inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pets' Corner

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/09 at 12:59 pm

Here is a place to discuss issues dealing with pets-whether it be feeding, vet visits, behavioral issues, etc. etc.

I will start with a question that I wonder about. Years ago, I used to feed my cats 3 times a day-this was pretty much maintaining their food consumption. At Carlos' suggestion, I started leaving the food down continuously and letting them feed whenever they want to. Now, I have two FAT cats. So my question is, do you feed your cats/dogs at certain intervals or do you keep the food assessable? 

Cat

Subject: Re: Pets' Corner

Written By: Jessica on 01/16/09 at 1:08 pm

We leave ours out for the mutt.  He usually eats when he comes in after a walk (which is about three times a day).  Same for all our other dogs and our one lone cat.  The only dog that really gained weight from this was my grandfather's dog, but I think that was just because she was depressed when my grandfather died, so eating became a hobby for her.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/16/09 at 1:16 pm

Here is a place to discuss issues dealing with pets-whether it be feeding, vet visits, behavioral issues, etc. etc.

I will start with a question that I wonder about. Years ago, I used to feed my cats 3 times a day-this was pretty much maintaining their food consumption. At Carlos' suggestion, I started leaving the food down continuously and letting them feed whenever they want to. Now, I have two FAT cats. So my question is, do you feed your cats/dogs at certain intervals or do you keep the food assessable? 

Cat
All my cats and dogs have food assessable at all times - all on self feeders. This seems to maintain their weight, I do not have obese animals (but they also do not get snacks and such).  All animals were trained this way from youth.  If you trained an animal with restrictions (limiting food to certain times a day) they learn to gorge themselves at the bowl (and not snack throughout the day).  If you change this habit, it then becomes an overeating issue (make sense???)

Cats and dogs can also suffer depression and other anxieties, their metabolism slows with age, which can lead to obesity.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/16/09 at 1:46 pm

I keep their bowl full and available at all times. I feel that they can eat whenever they are hungry...I've heard that is the best thing to do for cats.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/09 at 2:23 pm

All my cats and dogs have food assessable at all times - all on self feeders. This seems to maintain their weight, I do not have obese animals (but they also do not get snacks and such).  All animals were trained this way from youth.  If you trained an animal with restrictions (limiting food to certain times a day) they learn to gorge themselves at the bowl (and not snack throughout the day).  If you change this habit, it then becomes an overeating issue (make sense???)

Cats and dogs can also suffer depression and other anxieties, their metabolism slows with age, which can lead to obesity.

I think my cats have "issues" because they were once out on the streets. Elvira doesn't seem to have too much of a problem (and she is VERY active, too) but Electra eats ALL the time. She will only take a bite or two and walk away-but will go back again in a short time for another bite or two. And yes, she is FAT.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/16/09 at 3:15 pm

I think my cats have "issues" because they were once out on the streets. Elvira doesn't seem to have too much of a problem (and she is VERY active, too) but Electra eats ALL the time. She will only take a bite or two and walk away-but will go back again in a short time for another bite or two. And yes, she is FAT.

Cat
Very likely she does have food "issues" then.  She was deprived and now has it all, so her mind is going to work on the idea of deprivity (just incase the food is not there again when I come back, I better eat some now.  Well I better go check to see if the food is there, oh yes it is I better eat some just in case- over and over)....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/09 at 3:28 pm

Very likely she does have food "issues" then.  She was deprived and now has it all, so her mind is going to work on the idea of deprivity (just incase the food is not there again when I come back, I better eat some now.  Well I better go check to see if the food is there, oh yes it is I better eat some just in case- over and over)....

Yup. And then there is the times when she gets pissed off at us. She will come up on the bed (our bedroom is right off of the kitchen). She will be purring and we will pet and scratch her. We scratch, she purrs, we scratch, she purrs, we scratch, she bites!  :o :o :o  WTF? Then she will run off-go to the food dish, take two bites and then comes back as if nothing has happened and the process starts all over again. What can I say, the cat is MENTAL!!!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/09 at 11:22 pm

Years ago my sister had two cats she fed whenever they were hungry, and lo and behold, they were always hungry!  The problem was the owner.  Knowing the way my sister was 15 years ago, she probably felt like she was hurting the cats if she didn't feed them whenever they begged.  These two cats were not just overweight, they were morbidly obese.  They looked like potatoes propped up on tooth picks!  Then Wendy died some acute problem, maybe heart failure.  She literally dropped dead!  I heard from our mom that my sister saw it happen.  She thought maybe Wendy couldn't get up because she was so fat.  She put Wendy back on her feet but the cat, dead already, just fell over on the other side!  I found some black humor in that anectdote, but I can understand how some cat people wouldn't find it funny at all.  The other one, Marla, survived as fat as ever.  I don't know how long Marla lived because they gave her away when my niece was having some asthma as a baby.  Those were the fattest cats I've ever seen.  Of course, I can't say for sure it was the Obesity that killed Wendy; it might have been purely genetic.  My sister had cats again, and they're both of healthy habitus.

I don't have cats myself, but I see quite a bit of my landlady's cats.  Mimi is a bit overweight, but she's more sedentary than Maya, who is of more slender build and spends a lot more time outdoors.  I look after them when my landlady goes out of town.  She prescribes specific times for feeding and portions of wet and dry food.  The cats seem to eat only when they're hungry.  They rarely empty the bowls and don't seem to crave more than the allotted amounts.  Perhaps it is important to regularize feedings when they're kittens and stay consistent. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/catmilk.gif

Subject: Hell Dog!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/16/09 at 11:25 pm

This started as an appendage to my post about fat cats, but it took on a life of its own.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/firedevil.gif

The only dog we had with a weight problem was a bloodhound named Beau.  He was a nightmare dog! Ever see the movie "Turner and Hooch"?  That's pretty much it.  Hooch was a kind of French Mastiff; they're a little bigger than bloodhounds (also French), but Beau was a big and fat bloodhound weighing upwards of 140 lbs.  He was also effed-up.  My stepmother made the mistake of buying a petstore puppy, which is a gamble.  You might get a puppy mill dog separated from the mother too young and shipped in a giant egg crate!

My father grew to despise Beau.  It was always a contest of wills between dad and Beau.  Beau always won. To wit:
Dad would put Beau on a diet.  Beau would raid the garbage and swipe stuff off the counters.  One Christmas weekend Beau stole: An apple pie, a chocolate cream pie, a loaf of pumpkin bread, a box of chocolates, a plate of turkey cuts, and some clementines.  You might say, "Dogs don't eat tangerines!"  This one did and then crapped them all over the kitchen floor!

Dad had a beanbag chair.  Beau took it over.  Dad got sick of Beau hogging the beanbag chair so he pushed Beau off one evening.  Dad got up for a soda, Beau resumed his perch.  Dad pushed Beau off again.  Beau growled.  Dad told him, "Tough sh*t!"  Dad got up again.  Repeat scenario.  Finally dad pushed Beau off the beanbag chair one too many times.  Beau got this "Oh yeah, top this" expression and proceeded to pee all over the beanbag chair!  My brother and I cut out of there and laughed our asses off for about ten minutes!  Beau wins again!

Furthermore, Beau was subject to excessive salivation, intractictable flea infestations, paroxysms of vomiting and diarrhea, knocking over furniture, chewing through electrical chords, devouring inedibles, busting leashes, busting dog-runs, couch-napping, frightening neighborhood children, frightening neighborhood parents, crashing neighbors' barbecues, general smelliness, and general antisocial and disloyal behaviors.

The Wikipedia page on bloodhounds mentions a "what's-in-it-for-me attitude," which Beau had in the extreme.  The silver lining here was he lost interest in the cat and the other dog as soon as he realized neither had anything he wanted.   The other dog was a German Shepherd.  You'd call her and she would snap to it with a "Yes sir!" disposition.  Beau would take off down the field, you'd call  hime, "Beau, get back here!"  He'd just look up at over at you like, "What the hell for?  I'll make you a deal, I won't run any farther!"

Beau was also a racist.  He had it out for Reverend Bailey,  black minister, in the neighborhood.  It was humiliating because Bailey was the nicest guy in the world and Beau would have him treed on top of his own car with Bailey yelling (in a Georgia accent) "Call off your dog!  Call off your dog!"  Beau didn't do that treeing thing to anybody else, just Rev. Bailey. 

