inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genealogy

Written By: snozberries on 03/17/10 at 8:30 pm

Do you know your family tree- anything interesting there?

My father started tracing ours-  well as best as he could considering slavery makes it kind of hard to find them because blacks weren't included in the census and names were changed and stuff.  Also, he found out one of his relatives was a rapist or something and disheartened he just stopped looking...

anyway- it turns out the last name we use (some of you know it) is not really our last name. We had an ancestor who was a slave and he ran away. He was taken in by a family who had the last name we use now and was so taken by their generosity that he decided to adopt the name as his own. 

I don't know much about my mom's side except that a great, great, great (great?) grandmother named Harriet owned some land in Suriname. Its pretty much unheard of for a black person to own land let alone a woman- so that's pretty cool.

and I know that my maternal grandparents  were in Holland during WWII- when the germans took control of holland they came to the apt my grandfather lived in and had all the men line up on the street- then they shot every other man... fortunately my grandfather had a good place in line since my mom was born in 46.... neither of us would be here if things had been worked out differently.

They also got caught in some bombings or something and were separated from their daughters for days- not knowing if the girls had survived the attack.... they all survived...  I wish I had paid more attention to history when my grand mother was alive... and my paternal great grandmother... I bet she had some great stories.... but I was too young and stupid to realize there might be some interesting stuff there...

oh and after my paternal grandmother passed I was going thru her papers... she was born colored, married negro, widowed black and died African American.... that's pretty cool...

Subject: Re: Genealogy

Written By: karen on 03/18/10 at 7:43 am

Dai has been doing the family tree research on and off for a few years.  On his father's side it has been traced back to the 1500's.  At sometime in the past the family owned land, and a manor house but that disappeared long ago! 

His mother's family is harder to trace.  The family names start off as Llewyllyn and Griffiths, which are both very common Welsh surnames.  The census forms were often completed by English government officers who didn't speak Welsh and so they Anglised place names.  Plus people changed from English to Welsh versions of names and vice versa.  Took a bit of research to confirm that Sian and Jane were the same person for example.

Even relatively recent stuff can be hard to sort out.  We've only just been able to find references to my dad's mother for example.  She was married before she married my grandad, so we then traced the birth certificates of her first children to find her maiden name.  Except that name isn't the one she used on the 1901 census!  I don't know how much digging Dai did to find out if she was born out of wedlock or adopted her step-fathers name.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/10 at 11:21 am

My mother is a genealogist. I grew up knowing about my ancestry. Most of it is pretty boring. However, my paternal grandmother's side of the family had some interesting stories to it. My great-great grandfather was from Russia. He wanted to move his family to the U.S. but at that time, Russia's quota for immigration wasn't that high. He thought he would have better luck in Germany where the quota was higher. So, he packed his family off to Germany, changed their last name to one that was more German, and he got the quota to come to the U.S.

My great-grandfather was one of the founders of Central Markets in Albany, NY. Central Markets changed it's name to Price Chopper. If you go to Price Chopper's website, they do mention my great-grandfather but they only mention him as like a silent partner when in fact, my great-grandfather was the idea man. He was the driving force until he sold his half of the business.

My grandmother wrote a cookbook in the early 40s that people still use. And her sister wrote 3 books, 2 fiction & 1 non-fiction. My sister is following in the family tradition by write a bunch of books-she has had 3 published on dolls and is trying to get a fiction published.

oh and after my paternal grandmother passed I was going thru her papers... she was born colored, married negro, widowed black and died African American.... that's pretty cool...

I love that.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 10:12 am

^^ & ^ great stuff! Thanks for sharing!  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 03/19/10 at 1:54 pm

I can trace my family tree all the way back to my dad.

Genealogy was a big thing back in the 70s after the miniseries Roots was aired. Since then it seems to have gotten
bigger and, with the technology, a lot easier. I've never really had the time or desire to go looking for family history.
All four of my grandparents died when I was young, too young to remember them so I don't even know their names.
My daughter has been looking so maybe after awhile I'll learn something about my family, until then, eh no biggie.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/19/10 at 2:23 pm

My great-grandparents emigrated from Switzerland in I think, 1908.  They were afraid of all of the immunizations that would be required for my great aunt who was an infant at the time, so they hid her in the bushes outside the building on Ellis Island.  I don't know all of the details of the story, but I guess she was out there for hours, and my great-grandmother was panicking while they were inside going through everything.  After they were finished, they ran outside, and she was sleeping soundly in her basket.  She hadn't been disturbed.   

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 3:28 pm

I can trace my family tree all the way back to my dad.

Genealogy was a big thing back in the 70s after the miniseries Roots was aired. Since then it seems to have gotten
bigger and, with the technology, a lot easier. I've never really had the time or desire to go looking for family history.
All four of my grandparents died when I was young, too young to remember them so I don't even know their names.
My daughter has been looking so maybe after awhile I'll learn something about my family, until then, eh no biggie.

Wow...that far huh?  ;D  's okay some people can't even do that much so consider yourself lucky.

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 3:29 pm

My great-grandparents emigrated from Switzerland in I think, 1908.  They were afraid of all of the immunizations that would be required for my great aunt who was an infant at the time, so they hid her in the bushes outside the building on Ellis Island.  I don't know all of the details of the story, but I guess she was out there for hours, and my great-grandmother was panicking while they were inside going through everything.  After they were finished, they ran outside, and she was sleeping soundly in her basket.  She hadn't been disturbed.   

that's awesome! of course she's probably patient zero for most of the plagues that came to fruition back then  ;)

Written By: nupur on 03/19/10 at 3:48 pm

Wow, this is all very interesting stuff. I don't know very much at all about my genealogy. Both my parents came to the U.S. from India in the late 70s, so pretty much all my family history would trace back through India. I know those on my dad's side of the family were mostly farmers. As for my mom's side, her father was a college professor, but I don't know anything further back than that.  :-\\

I'm curious -- how did you guys go about finding your genealogy information? Was it mostly through family member's stories? I'm assuming some of you may have conducted pretty intensive research. I have always been interested in tracing my lineage. I just I wish I had the time and resources now to go and learn about my family.

