inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is That Phone Call Really That Important?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/10 at 6:15 pm

Today, I was in the other room and the phone rang. My first instinct was to drop what I was doing and race for the phone. Well, I couldn't exactly do that because my hands were covered in soap. It got me to thinking that whenever the phone rings, we do seem to drop whatever it is we are doing for it. I remembered calling a friend of mine and I could tell from the way she was breathing that I caught her in the middle of some physical activity with her husband.  :o :o :o  I was thinking, if she was so involved, why did she answer the phone? One of my nieces came to visit us last week. Her phone must have rang about every 10 minutes or so. People can't stand to be out of touch for a few minutes?

I'm sure almost everyone today has either an answering machine or voice mail. We even know who is/has called. Most phones today have Caller ID.

So why do we feel we HAVE to answer a phone when it rings even if our hands are full or we are in the middle of something?

Cat

Subject: Re: Is That Phone Call Really That Important?

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/10 at 6:37 pm

Today, I was in the other room and the phone rang. My first instinct was to drop what I was doing and race for the phone. Well, I couldn't exactly do that because my hands were covered in soap. It got me to thinking that whenever the phone rings, we do seem to drop whatever it is we are doing for it. I remembered calling a friend of mine and I could tell from the way she was breathing that I caught her in the middle of some physical activity with her husband.  :o :o :o  I was thinking, if she was so involved, why did she answer the phone? One of my nieces came to visit us last week. Her phone must have rang about every 10 minutes or so. People can't stand to be out of touch for a few minutes?

I'm sure almost everyone today has either an answering machine or voice mail. We even know who is/has called. Most phones today have Caller ID.

So why do we feel we HAVE to answer a phone when it rings even if our hands are full or we are in the middle of something?

Cat

Its like Pavlov's dogs or something... most of us remember the days before caller id so we run to the phone out of habit... I like ringtones tho because now I generally know who's calling so I know by the song playing on my cell if I should drop everything or if I should continue listening to the tune cuz that's more interesting than the person calling!  ;D 

Written By: nupur on 05/03/10 at 6:39 pm

Because people will think you are screening their calls and it will start a lot of drama: "Why didn't you pick up the phone? I know you were home! I think you hate me!! Well, I hate you, too, anyways! Don't expect anymore calls from me."  >:(

That might have been a little too dramatic. Anyways, it also helps to avoid phone tag if you never miss a call. That's probably not where the sense of urgency comes from, though.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/03/10 at 7:19 pm

I don't.  I figure if it is important enough they can leave a message.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/03/10 at 7:42 pm

this 100%.  I make no secret of the fact that I screen my calls if I'm home.  People will look back at wonder why we allowed something into our homes that interrupted our daily lives whenever someone else wanted to do it. 

Written By: gibbo on 05/03/10 at 7:59 pm

I rarely answer the phone. I have a cell phone which is permanently switched off. I only turn it on if my kids need to be picked up and they have to call me.

I NEVER answer the home phone. I am of the opion that the call is never for me .... and I don't really need to talk to my wifes family or friends. I don't believe that I need to know what is happening in other peoples lives. If it is actually important...a message will get through to me!  Other than attending someone's funeral or one of my immediate family being in hospital (with a life threatening condition)...I don't need to know!

Insular?  Yes,....but I like my life at arms distance with others!  I got into loads of trouble because I didn't call my parents and in-laws after the birth of my children. Once again....did they really need to know?  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/04/10 at 7:10 am

I am often without my cell phone... I leave it at home, or in my purse, etc...  If I look down and do not know who is calling, I leave it go to voicemail (I am under the impression that if it is important, they will leave a message).  I let the answering machine pick up the phone at home - I hate running for the phone, only to be asked if I want some credit protection.  I was conditioned to run an answer the phone, but when no treats where forth coming I stopped  ;)

Why are people offended if someone screens their calls, as long as they call back - etc... I see no reason to be offended. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/04/10 at 6:39 pm

Most of the people I want to talk to appear by name.  The other jagoffs can leave a message to which I won't reply.  I often switch my cell phone off when I'm driving.  It's too tempting to dig it out of my pocket and see who's calling.

Written By: Don Carlos on 05/05/10 at 11:40 am

Piece in the paper today about an elderly woman bringing her garbage bin in from the street in the winter.  She slipped on the ice in her back yard and broke her hip, out of sight.  Luckily she had her cell phone in her pocket and called 911.  She could have frozen to death.

