inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More womanly fun.....pregnancy and childbirth!

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 9:03 pm

Share your horror stories or ask questions if you haven't experienced the fun of being knocked up and then pushing something out of your uterus! :D

Subject: Re: More womanly fun.....pregnancy and childbirth!

Written By: Tam on 12/10/08 at 9:06 pm

OMG Jess!!!
I can't believe you said it like that!!
Actually, I can but still.  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, some of my friends have said that the carrying of child is the most amazing thing in the world. My first question is... does it really feel like butterflies fluttering in your tummy or is it more like a wreaking ball trying to break your ribs?

Written By: karen on 12/10/08 at 9:17 pm

Feeling the baby move does at first feel like butterflies in your tummy (or bad wind).  Then, as the baby grows, to me at least, it was like pistons going up and down or sometimes like that boiling mud.  Very hard to describe.  I was lucky that both of mine squirmed rather than kicked.  A friend of mine was kicked into her diaphragm and got winded by her baby.

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 9:19 pm

OMG Jess!!!
I can't believe you said it like that!!
Actually, I can but still.  ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, some of my friends have said that the carrying of child is the most amazing thing in the world. My first question is... does it really feel like butterflies fluttering in your tummy or is it more like a wreaking ball trying to break your ribs?

Oh, you know me by now. ;)

The first time I felt Jason moving, it was just.....amazing.  I went and looked back at my blog, and I was about four months pregnant when I first felt him move.  It did feel like butterflies flitting all over the place, and I was just all, "OMGthebabyismovingandicanfeelhimandit'ssoawesome!!!!!!!"

Then as he grew bigger, he started kicking the sh*t out of me, like to the point that if I sat still and he decided to be active, you could see my stomach bouncing all over. :P

Feeling the baby move does at first feel like butterflies in your tummy (or bad wind).  Then, as the baby grows, to me at least, it was like pistons going up and down or sometimes like that boiling mud.  Very hard to describe.  I was lucky that both of mine squirmed rather than kicked.  A friend of mine was kicked into her diaphragm and got winded by her baby.

Jason used to put pressure on my bladder, usually when I already had to pee really badly.

Written By: Tam on 12/10/08 at 9:23 pm

Oh, you know me by now. ;)

The first time I felt Jason moving, it was just.....amazing.  I went and looked back at my blog, and I was about four months pregnant when I first felt him move.  It did feel like butterflies flitting all over the place, and I was just all, "OMGthebabyismovingandicanfeelhimandit'ssoawesome!!!!!!!"

Then as he grew bigger, he started kicking the sh*t out of me, like to the point that if I sat still and he decided to be active, you could see my stomach bouncing all over. :P

Jason used to put pressure on my bladder, usually when I already had to pee really badly.

Wow! See, and I am sure that the butterflies I am comparing them to are nothing to the true effect. I guess part of me still kind of wants to know what it feels like, but the mature side of me knows better.

As your baby is growing and the tummy skin becomes tighter and stretching... does that hurt? Or do you not notice it because it is gradual?

(I am full of questions)

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 9:27 pm

Wow! See, and I am sure that the butterflies I am comparing them to are nothing to the true effect. I guess part of me still kind of wants to know what it feels like, but the mature side of me knows better.

As your baby is growing and the tummy skin becomes tighter and stretching... does that hurt? Or do you not notice it because it is gradual?

(I am full of questions)

I think it was different for me because I had been overweight and then had lost weight, but my skin didn't really change.  My stomach stuck out again and was rounder, but the skin was the same because it had already been stretched out.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 9:32 pm

Share your horror stories or ask questions if you haven't experienced the fun of being knocked up and then pushing something out of your uterus! :D
Pushing through the uterus is not the painful part.... It is the vaginal opening that really hurts and my apeasiotomy ended in 28 stitches - outside  (if you want to be technical - vulva; hey I talk about this, A-I, and gestation all day) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 9:37 pm

Pushing through the uterus is not the painful part.... It is the vaginal opening that really hurts and my apeasiotomy ended in 28 stitches - outside  (if you want to be technical - vulva; hey I talk about this, A-I, and gestation all day) ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was lucky; Jason didn't cause me to tear.  I was so afraid that that was going to happen, but I lucked out.  He did, however, scratch me with his nails when he was coming out. :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/10/08 at 9:37 pm

I was there throughout.  It looked painful :o

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 9:39 pm

does the milk really squirt out more like a sprinkler than a faucet or a hose

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 9:41 pm

Sarah was an active little bugger.  You could tell when she was awake, she was higher, I called her my little monkey.  The wrecking ball through the ribs analogy fits towards the end.  You don't feel the skin stretch, it is gradual.

As for birth....I had a C-section so none of that vaginal owie stuff for me.

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 9:44 pm

Mine did both. :D

Seriously, it depended upon the force put on the nipple.  If I used a breast pump, it was like a faucet (and it hurt like a motherf*cker).  Jason couldn't suckle strongly enough, so when he nursed, it was like a little stream....which explains why I had the breast pump.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 9:45 pm

MORE like a super soaker squirt gun ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 9:46 pm

I couldn't nurse so my milk never came in.

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 9:48 pm

the whole thing just seems so... I don't know unnatural to me  8-P

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 9:52 pm

the whole thing just seems so... I don't know unnatural to me  8-P
It's natural alright (if you come to my house in the spring - you can help me birth a calf????)  Break you in to the idea, and you will appreciate the naturalness of it all) ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 9:57 pm

It's natural alright (if you come to my house in the spring - you can help me birth a calf????)  Break you in to the idea, and you will appreciate the naturalness of it all) ;)

I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no calves!

sorry... couldn't resist.

I had a dog once who was in my bedroom. She was laying by the door so I couldn't open it... then she started "hemorrhaging"  I was 12 but I was also stupid!  ;D  I had no idea what was going on I thought my dog was dying

I started screaming to my mom... Natalia's bleeding!!!! There's this bloody, gooey stuff coming out of her AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! She's EATING IT!!!!  AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH  yep that's how I learned about the subject.  I was traumatized - still am a bit.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 10:00 pm

I started screaming to my mom... Natalia's bleeding!!!! There's this bloody, gooey stuff coming out of her AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! She's EATING IT!!!!   AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH   yep that's how I learned about the subject.  I was traumatized - still am a bit.

I can see the trauma, but the visual of you freaking out is hilarious. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:03 pm

I can see the trauma, but the visual of you freaking out is hilarious. ;D
Wew thanks for saying it....  I was trying to hold it in and be "tactful"  ???(It was very hard for me ;)) 

;D ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 10:04 pm

Wew thanks for saying it....  I was trying to hold it in and be "tactful"  ???(It was very hard for me ;)) 

;D ;D

So it's my turn not to have tact. ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:04 pm

I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no calves!

sorry... couldn't resist.

I had a dog once who was in my bedroom. She was laying by the door so I couldn't open it... then she started "hemorrhaging"  I was 12 but I was also stupid!  ;D  I had no idea what was going on I thought my dog was dying

I started screaming to my mom... Natalia's bleeding!!!! There's this bloody, gooey stuff coming out of her AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! She's EATING IT!!!!  AAAAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH  yep that's how I learned about the subject.  I was traumatized - still am a bit.

So did she have puppies????

or die?

I know I know - tact

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 10:06 pm

So did she have puppies????

or die?

I know I know - tact

she had 8 puppies and probably got her maternal instinct from me... she killed six of them because she slept on them.

Sorry Jess didn't mean to go off topic

I'm just saying that was my first experience to birth of any kind and I knew I was not cut out for it in any way shape or form

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:07 pm

So it's my turn not to have tact. ;D
Better you than me ;D ;D ;D

But we need to get on with the topic.....

I am so accustomed to things birthing, I think it is just another "chore" to me ;) ;) ;)  So I do not look at it in a way that I believe needs tact, but I can see were some would be offended by this subject ::) ::) ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:12 pm

she had 8 puppies and probably got her maternal instinct from me... she killed six of them because she slept on them.

OH that is sooooo sad :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I thought you were going to say that she ate them - very traumatizing, I know I have witnessed that 8-P 8-P 8-P

I am so sorry your first experience with birthing was not pleasant.  Baby calves are sooo cute (and cow's do not eat their calves; but they can fall, lay, or step on it  :( :( :()

http://www.txcowboy-ken.com/img/Ranch%20Pics/new%20Charlotte%20calf1.JPG

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 10:18 pm

OH that is sooooo sad :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I thought you were going to say that she ate them - very traumatizing, I know I have witnessed that 8-P 8-P 8-P

I am so sorry your first experience with birthing was not pleasant.  Baby calves are sooo cute (and cow's do not eat their calves; but they can fall, lay, or step on it  :( :( :()

http://www.txcowboy-ken.com/img/Ranch%20Pics/new%20Charlotte%20calf1.JPG

nah the dead puppies didn't traumatize me I was traumatized by the birth what she was eating was the sack around the babies... it would be the equivalent of a human dining on the afterbirth... I guess actually the placenta because she had to get the puppies out and breathing...only to kill them herself a few hours later.  ;D

Written By: Tam on 12/10/08 at 10:19 pm

Are there different versions of morning sickness?

That is to say, certain trimesters, or all the time or none at all?

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 10:19 pm

and is it like regular nausea or is it different?

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 10:20 pm

It depends on the woman and the pregnancy.  Normal morning sickness is the first trimester then things settle.  Some people have it all the time, some hardly get it at all.

Pretty much regular nausea, for me anyway.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:20 pm

nah the dead puppies didn't traumatize me I was traumatized by the birth what she was eating was the sack around the babies... it would be the equivalent of a human dining on the afterbirth... I guess actually the placenta because she had to get the puppies out and breathing...only to kill them herself a few hours later.  ;D
Oh Cow's do do that- the only thing that makes me gag 8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: Tam on 12/10/08 at 10:23 pm

It depends on the woman and the pregnancy.  Normal morning sickness is the first trimester then things settle.  Some people have it all the time, some hardly get it at all.

