inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why Do Smart, Independent Women Scare People?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/10 at 3:47 pm

Last night while we were watching Rachel Maddow, she was interviewing Megan McCain. Megan was saying how people would call her names & such. I remarked that I think she is smart woman and smart & independent women who speak their minds tend to scare people-just like Rachel (who is also VERY smart). Then I started thinking of smart women and it seems to be true. Besides Megan & Rachel, there is also:

-Hillary Clinton
-Whoopi Goldberg
-Condi Rice
-Gloria Steinem
-Oprah Winfrey
-Barbara Walters
-Jane Fonda
-Margaret Thatcher

(...and many others)

I'm sure any one of those scares the bejesus out of people.

My question is WHY are people scared of smart, independent women? Why do they prefer women who are ignorant/stupid. Like:

-Sarah Palin
-Paris Hilton
-Lindsay Lohan
-Ann Coulter
-Carrie Prejean

(...and the list goes on)

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Subject: Re: Why Do Smart, Independent Women Scare People?

Written By: loki 13 on 10/19/10 at 6:41 pm

I can only answer from a male point of view but I think the male ego won't allow them to be upstaged by a mere woman.
it's a primal way of thinking that if a woman makes us look stupid we are less of a man. No matter how little we know, there
will always be a bimbo around that we can idolize so we appear smarter by comparison.

I am not a typical male, I prefer the smart, independent women. I realized a long time ago that it is the woman who controls
everything. Women quitely run the planet, they just let men think they do. How many people really think Bill Clinton ran the
Country? How many wars were there between two nations with female rulers? If people would just get of the silly idea that
women belong in the backround, realize their fears are unfounded, this world would be all the better for it.

Written By: Frank on 10/19/10 at 11:33 pm

I've never met one before, so I guess I have never been scared by them yet.  :D

(something gibbo would write, I suppose)

Written By: Howard on 10/20/10 at 7:28 am

Maybe us guys like women who are below us (intelligently),I don't want to meet a woman who is smarter than me,she'll make me feel like a jackass.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/20/10 at 11:24 am

I think Loki has it basically right.  The male ego is fairly fragile, I think, for several reasons.  Many men are losing ground, have little opportunity, and little chance for much in life, so they take it out on women.  There is also a long cultural tradition of patriarchy which comes into play.  For me, though, I like my women just like my coffee, strong, dark, and sweet - AND intelligent.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/10 at 11:26 am

I've never met one before, so I guess I have never been scared by them yet.   :D

(something gibbo would write, I suppose)

I'm telling your wife you said that.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/10 at 1:08 pm

loki nailed it... the frail male ego can't handle not having "control" over his woman... not all men thankfully! but a significant number of them. enough of them to make this an issue!

Written By: Howard on 10/20/10 at 1:19 pm

I remember dating a woman a few years ago,she was somewhat smart,pretty intelligent but yet had a disability like I have.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/10 at 1:20 pm

loki nailed it... the frail male ego can't handle not having "control" over his woman... not all men thankfully! but a significant number of them. enough of them to make this an issue!

But then she'll make me feel like a moron which I don't want that.

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/10 at 1:26 pm

But then she'll make me feel like a moron which I don't want that.

Just because she's smarter doesn't mean she'd make you feel like a moron.  I think you would let yourself feel like a moron and that's your problem not hers.....

Written By: Howard on 10/20/10 at 2:11 pm

Just because she's smarter doesn't mean she'd make you feel like a moron.  I think you would let yourself feel like a moron and that's your problem not hers.....

It Is.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/20/10 at 3:29 pm

In a word, we are considered "bitches"  Many will wax philosophical in when the remember a mother or grandmother who was "a tough old bird" and get teary eyed at how she overcame adversity through "strength of character" but they don't want to see it outside of the house.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/10 at 3:58 pm

In a word, we are considered "bitches"  Many will wax philosophical in when the remember a mother or grandmother who was "a tough old bird" and get teary eyed at how she overcame adversity through "strength of character" but they don't want to see it outside of the house.

Or the Senate?  ;)

Cat

Written By: Frank on 10/20/10 at 4:50 pm

I'm OK with it, no problem for me. At Church I am always the one selected to talk to the perceived tough women, at work too. I don't mind. I'm pretty easy going. But I talk back if insulted. I come to women...unafraid.  (looks around both sides, makes sure no one heard it)

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/10 at 8:17 pm

I'm OK with it, no problem for me. At Church I am always the one selected to talk to the perceived tough women, at work too. I don't mind. I'm pretty easy going. But I talk back if insulted. I come to women...unafraid.  (looks around both sides, makes sure no one heard it)

uh huh....  ::) :P

Written By: Howard on 10/21/10 at 7:03 am

I scare women,women don't scare me. :P

Written By: Frank on 10/21/10 at 10:54 am

uh huh....  ::) :P

I think the only woman in politics or on TV that scared me a little was Susan Powter.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/10 at 7:09 pm

I think the only woman in politics or on TV that scared me a little was Susan Powter.

