inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cable television vs Internet video

Written By: NbC on 02/25/09 at 5:53 am

Have you or would you consider giving up on traditional cable television in favor of online viewing?  I have decided against  signing up for cable television and I don't feel I ever will.  There are so many sites out there (both legal or otherwise) to get your viewing fix.  I watch only a handful of television shows regularly and all are available online.  (Heroes, CSI, Criminal Minds, Lost.....) Not to mention all the movies out there.  It is hard for me to justify the monthly cost of cable television when I really don't have the time (or the budget) to watch anyway.  Granted the video quality online is subpar but that isn't important to me.  I found before I used cable television more as background noise.  The television was on all the time but  half the time I was doing something else.  Now I am still doing something else but with the music playing instead.  So would you ever ditch cable?

Subject: Re: Cable television vs Internet video

Written By: karen on 02/25/09 at 7:11 am

When we moved out to the US we looked at getting cable tv, because most people here seemed to have at.  However we decided against it.  Occasionally I get annoyed at the crappy picture we get through the aerial (antenna) in the poor weather, so we are buying a new aerial this week.

We get DVDs through netflix and also watch stuff online through the netflix instant viewer.  The DVDs we get are a mix of films and television series - my daughter loves All Creatures Great and Small.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 7:38 am

I would have to say no. There's something about sitting at the computer trying to watch a movie/show...that just doesn't work for me. I just cannot get comfy/cozy sitting at the desk, watching something for a few hours. I get very restless!

We have Direct Tv, and are very satisfied with it over pricey cable costs. We also do Blockbuster Online and we rent cheap movies from Redbox as well. That's good enough for me.

Written By: Midas on 02/25/09 at 8:43 am

I would have to say no. There's something about sitting at the computer trying to watch a movie/show...that just doesn't work for me. I just cannot get comfy/cozy sitting at the desk, watching something for a few hours. I get very restless!

We have Direct Tv, and are very satisfied with it over pricey cable costs. We also do Blockbuster Online and we rent cheap movies from Redbox as well. That's good enough for me.

Agreed.  If tha intarwebs was hooked up to my TV, maybe I'd reconsider :D

We have DiSH Network and DVR FTW :D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/25/09 at 8:47 am

I don't pay for tv, and hopefully won't ever have to.  Now with the new digital tuners the picture is better and there are more stations, and honestly, how many do you really need.  I prefer to rent at the local video store, anything I can't get from them I get through Netflix

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 8:47 am

Agreed.  If tha intarwebs was hooked up to my TV, maybe I'd reconsider :D

We have DiSH Network and DVR FTW :D

I LOVE having DVR...it makes things SO much easier!

Written By: Dagwood on 02/25/09 at 9:47 am

DVR's rock.  I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of cable just to save money, but I can't see it happen unless something extreme happens in my financial situation.  Cable is budgeted in as my entertainment.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/09 at 10:51 am

We have the Dish Network because we couldn't get any tv with an antenna, but just the standard package, and mostly watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox, or else Antique Road Show when it's on PBS.  Netflix for the weekends.

Written By: Jessica on 02/25/09 at 11:41 am

I don't pay for tv, and hopefully won't ever have to.  Now with the new digital tuners the picture is better and there are more stations, and honestly, how many do you really need.  I prefer to rent at the local video store, anything I can't get from them I get through Netflix

Me too.  Can't afford cable/satellite, and even if I could, I wouldn't get it.  My parents have Dish Network, and when we visit, NOTHING is ever on, unless you like reality shows or reruns of crap. :P  We have the digital tuner, which helps a lot, but I usually get stuck watching my shows online because it cuts out on Fox a lot.

We also have Netflix, which is tons of fun because they have a tremendous selection of movies.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/09 at 11:53 am

We have the Dish Network because we couldn't get any tv with an antenna, but just the standard package, and mostly watch CNN, MSNBC and Fox, or else Antique Road Show when it's on PBS.  Netflix for the weekends.

Well, I do like watching HDTV when you are tired of news-which is almost NEVER.  :(  The problem with only 1 t.v. that is hooked up to the dish and 2 different tastes in shows.  ;)

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/25/09 at 7:33 pm

I do a little of both - watch cable TV and watch videos online with YouTube.

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/09 at 9:08 pm

No... I appreciate the accessibility of online viewing but its not as comfortable as kicking back and watching my big screen...

Plus no one can get me to give up my Directv!