Pretty much regular nausea, for me anyway.

See, the nausea alone would do me in. When I feel sick to my stomach, I do get sick because of the feeling.
My luck I would be sick 24/7 for the entire pregnancy

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/10/08 at 10:24 pm

Are there different versions of morning sickness?

That is to say, certain trimesters, or all the time or none at all?

and is it like regular nausea or is it different?

First Child - just a weee little nausea the first few weeks ,never got sick (had a meat aversion though)....

Second - Sick all the way through, I puked the day before she was born.  I only gained 1 pound (because I lost 19 with her).  I would be soooo hungry, I would eat, get up from the table (be sick) and then go back to the table and eat some more - my husband did not think that was tooo tactful :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\  I was starving, just could not stop

Written By: Jessica on 12/10/08 at 10:25 pm

I never had traditional morning sickness, but during the first trimester, I could not STAND the smell of cooking meat.  It would make me want to hurl.  Other than that, I was fine.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 10:51 pm

I only gained 1 pound (because I lost 19 with her).  I would be soooo hungry, I would eat, get up from the table (be sick) and then go back to the table and eat some more - my husband did not think that was tooo tactful :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\  I was starving, just could not stop

Same here with Sarah, but not because of sickness.  I hardly got sick at all but when I am pregnant, my metabolism reverses itself.  I lost 15 pounds the first 5 months, then I gained 16.  I wish my metabolism would stay that way. :(

Written By: snozberries on 12/10/08 at 10:58 pm

so did the C section hurt? Like did you have to be awake for it? Could you feel them cutting you and pulling Sarah out?

Written By: adagio on 12/10/08 at 11:11 pm

I was there throughout.  It looked painful :o

Somebody asked how painful. It's like pulling your lower lip over your head. :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/08 at 11:12 pm

so did the C section hurt? Like did you have to be awake for it? Could you feel them cutting you and pulling Sarah out?

They gave me a cervical block so I felt no pain.  I could feel some tugging, though.  I was awake.  I heard her get mad at the doctor when he cut into the uterus  because he had the nerve to wake her up.  She was squalling.  She is still a grumpy one when she gets woken up. ;D The recovery is a little more rough...people like to make you laugh and you would not believe how much it hurts when they cut those muscles.  To tell the truth, I was relieved when they said it would have to be a C-Section.  I so wasn't looking forward to giving birth.  

Written By: adagio on 12/10/08 at 11:18 pm

Nausea's the ONLY thing I did not experience.  One or two of my kids almost broke my ribs by kicking them!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/10/08 at 11:26 pm

I feel so left out..sometimes I wonder if I will EVER get to experience this..before I am too old. :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/11/08 at 12:55 am

when Lady Di was pregnant with Julie I could see her foot or elbow as it moved in her tummy. at times it looked like she was doing a somersault  :o  When it was past her due date, the delivery was induced and Diane had morphine first and then due to pain she also had to get an epidural which relieved the pain. when Julie emerged she had a ton of hair. all I saw was this tuft of black hair, and then she was born and I fell in love with her  ::)    It got scary when they had her in the nursery & the doctors told us they had to keep waking her because everytime she'd fall asleep she would stop breathing, so they put her in the intensive care unit. I was back and forth between the rooms and then that night they found out that the morphine had gotten into Julie so they were able to give her something to counter it. anyway, the obstetrician was Heather and she was great and that was a a beautiful day in me & Lady Di's life.  I need to scan the pic of me asleep in Diane's room in her wheelchair.  WHAT?  I was tired from being up all night  ;D  I spent the night there in her room because of what happened with Julie. we Diane had decorated Julie's room really cute and girly and I'll need to post some of those too. now here's where I reveal the jerk in me. Diane's labor & delivery were rough and I left home for the next 2 weekends in a row for softball tournaments out of town.  her mom came and stayed with her. it took Lady Di a while to forgive me for deserting her at that time.  :o

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 1:30 am

They gave me a cervical block so I felt no pain.  I could feel some tugging, though.  I was awake.  I heard her get mad at the doctor when he cut into the uterus  because he had the nerve to wake her up.  She was squalling.  She is still a grumpy one when she gets woken up. ;D The recovery is a little more rough...people like to make you laugh and you would not believe how much it hurts when they cut those muscles.  To tell the truth, I was relieved when they said it would have to be a C-Section.  I so wasn't looking forward to giving birth.  

seems painful. 

funny tho. she had attitude that soon huh? and I thought they didn't develop personality until about 3 months or so.

Written By: Green Lantern on 12/11/08 at 2:33 am

I don't know  :-\\ .... the closest I can get to this ... is maybe when I've been constipated ?    ???    :o

I'm sure once in a while.... a woman goes into hospital, on a false pregnancy .... but then end up giving birth to a little
sh.. sh...  shh!its a secret !  >:(

Occasionally ... one of them goes on to be the leader of the free world !  :o  :o

Mr. Hanky ... MUST be proud !    8)                            ;D

Written By: adagio on 12/11/08 at 6:56 am

Shoot. and I was going to tell the story about my fastest delivery. yet.  I was hurting like crazy and obviously in labor.  But when I got there, some MCP of a dr. said it was PRE-labor, so I went home, couldn't ttand the pain and went back.  I was being examined and another dr. said that I was having the baby RIGHT THEN!!  So the dr and nurse washd their hands but couldn't help me onto the table.  I had to crawl up there myself and then went immediately into delivery...no time for epi's or anything.  He was delivered au natural...in 45 minutes flat.  The original dr. stll maintains that it was pre-labor, even with a baby in front of his eyes. Btw, husband was still in the waiting room to see if I was in labot.  \o/

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/08 at 7:32 am

seems painful. 

funny tho. she had attitude that soon huh? and I thought they didn't develop personality until about 3 months or so.

She had attitude even before she was born.  She wouldn't let my mom feel her move until about 2 months before she was born.  She would be active as hell and my mom would put her hand on my stomach.....she would stop moving.  She was a little bugger.  ;D They are born with personality, you just can't tell as much because they sleep so much. ;D

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 8:10 am

When I was expecting Elizabeth I had one episode of feeling nauseaous.  I was making sandwiches first thing in the morning before breakfast so Dai could take his to work.  The smell of the ham turned my stomach.  After that either Dai made lunch or I did them the night before.

With James I was sick once.  I was at Cub Scout camp and they were frying bacon for breakfast.  I had to run out to be sick. and then totally deny anything was wrong because I was only about 7 or 8 weeks pregnant.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/08 at 10:31 am

I was ok during my whole pregnancy as long as I didn't take that horse pill of a vitamin (2 Flintstones a day for me), or see anybody's feet!  If I saw a man's hairy toes, it just sent me over the edge  ;D

My daughter was 10 days late, but when she wanted out, there was no stopping her.  I waddled into the hospital yelling "I'm no hero.  Where's the epidural?"  I had what they call "back labor" because that's where I felt it all.  I also blew some blood vessels in my eyes from pushing and they were actually swollen shut by the time she was born  :o

All in all, it wasn't horrible and I'd rather give birth again than have a root canal!

Now, as for what happens to your body after childbirth, well, that's a whole other thread!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/08 at 10:47 am

When I was expecting Elizabeth I had one episode of feeling nauseaous.  I was making sandwiches first thing in the morning before breakfast so Dai could take his to work.  The smell of the ham turned my stomach.  After that either Dai made lunch or I did them the night before.

With James I was sick once.  I was at Cub Scout camp and they were frying bacon for breakfast.  I had to run out to be sick. and then totally deny anything was wrong because I was only about 7 or 8 weeks pregnant.

I digress, but the fact that you're British and my snoozy head made it look like you named your kids after royalty ;D

Please continue with your regular discussion.

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 10:49 am

I digress, but the fact that you're British and my snoozy head made it look like you named your kids after royalty ;D

Please continue with your regular discussion.

It wasn't deliberate but they do both have royal names

Elizabeth Victoria

James William

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/11/08 at 10:50 am

It wasn't deliberate but they do both have royal names

Elizabeth Victoria

James William

Wonderful names :)

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/08 at 11:27 am

I waddled into the hospital yelling "I'm no hero.  Where's the epidural?"

;D  My doctor's nurse told me that it didn't make me any less of a woman to have drugs rather than go natural.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/08 at 11:33 am

;D  My doctor's nurse told me that it didn't make me any less of a woman to have drugs rather than go natural.

Yeah, what the hell!  I still felt pain.  I still pushed like a monster.  It took the edge off and I didn't have to hit anyone  ;D

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 11:45 am

Not long before I had Elizabeth a friend was reassuring me about the labour part, and how it wasn't that painful.  It sounded good to be because she struck me as someone who didn't handle pain well.  Then she spoilt it all by saying "Once I had the epidural it was easy"!  ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/11/08 at 12:03 pm

I feel left out :\'(

So i'll just ask away. With what can the pain of labor be compared with?

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 12:08 pm

Getting punched in the uterus and back by Chuck Norris repeatedly.  Then when the behbeh decides to show up, it feels like your hole is going to rip in two.

Then you have to deliver the afterbirth. :-X

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/08 at 12:10 pm

OK, I guess it's my turn to lack tact, so here goes:

To me, it was like the worst constipation that you've ever had - you push and NOTHING!!  I mean, first there's this literal twisting of your entire stomach.  Not just a menstrual cramp, more like someone has almost (but not completely) ripped your stomach out and then twisted.  Couple that with the fact that everything is sort of pushing down.  Again, I felt most of this in my back, so not much fun there!  

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/11/08 at 12:11 pm

Getting punched in the uterus and back by Chuck Norris repeatedly.  Then when the behbeh decides to show up, it feels like your hole is going to rip in two.

To me, it was like the worst constipation that you've ever had - you push and NOTHING!!  I mean, first there's this literal twisting of your entire stomach.  Not just a menstrual cramp, more like someone has almost (but not completely) ripped your stomach out and then twisted.  Couple that with the fact that everything is sort of pushing down.  Again, I felt most of this in my back, so not much fun there!  

