inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Corporal Punishment

Written By: joeman on 12/27/08 at 4:59 pm

My parents are of mediterranean descendent and they punished my brother, myself, and my sister through corporal punishment was a bit more severe than spanking, which basically getting a twig from a tree and smacking us with it(not with the face though).  That said, I feel a bit different than others around my age because of this, since I feel I a bit more law abiding, though this could be a pyschological mechanism due to corporal punishment.  I also feel that what my parents did this in good intentions and not of 'child abuse'.  Scary thing is, when I mentioned this to my roomate, who is my age, was shocked, and thought it horrifying.

Not sure when American society looked upon spanking as something bad parents will do(I am guessing in the 70s?), but do you think bringing back spanking will do any good in raising children?  Some people I talked to said that when spanking became a taboo, more kids end up being delinquents.  Personally, I'm at limbo, as I do agree that some kids do need this punishment while at the same time when I start having kids I doubt I would even consider doing this to my own children.

What are your thoughts about corporal punishment?  Also, for those who had corporal punishment as kids, do you think it influenced your current behavoirs?

Subject: Re: Corporal Punishment

Written By: danootaandme on 12/28/08 at 5:07 am

I am not vigilant on the spanking thing, but, I think parents who blame not being able to spank, or even smack, their kids as the downfall of discipline are wrong.  In my opinion spanking isn't necessary, it is just an easy fix that is only temporary in changing behavior.  Kids will learn what they are taught.  Discipline is showing consequences to actions.  For a small child being hit is a consequence, but so is being made to sit in the corner in a chair and be quiet.  If sitting in a chair works for the very young, why would you want to hit them?  As they get older the restriction of privileges works.  It takes a tougher parent to ground a child than it takes to just haul off and hit him/her.  I have always seen hitting as an easy way out.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/28/08 at 11:57 am

I am not vigilant on the spanking thing, but, I think parents who blame not being able to spank, or even smack, their kids as the downfall of discipline are wrong.  In my opinion spanking isn't necessary, it is just an easy fix that is only temporary in changing behavior.  Kids will learn what they are taught.  Discipline is showing consequences to actions.  For a small child being hit is a consequence, but so is being made to sit in the corner in a chair and be quiet.  If sitting in a chair works for the very young, why would you want to hit them?  As they get older the restriction of privileges works.  It takes a tougher parent to ground a child than it takes to just haul off and hit him/her.  I have always seen hitting as an easy way out.

Right on!!!  The only thing spanking, or hitting accomplishes, IMHO, is to teach that it is all right to hit if you're big enough.  It totally sends the wrong message.

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/08 at 8:15 am

Ditto, Danoota and THE Don.  Spanking is not effective and may backfire!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/08 at 11:33 am

Ditto, Danoota and Don.  Spanking is not effective and may backfire!

Psst. It is Carlos, DC or THE Don. One of my pet peeves-I HATE when people call him Don.

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/29/08 at 12:11 pm

Alright, claws back in, I've modified... :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/08 at 12:16 pm

Alright, claws back in, I've modified... :D

Thanks, and karma to you. I can't help it. It is just one of my pet peeves.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/08 at 5:32 pm

Psst. It is Carlos, DC or THE Don. One of my pet peeves-I HATE when people call him Don.

Cat

The Don is too much like The Donald!
8-P

I'm not much for corporal punishment.  I don't think it should be illegal or anything.  A judicious pat on the bum can be effective.  In general, other methods of discipline are better.

Check for new replies or respond here...