inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Not to be rude, but....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/09 at 12:20 am

How many times have you heard someone start out a sentence by using these few words, and never really thought anything of it before? I'm sure we have all been guilty of uttering these words, before saying something that is INFACT rude about someone else. I wonder why we feel that it is necessary to warn the other person that a jab is about to be said about someone else....I mean, yes, it IS rude to say things about others, so that really does contradict things.

It would be better to say, "I am about to be really rude"...at least that would be truthful. :D

Subject: Re: Not to be rude, but....

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/20/09 at 12:42 am

How many times have you heard someone start out a sentence by using these few words, and never really thought anything of it before? I'm sure we have all been guilty of uttering these words, before saying something that is INFACT rude about someone else. I wonder why we feel that it is necessary to warn the other person that a jab is about to be said about someone else....I mean, yes, it IS rude to say things about others, so that really does contradict things.

It would be better to say, "I am about to be really rude"...at least that would be truthful. :D
good observstion Erin.  and there's  "No disrespect, but ...  and then proceeds with dig  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/20/09 at 2:51 am

I agree with you and Mike. My broyher-in-law is often starting a sentence with " Don't get me wrong, but...." It usually precedes some big family argument!  ::)

Written By: Paul on 03/20/09 at 8:09 am

Another variant...

'I'm not being funny, but...'

Written By: Tia on 03/20/09 at 8:11 am

"i don't mean to argue but..."

ever hear the jon stewart daily-show thing about "no disrespect"?

Written By: Midas on 03/20/09 at 9:06 am

Or, "This is going to sound rude..."  :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/09 at 9:48 am

Right when I saw the topic header, I was like "oh hell."  I had no idea what it was going to be about but I was thinking "it's probably going to be rude."  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/09 at 12:13 pm

"I don't want to hurt your feelings but..."

honestly... I thought we were going to be discussing Simon Cowell or something  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/09 at 12:18 pm

I almost typed this to Tam a minute ago and i think its pretty funny when people say it....

"It goes without say.....(and then they say it  ::) )"

Written By: Tam on 03/20/09 at 1:04 pm

I almost typed this to Tam a minute ago and i think its pretty funny when people say it....

"It goes without say.....(and then they say it  ::) )"

Too true! ;D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my life, I know of two people who never use these words towards me. They are straight forward and very direct when they are speaking - and admit rudeness when it happens.

My sister comes right out and tells me if I am being retarded or blind, or hypocritical. She has no tact. She just says it. I love her for it. (Although it has gotten her into a few scuffles here and there when she was growing up.)

Jess is very straight - and I love her for it too. Of anyone, I expect Jess to say "you are being an asshat!" 8)

Another saying that kills me is "I'm not trying to be facetious" - sure buddy - whatever you say! ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/20/09 at 2:00 pm

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kickass.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/20/09 at 2:22 pm

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think unicorns are kickass.

Unicorns ARE kickass. 

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/09 at 3:01 pm

not that its calling anyone out or anything but people always tell a story

Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. Long story short.....

I always say (in my head) too late.  ;D

Written By: Henk on 03/20/09 at 3:23 pm

Unicorns ARE kickass. 

Hey, not to burst your bubble or anything...

* POP! *

:\'(

Written By: Michael C. on 03/20/09 at 4:47 pm

.................."You're not going to believe this..."
I usually don't after that !!

quote author=Paul link=topic=36426.msg1940138#msg1940138 date=1237554560]
Another variant...

'I'm not being funny, but...'

Written By: anabel on 03/20/09 at 7:24 pm

I always brace myself when I hear one of those too.  Also:  "Don't take this the wrong way, BUT..." or my favorite: "Promise you won't get mad if I tell you this...."

Written By: snozberries on 03/20/09 at 7:39 pm

yeah and... "I hate to be the bearer of bad news but..."

Written By: coqueta83 on 03/20/09 at 7:56 pm

I've heard some people say "Someone's got to tell you this, so....."