So i must be jealous, right? ;)

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 12:14 pm

So i must be jealous, right? ;)

Totally. :D

I don't get where people are saying childbirth is this beautiful and mystical experience (maybe if you're high....).  I f*cking hated it and was hoping they'd have to do a C-section.

But would I go through it again?  Probably.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/08 at 12:14 pm

My turn.  I didn't notice this thread but I'm here now.  First of all I had an easy pregnancy, everything was fine, until labor.  I believe that drugs were first used by women who went through child birth because I gotta tell you it sucks.  I fully planned on having drugs, but when my water broke they said to wait until my contractions became regular.  They put me off, put me off, saying I had a ways to go, but finally I went in anyway and by the time I got to the hospital I was fully dilated and when you are fully dilated they don't give you drugs.    :o  WHAT!  I was beside myself, and the  pain was something I hope never to see again.  It was absolute torture.  The upside was that I pushed like hell and delivered in 3 hours.  You cannot compare the pain of this to anything you have ever experienced.  Consider what is coming out of where, ripping and tearing is involved.  I still cannot watch anything involving childbirth without cringing.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/08 at 12:16 pm

I don't get where people are saying childbirth is this beautiful and mystical experience (maybe if you're high....).  I f*cking hated it and was hoping they'd have to do a C-section.

They were the ones who got the good drugs  ;)

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 12:17 pm

Have you ever had a kidney stone?  I heard the pain of having one of those comes close.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/08 at 12:17 pm

Totally. :D

But would I go through it again?  Probably.

I certainly wouldn't call it beautiful either, but I will say that I was quite amazed at my body.  That it did what needed to be done because after 9 months of reading books, I still wasn't sure what the hell to expect.

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 12:21 pm

My turn.  I didn't notice this thread but I'm here now.  First of all I had an easy pregnancy, everything was fine, until labor.  I believe that drugs were first used by women who went through child birth because I gotta tell you it sucks.  I fully planned on having drugs, but when my water broke they said to wait until my contractions became regular.  They put me off, put me off, saying I had a ways to go, but finally I went in anyway and by the time I got to the hospital I was fully dilated and when you are fully dilated they don't give you drugs.    :o  WHAT!  I was beside myself, and the  pain was something I hope never to see again.  It was absolute torture.  The upside was that I pushed like hell and delivered in 3 hours.  You cannot compare the pain of this to anything you have ever experienced.  Consider what is coming out of where, ripping and tearing is involved.  I still cannot watch anything involving childbirth without cringing.

I had to be induced, and they say that that makes the pain worse.  They gave me some drug (not an epi, I think it was an intrathecal..?) and that worked for like three hours and then wore off.  So I definitely felt it.  Luckily, I didn't rip or tear, but the boy managed to scratch me with his nails when coming out. ;D

I certainly wouldn't call it beautiful either, but I will say that I was quite amazed at my body.  That it did what needed to be done because after 9 months of reading books, I still wasn't sure what the hell to expect.

Yeah, all those books prepare you for the changes in your body, but not for that actual act.  Lamaze only went so far as well.  I must say though that I only had to push a total of four times before the boy shot out like a cannonball.  I swear to God, if the doctor and nurses hadn't been standing there, he would have hit the opposite wall, because that's how fast he came out.

Written By: Tam on 12/11/08 at 12:25 pm

Luckily, I didn't rip or tear, but the boy managed to scratch me with his nails when coming out. ;D

Jess, you said this before and I wanted to ask a question but then I got sidetracked...

He scratched you on the inside?

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/11/08 at 12:26 pm

Have you ever had a kidney stone?  I heard the pain of having one of those comes close.

No, but unfortunetly i do know severe pain. At least with child birth you get the little bundle of joy in the end :-*

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 12:30 pm

Jess, you said this before and I wanted to ask a question but then I got sidetracked...

He scratched you on the inside?

Yup.  Dunno if he was trying to hold on or what, but there were a couple of deep scratches a few inches in. :D

No, but unfortunetly i do know severe pain. At least with child birth you get the little bundle of joy in the end :-*

True.  I'd say it was worth it. :)

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 12:32 pm

Yup.  Dunno if he was trying to hold on or what, but there were a couple of deep scratches a few inches in. :D

Ouch!

I'd say it was worth it most of the time!

Written By: Tam on 12/11/08 at 12:33 pm

Holy Crap! How did they heal? Like normal and stuff or did they have to give you antibiotics? I sound so naive right now, and I truly am in this area.

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 12:40 pm

Holy Crap! How did they heal? Like normal and stuff or did they have to give you antibiotics? I sound so naive right now, and I truly am in this area.

If I remember correctly, they just checked on them every 12 hours or so when I was in the hospital.  There really wasn't a lot they could do for them because of where they were, but it does make for an interesting birthing story. :D

Written By: Tam on 12/11/08 at 12:44 pm

If I remember correctly, they just checked on them every 12 hours or so when I was in the hospital.  There really wasn't a lot they could do for them because of where they were, but it does make for an interesting birthing story. :D

No doubt! :o
I read that and I started thinking about all of the infections that could possible happen inside there!

When my mom had me, they shaved her front to back and then purposely cut her so she wouldn't tear. Apparently I tried to come out hands over my head first, so the doctors had to get in there and shift my arms... in the process they tore my mom even more! She ended up with something like 31 stitches and I had nothing to do with it. ;)
She did end up with an infection in the stitches and she said they made her use this cream stuff that turned around and gave her a yeast infection on top of the draining that was going on... Bah - I never fully understood it, but I seriously can't imagine not only dealing with the birth but other complications as well. :-[

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 1:01 pm

They've stopped deliberately cutting people because small tears are supposed to heal with less scarring than a cut.  :-\\

Written By: Tam on 12/11/08 at 1:07 pm

They've stopped deliberately cutting people because small tears are supposed to heal with less scarring than a cut.  :-\\

Makes sense. And they don't shave you anymore now do they?

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/11/08 at 1:50 pm

Makes sense. And they don't shave you anymore now do they?

They don't shave you anymore.  That cutting is called an episiotomy and I was more afraid of that than the whole birthing process!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/08 at 2:56 pm

I am in the group here that has never (nor will ever) experience giving birth. Someone once describe it as sh!tting a basketball.  ;D ;D ;D 

I have to tell ya, I have mixed feelings. One part of me is glad that I will never go through such pain and I have such freedom NOT being a mother. On the other hand, I feel like I am missing out on something wonderful & beautiful-not necessarily childbirth as I mean motherhood. It depends on the day. Some days are better than others. 

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 12/11/08 at 2:58 pm

They don't shave you anymore.  That cutting is called an episiotomy and I was more afraid of that than the whole birthing process!

Ha!  Me too!  The thought of being deliberately cut on my taint was just cringeworthy.

I am in the group here that has never (nor will ever) experience giving birth. Someone once describe it as sh!tting a basketball.  ;D ;D ;D 

I have to tell ya, I have mixed feelings. One part of me is glad that I will never go through such pain and I have such freedom NOT being a mother. On the other hand, I feel like I am missing out on something wonderful & beautiful-not necessarily childbirth as I mean motherhood. It depends on the day. Some days are better than others. 

Cat

You can borrow Jason for a month or five. :D

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 3:05 pm

Ha!  Me too!  The thought of being deliberately cut on my taint was just cringeworthy.

I'm not sure if I was deliberately cut or not.  I think I might have been with Elizabeth because they had to use a ventous cap (which failed) and then forceps.  All this after been in the hospital over 24 hours.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/11/08 at 3:15 pm

You can borrow Jason for a month or five. :D

I should have said that I really have the best of both worlds. Even though I will never know how it feels to be a mother, I get the joy of being a grandmother. And the best part of being a grandmother is saying, "Go back to your mother" when they start acting up.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: adagio on 12/11/08 at 4:17 pm

I had the same experience only this MCP of a dr. sent me home, and by the time I got back again (wasn't liong) it was too late for any kind of drugs.  Plus since they had already washed their hands I had to even climb on the table by myself...no easy feat with such a big stomach. MCP dr. STILL  maintained it was pre-labor...he should have been the one feeling the pain.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/08 at 5:07 pm

And then.....After I had the babe I was able to keep him in my room, not the nursery, but he was a bit jaundiced so they wanted to put him under the lights.  I figured they could do that in the nursery while I got up and took a shower.  After the shower I walked down to the nursery, there were two babies, TWO, and they had switched their charts!  My son, a boy, had the chart of the other baby, a girl, in his cart, and the girl had his! I was agitated to say the least, and when I went to the desk all pissed off they looked at me like I was crazy.  I walked(real fast) back to the nursery and showed the whatever they replace nurses with, then almost passed out.  Can you imagine if they had been boys?  I would bet all these switched at birth stories have happened much more than people want to believe, it almost happened to me.

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:10 pm

Not long before I had Elizabeth a friend was reassuring me about the labour part, and how it wasn't that painful.  It sounded good to be because she struck me as someone who didn't handle pain well.  Then she spoilt it all by saying "Once I had the epidural it was easy"!  ::)

I am such a wimp about pain my mother told me if I ever did get pregnant she wanted to be three states away when it was time for me to go into labor!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:13 pm

and yet they still have the nerve to call the joy of childbirth  ::)

see I knew all this when I was 14.... at least I knew something... that's when I knew I did not want to bring forth life onto this planet....

later I learned I'm selfish too so no adopting for me!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:15 pm

or a holy terror.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:16 pm

so he's the ultimate mama's boy huh?  ;) 

They had to drag him out kicking and screaming  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/08 at 5:17 pm

or a holy terror.  ;)

My parents had 4 kids, I was the fourth, I gave them ample reason two wish they had stopped at 3  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:20 pm

My parents had 4 kids, I was the fourth, I gave them ample reason two wish they had stopped at 3   ;D

;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/11/08 at 5:23 pm

On the other hand, I feel like I am missing out on something wonderful & beautiful-not necessarily childbirth as I mean motherhood. It depends on the day. Some days are better than others. 

