inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why are women willing to settle or think that they can fix men?

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 1:35 pm

I heard on the radio yesterday that there was a poll of who women would most like to date.

#1 George Clooney

#2 Owen Wilson

George Clooney has said he will never get married.... so do women want to date him because they secretly hope they can be the one to get him to change his mind?

and Owen Wilson is troubled...so do they think they can save him?

What gives.....

for the record... guys picked

#1 Megan Fox
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YKPd1gUPBrw/SWwlL14c3jI/AAAAAAAACDs/hyKHGj0rmNw/s400/megan-fox-transformers.jpg
guess they like a woman who looks good fixing a car and will follow them into danger...she was in Transformers.

and

#2 was Tina Fey.... cause they also like a girl who makes them laugh....

Subject: Re: Why are women willing to settle or think that they can fix men?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 1:55 pm

I think that women want to date George Clooney because he is sexy as hell. 

As for Owen Wilson...I don't have a clue.  He does nothing for me.

I have always thought that women secretly think that they can fix a man just by being special.  It's such a fairy tale concept.  Is it Jerry Maguire where he says "You make me want to be a better person?"  Some cheesy movie anyway.  But it isn't that far from the truth.  Deep down, every woman wants to be so beautiful...so amazing...such a shining beacon of light and truth that the man she loves will give up all of his hang ups, commitment issues, and subscriptions to dirty magazines, all so that he spend the rest of his life worshipping the very ground she walks on.  Sadly, this never ever ever happens. 

I also think that women think that they can make a man happy, or sane, or stop drinking if they love him enough.  I know I thought this at one time in my life.  My ex was an alcoholic...and I thought if I just tried harder, if I could be more supportive, or a better girlfriend that he might not feel the urge to drink.  But I learned the hard way that love just isn't enough.  You can't fix anybody but yourself.

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:50 pm

I have always thought that women secretly think that they can fix a man just by being special.  It's such a fairy tale concept.  Is it Jerry Maguire where he says "You make me want to be a better person?"  Some cheesy movie anyway.  But it isn't that far from the truth.  Deep down, every woman wants to be so beautiful...so amazing...such a shining beacon of light and truth that the man she loves will give up all of his hang ups, commitment issues, and subscriptions to dirty magazines, all so that he spend the rest of his life worshipping the very ground she walks on.  Sadly, this never ever ever happens. 

I also think that women think that they can make a man happy, or sane, or stop drinking if they love him enough.  I know I thought this at one time in my life.  My ex was an alcoholic...and I thought if I just tried harder, if I could be more supportive, or a better girlfriend that he might not feel the urge to drink.  But I learned the hard way that love just isn't enough.  You can't fix anybody but yourself.

well said and hey Ash..... you complete me!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 2:52 pm

George Clooney is hot tho...  I wonder if the women just want to hit that and run or if they really think...they could be the one to get him to settle down.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 3:24 pm

George Clooney is hot tho...  I wonder if the women just want to hit that and run or if they really think...they could be the one to get him to settle down.

I would love to hit that and run.

Well maybe hit it five or six times...take a brisk walk around the block...and then hit it once or twice more.

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:27 pm

Well maybe hit it five or six times...take a brisk walk around the block...and then hit it once or twice more.

;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 3:35 pm

well said and hey Ash..... you complet ;De me!

Shut up Q!  You had me at hello!

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:46 pm

Shut up Q!  You had me at hello!

ha... my fingers got in the way of my post.... gotta fix it it bugs me!

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 3:46 pm

well said and hey Ash..... you complete me!  ;D

fixed

Written By: Dagwood on 03/05/09 at 3:47 pm

My sentiments exactly....George is damn fine and Owen....nah.  Owen has a penis nose and can't get past it. ;D

Sounds good to me.

