inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Clean Your House and Everything in It

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/15/09 at 12:32 pm

Do we have any neat freaks on the boards?  Care to share some cleaning tips or just want to gripe about cleaning?  How often do you clean the house?  Do you clean certain rooms on certain days, or do you let it all pile up and then attack it at once?  Let's discuss!

Subject: Re: Clean Your House and Everything in It

Written By: Red Ant on 04/15/09 at 2:01 pm

Ugh, housework.

I generally do yardwork first and get the outside looking as good as I can. I can clean house when it's raining (like now). Can't say the same for yardwork.

I pay more attention to the kitchen and bathrooms than anything else. Vac every three days when I'm home. My bedroom looks like a disaster area right now though - it's always the last thing I get to.

Keeping a house clean is twice as hard with smokers and a long haired cat.

I don't have room to let stuff pile up, especially laundry.

Deep housecleaning is something no one wants me to do - I will go through and chuck out any and everything that is covered in dust or that I didn't know existed because it's been buried under other stuff for six months.

A good tip for cleaning: never turn on a ceiling fan before you clean it. If you've just dusted, congratulations!: you get to do it all over again.

Ant

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/15/09 at 2:10 pm

I'm the opposite.  My bedroom is always clean.  I just have to vaccum and dust it once a week, but it never gets messy.  Probably because my closet is in my bathroom.  I know, that's weird.  At first I didn't like it, but it's actually pretty nice.  For the most part it's pretty self contained.  The hamper is in there, we get dressed in there, and everything just stays put. 

I clean the kitchen every day and generally pick up, wipe bathroom counters and stuff every day, but I sweep, mop, and do toilets and stuff once a week.  Usually on Fridays.  My kitchen table tends to get cluttered with mail and other papers, especially if we're gone a lot or I'm working a lot and don't have time to clear it off every day.  But it makes me insane if it gets that way.  I wouldn't call myself a neat freak...but I'm definitely tidy.

Written By: Gis on 04/15/09 at 2:42 pm

I'm the opposite.  My bedroom is always clean.  I just have to vaccum and dust it once a week, but it never gets messy.  Probably because my closet is in my bathroom.  I know, that's weird.  At first I didn't like it, but it's actually pretty nice.  For the most part it's pretty self contained.  The hamper is in there, we get dressed in there, and everything just stays put. 

I clean the kitchen every day and generally pick up, wipe bathroom counters and stuff every day, but I sweep, mop, and do toilets and stuff once a week.  Usually on Fridays.  My kitchen table tends to get cluttered with mail and other papers, especially if we're gone a lot or I'm working a lot and don't have time to clear it off every day.  But it makes me insane if it gets that way.  I wouldn't call myself a neat freak...but I'm definitely tidy.
Marry me and come and live in my house please!  ;D

I always say I am untidy but NOT dirty. (As Ash has shared a hotel room with me I'm sure she will attest to that!) I can't bear dirt and unclean. I keep my kitchen and bathroom clean and tidy, wiping round as I go but the rest of the house is not always so good. I tend to hoover when you can see bits on the carpet and dust when there is enough there to make it worthwhile.  ;D 

Written By: Midas on 04/15/09 at 3:24 pm

The house I live in now is generally tidy and organized.  If it weren't for the shedding dog it would look like I lived in a fishbowl.  I vacuum 2-3 times a week on average.  The other stuff doesn't get messed up as much so it's once every 1-2 weeks.

Jessica & Rice Cube have seen how I live.  I think I vacuumed my ghettofab bachelor pad before they arrived.  The guy I lived with when I met Jessica kept everything immaculate; it was kinda nice. :)

Written By: Henk on 04/15/09 at 3:32 pm

What's this thing "cleaning" you speak of...?

Let's put it this way: I'm not a clean freak. I don't have a cleaning schedule - I just do what's necessary when necessary (usually Saturdays every once in a while). Exceptions are laundry (at least three to four times a week) and ironing (I'm a shirt-and-tie man, so I do this about once a week).
In my defence: I live alone, so I'm the only one who gets annoyed by the amount of dust covering the book shelves. ;) And yes: it does annoy me at times.

