inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Asperger syndrome

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/08 at 7:25 pm

Asperger syndrome is a form of high-functioning autism.  A couple of years ago my mother suggested I had it.  I vociferously denied it.  I didn't want to hear it from her.

However, a couple of weeks ago I lost another job because of Aspergerian behavior.  I decided to take another look at the diagnosis.  Not all characteristics apply to me, but some are astoundingly similar:

a) Qualitative impairment in social interaction.

b) Restricted patterns of behavior, activities and interests.

c) No clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language.

d) Physical clumsiness.

Also,

Unlike those with autism, people with AS are not usually withdrawn around others; they approach others, even if awkwardly, for example by engaging in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as need for privacy or haste to leave.  This social awkwardness has been called "active but odd".

Stereotyped and repetitive motor behaviors are a core part of the diagnosis of AS and other ASDs. They include hand movements such as flapping or twisting, and complex whole-body movements. These are typically repeated in longer bursts and look more voluntary or ritualistic than tics, which are usually faster, less rhythmical and less often symmetrical.

Children with AS may have an unusually sophisticated vocabulary at a young age and have been colloquially called "little professors."
In fact, my big sister's friends used to call me "the little professor."

Compared to individuals with high-functioning autism, individuals with AS have deficits in some tasks involving visual-spatial perception, auditory perception, or visual memory.
I always scored below average on mathematical and visual-spatial portions of standardized test, including IQ, but far above average in verbal.

Children with AS may be delayed in acquiring skills requiring motor dexterity, such as riding a bicycle or opening a jar, and may seem to move awkwardly or feel "uncomfortable in their own skin". They may be poorly coordinated, or have an odd or bouncy gait or posture, poor handwriting, or problems with visual-motor integration.
I was delayed in most skills requiring motor dexterity.  Some I never learned at all.  My coordination was not good, which, along with small stature, discouraged me from participating in sports.  I also had terrible somatic discomfort of unknown etiology well into my thirties.

Children with AS are more likely to have sleep problems, including difficulty in falling asleep, frequent nocturnal awakenings, and early morning awakenings.
From ages nine to about twelve I used to wake up at 3:00 a.m. and listen to the radio for a couple of hours before falling asleep again.  To this day I tend to keep an eratic sleep schedule. 

Many accounts of individuals with AS and ASD report other unusual sensory and perceptual skills and experiences. They may be unusually sensitive or insensitive to sound, light, touch, texture, taste, smell, pain, temperature, and other stimuli, and they may exhibit synesthesia.
I never experienced synesthesia, but I was always strangely affected by certain tastes and odors.  My hypersensitivity to textures is mostly gustatory, which, in conjunction with taste repulsions, led to dietary restrictions that continue to adversely affect my health.  I could never explain why foods such as fresh tomatoes or cooked spinach made me feel so sick.  I wasn't allergic.  Perhaps it's a component of Asperger's. 
With the visual and auditory, however, the more exotic the better.  I like abstract and surrealist art and the strangest kinds of music ever composed!

Asperger's also explains my social awkwardness, my difficulties achieving academic and career success despite plenty of brains, and my inability to maintain romantic relationships.

I'm still a little skeptical about it.  I don't like jumping to single answers for all life's adversities, yet nothing explains my eccentricities more cogently than Asperger's. 

Like ADD/ADHD, Asperger syndrome is becoming a catch-all diagnosis with overbroad applications.  That's why I rejected the notion when my mom suggested I had it.  At the same time, she was saying she has it, as does my uncle, my brother-in-law, my sister, and my late grandfather. 

Subject: Re: Asperger syndrome

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/23/08 at 9:56 pm

Max,
I agree that too many labels are thrown about and misused, but that doesn't mean they don't apply.  I'm assuming there are tests to determine if you indeed have AS.  I would think that having a diagnosis can only be to your benefit, as not just a big piece of the puzzle, but infact, the framework of your entire life.  That's huge!

