inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hormone induced meat

Written By: joeman on 01/02/09 at 9:52 pm

When did farmers start injecting hormones to animals?  Also, has their been evidence of hgh induced meat causes health problems for men?  I mean it could explain why people live longer, is bigger and taller, and tend to mature slower.

Subject: Re: Hormone induced meat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/09 at 10:14 pm

When did farmers start injecting hormones to animals?  Also, has their been evidence of hgh induced meat causes health problems for men?  I mean it could explain why people live longer, is bigger and taller, and tend to mature slower.

Or explain why girls of 9 wear D cups and get lumpectomies at the age of 31!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/downtown.gif

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/02/09 at 10:34 pm

this is one of the main reasons that I decided to go VEG.

Written By: Jessica on 01/02/09 at 11:52 pm

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/hormones_meat.htm

I usually buy crap that is labelled hormone free or organic.  I rarely buy beef (which seems to be the main meat injected with hormones), mainly because red meat isn't that great for you anyways.

Written By: NbC on 01/03/09 at 7:36 am

I have my own Hormones to deal with.....

I wouldn't want extra injected into what I eat.  Thank goodness I don't eat that stuff.  :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/03/09 at 9:53 am

Its not just beef.  They use hormones (and arsenic) in chicken too.  The arsenic concentrates in the neck.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/03/09 at 1:52 pm

Think about it;

Farmers have to produce more product on less land, in less time, with less input.................

Everyone wants to build things "out in the country" on more land - Leaving less to produce food on; meanwhile the world population is booming; and no one wants to have a "farm" as their next door neighbor (smells, chemical, manure, sounds  etc....) BUT EVERYONE IS DEMANDING MORE....

Hormones are naturally occurring and wear off just like in our own human bodies - You do not have a steak/chicken breast/ milk that is surging with steroids - Your vegetables probably have more chemicals and manure product on them than any meat substance  ::)  But hey vegetable farmers have to live too - and no one is giving them more land
:-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/09 at 3:23 pm

this is one of the main reasons that I decided to go VEG.

Grown in depleted soil and sprayed with pesticides, plant matter is no panacea either.  Even the so-called "organic" varieties are full of unpleasant surprises....but that's a different topic.

I think it's time for the legislature to ban hormone-injected meat and dairy.  It should be on par with adding sawdust to sausage, which the meat industry used to do 100 years ago, and would still do today if they could get away with it.
::)

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 4:20 pm

its the hormones that make it taste so good!

except for chicken... I got tired of my chicken being all fatty so now I prefer to eat only wings and drumsticks. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/09 at 9:17 pm

its the hormones that make it taste so good!

except for chicken... I got tired of my chicken being all fatty so now I prefer to eat only wings and drumsticks. 

That's what keeps fast food so appealing.  The vendor no longer needs to worry about actual prepping and cooking.  It's straight from the freezer to the fryer to the tray.  Without all the high tech food processing advances of the past 50 years, McDonald's, KFC, and Taco Bell would taste like crap.  It would be about as tasty as prison chow. 
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/04/09 at 11:31 am

Think about it;

Farmers have to produce more product on less land, in less time, with less input.................

Everyone wants to build things "out in the country" on more land - Leaving less to produce food on; meanwhile the world population is booming; and no one wants to have a "farm" as their next door neighbor (smells, chemical, manure, sounds  etc....) BUT EVERYONE IS DEMANDING MORE....

Hormones are naturally occurring and wear off just like in our own human bodies - You do not have a steak/chicken breast/ milk that is surging with steroids - Your vegetables probably have more chemicals and manure product on them than any meat substance  ::)  But hey vegetable farmers have to live too - and no one is giving them more land

I don't think so.  Factory farms use hormones because it's much easier.  Here in VT there is a growing "locavore" movement focusing on more natural produce from small farmers.  Better food, less crap, and supports family farming.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/04/09 at 2:38 pm

I don't think so.  Factory farms use hormones because it's much easier.  Here in VT there is a growing "locavore" movement focusing on more natural produce from small farmers.  Better food, less crap, and supports family farming.
Not easier - if you have ever tried to give a vaccine, or implant an animal - YOU would know this.  It makes the animal gain lean muscle quicker on less food demands (and with $6 corn, and the rest of the imputs - prices of meat and grain are only going up). 

Locavore is fine, if you want to be a nation that is poor (in America our major exports is Agricultural export - that is what makes our country as wealthy as what it is).  One single farmer today has to feed 136 people to meet currant world trends - and that still does not prevent starvation....  Small "locavore" and organic farms are not able to keep up with the increasing pressure - they do not provide exports for our nation.  They feed the restraunts and individuals who buy from them at premium prices....  But unfortunately this will not help our nation as a whole- 

We are loosing land everyday to urban sprawl....  WalMart keeps moving to the next piece of ground they can build on - The ground were they once were is now vacant (and no longer can it ever be farmed again)....  If the government needs to do something it is to stop Urban Sprawl - Makes stores stay were they are and make improvements there (quit giving TIF's - and instead give tax insentives for revamping what they have)... Less land means, less producing acres, and less food for us (or the animals that eat it -for us to eat), less fuel, less exports....