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 3:50 pm

Wow, this is all very interesting stuff. I don't know very much at all about my genealogy. Both my parents came to the U.S. from India in the late 70s, so pretty much all my family history would trace back through India. I know those on my dad's side of the family were mostly farmers. As for my mom's side, her father was a college professor, but I don't know anything further back than that.  :-\\

I'm curious -- how did you guys go about finding your genealogy information? Was it mostly through family member's stories? I'm assuming some of you may have conducted pretty intensive research. I have always been interested in tracing my lineage. I just I wish I had the time and resources now to go and learn about my family.

My maternal stuff was all thru stories
My paternal side my dad started researching our history.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/10 at 4:00 pm

It was all my mother. She talked to family members so got some stories but she did a lot of research over the years. When I got older, I did some of the research with her (not saying that I wanted to-I got recruited to do it whether I wanted to or not.  ::) ).  I went with my mother to many cemeteries (Yup, you can get a lot of info from headstones), and Vital Statics (where they keep the birth, death, & marriage certificates). Another place to get info is census records.

Cat 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/19/10 at 6:53 pm

I've been doing mine off and off since 1987.  I wrote to my mom's aunt (whom provided me with enough information about her parents and aunts and uncles to get started.)  Mostly, I've dug through marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, wills, and my favorite, cemetaries.  I still make note of a graveyard wherever we pass one. 

I was able to get a few photos from my grandmother before she passed recently.  With my bad hearing, I'd been unable to understand much of what she said for the past few years, so I am disappointed that I didn't make more effort to improve my hearing while she was here.

Spend many hours in libraries, courthouses, health departments looking through old newspapers and indexes of graveyards and records of justice of the peace (traveling preachers who performed marriages.)  It's one of my most favorite hobbies.  I've "met" many "relatives" online who have provided me with lots of information.  I've just never been organized enough to actually get anything into a pretty format.

My family (being from small rural area of Ohio and West Virginia) have many connections with one another.  Two prominant names I am researching have proven to be connected alot (one family have many marriages of brothers to the wives sisters, cousins marrying other cousins, etc.)  You should see our reuninions, there has to be 200 people come every year.  Fun times.

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 7:00 pm

^ it seems like a lot of work... totally worth it but still so much effort. I just want someone to do it all for me  ;D

Wish I had a pipeline to Skip Gates!

Written By: karen on 03/19/10 at 9:15 pm

Dai uses genesreunited.co.uk to set up his family tree and get links to the censuses.  Not sure if there is a similar US version

We got various bits started by talking to older family members at birthday parties and the like.  Dai's Aunty Ann was also the keeper of the family bible which had various births/christenings recorded in the front.

If you do start using the census records watch out for people lying about their age!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/19/10 at 10:11 pm

The LDS Church (I'm from Utah) is ALL about genealogy.  They have an incredible amount of information stored.  Check out their website:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Written By: Frank on 03/19/10 at 10:49 pm

My Parents came to Canada from Europe after WW2. My mom's family has been in Italy since the 1700s (don't know much before that), My dad's family was in Europe, but from what he told me they came from Asia back in the 1700s. Where in Asia, I do not know.

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 10:51 pm

My Parents came to Canada from Europe after WW2. My mom's family has been in Italy since the 1700s (don't know much before that), My dad's family was in Europe, but from what he told me they came from Asia back in the 1700s. Where in Asia, I do not know.

ever read the Decameron? its Italian but from the 1300's... its totally raunchy but good... I think you'd like it...  ;D

Written By: Frank on 03/19/10 at 10:56 pm

ever read the Decameron? its Italian but from the 1300's... its totally raunchy but good... I think you'd like it...  ;D

I have heard of it, but not read it.

Written By: snozberries on 03/19/10 at 10:57 pm

I have heard of it, but not read it.

going to PM.

Written By: Frank on 03/19/10 at 11:06 pm

going to PM.

I can look it up on wiki...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/10 at 5:50 pm

When my mother was researching my step-father's family, she discovered that he was his own 9th cousin.  :o :o :o  Somewhere along the lines, two brothers married two sisters. It always reminded me of THIS song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/21/10 at 10:16 am

One of my Great-Grandfathers was a bootlegger who didn't give up the business no matter how many times they arrested him.

My Mom and my Dad are third cousins. (For a small town in Ohio that's kind of bizarre. Most are no more distant than 2nd.)

One of my Dad's ancestors made a killing during the Civil War selling flap-Jacks.  He had the innovative ideal of bringing a sack of flour with him. :)

One of my ancestors was a victim of the Dutch Inquisition and his family fled and eventually ended up in Germany.

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/21/10 at 3:46 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have been able to easily obtain some of my genealogy through my parents. They're very nostalgic people and have been able to obtain the information through their own parents, records, and old photos.

In fact, my parents have all these black-and-white photos throughout the generations on a wall in the upstairs hall! There's even one photo of my great-great relatives, (I think around the mid-19th century) when they were still in Ireland, and in that photo is my great-great-great grandfather! I actually received a black-and-white photo of my maternal grandmother's mom when I was home last Christmas, and I think that could be one of the best gifts that I got last year.

There's also a cool photo from the late 19th century of my great-grandfather and his two brothers, taken in Toronto I think shortly after they immigrated from what was still then Ireland, and the photo's in a brown tint.

Most of my family have lived in Canada for several generations except for my great-grandfather as mentioned above. He was born north of the Belfast area in 1879 and came to Canada when he was 9 or 10. I've actually got a Scottish surname, but my great-grandfathers parents were also born in Ireland (not sure if it was around the same area), and my dad has tried to do some tracing but there had been a fire that destroyed the records.

Anyway, my great-grandfather married my Canadian-born great-grandmother who's father came from London in the 1840s, who I guess was considered a Normandy Brit since he seemed to have grown up in the Huguenot Church since his ancestors (can't remember how many greats that is for me!) fled France when King Louis ruled.

As for late paternal grandmother, one of her great-grandfathers (my great-great-great) was born in the States, and my dad has told me that through the words of his mom's mouth, we're related somewhere along the line to Thomas Jefferson.