She scared me too.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/21/10 at 9:31 pm

I found her strangely attractive.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/10 at 10:44 pm

My question is WHY are people scared of smart, independent women? Why do they prefer women who are ignorant/stupid.

For the same reason that Rush Limbaugh/Michael Moore have more male fans than William Buckley/Al Gore.

It's got nothing to do with the shape of anyone's gentalia, it's got to do with pack hierarchy.  We all feel somewhat threatened by those of higher status than us.  But a big fat dude who talks like "us" and isn't all about being a political wonk, now there's something to which the common man can relate!

In a pack of males, high status is demonstrated by kicking the asses of his male companions, not by all that book-learnin' stuff.  Hence, Rush/Moore over Buckley/Gore.

In a pack of females, high status is demonstrated by being better at attracting a mate than her friends, not by actually accomplishing anything that doesn't involve shoes.  Hence Palin/kissing-each-other-in-bars-as-sexual-liberation (I tried to find a left-wing example, honest!) over the comparatively asexual Rice/Clinton.

We're monkeys.  Barely made it down from the trees.  Just last weekend learned to bang the rocks together to make fire.  Whaddya expect?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/10 at 10:52 pm

In a word, we are considered "bitches"  Many will wax philosophical in when the remember a mother or grandmother who was "a tough old bird" and get teary eyed at how she overcame adversity through "strength of character" but they don't want to see it outside of the house.

Sounds like my old man.  He was a consummate misogynist.  He resented having to compete with them in his career.  He found assertive women very threatening as peers.  He used to flirt with waitresses.  I noticed that early on.  They were pretty girls there to wait on him, after all.  He spoke glowingly of the saintly tough-love old nun who looked out for him in the fifth grade.

BUT show him a 40-year-old feminist on tenure track, and he'd go on a heluva male chauvinist rant about "crazy ball-breaking bra burners" for an hour!
::)

So to all you b*tches and all you ho's, hear me out:

If you show us you're smarter than us; If you show us you're more competent, we might turn into frightened little boys and run home to mommy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/crybaby2.gif

Written By: Frank on 10/21/10 at 11:59 pm

I found her strangely attractive.

What was it about her you found attractive? (just curious)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/22/10 at 12:21 am

So to all you b*tches and all you ho's

...let's have group sex, and do the Rambone!  (2 Live Crew, from the 1986 album Is What We Are, time reference 1:10.)

Seriously, Max.  2 Live Crew references?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezc_w44BrY4

Lyrics NSFW.  Graphics SFW, not safe for sanity. 

Yes, it's the entire track, uncensored, but performed entirely by lolcats.  (What did you think the song was about?)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/10 at 6:54 am

...let's have group sex, and do the Rambone!   (2 Live Crew, from the 1986 album Is What We Are, time reference 1:10.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezc_w44BrY4

Lyrics NSFW.  Graphics SFW, not safe for sanity. 

Yes, it's the entire track, uncensored, but performed entirely by lolcats.  (What did you think the song was about?)

women's genatalia.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/10 at 6:56 am

If you show us you're smarter than us; If you show us you're more competent, we might turn into frightened little boys and run home to mommy!

or our ex grilfriends. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/22/10 at 2:25 pm

They scare me?  ??? :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/22/10 at 7:25 pm

Last night while we were watching Rachel Maddow, she was interviewing Megan McCain. Megan was saying how people would call her names & such. I remarked that I think she is smart woman and smart & independent women who speak their minds tend to scare people-just like Rachel (who is also VERY smart). Then I started thinking of smart women and it seems to be true. Besides Megan & Rachel, there is also:

-Hillary Clinton
-Whoopi Goldberg
-Condi Rice
-Gloria Steinem
-Oprah Winfrey
-Barbara Walters
-Jane Fonda
-Margaret Thatcher

(...and many others)

I'm sure any one of those scares the bejesus out of people.

My question is WHY are people scared of smart, independent women? Why do they prefer women who are ignorant/stupid. Like:

-Sarah Palin
-Paris Hilton
-Lindsay Lohan
-Ann Coulter
-Carrie Prejean

(...and the list goes on)

Thoughts? Comments?

Cat

Well first of all, who exactly "prefers" the second group over the first?  I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of people think Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan are complete jokes.  And as far as Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter and Carrie Prejean go, I don't think they're ignorant/stupid, they just happen to have political views which with you disagree.