*  At the present growth rate of 1.1% per year, the U.S. population will double to more than half a billion people within the next 60 years. It is estimated that approximately one acre of land is lost due to urbanization and highway construction alone for every person added to the U.S. population.

* This means that only 0.6 acres of farmland would be available to grow food for each American in 2050, as opposed to the 1.8 acres per capita available today. At least 1.2 acres per person is required in order to maintain current American dietary standards. Food prices are projected to increase 3 to 5-fold within this period.

* If present population growth, domestic food consumption and topsoil loss trends continue, the U.S. will most likely cease to be a food exporter by approximately 2025 because food grown in the U.S. will be needed for domestic purposes.

* Since food exports earn $40 billion for the U.S. annually, the loss of this income source would result in an even greater increase in America's trade deficit.

* Considering that America is the world's largest food exporter, the future survival of millions of people around the world may also come into question if food exports from the U.S. were to cease.

I live in Iowa were I see the farmland leaving us every day, the small town around us has used up over 500 acres of farmland in urban sprawl in just 5 years - yes it is quite amazing for just a town of 10,000......  We have a new walmart, menards, shopping center, farm and fleet, subdivision after subdivision......  Now look around where you live, are there any realestate signs in what is farmland going for industry????  Has WalMart made a new store, is there a shopping center were there never was, are people moving out to the country (and I am only using that store because it is the most noticeable here - there are plenty of other stores that are doing the same)???  Just some things to think of.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/04/09 at 8:56 pm

When did farmers start injecting hormones to animals? 

Ever since man started herding sheep thousands of years ago.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/04/09 at 9:10 pm

Think about it;

My parents have 40 acres (my Dad is a retired and getting back to his roots).  He's been offered over 2 million for his land from developers.  He won't sell thank God.  The Amish that own the farm adjacent are having trouble because PA agriculture code is cracking down on what you can and can't do with cows.  So, yes I understand your point of view a bit.  Everyone is yelling at the farmers but the farmers can only do so much.  It looks like a no win situation for small farmers at times.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/04/09 at 9:37 pm

My parents have 40 acres (my Dad is a retired and getting back to his roots).  He's been offered over 2 million for his land from developers.  He won't sell thank God.  The Amish that own the farm adjacent are having trouble because PA agriculture code is cracking down on what you can and can't do with cows.  So, yes I understand your point of view a bit.  Everyone is yelling at the farmers but the farmers can only do so much.  It looks like a no win situation for small farmers at times.
Thank you for understanding - yes my family is a small family farm as well....  AND now the federal government has made it impossible for us to dispose of our sick or dead calves or cows - they can not be picked up by the rendering truck to go for dog food, adhesives, leather, etc....  anymore - We are to dispose of them (unfortunately we just had a case of blackleg get into our farm and wipe out 20 calves - we have a pile of dead (and a few more sick) we can not do anything with - THE WONDERFUL GOVERNMENT RESTRAINT THAT IT IS...

People here are leaving horses at the sale barns and loading up peoples trailors with 20 (when they only bought 1)...  In the US we can not sell horses for slaughter anymore (again to be made into adhesives, bone meal, blood meal, leather, and numerous other products); but people in todays economy are not able to feed the horses as well - they are leaving them anywhere and everywhere!!!  Down in Missouri there was a horse ride (over 75 horses were just left there) again THE Knowledge of the wonderful government - if you thought hitting a dog or a deer is bad - try a horse ....

Sorry thanks for understanding - we have hit a bad spell and I am a bit fustrated

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/09 at 12:38 am

Ever since man started herding sheep thousands of years ago.  ;D

Dude, why does there always have to be a sheep-humping joke on threads with an agricultural theme? 

We're discussing methods of animal husbandry here! 

I know, I know, so are you, ha ha ha....
:P

Written By: Jessica on 01/05/09 at 12:55 am

Dude, why does there always have to be a sheep-humping joke on threads with an agricultural theme? 

We're discussing methods of animal husbandry here! 

I know, I know, so are you, ha ha ha....
:P

Awwww Max, don't be such a BAAAd sport about it. :D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sheep.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/05/09 at 1:07 pm

I was once at a cocktail party in Chile, speaking with a Scottish professor. We were interupted by another grad student who asked him what field he was in.  His reply "I no work in a field man, I no a farmer".  Me neither.  I have read a bit and heard lots of reports about gov. farm policy, which seems to favor agribusiness over family farms.  The latest I heard was a proposal to do away with the Sec. of Agriculture and appoint a Food Secretary.  Someone who would encourage food production instead of high fructose corn syrup.

There is a good deal of evidence, by the way, that U.S. food exports actually inhibit food production especially in 3rd world countries.  they may be good for us, but are not so good for the importing nations. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/05/09 at 2:25 pm

Awwww Max, don't be such a BAAAd sport about it. :D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/sheep.gif

HEY!!!  >:( >:( >:(

No funny in the TTT.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

Written By: Jessica on 01/05/09 at 2:29 pm

HEY!!!  >:( >:( >:(

No funny in the TTT.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nono.gif

It's still on topic, so suck it. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...