As for my mom's side, there's a lot of French Canadian blood with some Irish as well. Despite my love-hate relationship with technology, it does have it's perks because my mom has done some tracing over the Net, and has discovered that one of our ancestors was a member of the Filles Du Roi! Her great-granfather on her father's side was born in Switzerland (the French side), and have been told that he was somewhat of a scuzball including with woman. My parents have military records of him, and he fought along with his son (my great-grandfather) in World War I, and on the records it illustrates that he was 10 years younger than his actual age!

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/10 at 10:46 am

I don't know too much about my mother4's side of the family, except that her father was born in Villadolid Spain probably inn the 1860's and moved to Puerto Rico as a young man.  He died in the 1950's. I think my grand mother was born there.  A distant cousin sent me the lineage of my direct fore bearers, which goes back to the early 1300's when my ancestors "came out of the Black Forrest and settled in Stettan" presumably wearying horned helmets, animal skins, and carrying battle axes.  They were mostly craftsmen  of one sort or another.  One went to war with Napoleon, and was killed by Spanish farmers (either for steeling chickens or seducing daughters, the record is unclear).  My great grandfather came to America to work in the textile mills of Patterson N.J. and to avoid the draft in Germany before WWI.

Written By: Gis on 03/31/10 at 3:22 pm

Luckily for me when I was starting on my Dad's family tree, someone had traced my Nan's family back until the 1500's! They were always from Kent which would have thrilled my Nan she was very proud to be a Kentish girl, and all farm workers.

My Nan was a Barnados child, she was illegitimate and her mother had to give her up when she was 2. Sign of the times, when we got her records they had hesitated to take her in case she was morally tainted by her mother's shameful character!
I felt so sorry for her mother who had to lie about who my Nan's father was and pretend she had had a one night stand with an unknown man, and therefore be treated like nothing better than dirt. Usually Barnados severed all ties with the childs real family when they took in a child, but my Great Grandmother refused to let that happen and stayed a part of my Nan's life until she died. Even the woman in the records office said she must have been 'one tenacious lady'!

At the moment I am tracing my Granddad's family. He lied about his age and joined the navy at 15 and led one hell of a life from what I'm finding out!   

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/10 at 8:49 pm

Luckily for me when I was starting on my Dad's family tree, someone had traced my Nan's family back until the 1500's! They were always from Kent which would have thrilled my Nan she was very proud to be a Kentish girl, and all farm workers.

My Nan was a Barnados child, she was illegitimate and her mother had to give her up when she was 2. Sign of the times, when we got her records they had hesitated to take her in case she was morally tainted by her mother's shameful character!
I felt so sorry for her mother who had to lie about who my Nan's father was and pretend she had had a one night stand with an unknown man, and therefore be treated like nothing better than dirt. Usually Barnados severed all ties with the childs real family when they took in a child, but my Great Grandmother refused to let that happen and stayed a part of my Nan's life until she died. Even the woman in the records office said she must have been 'one tenacious lady'!

At the moment I am tracing my Granddad's family. He lied about his age and joined the navy at 15 and led one hell of a life from what I'm finding out!   

interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Written By: statsqueen on 04/14/10 at 1:10 pm

I'm one of those who doesn't even know her biological parents' names!  ;D ::)

What I do know about them:  mom was Irish/German, dad was German.  No names, etc, so no way to trace genealogy.  Also no desire to trace them.

However, my mom (the one who raised me) did her family's and my dad's family's while there were a lot of older relatives still living.  She found out that (however many generations back that I can't remember) both her paternal relatives and those of my dad came from Bergen, Norway. She also found out that she is a distant (again, can't remember how many generations between them) relative of General MacArthur and also of Rob Roy MacGregor (that's the one I claim!).  I'm going to ask for her geneaology stuff so I can go through it.

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 6:26 am

Dai uses genesreunited.co.uk to set up his family tree and get links to the censuses.  Not sure if there is a similar US version

Not entirely sure how similar it is, but I know there's a site called ancestry.com. It's been used a lot in the Who Do You Think You Are? series.

Anyway - I've only just recently started to develop an interest in my own ancestry. Might have something to do with my age, and the older generation slowly but steadily dying out. Wish now I had paid more attention to the stories that were told when I was younger...but that's how things go.
Lucky for me, somebody had already published a near complete family tree of my mother's paternal side on the internet. Saved me a lot of work.
Now I'm digging into my other grandparents' past. I'm only using internet sources, because I simply don't have the time and resources to do the field work.

MTA: I don't think ancestry.com is similar, now that I've had a look, but it's definitely a helpful source.
There are plenty of other helpful sites, like geneanet.org, genealogy.com or familytreeseeker.com.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/12 at 7:46 am

I've gotten quite a bit from Ancestry.com, and they keep adding stuff.  I don't know how good it is outside of the USA.  My family turns out to be real interesting.  We have found out that on my grandmothers fathers side we have some very accomplished, and relatively wealthy(live in maids and everything), ancestors who started out as slaves, but were freed early on(late 1700s) and owned business'.  They were tradesman and teachers.  There is a man who escaped from a slave ship and made his way north, a woman who was freed and lived to be 106, a couple of captains on river boats on the Hudson River.  We have slaves from Virginia who were light enough to pass for white(but didn't) with the surnames Randolph and Lee(as in Robert E. but haven't done DNA, don't care to)On my fathers side we have Louisiana creoles, Gens du Couleur Libre, placage, and Jean LaFitte the pirate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/12 at 8:12 am

Over the last few months I have been using FindMyPast, as far as I can go without having to pay a subscription.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/12 at 9:01 am

I've gotten quite a bit from Ancestry.com, and they keep adding stuff.  I don't know how good it is outside of the USA.  My family turns out to be real interesting.  We have found out that on my grandmothers fathers side we have some very accomplished, and relatively wealthy(live in maids and everything), ancestors who started out as slaves, but were freed early on(late 1700s) and owned business'.  They were tradesman and teachers.  There is a man who escaped from a slave ship and made his way north, a woman who was freed and lived to be 106, a couple of captains on river boats on the Hudson River.  We have slaves from Virginia who were light enough to pass for white(but didn't) with the surnames Randolph and Lee(as in Robert E. but haven't done DNA, don't care to)On my fathers side we have Louisiana creoles, Gens du Couleur Libre, placage, and Jean LaFitte the pirate.