The problem with this thread is that it works under the assumption that being "smart and independent" also means being basically good and decent. Take Ann Coulter for example. She could definitely be considered independent and I certainly wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating her intelligence. Yet she's cold-hearted and devious and manipulative and maybe a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

There are plenty of smart and independent women out there who are also just plain mean and cruel.  And you SHOULD be scared of them.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 10/22/10 at 8:24 pm

They scare me?  ??? :D

In what way?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/10 at 9:57 pm

...let's have group sex, and do the Rambone!   (2 Live Crew, from the 1986 album Is What We Are, time reference 1:10.)

Yup, dat be da one!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Written By: Step-chan on 10/23/10 at 5:01 pm

In what way?

I was jokingly asking, not stating.

Palin and Coulter do scare me, heaven forbid either of them become president.

Written By: Howard on 10/23/10 at 8:15 pm

sexy women frighten me!

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/10 at 8:48 pm

sexy breathing women frighten me!

fixt  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/23/10 at 8:57 pm

You didn't have to do that!  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/10 at 9:01 pm

honestly I did... I couldn't help myself!  ;D  but I gave ya karma!  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/10 at 9:35 pm

sexybreathing women frighten me!

No, now it's fixt.

But I did :)

Written By: snozberries on 10/23/10 at 9:42 pm

No, now it's fixt.

;D

Written By: Frank on 10/23/10 at 10:53 pm

No, now it's fixt.

;D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/10 at 10:59 pm

Well first of all, who exactly "prefers" the second group over the first?  I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of people think Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan are complete jokes.  And as far as Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter and Carrie Prejean go, I don't think they're ignorant/stupid, they just happen to have political views which with you disagree.

The problem with this thread is that it works under the assumption that being "smart and independent" also means being basically good and decent. Take Ann Coulter for example. She could definitely be considered independent and I certainly wouldn't make the mistake of underestimating her intelligence. Yet she's cold-hearted and devious and manipulative and maybe a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

There are plenty of smart and independent women out there who are also just plain mean and cruel.  And you SHOULD be scared of them.  :o :o :o

You get karma for this.

I'm gonna have to agree with Al here.  I don't think there are very many people who really think that Ann Coulter is an all around great gal.  And the ones who do probably aren't going to be taken seriously by society as a whole.

If people are threatened by smart independent women, it's says a lot more about their characters (or lack thereof)  than it does about the women that intimidate them.  ;)  A real man wants an equal, not a plaything.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/23/10 at 11:03 pm

What was it about her you found attractive? (just curious)

You know, I can't say.  I was actually thinking about this earlier today.  I was pretty young when she came around - maybe 6th or 7th grade, and I don't think I was very in touch with my sexuality at the time, but she really was quite beautiful, but had such a masculine air about her at the same time.  Something about those lipsticked lips barking out orders - at least that's what I think of now.  I just know that she is the very first woman I have ever been acutely aware of being attracted to. 

Written By: Frank on 10/23/10 at 11:08 pm

You know, I can't say.  I was actually thinking about this earlier today.  I was pretty young when she came around - maybe 6th or 7th grade, and I don't think I was very in touch with my sexuality at the time, but she really was quite beautiful, but had such a masculine air about her at the same time.  Something about those lipsticked lips barking out orders - at least that's what I think of now.  I just know that she is the very first woman I have ever been acutely aware of being attracted to. 

Thanks for letting me know.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/24/10 at 6:57 am

No, now it's fixt.

Jeez!  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/24/10 at 2:51 pm

You get karma for this.

I'm gonna have to agree with Al here.  I don't think there are very many people who really think that Ann Coulter is an all around great gal.  And the ones who do probably aren't going to be taken seriously by society as a whole.

If people are threatened by smart independent women, it's says a lot more about their characters (or lack thereof)  than it does about the women that intimidate them.   ;)  A real man wants an equal, not a plaything.

I disagree with Al on one thing... Sarah Palin is indeed a stupid woman whose politics I do not agree with....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/10 at 3:24 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/20/opinion/20dowd.html?_r=1&ref=maureendowd

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 4:49 pm

Interesting topic, Cat. I think a lot of the women you mentioned in your list are scary because most are/were in a position of power. It doesn't matter what sex you are, if you are in a position of power you are scary. Another thing, being a housewife does seem to be frowned upon these days. I don't believe it is wrong for a woman to be a traditional housewife if it is of her own choosing.

I can only answer from a male point of view but I think the male ego won't allow them to be upstaged by a mere woman.
it's a primal way of thinking that if a woman makes us look stupid we are less of a man. No matter how little we know, there
will always be a bimbo around that we can idolize so we appear smarter by comparison.

It's good reasoning, Loki, and for some of the part I agree with you. I don't think it's intelligence that scares a man, I think it's the independence (whether that be emotional or otherwise). Men are scared of intelligence because it often leads to independence. A man primally is a provider, dominant and takes control. If a sister is doing it for herself then he isn't providing, dominant or in control and it can scare even the most strong-minded of men if they have a fixed view of gender roles.

