inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why don't homeless people migrate south for the winter?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/23/10 at 3:40 pm

I see lots of panhandlers at intersections here in KC (usually by the freeways), and last week I was at one of these intersections on a particularly cold day and I got to thinking, "You know, it's December in the Midwest, you have nothing tying you down here, why not hop a freight train or hitchhike or save up your change and buy a bus ticket and head down south for the winter where the climate is a lot more tolerable?"

Then I also realized that even though it's winter there are still thousands of homeless people in places like Buffalo and Minneapolis and Green Bay, and I understand that a good number have issues with substance abuse and/or mental illness, but you'd think that their basic survival instincts would tell them, "Hey! I need to get someplace that's a little warmer."

I dunno. I try to empathize with people and have compassion for them, but sometimes when I see a homeless person outside in the Midwest when it's below zero, it's hard for me not to think that the real reason a lot of these people are homeless is because they're not all that bright.

I know that sounds callous but that's the way I think sometimes.

Subject: Re: Why don't homeless people migrate south for the winter?

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/23/10 at 5:13 pm

I see lots of panhandlers at intersections here in KC (usually by the freeways), and last week I was at one of these intersections on a particularly cold day and I got to thinking, "You know, it's December in the Midwest, you have nothing tying you down here, why not hop a freight train or hitchhike or save up your change and buy a bus ticket and head down south for the winter where the climate is a lot more tolerable?"

Then I also realized that even though it's winter there are still thousands of homeless people in places like Buffalo and Minneapolis and Green Bay, and I understand that a good number have issues with substance abuse and/or mental illness, but you'd think that their basic survival instincts would tell them, "Hey! I need to get someplace that's a little warmer."

I dunno. I try to empathize with people and have compassion for them, but sometimes when I see a homeless person outside in the Midwest when it's below zero, it's hard for me not to think that the real reason a lot of these people are homeless is because they're not all that bright.

I know that sounds callous but that's the way I think sometimes.

Well I know several pf our "homeless" panhandlers, who sit with their signs on the corners, actually own Dodge Chargers and various other vehicles that they drive away in at the end of their "day"...  I know there are truly "homeless" but these people give them a really bad reputation...  So maybe they stay because it is lucrative, think about it, are you more apt to give someone more money cause it's cold out or on a really nice day.... ???

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/10 at 5:18 pm

we have enough homeless in California...we don't want your frozen rejects  :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/23/10 at 5:53 pm

I would also think it's hard to establish yourself among other homeless people in another community.  They're a tough bunch of people living a hard life and I would assume they don't take to strangers too well.  Also, for the drug-addicted, they must have their connections and networks set up  :-\\

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/23/10 at 7:09 pm

we have enough homeless in California...we don't want your frozen rejects  :D
;D    harsh, yet funny and true, we gots way too many here.

I ain't picking up no hitchhikers after I saw that movie with Rutger Hauer  :o

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/10 at 8:34 pm

;D    harsh, yet funny and true, we gots way too many here. I ain't picking up no hitchhikers after I saw that movie with Rutger Hauer  :o

We have a lot here. One of my officers has deemed himself the transient liaison officer he spends his time talking to them. Citing them if they have a warrant. He gets excited when a new one pops up. It's really sad lol

I love that movie!!

Written By: wildcard on 12/24/10 at 1:06 am

I was in the car once with my dad and he pointed out a guy with a homeless sign and asked me if I saw something wrong?  The had a bunch of keys clipped to his belt loop.  It got me to write this http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/disneysmarypoppins0.shtml  A lot of people in  Modesto seem to be money for nothing beggars.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/24/10 at 2:51 am

Because alot of warmer climates outlaw homeless camps, such as Lakeland, Florida http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=14c139f0-132d-489b-9007-50be707d3152

Alot of other communities aren't taking "migrating homeless people" lightly either...

http://www.nationalhomeless.org/publications/crimreport/allcities.html

It's very sad and there but by the Grace of God go I.  I've had some lucky breaks in life, sometimes people don't have sympathetic family to fall back on, or their own family is just as bad off and can't afford to help out or they have inherited mental problems. 

