inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: South Park gag "provokes" attacks

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/09 at 7:55 pm

So while watching CBS shows last night I saw a promo for a news story that a cartoon was to blame for an attack of an 11 or 12 yr old boy.  Several students hit and kicked the boy because he has red hair. Its unknown if they got the idea directly from South Park or from the facebook groups that popped up after the "attack a ginger day" episode of South Park.

http://cbs2.com/video  
There are two video clips
in the search bar type  (cartoon to blame for attack on boy with red hair)  or (boy allegedly attacked for his red hair)

While searching for this clip I found this story about a similar attack in Vancouver.

http://www.newser.com/story/43461/kids-attack-redheads-on-kick-a-ginger-day.html

South park has had some raunchy and highly offensive episodes some of them funny some not.... but I don't think they should be held accountable for the attacks... I hate blaming media for people's stupidity- I mean at 12 I was smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong but I wonder.... what the hell is the world coming to?  

Subject: Re: South Park gag "provokes" attacks

Written By: gibbo on 11/23/09 at 8:17 pm

^ Agree ...of course the tv show cannot be to balme. The individuals are old enough to know better. Unfortunately, being a cool show, it made it socially cool to bash redheads. Pretty soon we won't be able to joke about anything because ALL of the responsibility is put back on the creators off tv shows, music etc.  The individuals should be held accountable and they (and their parents) are responsible for their own behaviour!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/23/09 at 9:26 pm

Let me start by saying I hate South Park and refuse to watch it.  That being said, it can't be blamed for what happened.  These kids would have done this kind of thing regardless.  Too many people these days look for something to blame rather than put the blame where it belongs, on the person that committed the crime.  It's called personal responsibility.

Written By: Red Ant on 11/23/09 at 10:14 pm

This has been going on longer than South Park or Facebook. Parents need to stop looking for someone or something to blame but for themselves for having crappy kids.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 11/23/09 at 11:23 pm

This has been going on longer than South Park or Facebook. Parents need to stop looking for someone or something to blame but for themselves for having crappy kids.

Ant

This, definetly this.

Written By: Silver Power on 11/24/09 at 8:57 pm

In all fairness, the red heads were asking for it.  ;D

Seriously, though. I don't think it matters whether a kid of that age saw something on TV or heard it in music... Ultimately, it's the child's own decision, and if their twisted minds thought that it was fine to attack a red head, that's on them. They made the final decision, not their televisions.

Written By: Frank on 11/25/09 at 12:31 am

I can;t watch Southpark either, not fond of it. I do watch family guy ( probably shouldn't..I'm guessing I'm the only one at my Church who does)

Beatles "Helter Skelter" is kinda related to the Manson family and the Tate LaBianca murders.

Beatles were evil I tells ya...Songs like "All you need is love"  "She loves you" and other songs like that are fronts for evil and gang attacks and murders.

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/09 at 12:49 am

I can;t watch Southpark either, not fond of it. I do watch family guy ( probably shouldn't..I'm guessing I'm the only one at my Church who does)

Beatles "Helter Skelter" is kinda related to the Manson family and the Tate LaBianca murders.

Beatles were evil I tells ya...Songs like "All you need is love"  "She loves you" and other songs like that are fronts for evil and gang attacks and murders.

and that John Lennon with his Give Peace a Chance.... scary stuff!

Written By: Frank on 11/25/09 at 1:00 am

and that John Lennon with his Give Peace a Chance.... scary stuff!

I just listened to "All you need is love" and "Give peace a chance". Think I am going out to destroy and burn villages now. :D

Written By: Silver Power on 11/25/09 at 11:04 am

..I thought johnny5alive said that rap music was a front for evil and gang attacks and murder. ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 2:58 am

If you use "South Park" as a role model for anything, you're a retard.  Period.  Don't care how old you are.  It's not Parker and Stone's fault that kid's a dumbass.  BUT...any excuse will do for the killjoys to rein in those pesky First Amendment rights.
::)

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/10 at 5:03 pm

The campaign was started on Facebook called 'Kick a ginger day'.

