inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have you ever done something so stupid that was uncharacteristic of yourself?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 1:14 am

lol yeah I (obviously) had a little trouble coming up with a title for this thread...  :-\\

Have you ever had a "brain fart" and just did something totally out of character and opposite of what your common sense tells you to do?

Today was one of my occasions.

I felt really good (and energetic) (the first time in a long time) so after my surgeon's office appointment, I decided to get my hair done and do a little shopping at the dollar store.  All went well (although everything I did today took at least double the normal amount of time it should have taken, but I digress) until I went to check out at the dollar store.  I used my debit card, put in my pin number and it was wrong.  EEEK!  I had no cash (wasn't really planning on shopping, but felt well enough to walk around the store.)  I tried again, still wrong number.  I, for the life of me, can't remember my right pin number.  I know the clerk had to think I was trying to use a stolen card.  SO embarrassing.  She let me use the card as a credit card (I offered to show her my driver's license) but it was still rather embarrassing.  I NEVER forget my pin.  It wasn't until I sat in my hot car a little bit flustered that I finally remembered that we had our debit cards electronically stolen (no idea how that happened) in March and when we got new cards, I changed my pin.  I finally remembered my pin.

I like to pride myself in remembering all my passwords and pins and everything.  So, what might not be seen as such a terrible thing to the average person, was really something that threw me for a loop today.  I guess it could have been worse, I could have forgotten how to drive, I guess.  lol

Subject: Re: Have you ever done something so stupid that was uncharacteristic of yourself?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/10 at 4:13 am

That happens to me alot, pins and passwords and stuff. It gets worse as you get older.

Subject: Re: Have you ever done something so stupid that was uncharacteristic of yourself?

Written By: ADH13 on 08/20/10 at 9:57 am

Got in the shower and forgot to take off my watch.  I thought for sure it was a goner. :-[

Somehow I got lucky and it still works.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 11:12 am

I was working and the officers were slamming me with stops. Each vehicle stopped needs to be run to be sure it's not stolen.

Usually stops take 2-10 mins warning vs ticket.

On this night they were stopping them for 30 secs I'm fast and can usually get it all done in that time frame tho that's a lot of work for dispatch
Prob was- the program I had to run cars thru was acting up. It was slow loading by the time I got one entered the cops were on number three.

I got frustrated and wanted to tell them to slow down because cletswas not cooperating. But I couldn't remember the word cooperating.

Once we key the mike we are supposed to speak clear concise thoughts. No ums and ahs and no long pauses. If we need to stop were supposed to say break or standby. Then father our thoughts. I was had said said clets is when I realized realized I couldn't think of the word cooperating  but I didn't want to break the radio transmission so I said-w/o missing a beat. Clets is intolerant of use-  they gave me crap about that for a week. Lol

Written By: lola669 on 08/20/10 at 11:43 am

I have 2 kids, my daughter was born on 12/1/2000 and my son on 1/2/2004.

One day we were at the Dr.'s office and the nurse asked me what my daughter's birthdate was and I said 12/2.  My daughter looked at me and said "My birthday is not on the 2nd, it's the 1st.".  I felt like a fool, how could a mother forget her own child's birthdate?  :-[  ;D

(My niece is born on 9/2 and once I called her on 9/1 to say happy birthday.  :D )

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/20/10 at 12:01 pm

When Carlos first asked me out, I was going to give him my phone number and I totally went blank!  :o :o :o  Here I thought that he was going to think that I was a total airhead because I couldn't remember my own phone number. When I told him what town, he gave me the exchange and that triggered it. I felt so stupid.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 1:52 pm

When Carlos first asked me out, I was going to give him my phone number and I totally went blank!  :o :o :o  Here I thought that he was going to think that I was a total airhead because I couldn't remember my own phone number. When I told him what town, he gave me the exchange and that triggered it. I felt so stupid.

Cat

I have my phone number taped to the back of my cell phone because I can only remember my phone number about 75% of the time.  I DO remember my old cell number from years ago and have to pause every time to make sure that's not the number I'm giving out.  ::)

I'm always a little paranoid about forgetting things because my mom is in the beginning stage of Alzheimers Disease and I can see what she's going through even now at the beginning.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/21/10 at 9:08 am

A couple days ago I did some "unintentional urban landscaping" with my truck.