Written By: Howard on 12/24/10 at 7:06 am

I guess homeless like the winter because many people might feel sorry for them and give them a dollar or 2 for cup of coffee or cigarettes.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/24/10 at 9:49 am

I ain't picking up no hitchhikers after I saw that movie with Rutger Hauer  :o

I agree.  Quite the freaky movie.

Written By: wildcard on 12/24/10 at 11:17 am

I did give a dollar once seemingly deaf person who had business cards made out and was asking for money.  He didn't look like a bum. 

Written By: Howard on 12/24/10 at 1:02 pm

I did give a dollar once seemingly deaf person who had business cards made out and was asking for money.  He didn't look like a bum. 

I don't trust them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/24/10 at 1:50 pm

There are several degrees of homelessness-camped out on a relative's couch, living in one's car, to living in a cardboard box. There are also several ways as to how they got there-losing one's job, to not being able to hold down a job due to mental illness or drugs, etc. And believe it or not, there are some people who actually prefer living on the streets-others want a "normal" life.  When I see someone on the street-I'm not going to judge them. I don't know why they are there or HOW they got there.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 12/24/10 at 1:52 pm

I agree, Cat.  When I feel compelled to give them something, it is usually food I give.  If I want to donate money, I will give it to the local shelter, that way it is going where it is really needed.

Just an aside, I saw one the other day with a sign by Walmart that said "I just need 96 cents." ;D

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/10 at 1:56 pm

I agree, Cat.  When I feel compelled to give them something, it is usually food I give.  If I want to donate money, I will give it to the local shelter, that way it is going where it is really needed.

Just an aside, I saw one the other day with a sign by Walmart that said "I just need 96 cents." ;D

I also agree with Cat... not all homeless people are bad... I give a buck when I can or when I am amused. Ask Ash.. I enjoy talking to them... except that one time when it backfired on me and this crazy guy would'nt go away... now he comes and talks to me everytime I'm at the Paley Center.

I always give when I see a creative sign... they amuse me.. that sign would've gotten a buck out of me...

sometimes I will go just buy them food... there used to be one guy who sat outside my post office. He wasn't homeless but he was an out of work, down on his luck blues musician. He always played his guitar and sang and was really friendly. I would talk to him all the time and give him food and water and moeny when I had it... I have seen him in a few years.... it makes me sad.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/10 at 5:04 pm

There are several degrees of homelessness-camped out on a relative's couch, living in one's car, to living in a cardboard box. There are also several ways as to how they got there-losing one's job, to not being able to hold down a job due to mental illness or drugs, etc. And believe it or not, there are some people who actually prefer living on the streets-others want a "normal" life.  When I see someone on the street-I'm not going to judge them. I don't know why they are there or HOW they got there.

Cat

Karma...No matter how many times you tell people they just don't want to hear.  The homeless aren't there by choice, they are there by circumstance. 

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/24/10 at 5:13 pm

Cat

Exactly!

That's kinda what I tried to say above, but obviously not as elegantly.

Written By: wildcard on 12/24/10 at 5:35 pm

cool, so he was like a busker?  That's something I thought about doing, but mom says I can't with SSI.  I don't want to be on SSI anyway.  Too many restrictions.

Written By: snozberries on 12/24/10 at 5:36 pm

cool, so he was like a busker?  That's something I thought about doing, but mom says I can't with SSI.  I don't want to be on SSI anyway.  Too many restrictions.

not really....we have plenty of those in Santa Barbara but I wouldn't really classify him as one. 

Written By: wildcard on 12/24/10 at 6:57 pm

just a nice guy then, nothing wrong with being nice to a nice person.  I just don't give people money that don't look like they are in need and not in a setting where they're making an attempt of some sort to get it. 

I once saw a sign someone who was holding that said why lie I need beer.  I was going to give him a thumbs up, but it looked like my mom was going to kill me if I did.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/24/10 at 11:04 pm

Years ago I worked in a dry-cleaners in the Staten Island Ferry Terminal and I'd always give a dollar or two to the homeless until one day a "regular" in the terminal came in and picked up his dry cleaning. :o :o  From that day on I wouldn't give cash but I would buy someone something to eat. 

