inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should the boards add a smite button to profiles?

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 11:19 am

So were having this discussion in the smite club thread and I thought i'd make it "global"

The way things are now you give karma to show someone you like what they wrote, you appreciate them or you just genuinely like them.

Do you think it would be nice to have the ability to smite someone for those times when you disagree with what they say?

Personally, I see a certain person who has been banned continuing to return to the boards and I would love the opportunity to smite him a few times.

Or someone disses your favorite show or artist? Would you smite them if you could?

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Should the boards add a smite button to profiles?

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 11:22 am

i am one hundred percent in favor of adding smite options to the profile.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/30/08 at 11:24 am

I don't care either way, really.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/30/08 at 11:25 am

Sure why not - but I will miss the "fun" smites :\'( :\'( :\'(  I like them :-[

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/30/08 at 11:27 am

Maybe you could continue to have silly smites in the original Smite Club thread, but have a serious one in this subforum.  Since all karma and smites are logged in the karma log, it allows the smitee to address the smiter in private to discuss the nature of the smite and how his behavior could be corrected to avoid future smites.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 11:33 am

how his behavior could be corrected to avoid future smites.
or encourage them  :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/30/08 at 11:35 am

I think there isn't any accountability with the big smite button and I'm a pretty direct person (although some people don't operate that way).  At least in the smite club you can address your reason for the smite (to members, anyway).

Written By: Jessica on 12/30/08 at 11:37 am

I think there isn't any accountability with the big smite button and I'm a pretty direct person (although some people don't operate that way).  At least in the smite club you can address your reason for the smite (to members, anyway).

Well, if you smite someone, you could always say why in the Smite thread, and if they have a bigger issue with it, then they could take it to a PM.

I'm for a smite button.  It would make my smiting easier. :D

Written By: Paul on 12/30/08 at 11:39 am

I think we did use to have some kind of 'smite' option when this board was resurrected (it's been a long while, so I could be wrong!), but I don't think it was ever used because of the risk of people 'abusing' it (i.e., smiteing for the sheer hell of smiteing...)

The 'other board' had it, tho'... ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 11:40 am

yeah  i think in the smite club the only real smites that have come out if (and there haven't been that many- in relation to the fun smites) the only real ones have been directed at non members of the club so reasons weren't usually given for the smite... tho like you- I tend to be more direct I either broke the rules and said why I smited a non member or I made it really obvious in the thread that made me want to smite them to begin with.

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 11:46 am

I think we did use to have some kind of 'smite' option when this board was resurrected (it's been a long while, so I could be wrong!), but I don't think it was ever used because of the risk of people 'abusing' it (i.e., smiteing for the sheer hell of smiteing...)

The 'other board' had it, tho'... ;)
there was a very brief period when there was smite on our profiles i think just because the mods were implementing it and they had to go back and disable the smite function. it was fun, i smited lots of people.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/30/08 at 12:09 pm

I am all for a smite button.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/08 at 12:16 pm

I have no problem with a smite club, but I vote NO on a smite button.  Please, we don't need a smite button.  It think it would turn into a spite button and bring up more grudges on the boards.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/08 at 1:00 pm

I agree with Max. There are some people who take numbers TOO seriously. This goes with posts & karma. I hate to say this that there are some people on this board who aren't mature enough to deal with a smite button.

As for me, I personally don't care one way or the other.

Cat

Written By: woops on 12/30/08 at 1:28 pm

Mine's probably would be the highest  ::) :P

(BTW, I'm being sarcastic)

Written By: Henk on 12/30/08 at 2:14 pm

I agree with Max and Cat - that's why I voted No.

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 5:57 pm

Mine's probably would be the highest  ::) :P

(BTW, I'm being sarcastic)

I seriously doubt that.  high maybe  ;)  (seriously I was kidding) but not the highest. (< that's true)

Written By: Tam on 12/30/08 at 6:25 pm

I voted when the thread opened up. :-X

I don't see a problem with the smite button.
I would have the highest count I believe.

