inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Today's XKCD: #513 - Friends

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/07/08 at 1:46 am

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/friends.png

Paging you-know-who... :)

When Harry Met Sally was one take on the issue, but a lot has changed since then.  For one thing, women are a lot smarter these days.  Specifically, this is exactly what she's thinking when you say you want to be her friend. 

Subject: Re: Today's XKCD: #513 - Friends

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/07/08 at 11:18 am

Ooh.  CrypticWisdom + 24.

Written By: Jessica on 12/07/08 at 11:23 am

That was.......F**KING AWESOME.

Written By: Midas on 12/07/08 at 11:23 am

Ooh.  CrypticWisdom + 24.

And Karamel + 1.

Written By: Midas on 12/07/08 at 11:31 am

Oh, and the "nice guy" in the comic?  Speaking from past experience, they'll continue to finish last until they grow out of that BS and grow a pair.

Written By: snozberries on 12/08/08 at 10:10 pm

I just fell out of my chair  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/08/08 at 10:37 pm

::)

Written By: Tam on 12/09/08 at 9:30 pm

I hate to reply - because truly, the dead horse should be allowed to move to greener pastures....

The actual strip though - it depicts a lot of people I know right now. (I am not generalizing or pointing fingers either!)

Why is it that *some* men feel that they are completely undeserving of companionship? Why do they think that respect is all women want? Or that the way to a woman's heart is by being patient, understanding and 'there' for them? To me, this sounds like a gay man using the premise of a relationship with a woman to hide his preference. I can say this because I had to call one of my good friends on it about 6 months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that men are affected by rejection and such, but the whole "I'll be your friend" thing is nothing but a Bull in a Tutu! I tried to explain this to Alex when he was a member of the boards. The only thing is that Alex didn't want to be friends, he was just hoping to get some sort of sexual gratification out of the process. (Remember, women to him were just stepping stones.) ::)

Seriously, I rejected my hubby prolly 3 times before I even realized he was trying to make a play for me. The whole 'good guy' or 'big brother' stance is so annoying to me. If you like me, be up front with me. Don't bullshyt around cause then I know you don't have the confidence in yourself that might actually attract me to you!

Bah! I have ranted.... hahaha! Those of you reading, consider yourself bored. ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/09/08 at 9:34 pm

^ Bull in a tutu?  :o

Written By: Midas on 12/09/08 at 9:39 pm

I hate to reply - because truly, the dead horse should be allowed to move to greener pastures....

The actual strip though - it depicts a lot of people I know right now. (I am not generalizing or pointing fingers either!)

Why is it that *some* men feel that they are completely undeserving of companionship? Why do they think that respect is all women want? Or that the way to a woman's heart is by being patient, understanding and 'there' for them? To me, this sounds like a gay man using the premise of a relationship with a woman to hide his preference. I can say this because I had to call one of my good friends on it about 6 months ago.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that men are affected by rejection and such, but the whole "I'll be your friend" thing is nothing but a Bull in a Tutu! I tried to explain this to Alex when he was a member of the boards. The only thing is that Alex didn't want to be friends, he was just hoping to get some sort of sexual gratification out of the process. (Remember, women to him were just stepping stones.) ::)

Seriously, I rejected my hubby prolly 3 times before I even realized he was trying to make a play for me. The whole 'good guy' or 'big brother' stance is so annoying to me. If you like me, be up front with me. Don't bullshyt around cause then I know you don't have the confidence in yourself that might actually attract me to you!

Bah! I have ranted.... hahaha! Those of you reading, consider yourself bored. ;D

I like this girl! :D

Written By: Tam on 12/09/08 at 9:43 pm

^ Bull in a tutu?  :o

I suppose I could have said a Pitbull in lipstick.
Did I get it right? ;D

Written By: Tam on 12/09/08 at 9:44 pm

I like this girl! :D

I kinda like you too P! ;)

Written By: Tam on 12/09/08 at 9:45 pm

oOo - I just re-read what I wrote and I think I need to clarify....

It wasn't Alex that I called out, it was someone else. But I needed to use Alex as the example in the rest of my rant....

Bah - whatever!

Written By: La Roche on 12/09/08 at 10:25 pm

Paging you-know-who... :)

When Harry Met Sally was one take on the issue, but a lot has changed since then.  For one thing, women are a lot smarter these days.  Specifically, this is exactly what she's thinking when you say you want to be her friend. 

Noize.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 7:11 pm

That is hilarious....

Seriously, I always believed that the Guy's who "just want to be good friends" are fearful of commitment of any kinds ??? ??? ???

The longer they can keep someone needing them, and putting off anything serious (don't want to go "too fast" and ruin things - BS) are just trying to control the female (but hun I am the best thing you have - whoelse would be so sensitive; but we can not be together yet - maybe 3 years from now)  WHAT"S THAT????

Honestly, I knew I wanted to marry my husband very soon in our relationship; and obviously he wanted to marry me because we got married 10months after we first started dating (9 years going strong) ;D ;D ;D ;D  Either in a relationship or not; I DO NOT TAKE IT SLOW & Cautious (commit and be happy)....  MAKE A MOVE AND STICK TO IT....  Take a chance... :D :D :D :D :D

nuff said by me ;)

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/11/08 at 11:03 am

That cartoon is very Jules Fieffer-ish, but he was a better artist.  I always found him to be a bit condescending and his characters a bit off the mark.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/08 at 3:46 am

In the interests of balance...

"DragonflyBlade21: A woman has a close male friend. This means that he is probably interested in her, which is why he hangs around so much.  She sees him strictly as a friend.  This always starts out with, you're a great guy, but I don't like you in that way.  This is roughly the equivalent for the guy of going to a job interview and the company saying, 'You have a great resume, you have all the qualifications we are looking for, but we're not going to hire you. We will, however, use your resume as the basis for comparison for all other applicants.  But, we're going to hire somebody who is far less qualified and is probably an alcoholic.  And if he doesn't work out, we'll hire somebody else, but still not you.  In fact, we will never hire you.  But we will call you from time to time to complain about the person that we hired."
  - bash.org

Check for new replies or respond here...