About a year ago there was a family in the Walmart parking lot, I can't remember if thet were out of gas or the car was broken-down but I felt bad because they had about 4 kids.  So while I was grocery shopping for my family I filled up two bags with bread, milk, peanut butter and fruit.  The looks on the kids faces when they saw bananas was priceless. 

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 7:00 am

just a nice guy then, nothing wrong with being nice to a nice person.  I just don't give people money that don't look like they are in need and not in a setting where they're making an attempt of some sort to get it. 

I once saw a sign someone who was holding that said why lie I need beer.  I was going to give him a thumbs up, but it looked like my mom was going to kill me if I did.

So you didn't give him anything?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/10 at 10:13 am

Years ago I worked in a dry-cleaners in the Staten Island Ferry Terminal and I'd always give a dollar or two to the homeless until one day a "regular" in the terminal came in and picked up his dry cleaning. :o :o  From that day on I wouldn't give cash but I would buy someone something to eat. 

About a year ago there was a family in the Walmart parking lot, I can't remember if thet were out of gas or the car was broken-down but I felt bad because they had about 4 kids.  So while I was grocery shopping for my family I filled up two bags with bread, milk, peanut butter and fruit.  The looks on the kids faces when they saw bananas was priceless. 

I used to be in charge of the local food shelf and I saw the faces of the people who came in to ask for food. I remember one day there was one of our "regulars" who came in several times a week/month. As we were bagging up food for her, I told her that she needed to see our director (basically to see WHY-it could be budgeting issues or something like that or the fact that she was trying to get something for nothing and not really needed it). She had a fit and said that she was going to report us because we refused to give her food. We weren't refusing her-she was going to get food but just needed to see our director. She stormed out of there. The guy who was standing in line behind her said to me, "I'm a witness. You didn't refuse her and if you want me to testify I will." Then he told me that he just needed diapers. He then went on to tell me that he only ate every other day so his wife & kids can eat. Needless to say, he walked out of there with more than just diapers-3 or 4  bags of groceries for his wife, kids & for HIMSELF. It was just so weird to have both extremes back-to-back that day (from someone who was trying to abuse the system to someone who didn't really want to use the system but really needed it.) THAT was the reason why I volunteered there and some days I am upset that I was pushed out of doing it because I know I made a difference in a few people's lives. 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 10:58 am

when I was in high school I volunteered at a food shelter. at the time (for some reason I don't remember now) I was making sandwiches at home and bringing them to the shelter.... I had been volunteering for a month or so and got to know the "regulars"  there was one guy I thought was really nice and so I made a special sandwich for him.. extra meat and lettuce and yes cheese  8-P    I had him his sandwich and he said " I don't like bolonga next time can you make it turkey?"  I was like dude! you're homeless? you should just be happy someone gave you something to eat... this is not a restaurant and I don't do special orders...  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 1:57 pm

when I was in high school I volunteered at a food shelter. at the time (for some reason I don't remember now) I was making sandwiches at home and bringing them to the shelter.... I had been volunteering for a month or so and got to know the "regulars"  there was one guy I thought was really nice and so I made a special sandwich for him.. extra meat and lettuce and yes cheese  8-P    I had him his sandwich and he said " I don't like bolonga next time can you make it turkey?"   I was like dude! you're homeless? you should just be happy someone gave you something to eat... this is not a restaurant and I don't do special orders...  ::)

He should be happy he had something to eat. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 2:10 pm

He should be happy he had something to eat. ::)

that's what I thought!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/10 at 2:25 pm

when I was in high school I volunteered at a food shelter. at the time (for some reason I don't remember now) I was making sandwiches at home and bringing them to the shelter.... I had been volunteering for a month or so and got to know the "regulars"  there was one guy I thought was really nice and so I made a special sandwich for him.. extra meat and lettuce and yes cheese  8-P    I had him his sandwich and he said " I don't like bolonga next time can you make it turkey?"   I was like dude! you're homeless? you should just be happy someone gave you something to eat... this is not a restaurant and I don't do special orders...  ::)

I could understand if he was allergic and broke out into hives or something if he ate it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/25/10 at 2:27 pm

that's what I thought!

homeless want more than they ask you for.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 2:29 pm

I could understand if he was allergic and broke out into hives or something if he ate it.

