inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Shrinks

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/16/09 at 6:54 pm

Have you ever went to the loonie doc? Want to share?

I've just recently got a new psychiatrist who keeps quiet through the all session. I love talking about myself but must be pretty boring 'cause i'm suspicious he's sleeping with his eyes open.
My last one was great, he would ask me stuff and point out ways to solve problems. I miss him :(

Subject: Re: Shrinks

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/16/09 at 7:18 pm

I've just recently got a new psychiatrist who keeps quiet through the all session. I love talking about myself but must be pretty boring 'cause i'm suspicious he's sleeping with his eyes open.
My last one was great, he would ask me stuff and point out ways to solve problems. I miss him :(
too bad the former one is gone and why can't you see him anymore? did you ever fantasize about him during session?  I did with my former favorite therapist, but only slightly and I saw her by myself and currently we are seeing one now and she's wonderful. me & Lady Di see her together and sometimes Julie goes too, it's been very helpful. I don't fantasize about the current one at all  :)  I like her because she's very insightful, I don't wanna just sit there and blab, I want her to help us figure things out and how to make things better and she's darn good at it plus she assigns me homework because i tend to forget stuff  :D  she's very objective and does not take Diane's side because she's a woman. actually, it seems like she's taken my side more, said "he's cute & sweet"    ;D  Diane mentioned that one time that if she only knew me better  ::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/16/09 at 7:28 pm

He moved to São Paulo, my doctor did too :\'( And no i never had sweaty dreams about being nailed on his couch :P

It's great you and Di are doing that, i think all couples should try it once 8)

Written By: Jessica on 04/16/09 at 7:48 pm

How funny that you bring this up.  I just started seeing a psychologist a few weeks ago.  I like her.  She lets me talk about my issues, but will interject when she thinks I'm being too vague about something or am unnecessarily putting myself down.  It seems to be helping, but I know that it will take many many more sessions before I'm better.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/16/09 at 7:51 pm

He moved to São Paulo, my doctor did too :\'( And no i never had sweaty dreams about being nailed on his couch :P

It's great you and Di are doing that, i think all couples should try it once 8)

;D  made me laugh and think of a scene from the movie The Breakfast Club.

How funny that you bring this up.  I just started seeing a psychologist a few weeks ago.  I like her.  She lets me talk about my issues, but will interject when she thinks I'm being too vague about something or am unnecessarily putting myself down.  It seems to be helping, but I know that it will take many many more sessions before I'm better.
that's great Jess. I'm a firm believer in therapy and medication  8)

Written By: Midas on 04/16/09 at 10:26 pm

If they work for you, more power to you. :)

I've been to a handful - one when my parents divorced, one at age 17 when I was depressed (I think that one helped),  three before, during and after my 1st marriage ended due to anger and depression issues.  I don't recall much of the 1st one of that lot, the 2nd one I went to with my ex-wife and the dude Dr. Phil'd me and made it seem like *I* was the only one with issues, and by the third one I was on anti-depressant medication and the help seemed kinda one-sided; most sessions I psychoanalyzed myself.

For me, those experiences taught me that only I can help myself.  I'm fine and I don't need to pay someone to tell me/listen to what may be wrong with me.  :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/17/09 at 1:29 am

I've been to a handful - one when my parents divorced, one at age 17 when I was depressed (I think that one helped),  three before, during and after my 1st marriage ended due to anger and depression issues.  I don't recall much of the 1st one of that lot, the 2nd one I went to with my ex-wife and the dude Dr. Phil'd me and made it seem like *I* was the only one with issues, and by the third one I was on anti-depressant medication and the help seemed kinda one-sided; most sessions I psychoanalyzed myself.

For me, those experiences taught me that only I can help myself.  I'm fine and I don't need to pay someone to tell me/listen to what may be wrong with me.  :D
you're a mess. you need help!  :D

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/17/09 at 6:52 pm

I'm so happy for you :) From my experience it can make one hell of a difference.