That's fascinating!
The more I watch who do you think you are the more I want to go to ancestry.com

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 9:46 am

At least one Dutch newspaper has a digitalized archive on the internet (dating back to 1752) that's freely accessible. Helpful when you're looking for things like births, deaths, marriages and the like.
I don't know of any foreign newspapers that offer the same, but then I've only got Dutch ancestors (as far a I know). It's worth searching for.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/01/12 at 10:16 am

I know my father's name, I know both his parents died while he was a young teen.  He lied about his age and signed up for the military.  He is the youngest boy in a family of 7 (1 girl younger than him) and he died when I was a teen.  ALL I know

My Mother, I know is German (Goodrich =  her mother) and Dutch (Sturtevant = her Father), somewhere American Indian is in there, as her G.G. Grandmothing was Morning Star Rose...  But I do not know what side.  Both Grandparents have been dead since I was 9.  She has 6 brothers and sister (3 brothers a 3 sisters)...  Other than that - yep not really

I think I would like ancestry.com; but I hate the payments and if I don't really use it= waste of money  :-\\

No one really to ask.  Yep that is my family  8)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/12 at 10:32 am

I know my father's name, I know both his parents died while he was a young teen.  He lied about his age and signed up for the military.  He is the youngest boy in a family of 7 (1 girl younger than him) and he died when I was a teen.  ALL I know

My Mother, I know is German (Goodrich =  her mother) and Dutch (Sturtevant = her Father), somewhere American Indian is in there, as her G.G. Grandmothing was Morning Star Rose...  But I do not know what side.  Both Grandparents have been dead since I was 9.  She has 6 brothers and sister (3 brothers a 3 sisters)...  Other than that - yep not really

I think I would like ancestry.com; but I hate the payments and if I don't really use it= waste of money  :-\\

I'll help.  Do you know where Morning Star Rose lived?  In the 1860 census in Kentucky there is

Edward Rose 43
Serilda Rose 43
Haden Rose 22
Perry Rose 20
Lewiza Rose 19
Detina Rose 16
Jno Rose 14
Wm Rose 13
Cassa A Rose 12
Morning Rose 9(born 1850)
Edward Rose 8
Serilda Rose 6
Lucy Rose 4
Oen W Rose 2

In 1860 South Carolina there is:

Amos Rose 70
Morning Rose 59(born1801)
Anderella Rose 28
Sarah Rose 24
Alexander Rose 22
Willaby Rose 21

In 1880 in North Carolina there is:

John Rose 21
Morning Rose 60(born 1820)
Mary Rose 28
Kesiah Rose 24
Diannah Rose 12

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/12 at 10:43 am

https://familysearch.org/

This site lets you search the Mormon church's database.  And they do EVERYBODY's geneology.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/12 at 10:46 am

https://familysearch.org/

This site lets you search the Mormon church's database.  And they do EVERYBODY's geneology.

I believe Ancestry.com is also owned by the Mormon Church. They really want to know everybody's genealogy. I don't know why.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 03/01/12 at 10:52 am

I believe Ancestry.com is also owned by the Mormon Church. They really want to know everybody's genealogy. I don't know why.

Cat

They want to know if you qualify to wear the super secret magical Mormon underwear.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/12 at 10:59 am

Cat

They have this thing about it.  From what I have heard, they believe that you are predestined to enter heaven, or not, from the day you were born.  They also believe in baptizing dead people.  They just had a big to do about it because Romneys' wife Anne wasn't born a Mormon.  Her father was pretty much an atheist, but they baptized him after he died. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/12 at 11:07 am

They have this thing about it.  From what I have heard, they believe that you are predestined to enter heaven, or not, from the day you were born.  They also believe in baptizing dead people.  They just had a big to do about it because Romneys' wife Anne wasn't born a Mormon.  Her father was pretty much an atheist, but they baptized him after he died.

I heard about the baptizing dead people thing. They baptized Anne Frank 9 times.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/01/12 at 11:12 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/mormons-apologise-baptise-simon-wiesenthal

They baptize EVERYBODY.  It's sick.  They believe that once you get to heaven, if you didn't have the opportunity to be Mormon on earth, you will still get one more chance.  So they baptize everyone down here by proxy, because if you aren't baptized, you can't be a true member.

They also baptized Hitler, fyi.    :o >:(

Written By: karen on 03/01/12 at 11:37 am

Not entirely sure how similar it is, but I know there's a site called ancestry.com. It's been used a lot in the Who Do You Think You Are? series.

Dai has used Ancestry.com more recently.

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 1:14 pm

Sturtevant doesn't sound Dutch at all. :-\\ I don't think there's anybody living with that last name in my country. I'm guessing it's a corruption of a Dutch surname, but I can't tell what it originally must have been. Like I said: it doesn't sound like anything Dutch.
I've found one Sturtevant buried in The Netherlands though (as recent as 1999)...but she was born in Australia, and died on Stornoway (of all places). No idea why she's buried here.

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/12 at 1:37 pm

At least one Dutch newspaper has a digitalized archive on the internet (dating back to 1752) that's freely accessible. Helpful when you're looking for things like births, deaths, marriages and the like.
I don't know of any foreign newspapers that offer the same, but then I've only got Dutch ancestors (as far a I know). It's worth searching for.

that's good to know when I go about researching my mother's side O0

Written By: snozberries on 03/01/12 at 1:39 pm

bet his spirit is pissed!!!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/12 at 1:46 pm

Sturtevant doesn't sound Dutch at all. :-\\ I don't think there's anybody living with that last name in my country. I'm guessing it's a corruption of a Dutch surname, but I can't tell what it originally must have been. Like I said: it doesn't sound like anything Dutch.
I've found one Sturtevant buried in The Netherlands though (as recent as 1999)...but she was born in Australia, and died on Stornoway (of all places). No idea why she's buried here.
Stornoway, as in the Western Isles of Scotland?

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 1:59 pm

Stornoway, as in the Western Isles of Scotland?

I'm thinking yes. Which makes things all the more baffling.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/01/12 at 3:27 pm

Sturtevant is English I think. Maybe they were Pilgrims who got lost, the Pilgrims went to Holland before they came here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/12 at 3:48 pm

Sturtevant is English I think. Maybe they were Pilgrims who got lost, the Pilgrims went to Holland before they came here.