Cat

I asked if he were vegetarian or allergic but he just preferred something else.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/10 at 6:23 pm

when I was in high school I volunteered at a food shelter. at the time (for some reason I don't remember now) I was making sandwiches at home and bringing them to the shelter.... I had been volunteering for a month or so and got to know the "regulars"  there was one guy I thought was really nice and so I made a special sandwich for him.. extra meat and lettuce and yes cheese  8-P    I had him his sandwich and he said " I don't like bolonga next time can you make it turkey?"  I was like dude! you're homeless? you should just be happy someone gave you something to eat... this is not a restaurant and I don't do special orders...  ::)

What?...He didn't like bologna, I don't like bologna, gives me terrible bloating and indigestion.  It was nice of you to be nice, it wasn't so nice of you to think that he had to like whatever you gave him just because it made you feel like the queen.  Instead of a kinda mean spirited "Hey, I'm trying to be nice so you take whatever I give you and like it" how about really caring and saying, and thinking "I'm real sorry, but bologna is all I have"

Written By: snozberries on 12/25/10 at 6:43 pm

What?...He didn't like bologna, I don't like bologna, gives me terrible bloating and indigestion.  It was nice of you to be nice, it wasn't so nice of you to think that he had to like whatever you gave him just because it made you feel like the queen.  Instead of a kinda mean spirited "Hey, I'm trying to be nice so you take whatever I give you and like it" how about really caring and saying, and thinking "I'm real sorry, but bologna is all I have"

well to be fair I was 14 and paid for the food myself so the people got what I could afford.....
he certainly didn't have to eat the sandwich but he didn't have to be rude about it and of all the people I fed that day he was tho only to complain  >:(

I was trying to do a nice thing.. I don't eat sandwiches so what the hell do I know... but I think if you're hungry you eat what you are given.. if you want something specific then maybe you figure out how to eat at restaurant not a food shelter....  

how's that saying go??? Oh yeah.... beggars can't be choosers.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/10 at 7:07 pm

well to be fair I was 14 and paid for the food myself so the people got what I could afford.....
he certainly didn't have to eat the sandwich but he didn't have to be rude about it and of all the people I fed that day he was tho only to complain  >:(

I was trying to do a nice thing.. I don't eat sandwiches so what the hell do I know... but I think if you're hungry you eat what you are given.. if you want something specific then maybe you figure out how to eat at restaurant not a food shelter....  

how's that saying go??? Oh yeah.... beggars can't be choosers.

14?  That makes a difference.  But, now you must realize that most of these people are not rational, they are mentally ill and many don't think of themselves as beggars. After working in close proximity to some, neither do I.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 6:57 am

I asked if he were vegetarian or allergic but he just preferred something else.  ::)

Did you argue with him? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 12:00 pm

What got me when I worked at the Food Shelf was the attitude of the people who sat on the Board of Directors (which I was on also). There was a time when hamburger was REALLY outrageous in price (I think it was close to $5 a lb) but steak was only $2 or $3 a lb-so to make the $$$$ stretch further, I bought steak. The BoD had a fit because we were handing out steak. The people who came to the Food Shelf didn't deserve steak-they only deserved hamburger.  ::)

When I was working there, I always sent out press releases to keep the community up-to-date as to what we were doing and to ask for donations. Every year, the organization had a major fundraiser at the beginning of Dec. I didn't see anything advertised about it. I went to their website and they did have it and mentioned about "looking for the invitation to next year's." In other words, it is just for the "In crowd" instead of for the community at large. This is the reason why I don't volunteer there anymore.

Ok. I'm done ranting.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:52 pm

Danoot when I say beggars can't be choosers I'm using the phrase I'm not actually saying the people at the shelters ate beggars.

