inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's your favorite part of the bible?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 11:34 pm

I like the part where Jesus was crucified, but I hate it at the same time!  :-\\

http://missionventureministries.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/jesus-on-the-cross1.jpg

Subject: Re: What's your favorite part of the bible?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 11:38 pm

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2890609/2/istockphoto_2890609-easter-bunny-incl-jpeg.jpg

And thanks to that, we have Easter!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 11:40 pm

http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-0808-3115-0143_Girl_Reading_the_Bible_Clip_Art_clipart_image.jpg                                                                          http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/lurk.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/22/11 at 12:41 am

Psalms always bring me much comfort and direction.  Just pick one.  Can't go wrong.
:)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/11 at 1:10 am

Psalms always bring me much comfort and direction.  Just pick one.  Can't go wrong.
:)

No one would want me singing a psalm. The whole church would be empty by the time I'm finished with the first verse.  :-\\

Written By: Dagwood on 04/22/11 at 7:06 am

No one would want me singing a psalm. The whole church would be empty by the time I'm finished with the first verse.  :-\\

Remember, the bible does say to make a joyful noise...not necessarily a beautiful noise.  ;)

I like it all.  Mostly the Gospels, though. :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 04/22/11 at 10:25 am

Deuteronomy.  Those are some cool laws - NOT

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/11 at 11:51 am

I always like the story of Joseph. I guess Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat has something to do with that.  But I also like the story of Ruth.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 04/22/11 at 12:00 pm

Genesis is quite glorious....
Leviticus is quite serious and always brings a sort of levelheadedness to my world...
But Psalms, is the most comforting to me. 

Of course the stories, I can always remember from the Children's bible...  The plague of frogs (my favorite picture in the Children's bible), The Story of the Passover, Noah - of course of great interest to an animal lover, Lot and being turned to salt - quite intimidating...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/22/11 at 9:42 pm

Why do bad things happen to good people?  If God exists, the only reasonable answer is that He does it for the lulz.

http://www.onthesetofnewyork.com/locations/tradingplaces/tradingplaces05.jpg

Or in the case of The Book of Job, in order to settle a cosmic bar bet.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/11 at 10:05 pm

Why do bad things happen to good people?  If God exists, the only reasonable answer is that He does it for the lulz.

Or in the case of The Book of Job, in order to settle a cosmic bar bet.

Oh don't we all know about God's sense of humor, which can seem dark at times.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/11 at 10:06 pm

Remember, the bible does say to make a joyful noise...not necessarily a beautiful noise.  ;)

I like it all.  Mostly the Gospels, though. :)

Yes, I would sound joyful!  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/22/11 at 10:52 pm

Oh don't we all know about God's sense of humor, which can seem dark at times.  ;D

And when I die, I hope expect to find Him laughing.

Written By: wildcard on 04/23/11 at 12:04 am

Anywhere I could be reading and bring up a song.  I don't mean just christian music, but anything.  Read something about wise, foolish don't remember, but remember singing Stabbed it with their steely knives but they just cant lkill the beast.  I ought to think about reading again some time 

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/11 at 12:40 am

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/fire.jpg

One thing I don't care for in the bible is all that talk of hell fires. Scares the eyeballs out of me!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/11 at 10:48 am

Trading Places is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have watched it so many times that I know it almost line per line.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/26/11 at 12:18 am

Trading Places is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have watched it so many times that I know it almost line per line.

In all seriousness, that bit about futures trading?  Where Eddie figures out "they're scared"?  That's everything anyone needs to know about trading in 30 seconds.

But it's Easter, and this is a thread about Biblical stories, so let's kick some ass.

L2Wx230gYJw

OK, so it probably wasn't quite like this, but I think the historical Jesus would have appreciated it.  Maybe I'm just projecting my prejudices onto the guy, but I think Monty Python grokked in its fullness what it meant to really "forgive them, for they know not what they do" than most of of Jesus' followers do today.

I mean - what have you got to lose?  You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.  What have you lost?  Nothing!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/11 at 12:28 am

In all seriousness, that bit about futures trading?  Where Eddie figures out "they're scared"?  That's everything anyone needs to know about trading in 30 seconds.

But it's Easter, and this is a thread about Biblical stories, so let's kick some ass.

L2Wx230gYJw

OK, so it probably wasn't quite like this, but I think the historical Jesus would have appreciated it.  Maybe I'm just projecting my prejudices onto the guy, but I think Monty Python grokked in its fullness what it meant to really "forgive them, for they know not what they do" than most of of Jesus' followers do today.

I mean - what have you got to lose?  You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.  What have you lost?  Nothing!

I once knew a girl who absolutely hated Monty Python. I think the true reason why she hated it was because she was a very strict Christian and thought Python offensive. I like Monty Python though.

Anyways, a bunch of men singing while on crosses brings out my inner giggles! LOL. In real life I think they'd be screaming though.

Written By: Jessica on 04/29/11 at 5:01 pm

This book is a great supplement to any Bible.