I live in a rather small apartment, so I am trying to keep it free from clutter. I make sure you can always sit on my sofas and there's plenty of room on the coffee table.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/09 at 5:22 pm

I am VERY messy.  :-[  Yes, I am Oscar Madison to Carlos' Felix Unger. But, I am not disgusting. I can handle trash (which is about everywhere-well, not really trash just clutter) but I HATE garbage. That is actually Carlos' job-to take out the garbage which he doesn't do as often as I would like him to. I feel like I can't complain about it because I have my clutter EVERYWHERE!!! The vacuuming is done every 2 weeks or so as well as the bathroom being cleaned, kitchen floor mopped, & stove scrubbed.

My jobs:
-Dishes
-Laundry
-Catboxes  8-P

Carlos' jobs:
-Cooking
-Garbage
-Lawn/Shovel snow.

Everything else:

Confession time. I pay someone. 

Cat

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/15/09 at 6:29 pm

I've been a clean freak all my life. I would kill to have all the time and energy i've waisted cleaning,scrubbing and yelling at roomates and family for being too messy. You make yourself sick that way.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/15/09 at 7:41 pm

I am a highly organized individual.  I cannot concentrate if things are messy.  I LOVE to clean!  My house is generally spotless.  I find myself cleaning something every day now that I'm not working, but generally, I'd do what my family calls the "white tornado" clean only on the weekends.

"Never leave a room empty-handed" is a great motto to live by, as you find it easier to keep up with clutter.  :)

Written By: gibbo on 04/15/09 at 8:48 pm

I am a highly organized individual.  I cannot concentrate if things are messy.  I LOVE to clean!  My house is generally spotless.  I find myself cleaning something every day now that I'm not working, but generally, I'd do what my family calls the "white tornado" clean only on the weekends.

"Never leave a room empty-handed" is a great motto to live by, as you find it easier to keep up with clutter.  :)

The cleptomaniac creed..... ;D

Written By: anabel on 04/15/09 at 9:09 pm

I hate to admit, I'm the same way.  One of my first jobs was as a Leasing Agent at an apartment complex, and my first task every morning was to walk over to the model apts and turn on the lights, open all the blinds, make sure it was all perfect and sunny insde, and plug in those little scented crock pots so that the rooms all smelled like fresh baked cookies or pies. I got so used to seeing perfect apartments all the time, that I just started doing the same things in my own home and I never have to worry about anyone stopping by.  My friends call me the "Glade Lady" like the silly woman in the commercial who's house always smells so good.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/15/09 at 10:35 pm

The cleptomaniac creed..... ;D

That's probably why no one invites me to their home  ;D

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 1:26 am

I'm just like you..except I don't love to clean, I just want things clean. I am also a highly organized person, which is sometimes not good.

Written By: karen on 04/16/09 at 8:05 am

So, all those of you that love to clean, or love a tidy house, were you born that way do you think?  Did you live in a tidy house and think that's the way things should be or is it a reaction against your childhood home?

I hate housework, mainly because I'm never conviced I'm doing things right - using the correct method/products.  I wish I had taken more notice of what my mum was doing or offered to do stuff for her.  When I got married I realised I'd never cleaned a bathroom before  :-[

I'm also essentially a lazy person and just put stuff down anywhere when I've finished using it - a habit everyone in this house has.  That means the house quickly gets overrun with paperwork, toys and clothing not where they should be.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/16/09 at 9:15 am

House cleaning, only if I'm really bored or my Mom is coming over.  Every once in a while I get a shot of cleaning adrenaline however I'm far from being a neat freak.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/09 at 11:10 am

So, all those of you that love to clean, or love a tidy house, were you born that way do you think?  Did you live in a tidy house and think that's the way things should be or is it a reaction against your childhood home?

I hate housework, mainly because I'm never conviced I'm doing things right - using the correct method/products.  I wish I had taken more notice of what my mum was doing or offered to do stuff for her.  When I got married I realised I'd never cleaned a bathroom before  :-[

I'm also essentially a lazy person and just put stuff down anywhere when I've finished using it - a habit everyone in this house has.  That means the house quickly gets overrun with paperwork, toys and clothing not where they should be.

