inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nostalgia for your actual life vs pop culture, etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/29/08 at 8:52 pm

Even though I missed the '80s during the '90s, I realized for the most part it was usually just for smaller, no big deal things as opposed to my actual life. For example, there's a few mixtapes my dad made for us around 1987 that had some of his pseudo DJing and doing voices to annouce the songs and stuff. Within a couple years most of those had bit the dust, so I always wanted to have those back.

Now there was some more serious, life changing things I experienced at an early age (like my parents temporarily splitting up, grandparents dying and just moving around alot), so ofcouse I missed that tremendously. The sentimental value things, or old neighborhoods were basically just minor personal stuff I missed, but....I sure wasn't obsessed or constantly "living in the past" like I am now, and I think I finally understand why.

The current world was still very comfortable and familar and I hadn't experience a full change in life yet (let's say in 1995). I also had the security of being provided for by my parents as opposed to having to start fending for myself. I wasn't a toddler anymore ofcourse, but I was underage, so my life was basically still "mapped out" and structured, like going to school and all that. Adults used to tell me how you should enjoy being a kid since you don't have to worry about "life things". Geez, I really wish I'd listened 'cause now I TOTALLY understand where they were coming from. ;D

During the 90s, my earliest memories were like 8-12 years ago, which is no big deal. It's awhile but certainly not a full generation away. Nobody had aged very much from when I'd been really little, and anything I was familar/comfortable with (i.e. VHS and audio tapes, Nintendo games) were still very popular or at least had a "half presence"...so I didn't really think about time passing that much. This change also includes us all getting older (people's ages are starting to seem really weird now), sometimes even dying and the world really starting to become different.

Back then it was just mild nostalgia, now it's much bigger PLUS kinda feeling old on top of it (again since I've now lived through a time that's another era away). When there's a generation of kids around who don't know the stuff you grew up with, that can make you feel uncomfortable and kinda lame/less cool. I'm more old-school for my age anyway, so that speeds it up even further.

I realize now how badly I just miss little things you take for granted at the time, like people being generally in one stage of their life, or not seeing my parents start to get noticeably older. I didnt take full advantage of that at the time (from being shy and all) and I think there's some regrets I have too, like how enough time has passed where it's too late to do certain things. It's like in the last few years the predictable security of my childhood and even teen years is really going away.

When I was 14 it's not like I wanted to actually BE 6 years old again, I simply missed certain things FROM that time. Now I would totally be 14 again if I could. Thats' the difference I think. ;)

Subject: Re: Nostalgia for your actual life vs pop culture, etc.

Written By: Tam on 12/29/08 at 9:01 pm

This pretty much sums it up for me:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x108/tmhaley32/growup.jpg

Now of course, I wish I was still that child that I was.
Carefree.

There are too many things for me to list, so for now I will just stick to this.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/08 at 2:10 am

For example, there's a few mixtapes my dad made for us around 1987 that had some of his pseudo DJing and doing voices to annouce the songs and stuff. Within a couple years most of those had bit the dust, so I always wanted to have those back.

Been on a retro kick myself tonight.  242 on loop, just like back in the day.  Used to do hardware hacking, and the smell of rosin-core solder still takes me back. 

Yeah, I can relate to where you used to be.  Life had a lot of potential for me, and I realized a good amount of it.  What was nice about the old days was that I didn't know how it was going to turn out, and as long as I had the soldering iron in my hand and 242 on the headphones, I didn't really care how it turned out. 

As for DJing, one of the greatest discoveries I had was of some stuff I'd taped off the radio at about the same time.  Back before P2P, the only way to get "free" music was to tape radio broadcasts.  DJs used to talk over the songs, and in more egregious cases, just play station IDs in the middle of extended mixes, which - at the time - "ruined" the tape.  Since the age of MP3, I'd had every song on this tape for years, but the degree to which a familiar radio station could take me back... was a surprise.  (The tapes wound up being digitized as they were, even though the resulting MP3s will only be heard by me.)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/08 at 10:48 am

Even though I missed the '80s during the '90s, I realized for the most part it was usually just for smaller, no big deal things as opposed to my actual life. For example, there's a few mixtapes my dad made for us around 1987 that had some of his pseudo DJing and doing voices to annouce the songs and stuff. Within a couple years most of those had bit the dust, so I always wanted to have those back.

Now there was some more serious, life changing things I experienced at an early age (like my parents temporarily splitting up, grandparents dying and just moving around alot), so ofcouse I missed that tremendously. The sentimental value things, or old neighborhoods were basically just minor personal stuff I missed, but....I sure wasn't obsessed or constantly "living in the past" like I am now, and I think I finally understand why.

