inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Interracial or different attractions?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/08 at 8:53 pm

Thought this might be an interesting thing to ask people (hope it doesn't come across as controversial 'cause I mean it in a good way).

I'm a white dude, and when it comes to black women I always thought the mid-late 90s version of Lisa Lopez of TLC, Vanessa Williams and Aisha Tyler are really cute.

Or when I was in high school I started sometimes liking soccer moms/over 40 women too. It was in a slightly different way than it would be with a girl or young woman that was a peer to me (within, say 5-8 years), but still starting finding them attractive or just I guess I thought it was cool to start being able to relate to them more equally. I kinda like being everyone's friend and getting along with different groups of people.

Subject: Re: Interracial or different attractions?

Written By: audkal on 11/01/08 at 10:01 pm

I getcha--I'm also white and I had a huge crush on The Rock (the wrestler) for awhile.  And even though I'm not voting for Obama, I admit he's a pretty good-looking guy. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/08 at 10:11 pm

I getcha--I'm also white and I had a huge crush on The Rock (the wrestler) for awhile.  And even though I'm not voting for Obama, I admit he's a pretty good-looking guy. :)

Lol thanks Audrey. ;) Yeah he's good looking, he seems really young for 47 and for a presidential candidate too. I can see the Rock as being handsome too.

Written By: Jessica on 11/01/08 at 10:14 pm

I'm married to an Asian and I'm Mexi-White.  'Nuff said. ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 11/01/08 at 10:24 pm

I can see the Rock as being handsome too.

Can seem him as handsome?  Dang, boy.  The man is HOT! :)

So you're against it? ;) ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/01/08 at 10:34 pm

^ :D Haha I'm not too into the ripped muscle look myself (I wouldnt wanna look that way, even if working out to some extent is good), but I can see his attraction.

Just a side question I thought I'd ask you guys since we're on this....

Even though I've always had female crushes my whole life and I'm not gay (even if I'm in touch with my feminine side and I'm not your typical "hard acting straight guy"), I can find other guys attractive in a non literal way. Like I wouldn't be romantically or sexually into them lol, but I might be envious of their looks or can recognize they're handsome and all.

Do any of you feel that way about people of your same gender?

I think something I envy about other men is if certain girls find them cute/attractive or just like them in general. What women themselves like has always been important to me. I could never feel as good about myself if the feelings weren't mutual back towards me, I guess 'cause it comes out of respecting and being interested in women overall.

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/08 at 11:56 pm

Keisha Buchanan.  I like her ...

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/mokhal/keisha02.jpg

Written By: Gis on 11/02/08 at 4:21 am

^ :D Haha I'm not too into the ripped muscle look myself (I wouldnt wanna look that way, even if working out to some extent is good), but I can see his attraction.

Even though I've always had female crushes my whole life and I'm not gay (even if I'm in touch with my feminine side and I'm not your typical "hard acting straight guy"), I can find other guys attractive in a non literal way. Like I wouldn't be romantically or sexually interested in them lol, but I might be envious of their looks or can recognize they're handsome and all.

I think something I envy about other men is if certain girls find them cute/attractive or just like them in general? In all seriousness that's always been important to me - to appeal to what women are interested in. I could never feel as good about myself if the feelings weren't mutual back towards me, I guess 'cause it comes out of respecting and being interested in them.
Interesting point. We were brought up as a familly to feel comfortable commenting on beauty regardless of what sex the person was. However a lot of my peers,and my brothers for that matter, did not feel comfortable with it so through our teen years we tended to reign it in just to avoid the 'you're really gay aren't you' type situation.  ::)

As I got older I didn't give a sh*t what people thought anymore and would always say 'he or she is good looking' when I saw someone who was. It took Himself a long time to get comfortable with me commenting if I saw a guy who I thought was handsome when we were out. He now realises It doesn't mean I fancy them and intend to jump their bones just that I admire beauty for want of a way to put it. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/08 at 4:51 am

I find that men seem to be afraid of commenting on the looks of other men, whereas women can look at other women and not be shy about commenting on the attractive qualities of another woman. 

As for looking at other ethnic groups(I try not to say races, as there is only one) It has been in my lifetime where caucasian(American) males have finally become comfortable enough to say openly that they find a woman who is not white attractive.  It wasn't so far in the past that it was pretty much unacceptable to say out loud that a woman other than white was good looking which is why African American women were essentially barred from the Miss America Pageant until 1970.

www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/missamerica/peopleevents/e_inclusion.html

The pageant's long history of excluding women of color dates from its beginnings. At some point in the 1930s, it was formalized in the notorious rule number seven of the Miss America rule book. Instituted under the directorship of Lenora Slaughter, rule number seven stated that "contestants must be of good health and of the white race." As late as 1940, all contestants were required to list, on their formal biological data sheet, how far back they could trace their ancestry. In the pageant's continual crusade for respectability, ancestral connections to the Revolutionary War or perhaps the Mayflower would have been seen as a plus.

There still seems to be a proprietary feeling among the different ethnic groups that will argue that there women and/or men are better looking than any other, but actually, it is personal preference that dictates to whom one is attracted.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/08 at 5:27 am

I find that men seem to be afraid of commenting on the looks of other men, whereas women can look at other women and not be shy about commenting on the attractive qualities of another woman. 