Whatever you find, I wish you luck (and maybe even some peace  :))

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/08 at 10:09 pm

It's been easier assembling the pieces of the puzzle since self-diagnosing, so I have indeed found more peace. 
:)

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/23/08 at 10:19 pm

Well, that's the awesome thing about answers!  They may not be the ones you want, but they're essential.  Again, I wish you well on your journey.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/24/08 at 7:05 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_developmental_disorder_not_otherwise_specified

For those of us who don't quite qualify as autistic.  According to my neuropsychologist, I have too broad of a mind for autism.  I have the repetitive behavior, weird speech patterns and I'm socially inadequate.  Teachers used to yell at my Mom (she worked at the school) about my behavior.  Didn't pass a math course the first time around until I got into college, however I score very high in social sciences.  I've always had trouble being around peers but very comfortable around adults.  My childhood best friend was in his 50's.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/28/08 at 4:18 pm

Max, I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job.  When you say that it was due to Aspergerian behavior, what do you mean?  (If you don't mind sharing.)  Is it legal for them to dismiss you on those grounds?  Also, if you do have Aspergers syndrome, where do you go from here? 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/28/08 at 4:52 pm

Do not believe that the idea of being diagnosed with aspergers is a life sentence.  It will mean that you will have to come to terms with who you are, and future employers will make things "fit" for you...  There are some wonderful stories of successful aspergers patients.. Dr. Temple Grandin is a terrific inspiration - I have seen her speak publically about her aspergers and the adjustments she has made.  She is a professional in the area of livestock confinements, restraints, and humane animal treatment.  She found early on she could relate to animals much easier than the human race...  and that is her specialty..  I would encourage you to look at her story! Good luck, and you are fine even if you do have this syndrome or disorder.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 1:55 am

I appreciate the counsel, but I would rather discuss the nature of Asperger's and such developmental issues in general.  Otherwise, threads like this focus on one person's issues, which gets dull rather quickly. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_developmental_disorder_not_otherwise_specified

For those of us who don't quite qualify as autistic.  According to my neuropsychologist, I have too broad of a mind for autism.  I have the repetitive behavior, weird speech patterns and I'm socially inadequate.  Teachers used to yell at my Mom (she worked at the school) about my behavior.  Didn't pass a math course the first time around until I got into college, however I score very high in social sciences.  I've always had trouble being around peers but very comfortable around adults.  My childhood best friend was in his 50's.

I say it's only a problem when it is standing between you and something you need.  That's the only reason I mentioned the problem with employment, which is a biggie among so-called "Aspies."

As you are saying about school, when we were growing up, our behavioral issues were called a question of "willfulness."  Where conservatives err is when they call a ADD or Asperger's an "excuse."  Indeed, to treat it as such is counterproductive.  However, no matter what my fifth teacher did, I would come to class without my homework done.  There was a lot of yelling and pressuring and parent-teacher conferences about my behavior, but nothing got done.  Maybe if we can understand the nature of neurological development better, we can develop more efficacious solutions to behavioral problems.

Written By: Davester on 12/29/08 at 5:50 am

Tough luck about the job, Max...

The diag fits my best friend to a 'T', but he was diagnosed with a form of bi-polar and hasn't been able to hold down a job for nearly ten years.  He's been drawing social security...

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/08 at 5:51 am

I appreciate the counsel, but I would rather discuss the nature of Asperger's and such developmental issues in general.  Otherwise, threads like this focus on one person's issues, which gets dull rather quickly. 

I say it's only a problem when it is standing between you and something you need.  That's the only reason I mentioned the problem with employment, which is a biggie among so-called "Aspies."

As you are saying about school, when we were growing up, our behavioral issues were called a question of "willfulness."  Where conservatives err is when they call a ADD or Asperger's an "excuse."  Indeed, to treat it as such is counterproductive.  However, no matter what my fifth teacher did, I would come to class without my homework done.  There was a lot of yelling and pressuring and parent-teacher conferences about my behavior, but nothing got done.  Maybe if we can understand the nature of neurological development better, we can develop more efficacious solutions to behavioral problems.

The biggest problem I see in the world of education is that there is a specific mold that has been set, and those of use out of the mold are labeled lazy, stupid, delayed....anything other than turning the focus back on the regimented system of how we are taught. One school fits all.  When children are labelled as such they tend believe what they are told about themselves, and go through a lifetime of anger, or trying to "make themselves right" which destroys that which is most valuable in them. People with means do have ways of opting out of the system to more innovative approaches, but those stuck in the public school mold are basically doomed. 

