inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you believe in karma?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 3:14 am

I'm more interested in what you guys think so I won't vote until at least 5 people vote!  ;)

Subject: Re: Do you believe in karma?

Written By: joeman on 12/18/10 at 11:44 am

Unsure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/10 at 5:53 pm

I can't say I believe in Karma in the religious sense, but I do believe whatever you put out into the universe comes back to you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/10 at 5:56 pm

I believe in the three-fold rule. Whatever you do will come back to you three-fold.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 6:06 pm

I believe in the three-fold rule. Whatever you do will come back to you three-fold.

Cat

That saying sounds familiar to me. I think I saw it in a movie, I think it was The Craft from 1996.  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 6:11 pm

I can't say I believe in Karma in the religious sense, but I do believe whatever you put out into the universe comes back to you.

Oh God, I hope so, there are some people who have wronged me who I hope get what they deserve. Lol. I wouldn't want something to happen to them that's so bad that they can't bounce back or that they die, but just to feel what I've been through you know?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/10 at 6:47 pm

That saying sounds familiar to me. I think I saw it in a movie, I think it was The Craft from 1996.  ???

It comes from the Wiccan Rede:

"Mind the Threefold Law you should,
Three times bad and three times good."

If you are interested in reading the entire Rede:

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/rede.htm

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 7:03 pm

Cat

I'm interested in a lot of religions or beliefs. I'll read it.

Written By: Howard on 12/18/10 at 7:17 pm

Yes I do,I believe in good karma.

Written By: gibbo on 12/18/10 at 8:00 pm

Nope...I don't believe in it. Even so, I have used the word many times jokingly...but I don't actually believe in it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 8:23 pm

Nope...I don't believe in it. Even so, I have used the word many times jokingly...but I don't actually believe in it.

I have my moments of doubts, but overall I believe in it.

To each his own I guess!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/18/10 at 10:01 pm

You're right.  After I somehow manage to claw my way back into a spot in the top quintile this year, a Democratic (!) Congress elected to MakeTheRichPay (!!) and challenged by a Republican (!!!) Congress elected on a promise to cut the deficit (!!!!) will extend the lower rates on tax rates by another two years?  Just in time for the 2012 elections?  In the month that I'm short the $USD and long commodities?  Awesome!

Seriously, I was totally not expecting that.  But I'm grateful. 

"As much as I try to avoid - a little too much schadenfreude,
To watch another's fall from grace - puts a big smile on my face.
How can it be resisted?  Something so deliciously twisted,
To watch you go, with tears in your eyes - all because of my cruel lies?

Perversity: You bring out the worst in me.
It's a curse to me - this perversity.
Perversity: I love the diversity!
I've studied at the university - of perversity.

I've tried, as hard as I can, to feel some empathy for my fellow man.
You can keep your kind of morality; it never really meant a thing to me.
So, express your degenerate ways, and celebrate, for these are deviant days,
Your normality fails to excite; don't waste your time, it'll take all night.

Perversity: I love the subversity!
I've studied at the university - of perversity...."

- Soft Cell, "Perversity", from 2003's The Night.

(Karma's a bitch?  *verb, transitive* it like one!)

Next up on the playlist: NIN, Survivalism, from 2007's Year Zero.  "All a part of this great nation..."

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/18/10 at 10:47 pm

I don't believe in it per se, but that doesn't stop me from trying to do the right and noble thing always and to treat people as I, myself, would like to be treated.  Live and let live. (and alot of other similar philosophies such as those.)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/18/10 at 11:29 pm

Yes I do,I believe in good karma.

Just curious, do you believe in 'bad' karma?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/10 at 7:03 am

What exactly is "bad" karma? ???

Written By: Obbop on 12/19/10 at 10:37 am

Well, I believe in..."... magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts..."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 1:05 am

Seriously, I was totally not expecting that.  But I'm grateful. 

"As much as I try to avoid - a little too much schadenfreude,
To watch another's fall from grace - puts a big smile on my face.
How can it be resisted?  Something so deliciously twisted,
To watch you go, with tears in your eyes - all because of my cruel lies?

Perversity: I love the diversity!
I've studied at the university - of perversity.

I've tried, as hard as I can, to feel some empathy for my fellow man.
You can keep your kind of morality; it never really meant a thing to me.
So, express your degenerate ways, and celebrate, for these are deviant days,
Your normality fails to excite; don't waste your time, it'll take all night.

Perversity: I love the subversity!
I've studied at the university - of perversity...."

- Soft Cell, "Perversity", from 2003's The Night.

(Karma's a bitch?  *verb, transitive* it like one!)