Written By: Frank on 05/05/10 at 11:56 am

I'm with ya on this.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/10 at 3:25 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean I don't want to talk to you.  It just means I don't want to talk to you right now.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/05/10 at 4:13 pm

It doesn't necessarily mean I don't want to talk to you.  It just means I don't want to talk to you right now.

EXACTLY!  I screen the crap out of my calls, and everyone who knows me knows this.  I don't know if they're offended or not.  It's nothing personal - I just have a busy life. 

Written By: Red Ant on 05/05/10 at 11:54 pm

"So why do we feel we HAVE to answer a phone when it rings even if our hands are full or we are in the middle of something?"

because the retarded asshole calling is going to let it ring 38 times before he gives up.

Ant

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/06/10 at 12:23 pm

"So why do we feel we HAVE to answer a phone when it rings even if our hands are full or we are in the middle of something?"

because the retarded asshole calling is going to let it ring 38 times before he gives up.

Ant

::)  Sooooo true! 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/10 at 1:14 am

Ant

My friend Dean, uh, retarded azzwholes often leave message of more than 500 words.  They recite the epic pom of 'uh" on the voice mail.  Just the basics, please!

One way to cut down on the "uh" factor is to run a long intro message, which some might fine annoying, but others will be able to gather their thoughts.  I knew one guy with an answering machine said: "Not here, leave a message!"  Not even in time for you to orient yourself as to what's happening, so you gut "uh, uh, uh" ins the beginning!
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/07/10 at 9:49 am

My friend Dean, uh, retarded butts often leave message of more than 500 words.  They recite the epic pom of 'uh" on the voice mail.  Just the basics, please!

One way to cut down on the "uh" factor is to run a long intro message, which some might fine annoying, but others will be able to gather their thoughts.  I knew one guy with an answering machine said: "Not here, leave a message!"  Not even in time for you to orient yourself as to what's happening, so you gut "uh, uh, uh" ins the beginning!

I knew this guy who had THIS on his answering machine:

"Hello? (pause)  Ha, ha, I got ya." (Or something like that).

Cat

Written By: nupur on 05/07/10 at 10:12 am

Cat

Haha! I used to have a voicemail message similar to that: "Hello? . . . Just Kidding! Leave a message." This was almost 2 years ago, and my dad is still bitter about me fooling him so many times.  To this day, one of my friends still waits for me to keep talking when she calls to make sure I'm really there.  ;D

Written By: gmann on 05/10/10 at 2:05 pm

For several years, my father refused to get a cell phone because he didn't want people to have an opportunity to reach him if he wasn't home. Some of my former co-workers still subscribe to that attitude. Sometimes I wish I could, buit it would play havoc with my line of work.  :-\\

Written By: Michael on 05/11/10 at 10:42 am

Once, when I was still in the business world, I was meeting with a potential vendor and during the discussion his cell phone rang and he took the calll!  I immediately ended the meeting.  If the unknown caller was more important than the meeting, then he didn't need my business.  A real lack of professionalism!

Written By: snozberries on 05/11/10 at 6:47 pm

Once, when I was still in the business world, I was meeting with a potential vendor and during the discussion his cell phone rang and he took the calll!  I immediately ended the meeting.  If the unknown caller was more important than the meeting, then he didn't need my business.  A real lack of professionalism!

did he say the caller was unknown to him? Or do you just not know who was calling him?

I give leniency to people because I don't know what's going on in their world... for me- my dad has been really sick (although he's doing much better than before neither of my parents are in good health)  anyway-  if the phone rings from my parents, or anyone with an AZ area code I will take it because I don't know if its important (aka bad news)

Having said that- I know a lot of people with kids take calls because they don't know if the call might involve some info about their kids.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/10 at 12:25 am

"Hello? (pause)  Ha, ha, I got ya." (Or something like that).

Cat

Most annoying answering machine message -- my friend Fat Mike:

(In an Alfred Hitchcock voice) "Halloooo...as no one has deigned to answer the telephone, I have been delegated the rather oooodious task of taking your message.  So....commence speaking at the sound of the tone, but make it fast before I get bored, and cut you off! Muaha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!"