The current world was still very comfortable and familar and I hadn't experience a full change in life yet (let's say in 1995). I also had the security of being provided for by my parents as opposed to having to start fending for myself. I wasn't a toddler anymore ofcourse, but I was underage, so my life was basically still "mapped out" and structured, like going to school and all that. Adults used to tell me how you should enjoy being a kid since you don't have to worry about "life things". Geez, I really wish I'd listened 'cause now I TOTALLY understand where they were coming from. ;D

During the 90s, my earliest memories were like 8-12 years ago, which is no big deal. It's awhile but certainly not a full generation away. Nobody had aged very much from when I'd been really little, and anything I was familar/comfortable with (i.e. VHS and audio tapes, Nintendo games) were still very popular or at least had a "half presence"...so I didn't really think about time passing that much. This change also includes us all getting older (people's ages are starting to seem really weird now), sometimes even dying and the world really starting to become different.

Back then it was just mild nostalgia, now it's much bigger PLUS kinda feeling old on top of it (again since I've now lived through a time that's another era away). When there's a generation of kids around who don't know the stuff you grew up with, that can make you feel uncomfortable and kinda lame/less cool. I'm more old-school for my age anyway, so that speeds it up even further.

I realize now how badly I just miss little things you take for granted at the time, like people being generally in one stage of their life, or not seeing my parents start to get noticeably older. I didnt take full advantage of that at the time (from being shy and all) and I think there's some regrets I have too, like how enough time has passed where it's too late to do certain things. It's like in the last few years the predictable security of my childhood and even teen years is really going away.

When I was 14 it's not like I wanted to actually BE 6 years old again, I simply missed certain things FROM that time. Now I would totally be 14 again if I could. Thats' the difference I think. ;)

What's up? Marty! It's 80sfan again!

Well, I missed the late 90's because of sentimental reasons and for pop culture reasons.

I missed the 1996-1998 era the most. It was during the boom years.

I don't remember much from 1990-1994 and I thought 1995 was blah and 1999 was too teen pop.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/30/08 at 11:26 am

This pretty much sums it up for me:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x108/tmhaley32/growup.jpg

Now of course, I wish I was still that child that I was.
Carefree.

There are too many things for me to list, so for now I will just stick to this.

so true, girl.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/08 at 12:32 pm

Been on a retro kick myself tonight.  242 on loop, just like back in the day.  Used to do hardware hacking, and the smell of rosin-core solder still takes me back. 

Yeah, I can relate to where you used to be.  Life had a lot of potential for me, and I realized a good amount of it.  What was nice about the old days was that I didn't know how it was going to turn out, and as long as I had the soldering iron in my hand and 242 on the headphones, I didn't really care how it turned out. 

As for DJing, one of the greatest discoveries I had was of some stuff I'd taped off the radio at about the same time.  Back before P2P, the only way to get "free" music was to tape radio broadcasts.  DJs used to talk over the songs, and in more egregious cases, just play station IDs in the middle of extended mixes, which - at the time - "ruined" the tape.  Since the age of MP3, I'd had every song on this tape for years, but the degree to which a familiar radio station could take me back... was a surprise.  (The tapes wound up being digitized as they were, even though the resulting MP3s will only be heard by me.)

I used to walk around town with 242 cassettes on my Sony Walkman with those big-azz Walkman headphones.  For me, nothing brings back 1987 like 242 records...but I don't really want to bring it back.  I don't like the nostalgia because it gives me fondness for "good old days," which were in fact not so good!
::)

Sometimes I'll see something that brings back the past in a sudden rush.  Last night they were showing the "South Park" in which the mini-Goth kids are sitting at "Benny's" drinking coffee with the waitress yelling at them for just sitting around all night drinking six dollars worth of coffee.  That was us 20 years ago!  Sometimes I wonder if my friend Todd drags his eight-year-old son to Denny's to drink black coffee at the counter and listen to The Fall on headphones. 
"It ain't like it used to be, son, they don't let you smoke here anymore.  In my day, I could go through a carton of Lucky's by 2:00!"
"Dad, can I have so clothes that aren't black?"
"Don't you kids today know nothing? We wear black on the outside 'cos black his how we feel on the inside!"
"I don't"
"Whaaaaat?"
:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/08/09 at 11:37 am

I saw this commercial not too long ago and I thought, "Holy sh!t, I WAS that kid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2qS2FAN3HI

I too remember the freedom and the wind in my hair. 

I wished it could've lasted forever. :(

Really, that should've been a Harley-Davidson commercial.

Is that what riding a Harley is like?

Is this how mid-life crises get started?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...