For some reason, Beau never learned to climb the staircase.  And that was just fine with us.

Beau finally beat himself at his own game.  He got so fat he couldn't jump high enough to get his paws on the counters.  One time I saw him bouncing up and down in front of the big garbage can outside.  He was trying to knock it over by gathering enough momentum! 

The vet warned us about the consequences of doggie obesity.  Perhaps more competent dog owners could have done something.  Dad and stepmom were no dog whisperers, though.  Beau became rheumatoid and miserable.  The last winter of his life, the cold gave him withering cramps, the last summer the fleas tormented him to madness.  One fall evening panic struck Beau.  He was confused and howling in torment.  He puked on the carpet and then he crapped on the floor, neither of which was unusual, but I sensed his doom and so did he.  Once outdoors he sequestered himself in the rhododendrons and wouldn't come out.  Then he sprinted franticly down the fields towards the lake.  Dad and I searched for him but we finally gave up and said we'd try again in the morning.  We didn't find him then.  The next afternoon, a neighbor spotted Beau lying dead in the patch of woods by the lake.  It was strange how sad my folks were.  I was surprised that I was sad too.  There were times when I just wanted cave the fat f**k's skull in with a shovel.  Dad once vowed he we was going to do exactly that.  Now Beau was gone at barely six years old.  Beau received doggie last rities and a proper burial in the backyard by the stone wall. 

Beau's place in family lore is that of a symbol of our collective screwiness in the eighties.  One of my last memories of Beau is watching dad returning with him from an afternoon walk (drag, more like it).  Dad had the leash wound short with Beau pulling as hard as he could in one direction and dad pulling just as hard in the other!  That sums it up! 

Even though Beau was the most horrid dog I ever knew, I've grown fond of him in my memories.  Shoot, I'd sure like to see him once more...well, not really.  No.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Epilogue:

What did kill Beau?  The bloodhound is one of the shortest-lived breeds of dogs living on average just under seven years.  Beau lived barely six years.  It didn't help that he was obese and miserable.  According to Wikipedia, gastric dilatation volvulus kills a lot of bloodhounds.  This would account for the sudden onset and quick mortality.  I always felt it was a vascular rupture and consequent internal bleeding.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/17/09 at 9:04 am

;D

What a story, Max.  Beau sounds like a great dog even though he was very naughty. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 7:07 pm

;D

What a story, Max.  Beau sounds like a great dog even though he was very naughty. 

Heh heh, it's one those things, fun to laugh about twenty years later, but at the time it was grievous!

Kind of wished Beau would just get hit by a car.  He did once.  The motorist knocked on our door to discuss how we were going to pay for the damage to his BMW!

If we never had Beau, "Turner and Hooch" would be just another crummy Tom Hanks movie, but when they show it on TV, I just nod and say, "I've been there!"
Don't eat the car! Not the car! Oh, what am I yelling at you for? You're a dog!
:D

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/09 at 7:37 pm

Here's a real fun question for you all:  how do you go about litterbox training a DOG? ;D

Yes, after these past few days of disgusting temps, we have decided that the poor dog doesn't need to suffer anymore, so we bought him a litterbox and dog litter.  Apparently, you CAN train smaller dogs to use them, but I'm just "WTF?" about this idea.  Do you think it would be the same as training a cat?

I guess I can google it, but I thought it would be fun to see if anyone had any suggestions about it.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/17/09 at 8:04 pm

Here's a real fun question for you all:  how do you go about litterbox training a DOG? ;D

Yes, after these past few days of disgusting temps, we have decided that the poor dog doesn't need to suffer anymore, so we bought him a litterbox and dog litter.  Apparently, you CAN train smaller dogs to use them, but I'm just "WTF?" about this idea.  Do you think it would be the same as training a cat?

I guess I can google it, but I thought it would be fun to see if anyone had any suggestions about it.
You will probably have a better time googling - paper training a dog...  Dog's do not have a compulsion to cover up their stuff - happy to leave it lie around - so they do not need litter.  Just pick a spot (or if the dog has "accidents" in a certain area- that'll work) they (dogs) like to go in the same area each time.  Put some poo on the area and viola - a spot to go (as long as it agrees with them) Do not put it near food or water

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/09 at 9:45 pm

What size of dog?
???

Written By: Jessica on 01/17/09 at 9:50 pm

What size of dog?
???

Seven and a half pound (on a good day) Mini-pinscher/chihuahua mix.  He's shorthair, which is why he sorta freaks out when the temp drops.  He has sweaters to wear when he goes out, but the cold these past couple of days has been brutal for him and his paws. :-\\

You will probably have a better time googling - paper training a dog...  Dog's do not have a compulsion to cover up their stuff - happy to leave it lie around - so they do not need litter.  Just pick a spot (or if the dog has "accidents" in a certain area- that'll work) they (dogs) like to go in the same area each time.  Put some poo on the area and viola - a spot to go (as long as it agrees with them) Do not put it near food or water

Hahaha.  You are correct.  I looked it up on some doggy website. :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/17/09 at 9:55 pm

Hahaha.  You are correct.  I looked it up on some doggy website. :D
Worked at a vet clinic for 3 years and learned all sorts of training techniques and therapies  - never knew when they would become useful.

Paper training may be allright for a small dog :-\\  BUT I have a Newfoundland (NOT SOMETHING I WANT IN THE HOUSE 8-P) ;D

Written By: NbC on 01/18/09 at 1:18 am

This link shows different ways of setting up a litter box for Dogs.  Cool idea!

http://wepuppy.blogspot.com/2006/11/litter-box-for-dogs.html

How about toilet training a cat.  I have heard it was possible.  Has anyone tried this before.  I hate the smell of a litter box and the mess it creates.  8-P

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/18/09 at 7:58 am

This link shows different ways of setting up a litter box for Dogs.  Cool idea!

http://wepuppy.blogspot.com/2006/11/litter-box-for-dogs.html

How about toilet training a cat.  I have heard it was possible.  Has anyone tried this before.  I hate the smell of a litter box and the mess it creates.  8-P

My cat used to go on the toilet - but I never did train him to do it.  My husband freaked out on him when he would open the door and Nirmal would be on the toilet; he finally scared Nirm so much (that the cat refused to use the toilet anymore :().  (Nirmal had the habit of "closing" the door - rubbing it till it closed- while he was in the bathroom.  OBVIOUSLY wanted privacy my husband refused to give him)

They have kits on how to toilet train you cat (basically a bowl that fits under the lid of the toilet, it sits down in the toilet bowl.  You put cat litter in the bowl and use it as a regular litter box, you then remove the litter and the cat is to continue going while sitting on the toilet.

Written By: ninny on 01/18/09 at 10:27 am

I have 4 cats,3 of them are always hungry and the 4th only eats what he needs to.All my cats are males and are fixed,we always heard that is a reason for the cats being fat,but only 3 of ours are :-\\ so I'm not sure if that theory is true.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/09 at 12:25 pm

My cat used to go on the toilet - but I never did train him to do it.  My husband freaked out on him when he would open the door and Nirmal would be on the toilet; he finally scared Nirm so much (that the cat refused to use the toilet anymore :().  (Nirmal had the habit of "closing" the door - rubbing it till it closed- while he was in the bathroom.  OBVIOUSLY wanted privacy my husband refused to give him)

They have kits on how to toilet train you cat (basically a bowl that fits under the lid of the toilet, it sits down in the toilet bowl.  You put cat litter in the bowl and use it as a regular litter box, you then remove the litter and the cat is to continue going while sitting on the toilet.

I have often thought about toilet training my cats because Elvira LOVES to build sand castles in the little box (I think was Patti who used to have that on her signature line) and she gets litter EVERYWHERE. However, Carlos' mother TRAINED him to put the cover down after he uses it so in order to train my cats I would have to untrain my husband.  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: NbC on 01/19/09 at 3:53 am

That is one Smart Cat!!!  I bet your husband regrets scaring the cat now.  ;)  :)  But I can see how someone would get put off with the idea of an animal using their toilet. 

Written By: Paul on 01/19/09 at 6:57 am

Nirmal had the habit of "closing" the door - rubbing it till it closed- while he was in the bathroom.

What a talent! I wish I could get my mog to do that...