Next up on the playlist: NIN, Survivalism, from 2007's Year Zero.  "All a part of this great nation..."

Karma for knowing Soft Cell's 2003 comeback!  Don't bother with Trent.  He's a lightweight.  If you want to learn the black art of hating yourself, the world, and all the people in it, Trent will just yell about it, Marc will take you by the arm and teach how to do it!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilfinger.gif

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 7:00 am

http://strangeglue.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/zz-instant-karma.jpg

I believe in Instant Karma.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 9:57 am

Instant karma's gonna get you!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/10 at 10:09 am

Why not instant noodle?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/20/10 at 3:10 pm

Instant karma's gonna get you!

not for me it won't.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/20/10 at 9:03 pm

Karma for knowing Soft Cell's 2003 comeback!  Don't bother with Trent.  He's a lightweight.  If you want to learn the black art of hating yourself, the world, and all the people in it, Trent will just yell about it, Marc will take you by the arm and teach how to do it! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilfinger.gif

Agreed, but with one important caveat: if you can actually sing with conviction what others sing with irony, you can find yourself in the blackest of emotional states.  Soft Cell just made it so much easier than NIN, because you were never entirely sure if they were serious or just trolling.

But then again, Industrial Music is Fascism.  (clicky-sample-linky-thing on Amazon page.)  

The joke is that it took a bunch of commies to record, sample, and immortalize the most hilariously self-aware bit of dialogue in the history of industrial music.  Source is an unrehearsed comment from a live performance.   The punchline is that 11 years after the album came out, I just this night realized that it was the same asshat they sampled in "WAM '91", on what was, at the time, the last album.  Ah, I love having every CD I own ripped to MP3...  Ah, the connections you can draw with the click of a mouse.   (Let nobody accuse Con$olidated of dishonesty: they weren't kidding when they said he'd be the first bit on the next record :)

And now for something completely different, a review of some Combichrist.)

If you feel you need to redeem yourself, might I recommend PWEI's Dread Alert in Karmadrome.  Feels like Karma ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/21/10 at 10:15 am

I believe in instant coffee, but brewed is better

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/21/10 at 4:23 pm

Agreed, but with one important caveat: if you can actually sing with conviction what others sing with irony, you can find yourself in the blackest of emotional states.  Soft Cell just made it so much easier than NIN, because you were never entirely sure if they were serious or just trolling.

But then again, Industrial Music is Fascism.  (clicky-sample-linky-thing on Amazon page.)  

The joke is that it took a bunch of commies to record, sample, and immortalize the most hilariously self-aware bit of dialogue in the history of industrial music.  Source is an unrehearsed comment from a live performance.   The punchline is that 11 years after the album came out, I just this night realized that it was the same asshat they sampled in "WAM '91", on what was, at the time, the last album.  Ah, I love having every CD I own ripped to MP3...  Ah, the connections you can draw with the click of a mouse.   (Let nobody accuse Con$olidated of dishonesty: they weren't kidding when they said he'd be the first bit on the next record :)

And now for something completely different, a review of some Combichrist.)

If you feel you need to redeem yourself, might I recommend PWEI's Dread Alert in Karmadrome.  Feels like Karma ;)

Soft Cell is outside of the "Industrial" realm, IMO, even though Dave Ball worked extensively with Psychic TV.  When you get as negative as Marc Almond, irony makes no difference.  Cyanide in Kool-Aid or cyanide in Don Perion kills you just as dead!  I used to be "Bedsitter," now I'm "Frustration."  No matter what your stead in life is, Marc has a mean message for you!

I'll have to click you links a later 2night.  I have just a few minutes.  Always found Con$olidated sanctimonious twaddle, like Snog...though I like some Snog songs.  PWEI is on the Thrill Kill Kult/KMFDM side of Industrial, which I call Industrial-Trash.  I'm a Coil man myself.  I don't think the story of on-stage blood enemas is true, but I wouldn't put it past 'em!
:)

Written By: hot_wax on 12/28/10 at 7:55 pm

Yes, very much. Bad karma starts with you knowing you doing something wrong and you know it will come back at you 3 times over...but when you least expect it.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/10 at 8:08 pm

Yes, very much. Bad karma starts with you knowing you doing something wrong and you know it will come back at you 3 times over...but when you least expect it.

