inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No More Pension/Medical Benefits...

Written By: Davester on 06/09/09 at 6:31 am

Negotiations Re-negotiations for the new union contract are all but done.  We rejected the company's first draft because of two things:

1.  Six individuals in the whole plant would recieve 5% raises over the three years of the contract - 5 electricians and the fire marshal while the rest of us recieve 1.75% the first year, 1.75% the second and 2% the third.  To me, no biggie...

2.  My main gripe - all new hires as of June 1st, 2009 will recieve NO pension or medical benefits if/when they retire.  Instead the company proposes to raise their base pay 2% in order to compensate and, of course, they can still make use of the 401k...

Needless to say, nobody wants to strike over it.  In-house pensions are going the way of the dinosaurs.  If we keep it in this contract, we'll probably lose it the next.  Or the next.  It's an endless battle.  The company has stated they want out of the health and welfare business...

The young people are taking it in the shorts.  Sorry guys.  Spend your money wisely and save for your retirement now.  You get nothing from the company from here on out...

Subject: Re: No More Pension/Medical Benefits...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 06/09/09 at 11:05 am

So true.  Not only are pensions the way of the wind, but so is Social Security.  Our parents and grandparents have it made.  We are completely screwed.  My husband and I lost almost 1/3 of our 401k when the stock market took it's nose dive, and that's all we have.  I hope it comes back up, and we're trying to contribute more to it, but the dollar only goes so far, you know? 

Maybe I shouldn't try to exercise and eat right.  I might not want to live past 60!    :o

Subject: Re: No More Pension/Medical Benefits...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/09 at 8:30 am

The American worker devalues him/herself and it is sad.  We spend more time looking at other peoples jobs complaining about what they get while our own benefits are slashed.  The notion of union, workers people banding together, strikes, are seen as anti american. Meanwhile "American" companies are shipping jobs everywhere exploiting poor people in other countries.  There are so many issues around this it makes me sick.  But the issues won't be resolved until we figure out that as American workers we deserve a level of respect, and compensation, for the work we do and our contribution to what makes this a great country.

Check for new replies or respond here...