All my life i was very judgemental about people who did mental therapy, it seemed to me like a rich folks past time,people with no real problems only a ton of money to spend, too many Woody Allen flicks :D

When i first started seeing a therapist i hated it but with time and a lot of patience, it helped. I hope this new one turns out helpful too.

One thing i never could stand was group therapy, maybe i'm mean but i can't stand 70 year old ladies talking about weight gain and their lack of sex lives.

Written By: Midas on 04/17/09 at 8:03 pm

you're a mess. you need help!   :D

;D  I feel pretty sedated at the moment without drugs or therapy. ;D

All my life i was very judgemental about people who did mental therapy, it seemed to me like a rich folks past time,people with no real problems only a ton of money to spend, too many Woody Allen flicks :D

When i first started seeing a therapist i hated it but with time and a lot of patience, it helped. I hope this new one turns out helpful too.

One thing i never could stand was group therapy, maybe i'm mean but i can't stand 70 year old ladies talking about weight gain and their lack of sex lives.

Why would you be associated with that kinda group therapy? ???

Anyway, I'm not judgmental about people that go to counseling/therapy etc or use anti-depressant medication.  If it works for you, great! :)  At the time in my life when I was experiencing that scene, it didn't seem to help much.  I started out on Wellbutrin.  It was like speed.  I couldn't sleep and I was very high-strung.  Then I was switched to Lexapro.  On that I was in a better mood, but I didn't care about ANYTHING and was very lethargic.  Then they had me take a combination of the two.  That didn't work out so I weaned myself off the medication, and I've never felt better. 8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 04/17/09 at 10:35 pm

;D  I feel pretty sedated at the moment without drugs or therapy. ;D

you need to pass that around then  8)

Written By: Frank on 04/18/09 at 1:21 am

He's just listening to what you have to say and observing you, trying to pinpoint a potential root problem. He ain't sleeping. (I'm not a shrink but I've taken several counselling courses before and have been a teens counsellor for a few years. The number one thing the profs told us is to listen/observe.).

I have also spoken to a shrink before regarding some issues, but for myself it wasn't very helpful. The response I kept getting was that I wasn't in touch with my feelings.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/09 at 12:38 am

"Anybody who sees a psychiatrist oughta have his head examined."

--Archie Bunker.

Nowadays the psychiatrists dispense the pills and the psychotherapists do the rapping.  I know, I've been through mill time and again!
::)

Written By: thereshegoes on 04/21/09 at 5:12 pm

He's just listening to what you have to say and observing you, trying to pinpoint a potential root problem. He ain't sleeping. (I'm not a shrink but I've taken several counselling courses before and have been a teens counsellor for a few years. The number one thing the profs told us is to listen/observe.).

I have also spoken to a shrink before regarding some issues, but for myself it wasn't very helpful. The response I kept getting was that I wasn't in touch with my feelings.

He spoken today: "So what do you think that means? ". Now how the hell do i answer that? :-\\

I think i rather have him quiet.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/21/09 at 5:22 pm

He spoken today: "So what do you think that means? ". Now how the hell do i answer that? :-\\

Tell him "I don't know, that's why I pay you"

Doctors can be a piece of work, can't they.  When I was pregnant the first time I was 18, alone and scared out of my mind.  The doctor confirmed it then sat down and asked "How did this happen?"  I don't know, you judgemental piece of crap, you're the doctor you figure it out. ::)  Yeah, I never went back.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/21/09 at 5:29 pm

I've seen a few.  I had one tell me I needed to be medicated or I'd be a homicidal maniac of course I was 15 then. ::)  I quite seeing shrinks over 6 years ago, stopped doing the meds too.  As a result I've become a functioning individual and I'm happy.  I think I got to the point of where I decided people may think they have my best interest at heart but only I know what is in my best interest.

Written By: Davester on 04/23/09 at 3:43 am

I've seen a few.  I had one tell me I needed to be medicated or I'd be a homicidal maniac of course I was 15 then. ::)  I quite seeing shrinks over 6 years ago, stopped doing the meds too.  As a result I've become a functioning individual and I'm happy.  I think I got to the point of where I decided people may think they have my best interest at heart but only I know what is in my best interest.