And they left Holland because Holland was TOO tolerant of religious beliefs. They came here to seek their own religious freedom and then denied others theirs. 

Cat

Written By: Henk on 03/01/12 at 4:03 pm

that's good to know when I go about researching my mother's side O0

Only if they lived in the province of Friesland...

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/01/12 at 4:05 pm

I'll help.  Do you know where Morning Star Rose lived?  In the 1860 census in Kentucky there is

Edward Rose 43
Serilda Rose 43
Haden Rose 22
Perry Rose 20
Lewiza Rose 19
Detina Rose 16
Jno Rose 14
Wm Rose 13
Cassa A Rose 12
Morning Rose 9(born 1850)
Edward Rose 8
Serilda Rose 6
Lucy Rose 4
Oen W Rose 2

In 1860 South Carolina there is:

Amos Rose 70
Morning Rose 59(born1801)
Anderella Rose 28
Sarah Rose 24
Alexander Rose 22
Willaby Rose 21

In 1880 in North Carolina there is:

John Rose 21
Morning Rose 60(born 1820)
Mary Rose 28
Kesiah Rose 24
Diannah Rose 12
I am pretty sure Northern Illinois, but I do not know that as a fact.... 

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/01/12 at 4:09 pm

This is just what I was always told by my mother... Not sure what the Dutch name was (I know nothing about even my great grandparents).  We are just not much into family. The last time I saw my aunts or uncle was probably at my grandmothers death when I was 9 and they all live within a couple hours of my mothers house. So distance did not drive them away.  I guess we all just keep to ourselves, odd to some normal to others.  No arguing, but no family fighting either

Written By: Howard on 03/01/12 at 7:23 pm

The Starr name goes all the way back to the 1900's where at first my ancestors were called Starrvich but it was shortened to just Starr cause it was hard to pronounce the name.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/02/12 at 6:04 pm

The Starr name goes all the way back to the 1900's where at first my ancestors were called Starrvich but it was shortened to just Starr cause it was hard to pronounce the name.

Any relation to Patrick Starr?

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/49300_100000578779062_6816528_n.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/02/12 at 7:20 pm

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/49300_100000578779062_6816528_n.jpg

Nope no relation to Patrick Starr.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/02/12 at 7:57 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/15/mormons-apologise-baptise-simon-wiesenthal

They baptize EVERYBODY.  It's sick.  They believe that once you get to heaven, if you didn't have the opportunity to be Mormon on earth, you will still get one more chance.  So they baptize everyone down here by proxy, because if you aren't baptized, you can't be a true member.

They also baptized Hitler, fyi.    :o >:(

I asked a girl I worked with that what happened if the person in the "spirit world" refuses the baptism.  The look on her face was priceless.  Guess she never thought that would happen. ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/02/12 at 11:00 pm

Sturtevant doesn't sound Dutch at all. :-\\ I don't think there's anybody living with that last name in my country. I'm guessing it's a corruption of a Dutch surname, but I can't tell what it originally must have been.

Maybe Stuyvesant?  Many names were changed when people came to America because the person could not speak English so was unable to spell it or the officials spelled names on how they sounded.

Written By: Jessica on 03/02/12 at 11:03 pm

I almost peed myself. ;D

I asked a girl I worked with that what happened if the person in the "spirit world" refuses the baptism.  The look on her face was priceless.  Guess she never thought that would happen. ;D

;D

Written By: Jessica on 03/02/12 at 11:11 pm

I've done a bit of tracing of my roots.  Traced it back to the 1800s on my dad's side.  The coolest bit is that a lot of my relatives are on Facebook and they've been posting old family photos.  I have a wedding picture of my great-grandparents.  There are also some pictures of my great-great grandparents. :o

My mom's is a bit more tricky.  Her dad's parents were easy to trace (German!), but my maternal grandmother is a bit of a mystery.  I guess there were some name changes during the Dust Bowl and stepparents and whatnot.  I can't find hide nor hair of any info about her and her family.

I wish I would have talked to her more about this when she was alive.... :-\\

Just because it is cool (to me), this is my great grandmother Josepha and my great grandfather Lucio.  I'm not sure when the wedding was, but I'm guessing that it is from the early 1900s.

Written By: snozberries on 03/03/12 at 4:15 am

cool pic Jess

Written By: danootaandme on 03/03/12 at 5:58 am

Way Cool  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 7:12 am

My Great Grandfather Harry Starr passed away a year before I was born so if he was allive today he would be 114 years old.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/03/12 at 8:41 am

That is an awesome pic, Jess.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/12 at 11:39 am

I've done a bit of tracing of my roots.  Traced it back to the 1800s on my dad's side.  The coolest bit is that a lot of my relatives are on Facebook and they've been posting old family photos.  I have a wedding picture of my great-grandparents.  There are also some pictures of my great-great grandparents. :o

My mom's is a bit more tricky.  Her dad's parents were easy to trace (German!), but my maternal grandmother is a bit of a mystery.  I guess there were some name changes during the Dust Bowl and stepparents and whatnot.  I can't find hide nor hair of any info about her and her family.

I wish I would have talked to her more about this when she was alive.... :-\\

Just because it is cool (to me), this is my great grandmother Josepha and my great grandfather Lucio.  I'm not sure when the wedding was, but I'm guessing that it is from the early 1900s.

Beautiful pic. Love it.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/03/12 at 11:52 am

Maybe Stuyvesant?  Many names were changed when people came to America because the person could not speak English so was unable to spell it or the officials spelled names on how they sounded.
Yes, if you google Sturtevant it has booth English and Dutch roots.  I do know that my mother's  grandfather came from Pennsylvania.  I found that out in the Carroll County records.  And my mothers grandmother Phoebe Rose Etta Holmes's mother had a child (baby boy) at 16 out of wedlock, no record of his legitimate father, later (years later marrying my great-grand father) the boy ended up with the last name Sturtevant (but not sure if he was legally adopted). 

