inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anybody ever get mistaken for their gender?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/08 at 5:15 pm

Just wondering 'cause as a kid I used to get confused for being a girl sometimes. This happened as late as 12 (before my voice noticeably changed), and it was especially embarrasing when a cute girl did it lol. Say, when a waitress was like "Oh is she ready to order yet?" ;D I've heard of girls with short haircuts or just tomboyish that got mistaken for boys, but I don't think it's quite as common.

I bet it would be twice as embarrasing if you're a teen or adult (both for you and the person who said it!).

Subject: Re: Anybody ever get mistaken for their gender?

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/08 at 5:44 pm

it happened to me when I was 12. I always dressed tomboyishly... but geez I had boobs at 12.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/08 at 5:50 pm

Not me but my best friends son used to.  When he was a baby he had the most adorable curly hair.  People used to comment on how beautiful "she" was.  My friend wanted to get a shirt that said "trust me, it's a boy" ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/08 at 5:59 pm

^ That's probably not a bad idea. ;D Yeah, I think people still associate curly hair with girls.

it happened to me when I was 12. I always dressed tomboyishly... but geez I had boobs at 12.

Yeah, it's like how I never thought I looked girly then (even if I probably kinda acted it and felt it! ;) ), so I didn't know what they were thinking. I did always dress boy/guyish. It didn't help that my name is multigender too.

Written By: karen on 10/26/08 at 6:36 pm

The last time was about 3 years ago.  I was in a shop and the assistant said "can I help you sir?"  :o

Written By: audkal on 10/26/08 at 8:32 pm

I've heard of girls with short haircuts or just tomboyish that got mistaken for boys, but I don't think it's quite as common.

Yeah that happened to me many times, lol.  I had a pretty short haircut between ages 7-12, and often got mistaken for a boy 'cause I happened to be quite tomboyish as well.

It was always pretty embarrassing and annoying, so I finally decided to grow my hair out again and haven't had a problem since (probably 'cause I wear makeup too).

Written By: Gis on 10/27/08 at 5:11 am

When I was little yes. I decided to give myself a number one by cutting my own hair off. I put the scissors against my head and cut, but couldn't be bothered to finish the job so my poor mother had too. When my Dad got in from work I went 'Daddy look Mummy cut my hair' and he went mental until she explained. See I was good at passing the blame in those days!  ;D

When Himself had long hair (to his waist) he was always being mistaken for a girl from behind, he is a very slim build. It drove him nuts!

Written By: ninny on 10/27/08 at 5:55 am

This happened to my daughter.When she was born up until 9 months she had very little hair.She was born in December,so when we went out in the cold I didn't dress her up (unless we went to church)Everyone would come up and ask what His name was,They were a little embarrassed when I answered Melissa.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/08 at 7:07 am

No,I'm all male. ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/27/08 at 7:07 am

The last time was about 3 years ago.  I was in a shop and the assistant said "can I help you sir?"   :o

Then what happened?  ???

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/08 at 8:02 am

not that I can recall. The only time someone called me a boy was when I was about 6 years old, and a resident at the nursing home my mom once worked at told my mom that she had a really cute little boy. Hahahaa. :D ;D

Written By: karen on 10/27/08 at 8:56 am

Then what happened?  ???

Nothing - I was too embarrassed to point out her mistake.  I just asked for whatever it was I wanted, paid and left.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/08 at 10:51 am

When I was a teen, I had a friend who was male. He once said to me, "I think of you as a boy. I know you are a girl but I think of you as a boy."  ??? ??? ???  I didn't know how to take that. I'm sure if I were to see him today, he would know that I am ALL woman.  :D ;D ;D ;D

The only other time was when I was in the service and I called the marine detachment on base. They would always answer the phone by saying what the name of the place was, their name and then, "May I help you, sir". I would always informed them that I wasn't a sir.

Yes, I am woman, hear me roar. Meow, damnit.

Cat

Written By: Bobo on 10/27/08 at 12:09 pm

At times in concert between 2002-06, I used to sing male soprano passages in small productions at school, college and for my degree, in the months before I quit college. People used to go up to a couple of my friends who were producing music for their degree and say, "Who the heck was that girl singing? I thought this production was guys only?!"

I would look slightly sheepish and put on my most masculine voice, saying "Uh.. I think it's me you're looking for." It was slightly embarrassing at times!

Written By: Howard on 10/27/08 at 1:56 pm

Nobody has mistaken me for my gender,thank god for that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/08 at 2:20 pm

Nobody has mistaken me for my gender,thank god for that.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8368/howardsfamilyrj9.png

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2945/howardinayq6.png

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/27/08 at 2:25 pm

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8368/howardsfamilyrj9.png

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2945/howardinayq6.png

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Heh,heh,I at least didn't get ID'd.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/08 at 3:11 pm

With a beard?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/27/08 at 3:18 pm

Nope, thankfully nobody's ever mistaken my gender! 