My mom was clean, but my dad is messy.  Me and one sister are clean, but two sisters are messy.  I tend to put everything away as soon as I'm done with it.  I don't even think about it.  Of course my house gets cluttered sometimes - it's only natural.  But I am pretty good about cleaning up as I go.  I have one sister though, that just boggles my mind.  I am over at her house a lot, and sometimes I will go pick her kids up for various things while she is at work.  You can always tell where she has been because there is a trail.  She will leave her make up all over the bathroom, her hair dryer on the floor, her clothes everywhere.  I don't even know if she has a hamper.  It just kills me.  I can't fathom leaving a mess like that or coming home to it at night.  To me, it makes so much more sense to put things away as you get them out.  Like, if you put something away right when you're done with it, then you're done.  You don't have to do things twice.  Why make things more difficult for yourself than they need to be? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/09 at 11:41 am

I hate housework, mainly because I'm never conviced I'm doing things right - using the correct method/products.  I wish I had taken more notice of what my mum was doing or offered to do stuff for her.  When I got married I realised I'd never cleaned a bathroom before  :-NOT like this:

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/090125kp.jpg

or this:

http://persistentillusion.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/clutter-flickr-flickr-rickr.jpg

Yeah, there is clutter but you can maneuver from one room to another. We don't have sh!t piled high were you can barely walk. But I really do need to get off my ass and declutter the place.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/16/09 at 12:02 pm

I am far from a neat freak.  I do what is necessary, but I have clutter that I need to go through and get rid of.  I would love a spotless house, but I hate housework.

Written By: karen on 04/16/09 at 12:24 pm

My mom was clean, but my dad is messy.  Me and one sister are clean, but two sisters are messy.  I tend to put everything away as soon as I'm done with it.  I don't even think about it.  Of course my house gets cluttered sometimes - it's only natural.  But I am pretty good about cleaning up as I go.  I have one sister though, that just boggles my mind.  I am over at her house a lot, and sometimes I will go pick her kids up for various things while she is at work.  You can always tell where she has been because there is a trail.  She will leave her make up all over the bathroom, her hair dryer on the floor, her clothes everywhere.  I don't even know if she has a hamper.  It just kills me.  I can't fathom leaving a mess like that or coming home to it at night.  To me, it makes so much more sense to put things away as you get them out.  Like, if you put something away right when you're done with it, then you're done.  You don't have to do things twice.  Why make things more difficult for yourself than they need to be?   

We might be related.  :-[

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/09 at 12:27 pm

We might be related.  :-[

;D  You can have her! 

Written By: Frank on 04/16/09 at 12:31 pm

Don't think I was born that way, but my mom kept a clean house, so I imagine I picked it up from her.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/09 at 5:49 pm

You sound exactly like me. Unfortunately, I got my cleaning habits (or lack of) from my mother. I remember growing up, never really seeing her clean-it was always us kids who did the cleaning. The thing is, my sisters houses are so neat and clean & mine is very messy. It has that "lived in" look to it. But at least I am NOT like this:

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/090125kp.jpg

or this:

http://persistentillusion.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/clutter-flickr-flickr-rickr.jpg

Yeah, there is clutter but you can maneuver from one room to another. We don't have sh!t piled high were you can barely walk. But I really do need to get off my ass and declutter the place.  :-[

Cat

That kitchen is NASTY, but that second pic is almost what my bedroom looks like.  Boxes piled everywhere, even on my bed, to the point where I sleep on my couch.  I've been meaning to clean it, but I've been seriously forgetting for the last 5 years ;D

Written By: anabel on 04/16/09 at 6:24 pm

I know that part of the reason I am the way I am is because when I was young, like 8 and 9 years old, I became a latchkey kid-I could walk home from school, get in with a key, and my Mom trusted me to clean the kitchen, living room, do the dishes and vacuum before she got home at 5pm.  That way she could just cook dinner.  She would be tired from work, and a long commute, so if I didn't do it, it didn't get done.  Plus I got the best allowance of all my friends since I did it, so "cha-ching"!  ;) (Mind you, this was YEARS ago-in the late 70's, so my parents didn't abandon me, that's just the way it was done where we lived. :) )

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/16/09 at 6:27 pm

That kitchen is NASTY, but that second pic is almost what my bedroom looks like.  Boxes piled everywhere, even on my bed, to the point where I sleep on my couch.  I've been meaning to clean it, but I've been seriously forgetting for the last 5 years ;D

Yeah, that first one was a bit over the top. Unfortunately, I knew someone who's house was close to that.  8-P  There was always a smell of garbage in the kitchen (not to mention the roaches). To this day, when I smell over-ripe bananas it just takes me right back to that house. The house was falling down around them and it was packed with so much sh!t you wouldn't believe. I was staying there for a short period of time when I was a teen and I was so disgusted with the kitchen floor that I got on my hands & knees and scrubbed it.  8-P 8-P  I'm sure in it's heyday the house probably had a lot of character because it was a Victorian townhouse. Unfortunately, it was in the heart of the slums in Poughkeepsie, NY. I guess they finally decided to tear down all those old houses and these people had to move out. I heard about when they finally hauled out the house-they got a BIG dumpter. After 30 years & 11 people living in it, you can imagine.  :o :o :o  I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

Cat

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/09 at 6:57 pm

I'm not quite like Danny Tanner or anything lol, but yeah I like to keep things fairly clean. I go crazy if my stuff is in disarray for too long - it's easy to get lazy with little things in incriments (i.e. if you come in after a long day and just throw some papers on a table) but over time I break down and just throw out stuff I don't want, and organize the rest.