As for spite smites - if people have to stoop to that level then obviously high school games would be back in effect right? ::)

I will weigh in again later

Written By: Tia on 12/30/08 at 6:40 pm

I voted when the thread opened up. :-X

I don't see a problem with the smite button.
I would have the highest count I believe.

As for spite smites - if people have to stoop to that level then obviously high school games would be back in effect right? ::)

I will weigh in again later

http://www.the-planets.com/star-biography/yoda_biography_3.jpg

"if the functionality to smite you seek, perhaps the ability to so this make you have, yes?"

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 6:44 pm

"if the functionality to smite you seek, perhaps the ability to so this make you have, yes?"

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa235/snozberries44/Inthe00s/sw16.jpg

Written By: thereshegoes on 12/30/08 at 6:52 pm

Yes to smite.

Written By: Tam on 12/30/08 at 7:00 pm

Yes.

But not in my hands, is the necessary power. 8)

Written By: Red Ant on 12/30/08 at 7:59 pm

It think it would turn into a spite button and bring up more grudges on the boards.

That's one thing I considered when Smite Club started - it didn't happen there.

I voted for smite but really I'd like to see karma and smite go away altogether. I'd rather get a reply of "great post" or "you're a tool" or something in between than some number adjustment. 95% of the time I have no idea why I'm getting it anyway, so karma is meaningless to me. Same with smite.

Ant

Written By: Tam on 12/30/08 at 8:54 pm

I voted for smite but really I'd like to see karma and smite go away altogether. I'd rather get a reply of "great post" or "you're a tool" or something in between than some number adjustment. 95% of the time I have no idea why I'm getting it anyway, so karma is meaningless to me. Same with smite.

Ant

Right - I agree about them going away altogether, however, there are apparently people here who count their karma to mean something more than what it is to us. I had no clue that this existed. It is truly a competition for those, and they stake much on their count. I guess it could be summed up with "it is their popularity count". Of course, it doesn't make sense to us because it isn't something we ever really look at.

And yes, the smite club - I was a little standoffish myself, because I feared that a lot of people would get hurt, or dragged through the mud with the thread, but that has never happened. The only time there have been uprisings in the thread are when non-members have come in and blown a gasket over something trivial. With smite, they can try and justify their actions all they want, but unless they are in the smite club, they know not the reason for smite, nor can they defend against smite. Plain and simple.

I will also go one further to say that I believe when karma came into effect, cliques grew....
"You gave me karma, you're my friend"
"You gave so&so karma, I am now mad at you"
"You didn't give me karma for my post!"
Yep - I have gotten these exact lines in pm's before. If it weren't for the fact that there were cliques before karma, I would think that karma in itself helped to bring about the more 'cliqueness" of this forum. So with smite, shall come more segregation... can't win for losing right?

Written By: gibbo on 12/30/08 at 9:17 pm

I agree with Max. There are some people who take numbers TOO seriously. This goes with posts & karma. I hate to say this that there are some people on this board who aren't mature enough to deal with a smite button.

As for me, I personally don't care one way or the other.

Cat

You know Cat...I tend to agree with you. I also don't care either way!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 12/30/08 at 9:27 pm

Some people may misuse it.  Besides I prefer to tell people when I'm ticked off at them.

Written By: gibbo on 12/30/08 at 10:40 pm

Ant

I think the Profile Bandit has been busy again.....

Written By: Red Ant on 12/30/08 at 10:47 pm

Right - I agree about them going away altogether, however, there are apparently people here who count their karma to mean something more than what it is to us. I had no clue that this existed. It is truly a competition for those, and they stake much on their count. I guess it could be summed up with "it is their popularity count". Of course, it doesn't make sense to us because it isn't something we ever really look at.

