inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This just doesn't seem like the right answer

Written By: snozberries on 11/29/09 at 10:56 pm

So I'm not a mom and never gonna be THANK GOD!!! but a friend posted on facebook that the baby was still breastfeeding at 10 months.. I sort thought once a baby could sit up on their own then they could get off the breast...

anyway I googled when to stop breastfeeding and found the answers vary.....a lot!

but then I saw this and I thought..... .THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/At_what_age_do_stop_breast_feeding_a_baby

ANSWER TO WHEN TO STOP BREAST FEEDING....

7 years:

The anthropologically normal age to stop breastfeeding is round about age 7. Hence the phrase "milk teeth" and the fact that children start to loose their milk teeth at about that age.

The average age of weaning from the breast worldwide is about 4 years; when you consider how many babies in western countries are weaned very, very early, that means an awful lot of children are breastfed for much longer than 4 years.

The WHO advises breastfeeding for at least 2 years and for as long after that as necessary for the health and happiness of both mother and baby.

Your thoughts?

Subject: Re: This just doesn't seem like the right answer

Written By: wildcard on 11/29/09 at 11:05 pm

7 years? 

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/29/09 at 11:46 pm

10 months is not too old but 7 years?!!  :o

Written By: karen on 11/30/09 at 7:45 am

This is another of those subjects where I like to think I'm open-minded but secretly inside I'm  8-P

I breast-fed both of mine.  Elizabeth was about 9 months old when I stopped feeding her myself and James was around 5 months (although I'd liked to have carried on a little longer).

A few mums I've spoken to here carried on feeding until their child was a year old which is around the age you are 'allowed' to start giving cow's milk as a drink.

In the UK I had a friend who was still feeding her daughter when she was walking and talking.  If the child is old enough to walk up and ask for some "boobie milk" I personally think it's time to stop!  Out loud I might defend the mothers right to feed but inside I'm squirming.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/30/09 at 8:34 am

Up to a year would be the limit for me, had I been able to breast feed.  I think if the kiddo is old enough to walk up and take it out themselves it is too old.

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/09 at 9:47 am

Up to a year would be the limit for me, had I been able to breast feed.  I think if the kiddo is old enough to walk up and take it out themselves it is too old.

I was thinking about 9 months is all my brain is open enough for...but I agree if they can walk they can use a cup.

Written By: Gis on 11/30/09 at 10:31 am

When my friends got married the groom's sister came with her son who was 5. She was still breastfeeding him. To me the whole walking, talking, eating proper food and yet still breastfeeding is just WRONG!  8-P

Written By: wildcard on 11/30/09 at 10:58 am

I think in some cases a year might be necessary, but gosh.  I went to Tot Lot when I was Two and wasn't breast feeding. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/09 at 10:59 am

When my friends got married the groom's sister came with her son who was 5. She was still breastfeeding him. To me the whole walking, talking, eating proper food and yet still breastfeeding is just WRONG!   8-P

There's a child who won't be moving away from home.... ever  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/09 at 11:01 am

I found this article, which has some interesting information in it.

7 years? That might work in third-world countries where formula is scarce or expensive, schooling is non-existant, and mothers stay at home. I think 2 years old would be the upper practical limit here.

Ant

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/09 at 11:06 am

There's a child who won't be moving away from home.... ever   ;D

so true!!!  ;D 

actually it'd be interesting to find out how long all those mama's boys were breast fed as kids...  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 11/30/09 at 11:07 am

I found this article, which has some interesting information in it.

7 years? That might work in third-world countries where formula is scarce or expensive, schooling is non-existant, and mothers stay at home. I think 2 years old would be the upper practical limit here.

Ant

third world country I'm willing to make an exception for... maybe.

Written By: Jessica on 11/30/09 at 12:18 pm

HELL.  NO.

I breastfed Jason for awhile, but it didn't work out, so he went to formula.  That stopped when he was about 10 months.  Even before that though, I was introducing him to a few foods.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/09 at 12:22 pm

My step-daughters have/are breastfeeding their kids. They let the kids decide when it is time to stop. I think Bailey stopped when she was about 5 and I think Darwin stopped after her sister was born. By the time they are 4 or so, they do not get the nutrients they need as they did when they were infants. However, breastfeeding at that age gives the kids the feeling of security and comfort they need from time to time. They will ask for it less and less as time goes on until they no longer need it.