Ironically my stuff is very organized, but it's still hard to keep it uncluttered, just because I have quite a bit.

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/16/09 at 7:02 pm

Clean freaks are crazy people who are trying to compensate the clutter in their own lives.

I just made that up but sounds right,doesn't it?  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/16/09 at 7:07 pm

^Dr Phil would say something like that.;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 04/16/09 at 7:50 pm

I try to keep my home neat and clean as much as possible. I'll admit I do have some clutter, but it does get straightened up.

Written By: NbC on 04/16/09 at 10:24 pm

To me, it makes so much more sense to put things away as you get them out.  Like, if you put something away right when you're done with it, then you're done.  You don't have to do things twice.  Why make things more difficult for yourself than they need to be?   

That is how I feel.  I clean up after myself as I go.  It makes more sense.  Nothing will pile up and you can actually find things when you need them.  My daughter is finally catching on. Finally.  She still needs motivation though. 

I am not a neat freak but I do not like clutter and disorder.  I can not relax if the place isn't straightened out.I don't have a cleaning schedule but I do clean up something everyday.  I do have to sweep the floor everyday since I have birds and a dog I have to pick up after.  I vacuum a couple times a week and clean the bathroom when needed. 

Written By: Gis on 04/17/09 at 3:52 am

oh dear I hope I didn't drive you too mad in the hotel room, you managed to resist clearing up my piles of stuff anyway!  :-[  ;D

I always maintain I was back of the queue when they handed out the cleaning gene in my family. My brother is a total Mr Mop, always tidying and cleaning and so is my sister, I'm more relaxed about it. My Mum is very houseproud but I remember she had this habit of moving everything around as well. I lost count of the number of times you'd come home from school and the kitchen cupboards were all changed over so you couldn't find a cup without openning them all ! My sister does that as well, strange pair.
I am a hoarder but my Dad is too so I must get it from him! 

Actually Himself has been a good influence on me because he is very untidy and keeps everything and it drives me mad so I am a lot more ruthless now......not that you could tell when you see all the stuff in our house!  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 04/17/09 at 8:47 am

What's this thing "cleaning" you speak of...?

Let's put it this way: I'm not a clean freak. I don't have a cleaning schedule - I just do what's necessary when necessary (usually Saturdays every once in a while). Exceptions are laundry (at least three to four times a week) and ironing (I'm a shirt-and-tie man, so I do this about once a week).
In my defence: I live alone, so I'm the only one who gets annoyed by the amount of dust covering the book shelves. ;) And yes: it does annoy me at times.

I live in a rather small apartment, so I am trying to keep it free from clutter. I make sure you can always sit on my sofas and there's plenty of room on the coffee table.

That was cute, Henk!

Want to come over and do my ironing?  I don't have to worry about dress shirts and ties, so I take my work clothes out of the laundry damp and hang them in the closet in the living room (it's bigger than the one in my bedroom, which is full) to dry on hangers.  I do laundry 1-2 times a week depending on if I need a particular pair of pants or whatever later in the week or if I know I'm going to be gone.

I'm like you in a lot of respects.  I don't have a set schedule (mostly because my testing duties have increased by double and tend to interfere with any Saturday plans I might have) for cleaning, but try not to let things go too long.  For instance, I might clean my bathroom on a Tuesday one week but a Friday the next.  Like you, I live alone so it doesn't get bad very quickly.  Sometimes I have gone closer to 2 weeks, especially if I haven't been hom e much.  My bathroom is about the size of a walk-in closet so it doesn't take long to clean, I just don't like doing it.  I try to dust and vacuum every week, but again, due to scheduling, the day it gets done varies.

If I know I'm going over to visit my parents for a weekend, then I will do the cleaning and laundry before I go so I don't have to deal with it when I get back (because it is usually a day of cleaning their house, so the last thing I want to do when returning is clean my own).