She's dam' good at opening doors, but never shuts 'em behind her...a 'must' in a cold snap!

As for eating, she's got food out at all times which she'll eat when she wants (unless it's a certain flavour of food which she's not keen on...then it becomes a battle of wills!)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/09 at 5:59 pm

Well, since a few people have been talking about this subject in other threads, next question:

Do you let your pet(s) sleep on the bed with you?

My answer is yes. I really like to have Elvira there at night because I know she is not getting into trouble throughout the night.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/23/09 at 6:33 pm

Well, since a few people have been talking about this subject in other threads, next question:

Do you let your pet(s) sleep on the bed with you?

My answer is yes. I really like to have Elvira there at night because I know she is not getting into trouble throughout the night.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I did when we had them.  One of my cats used to crawl under the covers during the winter.  Guess he got cold.  The first time he did it scared me to death.  I have never had a cat do that. ;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/23/09 at 6:38 pm

I guess you were referring to me, Jess and Rice?  ;D

My dog has his own bed in our room, with a big comforter on it, so I know he stays warm.  But he will sometimes come over and wake me up in the middle of the night if he can't cover himself properly.  He really is so funny.  But like I was saying on the sleep thread, my husband won't let him sleep with us, but I will absolutely let him in bed with me if my husband is up.  I love to snuggle!

Jess and Rice call their dog "Ratdog."  I call mine "Bratdog." 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 5:19 pm

Question:

Reference this site:  Litter box training the dog

So it's about three or so weeks into the litter box training.  The dog has been "crated" (he's not in a cage but he is confined to his own area in the corner of the unit) such that his only choice is to pee in his bed or in the litter box.  We've since removed the litter box and lined his area with paper, in an effort to transition him over to litter box.  He did piddle a bit in his bed, but when he couldn't take it one night, he actually peed on the paper outside the bed, and I rewarded him with treats when I discovered this.  Unfortunately he hasn't done this consistently enough that he can be properly reinforced.  There are a few things with the article that we've tried, although:

1. They do not really say what happens if the dog is already housebroken (i.e. they know they have to go outside to pee and poo), and you're trying to train them that it's okay to pee inside where it's warm, or maybe I just completely missed this section, my reading comprehension is surprisingly low...

2.  They don't seem to talk about what happens if the dog just holds it and holds it, and one of our major concerns is that the dog will get a bladder or urinary tract infection if he's stubborn and holds it in for 24+ hours.

My bigger concern is that the dog is kind of silly, he will actually dive into snow banks that are like three times his size to pee and poo, and then he'll jump out and be like "OMFG it's cold!" and then I'll be exasperated because he could've just peed on the sidewalk and I would've cleaned up his crap or just kicked snow over it :P  His paws get all red and raw and his ears suffer because no matter what we do, we can't keep his hat on his weird-shaped head.  It's not like he's a mutant, but he is part chihuahua and apparently those dogs aren't very good with hats.  As an aside, they're not very good in the winter either :D

So, do you think that our method of just making him stay in his area will cause him to get an infection?  I don't know which is worse, getting a bladder infection or having his paws get frostbite...it's really sad and hurtful to watch him do his tripod limp back home :(  But my wife's other dog, the chocolab, had a bladder infection last month and he was really messed up, so I don't want that either.  I think it's better for the silly dog to get trained to do his business inside though...

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 5:44 pm

Yes the dog could get a bladder infection, urine get too acidic and such....

No, I myself do not know how to retrain a dog - some dogs are easier than others, little dogs are hard enough to get "housebroke" in the first place, I do not know what if you want to "unbreak" them.  People who do paper training usually start as pups, as far as I know. 

Remember that you will not be able to, re take him outside once the "paper training is complete" - the weather is nice etc..... 

Could the dog be "playing" you with the dog limp and such.  Obviously he likes the snow if he is willing to dive into it (some dogs hate the snow, and refuse to touch it, so they do poop on the sidewalk, owners shovel out the yard, etc...).  Can you go to a pile of snow closer to home????  A dog is not going to get frostbite from just going outside and going potty (possible but unlikely).  Can you pick him up and carry him???? 

Not sure what to tell you,  I have never heard of anyone trying to retrain the dog :-\\

Sorry

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 5:49 pm

Hmmm.  Guess it is impossible.  Bummer.

Well, we'll try the paper stuff during the winter, but the dog needs his exercise too.  Grumblecakes :P

I suppose we could just walk him once a day so he knows that it's okay to piddle in his area, and to reduce his exposure to the cold.  Luckily it'll be warmer this weekend.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 5:58 pm

Hmmm.  Guess it is impossible.  Bummer.

Well, we'll try the paper stuff during the winter, but the dog needs his exercise too.  Grumblecakes :P

I suppose we could just walk him once a day so he knows that it's okay to piddle in his area, and to reduce his exposure to the cold.  Luckily it'll be warmer this weekend.
Any dog booties, so the snow does not freeze in between his toes - that is probably why he is limping on the way back????

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 6:01 pm

Any dog booties, so the snow does not freeze in between his toes - that is probably why he is limping on the way back????

We'd have to make our own, although Jess saw some booties on another chihuahua somewhere.  They aren't commercially available, at least not at Petsmart.

I'm pretty sure the dog isn't pretending though, he whimpers and whines and when I touch his paws to examine them he kinda freaks out, he doesn't bite or anything but it definitely sounds painful.  It sucks that you can't really train a dog seasonally, but I guess it would help if he spoke English or I spoke dog :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 6:12 pm

We'd have to make our own, although Jess saw some booties on another chihuahua somewhere.  They aren't commercially available, at least not at Petsmart.

I'm pretty sure the dog isn't pretending though, he whimpers and whines and when I touch his paws to examine them he kinda freaks out, he doesn't bite or anything but it definitely sounds painful.  It sucks that you can't really train a dog seasonally, but I guess it would help if he spoke English or I spoke dog :-\\
probably the snow getting stuck in the hair inbetween his toes, and it pulling the hair skin and all, more so than frostbite.  If there are long hairs, take scissors and trim it out.  There are all sorts of xsmall booties on the market, google or go to a "pampered" pooch boutique :P.  Then you get to train your dog to walk in booties :-\\

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 6:49 pm

probably the snow getting stuck in the hair inbetween his toes, and it pulling the hair skin and all, more so than frostbite.  If there are long hairs, take scissors and trim it out.  There are all sorts of xsmall booties on the market, google or go to a "pampered" pooch boutique :P.  Then you get to train your dog to walk in booties :-\\

I just remembered that when it first got supercold this year, the dog would pee all kinds in the stairwell on the inside of the building.  Jess thought it was because other dogs were also peeing in the stairwell and it turned out that was the case.  That's technically still INSIDE, right?  So he can be trained to go inside...hmmm.

I'll have to think about this more.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:01 pm

I just remembered that when it first got supercold this year, the dog would pee all kinds in the stairwell on the inside of the building.  Jess thought it was because other dogs were also peeing in the stairwell and it turned out that was the case.  That's technically still INSIDE, right?  So he can be trained to go inside...hmmm.

I'll have to think about this more.
like I said first - take your paper or litter box to the nearest fire hydrant and leave it.........

Every dog will pee on it, problem solved ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 7:03 pm

like I said first - take your paper or litter box to the nearest fire hydrant and leave it.........

You really think that'll work?  :o

If it does work, you are a genius and I send virtual hugz.

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:07 pm

You really think that'll work?  :o

If it does work, you are a genius and I send virtual hugz.
I just know dogs have a dominance thing, they like to go where other dogs go.  Mark their territory and such - why dogs go beside a fire hydrant, telephone pole, light pole, dumpster etc......  Popular public bathroom....

If you can make your room, box, paper a popular bathroom you may have a chance :o

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:11 pm

Sorry I thought I had already said this, in some smart alek sort of way, but after reviewing, it must have been one of those posts that I thought needed to be forgotten.....

:-[

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/02/09 at 7:12 pm

Sorry I thought I had already said this, in some smart alek sort of way, but after reviewing, it must have been one of those posts that I thought needed to be forgotten.....

:-
I just know dogs have a dominance thing, they like to go where other dogs go.  Mark their territory and such - why dogs go beside a fire hydrant, telephone pole, light pole, dumpster etc......  Popular public bathroom....