Homicidal maniac at 15...you must've been fun on dates...

OT, I've seen no therapists or counsellors...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/23/09 at 2:04 pm

Homicidal maniac at 15...you must've been fun on dates...

OT, I've seen no therapists or counsellors...

The shrink was known for scaring the crap out of parents and medicating kids.  I was kind of fun on dates when I wasn't in a stupor.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/09 at 7:16 pm

The shrink was known for scaring the crap out of parents and medicating kids.  I was kind of fun on dates when I wasn't in a stupor.

One time they gave me Thorazine in the hospital.  It was h.s. and a subtherapeutic dose, but even then, the next day, maaaaan, talk about a stupor!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/sabber2.gif

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/25/09 at 9:06 pm

One time they gave me Thorazine in the hospital.  It was h.s. and a subtherapeutic dose, but even then, the next day, maaaaan, talk about a stupor!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/sabber2.gif

Any amount of Thorazine can cause someone to do the "Thorazine Shuffle".  Some of the older anti-psychotics should have been deemed a form of torture.  Stelazine really messed me up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/28/09 at 1:20 am

Any amount of Thorazine can cause someone to do the "Thorazine Shuffle".  Some of the older anti-psychotics should have been deemed a form of torture.  Stelazine really messed me up.

I've seen the Thorazine Shuffle. It's one sorry sight....especially when a patient's kept that way day after day. 

F**K!  I thought they took Stelezine off the market!
:o

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/28/09 at 5:35 am

I've seen the Thorazine Shuffle. It's one sorry sight....especially when a patient's kept that way day after day. 

F**K!  I thought they took Stelezine off the market!
:o

Yeah it's pretty much a catatonic reaction.  I was on it before they took it off the market, then they made me a Clozeril lab rat.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/29/09 at 6:32 pm

When I was an undergrad (single mom) student at Ferris, someone suggested I go to the Counseling Center.  I did, ended up seeing the guy who would eventually run the place.  No medication prescribed, just needed someone outside to talk to about feeling overwhelmed by classes, being a single mom, being broke, etc.  I cried, he listened, I never went back although I knew that if I needed to talk, he would listen.

While many have bad experiences, I still believe in the fundamental principle.  However, I will be the first one to tell you that if the one Micah was forced to see when she was hospitalized in Grand Rapids (she couldn't walk--there WAS a physical reason) ever approaches or contacts her, I will personally take him down.  My daughter loves football and playing football.....on what planet does that mean she has gender identity issues??  She is boy crazy, but not a girly girl.  She wore football pads for boys' football and a cheerleading skirt for boys' basketball.  Really, dude?  ???

Just like any profession...has its good ones and its bad ones.

Written By: Tia on 04/29/09 at 7:16 pm

i've always wanted to see a female football league. which i guess is neither here nor there.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/09 at 10:13 am

When I was a teen, we had to go to "family counseling" which my sisters & I kind of took as a joke. I remember one sister sitting there literally twiddling her thumbs, looking away as if she wasn't listening or could care less. I was trying not to laugh at her antics. (To this day, she STILL cracks me up.) Yeah, we did all need help but at that time, we didn't KNOW we needed help-we thought we were all there because of our mother-who was the one who needed help, not us. In fact, that was shortly after my mother spent some time in the hospital-yes, THAT kind of hospital. She had a break-down.

There was a time when I probably needed a shrink but I basically counseled myself. I kept a journal that I wrote in EVERYDAY. I looked at myself VERY honestly-well as honestly as one can look at herself, and tried to figured out WHY do I do this? Or Why am I like this? Can I change? etc, etc. After doing this for well over 6 years (yes, I lived alone during that time), I think I emerged somewhat sane. I probably know myself better than most people know themselves. This was the time when Carlos & I were finally "hooking up" and when I moved in here with him, I didn't carry TOO much extra baggage-some but not as much as I would have if I didn't keep that journal.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/09 at 4:23 pm

I think it can go either extreme with most people (I've never seen one, btw)... really being helpful and nice, or making the situation even worse.