Which basically means I got my trailer hung up on a tree and ended up ripping a huge branch off it. The tree, however, was not on private property, it was 5 AM so no one actually saw me do it (plus I was in a bad neighborhood so I really didn't want to stick around anyway), and it caused relatively minor damage to a trailer that was already beat to hell anyway, so no harm, no foul.  8)

However, not to toot my own horn or anything but I'm a lot better than that.  :-\\

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/21/10 at 11:47 am

One day we were at the Dr.'s office and the nurse asked me what my daughter's birthdate was and I said 12/2.  My daughter looked at me and said "My birthday is not on the 2nd, it's the 1st.".  I felt like a fool, how could a mother forget her own child's birthdate?   :-[  ;D

(My niece is born on 9/2 and once I called her on 9/1 to say happy birthday.  :D )

My parents completely forgot my little brother's birthday one year when we were little.  Mind you that it does happen to fall at a busy time of year when school is just getting started and everything is still a little crazy and routine hasn't really kicked in yet, but still.  It wasn't until a week after that mom remembered and we had a family party and cake and everything.  Mom always sends my birthday card a week after, not really that big of a deal, and I've inherited the trait of not getting my act together in time and usually missing sending cards on time (if at all.)  :-[ 

Written By: karen on 08/21/10 at 1:58 pm

One day we were at the Dr.'s office and the nurse asked me what my daughter's birthdate was and I said 12/2.  My daughter looked at me and said "My birthday is not on the 2nd, it's the 1st.".  I felt like a fool, how could a mother forget her own child's birthdate?   :-[  ;D

I can never remember the year my son was born - I always have to calculate it by his age!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/22/10 at 4:48 am

My parents completely forgot my little brother's birthday one year when we were little.  Mind you that it does happen to fall at a busy time of year when school is just getting started and everything is still a little crazy and routine hasn't really kicked in yet, but still.  It wasn't until a week after that mom remembered and we had a family party and cake and everything.   Mom always sends my birthday card a week after, not really that big of a deal, and I've inherited the trait of not getting my act together in time and usually missing sending cards on time (if at all.)   :-[ 

Now wait... that is a bit weird. It is one thing if it is a friend, but you don't do that to your kids. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/10 at 11:45 am

My parents completely forgot my little brother's birthday one year when we were little.  Mind you that it does happen to fall at a busy time of year when school is just getting started and everything is still a little crazy and routine hasn't really kicked in yet, but still.  It wasn't until a week after that mom remembered and we had a family party and cake and everything.   Mom always sends my birthday card a week after, not really that big of a deal, and I've inherited the trait of not getting my act together in time and usually missing sending cards on time (if at all.)   :-[ 

Carlos once forgot one of his daughter's birthday. She was in her 20s and was already on her own. But she got back at him a few years later because she forgot his. Now that I am around, he won't forget ANY of his kids/grandkids birthdays.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/22/10 at 4:11 pm

Now wait... that is a bit weird. It is one thing if it is a friend, but you don't do that to your kids. 

Birthdays and holidays aren't usually big events in our family, not for any real reason (I know some religions don't celebrate holidays for various reasons), and that isn't our family's reason...I guess we just don't bother.  I do remember having friends over for cake and ice cream a couple times as a kid, but not the type of party where you rent a clown or whatever... unless that mostly happens just in movies.  :-\\ ;D

Usually the birthday boy/girl would get to pick a restaurant for the family to have dinner at.  Thankfully they never let the restaurant staff know so the wait staff had to come out and sing.  I think that's a little cheesy...

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/22/10 at 8:58 pm

I am sure I have, too numerous and tooo often to remember  :P

Oh yah - I forgot to pay for gas, and drove away.  Local station, I normally pay at the pump.  I got out my card, I got the hose and flipped the lever like I always do first.  Someone started talking to me.  I talked to them, gas was pumping.  Finished conversation, put gas cap back on and then got in my vehicle.  Put my card away, and drove off.  Few hours later, county sheriffs deputy knocked on my door and asked me if I forgot something. ???

Written By: Davester on 08/24/10 at 12:32 am

Yeah, around a year ago, while unloading a rail car I forgot to open the product valve before the air valve and ended-up choking the line.  Took me all day to unclog the line.  ALL day.  Eight hours.  Among my strengths at work is order, organization and precision with a near military-style attention to detail.  As book put it, just a brain fart.  I ask myself, "How in hell could I have done that.?!"

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/10 at 1:54 pm

I do stupid things all the time.  Every day.  So nothing I do would be uncharacteristic of me!  ::) ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/10 at 2:47 pm

I do stupid things all the time.  Every day.  So nothing I do would be uncharacteristic of me!   ::) ;)

I was looking for the like button then I remembered.... this isn't facebook....