Written By: amjikloviet on 03/11/12 at 4:21 pm

I haven't really looked into mine. Only know where all my relatives are from and when they were born going back to my great, great grand parents, and my grand parents before them and that our family name goes back to medieval times. I once found out that I am related (on my father's side) to a pirate who was born and lived in the 18th century. There is more to it of course, I guess the story was passed down the generations in my family. That's pretty much all I know about my genealogy.

:)

Written By: danootaandme on 03/12/12 at 3:12 pm

I haven't really looked into mine. Only know where all my relatives are from and when they were born going back to my great, great grand parents, and my grand parents before them and that our family name goes back to medieval times. I once found out that I am related (on my father's side) to a pirate who was born and lived in the 18th century. There is more to it of course, I guess the story was passed down the generations in my family. That's pretty much all I know about my genealogy.

:)

Was it Jean LaFitte?  Because if it was we are cousins.  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/13/12 at 9:37 am

A distant cousin traced my dad's side of the family back to the 1400's when they emerged from the Black Forrest and settled in the village of Stettin (wearing horned helmets and carrying battle axes no doubt) 

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/23/12 at 2:20 pm

I had mine done a few years ago pretty far back (1500s), but when our computer crashed, I lost a majority of it :( I'm a "Dewey" and there are books written about Admiral George Dewey that trace his genealogy (my GGGrandfather on my dad's side is the closest relative listed in it because it was written in 1898, I think). There are also books published on the Bailey side of my family, but I don't really have the time now to look and see if any of them are public domain (although I'm sure there are some out there). On the other side, I believe there are also some books out there as well, but the spelling on that side has changed so much, it was almost impossible for me to trace. One line I found on Ancestry.com went all the way back to Mark Antony, but I'm not sure how accurate that is ;D

My son had to do a "family heritage" project for school this year and he did his on Admiral Dewey because the other options were pretty difficult with our family (both my parents were only children so there aren't really any cousins or anything that we're close to). I was a little peeved because his teacher wouldn't let him bring in my laptop with the download of the ebook for people to look at and wouldn't allow him to bring his power-point (even though I wrote a note promising to stay there with him)...they said if we could get a copy of the book, he could bring that in, but I couldn't find a copy of a 100+ year old book on <1 week's notice :( I was even MORE peeved when a DIFFERENT teacher let her students show THEIR power points (one kid even had a projector and slide show) >:( I have to say, though, there was a retired Navy guy who grilled him with questions and he held his own...he asked me if that was my son and told me he was impressed (and the teacher saw the whole conversation and told him "Good Job!) :)

I DO have a lot of old pictures and marriage licenses and stuff like that which we found when my parents passed away. My favorite is my grandma's, which isn't really a "birth certificate", but a "certification of birth". She was born LITERALLY in a barn in the middle of a snowstorm on Feb 14, 1922 and I don't think she actually ever HAD a "real" birth certificate....or if she did, it was destroyed in a fire. On it, it states that her "mother's maiden name was Taylor, father's name is Taylor...no relation" ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/24/12 at 3:58 am

I had mine done a few years ago pretty far back (1500s), but when our computer crashed, I lost a majority of it :( I'm a "Dewey" and there are books written about Admiral George Dewey that trace his genealogy (my GGGrandfather on my dad's side is the closest relative listed in it because it was written in 1898, I think). There are also books published on the Bailey side of my family, but I don't really have the time now to look and see if any of them are public domain (although I'm sure there are some out there). On the other side, I believe there are also some books out there as well, but the spelling on that side has changed so much, it was almost impossible for me to trace. One line I found on Ancestry.com went all the way back to Mark Antony, but I'm not sure how accurate that is ;D

My son had to do a "family heritage" project for school this year and he did his on Admiral Dewey because the other options were pretty difficult with our family (both my parents were only children so there aren't really any cousins or anything that we're close to). I was a little peeved because his teacher wouldn't let him bring in my laptop with the download of the ebook for people to look at and wouldn't allow him to bring his power-point (even though I wrote a note promising to stay there with him)...they said if we could get a copy of the book, he could bring that in, but I couldn't find a copy of a 100+ year old book on <1 week's notice :( I was even MORE peeved when a DIFFERENT teacher let her students show THEIR power points (one kid even had a projector and slide show) >:( I have to say, though, there was a retired Navy guy who grilled him with questions and he held his own...he asked me if that was my son and told me he was impressed (and the teacher saw the whole conversation and told him "Good Job!) :)

I DO have a lot of old pictures and marriage licenses and stuff like that which we found when my parents passed away. My favorite is my grandma's, which isn't really a "birth certificate", but a "certification of birth". She was born LITERALLY in a barn in the middle of a snowstorm on Feb 14, 1922 and I don't think she actually ever HAD a "real" birth certificate....or if she did, it was destroyed in a fire. On it, it states that her "mother's maiden name was Taylor, father's name is Taylor...no relation" ;D

Way Cool  :)  My mother didn't have a birth certificate, and it wasn't registered at City Hall.  She was born at home and I guess they just never got around to it.  When we put her in the nursing home they asked for a copy we told them when and where she was born they let it slide.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 04/26/12 at 11:08 am

Way Cool  :)  My mother didn't have a birth certificate, and it wasn't registered at City Hall.  She was born at home and I guess they just never got around to it.  When we put her in the nursing home they asked for a copy we told them when and where she was born they let it slide.
I'm not sure why my grandma had to get one, but they used my mom's school records, her marriage license, and something else (can't remember what).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/16/12 at 3:32 am

Just got a picture in my e-mail of my great grandmother as a baby from a distant relative.  She was a cutie.  I had to share.

b. Mar. 17, 1879

Written By: Howard on 05/16/12 at 6:57 am

Just got a picture in my e-mail of my great grandmother as a baby from a distant relative.  She was a cutie.  I had to share.

b. Mar. 17, 1879

wow very nice thanks for sharing.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/12 at 10:19 am

great pic patty!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/16/12 at 5:34 pm

b. Mar. 17, 1879

Awww, she was cute!  Soooo cool.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/12 at 6:17 pm

b. Mar. 17, 1879

So cute, and I can see some family resemblance there.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/16/12 at 9:46 pm

This week (Dr)Skip Gates had Wanda Sykes.  He found her great great whatever grandmother in 1650 was a white indentured servant who had a baby with a slave and was sentenced to 39 lashes on her bare back.  Luckily for Wanda the "child follows the condition of the mother" in the regards to slavery, so since her mother was a white indentured servant the child was born free, and her family remained free.  It was very interesting.