And yes, the smite club - I was a little standoffish myself, because I feared that a lot of people would get hurt, or dragged through the mud with the thread, but that has never happened. The only time there have been uprisings in the thread are when non-members have come in and blown a gasket over something trivial. With smite, they can try and justify their actions all they want, but unless they are in the smite club, they know not the reason for smite, nor can they defend against smite. Plain and simple.

I will also go one further to say that I believe when karma came into effect, cliques grew....
Yep - I have gotten these exact lines in pm's before. If it weren't for the fact that there were cliques before karma, I would think that karma in itself helped to bring about the more 'cliqueness" of this forum. So with smite, shall come more segregation... can't win for losing right?

I think I've given and received karma to/from just about every active user on the boards. Some more than others, but it's not like I keep a tally. Smite could possibly undo some of the 'segregation' by prompting those who are getting smitten to actually talk to the smiter. Maybe I'm naive about that point...

I've gotten similar PMs... never anything really negative though. I don't do cliques because I'm used to most of my friends mixing like oil and ammonium nitrate - one spark and BOOM!, it's an all out flame fest. Nothing to do except stand back, enjoy the show and watch the flames die down. I'm of the mindset that if (when) a friend of mine has a problem with another friend of mine, well, that's their problem, not mine.

"can't win for losing": the very definition of a moderator.  ;D

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/08 at 10:56 pm

I think I've given and received karma to/from just about every active user on the boards. Some more than others, but it's not like I keep a tally. Smite could possibly undo some of the 'segregation' by prompting those who are getting smitten to actually talk to the smiter. Maybe I'm naive about that point...

I've gotten similar PMs... never anything really negative though. I don't do cliques because I'm used to most of my friends mixing like oil and ammonium nitrate - one spark and BOOM!, it's an all out flame fest. Nothing to do except stand back, enjoy the show and watch the flames die down. I'm of the mindset that if (when) a friend of mine has a problem with another friend of mine, well, that's their problem, not mine.

"can't win for losing": the very definition of a moderator.  ;D

signature banned as well

I gave you karma signature banned as well just so I could read this...

snozberries applauds Username Deleted Today at 20:54:21

;D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/31/08 at 12:44 am

I will only vote for SMITE button if we can kiss and make up after  :-*   

seriously, I'm with the NO's on this one. Granted there are some that deserve a good SMITE, Some of us have thick skins & have no problem smiting or getting smited, but there may be some here on the board who are a bit more sensitive and it could offend someone more than intended.

VOTE NO ON THE SMITE BUTTON PROPOSITION

rushes off to SMITE CLUB  to SMITE originator of this thread

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/08 at 1:13 am

You know Cat...I tend to agree with you. I also don't care either way!

Yes you do.

Written By: Henk on 12/31/08 at 3:36 am

Guilty as charged. :-

You know, with the Smite Club...people can easily ignore that thread altogether. In fact, some people have - and I think that's why the thread never got as explosive as it could have been. Besides, the people posting there don't take the smite thing too seriously.
With a smite button, it's a completely different story. The smite count would be there for all to see - hard to ignore. That would tick off people most definitely (especially those that care about their karma count, even if they say they don't).

Written By: Dagwood on 12/31/08 at 8:12 am

Maybe if we did have the smite button we could have the option to disable it if we chose?

Like I said before, I would love one but I can see the points you guys are making about some who might be too sensitive to it.  I guess I am just looking at it from the viewpoint of one who would just laugh.  :)

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 10:28 am

Guilty as charged. :-With a smite button, it's a completely different story. The smite count would be there for all to see - hard to ignore. That would tick off people most definitely (especially those that care about their karma count, even if they say they don't).

Yet with the Smite Club, the count is still there for everyone to see, but I don't see people freaking out over it. Of course, there are those who view it, then send their pm's to others about who smited whom, and the possible reasons why. But it has rarely boiled over into the thread. (With a few exceptions mind you.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

In retrospect, it seems like maybe even allowing the karma button to be active has caused problems. If a person posts something that is great, something they worked long and hard on, but then people reply and never is there a mention of "karma +1", the poster gets all butthurt and feels like they have been ignored. They don't get the karma when they are looking for it, so it surely must mean that they are not as liked as much as they thought they were. Results: more pm's about why 'you didn't give me karma but you gave so&so karma' and the like.

