inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Random Acts Of Kindness

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/12/08 at 12:29 pm

Yeah, I took the title from Dear Abby but I'm sure all of us have been "victims" of random acts of kindness by someone-known or unknown. Here is one of mine that happened today.

I got the mail today and there was an envelope addressed to me from Staples in Rutland. I can't remember the last time I had been there and didn't think I was on some kind of shopper's program of theirs. I opened the envelope and it looked like a check. Sure enough. It was a check that I wrote to my cleaning person. She went to Staples and dropped the check. I called her today to tell her that I had it. She didn't even realized that she lost it (hadn't gone to the bank yet to deposit it). She told me that she would have panicked if she went to the bank and discovered it was missing.

Yesterday when I was at my hair dressers, I told her that my scalp has been getting dry-probably because the heat is now turned on. She said that she would give me something to take home-and that she did. She handed it to me and said, "Merry Christmas" and did not charge me for it. This was a Paul Mitchell shampoo & a Biolage conditioner-neither were the "trial" size and both, I believe, are on the expensive side.

Let's hear more stories.

Cat

Subject: Re: Random Acts Of Kindness

Written By: snozberries on 12/12/08 at 9:06 pm

During the fire I had only $15 to my name. 

One of the police officers bought me dinner that night
One co-worker gave me a 10
A captain gave me a $20 (plus the tip about the hotel)
A coporal bought me breakfast on Sunday
and another officer bought me lunch.

I was eligible for a loan from work so I took it because I was deep in the hole that month and I was so overwhelmed by the generosity I saw a woman (not homeless but poor) digging in the trash for bottles and cans. I had 20 plastic bottles in my car I gave them to her plus I gave her $20... it felt good.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/12/08 at 10:29 pm

A few years ago we were so poor we couldn't even afford a tree.  A bunch of girls from work got together and bought us one so Sarah could have one.  Then, every day for a week, when I left work there were presents in my car from anonymous.  I thought it was sweet.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/13/08 at 4:21 am

lol We had a RAOK that kinda backfired.

We went through Starbucks drive-through to get me a scone and hubby a tea (or something), our order would have cost about $6 or so.  Got up to the window, the cashier said in a perky voice, you don't owe anything, the car ahead paid for your order, would you like to pay for the car behind you as a random act of kindness?  What are you gonna say to that?  No?  So we paid, as it turned out the car behind us ordered something that cost around $15 dollars.  So it was kinda messed up.  ;D

We've given people quarters in the laundrymat since I tend to go overboard and like to have alot more then we need, just in case I wanna do every piece of clothing that I own.  :D

We usually bought my hubby's friends their dinners when we'd all go out.

I dunno, I guess it's just random.  I'm sure there were other nice things that happened for us over the years.  If I think of more, I'll post them

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/08 at 6:28 am

We went through Starbucks drive-through to get me a scone and hubby a tea (or something), our order would have cost about $6 or so.  Got up to the window, the cashier said in a perky voice, you don't owe anything, the car ahead paid for your order, would you like to pay for the car behind you as a random act of kindness?  What are you gonna say to that?  No?  So we paid, as it turned out the car behind us ordered something that cost around $15 dollars.  So it was kinda messed up.   ;D

We usually bought my hubby's friends their dinners when we'd all go out.

I dunno, I guess it's just random.  I'm sure there were other nice things that happened for us over the years.  If I think of more, I'll post them

Wait, what? You went to the drive up, then waited for them to tell you how much it cost for the guy behind and collected the money? I wonder if Miss Perky told them you were paying for the order before they ordered.  If Starbucks asked, and everyone did pay for a coffee for the guy behind, then everybody is still paying for their coffee, so who benefits from the RAOK. This is all so confusing to me.  It works better at toll booths, you know exactly what it will cost.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/15/20 at 7:32 am

I donate often. I also help St. Jude hospital. And, Unicef.

Check for new replies or respond here...