As for looking at other ethnic groups(I try not to say races, as there is only one) It has been in my lifetime where caucasian(American) males have finally become comfortable enough to say openly that they find a woman who is not white attractive.  It wasn't so far in the past that it was pretty much unacceptable to say out loud that a woman other than white was good looking which is why African American women were essentially barred from the Miss America Pageant until 1970.

There still seems to be a proprietary feeling among the different ethnic groups that will argue that there women and/or men are better looking than any other, but actually, it is personal preference that dictates to whom one is attracted.

Great post, I think that's VERY accurate. :)

Yeah alot of typical men seem to be worried that if they say another guy is cute, people will think they're gay or sissy, which is just stupid. That's true that women get away with it much easier

I agree too that interracial romance seems like it was looked down upon until the '70s (from what I know about those times). What did the youth or younger adults think of it? I'd think they'd be more open minded to it. I think society is usually slower to catch up to the times, because the "establishment" people who run the county and make the rules are usually middle-aged. In the Woodstock era that would've meant people born in the 1910s or something!

That's kinda like how gay marriage is right now, because the Baby Boomers are running things!

Written By: Howard on 11/02/08 at 5:36 am

I get along with all races,I have black friends at work and we get along like family.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/08 at 5:37 am

I agree too that interracial romance seems like it was looked down upon until the '70s (from what I know about those times). Probably not from the youth or younger adults, but I think society is usually slower to catch up to the times, because the "establishment" people who run the county and make the rules are usually middle-aged. In the Woodstock era that would've meant people born in the 1910s or something!

Interethnic romances as a whole are still looked on with a question mark.  I am an Af/Am woman going out with a Irish/Am man and I can tell you that we get looks all the time.  When we started dating he admitted to me that his friends wanted to know why he did find himself a "nice white girl".  Mind you, we were in our 40's when we started dating, we are in our late 50's now and we still laugh about it, and his friends admit that maybe it wasn't such a mistake.

Written By: Jessica on 11/02/08 at 10:49 am

Interethnic romances as a whole are still looked on with a question mark.  I am an Af/Am woman going out with a Irish/Am man and I can tell you that we get looks all the time.  When we started dating he admitted to me that his friends wanted to know why he did find himself a "nice white girl".  Mind you, we were in our 40's when we started dating, we are in our late 50's now and we still laugh about it, and his friends admit that maybe it wasn't such a mistake.

Oh yeah.  You should see the looks that older Asian people give Rice and I when we're walking around with Jason.  You'd have thought I murdered one of their relatives or something. ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/02/08 at 10:56 am

I getcha--I'm also white and I had a huge crush on The Rock (the wrestler) for awhile.

So did I!  :D

And even though I'm not voting for Obama, I admit he's a pretty good-looking guy. :)

I think he's handsome, too.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/08 at 11:25 am

my friend always calls himself blax-ican  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/02/08 at 11:32 am

4 words...

Angelina Jolie Halle Berry

I am straight but these women are very attractive...

although I wouldn't turn for Angelina J. because there's an underlying skeezy factor there that is a little off putting.

oh and there's that actress who plays Angela on Bones...Michaela Conlin

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr3/reverend_jimmy_bucket/Michaela20Conlin.png

that pic doesn't even come close to doing her justice.  I met her in person- I refused to take the pic because she is STUNNING... and I just couldn't bear it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/08 at 1:13 pm

Carlos & I had a conversation about this just a few days ago. When I was in high school, my school was about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 Latino (mostly Puerto Rican). At the time, I never saw myself dating any of the Puerto Ricans because none of them "did it" for me. Yeah, I was friends with them (male & female) but I was never really attracted to any of the boys. I think the first Puerto Rican that I found very attracted was Raul Julia followed by Ricky Martin. And then Carlos entered my life. The funny thing is, I don't think of him as Puerto Rican-I think of him as the love of my life. And yes, I do get butterflies in my stomach when he walks into the room.

As for blacks, I think what hit me was a conversation I had with one of my best friends several years ago. We were talking about good-looking black guys (Will Smith, Denzel Washington) and it really hit me. What difference if they are black or if they are white? Good looking people come in all shades, all sizes, & of course in both sexes.

As for women, I have said many, many times that even though I am strictly heterosexual, there are many women who I think are VERY beautiful-Catherine Zeta Jones & Queen Latifah come to mind. 

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 11/02/08 at 1:41 pm

Interethnic romances as a whole are still looked on with a question mark.  

Or shunned totally.  My friend's son just got disowned by his grandmother because he "dared" to have a baby with an African American.  Of course she called her something worse.  The baby is a doll, though.  She fell asleep in my arms and that is all it took for me to fall in love. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 11/02/08 at 3:22 pm

"You are a white. The Imperial Wizard. Now, if you don't think this is logic you can burn me on the fiery cross. This is the logic: You have the choice of spending fifteen years married to a woman, a black woman or a white woman. Fifteen years kissing and hugging and sleeping real close on hot nights. With a black, black woman or a white, white woman. The white woman is Kate Smith. And the black woman is Lena Horne. So you're not concerned with black or white anymore, are you? "

Lenny Bruce

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/02/08 at 4:16 pm

Good for you guys. :) Yeah, I think that kind of indirect semi-discrimination still exists in some people, like if your relative or close friend marries someone of a different race. I guess they're not actually racist towards the other person per se, but more disapproving of their loved one being with them. Especially maybe the older/over 50 generations who could've still been raised that way and have remnants of that "People should stay with their own race" mindset. Sometimes if they can see that it actually worked out it can change their attitude.