Perhaps neither button should be active at all. ???

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 2:38 pm

Yes you do.

No..I don't!!  (predictable...but I didn't want to disappoint ;))

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/08 at 2:44 pm

In retrospect, it seems like maybe even allowing the karma button to be active has caused problems. If a person posts something that is great, something they worked long and hard on, but then people reply and never is there a mention of "karma +1", the poster gets all butthurt and feels like they have been ignored. They don't get the karma when they are looking for it, so it surely must mean that they are not as liked as much as they thought they were. Results: more pm's about why 'you didn't give me karma but you gave so&so karma' and the like.

Excuse me.... but I'm inching up on the 8th position on the karma log.... so please don't take my karma away... Again... I don't care why I get karma - just give it to me damn it  ;)  I just like the stats  :D

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 2:48 pm

few exceptions mind you.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is nearer the mark......   I like the karma...but have a personality that finds it a tad addictive...and therefore find myself susceptible to letting that count define whether I am liked or not (false logic, I know). Couple that with someone who may have low self esteem or suffer from bouts of depression ...and it can be an issue.

But I suppose it would be difficult to gain majority approval to delete what has been built up over time.  :-\\

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 2:50 pm

Excuse me.... but I'm inching up on the 8th position on the karma log.... so please don't take my karma away... Again... I don't care why I get karma - just give it to me damn it  ;)  I just like the stats  :D

Yeah ....rip off off us!!  Badfinger will be no better than the rest of us.  ;D .....ooh...and most important...Snoz will be upset! ;)

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/08 at 2:53 pm

Yeah ....rip off off us!!  Badfinger will be no better than the rest of us.  ;D .....ooh...and most important...Snoz will be upset! ;)

Well since Philip Eno is in first place... I suppose he would be no better than the rest of us...except for his post count which is virtually unattainable.

um... bite me gibbo  ;)   oh no need... I can just smite you  :D

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 3:02 pm

Well since Philip Eno is in first place... I suppose he would be no better than the rest of us...except for his post count which is virtually unattainable.

um... bite me gibbo  ;)   oh no need... I can just smite you  :D

damn....forgot Eno is now king!  ....but you'd be pleased to know...I'm still thinking about biting you! :P

Written By: snozberries on 12/31/08 at 3:04 pm

damn....forgot Eno is now king!  ....but you'd be pleased to know...I'm still thinking about biting you! :P

mmm  kinky...  ;)

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 4:34 pm

But I suppose it would be difficult to gain majority approval to delete what has been built up over time.  :-\\

You would think so, but remember... Admin. does not need approval at all in regards to what he does to his forum. ;) 8)

Written By: Tam on 12/31/08 at 8:50 pm

I think this is nearer the mark......   I like the karma...but have a personality that finds it a tad addictive...and therefore find myself susceptible to letting that count define whether I am liked or not (false logic, I know). Couple that with someone who may have low self esteem or suffer from bouts of depression ...and it can be an issue.

Here you go gibbo. Chucky originally never intended for it to become the popularity contest that it has....

it's something only I can see, but I can turn it on for everyone else.  It's something I coded, but I didn't want the Karma thing to become abused for purposes of people "being #1 ranked, etc".  Defeats the purpose of the thing.  As it is, I can see some people just blindly give their friends karma every day, which wasn't really what I wanted people to do with it, but it kind of ended up happening anyways.

If I could modify it to only allow people to award only one karma over a 24 hour period, instead of once per person per 24 hour period.  I might do that.  That was how I thought it worked originally anyways.

Check the karma log now, and you will see it does indeed show the rankings.

Perhaps the whole idea of 1 karma a day per person might be something to look at in order to really make the karma feature the way it is "supposed" to be.