I am not a typical male, I prefer the smart, independent women. I realized a long time ago that it is the woman who controls
everything. Women quitely run the planet, they just let men think they do. How many people really think Bill Clinton ran the
Country? How many wars were there between two nations with female rulers? If people would just get of the silly idea that
women belong in the backround, realize their fears are unfounded, this world would be all the better for it.

Deep down, I think most men prefer smart and independent women (seductive women are often both of these qualities). I think the 'faulty wiring' in a lot of men's brains is that they equate smart and independent as disloyal. If a woman is smart and independent, in his eyes, she has the freedom of thought/choice and will to do whatever she pleases whether that includes him in the picture or not.

I don't know many female leaders in the world, but as for them having wars I know Margaret Thatcher was heavily involved in The Falklands War so I believe your statement is yet to be proven true or false there, lol. I think women have as much potential to be ruthless (in fact, in a lot of cases moreso) than men, they were just not put in a position to be that way. This isn't an insult to women just merely stating things as they are.

Written By: Step-chan on 10/24/10 at 5:26 pm

I disagree with Al on one thing... Sarah Palin is indeed a stupid woman whose politics I do not agree with....

O0

Written By: Tam on 10/25/10 at 9:30 pm

karma +1 8)

Written By: tv on 01/28/11 at 4:59 pm

I'm with you on that Howard!

Written By: tv on 01/28/11 at 5:02 pm

You get karma for this.

If people are threatened by smart independent women, it's says a lot more about their characters (or lack thereof)  than it does about the women that intimidate them.   ;)  A real man wants an equal, not a plaything.
Ann Coulter is kinda funny but not the best political commentator.

Written By: tv on 01/28/11 at 5:08 pm

Do you still find her attractive now?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/28/11 at 5:32 pm

Ann Coulter is a first class liar and a first class moron.  Like the old lawyers adage says,  "If the facts are on your side argue the facts, if the law is on your side, argue the law.  If neither are on your side, lie through your teeth.  That's Ann Coulter

Written By: snozberries on 01/28/11 at 5:45 pm

well you got that half right!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/28/11 at 6:36 pm

I think a strong woman does scare people, even women!

It's been a tradition in our human history for so long for woman to be somewhat co-dependent on the man and the tradition of letting the man lead and be in control that's it's hard to let go. You can't let something go that easily when it's been in our human culture for thousands of years!

For you strong woman out there; keep opening doors for other woman! But I think that the tradition of men wanting to be in control will never go away completely.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/11 at 8:09 pm

well you got that half right!  ;D

must be my gorgeous looks and handsome face.

Written By: snozberries on 01/28/11 at 8:45 pm

must be my gorgeous looks and handsome face.

not what I meant.  ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/11 at 3:12 am

Sir, you have a gift for understatement.  Jared Lee Loughner, as a guy who, when confronted with a smart independent woman, exhibited a few personality quirks?  The Grand Canyon, I presume, you'd describe as a ditch?

PROTIP: You'll have to play a little bit of Mad Libs (heh), but if you google "I (verb)ed Ann Coulter in the (totem animal for the Democratic Party), Hard", and you choose the correct verb and word that's slang for a body part, you will find that a classic blogspot entry from 2005 is still alive. 

FAIRNESS DOCTRINE: "Tweaking Hard in a Motel Room with Noam Chomsky", from 2007, returns the political opposite.

Meta: Needless to say, the resulting bits of political satire are horrendously, egregiously, ridiculously, NSFW.  Not Safe For Work.  Not safe for sanity.  But you'll laugh at at least one of them.  I hope.  And if you don't laugh, we don't wanna hear what you did.  Because there's really no other alternative.

Meta-Meta: Dumb independent women scare dudes because they take everything too seriously.  Smart independent women scare everyone because they know what not to take seriously.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/11 at 7:00 am

not what I meant.  ::)

;D HA!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/11 at 7:03 pm

I think a strong woman does scare people, even women!

It's been a tradition in our human history for so long for woman to be somewhat co-dependent on the man and the tradition of letting the man lead and be in control that's it's hard to let go. You can't let something go that easily when it's been in our human culture for thousands of years!

For you strong woman out there; keep opening doors for other woman! But I think that the tradition of men wanting to be in control will never go away completely.

The history is right, to a degree, but let that be.  But history doesn't determine the future, unless we let it through our ignorance

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 6:51 am

Women who make more money than me,scare me.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/30/11 at 8:10 am

Women who make more money than me,scare me.

Doesn't that mean most women? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/11 at 9:41 am

Women who make more money than me breathe,scare me.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/30/11 at 2:16 pm

;D  Karma!

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 7:15 pm

Doesn't that mean most women? (sorry, couldn't resist)

or some women who throw job applications in my face if you know what I mean from previous posts from the past. ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/11 at 7:16 pm

Could you please stop changing my wording around. ::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/11 at 8:15 pm

fixt  :D

Speaking of previous posts from the past, you forgot the necrophilia thread.  Or there are limits of good taste beyond which you refuse to go.  

