inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Help Me!" thread

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/08/10 at 1:54 pm

This is a thread for prayer requests, help requests, and other needs for help in everyday life. If something's bothering you, post it here and we'll all try to help you. Hopefully, Catwoman can sticky this, because I originally wanted this to be a new board.

First request: I met this girl I like, and I'd like you people to hope for the best for me.

Subject: Re: The "Help Me!" thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/08/10 at 2:47 pm

This is a thread for prayer requests, help requests, and other needs for help in everyday life. If something's bothering you, post it here and we'll all try to help you. Hopefully, Catwoman can sticky this, because I originally wanted this to be a new board.

First request: I met this girl I like, and I'd like you people to hope for the best for me.

Good luck. But as I told you, I can't sticky threads. Maybe one of the LM can for you.

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 01/08/10 at 5:26 pm

^^ then you'd probably like to know that hoping for the best for others and myself is automatic.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/08/10 at 7:01 pm

Topic stickied and best of luck getting to know the girl you like.

Ant

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/08/10 at 7:04 pm

Topic stickied and best of luck getting to know the girl you like.

Ant

Thanks! Anyone else need some help/hope/prayer?

Written By: Step-chan on 01/08/10 at 8:16 pm

Uses Rosa's Prayer command!

Good luck increases! ;)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/08/10 at 9:10 pm

Uses Rosa's Prayer command!

Good luck increases! ;)

Nice one!

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/10/10 at 11:48 am

Actually, my best friend has been asking me lots of money every time, like $800 because she's in a pickle ever since she moved out and lives in a new apartment while her parents moved down the shore. She told me it's an emergency but I can't do anything about her situation. The least I can give her is advice and pray for her every single day. I feel bad that I can't find any other way to help her out.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/10/10 at 3:46 pm

Actually, my best friend has been asking me lots of money every time, like $800 because she's in a pickle ever since she moved out and lives in a new apartment while her parents moved down the shore. She told me it's an emergency but I can't do anything about her situation. The least I can give her is advice and pray for her every single day. I feel bad that I can't find any other way to help her out.

I'll pray for her. It's the most I can do, seeing how I'm miles away from your home of New Jersey.

Written By: MLB on 01/29/10 at 1:53 am

Like many others in So Cal, I have lots and lots of educatoin...and no job.  I'd like additional prayers for guidance and strength to keep on going. Yes, I go to a networking club at unemployment, I'm working temp jobs but they are simple and don't use any of my education/skills. And  another prayer/positive thoughts for my sister who's a mommy to be...she's 21 and the kid's due in June; guidance, encouragement, strength for her as well.   

Anyone need an English BA who can fix computers & do I.T. work?  I can install Microsoft word/troubleshoot it's glitches and type a business letter in the same day. All I need's a chance to prove myself.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/29/10 at 8:33 pm

Like many others in So Cal, I have lots and lots of educatoin...and no job.  I'd like additional prayers for guidance and strength to keep on going. Yes, I go to a networking club at unemployment, I'm working temp jobs but they are simple and don't use any of my education/skills. And  another prayer/positive thoughts for my sister who's a mommy to be...she's 21 and the kid's due in June; guidance, encouragement, strength for her as well.

I'll be praying for you.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/10 at 11:04 pm

Anyone need an English BA who can fix computers & do I.T. work? 

There's a reason that one of Steve Goodie's first parodies (back in 1996) was about being a Technical Writer.

If you haven't already done so, have you considered going into technical writing?  The world needs techies who can write.  (Or writers who can understand what the techies have to say.)  The point of Steve Goodie's parody is as valid today as it was 14 years ago.

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/30/10 at 7:55 am

My dad is in the hospital with a chest pain and he may be there for a few days, or even longer. I prayed for him the other night. If you can pray for him that would be great! Thanks!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/10 at 10:31 am

My dad is in the hospital with a chest pain and he may be there for a few days, or even longer. I prayed for him the other night. If you can pray for him that would be great! Thanks!

You and your dad are in my thoughts.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/10 at 1:30 pm

You got it. :)

Written By: nally on 01/30/10 at 2:21 pm

Count me in :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/30/10 at 2:26 pm

I will pray for him.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/26/10 at 8:09 pm

I'm hoping for a kidney transplant, so I don't have to go to dialysis anymore.

Would you please pray for me?

Thank you!  :)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/10 at 8:24 pm

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/28/10 at 12:14 pm

Written By: Dagwood on 02/28/10 at 3:23 pm

You're welcome. :)

Written By: nally on 02/28/10 at 3:25 pm

I will pray for you too! :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/03/10 at 8:42 pm

Hi Everyone!

I really need some help. A close friend of my father, a man I've known all my life and even consider a second dad, is in the hospital. He needs a quadruple bypass and I'm so worried for him and scared. Please pray for him. Thank you.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 03/03/10 at 8:58 pm

Hi Everyone!

I really need some help. A close friend of my father, a man I've known all my life and even consider a second dad, is in the hospital. He needs a quadruple bypass and I'm so worried for him and scared. Please pray for him. Thank you.

I will.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/03/10 at 9:01 pm

You got it.

Written By: Midas on 03/04/10 at 10:10 am

Praying for your family friend, Apollonia.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/10 at 11:38 am

Hi Everyone!

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Cat

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/25/10 at 7:51 pm

I see this thread is dead. Somebody who has the power can unsticky it. I just wanted it stickied because I thought it would give me the Notable Topic medal.... LOL

Written By: wildcard on 01/17/11 at 10:08 pm

So thas what this thread was really all about  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/11 at 6:58 pm

HELLLLLP ME, I've fallen and I can't get up  ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/11 at 7:18 pm

HELLLLLP ME, I've fallen and I can't get up  ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'll help you, My Love.  :-* :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/16/12 at 7:44 am

I thought you guys could help me out here. I got my new wallet and all of my replacement cards came in the mail, What cards should be kept at home and which ones should I keep with me?  ???

Medicare Card/Social Security

Non-Driver's I.D.

Pathmark Card

Food Stamps

Metrocard

Written By: Dagwood on 07/16/12 at 4:54 pm

I would say keep the cards you don't use every day at home.  Social Security for sure.  That one should be kept in a safe place, not your wallet. 

The rest are probably best kept with you.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/12 at 6:57 am

I would say keep the cards you don't use every day at home.  Social Security for sure.  That one should be kept in a safe place, not your wallet. 

The rest are probably best kept with you.

That's why I keep the real Social Security card at home and take the photocopied one and put it in the wallet.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/17/12 at 4:47 pm

That's why I keep the real Social Security card at home and take the photocopied one and put it in the wallet.

If I were you, I wouldn't keep a photocopy of it, either.  Memorize your number and keep the card home.  If someone steals your wallet they can use your social security number and steal your identity.

Written By: Howard on 07/17/12 at 7:45 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't keep a photocopy of it, either.  Memorize your number and keep the card home.  If someone steals your wallet they can use your social security number and steal your identity.

Ok I guess the less cards I keep in my wallet, the better.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/10/12 at 5:45 pm

My cat Smoky was euthanized... he was barely a year old and we learned today he had leukemia so he had to be put down...

Written By: Dagwood on 09/10/12 at 6:07 pm

I am so sorry, DJ.  I wish there was something to say that could make you feel better.  {{hugs}}

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/10/12 at 6:47 pm

My cat Smoky was euthanized... he was barely a year old and we learned today he had leukemia so he had to be put down...

Ohhh, I'm so sad for you. Where there was love, there is now pain. But the pain is a kind of love, too. Perhaps you will see him again.. it's been reported as having happened!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/12 at 6:54 pm

I am so sorry. When I had to put my my very special kitty Bear down at the age of 15, that was the hardest decision I EVER had to make in my life so I totally understand.