If you can make your room, box, paper a popular bathroom you may have a chance :o

Okay, I'll leave the box downstairs next to our dog run tomorrow with a note for the other tenants.  Our militant vegan neighbor has a couple of female pit bulls that should love that :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/02/09 at 7:43 pm

S'okay, advice always appreciated :D  By the way, do you know of any pills that we can get at Petsmart that will help improve his doggy urinary health?  He also eats these pills to help his coat, as he has weird dogdruff.

Okay, I'll leave the box downstairs next to our dog run tomorrow with a note for the other tenants.  Our militant vegan neighbor has a couple of female pit bulls that should love that :D
Good Luck with the box.

I am not sure what pills Petsmart has.  I know we gave glucosamine for urinary health in cats ???  Do they make cranberry pills for dogs???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/04/09 at 2:13 pm

Update: I carried the dog down last night.  He HATES the cold but will pee with his dong actually digging hole in the snow for like a minute, then I let him back in.  Today I carried him down in his litter box with some paper lining it, he actually peed quite a bit on the paper as I headed down the stairs, then he hopped out and peed in the snow.  I left a note on the box telling the other tenants to have their dogs pee on the box because we're training our silly chihuahua.  So I hope it works out!  :o

Written By: karen on 02/04/09 at 2:36 pm

http://dogs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=dogs&cdn=homegarden&tm=13&gps=79_549_1436_692&f=00&tt=12&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.muttluks.com/our_products/index.php

I think they make these for small dogs

Written By: Rice_Cube on 02/04/09 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, that would work!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/10/09 at 8:45 pm

I was just wondering.  Does anyone else here have pet hooded rats?  My 2 year old rat Zombie is wobbling around and can barely feed herself.  I've already taken her to the vet, she's got a tumor.  I know rat's get tumors but I'm just worried. >:(

Written By: statsqueen on 03/10/09 at 9:47 pm

We had a very fat cat adopt us.  He came to the back door one day (no tags, ID, collar) and stayed.  We had 2 6' couches that had 3 cushions each (so you get an idea of how wide the cushions are, right?)....the cat would lie on the couch and take up an entire cushion by himself.  And forget about putting him on your lap, your legs would be asleep in minutes!  We named him Garfield because he looked like an oversize version of the cartoon.  We ended up giving him to my aunt who is also a cat person and didn't already have other cats.  They kept each other company and when he passed, she got 2 more cats (thinner).

Written By: NbC on 03/11/09 at 7:41 am

I was just wondering.  Does anyone else here have pet hooded rats?  My 2 year old rat Zombie is wobbling around and can barely feed herself.  I've already taken her to the vet, she's got a tumor.  I know rat's get tumors but I'm just worried. >:(

I have never kept rats but I have heard that they make great pets.  I have had guinea pigs, rabbits and mice.  Rodents usually do not live long lives, two/three years is the norm.  I am sorry about your rat.  Probably all you can really do is just make him/her as comfortable as possible. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/11/09 at 10:22 am

I have never kept rats but I have heard that they make great pets.  I have had guinea pigs, rabbits and mice.  Rodents usually do not live long lives, two/three years is the norm.  I am sorry about your rat.  Probably all you can really do is just make him/her as comfortable as possible. 

I'm feeding her Ensure protein shake through a medicine dropper.  She's doing a little better.  Because she can't really eat I think she was starting to get malnourished.  She tried to escape from her cage on her own.  That's always a good sign. ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 03/12/09 at 9:08 pm

I have Hooded , Dumbo , hairless  , blue & regular ones .
15 in all.
{also have a rabbit,a guinea pig & 3 Sugar Gliders}
It's horrible,considering their average life span...but some do get tumors.
Hand feed her, use a dropper if needed...Keep Her comfy...We've had rats that lived a year after a large tumor.....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/12/09 at 9:51 pm

15 in all.
Hand feed her, use a dropper if needed...Keep Her comfy...We've had rats that lived a year after a large tumor.....

15 rats!!!  Another rat lover, cool.  I had to separate the sick one from her sister.  She just too week and her sister is too rowdy.  Yep, I've been hand feeding her.  She seems to know she's being cared for. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/13/09 at 12:27 pm

Rats were popular pets among punks.  It was all part of the punk ethos, we're outcast and despised like the rats, so we should call the rats our own.  Something like that.  Rats got a lot of bad PR because of plague so it's nice to see them take their place in the menagerie!
8)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/13/09 at 2:35 pm

Rats were popular pets among punks.  It was all part of the punk ethos, we're outcast and despised like the rats, so we should call the rats our own.  Something like that.  Rats got a lot of bad PR because of plague so it's nice to see them take their place in the menagerie!
8)

Some rats have more personality than people I know.  I've had rats for the past 6 years, never more than two females at a time.  Mine like to watch TV.  One was a big Oprah fan, wouldn't move an inch during that show.  Rats didn't cause the plague it was the fleas on them that did. 

Written By: Jessica on 03/13/09 at 11:45 pm

Some rats have more personality than people I know.

It's so very true.  My sister used to keep rats.  They were wonderful pets.  My favorite was Nibbles, a sweet gray and white fancy rat.  She was so gentle and loving.  My sister used to carry her around in her pocket.  We were all sad when she died because she was such a joy to have around. :\'(

Now she has a little hamster, who is small, but a ball of fire.  He's blind in one eye due to a cataract, but he'll still bite the crap out of you if get too near him without gloves. ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/14/09 at 5:33 am

It's so very true.  My sister used to keep rats.  They were wonderful pets.  My favorite was Nibbles, a sweet gray and white fancy rat.  She was so gentle and loving.  My sister used to carry her around in her pocket.  We were all sad when she died because she was such a joy to have around. :\'(

Now she has a little hamster, who is small, but a ball of fire.  He's blind in one eye due to a cataract, but he'll still bite the crap out of you if get too near him without gloves. ;D

Yeah, rats like their pet humans.  My late rat Spazzy used to try and answer the door whenever their was a knock.  It was pretty cool to watch.  Funniest thing was I had a cat when I had her.  Spazzy was obviously the boss.  She'd smack the cat and the cat wouldn't do a darn thing.  One time I got mad and kicked them both out of the house.  Imagine the landlord finding a whining cat and a rat just sitting there on a porch.  Landlord asked what they did, I told him.  His only response was "you didn't tell them about the Squatters Law did you?  Guess you had to be there. :-\\  But I wish I had a video camera. :D

Written By: NbC on 03/14/09 at 8:51 pm

All the talk about what great pets rats make, makes me want to go out and get one for myself.  Unfortunately, the pet shops here only carry mice.  I wouldn't be surprised if customs doesn't allow them in. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/09 at 9:04 pm

Some rats have more personality than people I know.  I've had rats for the past 6 years, never more than two females at a time.  Mine like to watch TV.  One was a big Oprah fan, wouldn't move an inch during that show.  Rats didn't cause the plague it was the fleas on them that did. 

Yeah, that's why I said the rats got bad PR!  In their own defense, the fleas would point the finger at Yersinia pestis...

600 years later the matter is still not quite settled!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death

Written By: Michael C. on 03/15/09 at 5:17 pm

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2429/piglet.th.jpg

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5919/piggy1.th.jpg

A couple of Our Ratties

Written By: Michael C. on 03/15/09 at 5:23 pm

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8076/groupratties2.th.jpg

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6177/groupratties.th.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/314/juliaspictures068.th.jpg

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5931/juliaspictures195.th.jpg

More Ratties

Written By: Michael C. on 03/15/09 at 5:32 pm

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/314/juliaspictures068.th.jpg

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6109/kef.th.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 03/15/09 at 5:43 pm

How's Your little rattie doing ? Any better?

15 rats!!!  Another rat lover, cool.  I had to separate the sick one from her sister.  She just too week and her sister is too rowdy.  Yep, I've been hand feeding her.  She seems to know she's being cared for. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/16/09 at 6:07 pm

15 in all.

Is your name Willard?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/16/09 at 6:26 pm

How's Your little rattie doing ? Any better?