Cat

I have never felt this... not once...not even when I look at a baby who is cute.

Okay I take it back... I saw the movie Cars in the theater.  As soon as the green screen announcing previews came on the 3 year old in front of me went YAY! (arms up in the air and everything)... then during the movie - which was  a little long... she said " I want to go home daddy"  dad looked relieved and got up and said let's go.... and she, in her best annoyed three year old accent said. "No Daddy! After the movie!"  Poor dad...

I kinda wanted to fold her up and put her in my pocket but really I just wanted to put her on a display shelf with my barbies... I still didn't feel maternal in anyway  ;D

Written By: adagio on 12/11/08 at 7:16 pm

And then.....After I had the babe I was able to keep him in my room, not the nursery, but he was a bit jaundiced so they wanted to put him under the lights.  I figured they could do that in the nursery while I got up and took a shower.  After the shower I walked down to the nursery, there were two babies, TWO, and they had switched their charts!  My son, a boy, had the chart of the other baby, a girl, in his cart, and the girl had his! I was agitated to say the least, and when I went to the desk all pissed off they looked at me like I was crazy.  I walked(real fast) back to the nursery and showed the whatever they replace nurses with, then almost passed out.  Can you imagine if they had been boys?  I would bet all these switched at birth stories have happened much more than people want to believe, it almost happened to me.

Dang!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/11/08 at 8:55 pm

I had to be induced, and they say that that makes the pain worse.  They gave me some drug (not an epi, I think it was an intrathecal..?) and that worked for like three hours and then wore off.  So I definitely felt it.  Luckily, I didn't rip or tear, but the boy managed to scratch me with his nails when coming out. ;D

Yeah, all those books prepare you for the changes in your body, but not for that actual act.  Lamaze only went so far as well.  I must say though that I only had to push a total of four times before the boy shot out like a cannonball.  I swear to God, if the doctor and nurses hadn't been standing there, he would have hit the opposite wall, because that's how fast he came out.
I was also induced with both of my babies :( :( :(

I was 14 days late with my first and very little dialated (2???), they decided to induce me - not what I wanted :(  I did not want my first birth to be in bed hooked to a i.v. I wanted freedom, birthing balls, saunas (watched to much Baby Story) etc....  Well I did not get that....

I went in at night to have a Pitocin patch inserted to try and soften things up and get things started - notta.  Then at 7:00a.m. I was started on a IV of Pitocin (NO BREAKFAST) - nothing much happening by 9:00am - broke my water (most miserable feeling of my life!!!  Sitting in what felt like my own bed of peeeee 8-P 8-P 8-P). 

11:00 nothing much (back pain).. By noon I was ready to jump the nurse, husband and everyone else who was near ;D ;D ;D

AT 1:00 I was imagining strangling the nurse who came in every so often to PUMP UP THE PITOCIN with the frickin automatic blood pressure cuff that was cutting off my arm >:( >:( >:(  My doctor left for the office, as I was not progressing and it would be quite some time (I was only a 4)......  Felt like I was dying, my back hurt on contractions and stomach felt as if twisting.....  They gave me a shot of nubane (sp???) - it made my nose itch, and I was giggley , took the edge off.

At 2:00 I told my husband I thought I really had to go to the bathroom, and when I went to move I knew it was not right Hubby called the nurse and she came and check.  SHE DID NOT THINK IT WAS ANYTHING BECAUSE SHE JUST CHECKED ME IN THE LAST HALF HOUR AND I WAS ONLY 6 >:(  When she checked it FULL 10, had to get the Dr. there and I was crowning.  :D :D :D

2:45 Had a new baby girl.  I went from 6-10 too fast to ever get an epidermal.  My doctor kept forgetting this as she was sewing me back up and I could feel the 28 stitches she was putting in and she kept having to give me more novacaine.... :o :o :o :o

Second child - I new what induction was... Took plenty of magazines to read.  Read straight up until the time I had to push 4:00 and by 5:00 I had a baby - A breeze........Not much pain in contractions I was comfortable all the way through :) :) :)  Especially because I got to get an epidermal this time :D :D :D :D (They gave it too me when I reached 6) and it wasn't 30 minutes later that I started pushing.  I remember telling my husband - hey I think I have to push (it's time and he ran and got the nurse and the Dr. came too) and yes it was time ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: karen on 12/11/08 at 10:09 pm

A few months before I was due to give birth to my first Dai told me he had been selected to go on a two week training course in Brazil and would be away on my due date.  He would be back three days afterwards.  Most people assured us that first babies are always late so there would be no problem with Dai not being around for the birth.  Ha!  I went into labour five days early.

It was a Saturday afternoon.  I'd packed my hospital bag and prepared the guest room because I knew the in-laws would come and stay as soon as they heard the baby was born.  I spoke to Dai on the phone and mentioned that my back was aching a little.  I put it down to making up the bed in the guest room.

Later that day I met my parents in town.  It was the annual street fair and I was meeting them to walk around and look at the rides and lights.  My mum and I went on the carousel.  My back was still aching but it was a continuous dull ache.  About 9.30 we went to a pub for a drink and met some of my parents friends.  they have been meeting up in the same pub for the past 40-50 years on Fair Saturday.  Around 10.30 I realised that now my tummy was aching as well and the pain was coming and going every ten minutes or so.  Told my dad not to have any more to drink and we went back to my house to get my stuff.

I tried to sleep in my parents house but by 3 a.m. I'd had enough.  We drove to the hospital and the midwife checked and said I was about 2.  They checked on me on and off and decided I wasn't making much progress so around 8 a.m. I was moved to a side room.  I tried to keep moving and in one trip around the corridors one of the staff commented that she thought I had been sent home and she had better come and check on me.  ::)  Anyway progress was still slow and around 5 p.m. a student doctor came and checked to see if I could go home.  At this point I'd been having contractions every five minutes for about twelve hours.  Thankfully this time I was about 8 cms and they decided I could go to the deliver room.  My mum and dad came with me.

First I tried gas and air but I hated it.  It made me feel sick and dizzy.  I tried to manage without anything and just breathe through it.  I also tried various positions but nothing really worked.  Eventually I had an epidural and then the contractions stopped so I had a drip to increase their strength.  I was told that it was time to start pushing and I should try and time it with the contractions.  But the strength of the epidural meant I couldn't actually feel any contractions!  ::)

The midwife frequently told me I was nearly there.  Several student doctors had been in to help/watch and learn but their shift ended before I gave birth!  I ended up with them trying a ventouse cap (sort of plunger stuck onto the head) but this failed twice so they used forceps (who called them salad servers?).  Elizabeth was born about 6 a.m. Monday morning.

I had some stitches done as well but I don't remember that much.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/11/08 at 10:21 pm

My first one, at 7 months my doctor told me it would probably be a C-Section.  Seems my pelvis is built for a 7 lb baby and she was already 7 lbs. He tried to let me go naturally, but I was a week late so he gave me pitosin.  He was hoping it could be vaginal.  I went in at a 2.  After the pitosin and hairy, painful contractions (yes, I yelled and screamed)  6 hours later I was at a 4.  I got an epidural, probably to shut me the hell up.  ;D  3 more hours later, first wave of epidural wearing off I am still at a 4 and the damn doctor asked if I wanted to wait or just take it now.  Dumb question, Einstein. ::)  45 minutes later I had a gaping hole in my tummy and a 9 lb 9 oz baby girl. 

With Sarah I lost my plug on New Years day.  The hospital said to come up so they could check on me.  I got there and they called the doctor.  He said to go ahead and prep me, they would take the baby then.  He told me it was because of the drive from my house, he didn't want me to start bleeding.  I live an hour away from him, but he is a great OB/GYN.  The nurse later told me it was because the New Year baby hadn't been born yet and he wanted it. ;D

Now the factory is shut down.

Written By: adagio on 12/11/08 at 10:59 pm

I was also induced with both of my babies :( :( :(

I was 14 days late with my first and very little dialated (2???), they decided to induce me - not what I wanted :(  I did not want my first birth to be in bed hooked to a i.v. I wanted freedom, birthing balls, saunas (watched to much Baby Story) etc....  Well I did not get that....

I went in at night to have a Pitocin patch inserted to try and soften things up and get things started - notta.  Then at 7:00a.m. I was started on a IV of Pitocin (NO BREAKFAST) - nothing much happening by 9:00am - broke my water (most miserable feeling of my life!!!  Sitting in what felt like my own bed of peeeee 8-P 8-P 8-P). 

11:00 nothing much (back pain).. By noon I was ready to jump the nurse, husband and everyone else who was near ;D ;D ;D

AT 1:00 I was imagining strangling the nurse who came in every so often to PUMP UP THE PITOCIN with the frickin automatic blood pressure cuff that was cutting off my arm >:( >:( >:(  My doctor left for the office, as I was not progressing and it would be quite some time (I was only a 4)......  Felt like I was dying, my back hurt on contractions and stomach felt as if twisting.....  They gave me a shot of nubane (sp???) - it made my nose itch, and I was giggley , took the edge off.

At 2:00 I told my husband I thought I really had to go to the bathroom, and when I went to move I knew it was not right Hubby called the nurse and she came and check.  SHE DID NOT THINK IT WAS ANYTHING BECAUSE SHE JUST CHECKED ME IN THE LAST HALF HOUR AND I WAS ONLY 6 >:(  When she checked it FULL 10, had to get the Dr. there and I was crowning.   :D :D :D

2:45 Had a new baby girl.  I went from 6-10 too fast to ever get an epidermal.  My doctor kept forgetting this as she was sewing me back up and I could feel the 28 stitches she was putting in and she kept having to give me more novacaine.... :o :o :o :o

Second child - I new what induction was... Took plenty of magazines to read.  Read straight up until the time I had to push 4:00 and by 5:00 I had a baby - A breeze........Not much pain in contractions I was comfortable all the way through :) :) :)  Especially because I got to get an epidermal this time :D :D :D :D (They gave it too me when I reached 6) and it wasn't 30 minutes later that I started pushing.  I remember telling my husband - hey I think I have to push (it's time and he ran and got the nurse and the Dr. came too) and yes it was time ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your story reminded me of when I was in the hospital with my first.  Some silly twit..nurses in traing came in to watch my water break(about 5 of them). I got them all soaked with one shot..that's what they get for peeking at my private moment!!