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/09 at 8:55 pm

It really depends on what you are going to say with it cause it could be funny if it's someone you don't like ...

"Not to be rude, but if you knew just how ugly you really were, then you shouldn't be surprised that I am telling you this" :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/09 at 11:32 pm

Right when I saw the topic header, I was like "oh hell."  I had no idea what it was going to be about but I was thinking "it's probably going to be rude."   ;D

haahahah...did you think I was about to start some inthe00's drama?!! ;D :D

Written By: Red Ant on 03/21/09 at 12:17 am

"May I ask you a personal question?"

Oh boy, I brace for that one. Of course, if I ask it, and you answer in the affirmative, be prepared to hear anything, lol,.

Ant

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/21/09 at 2:38 am

Stop me if you've heard this before... (OK stop right there for I've heard it all)  ;D

Don't tell anyone I've told you this, but...

or a variant... I'm not supposed to say anything yet, but...  :-X

Written By: loki 13 on 03/21/09 at 8:06 am

along the same lines, when people end sentences with, "Just kidding."

"You're wearing that dress to the party, looks like you took it out of the trash. Nah, just kidding."

Somehow saying, just kidding, erases everything you just said.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/21/09 at 1:25 pm

haahahah...did you think I was about to start some inthe00's drama?!! ;D :D

In your defense, I didn't see that you had started the thread, so you're all in the clear!  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/21/09 at 1:25 pm

along the same lines, when people end sentences with, "Just kidding."

"You're wearing that dress to the party, looks like you took it out of the trash. Nah, just kidding."

Somehow saying, just kidding, erases everything you just said.

Ugh, that's the worst.  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/21/09 at 5:43 pm

I am guilty of:

You will never guess....

-or-

Care to guess...

:-[ :-[ :-[

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/21/09 at 5:51 pm

I am guilty of:

You will never guess....

-or-

Care to guess...

:-[ :-[ :-[

Cat

My mother always calls me and says "Guess who died..."  usually it's in reference to someone famous.  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/21/09 at 11:10 pm

I hate when someone says, "Are you sitting down?" ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 03/21/09 at 11:22 pm

I hate when someone says, "Are you sitting down?" ::)

ARE you?

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/09 at 2:11 am

One I hate is "Can I ask you a question?"  Usually when you are asked that, it means something bad or sarcastic is going to follow.  It's sort of a way to soften the blow I guess, but me, I like the hard punches.  If you're going to ask something, just ask it.  Don't ask if you can ask

Written By: loki 13 on 03/22/09 at 8:08 am

One I hate is "Can I ask you a question?"  Usually when you are asked that, it means something bad or sarcastic is going to follow.  It's sort of a way to soften the blow I guess, but me, I like the hard punches.  If you're going to ask something, just ask it.  Don't ask if you can ask

When someone says that to me I respond by saying, "You just did without my permission so why bother asking permission for another one?"
This usually leaves them scratching their head for a second and the puzzled look is amusing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/09 at 8:13 pm

When someone says that to me I respond by saying, "You just did without my permission so why bother asking permission for another one?"
This usually leaves them scratching their head for a second and the puzzled look is amusing.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say about "Can I ask you a question?"

My pet peeve is what somebody else already said, "Don't take this the wrong way..."

Of course, when your significant other says, "We need to talk..."
You know for sh*t sure it ain't gonna be a pleasant talk!

When the boss says, "Need a word with you..."
You can count on that word spoiling your day!

Back in the '30s and '40s people always said, "Say..." before they said anything.  Nowadays "So" seems to serve the same function.
"So, Bill, are you going to the concert or not?"
I catch my self preceding questions with "So" way too often!
::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/09 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say about "Can I ask you a question?"

Back in the '30s and '40s people always said, "Say..." before they said anything.  Nowadays "So" seems to serve the same function.
"So, Bill, are you going to the concert or not?"
I catch my self preceding questions with "So" way too often!
a person's attitude & facial expression does make a difference when they use the word 'so'  to precede their comment.