Written By: Gis on 03/05/09 at 3:54 pm

See George Clooney, I can see what other people see in him but he doesn't do it for me.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 4:00 pm

see thing is the question was who do you want to "date" not have a one night or one really good weekend with?  I see dating as seeing someone long term.  the first thing George says to you is... we can date but I will never marry you- this will never be anything but what it is now... after the first really good weekend do you keep going back? and what if he says I'll date you but not only you...which is essentially what a non committal relationship is  so- are you now dating him (still) because he's George Clooney or because you think you can get him to change his mind about commitment?)

Written By: Tam on 03/05/09 at 4:03 pm

See George Clooney, I can see what other people see in him but he doesn't do it for me.  :-\\

I'm with you Gis!

And I agree whole heartedly with what Ash said. All of it!

"I love him! I love him for the man he wants to be. And I love him for the man he almost is."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/09 at 5:17 pm

Settling?  Well, if you don't settle for some man some time, you'll never have one.  Makes sense does it not?

Fixing?  Perhaps the biggest mistake women make with men.  The hunky drunk with the whipped puppy eyes?  He's looking for a mommy because he's still a boy, and not a man.  A man must teach himself to be a man and I've never seen a woman be able to do it.  Nothing against women, quite the contrary, it's not your responsibility to "fix" him.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/05/09 at 10:16 pm

see thing is the question was who do you want to "date" not have a one night or one really good weekend with?  I see dating as seeing someone long term.  the first thing George says to you is... we can date but I will never marry you- this will never be anything but what it is now... after the first really good weekend do you keep going back? and what if he says I'll date you but not only you...which is essentially what a non committal relationship is  so- are you now dating him (still) because he's George Clooney or because you think you can get him to change his mind about commitment?)

I see what you're saying.  If I wasn't married...I wouldn't have a problem with just dating someone long term.  I never thought I'd end up married anyway.  It just sort of happened for me.  But I would have happily lived with Steve forever.  There are a lot of women who wouldn't be able to handle an open ended relationship like the one that Mr. Clooney offers,  but I would be fine with it. 

Written By: snozberries on 03/05/09 at 10:41 pm

I see what you're saying.  If I wasn't married...I wouldn't have a problem with just dating someone long term.  I never thought I'd end up married anyway.  It just sort of happened for me.  But I would have happily lived with Steve forever.  There are a lot of women who wouldn't be able to handle an open ended relationship like the one that Mr. Clooney offers,  but I would be fine with it. 

I'd be fine with it too...but like Georgie boy... I'm not all that into commitment anyway!  ;)

Written By: Frank on 03/06/09 at 12:21 am

I heard on the radio yesterday that there was a poll of who women would most like to date.

#1 George Clooney

#2 Owen Wilson

George Clooney has said he will never get married.... so do women want to date him because they secretly hope they can be the one to get him to change his mind?

and Owen Wilson is troubled...so do they think they can save him?

What gives.....

for the record... guys picked

#1 Megan Fox
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YKPd1gUPBrw/SWwlL14c3jI/AAAAAAAACDs/hyKHGj0rmNw/s400/megan-fox-transformers.jpg
guess they like a woman who looks good fixing a car and will follow them into danger...she was in Transformers.

and

#2 was Tina Fey.... cause they also like a girl who makes them laugh....

I once read somewhere that

1. Women marry men excpecting the man to change, but he doesn't
2. Men marry women, expecting the woman to stay the same, but she doesn't

That's quite true in many cases

Written By: danootaandme on 03/06/09 at 6:03 am

One of the reasons I never married is because I wouldn't change, and the men I went out with always tried.  For some reason no matter what the attraction, they would all of the sudden start expecting a bit of June Cleaver to shine through. I have been in a relationship now for about 15 years and one of the reasons it has lasted so long is because we have our own houses.  We have our own lives.

Written By: gibbo on 03/06/09 at 6:18 am

You're on the right track ladies. If a man loves his woman as an equal partner then he will be willing to compromise and meet her half way...and that includes improving himself. Many times ...the more that is done for a man ..the more advantage is taken. We MUST fix ourselves!  A guy who continually makes the same mistakes will probably keep doing so....as long as his partner tolerates the bad behaviour.