My advice is as soon as you are up to it, adopt another kitty. You are NOT replacing Smoky. Smoky can never be replaced. But a new kitty will help fill the hole in your heart.

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: nally on 09/10/12 at 10:32 pm

I am so sorry. When I had to put my my very special kitty Bear down at the age of 15, that was the hardest decision I EVER had to make in my life so I totally understand.

My advice is as soon as you are up to it, adopt another kitty. You are NOT replacing Smoky. Smoky can never be replaced. But a new kitty will help fill the hole in your heart.

(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

A similar story occurred last year when we had to put our beloved Chloe dog to sleep; she was even younger. :\'(

So sorry to hear about this, Caleb. Losing a beloved pet is always hard.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/11/12 at 7:28 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I probably won't be getting another pet though, dad doesn't want any more animals in the house :P

Written By: Howard on 09/11/12 at 7:46 pm

I'm sorry DJ, my condolences.  :(

Written By: Howard on 06/16/13 at 2:34 pm

I thought I would post this over here, my pinky toenail is about to fall off and I'm trying carefully not to aggravate the nail, like what happened to my first toe when a cart ran over my first toenail 6 years ago in Garden City Park and the nail was dangling from my toe which is really disgusting if you think about it. I have my foot doctor this Wednesday, Is it a good idea to leave it alone and let it fall off if it does happen? :( ???

Has anyone had a toenail fall off? ???

Written By: karen on 06/16/13 at 3:36 pm

deja vu all over again

Written By: Dagwood on 06/16/13 at 6:17 pm

Howard, is it the entire toenail or just the edge out over your foot?  If it is just the edge, clip it.  If it is the entire nail and you don't want to do anything, put a bandaid on it and wait for the doctor.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/13 at 7:00 am

Howard, is it the entire toenail or just the edge out over your foot?  If it is just the edge, clip it.  If it is the entire nail and you don't want to do anything, put a bandaid on it and wait for the doctor.

Dag, I'm so afraid of putting on my socks in the morning cause I don't want to aggravate the toenail and have it fall off. I just hope it's not infected.

Written By: warped on 06/17/13 at 7:06 am

Dag, I'm so afraid of putting on my socks in the morning cause I don't want to aggravate the toenail and have it fall off. I just hope it's not infected.

Howard, why don't you wrap a bandage around it so that you won't have to worry about the sock making contact with you foot.  Leave it on until you see the doctor on Wednesday, it's only 2 days away.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/17/13 at 7:29 am

That didn't answer my question at all.  How much of it is falling off?  Is it the whole nail or just the part that is past your toe?  And, wrap a bandaid around it and let the doctor take care of it. 

Written By: Howard on 06/17/13 at 7:36 am

Howard, why don't you wrap a bandage around it so that you won't have to worry about the sock making contact with you foot.  Leave it on until you see the doctor on Wednesday, it's only 2 days away.

I'll do that. Thanks Warped.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/13 at 7:37 am

That didn't answer my question at all.  How much of it is falling off?  Is it the whole nail or just the part that is past your toe?  And, wrap a bandaid around it and let the doctor take care of it.

looks like the whole thing.

Written By: karen on 06/17/13 at 11:14 am

So you needed a man to tell you what to do?

Written By: warped on 06/17/13 at 1:39 pm

(found this)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35513.msg3047224#msg3047224

Hey Howard, Karen told you just about the exact same thing the other day.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/13 at 7:45 pm

I just said I agree with Warped.

Written By: Katluver on 06/18/13 at 1:40 pm

I just said I agree with Warped.

But not with Karen?

Written By: Howard on 06/18/13 at 2:35 pm

But not with Karen?

I agree with her too.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 08/17/13 at 8:32 pm

I thought you guys could help me out here. I got my new wallet and all of my replacement cards came in the mail, What cards should be kept at home and which ones should I keep with me?  ???

Medicare Card/Social Security

Non-Driver's I.D.

Pathmark Card

Food Stamps

Metrocard

Howard—I happened to see this from last year. On your Medicare card, you should also cross out your Social Security number except for the last four digits. You need to keep your Medicare card with you in case you should get into an accident or get sick suddenly.  Keep your non-license ID with you, too.

I'm sure you have your Social Security number memorized. That's important.  ;) 

Written By: Howard on 08/18/13 at 7:12 am

Howard—I happened to see this from last year. On your Medicare card, you should also cross out your Social Security number except for the last four digits. You need to keep your Medicare card with you in case you should get into an accident or get sick suddenly.  Keep your non-license ID with you, too.

I'm sure you have your Social Security number memorized. That's important.  ;)

and also I should also keep my half fare card too with me just in case I want to go somewhere.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/13 at 2:08 pm

Thats probably a joke that I don't get, since I don't know what a half-fare card is!

A half fare card is this:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1073322!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/senior6n-2-web.jpg

The letter "R" stands for reduced and instead of regular full fare on the bus, we pay half the fare that is listed instead of $2.50, we pay $1.25, I just swipe and go and there is also a system you can sign up for it's called Easypay which means you don't have to go the refill booth in the train stations anymore, once a month when you have no more money left on your card, the guys at Easypay will refill it for you automatically, you'd be getting something in the mail.

Written By: MLB on 01/16/14 at 5:57 pm

Please send positive thoughts/prayers my way that some HR person sees my application for somewhere and decides to give me a chance. I haven't made any money since September and it is tough.

Written By: annimal on 05/24/14 at 3:05 pm

if you can I'm feeling do ow own

the usual depressed thats all.  Maybe just a little lonley.

Written By: annimal on 03/19/15 at 12:36 pm

think I'll post in this thread about my mom driving me nuts.

Lets see, there's an art class for cancer survivors as well as some other classes I can join to stay away from her for as long as I can. 

Written By: Howard on 07/06/15 at 3:25 pm

I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty with stuck zippers? I don't know what happened but I was trying to pull my zipper up on my bookbag and it got stuck on the material of my bookbag, Does anyone know how to pull it apart?  ???

Written By: karen on 07/08/15 at 1:20 am

I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty with stuck zippers? I don't know what happened but I was trying to pull my zipper up on my bookbag and it got stuck on the material of my bookbag, Does anyone know how to pull it apart?  ???

Sometimes you can slowly slide the zipper either up or down while pulling the material sideways away from the zipper. 

Written By: Howard on 07/08/15 at 7:45 am

Sometimes you can slowly slide the zipper either up or down while pulling the material sideways away from the zipper.

That's what My Father was trying to do but the material was so tough that he tried to force the zipper free but unfortunately the zipper came right off and fortunately there was another zipper on the backpack.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/15 at 6:33 pm

Maybe you guys could help me in this situation. I went to the orientation with My Father yesterday and at the end of the orientation I wanted to inquire about my hours for the new Stop N Shop and she said that the front end manager will be there Saturday, she said I can call by phone or go in person but I said to My Father I'd rather call by phone cause going there will take an hour and 15 minutes back and forth, going there and coming home so why waste a trip? And since yesterday I've called up and no one has answered the phone  so I'm thinking they're setting up the phones for the new store and I'm calling constantly and getting no response. How will I know my schedule?  ???

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/10/15 at 8:16 pm

No sense in wasting gas and burning rubber. Keep trying to call in, Howard. You might catch someone who can explain it to you without having to drive so far.

