inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nutritionists - male or female?

Written By: Tam on 01/09/09 at 6:02 pm

While eating dinner tonight, The Son and I were having a conversation about how I woke up in the night, starving because I have been working out more but I haven't changed my diet yet. So as I sat there, eating my salad and mexican mac 'n cheese - I stopped for a second to gauge if I was:

a) still hungry
b) content or
c) stuffed.

I decided I could eat another bite because I wasn't quite content. Then I told him that nutritionists tell you to eat until you are content, not to over stuff yourself etc. Well, The Son, in response, said "Women!"

So I asked him to explain what he meant, and he basically said that when he thinks of a nutritionist, he sees a woman. Not a man, but just women, and that because when he sees ads on the internet for diet and exercise, or someone talking about dieting - it is always women.

Which prompted me to ask him to debate with me a little bit about why he thinks they are all women, other than the internet ads, to which he couldn't really back up his statement. I proceeded to tell him that most of the founders of so-called diets (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers etc..) were men, and that 8 times out of 10 you will find that a nutritionist is male. He doesn't believe me. (My claim is from my experience, not from fact.) And I also told him that most of the ads on the internet are targeting women, because we are so consumed by body image that we might actually believe some of those ads. In fact, my nutritionists have always been male, and I prefer it that way because then they aren't so much worried about body image as they are more worried about a health image.

So, my question then is this: Is The Son not alone in the male world in thinking that nutritionists are all female? And why is it that when we diet, some men think that we are listening to what other women are saying we should do or eat?

Help!

Subject: Re: Nutritionists - male or female?

Written By: Midas on 01/09/09 at 8:14 pm

I think nutritionists are nutritionists.  I don't know any personally.

Somewhat tangibly speaking, when I used to go to the gym back in the day I've had both male and female trainers, and they both gave advice on what to eat.

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 8:30 pm

I've got 5 words for the son....

Dr Ian Smith Celeb Fit Club

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 8:31 pm

actually most diet books are written by men (go figure) and they would call themselves nutritionalists.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/09/09 at 9:49 pm

I've got 5 words for the son....

Dr Ian Smith Celeb Fit Club

Ummmmmmm......that's 6 words.

;)

Written By: haleym8826 on 01/09/09 at 9:52 pm

While eating dinner tonight, The Son and I were having a conversation about how I woke up in the night, starving because I have been working out more but I haven't changed my diet yet. So as I sat there, eating my salad and mexican mac 'n cheese - I stopped for a second to gauge if I was:

a) still hungry
b) content or
c) stuffed.

I decided I could eat another bite because I wasn't quite content. Then I told him that nutritionists tell you to eat until you are content, not to over stuff yourself etc. Well, The Son, in response, said "Women!"

So I asked him to explain what he meant, and he basically said that when he thinks of a nutritionist, he sees a woman. Not a man, but just women, and that because when he sees ads on the internet for diet and exercise, or someone talking about dieting - it is always women.

Which prompted me to ask him to debate with me a little bit about why he thinks they are all women, other than the internet ads, to which he couldn't really back up his statement. I proceeded to tell him that most of the founders of so-called diets (Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers etc..) were men, and that 8 times out of 10 you will find that a nutritionist is male. He doesn't believe me. (My claim is from my experience, not from fact.) And I also told him that most of the ads on the internet are targeting women, because we are so consumed by body image that we might actually believe some of those ads. In fact, my nutritionists have always been male, and I prefer it that way because then they aren't so much worried about body image as they are more worried about a health image.

So, my question then is this: Is The Son not alone in the male world in thinking that nutritionists are all female? And why is it that when we diet, some men think that we are listening to what other women are saying we should do or eat?

Help!

I did not say that i did not believer her about nutritionists being dominantly male, i told her that regardless of the facts I would still always picture a woman in my head when hearing the word nutritionist. They put women in the commercial which causes me to visualize a women even if they are only doing it to show that women are the target. Ring a bell and give a dog some food then everytime you ring that bell the dog will expect food regardless of whether you are giving him food or not. Show me a nutritional commercial with a women in it and any time i hear a word with nutri- as its root i am going to picture a women.

Written By: Tam on 01/09/09 at 9:55 pm

I did not say that i did not believer her about nutritionists being dominantly male, i told her that regardless of the facts I would still always picture a woman in my head when hearing the word nutritionist. They put women in the commercial which causes me to visualize a women even if they are only doing it to show that women are the target. Ring a bell and give a dog some food then everytime you ring that bell the dog will expect food regardless of whether you are giving him food or not. Show me a nutritional commercial with a women in it and any time i hear a word with nutri- as its root i am going to picture a women.

And I told him that was sexist.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/09/09 at 10:30 pm

Help!

In my experience, an overwhelming percentage of health food store, diet shop, organically grown food stores and somewhat diet-related type outlets are staffed by women. Anyone can call themself a 'nutritionist': dieticians are the ones with licenses. Maybe that's where he got the idea? (that and internet ads). Funny though, because nearly all TV ads I can remember for healthy cooking and ways of preparing meals are promoted by men (think informercials).

As for the second question, I agree with him. There are SOOOOO many diets out there (many of them utterly ridiculous), so yes, I get the feeling that women listen to each other through word of mouth on these.