She's no longer eating at all and she's losing her fur.  Both eyes are completely glued shut.  I'm just trying to keep her comfortable until she goes.  :\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 03/16/09 at 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear that.
She's no longer eating at all and she's losing her fur.  Both eyes are completely glued shut.  I'm just trying to keep her comfortable until she goes.  :\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 03/16/09 at 9:30 pm

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4585/76390001.th.jpg

No ....But We've met Him..........{Bruce Davison....Willard- 1971}

Is your name Willard?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/17/09 at 10:18 am

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4585/76390001.th.jpg

No ....But We've met Him..........{Bruce Davison....Willard- 1971}

That was Bruce Davison? I saw the movie (at the movies-I guess that is dating me  :-[ ) but didn't realize that was him. The first thing I recall seeing Bruce in is Crimes of Passion with Kathleen Turner.

Sorry everyone for going off topic.

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/18/09 at 2:15 pm

The vet had to put her to sleep.  RIP Zombie. :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/09 at 2:21 pm

Awwww, I'm so sorry.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 03/18/09 at 3:47 pm

If I'm not mistaken...His first Film was released in 1969...Last Summerw/ Richard Thomas & Barbara Hershey.
The first Film I ever saw Him in was Ulzana's Raidw/ Burt Lancaster.After Willard...of couse...My favorite Film He was in was 1976'sMother Jugs and Speedw/ Bill Cosby,Harvey Keitel and Raquel Welch.....{When I saw this Film, there was a Sneak Preview...back in those days...they didn't tell You what the sneak was...After the Bill Cosby comedy...they previewed The Omen......had never heard anything about it ...WOW....What a night that was}

That was Bruce Davison? I saw the movie (at the movies-I guess that is dating me  :-[ ) but didn't realize that was him. The first thing I recall seeing Bruce in is Crimes of Passion with Kathleen Turner.

Sorry everyone for going off topic.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 03/18/09 at 3:50 pm

I am so sorry !
Over the years We've lost many...and it's something that's never easy.
R.I.P. Zombie {what a cute name}

Written By: Jessica on 03/18/09 at 4:02 pm

:\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/09 at 4:37 pm

If I'm not mistaken...His first Film was released in 1969...Last Summerw/ Richard Thomas & Barbara Hershey.
The first Film I ever saw Him in was Ulzana's Raidw/ Burt Lancaster.After Willard...of couse...My favorite Film He was in was 1976'sMother Jugs and Speedw/ Bill Cosby,Harvey Keitel and Raquel Welch.....{When I saw this Film, there was a Sneak Preview...back in those days...they didn't tell You what the sneak was...After the Bill Cosby comedy...they previewed The Omen......had never heard anything about it ...WOW....What a night that was}

I remember Last Summer along with Mother, Jugs & Speed.

Cat

Written By: NbC on 03/19/09 at 8:08 am

I am so sorry!  I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet. 

Written By: karen on 03/19/09 at 10:12 am

Sorry to hear that Kathie

Written By: Michael C. on 03/22/09 at 5:19 pm

How's Your other Rattie doing ?

Written By: Dagwood on 03/22/09 at 7:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. :(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/23/09 at 8:50 pm

*sigh*  I should get a toddler rat and start all over again. :-\\

Written By: Michael C. on 03/24/09 at 8:12 pm

I'm a firm believer that if You lose a Rattie You should adopt another one and give Him {or Her} the best life You can....................

*sigh*  I should get a toddler rat and start all over again. :-\\

Written By: Michael C. on 03/29/09 at 1:22 am

Got 5 more Rats yesterday....4 tiny girls & a 8 month Boy.{a Blue Rat}
The Girls will join the other Ladies when they get bigger.
The other Guys took to the new one right away.......

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/29/09 at 11:46 am

Got 5 more Rats yesterday....4 tiny girls & a 8 month Boy.{a Blue Rat}
The Girls will join the other Ladies when they get bigger.
The other Guys took to the new one right away.......

I'll only take on two rats at a time.  I knew someone who had 20 rats at one time.  The guy was a hoarder.  I fell in love with one of his baby rats and wanted it.  He wouldn't let me have him because he was afraid I would flush him down the toilet.  I eventually got him after the guy was desperate for cash.  Anyone, he was quite amazed when he realized I had trained the rat so well I could leave the cage open.  He would also come when I'd call his name. :)

Written By: Michael C. on 03/29/09 at 7:38 pm

The most We ever had..........{when 2 gave birth right after the other......} was 32........
Right now We're at 19..............

I'll only take on two rats at a time.  I knew someone who had 20 rats at one time.  The guy was a hoarder.  I fell in love with one of his baby rats and wanted it.  He wouldn't let me have him because he was afraid I would flush him down the toilet.  I eventually got him after the guy was desperate for cash.  Anyone, he was quite amazed when he realized I had trained the rat so well I could leave the cage open.  He would also come when I'd call his name. :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/30/09 at 11:24 am

The most We ever had..........{when 2 gave birth right after the other......} was 32........
Right now We're at 19..............

If taken care of properly 32 is ok.  I just feel that two is enough for me to have enough time to give to develop their personalities.  Did I mention my rats used to watch more TV than I did.? ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 03/30/09 at 4:27 pm

We've rescued a lot of the Rats & found good homes for some.
THe ones We have now aren't going anywhere.
We take excellent care of the Ratties.
Their cages are huge....2 levels in both cages.....
Toys...Running wheels....Treats {Yogies}
The 4 Ladies We got on Fri. are small.So...We've got them in a separate cage till they get bigger.
When We walk in the room the Boys jump up on the side of the cage to get their bellies rubbed.
They all get taken out & held everyday.

If taken care of properly 32 is ok.  I just feel that two is enough for me to have enough time to give to develop their personalities.  Did I mention my rats used to watch more TV than I did.? ;D

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 12:46 pm

One of Our new Ratties:
Bianca
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/bianca.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 12:51 pm

Another Newbie:
Toast
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/toast.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/05/09 at 12:58 pm

One of Our new Ratties:
Bianca
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/bianca.jpg

Awww, she looks like my Cream Puff. :)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/05/09 at 1:56 pm

They're adorable, Michael.

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/05/09 at 2:09 pm

Looking for a house dog - I want Standard Poodle (yeah the big ones - no I will not POOF their hair), my husband wants more of a schnauzer, daughter wants a yorkie.....

All are low shed and less allergic, trying to decide on the pup... Not so big on the Yorkie as they keep making them so small (I would like the traditional 10 #yorkie - now they are more like 4 - MY CAT WILL BEAT IT UP) Thinking maybe Welsh terrier - but I do not know much about them...

I like big dogs - which is why I go more for the Airedale, Standard Poodle, or the giant Schnauzer...  Anyone have any ideas - I am searching all internet and newspapers - (Easter bunny may bring this - or we may wait for Mothers Day).

Want a dog that can be trained to do trick, fetch and such...  daughter wants to do agility...  Go camping with us and other things that we have going on (T BALL, Fairs , Farmers Markets. etc...)

I think Chinese crested are coool - but my husband says he does not want to be seen with it (even though he thinks they are soo ugly they are cute :-[)

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 7:32 pm

Cantelope  and  Paris Hilton
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/cantelope.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/JuliasPictures073.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 7:36 pm

More Pictures of
Cantelope  and  Paris Hilton

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/Cantelope1.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/JuliasPictures068.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 7:39 pm

Thanks !!
They're adorable, Michael.

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 8:14 pm

3 Hairless babies.
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/JuliasPictures220.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 8:26 pm

Toast w/ Her full belly after eating.
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/toastiesbelly.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/05/09 at 8:55 pm

Giada DeLaurentis {left}
Princess {right}
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss167/MCola2004/giadaandprincess.jpg

Written By: Michael C. on 04/12/09 at 10:39 am

Lost one of Our Ratties yesterday.......Strawberry........Very sad...especially for Her Daughter, Pumpkin.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/12/09 at 11:28 am

Lost one of Our Ratties yesterday.......Strawberry........Very sad...especially for Her Daughter, Pumpkin.  :\'(

Awwww, I am so sorry.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 04/12/09 at 12:07 pm

Thanks.
She had a long life {for a Rattie} and We did all We could to make it a happy one...........

