the Evil Empire tonight. :-[

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/23 at 11:17 pm

That's excellent, for your teams. My team seems to have dropped the rubber game to the Evil Empire tonight. :-[

Written By: nally on 06/05/23 at 7:47 pm

Yeah; I was really hoping my team could pull it out, especially with a good rookie pitcher on the mound. But it was a pitchers duel for the first five innings; I don’t even want to discuss the rest of it. :-X

Their next interleague series will be next week, when they return to Dodger Stadium to host the White Sox.

Check for new replies or respond here...