Funny thing isn't it? My rant in the smite club took off and now I am contemplating the karma button and whether it is a necessity or not! ;D

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/08 at 9:25 pm

Here you go gibbo. Chucky originally never intended for it to become the popularity contest that it has....

Perhaps the whole idea of 1 karma a day per person might be something to look at in order to really make the karma feature the way it is "supposed" to be.

Funny thing isn't it? My rant in the smite club took off and now I am contemplating the karma button and whether it is a necessity or not! ;D

It surely was a quality rant Tam  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/08 at 11:33 pm

95% of the time I have no idea why I'm getting it anyway, so karma is meaningless to me. Same with smite.

And therein lies the problem and the solution.

I kinda like getting Karma.  It means I probably did something right.  I wish I knew what.  The server keeps track, even if we don't see the results, which posts were worthy of a Karma click.

The strangest rule about Smite Club being that you can't tell why you're smiting someone unless they're a member.  That's the whole reason I "joined".  Once upon a time, I posted a motivational poster entitled "Patience: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait".  A few people said it was over the line, even for a thread about demotivational posters.  I was fine with that (and grateful for the feedback, even though it wouldn't have changed my posting of it!), but I joined the Smite Club because - as opposed to a Smite button - it offered a way in which people could tell me not just that I'd crossed the line, but where.

Somewhere along the way, Smite Club got turned into one of the board's running gag, and while it's amusing in its own right, it's defeated the original purpose, which was to replicate the function of a "Dude(ette), that one was over the line" button. 

Back to the original point, I don't know how much time I'd invest in finding a solution, but I'd really like it if I knew, not just who applauded me, but for which posts.  Personally, I'd rather know which of my posts were karmaworthy, rather than who thought something I wrote was worthy of the applause button.  That way, I could do more of what works, and less of what doesn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 12:03 am

No..I don't!!  (predictable...

No it isn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 12:08 am

damn....forgot Eno is now king! 

King?  He used to be God in the '70s!
http://www.merryswankster.com/images/7deadlyfinns.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 01/01/09 at 12:18 am

Nah.

Mine would probably drop karma to zero just for posting cat-girls. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/09 at 12:23 am

Looook, g'head and add your smite button.  I just don't wanna hear any blubbering when you get your tiny baby-ass feelings hurt (you know who you are!)
::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/01/09 at 12:42 am

I've seen a forum that had karma or 'props' for a post. At the bottom, it'll list all the users that rated that post as helpful, funny, whatever. I cannot for the life of me remember what forum it was. Something like that here would be cool, but would require either a different board software (and the accompanying loss of all user/posts/stats/info, etc..) or a load of custom scripting.

ftr, most of the posts you make "work".

Did you ever click those links?  ;)

signature banned as well

That does sound helpful.  The loss of stats and stuff would amuse me to no end as well :D

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 1:45 pm

I just don't wanna hear any blubbering when you get your tiny baby-ass feelings hurt (you know who you are!)
::)

believe me....neither do I!

Written By: haleym8826 on 01/03/09 at 4:14 pm

I AM ALL FOR IT!!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 4:16 pm

I AM ALL FOR IT!!!!!!

the wise one speaks the truth!

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/03/09 at 5:30 pm

Isn't there enough drama as it is?  I'm completely against a "smite" button--Particularly because it's a way for a person to be hateful. . .that's not what this board is about  :-\\

Written By: Below Average Dave on 01/03/09 at 5:32 pm

Oh yeah, and because I am in contests over at AmIRight, I could see people 'smiteing' anyone who doesn't vote for them, or anyone who shorts them, and then that person hitting smite back, I can see bitterness and it can be taken personally. . .

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/07/09 at 3:11 pm

So if yes wins there'll be a smite button? Or is this just for nothing?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/09 at 4:07 pm

Maybe Tam should push Chucky to do it :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/07/09 at 4:07 pm

I think I'd also like to option to turn my karma off...but I guess it'd be nice to know when and why I was being smote :P

Written By: Tam on 01/07/09 at 6:10 pm

So if yes wins there'll be a smite button? Or is this just for nothing?

