inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How many hours of sleep do you really need?

Written By: joeman on 01/14/09 at 9:37 am

The standard hours of sleep you often hear is 8 hours of sleep.  However, if I recall correctly, the soldiers in the military sleeps in max 5 hours.  I am curious  because I have been getting 5 hours of sleep a day, and I feel fine, but woried that it might be unhealthy for me doing so.

What is your recommended hours of sleep? How many hours of sleep do you get?

Subject: Re: How many hours of sleep do you really need?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/09 at 9:43 am

I usually get 6 to 7 but would love 8. 

Written By: nally on 01/14/09 at 11:02 am

I can usually get by with 6 or 7 hours. There are times, however, when I feel I need 8 or more, depending on how tired I am.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/09 at 11:04 am

It really depends on your age, body chemistry, and health.  

Generally, five hours seems to be about the minimum for most adults.  

If you're sleeping five hours and feeling good, then you're fine.  

If I get too little sleep I tend to become cranky, irritable, and inattentive by late afternoon.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/09 at 11:10 am

9 or 10. Hey, what can I say. I'm a cat, and a cat needs a lot of sleep.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Red Ant on 01/14/09 at 11:57 am

6-7, though last night I took 10.

signature banned as well

Written By: Bobo on 01/15/09 at 1:18 pm

Two hours or less at night, Four hours or more during the day. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/15/09 at 11:16 pm

I usually get about 5 hours of sleep

Written By: NbC on 01/15/09 at 11:20 pm

I can fully function with 4 - 5 hours of sleep.  I usually get around 6 or 7 but if I can I will sleep longer.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/09 at 5:54 am

I am usually good for about 5, but I have to nap to make up for it.  People make a big mistake if they have 5 and don't catch a nap.

Written By: Tam on 01/16/09 at 6:30 am

For me, I need to get at least 7 hours sleep, or else I am in no condition to be around. However, I cannot sleep more than 8 because I end up with the same attitude as if I under sleep. Now, the problem I find with sleep is when I get to bed. I have had sleep problems in the past, and I am currently trying to change that.

I find that I am a night hawk, so going to bed any time after 2 or 3 in the morning is a habit that I have. However, I wouldn't get up until 11 or 12, which sets the whole sleep clock off. Night before last I didn't go to bed until after 5 in the morning, but I was up by 10:30. So last night I took advil pm (which is non-addictive) and went to bed at 8pm. I woke at 1:30am because the dog was hogging the bed, but I was able to go back to sleep. I finally woke, bright eyed and bushy tailed, at 6:20 this morning, and I feel great.

Now, I just have to make sure that I try to stay on a pattern of going to bed around 9 or 10 and getting up by no later than 6 or 7. It is going to be hard though because that means changing almost everything that I am used to doing throughout the day. Nasty doesn't like that I don't go to bed at or around the same time, so hopefully if I get this straightened out while he is gone, he will be happy when he gets home.

That's the other thing though. While he is away, it is hard for me to go to bed when I know there isn't someone laying there beside me. I know to some that might sound like an excuse, but in my case it is completely true. Twice I have had to go for a year and over a year of sleeping by myself. It sucks royally! But I am going to strive to make it to bed at decent times! 8)

Written By: joeman on 01/17/09 at 11:59 am

Do you guys think having a scheduled time to go to sleep is as important as how many hours of sleep one needs?  For myself, I usually end up sleeping around 10 or 11 o'clock and waking up at 3 on average to work.

Written By: Davester on 01/18/09 at 4:39 pm

4-5 hours a night Mon-Fri. On the weekends I catch-up and will sleep 9 to 12 hours Sat and Sun...

And I'm cranky and irritable no matter how much sleep I get... 

Written By: ADH13 on 01/18/09 at 5:32 pm

I like to sleep 8 hours... but I usually have a hard time falling asleep right away so I get more like 5-6.  But getting up in the morning after 5-6 hours sleep is torture, even though I feel ok once I'm up and moving.

If I sleep 8 hours, I usually wake up on my own before the alarm goes off and it's alot easier to get up.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 5:07 pm

4-5 hours a night Mon-Fri. On the weekends I catch-up and will sleep 9 to 12 hours Sat and Sun...

I'm exactly the same.  Maybe 5 or 6 hours during the week though.  It's supposed to be horribly unhealthy to do this, but I don't care. 

Written By: Davester on 01/23/09 at 5:27 pm

I'm exactly the same.  Maybe 5 or 6 hours during the week though.  It's supposed to be horribly unhealthy to do this, but I don't care.   

It sure feels good, dosen't it?  That twelve hour catch-up...