Now, I need help. I am an awful sleeper at night. Like sleep for me is non-existent and I mostly toss and turn and stare at Nooney all night. I know insomnia is a part of dialysis treatment, but usually when I ask them for something, they give me a pill or shot and it works TOO WELL. I want to sleep one night at a time, NOT DAYS at a time. And if I refuse what they give me they keep suggesting all these different sleeping pills. I don't trust them, as I now stay to myself, and if something went wrong, there's no one here to help or call 911 or anything. I know someone will say cut the caffiene, but I don't drink too much caffiene. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and what I call a "pick-me-up" during the day (no later than 3 pm) which has a caffiene content of about 60-100 mgs.
If I'm actively writing I very sparsely, maybe once a week, throw back a Venom energy drink which is 160 mgs for a 16 oz can.
I try to keep tabs on how much I consume because I have migraines from them if I don't watch it.

But yes, if anyone can suggest anything, I'd like the help. I didn't realize how much I stayed tired until a friend pointed out "oh you're always tired, Tiff"  :o

Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/15 at 11:07 am

No sense in wasting gas and burning rubber. Keep trying to call in, Howard. You might catch someone who can explain it to you without having to drive so far.

Now, I need help. I am an awful sleeper at night. Like sleep for me is non-existent and I mostly toss and turn and stare at Nooney all night. I know insomnia is a part of dialysis treatment, but usually when I ask them for something, they give me a pill or shot and it works TOO WELL. I want to sleep one night at a time, NOT DAYS at a time. And if I refuse what they give me they keep suggesting all these different sleeping pills. I don't trust them, as I now stay to myself, and if something went wrong, there's no one here to help or call 911 or anything. I know someone will say cut the caffiene, but I don't drink too much caffiene. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and what I call a "pick-me-up" during the day (no later than 3 pm) which has a caffiene content of about 60-100 mgs.
If I'm actively writing I very sparsely, maybe once a week, throw back a Venom energy drink which is 160 mgs for a 16 oz can.
I try to keep tabs on how much I consume because I have migraines from them if I don't watch it.

But yes, if anyone can suggest anything, I'd like the help. I didn't realize how much I stayed tired until a friend pointed out "oh you're always tired, Tiff"  :o

Thanks.

Before going to bed, try taking a very warm bath. It will help to relax you. Some people say warm milk but I have never tried it so I can't vouch for it. There are some teas that could help, Chamomile, Sleepytime, etc. However, the downside of those is that it could make you have to get up to pee. Don't use a reading tablet in bed (iPad, Nook, or anything like it).

That is just a few suggestions.

Cat

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/11/15 at 2:45 pm

I don't trust them.

And why don't you trust them? I was in the hospital for three days, and my service was excellent. The nurses, the doctors, the housekeeping, the surgeons, etc., everyone was fantastic and did their job with no complications. Your cynicism is an insult to the hard work that they put into caring for you and you need to be more involved in what your options are so that you can sleep properly.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/11/15 at 3:44 pm

Before going to bed, try taking a very warm bath. It will help to relax you. Some people say warm milk but I have never tried it so I can't vouch for it. There are some teas that could help, Chamomile, Sleepytime, etc. However, the downside of those is that it could make you have to get up to pee. Don't use a reading tablet in bed (iPad, Nook, or anything like it).

That is just a few suggestions.

Cat

I'll try the warm milk. The Sleepytime tea...um....bored a hole in me. LOL. Because right now it's just hard to sleep through the night. But thanks for the suggestions. And I don't have a reading tablet. LOL.

And why don't you trust them? I was in the hospital for three days, and my service was excellent. The nurses, the doctors, the housekeeping, the surgeons, etc., everyone was fantastic and did their job with no complications. Your cynicism is an insult to the hard work that they put into caring for you and you need to be more involved in what your options are so that you can sleep properly.

You took my statement out of context. I didn't mean I don't trust the workers, I mean I don't trust the sedatives. As I live alone I have to be careful as to how different sedatives affect me, because I don't have anyone in-house checking on me regularly. And if I fall asleep for an extended period and am unable to wake up, I could be in trouble. My mother took something once that put her under like all hell and if I hadn't gone in to see if she was eating dinner--which she had fallen asleep with half-chewed pork chop in her mouth--she'd have choked to death. It wasn't a sedative she took, but the medicine had a sedative-like effect on her.
I once took an anti-nausea medication in dialysis on a Saturday during treatment. I slept in treatment, slept as my father drove me home and I don't even think I undressed before bed. I SLEPT and when I came to, it was MONDAY. That's why I'm trying more natural alternatives than just a pill to lay me out.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/12/15 at 11:04 pm

You took my statement out of context. I didn't mean I don't trust the workers, I mean I don't trust the sedatives. As I live alone I have to be careful as to how different sedatives affect me, because I don't have anyone in-house checking on me regularly. And if I fall asleep for an extended period and am unable to wake up, I could be in trouble. My mother took something once that put her under like all hell and if I hadn't gone in to see if she was eating dinner--which she had fallen asleep with half-chewed pork chop in her mouth--she'd have choked to death. It wasn't a sedative she took, but the medicine had a sedative-like effect on her.
I once took an anti-nausea medication in dialysis on a Saturday during treatment. I slept in treatment, slept as my father drove me home and I don't even think I undressed before bed. I SLEPT and when I came to, it was MONDAY. That's why I'm trying more natural alternatives than just a pill to lay me out.

Oh, okay. My bad.. Guess I didn't read into it enough...  :-[

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/13/15 at 9:37 am

I don't know if I need "help" per se, just a sounding board.
Forgive me for the long post, I just need to get this off my chest. I haven't posted on this or any board for a very long time. You'll understand why.
This is a true story, Im not making one bit of this up...

Last May 9th my Dad died from a long series of complications from a brain tumor, the subsequent surgeries to remove it, resulting strokes and damage to the brain from the tumor. It was not easy seeing him pass for me, or my family.

One month later, on June 13 I woke up with very blurred and obscured vision in my right eye (my "good" eye, as my left vision was/is very poor from birth). Retina doctor diagnosed as hemorrhage due to diabetic retinopathy (I am diabetic, under control for 7 years).
I was told there was noting they could do initially but wait to see if the blood in the eye would be absorbed (anywhere from 6weeks to 6 months).
I waited, but after 4 weeks, I had more hemorrhages and surgery to remove the gel in the eye was required, a Vitrectomy, and replace it with saline with a small gas bubble to keep the retina in place in case it detached.

The surgery was unsuccessful and after having a few more hemorrhages, and then flashes of light, I had to have another emergency surgery 3 weeks later as my retina was detaching.

Upon that surgery date, the anesthesiologist demanded I see a cardiologist to check on my heat before the surgery was performed.
So I saw one the next day and was cleared, although it was confirmed that I did have an advanced stage congestive heart failure (I'm 47 BTW).

September, 2nd eye surgery was done, they had to cut away the top and bottom of my retina as it was too damaged (if my sight returned it would be like looking at a letter box movie, with the top and bottom of my vision as a black strip). This time they filled my eye with a thick oil to keep the retina flat and would have to stay that way for five months.

In between those five months, I had a heart catherization (October) (to find out why I had congestive heart failure), which came out, to the doctors surprise, no blockages whatsoever. But blood work revealed I may be in the beginning stages of kidney failure however (due to poor blood flow from the heart and diabetes).

Kidney doctor rearranged all my meds for my heart and other conditions to ones that were less taxing on my kidneys.

Within two weeks, right after Thanksgiving I swelled up, put on over 20 lbs and was hospitalized in December.

Now, keeping in mind, I'm not able to work all this time and on short term disability, which runs out 6 mos after the disability 1st started, and would end in December...

So I get the weight/fluid drained off, and get discharged in January.

Heart Failure specialist still wants to find out why I have the heart issue, so its off to get a special MRI.

MRI results, per doctor says I have the signs of Amyloidosis. A very rare blood disorder where your bone marrow makes abnormal proteins that your body/cells can't use. They just basically clog up the works, and all your organs get shut down cause they cant do anything because these proteins just sit there. (for example the heart cells can't contract or expand due to the obstruction of the amyloid).