I am not sure what the answer to all this is.  Smaller (much smaller) class sizes, more and better educated teachers, better facilities all come into it.  The first, and easiest would be to stop denigrating those of us people who don't fit into the mold.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/08 at 6:00 am

Oh, yeah, Max... When my son was a baby I used to call him "the little professor", that was before I found out that he has autism. It was because he was always looking at things so intently, and seemed so aware of what was going on about him.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/29/08 at 10:15 am

You bring up a good point.  Shaming someone into "behaving" only makes the situation worse.  Sometimes even special classes don't help.  It's the school environment period.  School for kids with any kind of developmental disorder is traumatizing.  Really weird thing is I still find it difficult to be among my peers and my childhood best friend who is now 74 is still defending me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 6:28 pm

I went to a private school from K-5.  They tried to help me out with specialized art and eurythmy tutoring.  Steiner schools are big on that stuff.  Their intentions were good, but the outcome was ineffective. 

Stressful home life had more to do with my outbursts and inattentiveness in elementary school than Asperger's.  One of my nieces is going through the same thing after her parents' divorce and some other family hardships. 

I see similar patterns of behavior among several family members going back to my grandfather.  By outward standards, he was very successful, a physician--a psychiatrist at that!  However, he was a very strange and distant man.  The worst thing I did was compare myself to him.  One time his auto mechanic asked me, "So why you no be a doctor like your grandfather?"  I just wanted to shrink and disappear.  I felt like I was just as smart as grandpa was, but I never figured out why I didn't excel in school and career like he did.  Yet, grandpa was unreachable.  He was not deliberately cold; he just didn't seem to realize how isolated he seemed.  I still remember him sitting at the head of the table with his little reading glasses on scribbling notes about god-knows-what onto bits of paper.  Sometimes he would chime in deadpan with a funny anectdote and then recede back into his little world. 

My mother thinks grandpa had Asperger's, but I think he might have had an anomalous form of high-functioning autism. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/30/08 at 2:48 pm

I went to a private school from K-5.  They tried to help me out with specialized art and eurythmy tutoring.  Steiner schools are big on that stuff.  Their intentions were good, but the outcome was ineffective. 

Stressful home life had more to do with my outbursts and inattentiveness in elementary school than Asperger's.  One of my nieces is going through the same thing after her parents' divorce and some other family hardships. 

I see similar patterns of behavior among several family members going back to my grandfather.  By outward standards, he was very successful, a physician--a psychiatrist at that!  However, he was a very strange and distant man.  The worst thing I did was compare myself to him.  One time his auto mechanic asked me, "So why you no be a doctor like your grandfather?"  I just wanted to shrink and disappear.  I felt like I was just as smart as grandpa was, but I never figured out why I didn't excel in school and career like he did.  Yet, grandpa was unreachable.  He was not deliberately cold; he just didn't seem to realize how isolated he seemed.  I still remember him sitting at the head of the table with his little reading glasses on scribbling notes about god-knows-what onto bits of paper.  Sometimes he would chime in deadpan with a funny anectdote and then recede back into his little world. 

My mother thinks grandpa had Asperger's, but I think he might have had an anomalous form of high-functioning autism. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

I've found that I deal with emotional things differently.  It takes a lot for me to get emotional but when I do some moron usually suggest that  I see a professional.  I'm a bit like my Grandfather,  he's described as being a loner with his head in the clouds.  A farmer who never finished high school.  He had this ability to predict world events years before they happened.  I have one of his notebooks where he wrote everything down.  Handwriting was neat yet his thoughts and wording was unorganized.

What it comes down to with me is shove me in a room full of books alone.  Make sure I have at least a pizza a a gallon of iced tea a day.  Unfortunatly my world will never go the way I really want it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/08 at 10:40 pm

What it comes down to with me is shove me in a room full of books alone.  Make sure I have at least a pizza a a gallon of iced tea a day.  Unfortunatly my world will never go the way I really want it.

I may live in my own little world, but at least they like me there.