My bedroom isn't TOO bad, but it isn't great either.  I have a stack of puzzle books on the desk (neatly stacked) and my dresser is pretty clear, but I do have an area of the floor behind the door where I have stacks of papers and folders with stuff I need easy access to...Micah's financial aid documents, tax stuff, etc.  Now that I've paid my taxes I can put it in a folder and file it away, but will keep the Financial Aid folder where it is because then I always know where it is when I need it and don't have to go to the storage unit to get it.  I've been slowly de-cluttering my apt for a while.  I think I'm making progress, but it seems too early to tell.  My project this summer is to go through my storage unit and get rid of stuff in there.  My goal is to get rid of enough that the remaining boxes/cartons will fit neatly in my living room closet (I can close the closet doors)--but that means there can't be very many of them left.  ::)

Written By: seamermar on 04/17/09 at 3:37 pm

I am far from a neat freak.  I do what is necessary, but I have clutter that I need to go through and get rid of.  I would love a spotless house, but I hate housework.

To iron wrinkled shirts gets me out of my wits.
Sometimes I make a crease where it don't need.

Written By: Henk on 04/17/09 at 3:58 pm

Yeah, that first one was a bit over the top. Unfortunately, I knew someone who's house was close to that.  8-P  There was always a smell of garbage in the kitchen (not to mention the roaches). To this day, when I smell over-ripe bananas it just takes me right back to that house. The house was falling down around them and it was packed with so much sh!t you wouldn't believe. I was staying there for a short period of time when I was a teen and I was so disgusted with the kitchen floor that I got on my hands & knees and scrubbed it.  8-P 8-P  I'm sure in it's heyday the house probably had a lot of character because it was a Victorian townhouse. Unfortunately, it was in the heart of the slums in Poughkeepsie, NY. I guess they finally decided to tear down all those old houses and these people had to move out. I heard about when they finally hauled out the house-they got a BIG dumpter. After 30 years & 11 people living in it, you can imagine.  :o :o :o  I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

Cat

This story reminds me of my sister, her husband and their three kids...

Like I said: I'm not a clean/neat freak, but you can't even sit on a chair there without having to rearrange the living room. Well, "living room" - that would imply there's some kind of room, right?  ;D  It really boggles my mind how anyone can live in those circumstances. There's stacks and piles of clutter everywhere! You can hardly open the front door...

Did I mention they also have three cats?

Written By: seamermar on 04/17/09 at 4:06 pm

and ironing (I'm a shirt-and-tie man, so I do this about once a week).

Well Henk, I guess I could take from you some lessons of driving the iron along my wrinkled trousers  ;)

I didn't find out why the iron sometimes glues and sometimes not ::)

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/17/09 at 4:08 pm

I am VERY messy.  :-[  Yes, I am Oscar Madison to Carlos' Felix Unger. But, I am not disgusting. I can handle trash (which is about everywhere-well, not really trash just clutter) but I HATE garbage. That is actually Carlos' job-to take out the garbage which he doesn't do as often as I would like him to. I feel like I can't complain about it because I have my clutter EVERYWHERE!!! The vacuuming is done every 2 weeks or so as well as the bathroom being cleaned, kitchen floor mopped, & stove scrubbed.

My jobs:
-Dishes
-Laundry
-Catboxes  8-P

Carlos' jobs:
-Cooking
-Garbage
-Lawn/Shovel snow.

Everything else:

Confession time. I pay someone. 

Cat

That is exactly what goes on at my house!  Only difference is my husband does his own laundry.  If I have to clean a room from top to bottom it turns into a redecorating project that can last for weeks and then the room is updise down for weeks, unless I don't run out of time and that sometimes happens.  I respect and admire really organised people and strive everyday to be more like them.

Written By: seamermar on 04/17/09 at 4:09 pm

That was cute, Henk!

Want to come over and do my ironing? 

Can I join the "Henk's ironing-line" ?  ::)

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/17/09 at 4:10 pm

That is exactly what goes on at my house!  Only difference is my husband does his own laundry.  If I have to clean a room from top to bottom it turns into a redecorating project that can last for weeks and then the room is updise down for weeks, unless I don't run out of time and that sometimes happens.  I respect and admire really organised people and strive everyday to be more like them.

For pure self preservation, I have only a tiny garbage in the house that has to be emptied into the bigger one outside every day.  And we have dogs so it is covered and hidden in a cupboard.