"So, Peter, what's happening? Aahh, now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon"?

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/09 at 8:39 pm

a person's attitude & facial expression does make a difference when they use the word 'so'  to precede their comment.

"So, Peter, what's happening? Aahh, now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon"?

Hey...I didn't appreciate your tone when asking me that question!  >:( ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/25/09 at 8:56 pm

DAY 1: Roger and the boss.

Saaaay, you got a minute, Roger?  Why don't we step out for a coffee...here, you take cream and sugar, right?  Right.  Yeeeah, so, Roger, you know I've always considered you a friend...and I hope you think of me as a friend....

DAY 2: Roger and the boss.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/greenchainsaw.gif

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/09 at 9:31 pm

Hey...I didn't appreciate your tone when asking me that question!  >:( ;)
"so Peter, is it just a coincidence that the Peter in my post from the movie Office Space has the last name Gibbons  now how weird is that?

DAY 1: Roger and the boss.

Saaaay, you got a minute, Roger?  Why don't we step out for a coffee...here, you take cream and sugar, right?  Right.  Yeeeah, so, Roger, you know I've always considered you a friend...and I hope you think of me as a friend....

DAY 2: Roger and the boss.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/greenchainsaw.gif
  ;D  always beware meetings that start with positive feedback because the NEGATIVE is soon to follow  ;)

Written By: gibbo on 03/25/09 at 9:49 pm

"so Peter, is it just a coincidence that the Peter in my post from the movie Office Space has the last name Gibbons   now how weird is that?
  ;D  always beware meetings that start with positive feedback because the NEGATIVE is soon to follow  ;)

Any other forum ..it would be weird. ...but not so much here!  ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/25/09 at 11:27 pm

Any other forum ..it would be weird. ...but not so much here!  ;)
so weirdness is pretty much routine here  ::)

Written By: greenjello74 on 04/16/09 at 7:41 pm

so weirdness is pretty much routine here  ::)

Yes , I have missed the weirdness
another rude thing id when someone tells you something and "says don't tell a soul."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/09 at 12:47 am

Yes , I have missed the weirdness
another rude thing id when someone tells you something and "says don't tell a soul."

Can you keep a secret? Well, can you can you can you?

OK, between you and me and the lamppost, Bob cheats on his wife, steals from work, and couldn't tell the truth if his live depended on it.  But that's just between you 'n' me...

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/09 at 2:04 pm

or... you didn't hear this from me but....

and .... if you tell anyone I told you this I will deny it  ;D

Guilty as charged!  ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/27/09 at 10:30 am

or... you didn't hear this from me but....

and .... if you tell anyone I told you this I will deny it  ;D

Guilty as charged!  ;)

Actually, those are some of my favorite things to hear!  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 05/04/09 at 8:58 pm

I was hit with this in work today and it made me chortle.

"I want to ask you something but you have to keep an open mind."

I find that when people tell you to keep an open mind they rarely have one themselves and this statement translates to:

"I want to ask you something but you have to see it my way or your wrong."

Written By: nally on 05/04/09 at 11:23 pm

Well, there have been times when I've wanted to ask a person a seemingly innocent question, but I've been afraid that they might take it the wrong way...so I can relate to the replies in this thread somewhat. I just try to be careful in how I ask it. Sometimes that requires pondering how I'm going to ask. And when I've actually popped the question, mostly the receiving end is cool with it.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/21/09 at 1:51 pm

If I'm about to be rude I start out with "no offense to anyone here who likes....."

For example I was writing a reason why I thought that Kris Allen should win American Idol over Adam Lambert and instead of saying something like "Kris Rox and Adam Sux!" I was honest and said "I think Kris is going to win.  He did a great job with Kara Dioguardi's song and hit the high notes perfectly"  Then I said "No offense to anyone here who likes Adam but I heard him hitting the sour notes and the judges gave him waayyy too much praise."