Oh, to have just $5M - a mere hundredth of a basis point off of Bernie Madoff's $50B scam - and a life's sentence under house arrest.  Any pizza, beer, or video game I can't order online is one I didn't want to eat, drink, or play anyway!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 12:05 am

Oh, to have just $5M - a mere hundredth of a basis point off of Bernie Madoff's $50B scam - and a life's sentence under house arrest.  Any pizza, beer, or video game I can't order online is one I didn't want to eat, drink, or play anyway!

Do they pay fer female comapny when yer under house arrest?  if so, how do I apply?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/01/09 at 2:07 pm

That is so very true.  We don't need much.  Just the basic necessities, food, booze, caffeine, computer, books, credit card, limited or no interaction with other humans. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/02/09 at 12:00 am

That is so very true.  We don't need much.  Just the basic necessities, food, booze, caffeine, computer, books, credit card, limited or no interaction with other humans. :)

"Have an incredible day!"
"Look, thanks for the coffee, and here's a decent tip, but if I wanted to interact with people, I'd be behind a computer wearing a headset..." :)

Written By: Bobo on 01/06/09 at 7:35 am

This thread has gotten me thinking:

I have only recently learned that when I was young I was actually tested to see whether I had Asperger's Syndrome. I have complained again and again, though perhaps not on this messageboard, that nowadays psychologists will label any disease that seems "hip" — including Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD (which several years ago was an actual psychological disorder, nowadays any kid who seems hyperactive in school seems to be able to be labelled with it).

Me and my psychotherapist were recently discussing, whether I would nowadays be labelled an Asperger's kid. Not that anything would be particularly different about the way I act or the way I come across,  but...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/09 at 2:35 pm

This thread has gotten me thinking:

I have only recently learned that when I was young I was actually tested to see whether I had Asperger's Syndrome. I have complained again and again, though perhaps not on this messageboard, that nowadays psychologists will label any disease that seems "hip" — including Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD (which several years ago was an actual psychological disorder, nowadays any kid who seems hyperactive in school seems to be able to be labelled with it).

Me and my psychotherapist were recently discussing, whether I would nowadays be labelled an Asperger's kid. Not that anything would be particularly different about the way I act or the way I come across,  but...

That's why I'm still a little skeptical.  Yet, 2/3 of the diagnostic criteria bears an uncanny resemblance to me.  So there we are...

Written By: woops on 12/16/09 at 3:21 pm

I actually like that there's more awareness of Autism & Asperger's in the past decade. 

I would talk about myself, but  don't think it's best to talk about myself since I don't trust Inthe00s or public messageboards.

Written By: Tam on 12/16/09 at 4:19 pm

I actually like that there's more awareness of Autism & Asperger's in the past decade. 

I would talk about myself, but  don't think it's best to talk about myself since I don't trust Inthe00s or public messageboards.

You know?
I find it odd that you would post in a thread that is almost a year without replies, only to say you would talk about yourself but you don't trust 'us' or public message boards.
Obviously, if you didn't trust us or message boards, you wouldn't post on them at all, so this is not the case. Is it that you are just looking for something to post in and decided that you would actually post as yourself instead of using a pseudonym or what? You confuse the heck out of me every single day! I don't get it.

So, thanks for not trusting me... I don't trust you either.

now... other posters, please post as you will.

Written By: woops on 12/16/09 at 4:25 pm

I didn't mean to offend.

It's mainly because I have many online bullies on this forum and not taken seriously.

I should've written something like "I may or not have..." instead. Though will admit that I have issues with low esteem and yes I talk to professionals and  people I actually know.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 4:56 pm

You know?
I find it odd that you would post in a thread that is almost a year without replies, only to say you would talk about yourself but you don't trust 'us' or public message boards.
Obviously, if you didn't trust us or message boards, you wouldn't post on them at all, so this is not the case. Is it that you are just looking for something to post in and decided that you would actually post as yourself instead of using a pseudonym or what? You confuse the heck out of me every single day! I don't get it.

So, thanks for not trusting me... I don't trust you either.

now... other posters, please post as you will.

What Tam said. :)

It seems to me like you are just stirring up crap.  Trying to start a fight so you can have another reason to say you are bullied without owning up to any responsibility in what happens.

Written By: woops on 12/16/09 at 5:00 pm

Since nobody takes me seriously, I'll delete myself.

Written By: Jessica on 12/16/09 at 5:02 pm

Bye.