Written By: adagio on 12/11/08 at 11:43 pm

Your story reminded me of when I was in the hospital with my first.  Some silly twit..nurses in traing came in to watch my water break(about 5 of them). I got them all soaked with one shot..that's what they get for peeking at my private moment!!

This was the only highlight of that 1st one...other than that I was scared out of my skull

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/12/08 at 12:29 am

How many kids did you end up having altogether, adagio?

Written By: adagio on 12/12/08 at 7:06 am

How many kids did you end up having altogether, adagio?

5 and two miscarriages.  I still think amniototic fluid all over those nurses gave me  a smile.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/08 at 7:46 am

5 and two miscarriages.  I still think amniototic fluid all over those nurses gave me  a smile.

The visual made me giggle.  That'll teach 'em. ;D

Written By: adagio on 12/12/08 at 8:00 am

8) lol

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/12/08 at 10:40 am

We men were chided in the men's health board for not posting in the women's, so here goes.  I fathered 4 kids with my first wife and participated in all their births.  During the first, in transition, my wife yelled "I don't want to have a baby, I want to go home!!!"  The other three went much better.  In fact with the last, the Doc was almost late, so I was getting ready to "catch".  All I can say is that each one was more awesome the the last, and I cried each time - for joy.

My x nursed all of them, although the docs gave us a hassle with the first.  I'll elaborate if you all are interested.

Written By: adagio on 12/12/08 at 11:12 am

We men were chided in the men's health board for not posting in the women's, so here goes.  I fathered 4 kids with my first wife and participated in all their births.  During the first, in transition, my wife yelled "I don't want to have a baby, I want to go home!!!"  The other three went much better.  In fact with the last, the Doc was almost late, so I was getting ready to "catch".  All I can say is that each one was more awesome the the last, and I cried each time - for joy.

My x nursed all of them, although the docs gave us a hassle with the first.  I'll elaborate if you all are interested.

Why were you chided?  If you feel uncomfortable, you shouldn't be forced to participate, seems to me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/08 at 11:58 am

My first one, at 7 months my doctor told me it would probably be a C-Section.  Seems my pelvis is built for a 7 lb baby and she was already 7 lbs. He tried to let me go naturally, but I was a week late so he gave me pitosin.  He was hoping it could be vaginal.  I went in at a 2.  After the pitosin and hairy, painful contractions (yes, I yelled and screamed)  6 hours later I was at a 4.  I got an epidural, probably to shut me the hell up.  ;D  3 more hours later, first wave of epidural wearing off I am still at a 4 and the damn doctor asked if I wanted to wait or just take it now.  Dumb question, Einstein. ::)  45 minutes later I had a gaping hole in my tummy and a 9 lb 9 oz baby girl. 

With Sarah I lost my plug on New Years day.  The hospital said to come up so they could check on me.  I got there and they called the doctor.  He said to go ahead and prep me, they would take the baby then.  He told me it was because of the drive from my house, he didn't want me to start bleeding.  I live an hour away from him, but he is a great OB/GYN.  The nurse later told me it was because the New Year baby hadn't been born yet and he wanted it. ;D

Now the factory is shut down.

So you had the first baby born of the new year? Way cool. Here, they always have an article and photo in the local paper.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/08 at 12:27 pm

So you had the first baby born of the new year? Way cool. Here, they always have an article and photo in the local paper.

Cat

It was just for her hospital, but it was still cool.  I saved a copy of the paper.  She thinks it is cool.  :)

Why did the docs hassle you?  I thought they wanted mothers to nurse.   Good for you for being involved in the births, most guys I know hide from it. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/12/08 at 2:10 pm

Why were you chided?  If you feel uncomfortable, you shouldn't be forced to participate, seems to me.

You misunderstand.  I wasn't chided personally, the men as a group were chided.  I had thought about posting here, but figured there is nothing I can really say about being pregnant or delivering a baby, at least not first hand.  The comment motivated me, so I wasn't forced to participate at all.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/12/08 at 2:21 pm

Why did the docs hassle you?  I thought they wanted mothers to nurse.   Good for you for being involved in the births, most guys I know hide from it. 

It was back in the dark ages, 1973, and we were "service patients".  The baby was jaundiced and the staff pediatrician wanted to take her off the breast because in rare cases some babies are allergic  to breast milk, and put her under ultraviolet lights to stimulate the liver.  Thing is that new mothers don't produce milk until after a week or so, but produce colostrum, which is rich in antibodies.  The real answer is that he couldn't be bothered.  I fought him on it - had to get him off the golf course- the wife was too exhausted.  He was pissed but gave in.  She stayed on the breast but did go under the lights.  When we brought her home we put her in the sun for a few minutes at a time and the jaundice went away.  But in those days there was much less support for nursing.  You see, you can't tell how much the kid is getting.  Things really have changed, for the better.

As to being there, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  In at the beginning  ;), in at the end

Written By: karen on 12/12/08 at 3:46 pm

It was back in the dark ages, 1973, and we were "service patients".  The baby was jaundiced and the staff pediatrician wanted to take her off the breast because in rare cases some babies are allergic  to breast milk, and put her under ultraviolet lights to stimulate the liver.  Thing is that new mothers don't produce milk until after a week or so, but produce colostrum, which is rich in antibodies.  The real answer is that he couldn't be bothered.  I fought him on it - had to get him off the golf course- the wife was too exhausted.  He was pissed but gave in.  She stayed on the breast but did go under the lights.  When we brought her home we put her in the sun for a few minutes at a time and the jaundice went away.  But in those days there was much less support for nursing.  You see, you can't tell how much the kid is getting.  Things really have changed, for the better.

As to being there, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  In at the beginning  ;), in at the end

Elizabeth was slightly jaundiced when she was born and I was told the best thing was as much breast feeding as possible.  How the advice changes!  The colour faded after a day or so so we didn't need the lights.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/12/08 at 10:46 pm

I've never had to pass a kidney stone myself, but I heard that it is the closest pain to childbirth that man can experience.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/08 at 6:13 am

You misunderstand.  I wasn't chided personally, the men as a group were chided.  I had thought about posting here, but figured there is nothing I can really say about being pregnant or delivering a baby, at least not first hand.  The comment motivated me, so I wasn't forced to participate at all.

You misunderstand, I wasn't chiding, just making an observation.  I actually found it a bit ummmmmm, funny,.  I actually wouldn't mind having an all female or male forum.

Written By: adagio on 12/13/08 at 10:07 am

You misunderstand, I wasn't chiding, just making an observation.  I actually found it a bit ummmmmm, funny,.  I actually wouldn't mind having an all female or male forum.

me either...I can talk freely, not that an occasional male visitor isn't welcome like they were when..... ::)

Written By: ninny on 12/13/08 at 11:43 am

I never took any childbirth classes,and when I was in labor with Timmy the nurse kept saying to me breathe,breathe, I finally got mad and said I am breathing,if I wasn't breathing I would be dead. My motherin law was a little upset with this,but the nurse explained if I had taken the classes,I would know how to breathe properly.
I really did not have any problems,with Timmy my water broke about 4:30 on a Friday afternoon and he was born at 12:55 Sat morning. Missy was 3 weeks early. I went for a checkup and the doctor said I was already dilated 4 I was going to have the baby that day,I told my father that the doctor was nuts. We started to head toward my house and I told my dad you better take me to the hospital. we stopped and called Tim at work,walked around the hospital for a while because my water was not breaking. She was born 9:43 thatTuesday night.

I just hope Missy doesn't have a difficult labor and birth. She is 30 weeks today. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/13/08 at 12:11 pm

Elizabeth was slightly jaundiced when she was born and I was told the best thing was as much breast feeding as possible.  How the advice changes!  The colour faded after a day or so so we didn't need the lights.

It is very typical.  The billi rubin builds up because the liver isn't working a peak efficiency.  The doc in our case thought that because we were service patients we weren't worth pestering over, were ignorant, and would just do as we were told, saving him some time and bother.  It didn't work out that way.  And yes, the lights are usually not necessary, but we compromised.

Written By: statsqueen on 12/14/08 at 11:02 am

I was Niagara Falls.  Most women would go through a box of pads (36 in a box, directions say put 1 pad in each bra cup to prevent stains).  I had to put 6 on each side multiple times a day.  I could go through a box in less than 24 hrs.  When Micah was sick, I didn't have to use a pump to get the milk in bottles, just held the bottles and the milk flowed.  I remember stepping into the shower and it just streaming out.  I seriously could have nursed 7 other children and Micah would still have been well fed.  ;D

Written By: karen on 12/14/08 at 11:31 am

I finally found out about breast cups and used those after a couple of months desperately looking for something to absorb all the milk coming from the side I wasn't feeding on.  Old terry towelling nappies (diapers) worked quite well but got smelly quickly.  8-P

I do remember having to wash the wall in our bedroom once or twice.  I'd start feeding Elizabeth and she'd come off/wasn't properly latched and the milk would squirt about four feet across the room!  It didn't happen with James I don't think

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/14/08 at 11:40 am

I was Niagara Falls.  Most women would go through a box of pads (36 in a box, directions say put 1 pad in each bra cup to prevent stains).  I had to put 6 on each side multiple times a day.  I could go through a box in less than 24 hrs.  When Micah was sick, I didn't have to use a pump to get the milk in bottles, just held the bottles and the milk flowed.  I remember stepping into the shower and it just streaming out.  I seriously could have nursed 7 other children and Micah would still have been well fed.   ;D

One time after Becky had tarted drinking from a cup but was still nursing, my X and I had to go out and my parents came to baby sit.  She express enough into a cup to keep Becky content.  My dad, without knowing, used some in his coffee.  Said it was very sweet (which it is - I tried it).  We didn't tell him  :o

In a similar vein, I offered my hairy nipple to each of my kids early in their infancy (there are mnen who can produce small amounts).  Each of them looked at me like I was crazy.

