inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: War on Science: Random Updates from the Front

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/10 at 2:30 am

Not sure where the original was, but I'll substitute this as our official War on Science thread, albeit several years too late:

Here's the latest lunacy.  I wish I was joking, but our self-appointed guardians of safety have now deemed paperclips and rulers too hazardous to be included in science kits without further testing.

If anyone wonders why the Japanese are kicking our ass in miniaturization, the Chinese are kicking our ass in production, and the former Soviet republics are kicking our ass in hacking, our wholesale abandonment of anything that might lead a kid to a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) career instead of a "safe" jobs like "guy who flips burgers", or "guy who writes papers about the efficiacy of the guy in India who flips the burgers before they get shipped over here via teleporter", is part of the problem.

Every time I try to imagine that I live in the future, I'm reminded that it's an idiocracy beyond even the wildest fantasies of Diana Moon Glampers.

Subject: Re: War on Science: Random Updates from the Front

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/10 at 2:45 am

Truth is we are getting our asses kicked by just about everyone everywhere in every area. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/30/10 at 9:58 am

I remember reading Harrison Bergeron in sixth grade and thinking "oh that could never happen."

It's totally happening.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/10 at 12:42 am

Not sure where the original was, but I'll substitute this as our official War on Science thread, albeit several years too late:

Here's the latest lunacy.  I wish I was joking, but our self-appointed guardians of safety have now deemed paperclips and rulers too hazardous to be included in science kits without further testing.

If anyone wonders why the Japanese are kicking our ass in miniaturization, the Chinese are kicking our ass in production, and the former Soviet republics are kicking our ass in hacking, our wholesale abandonment of anything that might lead a kid to a STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) career instead of a "safe" jobs like "guy who flips burgers", or "guy who writes papers about the efficiacy of the guy in India who flips the burgers before they get shipped over here via teleporter", is part of the problem.

Every time I try to imagine that I live in the future, I'm reminded that it's an idiocracy beyond even the wildest fantasies of Diana Moon Glampers.

Pain and injury was just part of being a kid.  It teaches you a lot about the physical world and your limits in it.  It burns like crazy when you get melted plastic on your hand.  Pavement is very hard and unyielding compared to your skull when you fly over the handlebars of your bike.  If you go without air for a short amount of time, you pass out!  The parents for the last generation have been obsessed with their kids living in a soft bubble all their lives.  Then you give the kid a Corvette for his high school graduation.  He gets loaded and drives the roadster pell-mell into a utility pole.  Code blue.  Why?  Because he didn't understand the physical world and his limits in it because you never turned him loose in it before!

In other words, a front in the war on science is the replacement of the physical world with the virtual world.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign12.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...