Carlos & I had a conversation about this just a few days ago. When I was in high school, my school was about 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/3 Latino (mostly Puerto Rican). At the time, I never saw myself dating any of the Puerto Ricans because none of them "did it" for me. Yeah, I was friends with them (male & female) but I was never really attracted to any of the boys. I think the first Puerto Rican that I found very attracted was Raul Julia followed by Ricky Martin. And then Carlos entered my life. The funny thing is, I don't think of him as Puerto Rican-I think of him as the love of my life. And yes, I do get butterflies in my stomach when he walks into the room.

As for blacks, I think what hit me was a conversation I had with one of my best friends several years ago. We were talking about good-looking black guys (Will Smith, Denzel Washington) and it really hit me. What difference if they are black or if they are white? Good looking people come in all shades, all sizes, & of course in both sexes.

As for women, I have said many, many times that even though I am strictly heterosexual, there are many women who I think are VERY beautiful-Catherine Zeta Jones & Queen Latifah come to mind. 

That butterflies thing, it's a great feeling isn't it?  :D I love it.

I totally agree, It's all about the person themselves, and I guess our attractions or who we like is just based on who we happen to see and what we're exposed to, regardless of who they are. Yeah, Fresh Prince era Will Smith is good looking. He's actually still not that different than he was in 1991, just kinda more mature looking lol.

Or shunned totally.  My friend's son just got disowned by his grandmother because he "dared" to have a baby with an African American.  Of course she called her something worse.  The baby is a doll, though.  She fell asleep in my arms and that is all it took for me to fall in love. ;D

That's cute. ;) Yeah it's tragic how the older generations (and sometimes even younger ones) are still stuck in the '50s with ignorant attitudes like that. I bet it was how that lady was raised, but it's a shame when they refuse to look past that and actually get to know the person, because they're just basing their opinion on exaggerated "black stereotypes" (i.e. stuff about the hood, hip hop and crime).

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/08 at 5:06 pm

Even though I've always had female crushes my whole life and I'm not gay (even if I'm in touch with my feminine side and I'm not your typical "hard acting straight guy"), I can find other guys attractive in a non literal way. Like I wouldn't be romantically or sexually into them lol, but I might be envious of their looks or can recognize they're handsome and all.

I think something I envy about other men is if certain girls find them cute/attractive or just like them in general. What women themselves like has always been important to me. I could never feel as good about myself if the feelings weren't mutual back towards me, I guess 'cause it comes out of respecting and being interested in women overall.

I can see that point, although I usually don't think about whether or not a guy is attractive. In my case, it just doesn't concern me enough, so it's nothing negative or close-minded.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/08 at 5:26 pm

I don't mind going out with a black woman,I'm always willing to try different things.

Written By: star80 on 11/02/08 at 5:37 pm

It doesn't matter what a person's race is to me if I think they're good looking and I've seen good looking and ugly people in every race.

I am white and I personally think David Justice (Halle Berry's EX Husband) is a good looking man along with Will Smith, Denzel Washington and Brandon Lee was a frickin' Hunk.....I am still so sad over his death.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/02/08 at 7:40 pm

Will Smith is HAWWWTTT!

Lol, well maybe not that hot, even if I was a girl I wouldn't think he was that great, above average though...

But yes, about the inter-racial thing, I just wish it stops being an issue. If people love each other it's the person that matters. At least, for all their faults, this generation is a lot more accepting of that and interracial relationships are comparatively common. In any case, most people will stick to their kind so I don't think there's even much risk of 'mixing of the waters', even if there is, the Venezuelans show that sometimes the results can be good, lol...Races aren't set categories anyway, but merely concentrations of characteristics.

Written By: audkal on 11/03/08 at 12:02 am

Lol thanks Audrey. ;) Yeah he's good looking, he seems really young for 47 and for a presidential candidate too.

I know!  I swore he was in like his mid-30s before I knew how old he was, lol.

Written By: joeman on 12/10/08 at 10:40 am

Or when I was in high school I started sometimes liking soccer moms.

I am starting to have this feeling to those types of women today.  I dunno what I find more attractive than people around my age, but I do.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/08 at 10:41 am

People who don't know me assume I'm white (well not at the end of the summer - I get real dark), but I have cousins that they would call black.  That being the case I could never understand what the big deal was, until I became aware of history.  The dominant group always has to find a justification for oppressing those who are subordinate, and the more subordinate they are, the more outlandish the justification has to be.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/10/08 at 1:06 pm

Oh yeah.  You should see the looks that older Asian people give Rice and I when we're walking around with Jason.  You'd have thought I murdered one of their relatives or something. ;D

http://a717.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/l_55935bf5d3506358674fe1f492db6144.jpg

FORBIDDEN CHILD!!!  :o

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/10/08 at 1:59 pm

http://a717.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/l_55935bf5d3506358674fe1f492db6144.jpg

FORBIDDEN CHILD!!!  :o

He is so so beautiful,you both have contributed well for the mankind. Thank you 8)

Written By: Davester on 12/11/08 at 12:21 am

My current SO, Joanne, is Japanese-American (born in Berkeley) but I'm not necessarily attracted to Asian women exclusively.  And, yeah, like Danoota said we used to get shifty glances once in awhile, mostly from older folks, but no problem.  After all, this is Californee...