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/08 at 1:09 pm

I was Niagara Falls.  Most women would go through a box of pads (36 in a box, directions say put 1 pad in each bra cup to prevent stains).  I had to put 6 on each side multiple times a day.  I could go through a box in less than 24 hrs.  When Micah was sick, I didn't have to use a pump to get the milk in bottles, just held the bottles and the milk flowed.  I remember stepping into the shower and it just streaming out.  I seriously could have nursed 7 other children and Micah would still have been well fed.   ;D

ihwkn.,adr di rwjsd weh iyjr lasicbe si kharss,
its hard to type when you're laughing so hard!

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/08 at 1:11 pm

okay... here's the one question I've always wanted to know but never dared ask....

Have any of you tasted breast milk and what does it taste like?  :-[  You can thank the show Friends for my curiosity.  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/14/08 at 7:10 pm

okay... here's the one question I've always wanted to know but never dared ask....

Have any of you tasted breast milk and what does it taste like?  :-[  You can thank the show Friends for my curiosity.  ;)

Never tried it, but I am sure my husband has, since I would have the same experience as Karen, but my husband was 4 feet away not the wall ;D ;D ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 12/14/08 at 9:23 pm

ihwkn.,adr di rwjsd weh iyjr lasicbe si kharss,
its hard to type when you're laughing so hard!

lol  Glad to be of assistance :p

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/08 at 5:20 am

Have any of you tasted breast milk and what does it taste like?  :-[   You can thank the show Friends for my curiosity.  ;)

Well, to be honest, I had to pump some out so I did take a sneaky taste, just a little bits, about 1/4 teaspoon.  It was sweet.

Written By: ninny on 12/15/08 at 8:39 am

I did not get any milk,dried up at age 29...I learned later that it may be because I had an operation on some fibroid tumors.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/15/08 at 8:44 am

I wasn't able to nurse successfully and I had fibroids before getting pregnant.  Guess that explains it.

Written By: adagio on 12/15/08 at 9:25 am

I seem to have had it easy compared to everyone else (ducks).

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/15/08 at 11:08 am

Have any of you tasted breast milk and what does it taste like?  :-[   You can thank the show Friends for my curiosity.  ;)

I tasted it several times.  It is quite sweet and rather thin.  Not as creamy as cow's milk.

Written By: Davester on 12/17/08 at 11:39 pm

Same happened with son Danny.  He took on a yellowish tinge, even the whites of his eyes.  It was pretty scary.  Ped said take him off the tit (and let him get some sunlight) so we put him on Similac...

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/08 at 1:39 pm

Well, to be honest, I had to pump some out so I did take a sneaky taste, just a little bits, about 1/4 teaspoon.  It was sweet.

maybe that's where they get the phrase sweet as mother's milk.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/08 at 11:12 am

I had a C-section with both of my kids.  Need I say more?  :o

Written By: karen on 12/22/08 at 11:28 am

I had a C-section with both of my kids.  Need I say more?  :o

Well, were they emergencies or planned?  How many stitches did you have?  How long did it take before you could walk, sit up without moaning, hold your baby?  Any stories about infected wounds, stitches bursting or other gore?

I think that about covers it!  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/08 at 11:39 am

Well, were they emergencies or planned?  How many stitches did you have?  How long did it take before you could walk, sit up without moaning, hold your baby?  Any stories about infected wounds, stitches bursting or other gore?

I think that about covers it!  ;D

Heh!  ;)

The doctor had set dates for the C-sections, as both were in the breech position (i.e. feet first)...but I'm afraid nature stepped in and both of my kids came early (each were born at 37 weeks, which is still full-term)...

I don't recall how many stitches I had with each, but I do know that it was an extremely painful recovery and I had to have my hubby help me with basic things such as getting up to use the bathroom...

I think it was several weeks before I could sit up without too much discomfort...and I did hold/feed my kids right from the start!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/08 at 3:06 pm

My next door neighbor is expecting her first in a couple of weeks.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/22/08 at 3:31 pm

My sister is due next month after 15 years of heartache!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/08 at 3:38 pm

My sister is due next month after 15 years of heartache!  :)

That's wonderful, Shannon!  She must be so excited!  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/22/08 at 3:47 pm

That's wonderful, Shannon!  She must be so excited!  :)

She is absolutely overjoyed, especially since she wasn't even trying!  This is the closest thing I've ever seen to a miracle  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/08 at 3:51 pm

She is absolutely overjoyed, especially since she wasn't even trying!  This is the closest thing I've ever seen to a miracle  :)

I think the body relaxes and it becomes easier to conceive when you're not trying so hard to become pregnant... :)

I wish your sister all the best!  :)

Written By: karen on 12/22/08 at 4:21 pm

I think the body relaxes and it becomes easier to conceive when you're not trying so hard to become pregnant... :)

That happened to friends of mine.  They'd tried for 10 years or more and then decided to go in for dog breeding instead.  Just after their bitch give birth they found out that the wife was expecting.

Hope all goes well for your sister, Ladybug

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/22/08 at 4:24 pm

Thank you, both and karma!

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/08 at 9:32 pm

Check this article
One big baby boy

Nurses hold the 14.5-pound baby boy known as "Super Tonio" in Jesus Kumate Rodriguez Hospital Wednesday in Cancun, Mexico. Antonio's mother, Teresa Alejandra Cruz, 23, and father, Luis Vasconcelos, 38, noted that Cruz gave birth to an 11.46-pound baby girl seven years ago.

Ummm what's worse than giving birth to 18 kids?  Having big ass babies!  ;D

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/bigassbaby.jpg

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/28/08 at 11:25 pm

Check this article
One big baby boy

Nurses hold the 14.5-pound baby boy known as "Super Tonio" in Jesus Kumate Rodriguez Hospital Wednesday in Cancun, Mexico. Antonio's mother, Teresa Alejandra Cruz, 23, and father, Luis Vasconcelos, 38, noted that Cruz gave birth to an 11.46-pound baby girl seven years ago.

wtf did she have to dilate tooo?????  a 16????

OUCH :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/08 at 12:08 am

Holy hurtin' hooha!!  No wonder it took her 7 years to have another; she's still recovering from the first!

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/29/08 at 8:33 am

Holy hurtin' hooha!!  No wonder it took her 7 years to have another; she's still recovering from the first!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/08 at 11:34 am

OUCH :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\ :-\\

My thoughts exactly.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/29/08 at 11:41 am

Check this article
One big baby boy

14.5 lbs?

He's only 4lb heavier than I was!  :-[

(Yet, the easiest birth of three according to my Ma...probably just as well!  :D)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/29/08 at 11:59 am

14.5 lbs?

He's only 4lb heavier than I was!  :-did have a difficult delivery as she was in labor for many hours!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/08 at 7:43 pm

14.5 lbs?

He's only 4lb heavier than I was!  :-[

(Yet, the easiest birth of three according to my Ma...probably just as well!  :D)

I think my little brother was 10.5 lbs as well, but he did NOT want to be delivered.  No sir, no way!
They had to use suction on him and he had a bit of a conehead for a little while, poor fella!

Written By: NbC on 12/29/08 at 8:51 pm

My daughter weighed 8 lbs 15 oz at birth and I thought she was a big baby.  14.5 lbs.  YIKES!!! 

I had an easy delivery, completely natural.  I wasn't administered pain killers because I arrived at the hospital already 7 inches dilated.  I delayed going to the hospital because I wasn't sure if I was really in labor.  I was expecting the pain to be much worse.  I was timing the contractions and when it was coming every five minutes that was when I decided to take a shower and prepare.   

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/31/08 at 10:26 am

My daughter weighed 8 lbs 15 oz at birth and I thought she was a big baby.  14.5 lbs.  YIKES!!! 

I had an easy delivery, completely natural.  I wasn't administered pain killers because I arrived at the hospital already 7 inches dilated.  I delayed going to the hospital because I wasn't sure if I was really in labor.  I was expecting the pain to be much worse.  I was timing the contractions and when it was coming every five minutes that was when I decided to take a shower and prepare.   

You actually had time to shower when you were about to deliver a baby?!!  :o :o

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/31/08 at 10:28 am

Check this article
One big baby boy

... What did the mom eat during that pregnancy??

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/08 at 4:17 pm

... What did the mom eat during that pregnancy??

probably another baby...that's why she gave birth to two at once  ;D

Written By: NbC on 01/01/09 at 6:14 am

You actually had time to shower when you were about to deliver a baby?!!  :o :o

Yup! It was in the middle of the night I couldn't go to the hospital without taking a shower. 

I was taking my time anyway, the labor pains weren't as painful as I imagined them to be and if I was in labor I didn't want anyone to force me to the hospital early.  I just didn't want to spend many hours in a hospital room waiting for the baby to come out.  I was told that if you arrived at the hospital too early they would send you home so I made sure I didn't.  But as I was taking a shower my Mom woke up and then all hell broke loose.  Everyone was getting all excited.  That was what I was avoiding.  Even the nurses told me that I didn't look like someone that was in labor.  I was very calm.  I had a very easy pregnancy.  I didn't experience morning sickness like most people do.  Wish I did though because I gained over 60 lbs.  I went from 105 lbs to over 160 lbs during my pregnancy. 

I arrived 7 cm dilated at about 3 a.m in the morning and didn't deliver Shannon until 9:30 a.m.  She was slow coming out.  Maybe that was why I didn't feel much pain.  Or I could just have a high tolerance to pain.  I felt the most pain during the last couple of hours though.  But I refused to scream like the lady down the hall.  She was loud.  And she gave birth to a small baby.  Shannon was huge compare to hers.  ;D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/01/09 at 10:33 am

Yup! It was in the middle of the night I couldn't go to the hospital without taking a shower. 