Awwww, I am so sorry.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/09 at 3:56 pm

I miss cats, haven't had one since '94! :( We had a few when I was a kid, but even then they had to be "sorta outdoors" because my dad was allergic. From what I recall though, we fed them manually at certain times.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/12/09 at 6:33 pm

My condolences.  It's heartbreaking to have to "let one go". :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/09 at 7:12 pm

Many times we have found the trash basket in the bathroom on it's side. Yeah, our "Little Miss Mischief" loves to get into mischief (thus her nickname). However, last night I noticed that it was Electra-not Elvira who got into it. What she got was the package to Carlos' denture cleaner.  ??? She was attacking it as if it was catnip. I left it on the floor for her and Elvira came by and did the same thing. So, that is why they keep going in there. Who knew that cats like denture cleaner?  :o :o :o I just hope it won't hurt them. I don't see how it could when it is used to clean something that you are supposed to put in your mouth.

Cat

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 8:21 pm

I feel bad tonight about a cat.

There has been this stray kitten hanging around (because we started feeding it) for about a week now, that is just nothing but fur and bones.  We don't know where it came from, but it has mange and I'm sure no one has ever fed it.  So we started making sure there was food and water out for it. I think he may be partially blind, and he meows so loud and is just so pitiful. 

Today we went to the beach and when we pulled in the driveway this evening, he was laying in the yard near the front porch and I didn't think he was even breathing.  He finally meowed, but you can tell he's nearly gone. He didn't even get up when I brought some more food out and put it right near his head along with some cool water.

I checked on him awhile ago, and he is turning over and stretching some, but still not getting up to eat or drink.  I have to work tomorrow and if Matthew finds him and he's passed away in the morning, my Mom will have to do something about it.  I've prepared her that maybe our neighbor next door can help if they have to bury him tomorrow.

I had called about taking him to a vet, but none in town will take him and animal control said they'd just put him to sleep.  I was preparing to take him to a shelter Monday morning if he was still hanging out here.

It's hard because Matthew (and I) will try and help any animal we see in distress.  That's why we have our indoor cat, we found her when she was tiny and now she's the Diva of the house.  We also have an outdoor cat that has adopted us and he's sweeter than the Diva. Then there's the gopher turtle in our backyard.... ::)

I just know if his kitten passes during the night, he'll be in a beter place and not be hungry or in pain anymore.  :\'(

Written By: Womble on 05/03/09 at 9:37 am

There has been this stray kitten hanging around (because we started feeding it) for about a week now, that is just nothing but fur and bones.  We don't know where it came from, but it has mange and I'm sure no one has ever fed it.  So we started making sure there was food and water out for it. I think he may be partially blind, and he meows so loud and is just so pitiful. 

Today we went to the beach and when we pulled in the driveway this evening, he was laying in the yard near the front porch and I didn't think he was even breathing.  He finally meowed, but you can tell he's nearly gone. He didn't even get up when I brought some more food out and put it right near his head along with some cool water.

I checked on him awhile ago, and he is turning over and stretching some, but still not getting up to eat or drink.  I have to work tomorrow and if Matthew finds him and he's passed away in the morning, my Mom will have to do something about it.  I've prepared her that maybe our neighbor next door can help if they have to bury him tomorrow.

I had called about taking him to a vet, but none in town will take him and animal control said they'd just put him to sleep.  I was preparing to take him to a shelter Monday morning if he was still hanging out here.

It's hard because Matthew (and I) will try and help any animal we see in distress.  That's why we have our indoor cat, we found her when she was tiny and now she's the Diva of the house.  We also have an outdoor cat that has adopted us and he's sweeter than the Diva. Then there's the gopher turtle in our backyard.... ::)

I just know if his kitten passes during the night, he'll be in a beter place and not be hungry or in pain anymore.  :\'(

That's a very sad and touching story. You are a very good-hearted person to endure all the heartache involved with feeding and nurturing that poor, hopeless kitten. The animal probably would not have survived this long if not for you. God bless you.

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/03/09 at 2:32 pm

Aawwww.  That just about broke my heart. :\'(

Written By: anabel on 05/03/09 at 6:31 pm

Hi and thanks! It made me feel a little better last night to type that, sorry it's so sad... :\'(  Even sadder, this is the last chapter of the story.

Here's something to check off my list of things I never want to do on a Sunday afternoon again.  Bury a kitten.  :\'(

This morning at 6:30 when I left for work, the kitten was still in the same spot, he hadn't moved overnight at all, so I knew he was gone.  So Matthew woke up just before I left and I told him just to stay in and help Grammy while I was at work.  When he remembered to check on the kitten (he named it Taz) he realized he was still "asleep" in the same place.  When I called this morning around 10am to check on him, he told me he's been checking on Taz.  He said he opened the front door a few times and that Taz didn't look up or meow like usual.

My Mom was good about explaining to him that Taz's heart and soul are in Heaven and he's happy now.  Matthew knows we did all we could to help, but Taz was probably already on his last week of life when he came to us no matter what we would have done. So, Mom put Taz in a box for us and when I got home from work, Matthew and I found a really nice spot in the backyard to bury him.  We got a little plaque that has the scripture:

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.

We put it in the grave with Taz, said a few words, and buried him.  I have to admit for first time grave digggers, we rocked. Matthew helped a lot, and he was braver than I was.  (I'm afraid of bugs and will do anything to get out of disposing of one) So I'm a squeamish person when it comes to this kind of thing, but we got through it.

I have to say, when something serious happens, and I get the chance to really see my son's true character, and the young man he's becoming, (he's only 8,but still...) I'm so proud of him. He's a real stand up kind of kid. He has the biggest, sweetest heart, he's still pretty naive about some things, but he can be very brave and can think on his feet when faced with something.

I'd say a couple of good things came out of this.  Taz felt like he had someone that loved him during the last week of his life, and we found out that we can help and do the best we can for someone, but when it's time to let go, we can do that too.

I'm off to take a muscle relaxer for my back-I hope I can walk upright tomorrow..... ::)

Written By: Womble on 05/03/09 at 6:59 pm

Hi and thanks! It made me feel a little better last night to type that, sorry it's so sad... :\'(  Even sadder, this is the last chapter of the story.

Here's something to check off my list of things I never want to do on a Sunday afternoon again.  Bury a kitten.  :\'(

This morning at 6:30 when I left for work, the kitten was still in the same spot, he hadn't moved overnight at all, so I knew he was gone.  So Matthew woke up just before I left and I told him just to stay in and help Grammy while I was at work.  When he remembered to check on the kitten (he named it Taz) he realized he was still "asleep" in the same place.  When I called this morning around 10am to check on him, he told me he's been checking on Taz.  He said he opened the front door a few times and that Taz didn't look up or meow like usual.

My Mom was good about explaining to him that Taz's heart and soul are in Heaven and he's happy now.  Matthew knows we did all we could to help, but Taz was probably already on his last week of life when he came to us no matter what we would have done. So, Mom put Taz in a box for us and when I got home from work, Matthew and I found a really nice spot in the backyard to bury him.  We got a little plaque that has the scripture:

We put it in the grave with Taz, said a few words, and buried him.  I have to admit for first time grave digggers, we rocked. Matthew helped a lot, and he was braver than I was.  (I'm afraid of bugs and will do anything to get out of disposing of one) So I'm a squeamish person when it comes to this kind of thing, but we got through it.

I have to say, when something serious happens, and I get the chance to really see my son's true character, and the young man he's becoming, (he's only 8,but still...) I'm so proud of him. He's a real stand up kind of kid. He has the biggest, sweetest heart, he's still pretty naive about some things, but he can be very brave and can think on his feet when faced with something.

I'd say a couple of good things came out of this.  Taz felt like he had someone that loved him during the last week of his life, and we found out that we can help and do the best we can for someone, but when it's time to let go, we can do that too.

I'm off to take a muscle relaxer for my back-I hope I can walk upright tomorrow..... ::)

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your back feels better.

Written By: anabel on 05/03/09 at 7:15 pm

Thanks, Womble :)

Written By: Michael C. on 05/03/09 at 9:07 pm

Obvious,Matthew has had a wonderful role model.
Luckily,Taz met You two to make the final days full of caring & respect.

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/04/09 at 1:41 pm

Bless you!

I am touched.  You allowed your child an experience of a lifetime to learn compassion, volunteer, and then the experience that we cannot always save (or have) everything.  Many parents are too scared to expose their child to this, and so they avoid helping anything at all.  What a wonderful life lesson.  YOu are a great person.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/09 at 1:56 pm

That is so sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/04/09 at 1:56 pm

I'm sorry to hear that.  They are very cute.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/04/09 at 1:57 pm

Bless you!