Having long hair all my life and liking 'girly' things has probably helped...  :)

Written By: statsqueen on 10/27/08 at 3:45 pm

I did when I had my hair short...so ages 8-12.  Micah has also been confused for a boy as I kept her hair short when she was little (made it easier to wash, style, and with it short and curly I was able to cut it myself).  She even has a jazz program from age 7 where Claude Black autographed it with the sentence "I'm a girl" because he mistook her for a boy--obviously he didn't do it again.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/28/08 at 7:24 am

With a beard?

No just for my gender.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/03/08 at 9:59 pm

Yes, when I was a kid my Mom would cut my hair short.  I hated people calling me a boy.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/03/08 at 10:39 pm

I dressed like a tomboy for most of my childhood but was never mistaken for a boy. There was a girl I knew who lived in my neighborhood that dressed and acted like a boy, so a lot of people assumed she was a boy. It never seemed to bother her, though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/05/08 at 8:45 am

I dressed like a tomboy for most of my childhood but was never mistaken for a boy. There was a girl I knew who lived in my neighborhood that dressed and acted like a boy, so a lot of people assumed she was a boy. It never seemed to bother her, though.

That's true yeah, I think it's no big deal (by comparison) when girls get mistaken for boys. It seems like more of an insult when it's the other way around (even if I have alot of girly traits, I'd always get really embarrased). ;D

Written By: Marian on 12/10/08 at 7:16 pm

Not me but my best friends son used to.  When he was a baby he had the most adorable curly hair.  People used to comment on how beautiful "she" was.  My friend wanted to get a shirt that said "trust me, it's a boy" ;D
at that age it doesnt mattter that much anyway.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 7:18 pm

at that age it doesnt mattter that much anyway.

No, but it sure is fun to tease him about now that he is an obnoxious teenager. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/11/08 at 1:28 am

I believe I've always have been taken as a girl. I never had a short, short hair cut so that may be one reason why. I do remember my mom telling me a story about my brother when he was very young in the early '80s had that "bowl" haircut and my Great Grandmother thought he looked like a girl. She didn't like boys hair like that, I guess.  ;D

Written By: tv on 01/14/09 at 3:04 pm

There used to be this girl in summer camp people would mistake her for a boy sometimes and she did look like it. I remember she sat next to me on the bus for a bus trip once. I just thought of her as one of the guys looking back on it. I think that was the first time I had interaction with a black female too(sitting with and interacting with a black female.)

I have been mistaken for a girl in different ways(online once, people say I have opinions from a female prespective, and that I sounded like a girl on the phone when I was younger, I guess my voice didn;t deepen then because it sounds plenty deep now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/24/09 at 11:33 pm

There used to be this girl in summer camp people would mistake her for a boy sometimes and she did look like it. I remember she sat next to me on the bus for a bus trip once. I just thought of her as one of the guys looking back on it. I think that was the first time I had interaction with a black female too(sitting with and interacting with a black female.)

I have been mistaken for a girl in different ways(online once, people say I have opinions from a female prespective, and that I sounded like a girl on the phone when I was younger, I guess my voice didn;t deepen then because it sounds plenty deep now.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. Not just because I'm feminist and sensitive, but I'm not generally interested in "guy things" like mechanical stuff. I sort of probably talk girlish too, lol. My voice changed alot too when I was 13/14, I bet people have thought I was gay once I was too deep to be confused for a girl, lol.

I've known girls like the one you mentioned too. Ironically I click really well with "one of the guys" or more masculine girls even though I'm very feminine myself.

Written By: tv on 01/25/09 at 6:14 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way. Not just because I'm feminist and sensitive, but I'm not generally interested in "guy things" like mechanical stuff. I sort of probably talk girlish too, lol. My voice changed alot too when I was 13/14, I bet people have thought I was gay once I was too deep to be confused for a girl, lol.

I've known girls like the one you mentioned too. Ironically I click really well with "one of the guys" or more masculine girls even though I'm very feminine myself.
Yeah I'm not good at all with mechanical things either although I am a car enthusiast as you know but I know nothing about fixing cars. I could tell what model years a generation of car ran from(usually its like a 5 or 6 years that a cars bodystyle will be the same and than a manufacturer wil redesign the car.)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/26/09 at 7:09 pm

I have been mistaken for a girl on occasion.

The main reason is because I grow my hair long, I hate how it looks on me when it's short.

There was one time where my hair was short and someone still thought I was a girl.

Check for new replies or respond here...