Breathing.  Picky, picky, picky.

Women whomake more money than me breathe, scare me.

Now it's fixt.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/11 at 8:28 pm

Could you please stop changing my wording around. ::)

I never changed your wording around...all the words you wrote are still there in the same order you wrote them in.  ::) :P

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 6:39 am

I never changed your wording around...all the words you wrote are still there in the same order you wrote them in.  ::) :P

But who did that?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/11 at 8:31 am

But who did that?  ???

Did what? Fixt your post? I did. But I never "changed your words around" all your words were in the same order they were in when you initially posted them.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 2:44 pm

Did what? Fixt your post? I did. But I never "changed your words around" all your words were in the same order they were in when you initially posted them.

Ok,no arguement there.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/04/11 at 7:17 pm

Ok,no arguement there.

Another example of Howard's fear of smart (and smart aleky) women - sorry Q, had to do it

Written By: snozberries on 02/04/11 at 8:22 pm

No worries. Just wish you woulda called me smart assed instead of smart alecky  :P

Notice I always win my debates with Howard. Logic is his kryptonite  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 6:57 am

No worries. Just wish you woulda called me smart assed instead of smart alecky  :P

Notice I always win my debates with Howard. Logic is his kryptonite  :D

as always. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/11 at 8:17 pm

Speaking of previous posts from the past, you forgot the necrophilia thread.  Or there are limits of good taste beyond which you refuse to go.  

Breathing.  Picky, picky, picky.

Now it's fixt.

As opposed to previous posts from the future...why will there be a necrophilia thread in the first place?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/11 at 7:54 pm

As opposed to previous posts from the future...why will there be a necrophilia thread in the first place? http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh.gif

It's not like we're pure - it was in one of those most-offensive-song-ever threads that someone played Alice Cooper, I raised Forgotten Rebels, you beat it with GG Allin, et. al. :)

For the record, Howard never actually came out and said it - but as long as we're on the subject, the resulting in-joke is kinda part of the inthe00s history.  Does anyone have a link to the thread where he said something that could kinda-sorta have been construed to imply that he wasn't... umm... picky?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/11 at 10:25 pm

It's not like we're pure - it was in one of those most-offensive-song-ever threads that someone played Alice Cooper, I raised Forgotten Rebels, you beat it with GG Allin, et. al. :)

My brother wrote the most offensive song ever written expressly for the purpose of writing the most offensive song ever written, a little rockabilly number called "Having Sex With Children is Okay."  He succeeded in offending even me.  I thought he should have been locked in a padded room for a month. 
:P

He also had one about getting sodomized by the devil, "Get Behind Me Satan"!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/11 at 10:31 pm

My brother wrote the most offensive song ever written expressly for the purpose of writing the most offensive song ever written, a little rockabilly number called "Having Sex With Children is Okay."  He succeeded in offending even me.  I thought he should have been locked in a padded room for a month. 

He also had one about getting sodomized by the devil, "Get Behind Me Satan"!

Over to the lyrics thread, STAT!

Written By: Bobby on 08/21/11 at 8:54 pm

sexy women frighten me!

Sexy women seem to frighten a lot of men too, Howard. I used to feel intimidated by 'sexy women' sometimes to the point of avoiding them altogether but that was down to fear due to ignorance. I've learnt my lesson long ago that sexy women are merely that until you get to know them. I liked this one woman once but found out very quickly that she was very stupid, almost to the point of vacuous. My mate told me she didn't know America (whether that be north or south) is a continent and that sobered me up pretty quickly, lol.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/11 at 7:06 am

Sexy women seem to frighten a lot of men too, Howard. I used to feel intimidated by 'sexy women' sometimes to the point of avoiding them altogether but that was down to fear due to ignorance. I've learnt my lesson long ago that sexy women are merely that until you get to know them. I liked this one woman once but found out very quickly that she was very stupid, almost to the point of vacuous. My mate told me she didn't know America (whether that be north or south) is a continent and that sobered me up pretty quickly, lol.

It's just that when they're too sexy you wind up speechless or if they're wearing something that's revealing you could wind up staring at their cleavage or something.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/22/11 at 8:13 am

It's just that when they're too sexy you wind up speechless or if they're wearing something that's revealing you could wind up staring at their cleavage or something.
WTH did that have to do with what Bobby said?!?!

Written By: Howard on 08/22/11 at 12:44 pm

WTH did that have to do with what Bobby said?!?!

I'm just saying that too sexy women scare me.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/11 at 2:22 pm

I'm just saying that women scare me.

