inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did anyone else relate better to older people as kids (or even now)?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/08 at 12:25 pm

I always liked talking to people and being more conversational and creative, so I guess that's why adults usually seemed more interesting to me. I was kinda shy too up until I was as old as 14/15, and they just usually seemed easier to talk with. I mean like sometimes not just a few years older, but people my parents ages.

Oh, don't get me wrong I loved stuff like drawing and video games too. I had some peer friends, but they were more "casual" (i.e. kids at school or like my parents' friends' kids) and I was too shy sometimes to hang out with them on a regular basis. Individually was cool, but as a group I felt kinda awkward and bored sometimes. The kids I clicked with tended to be the less obnoxious ones (I dug anyone who was funny), and I also usually got along with girls better, lol. ;)

To be honest even today I tend to talk better individually to people than to a group. Doing acting or stuff on stage is different, but I mean like day to day interactions. Older people usually aren't as wrapped up in their own world (like only hanging with their clique of friends or texting and partying).

Subject: Re: Did anyone else relate better to older people as kids (or even now)?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 1:46 am

Duly noted in my Asperger thread, my sister's friends called me "the little professor."  I was always reading atlases and almanacs and saying stuff like "Burundi is the poorest country in the world," and "Pluto's the planet the farthest from the sun, except sometimes Neptune exceeds the distance of Pluto's orbit..."  So my sister's friends would be passing a bowl around and they'd say, "Hey, groovy, you're pretty smart, little professor!"  Whereas, the tough kids in the neighborhood would just give me a wedgie and stick my glasses in a mess of doglinks!
:o

Subject: Re: Did anyone else relate better to older people as kids (or even now)?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/29/08 at 5:33 pm

Duly noted in my Asperger thread, my sister's friends called me "the little professor."  I was always reading atlases and almanacs and saying stuff like "Burundi is the poorest country in the world," and "Pluto's the planet the farthest from the sun, except sometimes Neptune exceeds the distance of Pluto's orbit..."  So my sister's friends would be passing a bowl around and they'd say, "Hey, groovy, you're pretty smart, little professor!"  Whereas, the tough kids in the neighborhood would just give me a wedgie and stick my glasses in a mess of doglinks!
:o

Yeah, it seems like being really smart can have advantages and negatives at the same time. I've never understood why kids picked on super smart kids. You're a really intelligent guy, so I dont think it's a bad thing. ;)

To be honest, I was probably somewhere in the middle (I'm still that way with alot of different aspects of life though). For instance when I was 12 I looked and somewhat acted even younger (probably like nine, lol) but the way I communicated or looked at the world was older and more mature, probably like 16. I was more into talking than going on the playground and stuff - although I liked that too in smaller spurts.

I wasn't like a brainiack type, but I was also more analytical than most kids too, if that makes sense.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 5:47 pm

Yeah, it seems like being really smart can have advantages and negatives at the same time. I've never understood why kids picked on super smart kids. You're a really intelligent guy, so I dont think it's a bad thing. ;)

To be honest, I was probably somewhere in the middle (I'm still that way with alot of different aspects of life though). For instance when I was 12 I looked and somewhat acted even younger (probably like nine, lol) but the way I communicated or looked at the world was older and more mature, probably like 16. I was more into talking than going on the playground and stuff - although I liked that too in smaller spurts.

I wasn't like a brainiack type, but I was also more analytical than most kids too, if that makes sense.

It makes complete sense.  I went through the same thing!
:)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/01/09 at 2:21 pm

Yes, a punishment worse than death was going to a party with kids my own age.  I hung out with my Dad's friends growing up.  Could never relate to people my own age or my own gender.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/01/09 at 6:05 pm

Yes, a punishment worse than death was going to a party with kids my own age.  I hung out with my Dad's friends growing up.  Could never relate to people my own age or my own gender.

Haha me too. ;) I actually had other boys for friends sometimes, but I'd usually find myself getting bored with them quicker. I might play Nintendo games with them or whatever, but you're more focused on the screen then each other, lol. I'd love to draw and stuff like that or just talk with girls, lol.

I guess you could chalk this stuff up to adults just being talkers more of the time.

Even when it came to other kids, my best childhood friend was still notably older than me, he was 11 when I was only 7 (I went to a private Elementary school where the kids were mixed age).

Check for new replies or respond here...