inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Pet" Python Kills Toddler

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/09 at 4:58 am

www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE56067K20090701

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida toddler was strangled on Wednesday by a 12-foot (3.6-meter) albino Burmese python that escaped from a holding tank in the girl's home, authorities said.

The pet's owner, a boyfriend of the child's mother, found the python on top of the 2-year-old girl in the rural community of Oxford, about 50 miles northwest of Orlando.

Anyone who owns a wild animal, or a "domesticated" animal(like pit bulls),  that have been shown to be of erratic temperament, and puts children in a situation where they are exposed to these animals is an idiot.  It drives me crazy when these yahoos say "but this one is different" or "we love them so much we just have to have one around"  "they are like a member of the family" .  Idiocy!  Wild animals are just that, and I think should be left so.  "Domesticated" animals that have been bred with an eye towards fighting will snap, and I don't want to hear the "well I have one and it never...."  Well you got freaking lucky.  I know a few people who had "one that never..." until that one time.  It is one thing to expose oneself to the threat, but a child!  Idiots!

Subject: Re: "Pet" Python Kills Toddler

Written By: nally on 07/02/09 at 12:16 pm

I heard about this on the news last night. I agree; people should not own pythons as pets; they are not fit to be pets. Only domesticated animals should be kept in households.

It is one thing to expose oneself to the threat, but a child!  Idiots!

So true! 8-P

Written By: Red Ant on 07/02/09 at 2:45 pm

Such a tragedy for the little girl.

I would expect to see criminal charges filed against the boyfriend. No permit and an insufficient enclosure for the snake.

A lot of people don't understand the requirements for a snake of this type. They live a LONG time and can grow in excess of 20ft, especially in captivity. Years ago, I had the priveledge of meeting Jim Martin at the Luray Reptile Zoo. He had many exotic animals, including a reticulated python named Cleo. She had grown to 22', was as big around as a telephone pole, and weighed an estimated 400lbs. It took five grown men to move her out of her enclosure, which was almost half the size of my house. An animal like that isn't a pet, it's a lifelong commitmant. 

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/09 at 4:05 pm

An animal like that isn't a pet, it's a lifelong commitmant. 

Ant

My point is that it isn't a pet, and it isn't a lifelong commitment, it is a wild animal and should not be personal property.  People should leave the friggin' things alone, and where they belong, in the wild.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/09 at 8:18 pm

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=7986040&page=1

"Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby!"

-- Charles Darnell of Oxford, Florida, age 32, owner of 9-foot python

Why are there morons like this in the world?  What is it with people who want to keep dangerous wild animals in their homes and pretend they are pets?  

Darnell said the Burmese python was 12 feet long on the 911 call, but later said the snake was 8' 8".  Either way, a python that size could kill a grown man in 10 minutes, never mind a 2-year-old girl.  His girlfriend, Ashley Hare, 23, was dumb enough to let her child live in that home with that snake.  For Christ's sake, I wouldn't live in the same house with that animal no matter how secure you told me its enclosure was.  

Then the dude calls the snake "stupid."  Yeah, the snake is a giant reptile with a tiny brain.  She follows her instincts because that's all she's got.  We don't expect snakes to use reason.  We do expect it from adult humans, however, and these assclowns need to be brought up on charges.  Perhaps it is punishment enough for the two of them to have to live with what happened to that child because of their negligence.  Still, no matter how heartbroken they are, they need to pay the penalty.

Burmese pythons and other great snakes have established themselves in Florida's subtropical habitat because dopes like Darnell who aren't qualified to care for a gecko think it's cool to have them as pets.  Then they release the snake into swamps when they can't control it, or the thing escapes.  A Burmese python in the wild can get big enough to kill a full-grown alligator.  Think about it.  
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/snake.gif

Coincidentally, last night the Cartoon Channel showed the episode of "King of the Hill" in which Lucky gives Bobby a Burmese python as a present.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/09 at 10:02 pm

They ought to wrap that Burmese python around that guy's stupid 'nards and then tell it to squeeze.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/03/09 at 8:53 am

That poor baby.

I think snakes are cool, heck we had a snake party for my daughters 11th birthday.  They brought a 10 foot python.  I wouldn't want one as a pet, though.  This type of thing is the reason. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/09 at 1:45 pm

That poor baby.

I think snakes are cool, heck we had a snake party for my daughters 11th birthday.  They brought a 10 foot python.  I wouldn't want one as a pet, though.  This type of thing is the reason. 

I'm terribly phobic of all snakes, even little harmless ones!  You'd have to give me a Valium the size of a hockey puck to go to that party!  Even so, when you call hire-a-snake, it's all done under professional supervision.  That character had no business owning that snake.  Apparently, he was not even licensed to have it...and I doubt he could have gotten one.
::)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/04/09 at 8:12 pm

That poor little girl...such a horrifying tragedy!!  :\'(

I never want to go anywhere near a snake....even at the zoo!  8-P

Written By: Dagwood on 07/04/09 at 8:20 pm

I'm terribly phobic of all snakes, even little harmless ones!  You'd have to give me a Valium the size of a hockey puck to go to that party!  Even so, when you call hire-a-snake, it's all done under professional supervision.  That character had no business owning that snake.  Apparently, he was not even licensed to have it...and I doubt he could have gotten one.
::)

You wouldn't want to play with Peaches, the albino python.  Bubbles the 13 footer was the party fave, though.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/dagnyr/064-1.jpg

I have had lots of people tell me I was insane for the party. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/09 at 10:30 pm

You wouldn't want to play with Peaches, the albino python.  Bubbles the 13 footer was the party fave, though.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk172/dagnyr/064-1.jpg

I have had lots of people tell me I was insane for the party. ;D

No thank you, ma'am, all the more fun for you!

Nice to have something around your neck that could kill you inside of five minutes!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...