Fixed.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 08/22/11 at 6:04 pm

I can understand your discomfort, Howard. One of the big things I did to get over this was to treat a woman like my little/big sister and I found that the more I got to know her as a person the less awkward I felt. My dad gave me some great advice regarding chatting to women. He said to me; "don't pretend to know everything. Ask a woman a question and usually that's the only conversation starter you'll need".  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/11 at 9:10 pm

I'm just saying

Fixed.

Now it's fixed.

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/11 at 9:36 pm

Fixed.

Cat

;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/11 at 9:38 pm

My dad gave me some great advice regarding chatting to women. He said to me; "don't pretend to know everything. Ask a woman a question and usually that's the only conversation starter you'll need".  :)

Um.....  HEY!!!!  >:(   

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/22/11 at 10:08 pm

Would you rather him looking at your cleavage???

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/11 at 10:24 pm

good point!

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/22/11 at 10:37 pm

good point!
Yep!  Just sayin...

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:10 am

I can understand your discomfort, Howard. One of the big things I did to get over this was to treat a woman like my little/big sister and I found that the more I got to know her as a person the less awkward I felt. My dad gave me some great advice regarding chatting to women. He said to me; "don't pretend to know everything. Ask a woman a question and usually that's the only conversation starter you'll need".  :)

It leaves me speechless,like the cat got your tongue kind of speechless.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:11 am

No,She would either be flattered or I would just get a big slap across the face.

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 1:14 pm

No,She would either be flattered or I would just get a big slap across the face.

Which one do you thunk would be more likely to occur?

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/23/11 at 6:49 pm

Surely the flattery and then slap and hysterical laughter  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 08/23/11 at 7:11 pm

;D

What I wrote might look like an insult but it's actually a compliment. What I was trying to say to Howard is, once he gets past the biological differences between a man and a woman, chatting with women is a piece of cake because women naturally like to communicate.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:54 pm

a slap across the mug.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:55 pm

;D

What I wrote might look like an insult but it's actually a compliment. What I was trying to say to Howard is, once he gets past the biological differences between a man and a woman, chatting with women is a piece of cake because women naturally like to communicate.  :)

some don't sometimes,most of them are just complete biotches! ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 10:21 pm

My guess is you have been unsuccessful because of this line of thought.

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 10:23 pm

Surely the flattery and then slap and hysterical laughter  ;D

No. Yes. Double Yes.

a slap across the mug.

And don't you forget it.  :P

;D

Nice save  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/11 at 11:24 pm

You'll find that stupid needy ones are far scarier!
:o

Written By: Bobby on 08/24/11 at 4:52 am

As Maxwell Smart mentioned above, it's definitely the clingy emotionally irrational ones that are scarier and I think that goes for both sexes. The view that all sexy women are b**ches is untrue, I have read that a lot of women use what is called 'b**ch shields' to protect themselves from unwanted attention because it can be a scary world for a woman where men are always hounding her, especially when they have learned that being friendly to a man gives him different signals. When a woman puts one of these up, it doesn't mean she is a b**ch, she just considers it a necessary evil.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/11 at 6:39 am

My guess is you have been unsuccessful because of this line of thought.

maybe it's just me,could be that I might be too nice when talking to women,I don't want to come across as being aggressive,I was never that way.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/11 at 6:41 am

You'll find that stupid needy ones are far scarier!
:o

"I want this I want that,I need this I need that",Oh shut up already! What am I ? made of money?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 3:03 pm

maybe it's just me,could be that I might be too nice when talking to women,I don't want to come across as being aggressive,I was never that way.

Maybe you are "too nice when talking to women".

Too bad you aren't nice when you talk ABOUT women:

"I want this I want that,I need this I need that",Oh shut up already! What am I ? made of money?  ::)

::) >:(

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/24/11 at 3:24 pm

AMEN!!!!!!!

Written By: King Tut on 08/24/11 at 3:52 pm

Far more unites men and women than divides us, but when it comes to negative stereotypes, women win hands down. Girls are "bossy" and grow into women who "nag", while boys of all ages are "authoritative" and "natural-born leaders". When men go out for a drink together it is considered positive social interaction or "networking"; when women get together they "gossip". But the stereotype that many women hate the most is "bitch". Men bitch too, of course, only in their case it is dubbed Machiavellian (with a palpable hint of respect) or they are hailed for their acerbic wit. As the actor Bette Davis once said: "When a man gives his opinion, he's a man; when a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch."

Isn't that the sad truth. :(

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/24/11 at 7:46 pm

"I want this I want that,I need this I need that",Oh shut up already! What am I ? made of money?  ::)
Geee Howard I think you were meant to be a sexy biotch!  I want to work inside, I want people to slow diwn, I want people to stop riding the bus, I want food, I want the florist to stop with her plants, I want people to slow down in the parking lot, I want people to stop parking in the parking lot, I want people to stop asking for carts ::)

Just sayin perhaps you should rethink this!  Most sexy women that I know can buy their own wants, and really detest whiners!

