inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What the hell is wrong with people.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/11/10 at 6:49 pm

This is a story that has been ongoing all day today.  What the hell is wrong with people?  How could you murder your own baby?  You hear this kind of story all the time but it still floors me every time.

I fully believe that there is a special place in Hell for people who do this.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10728945

Body of missing 4-year-old found; mother and stepfather charged
May 11th, 2010 @ 5:37pm

UPDATE: At 5 p.m. investigators discovered the body of 4-year-old Ethan Stacy at the Ogden Valley site.

Layton City Police Department in a press conference stated that charges have been leveled against the boy's mother, 27-year-old Stephanie Sloop, and stepfather, 31-year-old Nathan Sloop. They have been charged with aggravated homicide, felony child abuse, obstruction of justice and desecration of a corpse.

LAYTON -- Early Tuesday morning, Layton police issued an Endangered Person Advisory for 4-year-old Ethan Stacy. They searched the apartment complex where he lives for several hours.

Ethan was last seen by his mother around 11 p.m. Monday when she tucked him into bed. Around midnight she went to check on him, realized he was missing and called police.

The boy is new to the area. He lived with his biological father in Virginia but 10 days ago came to live with his mother and stepfather for the summer. His mother tells police during those 10 days, he's walked out of the home five times during the night, but he was always found in the apartment complex.

Investigation moved to Ogden Valley

Tuesday afternoon, officials called off the search in Layton while beginning a search in Ogden Valley.
Police and volunteers search the Layton Meadows apartments for 4-year-old Ethan Stacy.

Weber County sheriff's Lt. Phillip Howell said, "The Layton Police Department called us for assistance in their investigation with a missing child."

Police say they received information that led them up to the Ogden Valley location west of Powder Mountain Road near Wolf Canyon Trail. The sheriff's office is not commenting on exactly what led them to this location or where the information came from, but have confirmed the area is now considered a crime scene.

"We're treating this as a crime scene," Howell said. "I think this is being treated very, very carefully with regard to evidence."

Howell says detectives are gathering evidence at several sites about 100 yards off the Wolf Canyon trailhead on the way to Powder Mountain ski area. He wouldn't say what kind of evidence was being gathered.

When asked if they had found a body, Howell replied, "I can't say that anything has been found at this point."

A command post was set up in the area, and one canopy set up by police could be seen from the road.

There are five crime scene investigators as well as investigators from Weber County and Layton Police searching the area. The medical examiner is also on the scene.

Detectives are searching an area that Howell described as rugged, muddy and wet.

Around 5 p.m. investigators carried something off the mountain. The Associated Press reports officers were seen carrying a blue bag off the mountain, though it's unclear what that may be at this point. Authorities are not commenting on whether they have found anything.

Activity has been going on at the location since about 12:30 Tuesday afternoon and that may continue Wednesday.

"I can't say how long we're going to be here. Right now they're in the active searching phase for evidence. That may take a couple hours. That may take three or four hours or longer," Howell said. "Given the inclement weather it may take longer than today. They may have to return."

Officers continue presence at apartment complex

Even though the search has been called off at the Layton Meadows apartment complex where the boy lives, as of Tuesday afternoon there was still a scene there.

Layton police officers and Davis County investigators have been in and out of the apartment, just north of the Layton Hills Mall. Before 4 p.m. Tuesday, a Davis County investigator carrying a crime lab briefcase entered the apartment, though the investigator would not confirm what he was doing at that location.

Several neighbors say they are familiar with the family, but they are brand new to the complex. One neighbor said they aren't very social or talkative, and the 4-year-old boy hasn't approached anyone in the neighborhood either.

Many neighbors didn't even know the names of the family.

"I couldn't say I really have an impression of them, because I don't know who the mother is," one neighbor said. "I've only talked to the boy a couple of times, and he's kind of quiet and distant, you know, to himself. He doesn't like to say much."

Officers had earlier searched the apartment grounds and checked every apartment, looking in wash washers, dryers, cabinets and closets.

Police say the boy has no history of mental illness. The mother says he's had a tough time adjusting to new living arrangements for the summer.

Subject: Re: What the hell is wrong with people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/10 at 11:48 pm

Why is the stepfather now being charged with "aggravated homicide."  It sounds more like negligent manslaughter for the reason those two slobs didn't have the wherewithal to keep the kid from wandering out of the apartment at night.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/12/10 at 12:36 am

Why is the stepfather now being charged with "aggravated homicide."  It sounds more like negligent manslaughter for the reason those two slobs didn't have the wherewithal to keep the kid from wandering out of the apartment at night.

The wandering off story was a cover.  They found the body a good 15 miles or more away from the apartment, no way the little boy walked there in less than a day.  Plus the mom and step dad told them where to find him. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/10 at 1:30 am

The wandering off story was a cover.  They found the body a good 15 miles or more away from the apartment, no way the little boy walked there in less than a day.  Plus the mom and step dad told them where to find him. 

I see...that was staring me right in the face and I missed it!  That poor little boy.  Those two Merrie Melodies ought to be locked up for good.  Crazy+stupid=dangerous.  They did that kid in, and for what?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

Written By: Frank on 05/12/10 at 12:59 pm

This is a story that has been ongoing all day today.  What the hell is wrong with people?  How could you murder your own baby?  You hear this kind of story all the time but it still floors me every time.

I fully believe that there is a special place in Hell for people who do this.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=10728945

Yuck. Terrible.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/13/10 at 6:28 pm

It's just heartbreaking.  I feel so bad for his biological father.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/13/10 at 6:39 pm

It's just heartbreaking.  I feel so bad for his biological father.

I know.  I have to turn off the news when they start talking about it.  It's unbelievable that someone would let this happen to her own son.

Written By: lola669 on 05/14/10 at 7:31 am

So sad. 

The little boy and his father recently moved back to Virginia, not too far from where I live.  I had no idea. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/21/10 at 9:21 pm

Hearing about stuff like this literally makes me sick. I honestly do not know how anyone could ever even think of doing this, but I agree Dagny....they will have a "special" place in Hell reserved for them, I'm sure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/10 at 11:07 pm

At least they didn't bury the bones up in Baxter State Park, and 8-hour drive from Boston!
::)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/10 at 6:53 am

Disgusting.  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...