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/17/09 at 4:13 pm

I recently bought an I-robot Roomba vacuum, you know the kind that goes around on it's own and vacuums, anyway, my fantasy was that there would never be dog hair balls anywhere because I would run it while I wasn't home.  It has no suction.  So I am taking it back and I bought a Dyson Animal.  I should mention that my housekeeper broke her ankle just before Christmas and things got pretty bad.  Pretty bad.

Written By: Henk on 04/17/09 at 4:21 pm

Can I join the "Henk's ironing-line" ?  ::)

I never said anything about me liking ironing. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/09 at 4:26 pm

I recently bought an I-robot Roomba vacuum, you know the kind that goes around on it's own and vacuums, anyway, my fantasy was that there would never be dog hair balls anywhere because I would run it while I wasn't home.  It has no suction.  So I am taking it back and I bought a Dyson Animal.  I should mention that my housekeeper broke her ankle just before Christmas and things got pretty bad.  Pretty bad.

You need to look for another housekeeper. I am one cleaning person #4. The first one a friend recommended her to us. She did ok in terms of cleaning but I didn't like her as a person. The second I LOVED but she had to quit for health reasons (which she never did specify to us). The 3rd was a company which there were 2 teams. One team I liked as people but they didn't clean very well, and the other team...well they didn't clean very well & I didn't care too much for them as people. And they broke our vacuum and never told us-this was right after we got it fixed. They used our cleaning materials-which they would go through paper towels like crazy. They didn't have to pay for them so why should they care? We had enough of them. Then we have our cleaning person now. She is GREAT. Not only does she clean, she also takes care of the cats when we go out of town. She also painted our kitchen last year when we were on vacation. Hopefully, next month she is going to paint our dinning room. Of course that is incentive for me to declutter it.  :D ;D ;D ;D

I never said anything about me liking ironing. :P

What is this ironing you keep talking about?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/17/09 at 4:52 pm

You need to look for another housekeeper. I am one cleaning person #4. The first one a friend recommended her to us. She did ok in terms of cleaning but I didn't like her as a person. The second I LOVED but she had to quit for health reasons (which she never did specify to us). The 3rd was a company which there were 2 teams. One team I liked as people but they didn't clean very well, and the other team...well they didn't clean very well & I didn't care too much for them as people. And they broke our vacuum and never told us-this was right after we got it fixed. They used our cleaning materials-which they would go through paper towels like crazy. They didn't have to pay for them so why should they care? We had enough of them. Then we have our cleaning person now. She is GREAT. Not only does she clean, she also takes care of the cats when we go out of town. She also painted our kitchen last year when we were on vacation. Hopefully, next month she is going to paint our dinning room. Of course that is incentive for me to declutter it.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Painting!  Sweet!  I've gone through several myself, it seems they all have something they don't do as well as I like, the one I have now that broke her ankle has been the best so far by far.  Hence my decision to wit until she gets back up and running.  She uses all her own products and equipment, and is lighteneing fast, I pay by the hour so that is important.  I also have the dogs to consider, i have a good friend and neighbour who tells me how long my dogs are outside while the Cleaner is at the house and in the past it has been too long.  Jeffrey barks, LuLu freezes.  A good housekeeper is a gem to be sure.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/09 at 5:21 pm

Painting!  Sweet!  I've gone through several myself, it seems they all have something they don't do as well as I like, the one I have now that broke her ankle has been the best so far by far.  Hence my decision to wit until she gets back up and running.  She uses all her own products and equipment, and is lighteneing fast, I pay by the hour so that is important.  I also have the dogs to consider, i have a good friend and neighbour who tells me how long my dogs are outside while the Cleaner is at the house and in the past it has been too long.  Jeffrey barks, LuLu freezes.  A good housekeeper is a gem to be sure.

How long will she be out of commission? Maybe you can use one for just a short period of time until the one you like is back of her feet-literally.

Cat

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/17/09 at 5:30 pm

How long will she be out of commission? Maybe you can use one for just a short period of time until the one you like is back of her feet-literally.

Cat

Tried that, no one wnated to do it on a temp basis with the dogs and everything.  I live in a small town so resources aren't the greatest....

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/09 at 6:42 pm

oh dear I hope I didn't drive you too mad in the hotel room, you managed to resist clearing up my piles of stuff anyway!  :-least bit annoyed with you!   :-*

And for the record, my house is kind of messy right now.  I've had people staying for the past three weekends, including a baby last night, which completely messed me up!  I don't know how people with kids keep a clean house.  There is NO time.  My 16 year old nephew and his friend are here now so it makes no sense to really clean until they leave tomorrow. 