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 8:43 pm

Geee Howard I think you were meant to be a sexy biotch!  I want to work inside, I want people to slow diwn, I want people to stop riding the bus, I want food, I want the florist to stop with her plants, I want people to slow down in the parking lot, I want people to stop parking in the parking lot, I want people to stop asking for carts ::)

Just sayin perhaps you should rethink this!  Most sexy women that I know can buy their own wants, and really detest whiners!

You & me we're two sexy bitches.  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/24/11 at 8:47 pm

You & me we're two sexy bitches.  :D
Precisely!  Point takin O0
:D

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/11 at 4:15 am

Snoz has got you there, Howard. In order to attract the people you want to attract, you've got to go out on a limb and show interest in them. There is this mentality going about where you've got to treat a woman mean and keep her keen. I never understood it because at some point a man has got to show interest to move things on to the next stage as women rarely initiate even if they want to.

As mentioned to quite a few people here, Howard. The best thing a man can do to attract women is look after himself. Go to the gym, take up extra hobbies, go for extra duties at work, get a new wardrobe...anything that makes him feel genuinely confident and proud of himself. It's the only thing I agree with that David D'Angelo bloke who goes on the net telling people you can get women if you read his books and watch his videos. I call it loving yourself, he calls it 'your inner game'.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:13 am

It wasn't directly to you it was all the others on the street who I see everyday who think they're hot stuff and all. Please don't take it as offensive.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:15 am

;D I laughed at this,Karma.

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/11 at 11:33 am

It wasn't directly to you it was all the others on the street who I see everyday who think they're hot stuff and all. Please don't take it as offensive.

How can I not be offended when refer to women as bitches?!? Even if you don't mean me i'm still offended.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/11 at 11:54 am

i actually think it's the media, not the public at large, that love stupid, weak women. if you look at polls, people like sarah palin, paris hilton and lindsay lohan are deeply unpopular, women like maggie thatcher and hillary clinton poll much better. (i can't stand maggie thatcher, by the way, and on the other hand i think lindsay lohan has a lot of talent she's putting to waste, but never mind.) but the media constantly go over the messes and ignore the chicks who have their lives together. why? isn't it obvious? if it bleeds, it leads. if britney spears gets drunk and pilled up and comes after a car with an umbrella, that's gonna get covered. if hillary clinton successfully averts a foreign policy imbroglio with pakistan, maybe she calls a press conference and no one shows up.  ;D it sucks, but it's how it is. and i definitely think strong women get a weird vibe that strong men definitely don't, don't get me wrong, sexism isn't a myth. but there's a fairly obvious reason why the basket cases get all the press.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/25/11 at 1:13 pm

You & me we're two sexy bitches.  :D
I feel invisible  :\'(

And what if we think we're hot stuff and all? According to your statement, we're biotches...how can we NOT take offense?

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/11 at 3:35 pm

And what if we think we're hot stuff and all? According to your statement, we're biotches...how can we NOT take offense?

All my bitches are sexy bitches!!!! You included Kim!

Howard think of it like the "n" word. Only a woman can call another woman a bitch and get away with it.  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:22 pm

How can I not be offended when refer to women as bitches?!? Even if you don't mean me i'm still offended.

I'm sorry,Would karma help in this situation?  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:23 pm

I take that back.

Written By: Bobby on 08/25/11 at 7:44 pm

i actually think it's the media, not the public at large, that love stupid, weak women. if you look at polls, people like sarah palin, paris hilton and lindsay lohan are deeply unpopular, women like maggie thatcher and hillary clinton poll much better. (i can't stand maggie thatcher, by the way, and on the other hand i think lindsay lohan has a lot of talent she's putting to waste, but never mind.) but the media constantly go over the messes and ignore the chicks who have their lives together. why? isn't it obvious? if it bleeds, it leads. if britney spears gets drunk and pilled up and comes after a car with an umbrella, that's gonna get covered. if hillary clinton successfully averts a foreign policy imbroglio with pakistan, maybe she calls a press conference and no one shows up.  ;D it sucks, but it's how it is. and i definitely think strong women get a weird vibe that strong men definitely don't, don't get me wrong, sexism isn't a myth. but there's a fairly obvious reason why the basket cases get all the press.

I would take a guess that the reason why 'basket-case' celebrities take the cover of newspapers is not actually gender-specific but it's because society, in general, has a very low self-esteem and can only be massaged by observing a celebrity mess his/her life up. That way society can deal with it's own insecurities, issues and hang-ups better. Here's an example: there is a footballer in England called Ryan Giggs. He was known for a long time as the 'gentleman of football', family-orientated and all around decent bloke. He only usually appeared in the back of the papers where the sports section was if he had a particularly great game. The rumbling started when he used legislation to keep his affair with a minor celebrity called Imogen Thomas a secret. After he was exposed as a cheat he was also further exposed as having an 8 year affair with his brother's wife. You couldn't keep Giggs away from the front page of the papers for well over a month, lol. It seems negative news is good business.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/26/11 at 11:31 pm

He sure seems to act like a nice guy when it comes to women.

