inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Meaning of Life

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/09 at 9:26 am

So last week I found out that an old college buddy of mine from the 1970's passed away about a year ago.  He was a great guy, a real prince, but I cannot say we were close friends.  Was sad to hear of his passing and I sent a nice note to his widow which was well received.  The world needs more good guys like Ben.   :)

Anyway, another college buddy (to whom I was close, and who was a childhood friend of the deceased) commented "this really hits me hard.  We stayed in contact every Christmas." I know from personal experience that this "close contact" consisted of a christmas card with my (still living) buddy's first name on it and nothing else.  That's it.

Same thing I got for years.  I stopped carding this guy (the live one) a long time ago because he never had time for anybody, but he was always on-the-ready to hand out his friend-mailing-list to anybody who wanted to sell stuff, usually his mother or kids who were selling kitsch.  Once I saw that I was valued solely as a profit center (after any number of genuine keep-in-real-contact efforts), I said "screw it". (Side note I can say that I am very generous to my freinds and their causes, so do not misinterpret me as some sort of miser...)

My living buddy tells me "I am really wondering about life now.  I just wasted the past 30 years working my ass off and raising my family.  I better slow down before it is too late." I know what his job entailed and it definitely is not an ass-workoff type.  Nine-to-five.  And he made darned good money too, almost as much as me.

I was aghast.  Seems to me that he does not see the past 30 years as "life" and that work and raising family were simply chores.  Appears that to him, work and family are not life.  Geeze Louise.   ::)

My view... life is what we do, THAT IS OUR JOB.  Most of my best relationships happened with coworkers, who I do not really think of as "coworkers" but rather as cast members and conspirators in each others' lives.  And family... gee I wish I had a wife and kids with whom I could have "wasted my life" for the past 30 years.  But I have no regrets and I have no plans to "slow down", my life has been actively in play for 50 years and I'll have plenty of time to slow down when I hit the end of the road.

Any reflections here?

Subject: Re: The Meaning of Life

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/09 at 12:11 pm

Well, asking about what the meaning of Life is, my answer usually is" Do you mean the magazine or the cereal?

Ok, that joke aside, this is a very heavy subject and Tam, you may want to move this to the TTT.

It would be nice to look back on one's life and say that they have no regrets-I don't think ANYONE can say that. The key is to have as FEW regrets as possible and to learn from your mistakes. To me, Life is trying to find what makes us happy. For some people, it is their job. For me, it is love-the love I have for Carlos & the way he loves me back.

There is something else-not one of us is an island. We are all part of something grand-humanity. And I believe that we all need to give something back to humanity-whether it be just giving someone you don't know a smile, holding the door for someone who has their hands full, or just saying "Thank you" to someone who has extended their hand to you in one way or another.

BTW, I am sorry about your buddy.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/09 at 1:04 pm

The key is to have as FEW regrets as possible and to learn from your mistakes. To me, Life is trying to find what makes us happy.

There is something else-not one of us is an island. We are all part of something grand-humanity. And I believe that we all need to give something back to humanity-whether it be just giving someone you don't know a smile, holding the door for someone who has their hands full, or just saying "Thank you" to someone who has extended their hand to you in one way or another.

Cat

Beautiful

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/09 at 1:51 pm

BTW, I am sorry about your buddy.

Cat

Thanx Cat.  I see my old buddy (who passed away) as one of those things that you enjoy while you can, one of life's "treats".  We had not seen each other for years, but knowing him as a friend "back in the day" is a great memory.  It is why I felt so strongly to write to his widow (who I never had met) and basically celebrated his life.  It turns out, believe it or not, that he has a son who lives about 100 yards from my house, going to the same college that he and I had conquered all those years ago.  I hope sometime in the near future to say hello to his son (who is about 1500 miles away from home) and to let him know that he is following in the footsteps of a great guy.  (I know that he already knows that, but it always helps to hear it again and again...)

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/12/09 at 10:39 am

I was aghast.  Seems to me that he does not see the past 30 years as "life" and that work and raising family were simply chores.  Appears that to him, work and family are not life.  Geeze Louise.   ::)

Maybe he wants more, maybe he wants something different. Raising a family, having a job is what's expected from all of us, it can be wonderful to have that or it can be unfulfilling.

I think what your friend means is that a big part of his life he's been doing what others ask of him and now that he feels closer to the end of his life he wants to have some experiences that will make him happy.

The meaning of life is having something to smile about every single day and knowing that you're living the best life you can live.

Written By: wildcard on 01/12/09 at 12:00 pm

The meaning of life is having something to smile about every single day and knowing that you're living the best life you can live.

8) I'll just quote a bunch of people here.  I came here to make people laugh and thats what makes me happy.

Written By: Kryllith on 01/12/09 at 3:55 pm

"Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations." --quoth MP

Written By: midnite on 01/12/09 at 7:41 pm

The meaning of life means different things for different people. 
I do not believe that the meaning of life is specifically "to be good" or "to do good things."
Perhaps there is no specific meaning for life other than to "take care of the earth."

Written By: joeman on 01/14/09 at 9:39 am

The meaning of life means different things for different people. 
I do not believe that the meaning of life is specifically "to be good" or "to do good things."
Perhaps there is no specific meaning for life other than to "take care of the earth."

It could be conquering adversity and rise above obstacles, at least that is for me.

I think it really depends on what faith you believe in the most.  I have talked to atheist and they told me that there is no purpose in life.

Written By: wildcard on 01/14/09 at 11:16 am

What you make of it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/14/09 at 2:08 pm

"Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations." --quoth MP

Thankfully you didn't quote the rest. :D  I've watched that movie at least 14 times and I still haven't figured out the meaning of life. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...