inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/21/09 at 12:41 pm

My sister sent this link to me and I think it is important to get the word out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9_UrVtc6c

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ibc.asp

Cat

Subject: Re: Inflammatory Breast Cancer

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/09 at 2:06 pm

I've heard of this.  It is scary.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/21/09 at 3:38 pm

I heard of it, but really didn't have much information.  Thank You

Written By: Rice_Cube on 01/21/09 at 4:11 pm

This is different from the inflammation that I was familiar with.  In some cases the tumors can attract immune cells to the area and the subsequent inflammation can aid growth and metastasis rather than destroy the tumor.  Definitely a good idea to get yourself checked out though if there's any sort of discomfort in that area :(

Not that I have breasts or anything, but I study the disease somewhat.

Written By: karen on 01/21/09 at 6:22 pm

Is it the whole breast or just an area of discolouration?  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 01/21/09 at 6:40 pm

I got this from WebMD.  It is scary.  I had an itchy rash a couple of years ago (around when I first started hearing of this cancer) and flew to the doctor in a blind panic.  Thankfully it was just a rash, but it scared the crap out of me. 

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/tc/inflammatory-breast-cancer-topic-overview

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - Topic Overview
What is inflammatory breast cancer?

Inflammatory breast cancer is a rare, fast-growing type of breast cancer. It is often called IBC for short.

Unlike other breast cancers, this type of cancer may not cause a lump in the breast. So regular breast exams and mammograms often fail to catch it early. Because it grows so fast, it usually has spread by the time it is diagnosed.
What causes inflammatory breast cancer?

In this type of cancer, the cancer cells often do not form lumps in the breast. Instead, they form sheets, which doctors call cancer nests. These nests block the lymph vessels that normally keep lymph fluid moving in the skin of the breast.

When the normal flow of lymph fluid is blocked, it can make the breast look swollen and red and feel warm, as if it were infected. The swelling may cause lots of tiny dimples in the skin. Sometimes it causes a lump that grows quickly, but you can have inflammatory breast cancer without having a lump in your breast.
What are the symptoms?

Inflammatory breast cancer can cause one or more of these symptoms:

* A breast that is swollen, red, and warm
    * A breast that is tender or painful
    * An area of itching in the breast
    * A change in the nipple. Sometimes the nipple pulls back into the breast instead of pointing outward.
    * A change in the skin, especially an area that looks thick and pitted, like an orange peel. Sometimes there are ridges in the skin and small bumps that look like a rash or hives.
    * An area of the breast that looks bruised
    * Swollen lymph nodes under the arm
    * One or more lumps in the breast

How is inflammatory breast cancer diagnosed?

A biopsy is needed to diagnose this cancer. During a biopsy, the doctor takes a sample of the breast or the breast skin. The sample is looked at in a lab to see if it contains cancer cells.

It’s very important to diagnose inflammatory breast cancer quickly so that treatment can begin. But because it is rare, doctors may not recognize the symptoms right away. The cancer is often mistaken for other problems, like spider bites, an allergic reaction, or mastitis, which is a breast infection that is usually treated with antibiotics.

Antibiotics do not help inflammatory breast cancer. If your doctor has given you antibiotics and your symptoms do not seem to be getting better after a week, call your doctor.

After a biopsy shows that you have this type of cancer, your doctor will order more tests-such as a mammogram, a bone scan, or a CAT scan-to see if the cancer has spread.
How is it treated?

It's very important to treat this cancer as soon as possible, because it grows so fast. Treatment starts with anticancer drugs, or chemotherapy. These drugs help shrink the cancer.

Drug treatment is usually followed by surgery to remove the breast. After surgery, radiation treatment is used to try to kill any remaining cancer cells.

More chemotherapy or hormone therapy may be used after radiation, especially if cancer has spread to the lymph nodes.
How do you cope with having inflammatory breast cancer?

Finding out that you have this cancer is scary, because it is a very serious disease. But there is reason for hope, because treatment is improving. These days, many women are still free of cancer after 5, 10 and even 15 years.1

Talking with others who have the disease can help. Because the disease is so rare, finding a support group can be hard. But thanks to the Internet, it’s possible to find women who are very willing to listen to you and share their own experiences through online support groups and chat rooms.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/09 at 12:09 am

Thank you for sharing those links, Catwoman.

signature banned as well

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/09 at 12:19 am

Thank you for sharing those links, Catwoman.

signature banned as well

I agree. :)

I was really unaware of this. My mom, grandma, and aunt all had breast cancer and they all survived it. Even though I am only nearly 32 years old...I am planning on getting a mammogram real soon.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/23/09 at 12:21 am

Thanks Erin. And Feelin Froggy, too: great link and information there as well.

signature banned as well

Check for new replies or respond here...