The likelihood of a smite button is null.
It doesn't matter what we do, or how we do it, someone will complain which will take everything away.

Maybe Tam should push Chucky to do it :D

I think I'd also like to option to turn my karma off...but I guess it'd be nice to know when and why I was being smote :P

Can't turn karma off for the individual, it would have to be turned off for the entire board.
And since people would complain that their karma was taken away - I guess this is all a moot point.

How I wish for the days before the karma button.
Less drama and less complaining about who gave whom and who didn't give to whom... ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/07/09 at 6:15 pm

It doesn't matter what we do, or how we do it, someone will complain which will take everything away.

Bummer.

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/09 at 7:41 pm

there's always something to complain about...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/09 at 9:22 pm

Can't turn karma off for the individual, it would have to be turned off for the entire board.
And since people would complain that their karma was taken away - I guess this is all a moot point.

Less drama and less complaining about who gave whom and who didn't give to whom... ::)

This was my assessment.  I've been around the boards a long time.  I know how things go and a smite button would not go well.

Written By: Jessica on 01/07/09 at 9:31 pm

Chucky should just do away with it all together.  If people don't like it, they can GTFO. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/09 at 9:40 pm

Chucky should just do away with it all together.  If people don't like it, they can GTFO. :)

Yeah, I agree, you've got 15 more Karma points than I, and that's not fair, 'cuz I say waaaaay better stuff than you on this board and...and...and everyone knows it!  You just go around begging for Karma points, "Oh please, Oh please, give me a Karma point, I can't feel good about myself if I don't keep getting Karma points!  Y'know whan you are?  You're a Karma wh#re!

;)

Written By: Jessica on 01/07/09 at 9:45 pm

Yeah, I agree, you've got 15 more Karma points than I, and that's not fair, 'cuz I say waaaaay better stuff than you on this board and...and...and everyone knows it!  You just go around begging for Karma points, "Oh please, Oh please, give me a Karma point, I can't feel good about myself if I don't keep getting Karma points!  Y'know whan you are?  You're a Karma wh#re!

;)

That summed it up so awesomely that you shall now only have 14 less than me. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/07/09 at 11:00 pm

whatever... I'm only 75 from the number 7 spot!  ;)

Written By: Tia on 01/08/09 at 9:17 am

i think having it be all about karma, positive reinforcement rather than negative, is well-intentioned but the effect it has is to create cheerleader popularity clubs. i actually think smites would provide a valuable counterbalance and the folks who invented the functionality may have known this, which is why they don't provide an out-of-the-box karma-only function. the mods had to customize it to make what they've done here.

there are definite unintended consequences of having nothing but karma, is my point. and many of these consequences are bad.

Written By: Jessica on 01/08/09 at 11:11 am

i think having it be all about karma, positive reinforcement rather than negative, is well-intentioned but the effect it has is to create cheerleader popularity clubs. i actually think smites would provide a valuable counterbalance and the folks who invented the functionality may have known this, which is why they don't provide an out-of-the-box karma-only function. the mods had to customize it to make what they've done here.

there are definite unintended consequences of having nothing but karma, is my point. and many of these consequences are bad.

Oh, I get what you're saying.  However, after so long a time with just karma, you'd have people bitching because someone smited them.  I don't think the smites would get out of hand like the mods are fearing, because we can obviously curb ourselves from smiting on a personal level (just look at the smite club...the only people that were smoted viciously were the trollers), but you'd have that whole, "OMG, so and so smited me and now I hate them and I'm going to cry about it and act like a dick because I got a smite and this never would have happened if it was only karma because then people couldn't tell me my post sucked" bullsh*t going on.

Honestly, after reading the posts on here, we might as well just get rid of the whole darned thing.