My dad grew up poor, really poor.... He used to get mad at me when I'd say I was hungry, go to fridge and then complain that there's "nothing" to eat. He always replied with "then you aren't hungry". Meaning that the teuly hungry will eat whatever they can when they can.  I've bever been that hungry and I hope that I never am but I think that if people do something nice for you then you appreciate the effort. I have never received a gift ungraciously and I don't think u was trying to feel like a queen. Actually that comment stung quite a bit. I was trying to do a nice people who were not as fortunate as I was. I didn't know how else to it so I did what I could and I still feel like he crapped on my good intentions.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 12:53 pm

Sometimes I hate when the homeless start asking for money,"Do you have a dollar to spare"?  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:54 pm

No howard I didn't argue with him. I just didn't put any more extra effort in.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:55 pm

Sometimes I hate when the homeless start asking for money,"Do you have a dollar to spare"?  ::)

That doesn't bother me. If I have it I'll give it and if I dint I won't.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:56 pm

What got me when I worked at the Food Shelf was the attitude of the people who sat on the Board of Directors (which I was on also). There was a time when hamburger was REALLY outrageous in price (I think it was close to $5 a lb) but steak was only $2 or $3 a lb-so to make the $$$$ stretch further, I bought steak. The BoD had a fit because we were handing out steak. The people who came to the Food Shelf didn't deserve steak-they only deserved hamburger.  ::)

When I was working there, I always sent out press releases to keep the community up-to-date as to what we were doing and to ask for donations. Every year, the organization had a major fundraiser at the beginning of Dec. I didn't see anything advertised about it. I went to their website and they did have it and mentioned about "looking for the invitation to next year's." In other words, it is just for the "In crowd" instead of for the community at large. This is the reason why I don't volunteer there anymore.

Ok. I'm done ranting.

Cat

That sux cat. I don't blame you for not going back.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 12:56 pm

I also hate sometimes when you're on the bus or train and you have some guys preaching from a bible talking about Lord Jesus Christ,Are those considered homeless? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 12:57 pm

That doesn't bother me. If I have it I'll give it and if I dint I won't.

Once in a while I'll do it but they just get in your face way too much. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 12:58 pm

I also hate sometimes when you're on the bus or train and you have some guys preaching from a bible talking about Lord Jesus Christ,Are those considered homeless? ???

I hate that too.  Some of them are homeless some are not.
I always wonder tho how God is so popular when he has mostly crazy, loud obnoxious people doing his PR  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/10 at 1:22 pm

I hate that too.  Some of them are homeless some are not.
I always wonder tho how God is so popular when he has mostly crazy, loud obnoxious people doing his PR  ;D

Do you always have to listen to their preaching? ???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 1:23 pm

Danoot when I say beggars can't be choosers I'm using the phrase I'm not actually saying the people at the shelters ate beggars.

My dad grew up poor, really poor.... He used to get mad at me when I'd say I was hungry, go to fridge and then complain that there's "nothing" to eat. He always replied with "then you aren't hungry". Meaning that the teuly hungry will eat whatever they can when they can.  I've bever been that hungry and I hope that I never am but I think that if people do something nice for you then you appreciate the effort. I have never received a gift ungraciously and I don't think u was trying to feel like a queen. Actually that comment stung quite a bit. I was trying to do a nice people who were not as fortunate as I was. I didn't know how else to it so I did what I could and I still feel like he crapped on my good intentions.

I have.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/10 at 1:23 pm

...  I've bever been that hungry and I hope that I never am but I think that if people do something nice for you then you appreciate the effort. I have never received a gift ungraciously and I don't think u was trying to feel like a queen. Actually that comment stung quite a bit. I was trying to do a nice people who were not as fortunate as I was. I didn't know how else to it so I did what I could and I still feel like he crapped on my good intentions.

I understand, but you are looking for a rational reaction and you aren't dealing with rational people. You were trying to be nice, but you have to look beyond your feelings to see that the people you are trying to help aren't like anyone else, most have some kind of mental illness, and their reactions to your good intentions may not be what you expect. You are the one who is capable of understanding that, they, for the most part aren't, that is where the compassion part kicks in.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 1:38 pm

I understand, but you are looking for a rational reaction and you aren't dealing with rational people. You were trying to be nice, but you have to look beyond your feelings to see that the people you are trying to help aren't like anyone else, most have some kind of mental illness, and their reactions to your good intentions may not be what you expect. You are the one who is capable of understanding that, they, for the most part aren't, that is where the compassion part kicks in.

This guy was down his luck.  But ge wasn't mental. I've met all kinds of homeless. I know the crazies when I see them.

Written By: snozberries on 12/26/10 at 1:44 pm

I have.