Written By: karen on 04/18/09 at 6:53 pm

I don't know how people with kids keep a clean house.  There is NO time.   

Can you tell my husband!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/09 at 7:18 pm

Can you tell my husband!

Sure!  I still have your #, I'd be happy to call him.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/18/09 at 7:20 pm

Can you tell my husband!

Or every man on the planet.

My friend has a 2 year old making it hard to keep a spotless house, and her husband gripes.  One day she and I left the baby with him while we did something grownup.  When she got home, he told her he would have cleaned but it was impossible with the baby around.  She told him that was how she felt.  His response?  It's different with women, they are supposed to be able to do both at once. ::) Men are clueless, aren't they?

Written By: Gis on 04/19/09 at 4:54 am

My friend has a 2 year old making it hard to keep a spotless house, and her husband gripes.  One day she and I left the baby with him while we did something grownup.  When she got home, he told her he would have cleaned but it was impossible with the baby around.  She told him that was how she felt.  His response?  It's different with women, they are supposed to be able to do both at once. ::) Men are clueless, aren't they?
My sister in law did the same thing with my brother when my nephew was a new baby. Luckily for her in his case the lesson was learned and he was a lot more helpful.

Written By: Midas on 04/19/09 at 1:57 pm

I resemble that remark! :P

Okay, I may not have children yet, but I have a shedmaster dog that I clean after constantly. :D  I could probably clean with children around.

I've been up for four hours and so far I've managed to vacuum the house, do 2.5 loads of laundry, do all the dishes and take out all the trash.  8)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/19/09 at 3:28 pm

:P  ;)  :-*

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/20/09 at 10:11 pm

Seems like as good a place as any to post this:

The Cult of Done.

With a link to the awesome high-resolution Rubik's Cube version of the Manifesto, which now hangs over my workbench.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/23/09 at 10:48 pm

The Cult of Done.

With a link to the awesome high-resolution Rubik's Cube version of the Manifesto, which now hangs over my workbench.

Works for me.

Written By: barefootrobin on 04/24/09 at 10:53 am

The Cult of Done.

Very cool!

Written By: seamermar on 05/04/09 at 9:48 am

I don't know how people with kids keep a clean house.  There is NO time.  My 16 year old nephew and his friend are here now so it makes no sense to really clean until they leave tomorrow. 

Try arming them with a broom and a vacuum and get them play stars-war as cleaning floors and furnitures up.  ;)
and be careful my dear, they may wash up to the little scrap of Ash
;) :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/04/09 at 10:46 am

Try arming them with a broom and a vacuum and get them play stars-war as cleaning floors and furnitures up.  ;)
and be careful my dear, they may wash up to the little scrap of Ash
;) :D

??? :)

Written By: Jessica on 05/04/09 at 11:02 am

Jessica & Rice Cube have seen how I live.  I think I vacuumed my ghettofab bachelor pad before they arrived.  The guy I lived with when I met Jessica kept everything immaculate; it was kinda nice. :)

Shyeah.  Bunch of clean freaks. :D

I don't know how people with kids keep a clean house.  There is NO time. 

During the week, I try to keep everything just tidy.  On the weekends (lately), I have Rice entertain the boy while I do heavy cleaning, like scrubbing the tubs, cleaning the counters, etc.  I only have to do laundry once a week, so I get off easy in that department.  No, it doesn't pile up, we usually only have two or three loads, but I see no point in constantly washing during the week.

If Rice would have ever told me anything like that, I'd drag his ass to divorce court. ;D

Okay, I may not have children yet, but I have a shedmaster dog that I clean after constantly. :D  I could probably clean with children around.

I've been up for four hours and so far I've managed to vacuum the house, do 2.5 loads of laundry, do all the dishes and take out all the trash.   8)

I'm going to loan you Jason for a week.  Get back to me with your opinions after that. ;)

Written By: barefootrobin on 05/04/09 at 11:05 am

I bought the i-robot vacuum.  When I leave in the morning, it vacuums the upper floor of my house.  In THEORY.  I cam hom eon the weekend to find that it had got hung up on something and the battery died while it beeped for help.  I started it this am and I hope when I go home it has done it's job.  Or it's OUT!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/09 at 11:14 am

I saw this show the other day called Clean House. http://www.mystyle.com/mystyle/shows/cleanhouse/index.jsp

I have to say, it made me feel good because I can say that my house isn't THAT bad!!!!