Then again, I'm sure that the karma whores would find something else to compare, like, oh, I don't know....post counts or how many calluses they have on their fingers or something.

Written By: Tam on 01/08/09 at 11:42 am

^ & ^^

I completely agree.
Before, I thought karma was an awesome idea, because it would give us the opportunity to "high five" someone for an awesome post. But that quickly changed. I quoted Chucky earlier in this thread, about how it hasn't turned out the way he intended it to, and I can see that now.

At one point, I had forgotten about the karma button, and that means I rarely gave any. I finally realized there was a "race" for karma when Erin was on hiatus, and people were pushing for others to take her spot on the top. I thought that was pretty weird. So I started watching the karma log and saw the first "karma clique" form. Funny thing is, this clique is now the one complaining about there being "cliques".

If it isn't one thing, then it's another. I, personally, feel the karma button should be taken away. It isn't being used properly, and like so many other people, I would rather someone say "great post Tam" or "you made me throw up a little bit in my mouth Tam" instead of them pushing a little button. That way it generates more posts and keeps the boards more active.

I mean, we aren't in Junior High here right? ???

(Sorry if I have offended anyone, just calling a spade a spade.)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/08/09 at 11:44 am

I thought a spade was a shovel :P

I keed, I keed :D

I am still ambivalent because I no longer have the time to care :P

Written By: Midas on 01/08/09 at 11:51 am

I voted yes but in all honesty I don't really care either way.  Whether you smite me or karamel me, you're thinking about me and that's what matters :D

Written By: Dagwood on 01/08/09 at 12:08 pm

^ & ^^

I completely agree.
Before, I thought karma was an awesome idea, because it would give us the opportunity to "high five" someone for an awesome post. But that quickly changed. I quoted Chucky earlier in this thread, about how it hasn't turned out the way he intended it to, and I can see that now.

At one point, I had forgotten about the karma button, and that means I rarely gave any. I finally realized there was a "race" for karma when Erin was on hiatus, and people were pushing for others to take her spot on the top. I thought that was pretty weird. So I started watching the karma log and saw the first "karma clique" form. Funny thing is, this clique is now the one complaining about there being "cliques".

If it isn't one thing, then it's another. I, personally, feel the karma button should be taken away. It isn't being used properly, and like so many other people, I would rather someone say "great post Tam" or "you made me throw up a little bit in my mouth Tam" instead of them pushing a little button. That way it generates more posts and keeps the boards more active.

I mean, we aren't in Junior High here right? ???

(Sorry if I have offended anyone, just calling a spade a spade.)

Great post, Tam.  You make much sense to me.  Should I worry? ;)

Written By: Tam on 01/08/09 at 12:12 pm

Great post, Tam.  You make much sense to me.  Should I worry? ;)

Thanks Dagny!
If I make sense to you then at least I know I am somewhat starting to make sense to myself.
Should you worry? Nope!!!                Be afraid! BE VERY AFRAID! ;D 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/09 at 9:17 pm

If some members want a Karma race, I couldn't care less. 

I give Karma for posts I find particularly poignant or amusing.  If a comment is especially astute or a joke makes me laugh out loud, I'll award a Karam point.  It doesn't matter to me who the member is or how many points they have.  I don't see the total number of Karmas as a value judgment on a member nor do I see any need to get rid of Karma.  The argument presented here that we should dump Karma because we don't have Smite is rather insipid.

Written By: Tam on 01/08/09 at 9:34 pm

If some members want a Karma race, I couldn't care less. 

I give Karma for posts I find particularly poignant or amusing.  If a comment is especially astute or a joke makes me laugh out loud, I'll award a Karam point.  It doesn't matter to me who the member is or how many points they have.  I don't see the total number of Karmas as a value judgment on a member nor do I see any need to get rid of Karma.  The argument presented here that we should dump Karma because we don't have Smite is rather insipid.