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/08 at 7:27 am

My brother is married to a Korean lady he met while in the military.  They have two kids.  I don't see them often so I don't know if they get the looks or not.  She is a beautiful lady and the kids are gorgeous, too. 

Written By: midnite on 12/22/08 at 7:31 pm

I can't help myself.  I am a regular white guy and I have a thing for exotic non-american women.  Exotic looks are great, but more importantly to me is these women possess open-mindedness, intelligence, and a sense of humor that many American girls I have dated do not possess.  In the suburbs, we sometimes get curious stares from people, but everyone is generally accepting.

Since I am no stranger to interracial relationships, I am always on the lookout for other interracial couples.  A curiosity of mine.  Every once in awhile, I see a black woman and white man - but it is very rare.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/08 at 8:24 am

I can't help myself.  I am a regular white guy and I have a thing for exotic non-american women.  Exotic looks are great, but more importantly to me is these women possess open-mindedness, intelligence, and a sense of humor that many American girls I have dated do not possess.  In the suburbs, we sometimes get curious stares from people, but everyone is generally accepting.

Since I am no stranger to interracial relationships, I am always on the lookout for other interracial couples.  A curiosity of mine.  Every once in awhile, I see a black woman and white man - but it is very rare.

Here I am!  ;D

Written By: midnite on 12/23/08 at 9:22 pm

Here I am!   ;D

Going after those white guys?  Hahaha.  My point was, of all the interracial combinations, I rarely see African American woman and Caucasian man together.  I think it is great!!!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 12/23/08 at 9:25 pm

I go to church with an African American woman who is married to a Caucasian man.  They are a cute couple and their girls are beautiful.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/23/08 at 9:43 pm

My cousin is married to a lovely Vietnamese woman named Tam.  They live in Saudi Arabia.  I ask her if it's difficult for them especially in an Islamic country.  She doesn't say too much. 

As for myself, yes I could be attracted to a person of a different race.  Nor do I have a problem with interracial couples.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/08 at 5:30 am

Going after those white guys?  Hahaha.  My point was, of all the interracial combinations, I rarely see African American woman and Caucasian man together. 

That is quite true.  When out and about if we do see a "mixed" couple like us we always give a nod.  Weird, kinda like a secret handshake.

Written By: tv on 12/25/08 at 8:44 pm

I am italian I think Toni Braxton even at 42( I think thats her age) is probably the sexiest woman in entertainment world. Jennifer Hudson is right up there too. Gabriel Union(actress) is pretty nice looking too. I dug Tatyana Ali(Ashley on the Fresh Prince) during my teen years. Rosairio Dawson is nice looking too. I used to have a big attraction towards black women but I see some white women I liked on the dating web site I am currently on.

I don;t know I like Latino women too. I just like brunettes in general. I guess it comes from my italian heritage.

Written By: tv on 12/25/08 at 8:52 pm

Yeah Catherine Zeta-Jones is beautiful and Queen Latifah is good looking too.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/25/08 at 10:39 pm

I am italian I think Toni Braxton even at 42( I think thats her age) is probably the sexiest woman in entertainment world. Jennifer Hudson is right up there too. Gabriel Union(actress) is pretty nice looking too. I dug Tatyana Ali(Ashley on the Fresh Prince) during my teen years. Rosairio Dawson is nice looking too. I used to have a big attraction towards black women but I see some white women I liked on the dating web site I am currently on.

I don;t know I like Latino women too. I just like brunettes in general. I guess it comes from my italian heritage.

Oh wow, I forgot about Toni, but I totally agree dude, she's cute (then again I think alot of female singers are). Yeah she was in her late 20s in 1994, so that sounds right.

Yeah, alot of guys seem to prefer blondes (I sometimes do too, but it's overrated), but I also think brunettes tend to be nicer looking.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/26/08 at 5:02 pm

Going after those white guys?  Hahaha.  My point was, of all the interracial combinations, I rarely see African American woman and Caucasian man together.  I think it is great!!!!!!

There is a sociological explanation for this observation.  The historical racial pecking order has been white males, white women, black men, black women.  Since white men are further removed from black women in this order than white women and black men, there are fewer unions between them (although this is, hopefully, changing.  The same pecking order applies to buying a car (if anyone still does  ;)).  According to Manning Marabel, car dealers determine their first offer based on this pecking order.

Personally, I have always liked my women dark and sweet, just like my coffee :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/08 at 6:05 pm

Personally, I have always liked my women dark and sweet, just like my coffee :)

I'm not THAT dark, Honey.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/26/08 at 7:22 pm

I don't have a problem personally with interracial couples.  I'm more attracted to personality then anything else anyway.

My problem was always with my family, who by and large are all very bigoted (excluding my brother and I).  It's something I've always been ashamed and appalled of and for that very fact and since I never had the courage to totally disown my family, I've silently put up with their bigotry my whole life.  I suppose that would make me a bigot unfortunately because I've always been too scared to stand up to any of them.
I've always hated confrontations though.  I'd like to think though if anything was said to someone in front of me, I'd object and call them on it.  I'd certainally not tolerate any physical confrontations of bigotry.  I just don't know what to do in my situation.  It was always understood that I was not allowed to date anyone of a different race, even though I don't feel that way at all.  They are perfectly lovely and handsome men of all colors, shapes, sizes.  As I said, it was always the inside that concerned me anyway.