Cat

I have been homeless but not hungry.
I was without a residence for three months my second yr of college. I was a full-time student with two part time jobs (three if you count the fact that I was also a research asst for one of my profs. ) I slept in my car a lot. Showered at home of a co-worker when she found out.

Flopped at a fleabag motel when I could.
Was lucky enough to house sit for my prof once week.

It sucked. But I had money so I could eat I just couldn't find a place to live.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/27/10 at 4:33 pm

This guy was down his luck.  But ge wasn't mental. I've met all kinds of homeless. I know the crazies when I see them.

You don't need to apologize to anyone.

First of all, how many 14 year-olds would actually volunteer their time to help feed homeless people, let alone pay for the food out of their own pockets? The fact that you did speaks volumes about your character.

Second, homeless people are like any other group of people. Sure there may be some mental illness involved, but that doesn't change the fact that while most of them usually are harmless and good-natured, some of them are just plain a**holes.

That guy certainly had no right to treat you that way, and as far as I'm concerned you would have been well within your right to tell him that if he wanted a turkey sandwich so bad he could go down to the bus station, give someone a handjob for 5 dollars, and go to Subway.

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/10 at 5:20 pm

First of all, how many 14 year-olds would actually volunteer their time to help feed homeless people, let alone pay for the food out of their own pockets? The fact that you did speaks volumes about your character.

Second, homeless people are like any other group of people. Sure there may be some mental illness involved, but that doesn't change the fact that while most of them usually are harmless and good-natured, some of them are just plain a**holes.

That guy certainly had no right to treat you that way, and as far as I'm concerned you would have been well within your right to tell him that if he wanted a turkey sandwich so bad he could go down to the bus station, give someone a handjob for 5 dollars, and go to Subway.

Thanks Al!  Ima renember that hand job / subway thing next tome I meet someone looking for a handout. Lol

Written By: Dagwood on 12/27/10 at 5:50 pm

I agree.  Very well said, Al.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/27/10 at 7:26 pm

i don't think i will ever be able to look at the homeless in the same way.....

:D

I usually give to those, if I got it, that do something for the money, albeit never a hand job, but if they play the harmonica, sax, or dance with a cup out, I will always donate to the cause.  Although those with the signs, they usually get notta from me...  I watched my old boss at the recycling business offer them $100 cash ($200 if they were good) for sorting cans/metal a day at the recycling business... not a single one took him up on the offer, they would rather sit on the corner with their sign...   ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 8:26 pm

Some do, but remember, there are a lot of Southern sheriffs who ain't exactly friendly transients.  If you get caught loitering on a park bench, it don't matter if you have the Congressional Medal of Honor around your neck, the local constabulary will fine you forty bucks and if they catch you again, it's off to the hoosegow for vagrancy. 

As Cat pointed out earlier.  Few people plan to be homeless.  Often it comes in short bursts.  I've been close to homelessness several times.  When it is impending, you're usually working with state social service agencies.  If you leave the state, you have to start all over again.  There are homeless women with children.  A so-called "sturdy beggar" might be able to hitchhike to Florida, but an entire family becomes difficult.  Even single men who are homeless often don't have the physical or mental capacity to hitchhike a thousand miles. 

Even a bus ticket is expensive.  You can't hitch on the Interstate system.  You think it takes a long time to get anywhere driving the old U.S. routes, try walking them.  Hobo life is dangerous nowadays.  There are cops and psychos and psycho cops.   

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/29/10 at 11:26 pm

There was a time when hamburger was REALLY outrageous in price (I think it was close to $5 a lb) but steak was only $2 or $3 a lb-so to make the $$$$ stretch further, I bought steak. The BoD had a fit because we were handing out steak. The people who came to the Food Shelf didn't deserve steak-they only deserved hamburger.  ::)

Anger.  Flaming, burning rage kind of anger. 

Back in the day, I could get steak for $5/lb, and hamburger for $2.00/lb.  The day I realized I was paying $1.25 for a 1/4 pounder at McDonald's, when I could have been paying $5.00/lb for a T-bone, was the day I stopped eating fast food and started learning how to cook.

Granted, I had the luxury of a home in which to cook said steak, but what better an object lesson than to say "Dude, we live in a world in which steak can sometimes be cheaper than hamburger.  Availability of food isn't the problem here - this is the only country in which our poor are fatter than our wealthy."