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 11/30/09 at 2:57 pm

Hey....I'm 49 and STILL find great comfort in breasts!  ;)

Written By: ninny on 11/30/09 at 3:12 pm

HELL.  NO.

I breastfed Jason for awhile, but it didn't work out, so he went to formula.  That stopped when he was about 10 months.  Even before that though, I was introducing him to a few foods.

Missy tried to breast feed Daniel but had difficulties. He will be 10 months on the 12th and has eaten solid foods (even grownup food) since he was 5 months old. He still takes the bottle but also has had apple juice, Heck he likes people food so much that if you don't share with him he tries to grab the food right out of your hand or mouth.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/30/09 at 3:13 pm

Third world countries are a totally different story.  I say anything over a year is just creepy.  I'm sorry, but it is just freaking creepy.

Written By: Frank on 11/30/09 at 4:15 pm

Ah Howard gibbo , who else would put a comment like that

Written By: gibbo on 11/30/09 at 8:18 pm

Ah Howard gibbo , who else would put a comment like that

...but it WAS on topic!  ::)

Written By: BrandyBlue on 11/30/09 at 8:33 pm

So I'm not a mom and never gonna be THANK GOD!!! but a friend posted on facebook that the baby was still breastfeeding at 10 months.. I sort thought once a baby could sit up on their own then they could get off the breast...

anyway I googled when to stop breastfeeding and found the answers vary.....a lot!

but then I saw this and I thought..... .THAT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/At_what_age_do_stop_breast_feeding_a_baby

ANSWER TO WHEN TO STOP BREAST FEEDING....

7 years:

The anthropologically normal age to stop breastfeeding is round about age 7. Hence the phrase "milk teeth" and the fact that children start to loose their milk teeth at about that age.

The average age of weaning from the breast worldwide is about 4 years; when you consider how many babies in western countries are weaned very, very early, that means an awful lot of children are breastfed for much longer than 4 years.

The WHO advises breastfeeding for at least 2 years and for as long after that as necessary for the health and happiness of both mother and baby.

Your thoughts?

I decided not to be a mom, too. It's not that I don't like kids, I just plain old do not want any.

As for breastfeeding at ten months, I think anything under a year is reasonable, since you want them to get a really good immune system start in life.

I love being Auntie but gotta tell ya, it's stuff like this that makes me feel like I made the right decision.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/30/09 at 10:21 pm

All 4 of my kids were breast fed.  The advantages are hard to count.  The first liquid is colostrum, not milk, boosts the immune system and fights infantile jaundice.  How long to nurse?  We left it up to the kids.  When they were ready for "hard food" they let us know.  My oldest grabbed a hunk of meat from my plate.  But they all weened themselves.  Usually by about 4 or five.  Obviously by that age they were nursing for comfort and security rather than for nourishment, but those are as important for healthy development as food.  And as an aside, I tried to nurse each of them.  They all found my hairy nipple rather funny.  And another aside - my son's first joke - I walked into the bedroom, he was nursing, looked up at me, patted mom's breast, smiled, and said "appa duice" (apple juice).  He is still a joker, and still likes the boobs. :D  ;)  ;D

But personal antidotes aside, there are no rules.  What feels right for mom and kid is what's right.  La Leche League has tons of info and offers support to new moms, so if you are one or know one get in touch, a fantastic org.  Here's the link

http://www.llli.org/

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/01/09 at 11:02 pm

Seven years?  Wow, I've never heard of that before!  :o

I've always thought 6 months to a year was more than good enough. 

Written By: lola669 on 12/04/09 at 11:50 am

I saw a video on YouTube...a mother breast fed on daughter until she was 5 the other is still breastfeeding at 7...seems kinds strange to me. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 3:08 am

Me too!  I hired me a wet nurse, but she stole my wallet and watch to go buy more drugs.  Just can't replace dear old mom!

:(

Written By: gibbo on 12/16/09 at 4:46 am

Me too!  I hired me a wet nurse, but she stole my wallet and watch to go buy more drugs.  Just can't replace dear old mom!