I actually have dvd box sets of South Park series 1 to 12 and I know the episode is in one of those, let me check...

...Yep, the episode referred to is Ginger Kids in Series 9

"Ginger Kids": Cartman suffers from a mysterious and sudden onset of the disease Gingervitis. Sick and tired of being ridiculed because he now has read hair, light skin and freckles, he rallies all ginger kids everywhere to fight against discrimination and rise up and become the master race they are intended to be.

From what I remember, the episode itself was not neccessarily insulting to ginger kids, it was mainly an attack on Cartman for being narrow-minded and anti-ginger. Stan and Kyle put make-up on Cartman to make it look like he had ginger hair to pay him back for an anti-ginger presentation he made. Cartman rallied the ginger kids together to make 'red power' and they capture Kyle, Stan and Kenny in cages as part of their sanitisation procedure. Kyle is allowed to speak at the end to tell Cartman they made him up to be ginger and Cartman has a change of heart, realising he didn't want to be classed as ginger anyway, so sings a song at the end to get the ginger kids and the other coloured hair kids together.

From what I remember, there was no 'kick a ginger day' reference on the South Park. The campaign was started by a 14 year old child called Jaewon Kim who admistrated it as a joke but, the way I see it, people don't need an excuse to be cruel to others of different race/creed/culture/disability or appearance.

I love the show. It is funny, witty, provocative and downright stupid. That's the way it is meant to be. What isn't meant to be is allowing impressionable kids to watch the cartoon so they can inflict damage on others.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 8:00 am

In all fairness, the red heads were asking for it.  ;D

Seriously, though. I don't think it matters whether a kid of that age saw something on TV or heard it in music... Ultimately, it's the child's own decision, and if their twisted minds thought that it was fine to attack a red head, that's on them. They made the final decision, not their televisions.

Perhaps but what brought the ideal of kicking a red hair kid to the forefront?  Kids don't think that deep on their own.

Written By: Bobby on 02/07/10 at 4:16 pm

Perhaps but what brought the ideal of kicking a red hair kid to the forefront?  Kids don't think that deep on their own.

In an ideal world it ought to be the parents responsibility to monitor what their children watch. South Park clearly states it is a cartoon for mature audiences (define that how you wish, lol). All my South Park box-sets are rated 15 and there is one (series 7) which is rated 18.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/11/10 at 2:12 pm

Perhaps but what brought the ideal of kicking a red hair kid to the forefront?  Kids don't think that deep on their own.

I think it's jealousy.  Redheads are HOT!  :D

Written By: Bobby on 02/11/10 at 6:20 pm

I think it's jealousy.  Redheads are HOT!   :D

Ha ha, I like auburn haired women. Just something different about them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/14/10 at 12:34 am

Back in 1978, Randy Newman had his biggest hit with song "Short People."  It was crass and offensive...and it was joke.  It was satire on bigotry.  Unfortunately, short people DO face a great deal of bigotry in the world.  So, it turns out, Newman's song was not funny for a lot of people. 

I was short as a child and I remained short as an adult.  I've never had a problem with song personally because I knew Newman's intentions were not malicious. 

Neither are South Park's.  And, in fact, people with red hair don't face the kind of discrimination short people of short stature endure. 

Here is the other thing.  SOUTH PARK IS NOT FOR CHILDREN.

I would not let my children watch South Park, if I had children, that is.  South Park airs later in the evening and is preceded by a warning of its explicit content.  It's unfortunate some parents are unwilling or unable to monitor their children's TV viewing habits and the children come away with mean-spirited ideas, but that still does not make it the fault of the makers of South Park.

Written By: Bobby on 02/14/10 at 8:32 am

Back in 1978, Randy Newman had his biggest hit with song "Short People."  It was crass and offensive...and it was joke.  It was satire on bigotry.  Unfortunately, short people DO face a great deal of bigotry in the world.  So, it turns out, Newman's song was not funny for a lot of people.  

I was short as a child and I remained short as an adult.  I've never had a problem with song personally because I knew Newman's intentions were not malicious.  