Boy did I just do a doozy....

I went walking with my captain... I know, I walked... for like an hour... but that's not the point... anyway- she is on her second day back from reconstructive surgery.... I spent the last few minutes of our walk complaining about my annoying large boobs and how they are always in the way  :-[    I sort of wasn't really thinking obviously.... 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/10 at 4:16 pm

Boy did I just do a doozy....

I went walking with my captain... I know, I walked... for like an hour... but that's not the point... anyway- she is on her second day back from reconstructive surgery.... I spent the last few minutes of our walk complaining about my annoying large boobs and how they are always in the way  :-[    I sort of wasn't really thinking obviously.... 

;D ;D  Well your boobs ARE gigantic! 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/24/10 at 6:02 pm

I ordered Fios cable and internet the other day when a salesman came to our door.  Tons of paperwork and stuff to fill out, my hubby called me by my maiden name (and we've been married 7 1/2 years now.)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/24/10 at 6:43 pm

How would you know that?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/10 at 8:41 pm

I know... annoyingly so!  :P  but hers are gone bye bye....it just felt insensitive

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/10 at 8:43 pm

How would you know that?  ::)

because she's seen them  :P

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26405_844957905457_3623089_47195353_3054268_n.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 11:49 pm

Well, let's see, I was drunk, stoned, and on speed while I drove down the Shutesbury S-curves, which are dangerous if you are stone cold sober on a clear day.  I was driving at night when they were covered with ice.  I was hanging out with my friend who was a bad influence.  He was on the manic phase of a bipolar episode...and I was bored, looking for cheap thrills.  Dangerous, dumb, irresponsible thrills more like it!
::)

The same week we were smoking a joint directly across the street from a patrolman.  Maybe the cop was distracted. All the bars let out at the same time and streets of Northampton are cluttered with drunks!  But I could have gotten cuffed with my manic friend and taken downtown!

Very, very baaaad idea!  We didn't get caught but I think I had to hand in my last "Good Luck" coupon for life.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign12.gif

Written By: Howard on 08/25/10 at 6:42 am

because she's seen them  :P

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs482.ash1/26405_844957905457_3623089_47195353_3054268_n.jpg

Wow,that's Tina Fey. :o

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/25/10 at 9:03 am

Actually it's Megan Mullally.  And she's itsy bitsy. 

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/10 at 10:17 am

yeah she is... 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/25/10 at 12:46 pm

No, that's Ash & Q.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/10 at 12:48 pm

No, that's Ash & Q.

Cat

;D

Written By: Howard on 08/25/10 at 6:44 pm

Wow,whatever happened to her?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/10 at 7:33 pm

Holy moly...that's rack-tastic!!!  :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/10 at 9:00 pm

Wow,whatever happened to her?

she's on a tv show called Party Down.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/25/10 at 7:52 pm

LOL.... where do I begin?

Written By: snozberries on 11/25/10 at 9:07 pm

LOL.... where do I begin?

;D karma

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/10 at 10:19 pm

As others here have said, I do plenty of stupid things but they're all characteristic of the stupid things I do.

Well, if you know they're stupid, why do you do them?

That question answers itself.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rolleyes.gif

Written By: wildcard on 01/17/11 at 10:33 pm

How can I possibly do anything so stupid that it is uncharacteristic of me ?     

Written By: 80sfan on 01/21/11 at 7:53 pm

:(

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/26/11 at 1:10 pm

I do so much stupid stuff, I think it's considered "characteristic" now ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/26/11 at 1:11 pm

"Karma" ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/26/11 at 1:54 pm

I do so much stupid stuff, I think it's considered "characteristic" now ;)

I do stupid things myself too.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/26/11 at 6:51 pm

Well, let's see, I was drunk, stoned, and on speed while I drove down the Shutesbury S-curves, which are dangerous if you are stone cold sober on a clear day.   I was driving at night when they were covered with ice.  I was hanging out with my friend who was a bad influence.  He was on the manic phase of a bipolar episode...and I was bored, looking for cheap thrills.  Dangerous, dumb, irresponsible thrills more like it!
::)

The same week we were smoking a joint directly across the street from a patrolman.  Maybe the cop was distracted. All the bars let out at the same time and streets of Northampton are cluttered with drunks!  But I could have gotten cuffed with my manic friend and taken downtown!

Very, very baaaad idea!  We didn't get caught but I think I had to hand in my last "Good Luck" coupon for life.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign12.gif

LOL, Karma!!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...