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/08 at 7:22 pm

I don't have a problem personally with interracial couples.  I'm more attracted to personality then anything else anyway.

My problem was always with my family, who by and large are all very bigoted (excluding my brother and I).  It's something I've always been ashamed and appalled of and for that very fact and since I never had the courage to totally disown my family, I've silently put up with their bigotry my whole life.  I suppose that would make me a bigot unfortunately because I've always been too scared to stand up to any of them.
I've always hated confrontations though.  I'd like to think though if anything was said to someone in front of me, I'd object and call them on it.  I'd certainally not tolerate any physical confrontations of bigotry.  I just don't know what to do in my situation.  It was always understood that I was not allowed to date anyone of a different race, even though I don't feel that way at all.  They are perfectly lovely and handsome men of all colors, shapes, sizes.  As I said, it was always the inside that concerned me anyway.

You don't have to apologize for your family patty its hard to make waves and not always easy when you're the lone voice of reason (save your brother) sometimes its easier to just stay silent and get through the moment.  But I think if you'd fallen in love with someone of color then you would have reacted differently. You would have either forced your family to come to terms with their racism or you would have disowned them to be with the man you loved.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/28/08 at 9:13 pm

You don't have to apologize for your family patty its hard to make waves and not always easy when you're the lone voice of reason (save your brother) sometimes its easier to just stay silent and get through the moment.   But I think if you'd fallen in love with someone of color then you would have reacted differently. You would have either forced your family to come to terms with their racism or you would have disowned them to be with the man you loved.

I agree with Q, Patty.  You can't help who your family is or what they believe.  Just be glad that you know better.

As for me, I have dated men of several different races.  Like so many have said, it's what's inside that matters.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/29/08 at 10:43 am

This is a bit off the subject, but you might find it interesting.  As most of you know, my mother was Puerto Rican, and while I get my blue eyes from her, there are lots of dark people in my family, people most of you would label black, and I was always very comfortable with them.  But up through my teen years I was sort of uncomfortable with black people in the states.  I started to wonder about that disconnect as the Civil Rights movement got going (I was all for it).  Finally, at some point, I remembered something that happened when I was like 6 or 7.  My parents both worked and my sister and I stayed with my grandmother (paternal) during the day.  In the summer we would go for rides, and always stop for ice cream.  What I remembered was that I was getting a drink from a water fountain, the ones that had that metal arch thingy.  My grandma said something like "don't touch that metal thing, you never know what black person touched it".  That little time bomb, planted in a little kids subconscious just kept ticking away until it came into my conscious mind to be discarded.  You just never know.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 5:43 pm

Women?  I like 'em all!  It's like a pack of Lifesavers!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

OK, that sounded waaaay more sexist than I intended.  Just a little sexist is what I was tryin' for!

Written By: midnite on 12/29/08 at 8:50 pm

Alot depends on family and where you live.  I grew up outside of NYC in a somewhat diverse town.  I am caucasiona and had friends of all nationalities.  I think that made me open minded towards freinds and women.  AND OF COURSE, the women have class!!!! If you bring home someone trashy (of any ethnicity) that is bad.  If you bring someone home who is CLASSY, then who cares? 

Bigotry = Close Minded = Ignorance.  Watch Springer - there is ALOT of white trash out there, so who cares about interracial relationships!!!!

Written By: midnite on 12/29/08 at 8:57 pm

This is a bit off the subject, but you might find it interesting.  As most of you know, my mother was Puerto Rican, and while I get my blue eyes from her, there are lots of dark people in my family, people most of you would label black, and I was always very comfortable with them.  But up through my teen years I was sort of uncomfortable with black people in the states.  I started to wonder about that disconnect as the Civil Rights movement got going (I was all for it).  Finally, at some point, I remembered something that happened when I was like 6 or 7.  My parents both worked and my sister and I stayed with my grandmother (paternal) during the day.  In the summer we would go for rides, and always stop for ice cream.  What I remembered was that I was getting a drink from a water fountain, the ones that had that metal arch thingy.  My grandma said something like "don't touch that metal thing, you never know what black person touched it".  That little time bomb, planted in a little kids subconscious just kept ticking away until it came into my conscious mind to be discarded.  You just never know.

Well, that is an interesting little story there.  This is obvious, but our environment shapes who we are.  People are often uncomfortable with things or people who are different.  Honestly, I am very open minded about these things, but I get uncomfortable too in certain situations.  For example, certain customs of people can be strange or weird.  For example, I have arab friends who are guys and kiss on the cheeks.  They are not gay, but I dont feel comfortable kissing them.  LOL.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/08 at 5:25 pm

Alot depends on family and where you live.  I grew up outside of NYC in a somewhat diverse town.  I am caucasiona and had friends of all nationalities.  I think that made me open minded towards freinds and women.   AND OF COURSE, the women have class!!!! If you bring home someone trashy (of any ethnicity) that is bad.  If you bring someone home who is CLASSY, then who cares?   

Bigotry = Close Minded = Ignorance.   Watch Springer - there is ALOT of white trash out there, so who cares about interracial relationships!!!!

What does "classy" mean?  I usually don't agree with people who use that term.

Written By: midnite on 01/12/09 at 7:45 pm

What does "classy" mean?  I usually don't agree with people who use that term.