I was taking my time anyway, the labor pains weren't as painful as I imagined them to be and if I was in labor I didn't want anyone to force me to the hospital early.  I just didn't want to spend many hours in a hospital room waiting for the baby to come out.  I was told that if you arrived at the hospital too early they would send you home so I made sure I didn't.  But as I was taking a shower my Mom woke up and then all hell broke loose.  Everyone was getting all excited.  That was what I was avoiding.  Even the nurses told me that I didn't look like someone that was in labor.  I was very calm.  I had a very easy pregnancy.  I didn't experience morning sickness like most people do.  Wish I did though because I gained over 60 lbs.  I went from 105 lbs to over 160 lbs during my pregnancy. 

I arrived 7 cm dilated at about 3 a.m in the morning and didn't deliver Shannon until 9:30 a.m.  She was slow coming out.  Maybe that was why I didn't feel much pain.  Or I could just have a high tolerance to pain.  I felt the most pain during the last couple of hours though.  But I refused to scream like the lady down the hall.   She was loud.  And she gave birth to a small baby.  Shannon was huge compare to hers.  ;D

Wow!  That's quite a story, Nanette!  ;D ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/01/09 at 11:00 am

I arrived 7 cm dilated at about 3 a.m in the morning and didn't deliver Shannon until 9:30 a.m.  She was slow coming out.  Maybe that was why I didn't feel much pain.  Or I could just have a high tolerance to pain.  I felt the most pain during the last couple of hours though.  But I refused to scream like the lady down the hall.   She was loud.  And she gave birth to a small baby.  Shannon was huge compare to hers.  ;D

It sounds very similar to my birthing story.  I showered, blew out my hair and put on a whole face of make-up while my husband and mother sat in our driveway in a snowstorm at 3:00 in the morning freaking out  ;D (I also didn't want to be sent home because I wasn't ready).  I had a great pregnancy, a quick and tolerable delivery.  After the birth however, my body is starting to rebel!

Written By: NbC on 01/01/09 at 9:27 pm

It sounds very similar to my birthing story.  I showered, blew out my hair and put on a whole face of make-up while my husband and mother sat in our driveway in a snowstorm at 3:00 in the morning freaking out  ;D (I also didn't want to be sent home because I wasn't ready).  I had a great pregnancy, a quick and tolerable delivery.  After the birth however, my body is starting to rebel!

Ha, Ha!  I fixed my hair and put on some make-up also.  ;D

Written By: NbC on 01/01/09 at 9:39 pm

Wow!  That's quite a story, Nanette!  ;D ;)

Here is a story.  I have a co-worker who was pregnant with her second child at the time.  She was at work and during her shift she was complaining about feeling pains.  We all told her she may be in labor but she refused to accept it.  She experienced a few false labor pains throughout the week.  She was even keeping track of her contractions.  She took her lunch break and that was when her water broke, in the break room. They had to call the ambulance to pick her up, luckily the hospital is just up a few minutes away. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/09 at 12:08 pm

Here is a story.  I have a co-worker who was pregnant with her second child at the time.  She was at work and during her shift she was complaining about feeling pains.  We all told her she may be in labor but she refused to accept it.  She experienced a few false labor pains throughout the week.  She was even keeping track of her contractions.  She took her lunch break and that was when her water broke, in the break room. They had to call the ambulance to pick her up, luckily the hospital is just up a few minutes away. 

Oh wow!  She was that close to having her baby and didn't even realize!  :o

My water broke at home with with both my kids, and it was a good 35-minute drive on the freeway to the hospital where my doctor was...

It's a good thing that it happened in the middle of the night on both occasions, as it would've taken much longer to get there if we were stuck in the normal daytime traffic!  :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/04/09 at 2:44 pm

About how long (on average) after the water breaks does birth occur?  Do the contractions get more painful after the water breaks?  How much fluid do you lose?  Are you thirsty afterwards (yeah I know it's amniotic, not water from your cells/skin/wherever but still...)?

Did anybody actually do exercise during their pregnancy?  It isn't something I'm inclined to do while I'm not pregnant, it sure as heck isn't very appealing while I'm having to carry another person around!  Does it help in the delivery any?

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/04/09 at 2:56 pm

About how long (on average) after the water breaks does birth occur?  Do the contractions get more painful after the water breaks?  How much fluid do you lose?  Are you thirsty afterwards (yeah I know it's amniotic, not water from your cells/skin/wherever but still...)?

Did anybody actually do exercise during their pregnancy?  It isn't something I'm inclined to do while I'm not pregnant, it sure as heck isn't very appealing while I'm having to carry another person around!  Does it help in the delivery any?
I stayed working through both pregnancies and I walked all the time during my second pregnancy -I believe it helps... 

Fluid loss - I am not positive on the amount, but it definately feels like you pee'd your pants real well (and both of mine were induced were they had to break the water)...  The doctors do not want childbirth to go on any longer than 24 hours after the water breaks due to dangers to the baby....  I was thirsty but I believe it was more from dehydration from them not letting me drink anything till after I had the baby (which was not till 4:00 with my second and I went in at 7:00 am) and the whole giving birth thing - Best/Worse workout of all time ;)

Written By: NbC on 01/06/09 at 9:23 pm

Oh wow!  She was that close to having her baby and didn't even realize!  :o

My water broke at home with with both my kids, and it was a good 35-minute drive on the freeway to the hospital where my doctor was...

It's a good thing that it happened in the middle of the night on both occasions, as it would've taken much longer to get there if we were stuck in the normal daytime traffic!  :o

I am sure she realized that she was in labor.  She just wanted to hang on and finish as much of her shift she can.  She is a odd that way.  ;)

I always wondered what causes the water to break.  Mine didn't break until I was wheeled into the delivery room and started to push the baby out. 

I have a co-worker who gave birth the same day, 3 hours earlier.  I asked her if she was the one that was screaming down the hall.  ;D  She wasn't but her daughter knows a boy who was delivered that same day also.  That must be the mother.  ;D 

Written By: Dagwood on 01/06/09 at 9:29 pm

I am not ashamed to admit I made a racket.  My first one, they tried to let her go normal and gave me pitosin.  I was in hard labor for 10 hours and dialated from a 2 to a 4 1/2.  I am a wimp, I was loud about it.  I was very thankful when they gave me drugs.  I think they wanted to shut me up. ;D

Written By: NbC on 01/07/09 at 3:20 am

I am not ashamed to admit I made a racket.  My first one, they tried to let her go normal and gave me pitosin.  I was in hard labor for 10 hours and dialated from a 2 to a 4 1/2.  I am a wimp, I was loud about it.  I was very thankful when they gave me drugs.  I think they wanted to shut me up. ;D

Oh gosh.  I hope you don't think I was making light of something as hard as giving birth.  I guess I was and I should be ashamed.  :-[  I know that every woman experiences pregnancy differently.  Some have such a terrible time with it that they have to be bedridden,  while other just breeze right though the whole experience.  I was fortunate enough that I didn't have a difficult time but then I only experienced it once.  My mom who had gotten pregnant at a late age (mid 40's) didn't experience labor pains at all, she only realized that she was ready to deliver when her water broke.  Of course, she had to have a c-section and that is a whole different story.  The pain is still experienced, just reversed. 

I don't think you were a wimp.  The whole birthing process is hard...from the pregnancy to weeks after the birth.  What changes our bodies make.  Many that can never be reversed.  I still can't imagine how some women can go through this over and over again.  There are many women here who have 6 or more children.  Some from later generations where it is common to have even more (12+).  Yikes!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/09 at 8:26 am

Oh gosh.  I hope you don't think I was making light of something as hard as giving birth.  I guess I was and I should be ashamed.   :-[  I know that every woman experiences pregnancy differently.  Some have such a terrible time with it that they have to be bedridden,  while other just breeze right though the whole experience.  I was fortunate enough that I didn't have a difficult time but then I only experienced it once.  My mom who had gotten pregnant at a late age (mid 40's) didn't experience labor pains at all, she only realized that she was ready to deliver when her water broke.  Of course, she had to have a c-section and that is a whole different story.  The pain is still experienced, just reversed. 

I don't think you were a wimp.  The whole birthing process is hard...from the pregnancy to weeks after the birth.  What changes our bodies make.  Many that can never be reversed.  I still can't imagine how some women can go through this over and over again.  There are many women here who have 6 or more children.  Some from later generations where it is common to have even more (12+).  Yikes!!!

Oh no, I didn't think you were making light of it.  I know women handle it differently.  No need to be ashamed. :)

I ended up with two C-Sections.  The second one, no labor and I much prefer that. I have a low tolerance for pain.....or I am a wimp.  I will admit that. ;D

Written By: ninny on 01/29/09 at 5:51 am

We spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening at the doctors office and hospital.
Missy went to school for regents exams,but was having bad back aches and pains. The school nurse thought it would be best to take her to her doctors. They did an internal exam and said that the babies head was moving down and she was thinning out,so they sent her to the hospital for a non stress test. They did another exam and said she was dialated 3,but her cervix was still in the back. They sent her to get a bite to eat and her back pains got worse.She was having contractions every 3-5 minutes,but because she is only 36 weeks and 4 days they want it to take its natural course. If she was past the 37 week mark they would have tried to induce her.
We were told it still could happen in a few days or 2 weeks later.Right now her back pains are worse and her stomach is getting harder. I am so excited..almost a grandma :) :) :) :)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/29/09 at 7:57 am

Yay, new baby!  She will be in my thoughts and prayers for a safe and quick delivery.

Written By: ninny on 01/29/09 at 8:07 am

Yay, new baby!  She will be in my thoughts and prayers for a safe and quick delivery.

Thank you :)

Written By: karen on 01/29/09 at 8:30 am

I hope it all goes well for the both of you!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/09 at 11:03 am

We spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening at the doctors office and hospital.
Missy went to school for regents exams,but was having bad back aches and pains. The school nurse thought it would be best to take her to her doctors. They did an internal exam and said that the babies head was moving down and she was thinning out,so they sent her to the hospital for a non stress test. They did another exam and said she was dialated 3,but her cervix was still in the back. They sent her to get a bite to eat and her back pains got worse.She was having contractions every 3-5 minutes,but because she is only 36 weeks and 4 days they want it to take its natural course. If she was past the 37 week mark they would have tried to induce her.
We were told it still could happen in a few days or 2 weeks later.Right now her back pains are worse and her stomach is getting harder. I am so excited..almost a grandma :) :) :) :)

Yay!!!