I'm so utterly rested and relaxed that when I do get out of bed I start walking into walls and tripping over stuff... ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 5:31 pm

It sure feels good, dosen't it?  That twelve hour catch-up...

I'm so utterly rested and relaxed that when I do get out of bed I start walking into walls and tripping over stuff... ;D

;D  Totally. 

My husband won't let my dog sleep in our bed, but after he gets up on the weekends, my dog gets in bed with me, and as weird as it sounds it's pretty much my favorite time of the week.  I usually sleep until at least 11, and it's just heaven.  And yeah, I'm totally goofy when I finally haul my ass out.

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/09 at 5:34 pm

;D  Totally. 

My husband won't let my dog sleep in our bed, but after he gets up on the weekends, my dog gets in bed with me, and as weird as it sounds it's pretty much my favorite time of the week.  I usually sleep until at least 11, and it's just heaven.  And yeah, I'm totally goofy when I finally haul my ass out.

Oh, you have one of those men.  Rice won't let Tequila sleep with us, either, but he somehow manages to sneak into the bed at odd hours of the day and on weekends. ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 5:37 pm

Oh, you have one of those men.  Rice won't let Tequila sleep with us, either, but he somehow manages to sneak into the bed at odd hours of the day and on weekends. ;D

In my husband's defense, the dog totally hogs the bed.  He will push me all the way over to my husband's side and lay on my pillow.   ;D  He also demands covers.  If the covers come off of him, he will tap me on the shoulder until I re-cover him.  But I would let him sleep with us anyway if I could. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/09 at 5:43 pm

The dog's a tool :P  He barks and growls and stuff.  He needs to chill out and GTFO of my bed :P

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/09 at 5:50 pm

In my husband's defense, the dog totally hogs the bed.  He will push me all the way over to my husband's side and lay on my pillow.   ;D  He also demands covers.  If the covers come off of him, he will tap me on the shoulder until I re-cover him.  But I would let him sleep with us anyway if I could. 

Hahahahahahaa.  So does Tequila.  He also demands covers.  He sleeps with Jason now because we bought Jason a bigger bed, so not as much bitching to sleep in our bed.  However, he does bark and growl and snap if you disturb him.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/09 at 5:55 pm

Hahahahahahaa.  So does Tequila.  He also demands covers.  He sleeps with Jason now because we bought Jason a bigger bed, so not as much bitching to sleep in our bed.  However, he does bark and growl and snap if you disturb him.

Tool dog.  He's going to HATE crate training this weekend :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 5:59 pm

Tool dog.  He's going to HATE crate training this weekend :D

Crate training?

:(

>:(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/23/09 at 6:01 pm

Crate training?

:(

>:(

Actually, this time I'm not being mean.

The dog is a short-hair chihuahua/minpin mix and he's not used to the cold.  His paws are really sensitive and given the recent rash of uber-lame cold in Chicago, we were afraid he would get frostbite or something so we bought him a litter box so he can "go" inside where it's warm.  He's stubborn though, so we're fencing him into an area and not really giving him much of a choice.

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/25/09 at 12:14 am

The standard hours of sleep you often hear is 8 hours of sleep.  However, if I recall correctly, the soldiers in the military sleeps in max 5 hours.  I am curious  because I have been getting 5 hours of sleep a day, and I feel fine, but woried that it might be unhealthy for me doing so.

That makes sense. I think 5 is survivable enough, but 7-8 is more healthy (that's usually what I do, although my sleeping schedule varies sometimes). I've heard if you get too much, that's not good either. Ironically it can make you MORE tired.

I also don't nap usually, whereas some people do. That might cut down on the sleep you need, at least a teeny bit.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/28/09 at 7:37 pm

I wish I can get 7-8 hours of sleep but usually end up having 4-5 hours, sometimes even less.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/28/09 at 9:35 pm

I usually aim for 6 or 7 all though some times I end up awake all night.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/09 at 1:41 am

My brother confined their tiny dog and their fat cat to "pet's corner."  The little dog isn't a problem at night but their cat motorboats around the apartment at night.  That is, he'll jump on your chest when you're sleeping and purr real loud in your face!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/cat3.gif

Written By: midnite on 01/31/09 at 3:10 pm

I usually get 5 - 6 hours of sleep per night, hence my screen-name.  :D

Written By: mooster on 02/02/09 at 7:16 pm

I get between 5 - 7 but I need 12  ;)

Written By: Frank on 02/11/09 at 11:43 pm

I usually get about 5 or 6, but I can make it thru a day with only 1 or 2, every once in a while. It's harder as I get older tho.

Once a month tho, to catch up on all of this, I will sleep for about 13 of 14 hours in a row (on a weekend night)

Check for new replies or respond here...