Written By: snozberries on 05/16/12 at 11:43 pm

This week (Dr)Skip Gates had Wanda Sykes.  He found her great great whatever grandmother in 1650 was a white indentured servant who had a baby with a slave and was sentenced to 39 lashes on her bare back.  Luckily for Wanda the "child follows the condition of the mother" in the regards to slavery, so since her mother was a white indentured servant the child was born free, and her family remained free.  It was very interesting.

Sounds fascinating

Written By: danootaandme on 05/17/12 at 4:42 am

Sounds fascinating

In the those years it was common for the whites and blacks to marry and have children.  So common that the power structure passed "anti-miscegenation" laws to prevent blacks and whites from marrying.  Can't have all those babies being born free.

Written By: snozberries on 05/17/12 at 10:57 am

In the those years it was common for the whites and blacks to marry and have children.  So common that the power structure passed "anti-miscegenation" laws to prevent blacks and whites from marrying.  Can't have all those babies being born free.

that makes sense!

Written By: warped on 11/29/12 at 1:25 pm

My parents both came to Canada from Europe in the late 1940s or early 1950s.  My mom's family has remained in the same area in Europe since (as far as she knew) the 1800s or even the 1700s. My dad's family moved around , only a little bit.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/29/12 at 2:57 pm

My ancestors are from all over Britain and Ireland.  :)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/05/12 at 3:37 pm

My ancestors came from Ireland, Sweden, and Italy. I have traces of English and German as well.

I was heavy into genealogy for while! By far the most interesting branch of my family tree was one of my maternal great grandfathers. We were able to trace the line all the way back to the 1300s in England and they were among some of the first settlers in Massachusetts in the 1600s. About 2 years ago we found out that my aforementioned great grandfather had one black parent via census records, which lead me to believe I was 1/16 African American. However, my grandmother took a DNA test and it yielded no African ancestry, which leads us to believe my great grandfather was actually adopted (and therefore I can't claim to trace my ancestry back to the 1300s anymore :()

Written By: warped on 12/05/12 at 3:52 pm

My ancestors came from Ireland, Sweden, and Italy. I have traces of English and German as well.

I was heavy into genealogy for while! By far the most interesting branch of my family tree was one of my maternal great grandfathers. We were able to trace the line all the way back to the 1300s in England and they were among some of the first settlers in Massachusetts in the 1600s. About 2 years ago we found out that my aforementioned great grandfather had one black parent via census records, which lead me to believe I was 1/16 African American. However, my grandmother took a DNA test and it yielded no African ancestry, which leads us to believe my great grandfather was actually adopted (and therefore I can't claim to trace my ancestry back to the 1300s anymore :()

Wow, even if you can't trace back to the 1300s, going back to the 1600s is still incredible. Must have been an exciting experience for you to do all that research.

Written By: Inertia on 12/05/12 at 4:18 pm

My family is mostly British, German, Scottish, and French.

I have spent a long time researching my family history. According to my grandmother, I am related to Otto I the Great Holy Roman Emperor and German King. I have also found I am related to pilgrims Myles Standish, Priscilla Mullins, and John Alden through research. Also, I am related to the founder of Salem, Massachusetts Lot Conant. Some of my relatives were refugees of the French revolution as well.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/05/12 at 7:30 pm

I'm a descendant of Samuel Colgate, the toothpaste guy.  :D

Written By: Henk on 04/13/13 at 5:53 am

It's been a while since someone posted in this here thread.

I'm still working on my ancestry. Luckily, I've found others have already done lots of work for me on several branches (or should I say: roots, rather?). In one case I've traced back my ancestry to around 1600.
In all cases, however, there doesn't seem to be much travelling going on: Northern France seems to be the limit, but it's mostly the provinces of Friesland and Groningen where we're hailing from.

One a sidenote: I discovered one of my great-great uncles (Willem/William Louwenaar) emigrated to the US of A in 1903. So if any of you know anyone by the name of Louwenaar, there's a good chance we're related.

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/13/13 at 9:57 am

It's been a while since someone posted in this here thread.

I'm still working on my ancestry. Luckily, I've found others have already done lots of work for me on several branches (or should I say: roots, rather?). In one case I've traced back my ancestry to around 1600.
In all cases, however, there doesn't seem to be much travelling going on: Northern France seems to be the limit, but it's mostly the provinces of Friesland and Groningen where we're hailing from.

One a sidenote: I discovered one of my great-great uncles (Willem/William Louwenaar) emigrated to the US of A in 1903. So if any of you know anyone by the name of Louwenaar, there's a good chance we're related.

He may have changed his name, as many immigrants  did, or had it changed for him by the immigration agent

Written By: Henk on 04/13/13 at 10:20 am

He may have changed his name, as many immigrants  did, or had it changed for him by the immigration agent

I know for a fact that he didn't (at least not his last name).

Written By: violet_shy on 06/19/16 at 8:02 pm

Interesting topic.

I don't know much about my genealogy, only that one of my ancestors committed many acts of piracy in the earlier 1700s. :-\\ Oh well. I think he was from someplace in Europe(Portugal I think). Not sure of where he was from.

Written By: nally on 06/22/16 at 6:02 pm

We have been able to trace some of my mom's maternal and paternal ancestry back a couple of centuries. My dad's ancestry on both sides has been a little more complicated, due to common surnames in either side. We've had fun with it, though.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/08/16 at 4:20 am

I found out that my great great uncle, William Vanderzee, married the niece of Frederick Douglass. Also, his brother, my other great great uncle, John Vanderzee, worked as a Butler to Ulysses S. Grant after Grant left the White House. John Vanderzee's son, my first cousin twice removed, James Vanderzee was a famous photographer during the Harlem Renaissance. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/16 at 10:32 am

I found out that my great great uncle, William Vanderzee, married the niece of Frederick Douglass. Also, his brother, my other great great uncle, John Vanderzee, worked as a Butler to Ulysses S. Grant after Grant left the White House. John Vanderzee's son, my first cousin twice removed, James Vanderzee was a famous photographer during the Harlem Renaissance.