Neither are South Park's.  And, in fact, people with red hair don't face the kind of discrimination short people of short stature endure.  

Here is the other thing.  SOUTH PARK IS NOT FOR CHILDREN.

I would not let my children watch South Park, if I had children, that is.  South Park airs later in the evening and is preceded by a warning of its explicit content.  It's unfortunate some parents are unwilling or unable to monitor their children's TV viewing habits and the children come away with mean-spirited ideas, but that still does not make it the fault of the makers of South Park.

That's basically it. The funny disclaimer at the start let's people know exactly what they are in for:

"All characters and events in this show --even those based on real people-- are entirely fictional. All celebrity voices are impersonated ... poorly. The following program contains coarse language and due to its content it should not be viewed by anyone."

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 3:49 pm

The entire "kick a ginger" thoughts didn't originate from South Park, as pointed out. It's been common to be bullied if you have red hair in Britain IIRC.

South Park is plenty offensive as it is. This isn't anything new from them. They're aware of it, and most people should be aware that they're not taking themselves so seriously.

I would not let my children watch South Park, if I had children, that is.  South Park airs later in the evening and is preceded by a warning of its explicit content.  It's unfortunate some parents are unwilling or unable to monitor their children's TV viewing habits and the children come away with mean-spirited ideas, but that still does not make it the fault of the makers of South Park.

Quoted for truth ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/10 at 9:47 pm

The prize is the Prophet Muhammed's mysterious power not-to-be-made-fun-of-on-TV, and it's a tug-of-war between every Hollyweird celebrity who's ever been mocked on South Park, versus the Gingers!

Last week's episode 14e05 ("200") set it up.  One way or another, it gets resolved (14e06, "201", airing Wednesday) in 48 hours.  We might even find out who Cartman's dad is, from the Season 1 cliffhanger.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/23/10 at 2:10 am

Last week's episode 14e05 ("200") set it up.  One way or another, it gets resolved (14e06, "201", airing Wednesday) in 48 hours.  We might even find out who Cartman's dad is, from the Season 1 cliffhanger.

America the Cowardly: Comedy Central censorship of Episode 201.

America the Awesome: On April 26th, Jennifer McCreight and thousands of women will experimentally verify the Iranian theocracy's thesis that immodest dress is responsible for the recent spate of earthquakes, via Boobquake.

America, I am not sure of whether to be disappoint or not.  But Comedy Central, you fail it.  You fail it hard.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/10 at 7:00 pm

The prize is the Prophet Muhammed's mysterious power not-to-be-made-fun-of-on-TV, and it's a tug-of-war between every Hollyweird celebrity who's ever been mocked on South Park, versus the Gingers!

The problem with the SP season 1 cliffhanger is there really isn't a funny answer to who's Cartman's dad.  The only remotely funny one I could think of was Mr. Hat.  But I think it's something Parker and Stone didn't need to address. 

Written By: Michael on 05/11/10 at 10:51 am

Back in 1978, Randy Newman had his biggest hit with song "Short People."  It was crass and offensive...and it was joke.  It was satire on bigotry.  Unfortunately, short people DO face a great deal of bigotry in the world.  So, it turns out, Newman's song was not funny for a lot of people. 

I was short as a child and I remained short as an adult.  I've never had a problem with song personally because I knew Newman's intentions were not malicious. 

Neither are South Park's.  And, in fact, people with red hair don't face the kind of discrimination short people of short stature endure. 

Here is the other thing.  SOUTH PARK IS NOT FOR CHILDREN.

I never met a short male without a chip on his shoulder because he was short!  I think they call it a Napolean complex.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/10 at 1:40 am

I never met a short male without a chip on his shoulder because he was short!  I think they call it a Napolean complex.

Heightism is a real and demonstrable form of discrimination.  I have been on the receiving end of it. 

I still make jokes about being short and whatnot.  Going through life without a sense of humor is no fun.  Just don't lose sight of the fact that short men most certainly get mistreated every day.

Check for new replies or respond here...