Definition of "classy" per Websters Online Dictionary:
having or showing class: as a: elegant , stylish <a classy clientele> b: having or reflecting high standards of personal behavior <a classy guy> <a classy gesture> c: admirably skillful and graceful <a classy outfielder>

Its okay. We can disagree.

Written By: Frank on 02/11/09 at 11:50 pm

I'm caucasian, and I married an Asian girl. No problems so far and it's been many years.
I don't think it's wrong at all to marry or be atrarcted to someone outside your race. Why not?
It's usually what's inside that counts.

I live in a city with people from a variety of different races. Sometimes when we visit a small town (like when we were in Montana) people might look at us "in a weird way" but they might not be used to seeing caucasians with Asians.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/09 at 6:01 am

I live in a city with people from a variety of different races. Sometimes when we visit a small town (like when we were in Montana) people might look at us "in a weird way" but they might not be used to seeing caucasians with Asians.

I am African American and "go  out" with a caucasian male, when we go on vacation we try to stay in Metropolitan areas.  We once drove from Richmond to Virginia Beach, we made a couple of stops in between and it got uncomfortable.  He never thought that there would be a problem because he had traveled around the country quite a bit.  I tried to explain that it would be different with us together.  It was an eye opener for him.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/09 at 12:42 pm

I am African American and "go  out" with a caucasian male, when we go on vacation we try to stay in Metropolitan areas.  We once drove from Richmond to Virginia Beach, we made a couple of stops in between and it got uncomfortable.  He never thought that there would be a problem because he had traveled around the country quite a bit.  I tried to explain that it would be different with us together.  It was an eye opener for him.

This is something that we never encountered-because like Carlos said in his first post in this thread, people who don't know him think he is white instead of Puerto Rican both by the way he looks & my his New Jersey accent. However, his cousin is a different story. It is very obvious that his cousin is Puerto Rican-both by looks & his accent. His wife is VERY white (probably looks whiter than I do). They went to a Denny's and were refused service. Not too sure where the Denny's was but we have not been to a Denny's since that happened.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/09 at 7:36 pm

I know what you mean... I once went to training in this small Maryland town... I begged my friends (all white) not to leave me alone. I feel the looks and I swear- if I listened closely- I could hear the linen closets opening...

Written By: danootaandme on 02/13/09 at 4:51 am

I know what you mean... I once went to training in this small Maryland town... I begged my friends (all white) not to leave me alone. I feel the looks and I swear- if I listened closely- I could hear the linen closets opening...

exactly

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/09 at 10:17 am

When I was a kid (this was in the mid 70s or so), my mother & I were driving through Baltimore. It was at night and we were trying to find the highway. My mother stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. The place was run by blacks. I waited in the car & my mother talked to them for a bit. She told me that they couldn't understand why white people would stop at their gas station until they saw our Connecticut license plates. Then we saw this guy walking along the road (who happened to be black) and we stopped to ask him how to get to the highway. The local fire department was coming back from a call and asked us why we were even talking to that guy. When we told them we were asking directions to the highway, they told us to follow them and they would show us the way.

I think this was the first time in my life I ever encountered racism and I was in disbelief that it was still so strong in the 1970s. Boy, was I naive.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/09 at 11:32 am

When I was a kid (this was in the mid 70s or so), my mother & I were driving through Baltimore. It was at night and we were trying to find the highway. My mother stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. The place was run by blacks. I waited in the car & my mother talked to them for a bit. She told me that they couldn't understand why white people would stop at their gas station until they saw our Connecticut license plates. Then we saw this guy walking along the road (who happened to be black) and we stopped to ask him how to get to the highway. The local fire department was coming back from a call and asked us why we were even talking to that guy. When we told them we were asking directions to the highway, they told us to follow them and they would show us the way.

I think this was the first time in my life I ever encountered racism and I was in disbelief that it was still so strong in the 1970s. Boy, was I naive.

Cat

I think when you aren't raised with it, the first time you encounter it is shocking.  I haven't had much experience with it myself until recently.  My mother isn't racist at all, at one point when I was little she lived with an African American.   I don't know if there were any incidents because of this, I was young and nothing existed beyond my sight. ;D  This was also in Oakland, maybe it was different there.  The town I grew up in, after we came back to Utah,  had exactly one African American family and I never saw anything happen to the girl that was my age.  Recently, though, my sister has become very prejudice towards Mexicans.  She worked with a bunch that were mean to her so she is equating it with all of them.  It is shocking to hear, especially from her. 

I just wish the world would learn to be like kids.  Put a bunch of kids in a sandbox and they don't care about color, they just play. 

Written By: Frank on 02/13/09 at 2:57 pm

I think when you aren't raised with it, the first time you encounter it is shocking.  I haven't had much experience with it myself until recently.  My mother isn't racist at all, at one point when I was little she lived with an African American.   I don't know if there were any incidents because of this, I was young and nothing existed beyond my sight. ;D  This was also in Oakland, maybe it was different there.  The town I grew up in, after we came back to Utah,  had exactly one African American family and I never saw anything happen to the girl that was my age.  Recently, though, my sister has become very prejudice towards Mexicans.  She worked with a bunch that were mean to her so she is equating it with all of them.  It is shocking to hear, especially from her. 

I just wish the world would learn to be like kids.  Put a bunch of kids in a sandbox and they don't care about color, they just play. 