HBI for the win.  An HB (by the definitions of the site - read it, Nice Guys) is at least a real woman and back when I was dating, made for a far better date (and better relationship material) than an emotionally-manipulative girly-thing. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/11 at 12:47 am

I wish I was gay.  Then I wouldn't have to deal with women on an intimate level.  They really are impossible sometimes!

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 12:55 am

Maybe you and Howard should give it a go for the same reason  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 12:58 am

;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 1:03 am

^ warning. Omg. We  should post about 13 more times before Howard sees this  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 1:04 am

It's good for people to try new things. Like men trying sexual advances towards other men!

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 1:06 am

It's good for people to try new things. Like men trying sexual advances towards other men!

Once Howard sees that pic his 'judgment' will go out the window and he'll post something overtly sexual.

Probably.  :D

Written By: King Tut on 08/29/11 at 1:07 am

Howard won't read it anyhow, it doesn't have BOOBS in it.

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 1:08 am

Talking about the pic not my post.  Depending on his mood Howard will laugh at my post or get offended and post  >:( or  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 1:10 am

http://modelmejess.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/britney-and-madonna-kiss.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 1:10 am

Wait. 80sfan, Did you delete the pic?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 1:11 am

Then I reposted!  ;D

Written By: King Tut on 08/29/11 at 1:11 am

http://modelmejess.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/britney-and-madonna-kiss.jpg

Very sexy. Very hot, very cool.

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 1:12 am

Ha ha ha tryin' to make me look crazy eh? Lol

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 1:13 am

Very sexy. Very hot, very cool.

Lol King Tut.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 1:14 am

Ha ha ha tryin' to make me look crazy eh? Lol

I'm sorry. :-[

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/11 at 6:58 am

I wish I was gay.  Then I wouldn't have to deal with women on an intimate level.  They really are impossible sometimes!

From a woman's standpoint, so are men. 

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 7:07 am

Why don't you talk to Billzy?  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 7:08 am

SHUT UP!  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 7:09 am

Sorry I don't go that way I'm straight as an arrow.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 7:11 am

I didn't see anything All I saw was the word "BOBS"  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 7:12 am

So it's Brittney and Madonna kissing,big deal!

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 11:37 am

So it's Brittney and Madonna kissing,big deal!

Good response Howard you're getting better O0

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 12:33 pm

Thank You.

Written By: King Tut on 08/29/11 at 12:35 pm

Too bad I missed out on what Howard would have actually said in the past about this.

Written By: snozberries on 08/29/11 at 12:45 pm

Too bad I missed out on what Howard would have actually said in the past about this.

It would've been an inappropriate pic of some hot chick doing something inappropriate. The first person on line would've scolded him and he would have removed thepic and would have apologized and promised to never do it again. ....only to do it again.  I think he's getting better. Maybe trickles of our posts are sinking in.  ;D

Karma Howard.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 1:27 pm

you don't have to know it's between me myself and I.

Written By: Tia on 08/29/11 at 1:34 pm

It would've been an inappropriate pic of some hot chick doing something inappropriate.
http://www.inspirmotional.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/INAPPROPRIATE-inspirmotional.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/31/11 at 12:23 am

I wish I was gay.  Then I wouldn't have to deal with women on an intimate level.  They really are impossible sometimes!

Sorry I don't go that way I'm straight as an arrow.

LOL.  I last heard this track on Dr. Demento in the early 80s, back when, well, nobody really understood that who you want to boink doesn't actually matter.  

Anyways, here's Peter Alsop from before the age of video (as recorded off the air by someone too lazy to even Photoshop in an image of the guy into Youtube upload), apologizing for being Hopelessly Heterosexual.

Iguo4sFSPJo

As part of that club, I'm amazed anybody remembered that track, but the DMDB shows it appearing every few years, so I guess I'm normal (well, at least for having remembered the track) after all!

http://www.inspirmotional.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/INAPPROPRIATE-inspirmotional.jpg

Inappropriate?  Oh, I can do inappropriate!  I'm good at inappropriate!  Seeing as long as the thread's long gone off the rails and was halfway to the gay bar, gay bar, let's start a nuclear war bring the Electric Six.

hg9bfXlmIE4

Warning: Yeah, ponies.  What'd you expect at this hour?  But they're chicks, so it's more like the Britney-and-Madonna kind of gay bar.  

(Double Warning: But if that's not your thing, you can always go for the original video, featuring Abraham Lincoln and making the ponified version looking positively sane by comparison!)

Check for new replies or respond here...