I am touched.  You allowed your child an experience of a lifetime to learn compassion, volunteer, and then the experience that we cannot always save (or have) everything.  Many parents are too scared to expose their child to this, and so they avoid helping anything at all.  What a wonderful life lesson.  YOu are a great person.

I second what Sami said.  The poor little kitten is in a much better place now.  It was great of you to try and help her out while you could.  It sounds like Matthew is a wonderful kid. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/09 at 2:56 pm

The last couple of weeks we have been seeing a very young orange kitty in our yard. The thing can't be a year yet. Last night, Carlos took the garbage out on the back porch and the cat tried to get in. And of course I'm saying to myself, "Aw, the poor baby. Maybe we SHOULD bring him/her in." Of course Carlos is saying, "Not no but HELL NO!!! We already have 2 cats, that's enough."  The big thing to do is to find out if it is the neighbors' cat. If it is the neighbors' then we can chastise them letting their cat roam on our property.  :D :D  Well, if it is theirs, I won't be so tempted to bring it inside and take care of it. Hopefully, it is theirs otherwise I can see Carlos & I haven't a BIG disagreement.  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/04/09 at 3:09 pm

It makes me sad when people let their cat's (and dogs) wander.  Soemthing bad always seems to happen to them.  Where we live, it's not really socially acceptable, but there are farmers who move into town and allow their cat's to roam.  The coyotes get them, they get run over, they get into fights with other cats, people poison them with antifreeze, the list goes on.

Every one I know keeps their cat indoors.  That makes me happy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/09 at 3:15 pm

It makes me sad when people let their cat's (and dogs) wander.  Soemthing bad always seems to happen to them.  Where we live, it's not really socially acceptable, but there are farmers who move into town and allow their cat's to roam.  The coyotes get them, they get run over, they get into fights with other cats, people poison them with antifreeze, the list goes on.

I agree.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 05/04/09 at 6:37 pm

Thanks..
It's never easy when one passes.
I'm sorry to hear that.  They are very cute.

Written By: anabel on 05/04/09 at 7:19 pm

You guys are the best on this board!  Thanks for the kind things you said about our kitty situation.  There are still things I try to shield Matthew from, because sometimes you are just too young to learn some things, but if I can be there with him to help him learn a lesson like that, I want him to have the experience and understand it.  I don't think it will stop him from wanting to help other animals, and I'm glad for that.

Karma to all of you!!  Some I could do now, but the system says I have to wait 24 hrs for some of ya... ;)

Written By: anabel on 05/04/09 at 7:27 pm

I agree with you-you should see our street.  We live on a cul-de-sac, and I think there are at least 3 grown females always out and about, and at least one of them is always having a litter.  I blame the house across the street from us.  They have a girl Matthew's age and she has all these cats and takes them in, but her parents refuse to spay the females!  Either they're just too cheap to do it or they just don't care that they are just fostering kitten making machines. I've argued with them about it and they're just too ignorant for me to deal with anymore.  We have our indoor cat because Matthew heard her meowing and pitiful, like Taz was, but not sick or unhealthy yet.  We took her in and you'd never know she had ever been outside at all-she runs under a bed whenever the front door opens... :)  We had her spayed and she always stays in.  When you allow a pet to become a part of your family, you should respect them enough to keep them safe and healthy.  I wish people understood that cats are not just to be left out to run amuck.....

Written By: Dagwood on 05/04/09 at 7:31 pm

I'm with you.  My cats always have been and always will be indoor cats.  We do have wild animals in my trailer park, but that's not the reason, I just think pets should be inside.  I understand letting dogs out to poop and run but cats have boxes and are small enough to run around inside.  It helped that neither of my cats wanted to go out anyway. ;)

That is a sad story, Anabel.  You are sweet for helping as much as you could.

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/04/09 at 7:36 pm

I agree with you-you should see our street.  We live on a cul-de-sac, and I think there are at least 3 grown females always out and about, and at least one of them is always having a litter.  I blame the house across the street from us.  They have a girl Matthew's age and she has all these cats and takes them in, but her parents refuse to spay the females!  Either they're just too cheap to do it or they just don't care that they are just fostering kitten making machines. I've argued with them about it and they're just too ignorant for me to deal with anymore.  We have our indoor cat because Matthew heard her meowing and pitiful, like Taz was, but not sick or unhealthy yet.  We took her in and you'd never know she had ever been outside at all-she runs under a bed whenever the front door opens... :)  We had her spayed and she always stays in.  When you allow a pet to become a part of your family, you should respect them enough to keep them safe and healthy.  I wish people understood that cats are not just to be left out to run amuck.....
All of our barn(or front door/chore) cats are spayed or neutered (and fed) - they are healthier and better micers.  They stay around because they are not off wandering for a mate, and do not fight as much.  I also keep them vaccinated and such (and that is 5 cats outdoors - let alone my cat inside)...  My girls are always sad that we have no kittens, but we often take them in (as we have a few get dumped in the country also).

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/05/09 at 9:59 am

All of our barn(or front door/chore) cats are spayed or neutered (and fed) - they are healthier and better micers.  They stay around because they are not off wandering for a mate, and do not fight as much.  I also keep them vaccinated and such (and that is 5 cats outdoors - let alone my cat inside)...  My girls are always sad that we have no kittens, but we often take them in (as we have a few get dumped in the country also).

We get animals dumped out by where we are also. Dogs & Cats.  it is rare for people in a rural situation to go so far as to spay their cats so KARMA to you!

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/05/09 at 3:06 pm

We get animals dumped out by where we are also. Dogs & Cats.  it is rare for people in a rural situation to go so far as to spay their cats so KARMA to you!
we have a serious problem with FIV and FLK here and I do not want to get attached to my animal and then watch them slowly suffer from disease and beat up from fighting and mating.  I also feed the kitties premium catfood- they are happy and healthy.  I will have to send pics, sort of funny watching my hubby go out and check cows and calves(or build fence) and chore cats go with.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/15/09 at 6:32 pm

Had to find a new Home for General , one of the last Rats We got....
He got along well with the other Boys for about a month...Then, He started fighting with the others. He particularly targeted Booberry.He hurt Him pretty bad.So,we put Him in the "Rattie Relocation Program"......Boo seems much better.....

Written By: anabel on 05/15/09 at 6:34 pm

Awww...sorry to hear that-it's so hard to give away a pet you love even if it's to help the others.  I'm glad your Boo is doing better, though.  Sometimes when they don't get along it's all you can do.  Sounds like you did the right thing.

Written By: Michael C. on 05/16/09 at 10:38 am

Thanks.....Unfortunately it had to be done.......
Awww...sorry to hear that-it's so hard to give away a pet you love even if it's to help the others.  I'm glad your Boo is doing better, though.  Sometimes when they don't get along it's all you can do.  Sounds like you did the right thing.

Written By: anabel on 06/01/09 at 8:44 pm

I don't know where else to put this, but this is weird....

There is a stray cat in our neighborhood.  Nothing new there, but this one is different.  Really different!  He, or she, is shaped like a Daschund!  He/she has the teeniest, shortest legs, seriously not as long as my pinkie finger!  And he/she is very long, like a daschund is! It has the cutest face and a ringed grey and black tail, but looks like a hot dog dog!  We have seen it a few times, it seems very sweet and timid (probably because all the other cats make fun of him)...when we do see him, he looks at us a minute, wondering if we are friendly or not, then runs.  And he can really run! His little body is long and so low, almost to the ground, though.  But he's fast!  Tiny legs, but this cat can run! One morning I heard meowing outside at the front window, and he was sitting on the windowsill! Even though he's not ours, we have named him The Elusive Weenie Cat.

Whenever we see him, it happens so quick and I always wish I had my camera, because this cat has to be one of a kind.  Tonight, I looked out on our lanai and there he/she was! We feed the outside cat, Morris, back there, so this cat was probably hoping for some crumbs. I had enough time to get my camera and get down on the floor and kind of slink up to the sliding glass door...he looked at me for a minute, then I called Matthew over and he looked at both of us, then as I set up the perfect shot, he took off again!

If I ever do get a good pic of this cat, I'll have to post it. I have never really seen anything so cute.  I realize it's probably a birth defect or something, but I have searched the net for something about cats like this and I can't find anything.  It's not a Munchkin cat, because it doesn't have the bent ears. He doesn't seem to be overweight either, his proportions seem right on except his legs. I keep trying to figure it out, but I'm wondering-has anyone else ever seen a cat like this?