It was lame the first time, and annoying subsequently.  I told him so, but he insisted on keeping it.

Second was my mother's nebbish of a boyfriend, Tim the Wimp:

(In a Mr. Van Driesen voice.  Remember, a lot of people wouldn't talk to answering machines) Hello -- Please don't hang up.  Your message is very important to those of us at 555-3699, so please do leave a message at the beep, and we will return your call as soon as we possibly can. We promise.  Have a wonderful day!

Now I can't leave a message 'cos I'm about to toss my cookies!

Third most annoying was my friend Scott, who decided everybody had heard all the standard messages, the fun messages, the nasty messages, and the dorky messages, and there really wasn't a point in recording a message.

(In flat affect) Not home. Leave a message. BEEEEP

See what Scott forgot was the outgoing message DID serve a purpose.  It gave you the time to realize you got an answering machine and think of something to say.  Scott only gave you one second, so you'd be disoriented saying "Hello?  Hello? Uh, right your not home um.....what was a going to say? Oh yeah...uhhh....we should, uh, be able to pick you up at about, uhhhhh, 7:00"

The worst kind of message, vague and rambling!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/phone.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/10 at 10:37 am

did he say the caller was unknown to him? Or do you just not know who was calling him?

I give leniency to people because I don't know what's going on in their world... for me- my dad has been really sick (although he's doing much better than before neither of my parents are in good health)  anyway-  if the phone rings from my parents, or anyone with an AZ area code I will take it because I don't know if its important (aka bad news)

Having said that- I know a lot of people with kids take calls because they don't know if the call might involve some info about their kids.

That I totally understand. Carlos & I were talking about this yesterday because we are at the chiropractor's office (yes, we both go in and are both in there as each one of us has our backs cracked). The doc was just about to crack Carlos' back when his phone rang. He excused himself and left the room to take the call. This is the first time he has ever done this so we were thinking that it probably was very important-something with his kids, or something. He was gone for about 10 minutes. When he came back in, he did apologized and told us that it was (he gave the name but we didn't know and I can't remember) who was in the L.A. Olympics for wrestling. We wondered why this guy was calling our chiropractor. Then he told us that they coach together (wrestling). Ok, so he interrupted our session to talk to another coach (whether he is an Olympian or not)?  >:( >:(  Was that REALLY that important that he couldn't wait until he was done cracking our backs? Our appointments usually only take about 10-15 minutes for him to do both of us. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/12/10 at 12:39 pm

That I totally understand. Carlos & I were talking about this yesterday because we are at the chiropractor's office (yes, we both go in and are both in there as each one of us has our backs cracked). The doc was just about to crack Carlos' back when his phone rang. He excused himself and left the room to take the call. This is the first time he has ever done this so we were thinking that it probably was very important-something with his kids, or something. He was gone for about 10 minutes. When he came back in, he did apologized and told us that it was (he gave the name but we didn't know and I can't remember) who was in the L.A. Olympics for wrestling. We wondered why this guy was calling our chiropractor. Then he told us that they coach together (wrestling). Ok, so he interrupted our session to talk to another coach (whether he is an Olympian or not)?  >:( >:(  Was that REALLY that important that he couldn't wait until he was done cracking our backs? Our appointments usually only take about 10-15 minutes for him to do both of us. 

Cat

yeah he should've been smooth and just told you it was an important call (not giving details) even if it wasn't...

who besides people who name them... can name Olympic ::) wrestlers anyway?

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/31/10 at 5:52 pm

IN THE COMIC STRIP ZITS :
<the Duncans' phone rings>

Jeremy's voice: You've reached the number you've dialed,
blah-blah-blah-blah.
If you need further instructions,
well, that's just pathetic.

BEEP!

Walt(Jeremy's father): Jeremy! Who said you could record a new message!?

It is insane the way people rush to the phone. It's like we're frightened to be out of contact anymore.
I think we should all take a lessone from H. Jackson Brown, who wrote in Life's Little Instruction Book:
Dont' interrupt dinner to answer the phone. It's there for YOUR convenience, NOT the caller's.
Food for thought.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 2:47 am

Sometimes I just shut the power off if I'm driving.  It might be an emergency.  Yeah, well, I might get creamed by an 18-wheeler because I'm distracted listening to you gripe about some sh*t your boss said at the meeting!  That would be an emergency too!