Prognosis, 18 months at best, that it. Chemo and a bone marrow transplant can extend the time a few years, maybe, but its a death sentence and there is no cure.

So now I have to have a series of special blood work  and heart and other organ biopsies to find out the extent of the disease. This takes 4-6 weeks for results.

Imagine trying to put you life in order in just a few weeks, and prepare for death in just over a year? I'm married and have two 18 month old twins at the time. How do you deal with that?

Well lucky me, after 6 weeks I was told that I had only a special form of amyloid, the kind only black males get and the prognosis is good, I just need a heart transplant (lucky me, I'll just run down to the local 24hr heart transplant store and pick one up. Doctors said it so casually like a heart transplant is no big deal).
Well at least I wasn't gong to die in a year and a half...well maybe.

Anyway, I have the surgery to remove the oil from my eye. Still cloudy, blurred vision. Docs say that's due to all the eye surgeries you've had, they will cause cataracts, great I say. So now I have to get cataract surgery, which means another doctor as retina doctors don't do that...

Cataract surgery is scheduled, but in the meantime, I'm of course not sleeping, stressed, worried about my health, finances and my family's well being.

So I get admitted to the ER in March with chest pains, that only turn out to be stress and anxiety related. They give me xanax and push me out the door.

I have my cataract surgery, which is first successful somewhat, then, of course I have another hemorrhage, which puts me right back where I started in June '14.

A month later in July now, Friday morning I'm admitted to hospital with VERY fast arrhythmic heartbeat. They get it under control with meds, but admit me for observation overnight, which reveals I'm having abnormal rhythms. And now I need a pacemaker/defibrillator (ICO device) or my heart could just stop at anytime.

They put it in the following Monday, I'm out on Tuesday.

Follow up with cardiologist on Friday (3 days later) says my blood work shows my creatine levels for my kidneys are very high and my left arm is swollen from pacemaker surgery. Thinks it may be a blood clot...so BACK TO THE HOSPITAL.

Nephrologist says the diuretic is really hard on my kidneys as I've been on them for nearly 10 years so he takes me off them for the weekend. Kidneys respond and the levels go down, I'm released on Monday.

Two days (Thursday) later I swell up (15 lbs) BACK TO THE HOSPITAL AGAIN.

Doctors are baffled, should of been able to go at least a week w/o diuretic, and now my creatine levels are higher than they were when I was admitted last Friday. Has no choice to put me back on IV Lasix diuretic to get fluid off or dialysis (which I don't want).
So diuretic it is and after a week and half in hospital it finally works and my creatine levels drop, and I dodge a bullet to not go on dialysis. Released on a Saturday 9 days later.

I'm out for a week and one day, nurse practitioner from the cardiologist says your most recent blood work is either a mistake or your kidneys have totally failed, go to the ER NOW.

So back to the hospital for the fourth time in four weeks, this time the creatine levels are off the chart (8.1) and it dialysis time, no way around it.

They admit me on a Tuesday, put in a temp catheter (from jugular under skin out to just over my right breast and start dialysis. Four days straight of it till Saturday. Very draining and not fun. They release me on Saturday. I started dialysis at a center the following Tues after labor day.

So that's where I am now, cyborg man with a pacemaker/defibrillator on one breast and two tube coming out of my right. Three days of dialysis a week, four hours per session...until I get a new kidney.

My diet is pretty much shot, as with diabetes I have to avoid sugar and carbs. With congestive heat failure, I have to watch salt and fats, and now with kidney failure I have to watch protein, potassium, can calcium. Put that all together and it doesn't really leave you with much of a choice or options on food. You can understand my appetite for food is pretty much gone and I've lost 70 lbs since January.
Oh yeah, there's the 40oz fluid restriction too. You can't imagine how little 40oz or anything is till you get capped at just over 4 glasses of fluid. Thirsty? Too bad.

Not to mention my eyesight is still shot. I'm using 175% magnification to type this and cheap 3.25x reading glasses to see anything. Its not easy trying to read nutrition facts on sides of boxes with poor vision, so it kind of a joke as I can't eat what I could read anyway.

So other than being half blind, needing both a kidney and heart transplant, I'm holding together, somewhat. Fighting with doctors, insurance companies, SSA, and filling out endless forms (that I can't read well enough to complete) doesn't help.

Its so hard to believe I've had all this happen in just over a year and a half time.

Sorry for the long post, not looking for sympathy, just to get the whole mess off my chest.

Going to counseling now for these issues, I'll take it one day at a time....

Written By: karen on 10/13/15 at 11:15 am

Man, that's a lot of medical issues.

You know we are always here to listen to you

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/13/15 at 3:21 pm

Oh man, Gumby, don't know what to say. I wish there was something I could do to help.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 10/13/15 at 3:37 pm

I hope you get better, Gumby.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/15 at 7:26 pm

Oh my goodness, Gumby, you have certainly been through the ringer, haven't you?  That should attest to how strong you are, from getting through all of that (and still fighting).  Pennsylvania (as I recall, you are out near Philly) is a good state to have transplants in.  I know there are A LOT of them done here at UPMC in Pittsburgh (I think even the governor even had one here once.) 

I wish I could offer something other then my support online.  Your poor wife must be besides herself worrying.  I know I would be, if it were my husband.

I was wondering what happened to you, I came across an old post of yours the other day, and I remember where you and your then fiance had entered a contest to have a wedding from a radio station.

I'm not very good at anything other then listening.  Please don't hesitate to write again if you need to get your thoughts in order or to blow off steam.  We are always here to help (if we can.)

Patty

Written By: nally on 10/13/15 at 9:53 pm

Seconded.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/15 at 8:13 am

Same here, I hope Gumby gets recovery, keep your chin up. :)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/15 at 12:53 pm

Same here, I hope Gumby gets recovery, keep your chin up. :)

Sometimes life just happens, I guess.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/15 at 10:09 am

Jeez Gumby, hope you get better. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/28/15 at 11:31 pm

one day at a time....

Damn, dude.

For what it's worth, let the record of the 00ze show that however much Gumby got stretched and bent by the hands of fate, he never broke.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/62122295.jpg

Every time I feel like whining about how I've got it rough (I don't now, but we all get old, and I know that someday I will), I'm going to remember you, and the fact that you came back to tell us where you've been and what you've been through, and I'm going to remind myself that however bad I think I've got it, I need to man up like that guy who named himself after green plasticine.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/15 at 7:53 am

It's not about helping me, this is about helping my friend. My friend Randy who owns this orange tabby named Simba and he brought the cat in many years ago when it was a small cat. And now years later It's grown up, he's getting tired of taking care of it. One time the cat cost him about $600 to fix him up and he just waits for it to die and one of the expenses is him paying for the vet and I always say to him "no wonder you don't have much money, you got to cut down on your expenses like doing something with the cat. The cat regurgitates, he sheds a lot and he's always told to get off the furniture. Maybe by next year he should think about giving it to a shelter or a place that can take care of animals that he doesn't want any longer.

Written By: nally on 12/26/15 at 8:16 pm

Maybe by next year he should think about giving it to a shelter or a place that can take care of animals that he doesn't want any longer.

That might be good to do.

Written By: annimal on 12/27/15 at 11:20 am

hope things get better Gumby

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/27/15 at 12:33 pm

It's not about helping me, this is about helping my friend. My friend Randy who owns this orange tabby named Simba and he brought the cat in many years ago when it was a small cat. And now years later It's grown up, he's getting tired of taking care of it. One time the cat cost him about $600 to fix him up and he just waits for it to die and one of the expenses is him paying for the vet and I always say to him "no wonder you don't have much money, you got to cut down on your expenses like doing something with the cat. The cat regurgitates, he sheds a lot and he's always told to get off the furniture. Maybe by next year he should think about giving it to a shelter or a place that can take care of animals that he doesn't want any longer.