I agree Max, however, it hasn't been said that we should dump it because we don't have a smite. (Unless I have missed a post.) :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/09 at 10:30 pm

I agree Max, however, it hasn't been said that we should dump it because we don't have a smite. (Unless I have missed a post.) :-\\

Perhaps it has been discussed on other threads, but this is the first time I have seen anyone suggest we shouldn't have Karma.  Thus, I inferred this thread spawned the idea. 

It won't cause me any distress if we get rid of Karma, I just think there's no need to.

Written By: Jessica on 01/08/09 at 10:38 pm

I think I said something like that.  However, I wouldn't give a crap if people were using it like Max said he uses his (for posts that made him laugh or touched a nerve or whatever).  The whole, "I got more karma than you, so NYAH!" is kind of weird and a bit unnerving, especially if people are taking it so seriously that their day is shattered when they don't get a point or lose the lead in this "race".

It's like me saying that I'm better than all of you because I outweigh you all by at least 200 lbs.  Not something you would normally brag about in real life, but because I have more pounds than you, I'm winning, so neener neener.

See how ridiculous that sounds when you apply the theory of more=better elsewhere?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/08/09 at 10:47 pm

it wouldn't bother me in the least if karma giving were stopped and removed. If the powers that be decide to end the karma, might I suggest a substitute. let's give A-Frame Hugs  ::)
but seriously
I've never felt it a race or a competition and am puzzled whenever anyone approaches it that way. it's nice to give and recieve but it seems that people give it away so freely now (myself included) and that it's pretty much just a daily routine to give certain people karma. I've got way more than I deserve.  it'd be cool if the karma count stopped at 100 and rolled back to zero to start all over and never got higher than 100. nobody needs more than that.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020tF1mZJlFUAS9.jzbkF/SIG=12impdes6/EXP=1231562693/**http%3A//www.threemoviebuffs.com/miscreview/starskyandhutch1.jpg do it!  do it!  do it!

Written By: Tam on 01/09/09 at 11:08 am

Perhaps it has been discussed on other threads, but this is the first time I have seen anyone suggest we shouldn't have Karma.  Thus, I inferred this thread spawned the idea. 

It won't cause me any distress if we get rid of Karma, I just think there's no need to.

Ah, understood.

I think I said something like that.  However, I wouldn't give a crap if people were using it like Max said he uses his (for posts that made him laugh or touched a nerve or whatever).  The whole, "I got more karma than you, so NYAH!" is kind of weird and a bit unnerving, especially if people are taking it so seriously that their day is shattered when they don't get a point or lose the lead in this "race".

It's like me saying that I'm better than all of you because I outweigh you all by at least 200 lbs.  Not something you would normally brag about in real life, but because I have more pounds than you, I'm winning, so neener neener.

See how ridiculous that sounds when you apply the theory of more=better elsewhere?

Exactly Jess. That's what I have personally come to view it as in the past few months.

See, I started a thread (all y'all know which one) asking for karma to get me to a certain point. Then *bang* all of a sudden people who never give me karma came flooding in to give some. I thought it was weird. So then I decided to change the names and see what happened. It is definitely a popularity thing, because some names got karma, and others didn't fare as well. AND it was kind of inconsistent with what some people where saying about the karma button to begin with. So then I finished with it and locked the thread - and now karma is not so freely offered anymore. Almost like people have to beg for it to get it from others. That's not what the button was put on profiles for.

it wouldn't bother me in the least if karma giving were stopped and removed. If the powers that be decide to end the karma, might I suggest a substitute. let's give A-Frame Hugs  ::)
but seriously
I've never felt it a race or a competition and am puzzled whenever anyone approaches it that way. it's nice to give and recieve but it seems that people give it away so freely now (myself included) and that it's pretty much just a daily routine to give certain people karma. I've got way more than I deserve.   it'd be cool if the karma count stopped at 100 and rolled back to zero to start all over and never got higher than 100. nobody needs more than that.

do it!   do it!  do it!

And that daily routine is what certain cliques are not complaining about, even though they are the ones who started it. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...