That's how I stop myself from offending people.  :)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/21/09 at 2:34 pm

I always brace myself when I hear one of those too.  Also:  "Don't take this the wrong way, BUT..." or my favorite: "Promise you won't get mad if I tell you this...."

Then they wonder why you suddenly become aggressive.  ::)  They know to expect a person to be mad or else they wouldn't use that opening line.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/09 at 10:24 pm

did I (or someone else) already post... "don't hate me for telling you this"  still, it bares/bears repeating 

honestly... my brain has forgotten simple english rules...  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/09 at 1:06 am

One I used to do around the office myself --

I didn't like gossipping and busybodies on principle, but I still couldn't resist the watercooler whispering, so I'd preface whatever I had to say with, "I shouldn't be gossipping, but..."
I realized I said that quite a bit!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/teufel.gif

Written By: Bobby on 09/18/11 at 9:21 am

Yes, we have that but usually it starts; "No offence but..."

It's a way of trying to say something direct to someone without wishing to take the flak for it. I usually tend to say; "I'm sorry for being honest but..." or "I've got to tell you...". Of course, these phrases go down like a lead balloon too but at least I'm prepared to take the consequences for them, lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/11 at 10:26 pm

...I'm only trying to help!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue4.gif

Written By: gibbo on 09/24/11 at 2:01 am

.... Don't get me wrong but, ....

Written By: Howard on 09/24/11 at 6:54 am

.... Don't get me wrong but, ....

But what?  ???

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/11 at 7:17 am

But what?   ???

gibbo is stating another term people use to avoid getting shouted at for being direct.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 9:06 pm

It's nothing personal...

Written By: Howard on 09/25/11 at 7:12 am

"I hate to inform you but"?....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 4:24 pm

It doesn't matter to me, but...

Written By: Bobby on 09/26/11 at 4:37 pm

I'm not being horrible but...

(a regular term I use, lol).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/11 at 10:23 pm

...Just a suggestion.

(usually following some subtle imperative such as, "Bathe more often...")

Written By: Howard on 09/27/11 at 6:40 am

" I hate to be the bearer of bad news but"...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/27/11 at 9:24 am

"Don't take this the wrong way, but..." (hubby's boss used this one on him yesterday, hubby actually said "oh, no, you're absolutely right, I DO...." Why can he admit to his boss that he's an ass sometimes, but never to me? ;))

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/11 at 12:29 pm

I shouldn't be telling you this but...

I am guilty of this one.  :-[

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/11 at 11:43 pm

...But that's neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
:-\\

Written By: gibbo on 09/28/11 at 1:04 am

You may as well just come out and say...." I'm now gonna say something that I think you will hate...and probably hurt you..."

Written By: Howard on 09/28/11 at 6:44 am

"I hate to tell you this but"...

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/29/11 at 9:55 am

There's always a BIG BUT(T)~ lol!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/11 at 11:25 am

But(t), that is behind me.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/29/11 at 1:15 pm

But(t), that is behind me.

Cat

Butt,Butt...  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/29/11 at 10:52 pm

Butt,Butt...  ;D

Stop that, it's fsilly.

Bb--6uyR9Iw

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/11 at 6:14 pm

Can I ask you a question...

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/01/11 at 9:57 pm

Can I ask you a question...

"You just did!"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/11 at 1:28 am

I'm being honest with you where others won't because I love you and I want good things for you --
You have B.O. and you need to lose a few pounds!

Written By: Howard on 10/02/11 at 6:48 am

"You just did!"

;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/18/11 at 3:15 pm

I'm being honest with you where others won't because I love you and I want good things for you --
You have B.O. and you need to lose a few pounds!

Hey now that was unsolicited advice!  >:( ;D :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/11 at 7:29 pm

I used to confuse people with this one at work ...

Me:  Did you hear what happened?
Them:  No, what happened
Me:  I don't know.  I was hoping you knew, cause it's caused quite a buzz in the building.

Check for new replies or respond here...