To me, people like this shouldn't have animals. Having an animal takes commitment-and yes, even $$$$. I think it is so cruel when people give their animals away just because they are tired of taking care of them. And 9 times out of 10, if you give an older animal to a shelter-the animal will be euthanized because older animals are harder to adopt.

Yeah, having babies (kittens/puppies etc) is fun but those babies grow up. I wish people realize this when they adopt a baby and are willing to make a lifetime commitment (the animal's lifetime-which could be 20+ years).

If he really wants to get rid of the cat, tell him to try to rehome it by posting it on Facebook. I'm sure there are people out there who will be glad to give Simba a loving home. 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/27/15 at 2:56 pm

That might be good to do.

That is one way to get rid of his stress.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/15 at 3:04 pm

To me, people like this shouldn't have animals. Having an animal takes commitment-and yes, even $$$$. I think it is so cruel when people give their animals away just because they are tired of taking care of them. And 9 times out of 10, if you give an older animal to a shelter-the animal will be euthanized because older animals are harder to adopt.

I think from what I recall from what he told me years ago, the cat was outside as a kitten hungry and all and he decided to bring it in, this was years ago but now he sometimes tells me that he's tired of taking care of animals. Doing something about it will get rid of less stress and the room will smell a bit better instead of cat regurgitation and poop.

If he really wants to get rid of the cat, tell him to try to rehome it by posting it on Facebook. I'm sure there are people out there who will be glad to give Simba a loving home.

Ok, I will talk to him further about this, Thanks Cat.

Written By: annimal on 01/08/16 at 12:21 pm

There was a kat that kept coming in our backyard.  My mom took it to get a shot.  she buys food for it and has bought a house to go in if it doesn't have shelter from the rain.  It's still a stray cat and  it's been kept that way, but now it has a place for food and stuff.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/14/16 at 9:07 pm

If only I had more $$$. Good luck!

Written By: annimal on 08/14/16 at 10:48 pm

I cant help right now

Written By: Howard on 10/13/16 at 3:31 pm

Maybe you can help my friend and give him suggestions when the next time I see him on Saturday. My friend Randy has this tabby cat who he took in I think it was about 6 years ago and the cat has been such a pain in the ass so much to him and his live in girlfriend that he doesn't want it anymore. It's been costing him $60 a month to feed and take care of him and one time he took the cat to the vet and it cost him a big fortune. Maybe you can figure out what he can do with the cat, he's just tired of feeding him all the time that he just has so much ill will on it.

Written By: annimal on 10/13/16 at 4:42 pm

stop taking him to the vet for starters. 

Written By: Howard on 10/14/16 at 8:06 am

stop taking him to the vet for starters.

I think I will let him know that.

Written By: annimal on 10/14/16 at 11:35 am

maybe you can lend him your broom so he can clean up any messes

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/16 at 1:05 pm

Maybe you can help my friend and give him suggestions when the next time I see him on Saturday. My friend Randy has this tabby cat who he took in I think it was about 6 years ago and the cat has been such a pain in the ass so much to him and his live in girlfriend that he doesn't want it anymore. It's been costing him $60 a month to feed and take care of him and one time he took the cat to the vet and it cost him a big fortune. Maybe you can figure out what he can do with the cat, he's just tired of feeding him all the time that he just has so much ill will on it.

You didn't mention specifics. Is it a behavioral problem? If so, there are ways to retrain the cat (or the people). Is it just the money? Then there is nothing that can be done about that because taking care of a pet-dog, cat, bird, gerbil, whatever, takes work, commitment, and money. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, then he should find someone who will. He can rehome the cat. If he decides to take it to a shelter, make sure it is a NO-KILL shelter because if not, a cat that age would definitely be euthanized.  :\'( :\'( 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/14/16 at 2:17 pm

maybe you can lend him your broom so he can clean up any messes

He has his own broom.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/16 at 2:26 pm

You didn't mention specifics. Is it a behavioral problem? If so, there are ways to retrain the cat (or the people). Is it just the money? Then there is nothing that can be done about that because taking care of a pet-dog, cat, bird, gerbil, whatever, takes work, commitment, and money. If he doesn't want to take the responsibility, then he should find someone who will. He can rehome the cat. If he decides to take it to a shelter, make sure it is a NO-KILL shelter because if not, a cat that age would definitely be euthanized.  :\'( :\'( 

Cat

Well Yes in a way, the cat is such a pain in the ass that he always gets in the way, sometimes he has to lock one of the rooms to keep him inside so he doesn't escape, it's just that he's prevents it from jumping out of the windows which is in the next room and it always meows a lot, could mean that he is hungry. The money situation was just too much for him, the vet bill was almost $600 to fix him up and he said that's the very last time I take you to the vet. He's just waiting for it to croak so he can deposit it in a box and bury it, he's pretty bitter.

Written By: annimal on 10/14/16 at 3:54 pm

keep the cat away from your ass then.

Written By: Howard on 11/14/16 at 3:15 pm

I'm trying to figure out when I should take my last vacation, Should I take it the 11th-17th of December or should I take it from the 18th-24th and come back on Christmas which either could be crowded or not, Who knows? What do you suggest?  :)

Written By: karen on 11/15/16 at 11:57 am

I'm trying to figure out when I should take my last vacation, Should I take it the 11th-17th of December or should I take it from the 18th-24th and come back on Christmas which either could be crowded or not, Who knows? What do you suggest?  :)

I would expect the 24th to be busier than 17th

Written By: Howard on 11/15/16 at 3:11 pm

I would expect the 24th to be busier than 17th

That's why I will take my vacation the 11th-17th just to be on the safe side.

Written By: annimal on 01/21/17 at 2:45 pm

glad you figured that out

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 11:36 am

you taking another vacation this year?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/17 at 3:59 pm

you taking another vacation this year?

Yes, I will take mine in the middle of August.

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 4:59 pm

the 22nd?

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 5:46 pm

okay, I have hefalumps in my head and the OS is fun because it has some words repeated in different tones of voice.

Beep Beep is a fun OS with it speeding up.

so I'm thinking about fun OS's          can also think about music

I'm going to video more stuff so I'll have it when someone can help me put them together. 

Written By: nally on 05/11/17 at 6:16 pm

Beep Beep is a fun OS with it speeding up.

It sure is... :D

so I'm thinking about fun OS's          can also think about music

I'm going to video more stuff so I'll have it when someone can help me put them together.

So let me get this straight, are you trying to write a parody, but are having trouble? I'm not sure how to help.

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 8:41 pm

I don't have an Idea for a parody yet I'm just trying to come up with some fun OS's to sing and or do other stuff with.  there's lots of songs that are silly like you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd, but I'm thinking more of  different voices or speeds or something.  I can write the parody and make it funny.

something I did I haven't done in a while was to look at my costumes.  sure I can put together something crazy, but I have a wolf costume and should do something with that.  Get a little kid interested, I have a red riding hod robe they can use.

Written By: annimal on 05/11/17 at 10:18 pm

adding the Bird to my OS thought list for the crazy sounds  Don't you know that I'm absurd  just maybe change a little.

Written By: Howard on 05/12/17 at 8:12 am

the 22nd?

I'm not sure yet.

Written By: annimal on 06/06/17 at 9:13 pm

I'm doing a report on Jesters.  There looks like there's a Mardi Gras  jester  as well as a bunch of other jesters.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/06/17 at 9:51 pm

I'm doing a report on Jesters.  There looks like there's a Mardi Gras  jester  as well as a bunch of other jesters.