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/30/10 at 10:18 am

Anger.  Flaming, burning rage kind of anger. 

Back in the day, I could get steak for $5/lb, and hamburger for $2.00/lb.  The day I realized I was paying $1.25 for a 1/4 pounder at McDonald's, when I could have been paying $5.00/lb for a T-bone, was the day I stopped eating fast food and started learning how to cook.

Granted, I had the luxury of a home in which to cook said steak, but what better an object lesson than to say "Dude, we live in a world in which steak can sometimes be cheaper than hamburger.  Availability of food isn't the problem here - this is the only country in which our poor are fatter than our wealthy."

Sometimes that's because they eat a lot of starch - as in laundry.  No nutrition, but it fills the belly.  In other words obesity and poverty go together 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/10 at 9:55 am

Sometimes that's because they eat a lot of starch - as in laundry.  No nutrition, but it fills the belly.  In other words obesity and poverty go together 

The "fat poor" argument is a tired one.  Healthy diets became more expensive when they became the rage of the soccer set, even more so since the bush collapse.  The price of food is skyrocketing at the moment, I see it whenever I go shopping.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/31/10 at 11:09 am

The "fat poor" argument is a tired one.  Healthy diets became more expensive when they became the rage of the soccer set, even more so since the bush collapse.  The price of food is skyrocketing at the moment, I see it whenever I go shopping.

I take it you mean the "well fed" poor. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/10 at 8:46 pm

The "fat poor" argument is a tired one.  Healthy diets became more expensive when they became the rage of the soccer set, even more so since the bush collapse.  The price of food is skyrocketing at the moment, I see it whenever I go shopping.

$2.00 worth of carrots, onions, celery, and a couple of potatoes, a $5.00 bottle of red wine, plus 5lb of $2.00/lb pork shoulder or chuck roast + 6 hours in the oven at 200F ($4.00 for electricity or gas and I'm being grossly generous here) = a week's supply of homemade beef burgundy or (skip the veggies, use some spices and BBQ sauce) pulled pork for $3/day.

You can still eat like a king for $5.00/d.  The dirty secret of most "French Bistro Fare" is that, 200 years ago, it was peasant food.  Tough/cheap cuts of meat get cooked low and slow, either in liquids (braising/fricaseeing) or over smoke (traditional BBQ, namely pulled pork and beef brisket, which developed out of similar economic situations).

If we really wanna get deep into the issue of why so many poor people are fat, it's not because they eat junk food by choice, it's because they live in food deserts -- places where junk food is often the only food available.  The more people who know how to cook, the more demand there'll be for real food, and the more likely it'll be that some grocer will take the risk of being the first guy (and reap the rewards of being the only guy) in the food desert to buy a fridge and stock it with meat, and to give a few square feet to basic veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, celery, and potatoes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 8:59 pm

I take it you mean the "well fed" poor.  

Sturdy beggars!
;)

$2.00 worth of carrots, onions, celery, and a couple of potatoes, a $5.00 bottle of red wine, plus 5lb of $2.00/lb pork shoulder or chuck roast + 6 hours in the oven at 200F ($4.00 for electricity or gas and I'm being grossly generous here) = a week's supply of homemade beef burgundy or (skip the veggies, use some spices and BBQ sauce) pulled pork for $3/day.

You can still eat like a king for $5.00/d.  The dirty secret of most "French Bistro Fare" is that, 200 years ago, it was peasant food.  Tough/cheap cuts of meat get cooked low and slow, either in liquids (braising/fricaseeing) or over smoke (traditional BBQ, namely pulled pork and beef brisket, which developed out of similar economic situations).

If we really wanna get deep into the issue of why so many poor people are fat, it's not because they eat junk food by choice, it's because they live in food deserts -- places where junk food is often the only food available.  The more people who know how to cook, the more demand there'll be for real food, and the more likely it'll be that some grocer will take the risk of being the first guy (and reap the rewards of being the only guy) in the food desert to buy a fridge and stock it with meat, and to give a few square feet to basic veggies like onions, peppers, carrots, celery, and potatoes.