Written By: NbC on 02/26/09 at 4:21 am

I still enjoy the comfort of my couch and watching on a big screen.  The computer has a dual monitor set up so it is easy to switch from one to the other. 

I realize it is hard to give up regular cable television.  It is just one of those great inventions that lets us escape from our everyday lives.  Maybe after another 6 months I might reconsider and sign up for cable after all.  Old habits are hard to break.  :)  Rediscovering books again is kind of nice also.  Never had time to read when I had the choice to watch TV. 

Written By: danootaandme on 02/26/09 at 6:10 am

Me too.  Can't afford cable/satellite, and even if I could, I wouldn't get it.  My parents have Dish Network, and when we visit, NOTHING is ever on, unless you like reality shows or reruns of crap. :P  We have the digital tuner, which helps a lot, but I usually get stuck watching my shows online because it cuts out on Fox a lot.

We also have Netflix, which is tons of fun because they have a tremendous selection of movies.

Sometimes I look at what I'd watch if i had cable, and I never see anything that I would pay for.  I really don't understand paying for nothing.

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/09 at 2:05 pm

To all you Dish Network people...... DIRECTV is so much better!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/09 at 5:32 pm

I subscribe to Netflix too.  I like the No Late Fees privilege.  However, I notice if I rent a movie because I think I SHOULD watch it but don't really WANT to watch it, the movie might sit on top of the TV for an entire week!  Never did finish watching "The Sorrow and the Pity"!
:P

I use TV as a numbing agent.  Internet video isn't as good for that purpose because it's not so passive.  However, the sheer inanity of TV programming does force me to turn to the Internet...
:-[

Written By: joeman on 03/23/09 at 10:17 am

Blockbuster nowadays are charging a movie late every day for a dollar to make up some profit.  I don't blame them though, since they are suffering through the economy.

I think internet tv, depending on where you watch, can be better.  Some sites, like Fox, post new episodes for people to watch.  Soon we might see the end of television if this type of availability gets big.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/23/09 at 10:36 am

To all you Dish Network people...... DIRECTV is so much better!

I beg to differ, my friend.

Cat

Written By: Tam on 03/23/09 at 10:49 am

Our televisions are supported by Time Warner Cable.
We have 2 DVR's.

I understand some people feel that TWC is way too expensive, however, for us it is the best pricing available. We have all the channels, plus sports package and Starz. We also bundle out High Speed Internet and our Home Phone and actually don't pay a whole heck of a lot for it. If we looked at having them from separate providers, it would be about $50 more than what we pay now.

I have to have my tv. Like NbC, throughout the day it is mostly background noise for me, but I have to have it. I have tried music in the background and it just doesn't have the same effect unless I really want to hear music at the time. And my DVR's are indispensable.

Written By: NbC on 03/23/09 at 10:52 am

I think internet tv, depending on where you watch, can be better.  Some sites, like Fox, post new episodes for people to watch.  Soon we might see the end of television if this type of availability gets big.

I am finding it more convenient each day actually.  Because I work such odd hours most of the shows I generally watch I would miss if I had regular cable television.  Now I just view what I am interested in when I have the time to watch them.  

Full seasons of television shows that are long gone are available online.  Which is really great!  

Written By: snozberries on 03/23/09 at 3:59 pm

I beg to differ, my friend.

Cat

It will have to be the one thing we truly disagree on.  Good thing I like you already... otherwise we'd be fighting over this  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/01/09 at 1:48 am

Since my computer is a slow, crappy piece of junk that takes like an hour to load a webpage, I will have to vote for Cable TV on this one lol

Subject: Cable television vs Internet video

Written By: Dude111 on 08/20/22 at 11:07 pm

When cable tv was ANALOGUE I would def say Cable but now Internet streaming is somewhat better.... (And both arent very good)

Written By: Howard on 08/21/22 at 3:22 am

I would have to go with Cable TV.

Written By: nally on 08/21/22 at 5:02 pm

I would have to go with Cable TV.

Ditto. Our provider (Spectrum) even has a DVR for us to record whatever programmes we want to see, so that we can watch them at a later time, and fast-forward through all the advertisments.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/22 at 5:27 pm

About 20 years ago, I told Carlos about this idea I had. I said, "Wouldn't that be cool to be able to watch whatever you want whenever you wanted instead of having to wait until channels decide that they will air them?" He said that it wouldn't work. MAN! I had the vision of the future but didn't cash in on it. I hate when that happens!

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...