Are we clowning around??

Written By: annimal on 06/06/17 at 10:13 pm

I got some jester shoes because they were the last ones in stock so they didn't cost much.  I went ahead and looked at hats again and  saw a Mardi Gras jester hat.  Must be a French jester or something.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/06/17 at 10:33 pm

I got some jester shoes because they were the last ones in stock so they didn't cost much.  I went ahead and looked at hats again and  saw a Mardi Gras jester hat.  Must be a French jester or something.

http://images.bwog.com/wp-content/uploads/Jester%201.jpg

Written By: annimal on 06/07/17 at 10:37 am

yeah, that's one of them.  Then there's hooded jesters

Written By: annimal on 06/23/17 at 10:08 am

I'll never get this report done.  I've gone to a site that said jesters had hats with 3 spikes and last night, I went to this site that said jesters had ass ears.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 12:41 am

I'll never get this report done.  I've gone to a site that said jesters had hats with 3 spikes and last night, I went to this site that said jesters had ass ears.
The traditional name for a jester's cap is 'caps and bells, but 'ass ears' is another form of cap.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cap_and_bells

Written By: annimal on 06/30/17 at 11:35 am

I'm confused

Written By: nally on 06/30/17 at 7:19 pm

I'm confused

So am I, with regards to another issue of mine: The sound on my Windows 10 Notebook laptop is corrupted and I can't figure out how to get it back.

"There might be a problem with your audio device."

There likely is, alright, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it. And I've only had this thing for 5 1/2 months. The problem came up yesterday afternoon, by the way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 8:58 pm

I'm confused
The top types of jester caps.

Cap and bells
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Narr_haustuer.jpg

Ass ears
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d4/Court_jester_stockholm.jpg

Written By: annimal on 06/30/17 at 10:35 pm

on top of spaghetti?

Written By: nally on 06/30/17 at 10:40 pm

So am I, with regards to another issue of mine: The sound on my Windows 10 Notebook laptop is corrupted and I can't figure out how to get it back.

"There might be a problem with your audio device."

There likely is, alright, but I just can't seem to pinpoint it. And I've only had this thing for 5 1/2 months. The problem came up yesterday afternoon, by the way.

Update: I tried a couple of things, like restarting the computer and running a scan, but that didn't help solve the problem. I'm thinking I may have to uninstall and reinstall the sound component.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/17 at 10:52 pm

Update: I tried a couple of things, like restarting the computer and running a scan, but that didn't help solve the problem. I'm thinking I may have to uninstall and reinstall the sound component.
I remember once having to buy a new component for an old computer once. Let's hope reinstalling helps.

Written By: nally on 06/30/17 at 10:53 pm

I remember once having to buy a new component for an old computer once. Let's hope reinstalling helps.

I'll probably try that tomorrow.  :)

Written By: annimal on 07/01/17 at 10:17 pm

is this like something?      https://www.amazon.com/Harlequin-Jester-Renaissance-Middle-Costume/dp/B01FUZ20AW/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1498963551&sr=1-5&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=renaissance+fool

Written By: 80sfan on 07/01/17 at 10:23 pm

is this like something?      https://www.amazon.com/Harlequin-Jester-Renaissance-Middle-Costume/dp/B01FUZ20AW/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1498963551&sr=1-5&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=renaissance+fool

It's so RED!!  8)  8)  :o

Written By: annimal on 07/01/17 at 10:30 pm

reminds me of that ski mask I bought.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/01/17 at 10:41 pm

reminds me of that ski mask I bought.

Ski masks are scary to me!  :-X  :-X 

Written By: annimal on 07/01/17 at 10:43 pm

ho ho ha ha ha ha ha

Written By: nally on 07/02/17 at 8:10 pm

I'll probably try that tomorrow.  :)

Update: still no sound on my pc. Haven't done the uninstall and reinstall with my sound component yet. Hopefully I won't procrastinate with it too long.

Written By: nally on 07/06/17 at 7:08 pm

Update: still no sound on my pc. Haven't done the uninstall and reinstall with my sound component yet. Hopefully I won't procrastinate with it too long.

Update... I still haven't taken action with the sound issue on my pc, but I will let you guys know when it's back up and running.

Written By: annimal on 07/16/17 at 2:22 pm

Is it running?

Written By: nally on 07/16/17 at 5:18 pm

Ann: I still haven't gotten around to fixing the sound issue yet. It's been two weeks and I haven't had a chance. But I will get to it asap.

Written By: annimal on 07/18/17 at 11:26 am

Now I have to do a report on characters that wear red and yellow.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/17 at 11:37 am

You're red and yellow!  :o  :o  :o

Written By: annimal on 07/18/17 at 1:22 pm

yeah but they want cartoon characters like heroes and villains. 

Written By: 2001 on 07/18/17 at 5:05 pm

The Flash!

Does Charizard count?

Written By: annimal on 07/18/17 at 5:47 pm

I'll have to see

Written By: annimal on 07/31/17 at 10:06 pm

nope

Written By: annimal on 08/13/17 at 9:30 pm

I'm almost done with the report, but I know there's some guy with some kind of red hat and yellow things

Written By: wixness on 08/21/17 at 2:56 pm

From a thread I started on PersonalityCafe (excuse the text wall):

I really want to be doing something in my spare time that will make me a talented person. I have envied people who are good at something, be it martial arts, drawing, being able to speak another language fluently, programming and/or being able to play a musical instrument fluently (beyond grade 3 for something like the electric guitar). I also envy specific people for how they look, and sometimes for how they are, especially because there are certain parts of myself which I don't like in terms of appearance and how I'm quite alike some people I don't like. The problem is, I almost never do anything about these things, which I shall explain later on.

The thing is, while I'm able to get decent grades in school even though quite a lot of times I do almost last-minute revision, and even though I'm considered the most "responsible" in my family compared to especially my younger brother despite some of my bouts of laziness and even though I can't cook or do various DIY stuff, I feel like I only study and do chores because I'm scared of angering someone. I didn't really enjoy school unless I was out on field trips before Year 10, when the tone of the trip was way more educational, and I don't really enjoy doing chores around the house, especially washing up after meals since I feel like the latter consumes free time that I want to spend on hobbies. Now that I'm at university, although I don't have to be as scared of angering someone, I am aware that if I fail, I won't really be able to have a job that will help me to live a good life, what with everything becoming expensive and what with me planning to leave the UK to go work somewhere else sometime soon after I graduate.

Even though I'm taking a course which I rather enjoy, I don't really find it as rewarding because of the work ethic and the professionalism they kind of push towards us - a few of the lecturers I had there insisted we read scientific journals frequently, at least multiple times a week, and my mentor that the university got for me has encouraged me to revise more and more hours for each coming day before a test. I don't really like this because I find journals difficult to understand, I only intended to go to university just to get a higher paid job as well as the fact that my parents insisted on me doing it, and I simply just don't like doing a lot of work, especially considering that what I had to revise for that test then wasn't a lot more or less in content compared to the stuff I revised for in the past.

We had to create LinkedIn profiles in one of the tutorials in my university - I haven't really used mine ever since the Christmas holidays - I just hate the working world, not just because of the boring and ugly dress codes for the guys, but also because I can't be my own person any more - my particular gripe is with intellectual property laws that I as a professional will have to abide to; there are things that get taken down, where sometimes it's because it's legitimate to do so, but other times, it's done even though it can legally stay hosted on a service, but there's no other way to access the content legally.

I would like to be able to define my life based on what I do for free, NOT for a living. The problem is, I can't get the motivation to enrich the parts of my life which aren't going to contribute to my career.