Next week we have the baby shower for granddaughter #4-yup, that's right it is going to be a girl. Eowyn Maria who is due to arrive sometime in March.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 01/29/09 at 4:56 pm

I hope it all goes well for the both of you!

Thanks :) She went back again today,but her doctor was off and they sent over a woman doctor to check her and she was a B*TCH. She told her that she doesn't need to come everytime she has pain,she maybe in pain for another 2 weeks,she told her get use to it. She said the last 2-3 weeks seperates the girls from the woman in how much pain they can take >:(. I got the impression that they don't think you can go in labor early..I was 2 weeks 2 days early for Timmy,and 3 weeks 3 days early for Missy.HELLO doctors don't give her a look when she says she is a couple of days from being 37 weeks she may still have it early.
Now we do the waiting game. The school is finding her a tutor.

Yay!!!

Next week we have the baby shower for granddaughter #4-yup, that's right it is going to be a girl. Eowyn Maria who is due to arrive sometime in March.

Cat

A Girl!! congratulations :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/29/09 at 6:20 pm

Hope all goes well Ninny, I would go to the doctor as much as I felt comfortable.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/29/09 at 7:06 pm

Thanks :) She went back again today,but her doctor was off and they sent over a woman doctor to check her and she was a B*TCH. She told her that she doesn't need to come everytime she has pain,she maybe in pain for another 2 weeks,she told her get use to it. She said the last 2-3 weeks seperates the girls from the woman in how much pain they can take >:(. I got the impression that they don't think you can go in labor early..I was 2 weeks 2 days early for Timmy,and 3 weeks 3 days early for Missy.HELLO doctors don't give her a look when she says she is a couple of days from being 37 weeks she may still have it early.
Now we do the waiting game. The school is finding her a tutor.A Girl!! congratulations :)

She sounds like one of those doctors that act like having an epidural makes you less of a woman.  What a twit.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/29/09 at 9:11 pm

Good luck to Missy, ninny and also to your stepdaughter, Cat!  May everything turn out well.

We got out of the house and went to a diner to eat and our waitress was REALLY pregnant, I felt so bad that I wanted to get up, make her take my seat, go put my order in and bus tables myself for her.  ;D  She was very nice and was moving around quite well considering. I asked her if it was alright to ask when she was due (sometimes I don't know what is proper etiquette) (I know better then to ask to rub her belly, that is just plain rude and too personal.)  But I thought maybe asking about when she was due wouldn't be too bad of a faux pa.  She said she didn't mind me asking, and that she was due in February.  She was very round and looked like she was carrying low (as my limited knowledge in the subject is.)  She didn't appear to be big anywhere else, just her tummy.  She was cute.  We gave her a good tip (as we always do to our waitresses.)  I congratulated her and my hubby wished her good luck.  :)

Written By: ninny on 01/30/09 at 7:37 am

Hope all goes well Ninny, I would go to the doctor as much as I felt comfortable.

She sounds like one of those doctors that act like having an epidural makes you less of a woman.  What a twit.

Good luck to Missy, ninny and also to your stepdaughter, Cat!  May everything turn out well.

We got out of the house and went to a diner to eat and our waitress was REALLY pregnant, I felt so bad that I wanted to get up, make her take my seat, go put my order in and bus tables myself for her.   ;D  She was very nice and was moving around quite well considering. I asked her if it was alright to ask when she was due (sometimes I don't know what is proper etiquette) (I know better then to ask to rub her belly, that is just plain rude and too personal.)  But I thought maybe asking about when she was due wouldn't be too bad of a faux pa.  She said she didn't mind me asking, and that she was due in February.  She was very round and looked like she was carrying low (as my limited knowledge in the subject is.)  She didn't appear to be big anywhere else, just her tummy.  She was cute.  We gave her a good tip (as we always do to our waitresses.)  I congratulated her and my hubby wished her good luck.  :)

Thanks :) Right now her pain is steady but not getting any worse,so I told her that if she started getting pain that was unbearable or her water broke that she will have to put up with the small pain because it will get a lot harder.Her next appt is Wednesday so if we make it that long,we'll see if she is farther dilated.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/09 at 7:42 am

Thanks :) Right now her pain is steady but not getting any worse,so I told her that if she started getting pain that was unbearable or her water broke that she will have to put up with the small pain because it will get a lot harder.Her next appt is Wednesday so if we make it that long,we'll see if she is farther dilated.

Doesn't sound as if she will make it to Wednesday. 

Written By: ninny on 01/30/09 at 1:18 pm

Doesn't sound as if she will make it to Wednesday. 

That's what I was thinking,but the one doctor said she could go on like this for the next 2-3 weeks.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/09 at 4:40 pm

That's what I was thinking,but the one doctor said she could go on like this for the next 2-3 weeks.

:o 

Written By: karen on 02/07/09 at 10:16 pm

Any more news ninny?

Written By: ninny on 02/11/09 at 5:44 pm

Any more news ninny?

Missy is in the hospital,she is dilated six and a half at 6:00 pm,so it wont be long.
I will keep you all posted.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/09 at 5:53 pm

Missy is in the hospital,she is dilated six and a half at 6:00 pm,so it wont be long.

Way cool, Grandma.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/09 at 6:49 pm

YAY!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 7:05 pm

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/tigermoonk70/BABY/baby.jpg

CONGRATS!!!

Written By: karen on 02/11/09 at 7:39 pm

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa86/tigermoonk70/BABY/baby.jpg

CONGRATS!!!

Wise Woman says you hold baby like that too long, you get poop on hands

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 8:07 pm

Wise Woman says you hold baby like that too long, you get poop on hands

wise woman very observant and very wise!

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/11/09 at 8:08 pm

Congratulation grandma soon-to be!!!!  My thoughts are with you, and post lots a pics ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/11/09 at 8:09 pm

^after the baby is clean though :P

;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/09 at 8:22 pm

^after the baby is clean though :P

;D

yeah...please no pics of the baby covered in jello!

Written By: ninny on 02/12/09 at 5:26 am

Missy had Daniel William at 12:05AM Feb12. He weighed in at 7lbs 7oz 20 inches long,with light brownish colored hair with a red tint.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/09 at 5:51 am

Congratulations Baby-Grandma!!!!

http://www.chromasia.com/images/international_fireworks_2_b.jpg

Written By: karen on 02/12/09 at 9:12 am

Missy had Daniel William at 12:05AM Feb12. He weighed in at 7lbs 7oz 20 inches long,with light brownish colored hair with a red tint.

Congratulations Missy and ninny

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/12/09 at 10:25 am

Yay!  Congratulations to the proud Mama and Grandmama!  Good job Missy!  Eagerly awaiting baby pics.  :)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylinfant.gif  Welcome to this crazy world, newest baby penguin! lol

Written By: Dagwood on 02/12/09 at 11:25 am

Congrats, Grandma! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/12/09 at 12:43 pm

CONGRATS!!!!

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/12/09 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations NINNY a new bundle of joy ;D

For somebody who posts soooo many pictures, I expected to see a fold out wallet full of them. ;)  Must be the long night ;D

I am anxiously waiting

Written By: ninny on 02/13/09 at 6:23 am

Congratulations Baby-Grandma!!!!

http://www.chromasia.com/images/international_fireworks_2_b.jpg

Congratulations Missy and ninny

Yay!  Congratulations to the proud Mama and Grandmama!  Good job Missy!  Eagerly awaiting baby pics.   :)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylinfant.gif  Welcome to this crazy world, newest baby penguin! lol

Congrats, Grandma! :)

CONGRATS!!!!

Cat

Congratulations NINNY a new bundle of joy ;D

For somebody who posts soooo many pictures, I expected to see a fold out wallet full of them. ;)  Must be the long night ;D

I am anxiously waiting

Thanks everyone. I'm soooooooooooooooooexcited. I've been at the hospital during the day while Tim is working.
Daniel has been a great baby,the only time he has cried is when he is getting changed.
I'm still waiting for Missy to post her pics,so I know which ones she wants posted (She comes home Saturday)
The hospital is taking one pic for free that they put on their website.www.thompsonhealth.com then you go to baby bytes. He is getting his picture taken today..

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/13/09 at 9:50 am

Congratulations and Karma, Ninny.  I cannot see the picture you posted, however  :(

Written By: ninny on 02/13/09 at 6:09 pm

Congratulations and Karma, Ninny.  I cannot see the picture you posted, however  :(

Here is a couple of pics
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/lemonsucker2/DanielWilliam_1S12.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/lemonsucker2/DanielWilliam_2S12.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 02/13/09 at 7:23 pm

He's beautiful, Ninny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/09 at 10:43 am

Here is a couple of pics
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/lemonsucker2/DanielWilliam_1S12.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/lemonsucker2/DanielWilliam_2S12.jpg

Beautiful. Congrats again.

Cat

Written By: ninny on 02/15/09 at 4:22 am

He's beautiful, Ninny.

Beautiful. Congrats again.

Cat

Thank you. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/15/09 at 9:56 am

Aww, he's beautiful, Ninny.

Written By: ninny on 02/15/09 at 1:52 pm

Aww, he's beautiful, Ninny.

Thank You :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/15/09 at 6:55 pm

WHat a cute little bundle of joy, congratulations to the family ;)

:)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 7:04 pm

:-[  :\'(  I remember my first. Didn't last long, and how depressed I was after losing the baby. I didn't even know the gender. Can't believe that was over a year ago. :\'(  I remember my mother being so angry with me because I never married, and Lee was just a boyfriend. Now I'm all by myself, taking care of her. Things sure have changed in a period of only 3 years!

Check for new replies or respond here...