To elaborate a bit further, it is always highly suspect when someone dredges up a year old thread to state that they may or may not have some relation to said thread topic, but then ends their post with a, "I'm not going to talk about it because I've been bullied on here before" crap.  If you're going to bring it up, talk about it or don't bring it up at all.

And sort of indirectly related to this, but not aimed entirely at woops: every time there is conflict on this board, the perceived victim always comes out with the, "Oh, I have Asperger's/Autism/Social Disorders/Low Self-Esteem/Whatever ailment you can think of, so you should pity me and let me get away with murder" BS.  It's irritating, annoying, and just downright stupid.  Having Asperger's or Autism or whatever does not give you a free pass to act up.

/end rant

Written By: Dagwood on 12/16/09 at 5:50 pm

And sort of indirectly related to this, but not aimed entirely at woops: every time there is conflict on this board, the perceived victim always comes out with the, "Oh, I have Asperger's/Autism/Social Disorders/Low Self-Esteem/Whatever ailment you can think of, so you should pity me and let me get away with murder" BS.  It's irritating, annoying, and just downright stupid.  Having Asperger's or Autism or whatever does not give you a free pass to act up.

/end rant

Exactly.  It is no different than my daughters 4th grade teacher trying to justify the kid that was bullying her by saying that he has ADHD.  That doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/16/09 at 7:26 pm

Bye.

To elaborate a bit further, it is always highly suspect when someone dredges up a year old thread to state that they may or may not have some relation to said thread topic, but then ends their post with a, "I'm not going to talk about it because I've been bullied on here before" crap.  If you're going to bring it up, talk about it or don't bring it up at all.

/end rant
I have ADHD - and that's all I will say ::)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/16/09 at 7:27 pm

Exactly.  It is no different than my daughters 4th grade teacher trying to justify the kid that was bullying her by saying that he has ADHD.  That doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong.
Oh him too  :o

Written By: karen on 12/16/09 at 7:32 pm

Reading Max's first post (how come I missed it first time round?) I think might son my have asperger's.  High functioning mathematically, comfortable around adults, considered slightly weird by his peers, can't master writing, has poor social skills (goes off on a topic and won't shut up even when told).  Only learnt to ride his bike this summer.

Written By: Jessica on 12/16/09 at 7:36 pm

I have ADHD - and that's all I will say ::)

Ah, but you're not using it as an excuse to be a buttmunch on here, are you? :D

Written By: Jessica on 12/16/09 at 7:37 pm

Reading Max's first post (how come I missed it first time round?) I think might son my have asperger's.  High functioning mathematically, comfortable around adults, considered slightly weird by his peers, can't master writing, has poor social skills (goes off on a topic and won't shut up even when told).  Only learnt to ride his bike this summer.

Sort of sounds like me, except the math and writing skills are reversed.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/16/09 at 7:50 pm

Ah, but you're not using it as an excuse to be a buttmunch on here, are you? :D
I guess that's for me to know and you to find out  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 11:40 pm

The troubling thing about Asperger's is that the diagnostic criteria are broad and vague. 

Kids learn things at different rates.  People have different talents and different strengths and weaknesses.  That's always been the case. 

A child who has trouble learning or socializing needs patience, love, reassurance, and sometimes firm discipline.  Adults who are "different" intellectually or behaviorally deserve the same dignity and respect as "normal" people, provided said differences don't hurt others in a palpable way. 

This came up for me a couple of years ago when my mother was going about diagnosing herself and half the people in our family with Asperger's.  I just don't think it's worth a wooden nickel to put some label on anybody who does not fit in. 

The real "problem" in our family is not enough love and too much anger.  That's got to change, and I have determined it shall change starting with me. 

Anyway, our educational model is industrial and conformist.  It has only gotten worse with all this emphasis on standardized testing.  If a kid can't learn arithmetic or spelling the same way as everybody else, we'll label him as learning disabled, or if he prefers talking about the trees at the playground rather than playing kickball, we'll say he has Asperger's.  I think this is a destructive approach. 

Einstein's teachers thought he was a dull boy. He wasn't even good at math.  He was a clerk in a patent office while he was formulating the ideas that would revolutionize how we see the universe itself.  Did Einstein have Asperger's? 
???