I've been complaining online about how I can't get the motivation to be good at the now only two things I want to be good at (I gave up on everything else but being able to program and being able to speak another language compared to what I have mentioned above). I have also complained about how I can't look like the way I want to, with some people saying that I've been projecting my discontent on this decade's fashion trends.

The only thing I feel like doing in my free time is playing games, but even then I can get frustrated with games if I'm not good at them or if I don't like the game for some other reason. I prefer games where I can create my own character, have them own their own stuff and have them be in their own world - there, I can do whatever I like without life telling me what to do. I can also feel like I'm good at something quite easily because the incentives there are far greater than in real life, and I get the results there I want more quickly. Sadly, I feel like that most games aren't created with this in mind, and that being good in a game is about as creative as being good at sports. The fact that few games are my taste is what's giving me incentive to learn programming, but sometimes I can't hold on to that or whatever. Sometimes, the game can get boring quite quickly, but I still play them.

People have been pissed about how much I complain and how I never do anything about the complaints; I'm not even motivated to change, with one of the reasons being how it would feel strange for me to like myself. There are other things that I might want to do as well that my parents and my community would not want me to do, such as not playing organ for the local church (I play at like grade 2 level, and because of my gripes with religion since secondary school, if not, since moving to the UK, I'm unwilling to continue), so I nevertheless feel powerless to be able to live my life how I want.

Because of how much I complain (someone has said I've been doing this for at least 18 months, although I might have done it for something like a lot longer judging by how I have written very similar complaints on paper journals, and I have complained about the same things elsewhere online before coming on to this forum), people have recommended that I should go see a therapist, a shrink, a mental health professional. I've heard though that being treated by those guys only works if I, as the client, am willing to change, which I've mentioned that I'm not, in the previous paragraph. I don't know if hypnosis will work, but that might be a path I might have to take since I feel like I can't live my life how I want as a result of my current circumstances and probably also from the demands of my university or something - there's no point in using my own willpower to achieve what I want since I have to do various things against my own will, and, admittedly, I want to do everything with the least amount of work possible, preferably none.

Written By: annimal on 11/10/17 at 11:48 am

figure out why my right arm gets so sore some times.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/17 at 12:07 pm

figure out why my right arm gets so sore some times.
To much use with he mouse on the computer?

Written By: annimal on 11/10/17 at 12:24 pm

yeah. but what am I going to do about it?  I have to become champion of all the arcade games  scroll down to see things

Written By: annimal on 11/18/17 at 8:09 pm

In my music class I've become the background vocal and INS break person.  Finding these things on the lyrics sites can be impossible.  We're doing jingle bell rock and I started singing Ca Raisins.  Now there's something in the INS break like Watch the reindeers cross the sky.

there's something at the end at the end  ?  I love those .  .

Written By: 80sfan on 11/18/17 at 8:19 pm

In my music class I've become the background vocal and INS break person.  Finding these things on the lyrics sites can be impossible.  We're doing jingle bell rock and I started singing Ca Raisins.  Now there's something in the INS break like Watch the reindeers cross the sky.

there's something at the end at the end  ?  I love those .  .

I have no clue.

Written By: annimal on 11/18/17 at 9:19 pm

and I forgot the yeah ha a a a  hu  hu hu at the end end end.  Found my parody while searching.

Written By: annimal on 02/04/18 at 3:41 pm

tell my shoulder to stop it

Written By: annimal on 05/13/18 at 10:42 am

It finally stopped

Written By: nally on 05/13/18 at 9:01 pm

This is a thread for prayer requests, help requests, and other needs for help in everyday life. If something's bothering you, post it here and we'll all try to help you.

I don't know why I didn't think to do this a month ago...but as I've mentioned on at least one other thread, I have a dear friend (a young lady) whom I've known for more than one decade, but I've only been seeing her around at my church for the past five years.

Here's the problem: a month ago she made some posts on FB that indicate she's been seeing this other guy and it's kinda made me downcast. :-[ However, anytime she and I are able to socialize in-person (usually at church), she's always happy to see me. :)

Written By: karen on 05/14/18 at 11:22 am

Here's the problem: a month ago she made some posts on FB that indicate she's been seeing this other guy and it's kinda made me downcast. :-[ However, anytime she and I are able to socialize in-person (usually at church), she's always happy to see me. :)

Do you think she is still seeing this other guy? Probably need to steer clear if she is.

If not, maybe you need to make a move, before someone else asks her out.  I know you will find it difficult to do this.  Might there be a church event you could ask her along to, but arrange to pick her up beforehand so she knows it's more of a date.

Written By: nally on 05/29/18 at 6:03 pm

Perhaps so...but she's always in a cheery mood around me. She always appreciates my presence. I guess in the long run I don't have anything major to worry about, regarding her.

Also, I know she values my friendship. A few months ago she gave me a nice gift, which I think really says a lot. It looks like this:
https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1rzRmQVXXXXbQXpXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg
(It's a ceramic figurine; stands about 3 1/4 inches tall.)

Written By: nally on 05/29/18 at 6:07 pm

Right now, though, I am at home while my parents are away on a trip in Italy, and something problematic has come up here at home, which I think will require a plumber. So I have just texted my mom, asking for advice. At this moment, however, it is after 1am in Italy, so my parents are sleeping... but when they wake up in a few hours and see my text message, I'm sure they'll text me back with instructions.

Also the wristband on my FitBit has broken off and I will need to go out and buy a new wristband...but I can't go anywhere until the aforementioned issue with the leak is resolved. :(

Written By: annimal on 05/29/18 at 10:47 pm

Only thing I can think of that might help is to see if Mario and or Luigi aren't busy

Written By: nally on 05/29/18 at 10:56 pm

I did call a plumber...but the representative said they were all busy. However, I did leave my name and number so they could reach me asap. (In addition, we've done business with this company before and were pleased with their service.)

Written By: karen on 05/30/18 at 3:27 am

I did call a plumber...but the representative said they were all busy. However, I did leave my name and number so they could reach me asap. (In addition, we've done business with this company before and were pleased with their service.)

What is the problem Jeff? someone here might be able to suggest a quick fix just until a plumber can do the proper job

Written By: nally on 05/30/18 at 2:15 pm

What is the problem Jeff? someone here might be able to suggest a quick fix just until a plumber can do the proper job

That's possible. I appreciate any suggestions. :)

By the way I called 'em back this morning, described the problem again (it wasn't too big a deal), and the person I spoke to said they'll send someone to the house tomorrow afternoon, after I get home from work.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/18 at 2:52 pm

That's possible. I appreciate any suggestions. :)

By the way I called 'em back this morning, described the problem again (it wasn't too big a deal), and the person I spoke to said they'll send someone to the house tomorrow afternoon, after I get home from work.
That's good steps in the right direction.

Written By: nally on 05/30/18 at 3:51 pm

That's good steps in the right direction.

Yep, I even left 'em our home number in case they need to call here at any point today. (Also my cell number in case I go out.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/18 at 3:52 pm

Yep, I even left 'em our home number in case they need to call here at any point today. (Also my cell number in case I go out.)
I can imagine a dash home for you tomorrow.

Written By: nally on 05/30/18 at 3:53 pm

Well I will be coming directly home from work. I just don't know what the traffic situation will be like.

Written By: annimal on 05/30/18 at 4:57 pm

this guy is going to eat my finger my finger

Written By: nally on 05/30/18 at 11:36 pm

Well I will be coming directly home from work. I just don't know what the traffic situation will be like.

By the way, they called me back at about 6pm Pacific time to confirm the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I also clarified over the phone what work needs to be done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/18 at 6:15 am

By the way, they called me back at about 6pm Pacific time to confirm the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I also clarified over the phone what work needs to be done.
Take care with it all, hope it all goes well for you.