If the behaviour is hurting his lady...and he loves his lady...he should choose to change that behaviour! If he won't even talk about trying to become better.......leave him!  How is the relationship going to grow?

Written By: Red Ant on 03/06/09 at 8:13 am

They key is not to look for a man you can "fix", but a man that will fix himself. That or lving with and accepting your partner's limitations.

signature banned as well

Written By: snozberries on 03/06/09 at 5:20 pm

I once read somewhere that

1. Women marry men excpecting the man to change, but he doesn't
2. Men marry women, expecting the woman to stay the same, but she doesn't

That's quite true in many cases

that is so true

Written By: snozberries on 03/06/09 at 5:23 pm

They key is not to look for a man you can "fix", but a man that will fix himself. That or lving with and accepting your partner's limitations.

signature banned as well

I like the last half of this... I'm pretty opposed to the concept of "fixing" people are what they are..you either accept them or you don't but there should be no 'fixing' growth maybe- but no fixing...

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/09 at 6:03 am

When a man marries he gets a wife, when a woman marries she gets some other womans child....

(said as I duck and run out ofthe door)    ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/07/09 at 11:13 am

When a man marries he gets a wife, when a woman marries she gets some other womans child....

BRILLIANT!

Written By: anabel on 03/08/09 at 8:04 pm

#1 George Clooney

Hey, you guys are talking about my husband!  :-*  The reason George says that is because he is secretly married to me.....  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/liefde.gif   

Written By: Step-chan on 03/08/09 at 10:30 pm

LOL... That's a pretty solid observation. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 03/09/09 at 1:06 am

I think the key is for Mothers to make boys do their own ironing, cleaning, making of beds, keep tidy room etc (and teach them to cook)....and they may have a chance of being suitable in a relationship. Otherwise they WILL let their 'new' mom do it all.......

Written By: mooster on 03/09/09 at 1:28 am

I got one that was well trained by his mum - he does more around the house than me  :-\\ :-[ :P

He also had a very good role model in his (now late) father  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/09/09 at 1:06 pm

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/applause.gif  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/09/09 at 3:15 pm

Hey, you guys are talking about my husband!  :-*  The reason George says that is because he is secretly married to me.....  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/liefde.gif     

yeah... you fit right in!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/09 at 7:49 pm

I guess the fix is in!
:-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/15/09 at 3:30 am

Depends on the person, but I think for alot of them it's probably a desire to rekindle the good times in the beginning - i.e. before the guy maybe became a jerk or showed his true colors. I'm pretty open minded, but I think people can only change so much. Of course there's some things I think are never excusable even once, like hitting a woman... but short of something extreme like that, most people deserve a second chance. At the same time though, not so many to where women will keep putting up with it and the dudes don't see any reason (in their minds) to stop or change. The girls need to be assertive to a point too.

See I think the basic part of someone's personality stays the same throughout their whole life (i.e. how their mind works or sees things). I've even heard psychiatrists say this, that our general personalities are pretty set by the time we're like 5-7 years old. What does and can change though, are your surroundings. So that can cause you to maybe think differently or see something from an angle you never did before.

What I'm trying to say is - the guys probably can change, but it doesn't necesarilly mean they will. They have to want to themselves and do something about it.

Another possibility (and I've seen this alot on talk shows or other things) is that some of them might be afraid to be alone, so they think "Yeah this guy is a jerk, but he's all I've got...I'll just live with it and hope he gets better". Or they probably think most guys are pigs to some extent, and just don't want to expend any energy into finding a better one (or simply ditching the loser and being by herself).

That's what upsets me the most when I hear stuff like this. I think everyone we meet influences us to a small extent in terms of "what everyone is like". It can have far reaching effects (good or bad). So like if a girl has a negative experience in one relationship, he might indirectly ruin her perception of all men in the future. So in a way if a guy mistreats his girlfriend/wife, it "victimizes" her and her loved ones beyond just the time he was with her.

Check for new replies or respond here...