My indoor and outdoor cats are both looking a bit jealous, like ...."What's all the fuss about?  I'm right here!"

Written By: barefootrobin on 06/02/09 at 9:51 am

I don't know where else to put this, but this is weird....

There is a stray cat in our neighborhood.  Nothing new there, but this one is different.  Really different!  He, or she, is shaped like a Daschund!   He/she has the teeniest, shortest legs, seriously not as long as my pinkie finger!  And he/she is very long, like a daschund is! It has the cutest face and a ringed grey and black tail, but looks like a hot dog dog!  We have seen it a few times, it seems very sweet and timid (probably because all the other cats make fun of him)...when we do see him, he looks at us a minute, wondering if we are friendly or not, then runs.  And he can really run! His little body is long and so low, almost to the ground, though.  But he's fast!  Tiny legs, but this cat can run! One morning I heard meowing outside at the front window, and he was sitting on the windowsill! Even though he's not ours, we have named him The Elusive Weenie Cat.

Whenever we see him, it happens so quick and I always wish I had my camera, because this cat has to be one of a kind.  Tonight, I looked out on our lanai and there he/she was! We feed the outside cat, Morris, back there, so this cat was probably hoping for some crumbs. I had enough time to get my camera and get down on the floor and kind of slink up to the sliding glass door...he looked at me for a minute, then I called Matthew over and he looked at both of us, then as I set up the perfect shot, he took off again!

If I ever do get a good pic of this cat, I'll have to post it. I have never really seen anything so cute.  I realize it's probably a birth defect or something, but I have searched the net for something about cats like this and I can't find anything.  It's not a Munchkin cat, because it doesn't have the bent ears. He doesn't seem to be overweight either, his proportions seem right on except his legs. I keep trying to figure it out, but I'm wondering-has anyone else ever seen a cat like this?

My indoor and outdoor cats are both looking a bit jealous, like ...."What's all the fuss about?  I'm right here!"

I am really looking forward tos eeing those pictures!  You MUST make it your mission to get some! 

Written By: anabel on 06/02/09 at 7:03 pm

Ok, Robin, I will!  Matthew said he was on the front porch this morning, but I missed it.  That's why we call him elusive.  We almost never see him at the same time..my camera is ready, though!  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/09 at 3:45 pm

Creampuff (furry rat friend)  has developed tumors.  Don't think she'll be around much longer. :(

Written By: anabel on 06/17/09 at 6:55 pm

Creampuff (furry rat friend)  has developed tumors.  Don't think she'll be around much longer. :(

I'm so sorry!  :-\\

Written By: anabel on 06/17/09 at 7:04 pm

Finally, here is Weenie Cat.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu163/anabel2009/100_0520.jpg?t=1245282997

It was late at night and he was skittish, so I just took a few, so I realize they are not great quality, but this is like capturing the "Bigfoot" of the cat species... ;D

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu163/anabel2009/100_0522.jpg?t=1245283191

His eyes don't look like this in person, they're very sweet, but flashes and cats' eyes just never come out right...

I have other pics, but these were actually the best 2.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/17/09 at 8:06 pm

Holy crap!  It IS real!  :o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/17/09 at 9:12 pm

I'm so sorry!  :-\\

Thanks.  She seems to be in good spirits despite having four tumors.  (yeah, they're visible)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/18/09 at 10:15 am

I'm so sorry to hear that honey!  :(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/18/09 at 10:16 am

Wow, that's crazy!  He's really cute!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/09 at 11:57 am

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu163/anabel2009/100_0520.jpg?t=1245282997

It was late at night and he was skittish, so I just took a few, so I realize they are not great quality, but this is like capturing the "Bigfoot" of the cat species... ;D

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu163/anabel2009/100_0522.jpg?t=1245283191

His eyes don't look like this in person, they're very sweet, but flashes and cats' eyes just never come out right...

I have other pics, but these were actually the best 2.

Reminds me a bit of a corgi.

Quick research & I found this:

http://www.messybeast.com/shortlegs.htm

http://www.meowmeister.com/munchkincatbreed.aspx

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 06/18/09 at 12:20 pm

Holy crap!  It IS real!  :o

I want a weenie cat!

Written By: Michael C. on 06/20/09 at 12:51 pm

:\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 06/21/09 at 10:37 am

Hoping Creampuff's doing well.....
Booberry had an infection on His foot {We drained it} It's looking much better.

Thanks.  She seems to be in good spirits despite having four tumors.  (yeah, they're visible)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/21/09 at 12:06 pm

Hoping Creampuff's doing well.....

I'm a little worried because it doesn't seem to be the average tumors.  There's one that seems to be pressing on the ribs.  The good thing is that she still response quite well to the sound of a cereal box being shaken.  About the only thing that'll get her out of her hiding place.

How did the infection start?  Sounds like it was pretty bad.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/21/09 at 12:22 pm

Probably getting scratched by one of His "crew" caused His infection.
It was pretty bad...His foot swelled....lots of discharge when We drained it & cleaned it up...Looks to be healing fine.

Creampuff's response to the familiar shaken cereal is a good sign.When feeding disinterests them,it's never good.
I'm a little worried because it doesn't seem to be the average tumors.  There's one that seems to be pressing on the ribs.  The good thing is that she still response quite well to the sound of a cereal box being shaken.  About the only thing that'll get her out of her hiding place.

How did the infection start?  Sounds like it was pretty bad.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/28/09 at 2:46 am

Booberry passed away .About 3:30am....  :\'(    I was holding Him with a Hoodie wrapped around Him,to warm Him up....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/28/09 at 5:58 am

Booberry passed away .About 3:30am....  :\'(    I was holding Him with a Hoodie wrapped around Him,to warm Him up....

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :\'(  I know it's heartbreaking when you work so hard and are up 24/7 trying to save them.

Written By: Michael C. on 06/28/09 at 10:07 am

Thanks.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :\'(  I know it's heartbreaking when you work so hard and are up 24/7 trying to save them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/09 at 11:53 am

I'm sorry.

Cat

Written By: anabel on 06/28/09 at 5:11 pm

Awwwww!  Just seeing this! It looked like he was getting better. I'm sorry.  :\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 06/29/09 at 4:11 pm

Thanks...We thought He was getting better.....

Awwwww!  Just seeing this! It looked like he was getting better. I'm sorry.  :\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 06/29/09 at 4:12 pm

Thanks,Cat

I'm sorry.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 07/10/09 at 9:03 pm

Now We've lost our Guinea Pig [named Puppy}.a couple days ago..He lived with the Rabbitt,,,,,,,
We got Him after the Rabbit's cage mate died & "Littlest",the Rabbit, seemed upset...
Littlest doesn't seem upset......So...We'll see how He does alone for awhile.....

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/11/09 at 10:09 am

Now We've lost our Guinea Pig [named Puppy}.a couple days ago..He lived with the Rabbitt,,,,,,,
We got Him after the Rabbit's cage mate died & "Littlest",the Rabbit, seemed upset...
Littlest doesn't seem upset......So...We'll see how He does alone for awhile.....

Another loss, I'm so sorry.

Some animals just don't have a fit when their cage mate dies.  Cream Puff was kind of lost for a few days until she realized she now have domination over thing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/09 at 2:31 pm

Awww, I'm so sorry.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 07/19/09 at 9:14 am

We lost our Oldest Rattie.......Giada DeLaurentis......[close to 4}...
She outlived ALL of Her babies.......

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/19/09 at 11:53 am

My condolences on losing the old wise one.  Must be difficult because she was so old. :\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 07/19/09 at 1:02 pm

Thanks....
My condolences on losing the old wise one.  Must be difficult because she was so old. :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/09 at 1:41 pm

Oh man. You keep losing them. My condolences.

Cat

Written By: Michael C. on 07/20/09 at 7:47 pm

Thanks... We tend to lose them a couple at a time.....unfortunately....

Oh man. You keep losing them. My condolences.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/09 at 11:16 am

My poor baby is constipated. I have been giving her can food hoping that will help. I called the vet today. She has an appointment on Monday. I hope she gets better before we leave on Tuesday.  :-\\

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...