Written By: annimal on 05/31/18 at 11:07 pm

ah

Written By: nally on 05/31/18 at 11:12 pm

Take care with it all, hope it all goes well for you.

Unfortunately, they called me on my cellphone while I was at work, stating that they wouldn't be able to come over today and do the work, since they had many clients that needed help, so my appointment has been pushed back to tomorrow (Friday) morning at 10. That'll work for me, because I won't be going out anywhere in the morning.

Written By: annimal on 05/31/18 at 11:44 pm

Oh sure, like you weren't after me

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 3:52 am

Unfortunately, they called me on my cellphone while I was at work, stating that they wouldn't be able to come over today and do the work, since they had many clients that needed help, so my appointment has been pushed back to tomorrow (Friday) morning at 10. That'll work for me, because I won't be going out anywhere in the morning.
Turns out perfect for you.

Written By: nally on 06/01/18 at 11:34 am

Turns out perfect for you.

Yes, and they should be coming over in less than an hour. So I have to be ready for their arrival.

Written By: annimal on 06/01/18 at 1:12 pm

get out of here and don't come back

Written By: nally on 06/01/18 at 1:15 pm

Yes, and they should be coming over in less than an hour. So I have to be ready for their arrival.

The guy came over, right on schedule, analyzed the situation, and determined it was a corroded pipe that was the problem. And he didn't charge me for anything, since he didn't do any actual work. His advice was to contact a plumber to remedy the situation.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/18 at 1:19 pm

The guy came over, right on schedule, analyzed the situation, and determined it was a corroded pipe that was the problem. And he didn't charge me for anything, since he didn't do any actual work. His advice was to contact a plumber to remedy the situation.
Good that you know the repairs to be done, but you still need that plumber?

Written By: nally on 06/01/18 at 1:20 pm

Good that you know the repairs to be done, but you still need that plumber?

Only a plumber can get rid of the leak in the pipe.

Written By: karen on 06/02/18 at 2:48 am

But I thought this guy was a plumber

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 9:04 am

When is a plumber a plumber?

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 12:55 pm

No, he was actually a representative from the company from which we got our specialized water filter tank in the garage. See, I thought the problem lied in said tank, or one of the hoses connected to it... but like I said, it was a pipe (which it was hooked up to).

So I'm asking around, getting recommendations for actual plumbers in the area.

When is a plumber a plumber?

If plumbing is his specialty?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/02/18 at 1:30 pm

No, he was actually a representative from the company from which we got our specialized water filter tank in the garage. See, I thought the problem lied in said tank, or one of the hoses connected to it... but like I said, it was a pipe (which it was hooked up to).

O0

Written By: nally on 06/02/18 at 6:12 pm

O0

And today while I was volunteering at the library, I asked a friend of mine (who is employed there) for recommendations, and she gave me some. So I will look into those.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/18 at 4:02 am

And today while I was volunteering at the library, I asked a friend of mine (who is employed there) for recommendations, and she gave me some. So I will look into those.
Wonderful!

It is always best to work on recommendations, for a plumber could turn out to be a cowboy?

Written By: nally on 06/03/18 at 9:45 am

Wonderful!

It is always best to work on recommendations, for a plumber could turn out to be a cowboy?

I'm going to research various possibilities later on today; contact them and see what they have to offer.

Written By: nally on 06/09/18 at 11:04 am

An update on my plumbing situation... as mentioned on at least one other thread, I contacted a couple of different plumbers; one came to my house on Wednesday, assessed the situation, and gave me a verbal estimate (he didn't write anything down); I said I'd get another opinion before deciding whether to choose him; yesterday another plumber gave me a verbal estimate (which was more than the first one; this one didn't write anything either)… so I'm actually going to wait until after my parents return home tomorrow night before making a final decision. The leak isn't too bad; I taped it up last week so that is helping for now.

Written By: Elor on 06/09/18 at 11:37 am

I don't know about US laws but over here you should get an estimate in writing because here the actual charge mustn't exceed the estimate by more than 10%. Without a written estimate he can charge you whatever he wants after he's done with the repairs.

Written By: nally on 06/09/18 at 11:39 am

I don't know about US laws but over here you should get an estimate in writing because here the actual charge mustn't exceed the estimate by more than 10%.

Yes, I agree, and I don't know why I didn't think of that when they were here (at my house).

Without a written estimate he can charge you whatever he wants after he's done with the repairs.

Something I should beware of in the future.

Written By: karen on 06/09/18 at 11:56 am

Yes, I agree, and I don't know why I didn't think of that when they were here (at my house).

Something I should beware of in the future.

If they were genuine guys then I don't think there'd be a problem.  Jeff I think you said that someone had recommended these plumbers to you and I'm sure they wouldn't do that if the guys were in any way 'shady'.

I've taken verbal quotes for plenty of small household jobs.  Only big things like a new kitchen means I've got everything in writing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/18 at 1:04 pm

An update on my plumbing situation... as mentioned on at least one other thread, I contacted a couple of different plumbers; one came to my house on Wednesday, assessed the situation, and gave me a verbal estimate (he didn't write anything down); I said I'd get another opinion before deciding whether to choose him; yesterday another plumber gave me a verbal estimate (which was more than the first one; this one didn't write anything either)… so I'm actually going to wait until after my parents return home tomorrow night before making a final decision. The leak isn't too bad; I taped it up last week so that is helping for now.

Like Karen said, not having this in writing probably won't an issue. Even though you had recommendations, I would still do a Google search on these guys anyway-places like Angie's List & Yelp can be a big help. Check to see if there are any complaints against them. I can't hurt to do so.

Cat

Written By: nally on 06/09/18 at 5:31 pm

If they were genuine guys then I don't think there'd be a problem.  Jeff I think you said that someone had recommended these plumbers to you and I'm sure they wouldn't do that if the guys were in any way 'shady'.

True. And if someone I trust gives me a recommendation, they likely would NOT steer me in a wrong direction.

I've taken verbal quotes for plenty of small household jobs.  Only big things like a new kitchen means I've got everything in writing.

Even so, I often like to have things in writing for reference.

Like Karen said, not having this in writing probably won't an issue. Even though you had recommendations, I would still do a Google search on these guys anyway-places like Angie's List & Yelp can be a big help. Check to see if there are any complaints against them. I can't hurt to do so.

Cat

That's a good idea. I found out about one of these providers through Thumbtack.com, a website suggested by a friend. That site matched me up with a few possibilities.

Written By: nally on 06/11/18 at 6:42 pm

And today we contacted another one, who is supposed to come over soon.

Written By: nally on 06/12/18 at 12:16 am

And today we contacted another one, who is supposed to come over soon.

Update... he came over after 6pm and got the work done! (The leak actually got worse again this morning, but we got someone to do the job.)

Written By: annimal on 06/12/18 at 1:15 pm

yah!

Written By: Howard on 06/12/18 at 3:04 pm

Update... he came over after 6pm and got the work done! (The leak actually got worse again this morning, but we got someone to do the job.)

that's wonderful. O0

Written By: nally on 06/12/18 at 5:44 pm

yah!

that's wonderful. O0

Thanks both of you.

However, although he fixed the leak, there was some water damage in the garage wall...which is gonna cost hundreds of dollars to fix. That'll get taken care of later this week.

Written By: nally on 06/26/18 at 10:45 pm

Thanks both of you.

However, although he fixed the leak, there was some water damage in the garage wall...which is gonna cost hundreds of dollars to fix. That'll get taken care of later this week.

This got taken care of two weeks ago, by the way, so we have no more plumbing problems in the house! :)

(I kinda forgot about this thread for the last two weeks.)

Written By: annimal on 09/03/18 at 4:59 pm

oh crud

Check for new replies or respond here...