Diane "Jeanne, you look fabulous ! Did you lose weight? And that is a great looking tan!"
Jeanne: "I sure did, Diane - 18 lbs in one week!"
Diane: "Wow, that's excellent! How did you do it?"
Jeanne: "My husband Dan handcuffed me to the radiator for 6 days"

Dan: Hi, I'm Dan, Jeanne's husband. Try my new weightloss and tan program "Pounds and Browns" - it comes with one pair of handcuffs for her, and seven pairs of earplugs for you. Only $19.95, but if you order now you'll also receive....

Seriously though, women may not be getting dieting tips from other women, but I believe the end result (a better looking figure) is due to other womens' views more than mens'.

I admittedly would make a crappy nutritionist, because I think that a person can eat darned near anything as long the excersize is there. I know I'm not the only man who thinks this way, so perhaps women are more prevalent in nutritional fields - different mentality and take on the matter.

And I told him that was sexist.

True, but some stereotypes seem to fit - how many men are hairstylists or interior decorators? Okay, how many straight men are hairstylists or interior decorators?

Maybe his idea also comes from commercials - the majority of healthy food commercials (yogurts, cereal, breakfast bars, etc).  feature females.

I think it would be fair to say that women are more concerned about nutrition than men.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 11:11 pm

Ummmmmmm......that's 6 words.

;)

sorry I was distracted by the memory of how cute he is... I just want to piinch his cheeks...and fry him up and eat him in some bbq sauce... the man needs to let people have their BBQ chicken!!!!

;D

Written By: haleym8826 on 01/09/09 at 11:18 pm

sorry I was distracted by the memory of how cute he is... I just want to piinch his cheeks...and fry him up and eat him in some bbq sauce... the man needs to let people have their BBQ chicken!!!!

;D

???..... ???...... ;D ;D ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/09/09 at 11:21 pm

???..... ???...... ;D ;D ;D

Everything is edible...even people are edible, but that's called cannibalism- its frowned upon in most societies.  ;)

^ the only good line in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/10/09 at 2:17 pm

Seriously though, women may not be getting dieting tips from other women, but I believe the end result (a better looking figure) is due to other womens' views more than mens'.

signature banned as well
ยด

That can even be true but women are a lot less judgemental of a men's physique than the other way around.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/09 at 2:50 pm

In my experience, an overwhelming percentage of health food store, diet shop, organically grown food stores and somewhat diet-related type outlets are staffed by women. Anyone can call themself a 'nutritionist': dieticians are the ones with licenses. Maybe that's where he got the idea? (that and internet ads). Funny though, because nearly all TV ads I can remember for healthy cooking and ways of preparing meals are promoted by men (think informercials).

As for the second question, I agree with him. There are SOOOOO many diets out there (many of them utterly ridiculous), so yes, I get the feeling that women listen to each other through word of mouth on these.

Diane "Jeanne, you look fabulous ! Did you lose weight? And that is a great looking tan!"
Jeanne: "I sure did, Diane - 18 lbs in one week!"
Diane: "Wow, that's excellent! How did you do it?"
Jeanne: "My husband Dan handcuffed me to the radiator for 6 days"

Dan: Hi, I'm Dan, Jeanne's husband. Try my new weightloss and tan program "Pounds and Browns" - it comes with one pair of handcuffs for her, and seven pairs of earplugs for you. Only $19.95, but if you order now you'll also receive....

I admittedly would make a crappy nutritionist, because I think that a person can eat darned near anything as long the excersize is there. I know I'm not the only man who thinks this way, so perhaps women are more prevalent in nutritional fields - different mentality and take on the matter.

True, but some stereotypes seem to fit - how many men are hairstylists or interior decorators? Okay, how many straight men are hairstylists or interior decorators?

Maybe his idea also comes from commercials - the majority of healthy food commercials (yogurts, cereal, breakfast bars, etc).  feature females.

I think it would be fair to say that women are more concerned about nutrition than men.

signature banned as well

Ok, so I have a warped sense of humor but this cracked me up.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/09 at 3:23 pm

Ok, so I have a warped sense of humor but this cracked me up.

Cat

I'm thinking it sounds like a pretty decent diet  ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 6:26 am

The most famous nutritionist that I know is Jack Lalanne

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/09 at 12:55 pm

The most famous nutritionist that I know is Jack Lalanne

I  never thought of him as a nutrionalist ...just an exercise nazi

what about Richard Simmons?

and what's his name Atkins...is it Charles Atkins? from the Atkins Diet.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/11/09 at 3:51 pm

I  never thought of him as a nutrionalist ...just an exercise nazi

The Jack Lalanne Power Juicer tells that story

http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/jacklalannesjuicer/jacklalennes.jpg

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/09 at 12:02 am

Good question, I never thought about it before.

I can't really give a valid response since I'm so not a typical guy in almost any sense ;D, but I think it's true that a higher percentage of healthy eaters are women. Depends on the person, though. I worked out at a gym in high school in '98/99, then a couple years later I became a vegetarian along with doing lots of running. I'm probably more lax on what I eat now, but I still try not to have too much junk and to balance it out with veggies and healthier food. I haven't worked out in awhile though.

When it comes to eating, I try to stop just at the point where I'm getting full. I think when you push yourself that's when you don't feel so good afterwards (although it's hard sometimes, like if you feel guilty about wasting food). ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...