:(

Oh I don't know about that....I'm presently growing my own breasts! They're coming along nicely!  ::) 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 11:54 pm

Oh I don't know about that....I'm presently growing my own breasts! They're coming along nicely!  ::) 8)

Oh now that's a good idea...but can you actually, you know, lactate?
???

Written By: gibbo on 12/17/09 at 5:24 am

Oh now that's a good idea...but can you actually, you know, lactate?
???

Hmmm ....maybe there's no 'point' to it!!  :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 10:34 am

So that is why men have breast fixations?  ;D ;)

Personally, I think the social ramifications of breast-feeding a child up to seven years old would be a problem, encouraging the child to be too dependent on his/her mother. It would also be a prove a little unsettling for his pals if the child wanted to be breastfed during playtime.

Besides, a survey done in the UK recently said there is little difference between breast-feeding and other forms of milk for your baby. Not sure how creditable it is but there you go, lol.

Written By: karen on 01/28/10 at 10:40 am

Besides, a survey done in the UK recently said there is little difference between breast-feeding and other forms of milk for your baby. Not sure how creditable it is but there you go, lol.

Sponsored by SMA perhaps?

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 10:55 am

Sponsored by SMA perhaps?

Well...I did read it in The Sun.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/10 at 12:59 pm

I suppose the old girl's getting a little tired now, ain't she?
???

Some of it is cultural.  I was surprised to hear children breastfeed until they are several years old in some parts of the world where other food is scarce  In Western cultures where children start going to preschool at four or five years old and there is no scarcity of other sources of nutrition, I suppose it is imperative to wean the child by its third birthday.

It is a delicate time.  I was weaned at the "normal" time, I suppose, but my mother forced a lot of formulas into me that did not agree with me.  Hippie moms got marketed a lot of heavy, nutrient rich -- but disgusting -- baby foods.  I theorize this is why I have had lifelong struggles with food phobias and simply not enjoying meal times. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/10 at 6:11 pm

So that is why men have breast fixations?  ;D ;)

Survey of whom?  There are numerous chemical differences between human milk and any other readily available milk regardless of what surveys might say.  Different fat content, different proteins, different enzymes etc.

Written By: Bobby on 01/29/10 at 6:30 pm

Survey of whom?  There are numerous chemical differences between human milk and any other readily available milk regardless of what surveys might say.  Different fat content, different proteins, different enzymes etc.

Hmmph, can't find the article on the net now to prove what they said. It was only a small piece.

I'm sure breastmilk is better, Carlos. Besides, just found out the same newspaper that printed that little survey article has also printed an article saying breast is best - idiots.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/parenting/2549653/Have-the-benefits-of-breast-milk-been-overhyped.html?offset=3

I suppose the lesson here is don't trust a rag, lol.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/10 at 6:58 pm

Hmmph, can't find the article on the net now to prove what they said. It was only a small piece.

I'm sure breastmilk is better, Carlos. Besides, just found out the same newspaper that printed that little survey article has also printed an article saying breast is best - idiots.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/parenting/2549653/Have-the-benefits-of-breast-milk-been-overhyped.html?offset=3

I suppose the lesson here is don't trust a rag, lol.

The rule of thumb should be "Don't fool with mother nature".

Written By: Bobby on 02/19/10 at 6:01 am

The rule of thumb should be "Don't fool with mother nature".

Evidently, lol. Nature does indeed make a heck of a lot of sense.

Written By: silhouette on 03/17/10 at 3:44 pm

Seven? Wow.  :o If kids go on a pacifier to long it messes up their teeth. Now that's really coddling...

Written By: Michael on 05/11/10 at 10:54 am

Was breast fed until about the age of 2 according to my mom.  No ill effects other than my continual focus on breasts!

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/12/10 at 10:50 am

Was breast fed until about the age of 2 according to my mom.  No ill effects other than my continual focus on breasts!

Most   men share that one  ;) ;)

And little boys too.  One day Cat was shopping with a friend.  Her 2 - 3 year old son was sitting in the cart, she was pushing.  The little bugger reached up and grabbed her boobs.  Typical lol

Check for new replies or respond here...