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/09 at 6:27 am

The educational system is one of those issues that sets my off, so I will just say that 99% of the time it sucks.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/17/09 at 8:15 am

He's probably a very sensitive and good kid with a heart of gold.  Sounds like my best friend. 

Written By: Gis on 12/18/09 at 3:40 pm

My nephew has ADHD and he would never bully, if anything he goes to the other extreme and stands up for other kids being bullied. It's interesting what Bobo said about these days a kid that misbehaves in class and the parents cry ADHD when it's just plain bad behaviour. It's got to the point where people like my nephew who really have it aren't believed. I have a friend who says there is no such thing, personally I would like to see her stuck in a room with him when he hasn't had his meds!

It seems the U.K is better at accepting adults with Aspergers into the work place which surprises me actually. For example we have a couple of lads who work at the library, one with Aspergers and one Autistic. I like the fact they support them to work to a level that suits their abilities and at which they are comfortable, rather than just assuming they are only capable of sweeping the floor. There are equal opportunity schemes in place which I think is fantastic.   

Written By: ninny on 12/18/09 at 4:17 pm

A friend of mine has a son who is 24 who has Aspergers, she says he does fine as long as he sticks to his routine. One day he took a different route to work and panicked and got into a fender bender, he left the scene and the police went to his house, after his mother explained the situation they did not press charges.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/09 at 2:02 am

He's probably a very sensitive and good kid with a heart of gold.   

That was my assessment too. 
:)

Unrelated Asperger tale:

I might have mentioned my friend Todd in my initial post.  He and I were close friends in high school.  We had our own jokes and camaraderie.  We listened to the Smiths and Joy Division.  We recited Monty Python sketches and lampooned teachers and talked of our pursuits of girls  As creative and perceptive as Todd was, he could seem very absent sometimes.  Was it something I did?  Sometimes he could rudely cancel plans and go hang out with other friends of his he knew I didn't like.  I thought he was being  a prick on purpose.  Then I graduated and left town.  I tried to stay in touch with Todd via letters, but those tapered off.  I finally rekindled friendship with Todd in the mid-90s.  He said he never had any devices against me in high school.  I had been paranoid that the other guys were discouraging him from hanging around with me because I was soooo frikkin' weird.  Todd denied any such a thing had occurred.  He had no explanation of his own behavior nor complaints about mine at the earlier time.

In the years between, Todd had been the singer and lyricist in a couple of punk/pop bands.  One of his bandmates was the younger brother of a girl who had spurned me in high school.  Alyssa was in Todd's band "Sourpuss" later playing bass.  Anyway, Todd was not getting along with this guy Brian, a decent enough fellow, and despised the drummer "Sourpuss," Ken.  I still know Ken and Brian, but none of us can find Todd. 

Todd got married to a nice girl in 1999, had a kid, moved to Maine, and I cannot find him anywhere. 

I remember the Asperger's occurring to me when we used to hang out at the coffeeshop in the '90s.  He could sit there for 20 minutes straight and say nothing if you didn't.  He'd doodle around with his contact lenses, his eyes all bloodshot and nasty!  I said, "What the hell is going on here?"
"What?"
"You haven't spoken in 20 minutes.  I'm just sipping this latte and staring at the magazine rack.  Something bothering you?"
"No," Todd shrugged and went about poking at his contacts.

There was sort of a joke around town when we were in high school of Todd sitting at the counter of Denny's wearing his Gothic black trenchcoat, sipping black coffee, and chain smoking Marlboros.  He'd always have Joy Division, The Smiths, The Buzzcocks, Kate Bush, or something like that blasting in his Walkman.  The kid was unreachable.  Everybody thought it was comically macabre.

The popularized term "Asperger Syndrome" in the late '90s made me wonder if he was indeed not being chicly antisocial but was just stuck in his element.  The later troubles he had with the guys in his bands pointed to something similar.  Todd rained down complaints to me against Brian and Ken and their slovenly ways, but neither Ken nor Brian has ever said anything bad about Todd.  We're all just wondering where are friend is.  I might have to see if his parents are still alive and find out that way...but if Todd doesn't want to be found, I guess it's not my business to find him.
:(

Check for new replies or respond here...