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/04/09 at 7:20 pm

I saw this show the other day called Clean House. http://www.mystyle.com/mystyle/shows/cleanhouse/index.jsp

I have to say, it made me feel good because I can say that my house isn't THAT bad!!!!

Cat

I love Clean House.  It makes me feel better about my clutter, too. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/12 at 1:25 pm

Since there is a conversation going on in the monthly thread in the PPP, I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread up. Maybe people have encouraging words to motivate people to help them declutter (like me  :-[ ).

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/16/12 at 5:06 pm

Awesome that you bumped this thread, Cat.  :)

I have been decluttering my dad's house since New Years.  I cleaned out his office...which was from HELL!  I also cleaned out a spare bedroom that he has been wanting to convert into an art studio.  (He is an amazing oil painter.)  Next up is the back closet/pantry.  It also has a lot of pots and pans and stuff.  Ugh. 

ANYWAY, when I did his office, I threw about half the stuff that was in there away.  Then I created files for everything else.  He has a little 2 drawer filing cabinet, and I loaded it up.  I have files for everything you can think of.  lol.  But he loves it, and is actually using them.  I also got some small baskets, and put all of his notebooks and calculators in one, misc stuff in another, and his gazillion pairs of reading glasses in another one.  They REALLY help with the clutter.  Lastly, I got some stacking files to go on the desk for current bills, phone books, and stuff he accesses regularly.  Having a place to put everything is half the battle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/12 at 5:56 pm

Awesome that you bumped this thread, Cat.  :)

I have been decluttering my dad's house since New Years.  I cleaned out his office...which was from HELL!  I also cleaned out a spare bedroom that he has been wanting to convert into an art studio.  (He is an amazing oil painter.)  Next up is the back closet/pantry.  It also has a lot of pots and pans and stuff.  Ugh. 

ANYWAY, when I did his office, I threw about half the stuff that was in there away.  Then I created files for everything else.  He has a little 2 drawer filing cabinet, and I loaded it up.  I have files for everything you can think of.  lol.  But he loves it, and is actually using them.  I also got some small baskets, and put all of his notebooks and calculators in one, misc stuff in another, and his gazillion pairs of reading glasses in another one.  They REALLY help with the clutter.  Lastly, I got some stacking files to go on the desk for current bills, phone books, and stuff he accesses regularly.  Having a place to put everything is half the battle.

You wouldn't happen to have some before/after shots would you?

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 01/16/12 at 6:13 pm

yeah cool bump

slowly kind of deciding what to keep and what not for me.  Ijust redid some ncklaces and am going to ee if my mom wants the rest of the beads and stuff.  Were using what use to be John's room s a family room so some of that kind of stuff can go in their anyway.  Some time I'll gt to preping and a little paint touching up.  It has looked like I've had a couple of ! on my wall for some time.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 6:39 am

I'm trying to declutter my closet that has boxes of memorabilia, wrestling video tapes and magazines. I'm also trying to update my wardrobe by getting rid of shirts that don't fit me or I don't like the color.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/17/12 at 3:44 pm

You wouldn't happen to have some before/after shots would you?

Cat

No, and I keep kicking myself for not taking any!  :-[

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/12 at 5:05 pm

I have a small room that I refer to as "the coin vault." That is where I keep my coins as well as photos & other personal mementos. After years, of collecting stuff (and a lot of times I just put stuff in), it has become basically unusable. I tried to reorganize but just couldn't. I finally have a solution. To just completely empty the room and start over. That way, I can put things back in in an organized manner. (Not to mention the fact that I am going to get a file cabinet to help with the organization.

That was how I got my dinning room done. Everything was moved out so the floor could be redone. So I was starting with an empty canvas. Unfortunately, a lot of the clutter that was moved from the dinning room ended up in the spare bedroom.  :-\\  I have yet to get into the spare bedroom to take care of it because now it is being used by my SIL.

Cat 

Written By: wildcard on 01/17/12 at 5:22 pm

getting rid of what I have is basically what I'm doing, I forget what I have and forget to look. 

Written By: Howard on 01/17/12 at 7:45 pm

I've had my brother's big room for 23 years and it seems a bit cluttered sometimes trying to find where to put things and buying those plastic boxes seems to help.

Check for new replies or respond here...