Karma or karamel sutra?  ;D ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/28/10 at 8:27 pm

I like that kinda karma. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/11 at 4:09 pm

If you don't believe in karma then at least believe in Karma Chameleon.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Written By: Midas on 01/02/11 at 10:52 pm

Right before our 1st anniversary Mrs. Midas and I were discussing our dentist bill.
Luckily he's a family friend and lets us do a payment plan.  I had a couple fillings a few months ago.  :P
Anyway, I asked her when the last time she went was.  Her reply - "Oh I don't go to the dentist."  Mmmkay  ::)

So the next day on our way up to Sedona we stop at Fajita's for lunch 'cuz it's on the way and they have awesome...well, fajitas :D
As we're waiting for our lunch we're munching on chips & salsa.  My wife crunches into one and half of a molar crown pops off.
She's kinda shocked; I'm laughing as I think it's karma in action or uncanny coincidence.  :D

Anyway, the dentist bill won't be paid off anytime soon :P  But we still had a nice quick night out o' town O0

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/11 at 11:23 pm

Right before our 1st anniversary Mrs. Midas and I were discussing our dentist bill.
Luckily he's a family friend and lets us do a payment plan.  I had a couple fillings a few months ago.  :P
Anyway, I asked her when the last time she went was.  Her reply - "Oh I don't go to the dentist."  Mmmkay  ::)

So the next day on our way up to Sedona we stop at Fajita's for lunch 'cuz it's on the way and they have awesome...well, fajitas :D
As we're waiting for our lunch we're munching on chips & salsa.  My wife crunches into one and half of a molar crown pops off.
She's kinda shocked; I'm laughing as I think it's karma in action or uncanny coincidence.  :D

Anyway, the dentist bill won't be paid off anytime soon :P  But we still had a nice quick night out o' town O0

Even though it probably was a coincidence, that was a very interesting true story!

Written By: Howard on 01/03/11 at 6:50 am

If you don't believe in karma then at least believe in Karma Chameleon.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

Boy George has bad karma.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/04/11 at 10:16 pm

Cat

I read the whole thing, but since I'm not a Wiccan I didn't understand all of it. I liked the names of the trees, it was cool. I also like the names of some of the Gods/Godesses if I'm not mistaken in the Rede. 1 Karma!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/11 at 10:29 am

I read the whole thing, but since I'm not a Wiccan I didn't understand all of it. I liked the names of the trees, it was cool. I also like the names of some of the Gods/Godesses if I'm not mistaken in the Rede. 1 Karma!

I have said this before (many times), the most important thing in the Rede (and in Wicca) are the last lines:

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Words to live by.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/05/11 at 10:46 am

I absolutely believe in karma.  It's been kicking my ass like nobody's business lately.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/11 at 1:28 pm

I absolutely believe in karma.  It's been kicking my ass like nobody's business lately.

Not to be preachy because I've done some things myself, but I guess whatever you did don't do it again.  :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/06/11 at 11:31 am

Not to be preachy because I've done some things myself, but I guess whatever you did don't do it again.  :D

I think you missed the point.  Do what you will, harm none

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/11 at 9:39 pm

I think you missed the point.  Do what you will, harm none

Sigh:. I always miss the point.  :-[

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/11 at 4:07 am

((((hugs)))) and I miss you!

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/11 at 4:21 am

Not to be preachy because I've done some things myself, but I guess whatever you did don't do it again.  :D

sometimes in life you're just karma's bitch. you hope it works itself out quickly but whatever Ash is experiencing right now is thru no fault of her own.  

Written By: 80sfan on 01/10/11 at 5:51 am

sometimes in life you're just karma's bitch. you hope it works itself out quickly but whatever Ash is experiencing right now is thru no fault of her own.  

I'm sorry for what Ash is going through!

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/11 at 5:52 am

I'm sorry for what Ash is going through!

me too.. I heart her. she's an amazing person and deserves really good things to happen to her!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/11 at 11:13 am

me too.. I heart her. she's an amazing person and deserves really good things to happen to her!

Couldn't agree more with you.

Cat

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/11/11 at 5:06 am

Couldn't agree more with you.

Cat

She *is* pretty awesome!  I wish her well.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/12/11 at 7:58 pm

Hopefully Ash's "karma" will change for the better, but if you really believe in karma then you would have to believe that she somehow deserved all the s*it she has endured, which I can't believe.  Sometimes s+it just happens.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/11 at 8:48 pm

Hopefully Ash's "karma" will change for the better, but if you really believe in karma then you would have to believe that she somehow deserved all the s*it she has endured, which I can't believe.  Sometimes s+it just happens.

I hope her karma changes also!

Written By: snozberries on 01/13/11 at 10:42 pm

That's what I'm saying Carlos... I do believe in karma but sometimes you're just karma's bitch.

Check for new replies or respond here...