In one respect it's kinda ironic to go to someone you don't even know to help you solve a problem. Normally people who already know your personality can gauge how you feel in a certain situation better or why something is bothering you. Then again, sometimes it's actually EASIER to tell a stranger or an acquaintance so mething rather than someone you love (especially if they're PART of the problem). ;)

Whether someone is a doctor or not, just in general I think the best person is someone who listens alot, offers advice and a little constructive criticism, but is nonjudgemental - and like asks YOU about things too, like what might've made you feel a certain way.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 04/30/09 at 4:34 pm

I think it can go either extreme with most people (I've never seen one, btw)... really being helpful and nice, or making the situation even worse.

In one respect it's kinda ironic to go to someone you don't even know to help you solve a problem. Normally people who already know your personality can gauge how you feel in a certain situation better or why something is bothering you. Then again, sometimes it's actually EASIER to tell a stranger or an acquaintance so mething rather than someone you love (especially if they're PART of the problem). ;)

Whether someone is a doctor or not, just in general I think the best person is someone who listens alot, offers advice and a little constructive criticism, but is nonjudgemental - and like asks YOU about things too, like what might've made you feel a certain way.

I can see your point about it being kind of weird to go to someone you don't know about your problems.  However I think there is a difference between seeing a therapist and seeing a psychiatrist.  Mental illness is an actual illness therefore sometimes a Psychiatrist must be involved.  Note they are either M.D. or D.O certified.  If metal illness was only about having someone "listen to you" things such as depression wouldn't be as life altering as it is.  On the other hand if you seen more than one in order to help with a certain mental illness it's common to have a tired run of the mill mentality about it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/30/09 at 4:39 pm

I can see your point about it being kind of weird to go to someone you don't know about your problems.  However I think there is a difference between seeing a therapist and seeing a psychiatrist.  Mental illness is an actual illness therefore sometimes a Psychiatrist must be involved.  Note they are either M.D. or D.O certified.  If metal illness was only about having someone "listen to you" things such as depression wouldn't be as life altering as it is.  On the other hand if you seen more than one in order to help with a certain mental illness it's common to have a tired run of the mill mentality about it.

That's true, I never quite thought of it that way - I admit sometimes I lump therapists and psychiatrists together, but you're probably right. Some things require medication or there's probably situations laymen wouldn't understand or know how to treat.

Written By: Davester on 05/01/09 at 12:01 am

That's true, I never quite thought of it that way - I admit sometimes I lump therapists and psychiatrists together, but you're probably right. Some things require medication or there's probably situations laymen wouldn't understand or know how to treat.

Stop lumping stuff together, McFly...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/01/09 at 9:29 am

Stop lumping stuff together, McFly...

I have to think what mental illness lumping things together is associated with.  Could be anything from bipolar to autism. :o

Written By: statsqueen on 05/02/09 at 9:23 am

i've always wanted to see a female football league. which i guess is neither here nor there.

There are several teams in the Women's Professional Football League.  Micah wanted to try out for the Minnesota team when she turned 18 (didn't happen, college in MI did)

Written By: anabel on 05/02/09 at 7:59 pm

This would probably be a dream come true for you then  ;)

The Lingerie Bowl League

http://www.lingeriebowl.com/

It's not a joke, you may have heard of it, but this year was interesting because the game was cancelled because there was a fight over where to hold the game. It was supposed to be held at a nudist resort here in the Tampa area on Super Bowl weekend, but instead there was no game at all.  Maybe next year they'll play again.

Sorry this post had nothing to do with Shrinks!  :-\\

Written By: Frank on 05/03/09 at 1:33 am

This would probably be a dream come true for you then  ;)

The Lingerie Bowl League

http://www.lingeriebowl.com/

It's not a joke, you may have heard of it, but this year was interesting because the game was cancelled because there was a fight over where to hold the game. It was supposed to be held at a nudist resort here in the Tampa area on Super Bowl weekend, but instead there was no game at all.  Maybe next year they'll play again.

Sorry this post had nothing to do with Shrinks!  :-\\

except for the severe shrinkage in clothing ( nudist colony)

Check for new replies or respond here...