I agree, that's why, in middle age, I'm determined to learn how to cook for myself.  I haven't packed on the pounds yet, but all that fast food and take-out ain't good for my ticker, and even the high quality frozen entrees are still glorified TV dinners!
::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 7:03 pm

Sturdy beggars!
;)

I agree, that's why, in middle age, I'm determined to learn how to cook for myself.  I haven't packed on the pounds yet, but all that fast food and take-out ain't good for my ticker, and even the high quality frozen entrees are still glorified TV dinners!
::)

Jesus H Christ Max, ain't nothing to cooking if your willing to eat simple fare.  Chop meat is very versatile, a few spices, onions, spuds, carrots, noodles, you got yourself multiple variations of tasty meals, and cheaper than any of those TV dinners.  And I'm sure there are veggie meals that are even cheaper.  A go strew, which I make a lot, is  the cheapest cut of chuck, onions, carrots and potatoes, and barley buds.  Lots of water, garlic, pepper etc, and let it simmer.  Yummy

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/19/11 at 9:56 pm

Jesus H Christ Max, ain't nothing to cooking if your willing to eat simple fare.  Chop meat is very versatile, a few spices, onions, spuds, carrots, noodles, you got yourself multiple variations of tasty meals, and cheaper than any of those TV dinners.  And I'm sure there are veggie meals that are even cheaper.  A go strew, which I make a lot, is  the cheapest cut of chuck, onions, carrots and potatoes, and barley buds.  Lots of water, garlic, pepper etc, and let it simmer.  Yummy

Yeah, Max, what he said.

The best foods are from the cheapest, toughest cuts.  The more gristle in the meat, the better it tastes - you throw in a 5-lb of $2-3/lb chuck roast (or pork shoulder) - and maybe $1.00 worth of veggies, and if you're feeling fancy, a $5 bottle of wine for the beef, and a $2 bottle of beer for the pork, and you just let it sit for 6 hours at 250F.  All that gristle breaks down.  The meat's exquisitely tender - more tender than the most tender cut of steak - and the collagens in the gristle (and if you find a bone-in pork shoulder roast or "country style" ribs, any marrow from the bones) lend the liquid an amazing texture.

Cooking is easier and cheaper than you think.  The dirty secret of every hoity-toity french restaurant is that the most flavorful recipes are old-school peasant food.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/11 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, Max, what he said.

The best foods are from the cheapest, toughest cuts.  The more gristle in the meat, the better it tastes - you throw in a 5-lb of $2-3/lb chuck roast (or pork shoulder) - and maybe $1.00 worth of veggies, and if you're feeling fancy, a $5 bottle of wine for the beef, and a $2 bottle of beer for the pork, and you just let it sit for 6 hours at 250F.  All that gristle breaks down.  The meat's exquisitely tender - more tender than the most tender cut of steak - and the collagens in the gristle (and if you find a bone-in pork shoulder roast or "country style" ribs, any marrow from the bones) lend the liquid an amazing texture.

Cooking is easier and cheaper than you think.  The dirty secret of every hoity-toity french restaurant is that the most flavorful recipes are old-school peasant food.

Sounds tasty.  My brother says the same thing to me and he's a chef.  I guess it's something you don't think much about once you've been doing it for a while.
;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/20/11 at 9:14 pm

Sounds tasty.  My brother says the same thing to me and he's a chef.  I guess it's something you don't think much about once you've been doing it for a while.
;)

That's the best part.  Since you're buying $2/lb cuts of meat, the price of failure is cheap.  Then, when those $5/lb pork chops are on sale for $2/lb, you'll be a lot more confident in trying a new recipe.  And after a few rounds of successfully not-overcooking pork chops, the next time you feel like a steak, but you don't feel like spending $30 in a restaurant, you plunk down $10 on a nicely-marbled hunk of cow, and give it a shot.  Couple of hits of beef and you start thinking about next time, whether you want to deglaze the pan with an ounce of port and pour the drippings over the carrots, or just toss a half-ounce of brandy in with the sauteed onions...

Stews, braises, and fricasees.  Gateway foods, man.  Turn you into a foodie in less than six months.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/11 at 8:34 am

And once you have the basics down you can start in on ethnic foods.  Of course I'm partial to Puerto Rican, like rice and beans, tostones, bacalaitos, pinchos, etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...