O0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/16 at 2:43 pm

Way cool.

Today, I got some old pics from my sister who has IDed a bunch of people in them. She has been in contact with a distance cousin who is IDing a lot of these people. The thing is, I'm not too sure how this distance cousin is related or how many of these people she is IDing are related. I'm gonna have to dig out some of my mother's genealogy books to figure it out.

Cat

Written By: Henk on 07/13/16 at 4:53 pm

Still working on my own ancestry... I've managed to work my way back to the late 17th century in most cases. As far as I can tell, most of my ancestors were common laborers (mostly farmers and peasants, but also some carpenters, shoemakers and the like). I have not been able to find anyone of any importance so far. :(

Written By: nally on 07/16/16 at 5:38 pm

That is quite interesting! :)

Written By: violet_shy on 07/27/17 at 6:34 pm

I'm so excited! Beyond excited!!

Today I found out through DNA results(which took over five months of testing), that I am related to Jean Monet. One of the sons of Claude Monet! I am too excited to type lol. It's no wonder now why I love art so much.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/17 at 6:43 pm

I'm 70% Vietnamese, 20% French, and 10% Chinese.  :P  :P  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/17 at 6:45 pm

Today I found out through DNA results(which took over five months of testing), that I am related to Jean Monet. One of the sons of Claude Monet! I am too excited to type lol. It's no wonder now why I love art so much.

Great luck!  :)

Written By: 2001 on 07/27/17 at 10:30 pm

That's awesome! :D

Written By: Howard on 07/28/17 at 8:14 am

Wow, that's fantastic, in what relation? :)

Written By: nally on 07/28/17 at 11:58 am

Awesome. O0 My parents recently took a DNA test and are awaiting their results. It's quite interesting to find out what they hold.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/28/17 at 1:29 pm

Great luck!  :)

That's awesome! :D

Yes it is!

Wow, that's fantastic, in what relation? :)

Tritavus, or great, great,great,great, grandfather. They are still studying and analyzing my DNA to find out more and how I am related to him.

Awesome. O0 My parents recently took a DNA test and are awaiting their results. It's quite interesting to find out what they hold.

Who knows but it's exciting! The testing takes a long time, almost a year for me.

Written By: nally on 09/16/17 at 9:12 pm

Yes it is!

Tritavus, or great, great,great,great, grandfather. They are still studying and analyzing my DNA to find out more and how I am related to him.

Who knows but it's exciting! The testing takes a long time, almost a year for me.

And today I have just registered myself for the test!

Written By: violet_shy on 09/16/17 at 9:16 pm

And today I have just registered myself for the test!

Wow, that's wonderful! I hope you can share your results with us, I am quite curious lol. If not that's ok too.  :)

Written By: nally on 11/25/17 at 3:16 pm

Wow, that's wonderful! I hope you can share your results with us, I am quite curious lol. If not that's ok too.  :)

Absolutely! In fact, I just found out my results online yesterday.

I mentioned them in reply #86 of the current "monthly" thread.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56393.msg3642700#msg3642700

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/18 at 10:08 am

Some where in another thread I mentioned that Cat and I were doing the genetic testing.  Well, the results are in and yes, I'm human.

83.6% European:
    19.3% Iberian
      9% Italian
    21% "broadly S. Europe"
    18% French/German
      .4% Scandinavian
    1% British/Irish
    8.8% Broadly N. Europe
Ashkenazi Jewish .4%
Broadly European 5.9%
Sub-Saharan African  7.3
    West African 5.8%
    East African .4%
    broadly SS African 1.2%
East Asian/Native American
    Native American 4.5% (Taino?)
    S Asian .4%
    Broadly EA/NA .8%
Unassigned 3.2%

No real surprises.

The Native American/East Asian comes through the mitochondrial DNA which passes through my fore-mothers.  I'm not sure how to explain this since we can only trace my mothers line to Europe.  I can only surmise that some distant fore-mother traveled to Spain some time after 1492.

Written By: 2001 on 03/25/18 at 10:12 am

Some where in another thread I mentioned that Cat and I were doing the genetic testing.  Well, the results are in and yes, I'm human.

83.6% European:
    19.3% Iberian
      9% Italian
    21% "broadly S. Europe"
    18% French/German
      .4% Scandinavian
    1% British/Irish
    8.8% Broadly N. Europe
Ashkenazi Jewish .4%
Broadly European 5.9%
Sub-Saharan African  7.3
    West African 5.8%
    East African .4%
    broadly SS African 1.2%
    S Asian .4%
    Broadly EA/NA .8%
Unassigned 3.2%

No real surprises

Very interesting :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/25/18 at 10:23 am

Some where in another thread I mentioned that Cat and I were doing the genetic testing.  Well, the results are in and yes, I'm human. Updated.

83.6% European:
    19.3% Iberian
      9% Italian
    21% "broadly S. Europe"
    18% French/German
      .4% Scandinavian
    1% British/Irish
    8.8% Broadly N. Europe
Ashkenazi Jewish .4%
Broadly European 5.9%
Sub-Saharan African  7.3
    West African 5.8%
    East African .4%
    broadly SS African 1.2%
    S Asian .4%
    Broadly EA/NA .8%
Unassigned 3.2%

No real surprises.

The Native American/East Asian comes through the mitochondrial DNA which passes through my fore-mothers.  I'm not sure how to explain this since we can only trace my mothers line to Europe.  I can only surmise that some distant fore-mother traveled to Spain some time after 1492.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/25/18 at 12:47 pm

Here is mine:

European 100%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 49.3%
Northwestern European 45.3%
    British & Irish 23.8%
    French & German 5.8%
    Scandinavian 0.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 15.5%
Southern European 4.0%
    Iberian 2.3%
    Italian 0.5%
Broadly Southern European 1.2%
Broadly European 1.3%

All my life, I have said that I was 1/2 Jewish. This is proof. What kind of surprised me is that I am 100% European. I thought that I would have a trace of Native American on my mother's side.

People have always asked me if I was Italian. I used to say that there wasn't a drop of Italian blood in me. Now, I have to tell them that I am 0.5%.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...