"I just wish the world would learn to be like kids.  Put a bunch of kids in a sandbox and they don't care about color, they just play. "

Very well said. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/09 at 4:13 pm

There was an old cartoon from back in the 70s called Wee Pals. There were these two really close friends-one white, one black-and both of them always wore sunglasses. One of the other kids made a remark how it was great to see a black & a white be such good friends. The two both said, "Who's white? Who's black?" They both took off their sunglasses and looked at each other and said, "Well, I'll be!"

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/09 at 4:25 pm

I had a boss who wasn't prejudiced persay against hispanics but she had some pretty specific ideas...if she was telling a story and people were hispanic she would whisper that they were mexican.    ie (the gardeners came, they're mexican, and they worked on the yard.

Funny thing is she was always doing that "they're mexican" whisper thing to me and my friend whose last name is Garcia!  ;D  and yes the boss knew my friends last name because she employed us both...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/13/09 at 5:45 pm

I had a boss who wasn't prejudiced persay against hispanics but she had some pretty specific ideas...if she was telling a story and people were hispanic she would whisper that they were mexican.    ie (the gardeners came, they're mexican, and they worked on the yard.

Funny thing is she was always doing that "they're mexican" whisper thing to me and my friend whose last name is Garcia!   ;D   and yes the boss knew my friends last name because she employed us both...

Funny how Spanish people are all "Mexicans".  Here in the east the majority are from Puerto Rico and a small Cuban population.  I've heard them get called Mexican or worse "Spic".  Worse thing you can say to someone when they're shouting "Go back to Mexico".  Mention they're from Puerto Rico which is a U.S. territory.

Written By: snozberries on 02/13/09 at 6:12 pm

Funny how Spanish people are all "Mexicans".  Here in the east the majority are from Puerto Rico and a small Cuban population.  I've heard them get called Mexican or worse "Spic".  Worse thing you can say to someone when they're shouting "Go back to Mexico".  Mention they're from Puerto Rico which is a U.S. territory.

yeah- I know...tho in CA it seems to be a safer assumption to make than anywhere else in the states.

Same could  be said for asian- seems people don't do to well making those distinctions either....  :-\\

Written By: joeman on 02/14/09 at 9:46 am

That is how it is in Tampa Florida, even though the majority of the population is Puetro Rican.  From my experience with PR people, they hate being called Mexicans and even go crazy sometimes.

I think a lot of it has to do with the immigration hysteria.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/14/09 at 10:24 am

Interestingly, Puerto Ricans are the only people made citizens by act of congress, in 1917 with the Jones & Shafroth act.  I guesws the gringos back then really liked us, especially as cannon fodder.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/14/09 at 12:46 pm

That is how it is in Tampa Florida, even though the majority of the population is Puetro Rican.  From my experience with PR people, they hate being called Mexicans and even go crazy sometimes.

I think a lot of it has to do with the immigration hysteria.

Yep calling Puerto Ricans "Mexicans" are fightin' words.  With Cubans they go balistic.

Hey Carlos do you think P.R. is up for statheood?  Last time I heard public opinion was split pretty even for and against.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/09 at 11:05 am

Yep calling Puerto Ricans "Mexicans" are fightin' words.  With Cubans they go balistic.

Hey Carlos do you think P.R. is up for statheood?  Last time I heard public opinion was split pretty even for and against.

I'm not sure.  Public opinion is split.  There are advantages and disadvantages to all three options.  Independence would be very hard to sustain economically.  The status quo is probably the best economic deal - all the fed bennies and no fed taxes- but it is sort of a limbo status with second class citizenship politically.  Statheood presents its own problems both for the island and for the U.S. congress, given the sizes of the PR population.  So I haven't a clue as to what will happen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/09 at 1:46 pm

I don't see statheood for P.R. in the offing, but I'd love to see it happen 'cos the Right would go ballistic!

;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/20/09 at 10:49 am

I don't see statheood for P.R. in the offing, but I'd love to see it happen 'cos the Right would go ballistic!

;D

The big question for me is not what the Puerto Ricans will vote for, but what congress will do.  That's what I alluded to in my last post.  Puerto Rico would be a bigger state than about half of the current 50 (I haven't checked the stats).  Given that, I'm not sure that even the liberals would all be in favor.  It would certainly changed the dynamics of the House.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/28/13 at 10:18 pm

I'm not one to see race or anything like that, but I love reading about interracial relationships. My boyfriend is African, actually from Algeria. But he's not Arab. He has the sweetest accent too. And well, I will just say that I'm very mixed! So yeah...it's a beautiful thing!

Written By: warped on 11/29/13 at 4:28 pm

My wife is Hong Kong Chinese. I am Caucasian. We've been married over 20 years.  Because we have lived in some multicultural cities in Canada, we haven't had too many people look at us "strangely" here, although I have heard my share of people putting down Orientals. When I tell them my wife is Chinese, they have "foot-in-mouth". ;D

When we've been to the smaller town in America, we had plenty of negative looks, as if I just peed on their car or something.  And people have said some things "Why are you with a chink?" and other things. One time we were in a restaurant in either North or South Dakota (I forget) and "what looked like" a table full of college football players (all Caucasians) were siting near to us and making remarks against my wife and I. I thought at some point they were all gonna come over, but they didn't. ...I think Canadians are more tolerant of different races and interracial relationships than America is. Just my experience.

