inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Visiting rules at Hospitals

Written By: joeman on 01/29/09 at 10:39 am

Recently, I went to see a friend at the Emergency Room because she had Kidney complications and was denied as the Doctor said that a spouse or other family members could see her at this time but no one outside of that.  I was confused by this because I had no problem visiting other friends in the past.  I am not sure if it was strickly that hospital policy or is it in hospitals all around the country.  If it is a country-wide policy, do you guys know the reasoning behind this?

Subject: Re: Visiting rules at Hospitals

Written By: karen on 01/29/09 at 11:22 am

Probably the difference between visiting someone on a ward and in the emergency room.

In the UK there is no standard visiting rules - each hospital sets its own, even differing between wards depending on the nature of the care the patient requires.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/09 at 4:47 pm

Karen's probably right about the ER versus regular in-patient.

Visitation rights was one of the issues in the gay marriage argument.  In some places they only allow family and spouses.  This seems unfair in either case because if you've been with the same partner for 20 years but you're not married, why should you have any less of a right to see each other than if you've been married for three months?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/29/09 at 9:18 pm

I think it also depends on if the patient makes it known that they want to have whomever is in the waiting room back to see them or not.  But yes, mostly I think it is the difference between being an Emergency Room visit (where visitors unknowingly can get in the way of procedures (even if well intentioned.)  and hospital rooms where usually a two person visit is enforced.  Even I had problems visiting my own mom in the Intensive Care Unit, it was all up to the whim of whatever nursing staff was there at the time. 

I guess the medical personnel figure that visitors can not only bring stress but outside germs/colds/infections that can jeopardize the healing of their patients.  It's unbelievable how some families can't even let the fighting and bickering go even when their loved ones are in the hospital trying to recover. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/09 at 1:36 am

They told me, you can come in, but the stogie stays here, so I just sent mom a get well card.  Maybe sis can sneak mom her stogies.  They get real uptight about it on the respiratory unit, you see...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/09 at 7:23 am

They told me, you can come in, but the stogie stays here, so I just sent mom a get well card.  Maybe sis can sneak mom her stogies.  They get real uptight about it on the respiratory unit, you see...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Karma for making me laugh before I have totally woken up. ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/09 at 7:35 am

I can understand the policy.  The person probably needed rest and the hospital needs a way to limit the visitors and not be in a position of deciding who can or cannot visit.  The easiest way is to limit to family members.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/31/09 at 7:11 pm

Funny story.  I was in the E.R. and my friend came in to see me.  She's not considered family so I asked her how she managed to do it.  She told the nurses station she was my pastor. ;D  Don't worry I had no problem with her being there.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/31/09 at 9:45 pm

When I was with my ex b/f and had to take my daughter to the ER, they always asked if there was anyone they could let into the room.  I always gave his name--and he always came to keep us company.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/09 at 12:09 pm

I had an ex-significant other who got into a serious car accident. (He was NOT driving). He was totally out off it-drugged up and couldn't talk. He was in intensive care. When I got to the hospital, I practically INSISTED that they let me see him. I told them that his family was out in AZ and I was basically his only family he had in the area. They put me down as his fiancé. I said, "Ok, I will be his fiancé for the hospital." Of course I was on the phone almost every night with his mother & sister giving them an up-date. They were both grateful to have me there and would have known what to do if I hadn't done what I did.

Cat 

Check for new replies or respond here...