I always power it down at the movies or a concert.  No, don't set it to vibrate.  I'm trying to listen to a flute recital and I keep hearing a low-pitched hoooonk hooooonk hoooooonk!

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/02/10 at 7:55 am

I want to know when it became acceptable for people to have their cell-phones while they're working?  I was at Rite-Aid and the cashier answered his phone while waiting on me  :o >:(.  When I worked in retail we were not allowed to have a cell phone with us, if anyone needed to get a hold of us they called the main line to the store. 

Same goes for school, some parents argue that their kids need them with them in case of an emergency and the paret needs to get a hold of the kid.  When I was in school, parents called the office. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/10 at 11:49 am

The only time we have our cell phone with us is when we are traveling. We don't bring the cell if we are going to store, running errands, or even if we are going out for the evening.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/02/10 at 6:45 pm

I want to know when it became acceptable for people to have their cell-phones while they're working?  I was at Rite-Aid and the cashier answered his phone while waiting on me  :o >:(.  When I worked in retail we were not allowed to have a cell phone with us, if anyone needed to get a hold of us they called the main line to the store. 

Same goes for school, some parents argue that their kids need them with them in case of an emergency and the paret needs to get a hold of the kid.  When I was in school, parents called the office. 

Some workers at Pathmark use their cell phones almost all the time,busy texting or using their Blackberries. ::)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/02/10 at 10:59 pm

I know what you mean.  I supervise a room full of 20 somethings.  They constantly have to be texting or on the phone.  We also work with very sensitive information and according to the PCI rules, in order to keep up with compliance they are not allowed.  You would have thought we told them they had to be chained to their desks when the security manager told them the phones had to be out of sight and if you needed to use it you had to leave the secure part of the building to do so.  He explained what it would mean if they were seen with them or if, heaven forbid. SSN's or credit card numbers were stolen because of the phones.  They took it as not trusting them.  No, it is that your phone time is not worth our company going under.  For every # that gets stolen and used, our company gets fined $10,000.  Sorry, if you don't like it, there is the door.  We were hiring when we hired you and we will hire new people after you. 

Forget the fact that a couple of them spent the day updating Facebook on their phones instead of working, which cost the company money as well.  I mean, I love Facebook, but it isn't all that important that it has to be checked and updated constantly.  I so can't wait until the real world rears its ugly head and smacks three of them in particular.  They need a good knock of the pedestals they have placed themselves on.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/10 at 1:50 am

I guess I'm of a different generation.  I wouldn't make a personal cell phone call while I was punched in any more than I would have made a payphone call twenty years ago.  People have this total sense of entitlement when it comes to these pocket entertainment systems they carry around.

I never ate at my cubicle or my desk.  I'm sick of the new-fangled attitude that says "the world is my picnic table."  College students are the worst with this.  They'll be working at a computer terminal while scarfing down a cartoon of noodles and a plate of fish sticks & ketchup, and I'm like, "Dude, I have to use that terminal sometimes too you know.  That's really, uh, inconsiderate."
"What are you, the boss around here now?"
:D

Written By: Howard on 09/04/10 at 7:13 am

I guess I'm of a different generation.  I wouldn't make a personal cell phone call while I was punched in any more than I would have made a payphone call twenty years ago.  People have this total sense of entitlement when it comes to these pocket entertainment systems they carry around.

Now those are everywhere you look.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 09/04/10 at 10:55 am

I used to have an excellent work ethic. I used to do all the work I had to do then seek out the boss to find more work to do.. if the boss wasn't around I found something that needed doing...

In a way I still have that. I mean we were without a lead dispatcher for two years so I jumped on getting all the manuals up to date and updating the process with which we do things and quality spot checks and stuff. But I also work a job where the only break I get is to go to bathroom and, even then, I don't always get to go when I need to...  I eat at my computer because I have to eat at my computer. 

I work- 10; 12; 14; 16; and, once, an 18 hour shift, again- with nothing but bathroom breaks.... so yeah I've taken to playing on the computer, watching stuff online, or posting here and on facebook, checking email and stuff while at work but I also get my work done. I just don't do it as dilligently as I used to when I was younger because I got tired of being the only worker in the place and not getting rewarded for my efforts.. my co-workers would stand around and socialize while I worked my ass off and at the end of the week we all got the same paycheck.

Check for new replies or respond here...