There are people who will have prejudices against my wife ...just because she is Chinese, even of they know nothing about her. Their loss.  When I bring my wife to a social gathering, people who have that look and all of a sudden, I am judged differently than before, because now I have a "non-white" wife. It's weird but it's true.

Written By: valleyroads on 11/29/13 at 7:51 pm

I am mixed white & Native American (Ukrainian, Irish and German on my bio mother's side, bio father was unknown tribe Native), adopted & raised by a father of Portuguese and Scottish descent who claims to be descended from some of the first white people in Texas and a generic Arkansas Caucasian mother, I am mostly attracted to Asian, Latina (especially Cuban, Dominican & Puerto Rican) and most mixed races. The girlfriend I had for quite a few years & broke up with a couple years ago is mixed Mien Chinese and generic Caucasian, my last GF who I recently broke up with was Puerto Rican...

Written By: warped on 12/02/13 at 4:03 pm

I was just thinking about this, but ever since high school ended well over 30 years ago, the only girls that I have been interested were Asians, and the only girls who have been interested in me were Asian/Orientals.

Written By: Katluver on 12/02/13 at 4:58 pm

My wife is Hong Kong Chinese. I am Caucasian. We've been married over 20 years.  Because we have lived in some multicultural cities in Canada, we haven't had too many people look at us "strangely" here, although I have heard my share of people putting down Orientals. When I tell them my wife is Chinese, they have "foot-in-mouth". ;D

When we've been to the smaller town in America, we had plenty of negative looks, as if I just peed on their car or something.  And people have said some things "Why are you with a chink?" and other things. One time we were in a restaurant in either North or South Dakota (I forget) and "what looked like" a table full of college football players (all Caucasians) were siting near to us and making remarks against my wife and I. I thought at some point they were all gonna come over, but they didn't. ...I think Canadians are more tolerant of different races and interracial relationships than America is. Just my experience.

There are people who will have prejudices against my wife ...just because she is Chinese, even of they know nothing about her. Their loss.  When I bring my wife to a social gathering, people who have that look and all of a sudden, I am judged differently than before, because now I have a "non-white" wife. It's weird but it's true.

Seriously, I don't understand how people in the western world are still prejudice! Hello!?! We're in the 21st century!! Those who can't handle racial mixing should go into a time machine to 1940s Germany/Alabama.

Written By: Howard on 12/02/13 at 7:58 pm

I was just thinking about this, but ever since high school ended well over 30 years ago, the only girls that I have been interested were Asians, and the only girls who have been interested in me were Asian/Orientals.

what did they see in you?

Written By: warped on 12/02/13 at 8:58 pm

what did they see in you?

I...have...no...idea.  :-\\

Some have told me I have an honest and pleasant look, not a "bad guy" or "playboy" type look. :-\\
But really, I don't know.
Even the last few years I have had Asian girls who liked me  :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 12/03/13 at 12:53 am

Some have told me I have an honest and pleasant look, not a "bad guy" or "playboy" type look. :-\\

They can sense that you like them. Sixth sense much?

Written By: warped on 12/03/13 at 7:27 am

They can sense that you like them. Sixth sense much?

Maybe. I do believe in a sixth sense...But several times I was at a club and someone (Asian) I had never seen or made eye contact with me, asked me to dance.
It's also odd that I didn't date much at all in high school, and our high school was 95% white people. No Asian girls in our school, not even one. Why did I develop an interest in them ? Don't know.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/13 at 7:54 am

I think that's what Asians look for in some men.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/13 at 8:28 am

I think that's what Asians look for in some men.

Not just Asians.  I think most women don't go for the playboy type.  The older you get the less the bad boy type appeals.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/13 at 2:18 pm

Not just Asians.  I think most women don't go for the playboy type.  The older you get the less the bad boy type appeals.

and then you wind up later on with a gut, thinning hair and love handles.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/03/13 at 8:12 pm

and then you wind up later on with a gut, thinning hair and love handles.

It's not what's outside that matters...it's what's inside.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/03/13 at 10:14 pm

I looked for a man who could either fix my car or enough money to have it fixed.  Ended up with a guy who can do both.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/04/13 at 7:22 am

exactly Dag.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/04/13 at 7:23 am

I looked for a man who could either fix my car or enough money to have it fixed.  Ended up with a guy who can do both.  ;D

and he's your husband?

Written By: warped on 12/06/13 at 7:36 am

Indeed. And I think that is what attracted me to Chinese girls. 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/06/13 at 12:41 pm

I've noticed that older white men seem attracted to me, and I have no idea why, because I don't know what on God's Green Earth they see in me.  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/06/13 at 4:16 pm

I've noticed that older white men seem attracted to me, and I have no idea why, because I don't know what on God's Green Earth they see in me.  ???

Do they think you're hot?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/06/13 at 4:42 pm

Do they think you're hot?

They've never put it into those words, no one has ever called me "hot" before, but they like to strike up conversations with me. I remember once, in Dunkin' Donuts one morning, a man I was speaking with--I was ahead of him--ordered his meal in Spanish (Mexicans run our DD down here in Texas) and remarked about flying his private plane out to go fishing somewhere up the state. Some of them call me pretty and that sort of thing. Not "hot".

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/10/13 at 10:17 am

Indeed. And I think that is what attracted me to Chinese girls.

So ALL Chinese girls are nice ?

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 4:50 pm

So ALL Chinese girls are nice ?

I don't know about ALL, maybe the majority of them are nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...