Don't read it if you're easily offended.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/30/11 at 6:17 pm

Don't read it if you're easily offended.

I'll take the other side of that bet - I'd consider Lamb essential reading to anyone who takes their faith so seriously they'd be offended by its premise.  Then again, I also think Sympathy for the Devil (free book, Baen science fiction archive) wasn't just good science fiction, it was better theology than most of what I encountered back in the day.

Written By: Jessica on 04/30/11 at 8:18 pm

I'll take the other side of that bet - I'd consider Lamb essential reading to anyone who takes their faith so seriously they'd be offended by its premise.  Then again, I also think Sympathy for the Devil (free book, Baen science fiction archive) wasn't just good science fiction, it was better theology than most of what I encountered back in the day.

Yay!  Someone else who has read that book!  I love the thought of Jesus being a young person with a friend like Biff.

I read the first chapter of "Sympathy for the Devil" and it is intriguing.  I will have to finish it up after I do the dishes.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/30/11 at 8:45 pm

Yay!  Someone else who has read that book!  I love the thought of Jesus being a young person with a friend like Biff.

I read the first chapter of "Sympathy for the Devil" and it is intriguing.  I will have to finish it up after I do the dishes.

CMiEpeKMNQI

Dishes are done!

Written By: Jessica on 04/30/11 at 10:15 pm

CMiEpeKMNQI

Dishes are done!

HAAAAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!

I did the dishes, paused to hang with family, and now I'm up to Chapter 23 of Sympathy for the Devil.  Was this ever printed?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/11 at 5:27 am

The Book of Daniel - the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego

Written By: Dagwood on 05/01/11 at 7:29 am

That's a good one.  One of the first bible stories I learned.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/02/11 at 12:50 am

I did the dishes, paused to hang with family, and now I'm up to Chapter 23 of Sympathy for the Devil.  Was this ever printed?

One of the simultaneously awesome yet depressing things about the Baen Archive is that I've never asked that question.  Until now.  Yes, it's available in print.

I can roll with that.  Even if there'd been no God and they'd just been burnt to a crisp, they'd still have won.  Better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

Written By: Jessica on 05/03/11 at 10:26 pm

Foo Bar, I read the rest of that story.  It was awesome! :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/10/11 at 5:55 am

I've always loved 1 Corinthians Chapter 13 - verses 4-7

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Written By: Bobby on 08/14/11 at 11:23 am

Like the bible or not, it has some genuinely powerful stuff in there. My favourite part is Proverbs. Proverbs has some wonderful words of wisdom that I try to live by. Of course, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, already mentioned here, are my favourite passages in the bible.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/05/11 at 1:10 pm

Jesus' birth and death. I also like Psalms and Moses parting the Red Sea. 8)

Written By: warped on 01/21/13 at 12:14 pm

The Psalms & proverbs. They provide comfort & words of wisdom.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/25/13 at 10:11 pm

The punchline when they all say "The Apostles!"

http://www.fillster.com/images/comments/425m.gif

Written By: meesa on 02/07/13 at 1:09 pm

Not sure if this counts since the Gospel of Thomas was not in the official version, but I like this very much:

Jesus said, "If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/22/13 at 8:40 pm

Not sure if this counts since the Gospel of Thomas was not in the official version, but I like this very much:

Yeah, I once read some of the parts they left out at the conclave where they decided what was in and what they didn't like much.  It was some time way back, before 1200 AD.  They make interesting reading, those gnostic gospels.  Make one wonder...

Written By: warped on 02/23/13 at 8:03 am

Yeah, I once read some of the parts they left out at the conclave where they decided what was in and what they didn't like much.  It was some time way back, before 1200 AD.  They make interesting reading, those gnostic gospels.  Make one wonder...

Sure, the Bible (the 66 books.. 39 Old Testament, 27 New Testament) was pretty much finalised back in the 200s (not officially), but officially within the 5th century.

There were a few other books added to the Catholic Bible in the 1500s, but “The Gospel of Thomas” was not one of them since it was discovered some 70 years ago.

Written By: meesa on 02/23/13 at 1:01 pm

it's fascinating to be sure. I would like to have the time to look more into the gnostic books. I know there are several that were found, as Warped was saying.

Written By: warped on 02/23/13 at 1:05 pm

it's fascinating to be sure. I would like to have the time to look more into the gnostic books. I know there are several that were found, as Warped was saying.

I've read them all, at some point. Try here for a list of books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

Written By: meesa on 02/23/13 at 1:11 pm

I've read them all, at some point. Try here for a list of books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

thank you! I will check it out!

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/24/13 at 10:17 pm

My question is why weren't they incorporated into the "official cannon"?  Why were  eliminated even though they were known?  Most were not "new discoveries", like the scrolls found in the 1930's (?), but were known when the "official" new testament was issued

Written By: warped on 02/25/13 at 7:29 am

My question is why weren't they incorporated into the "official cannon"?  Why were  eliminated even though they were known?  Most were not "new discoveries", like the scrolls found in the 1930's (?), but were known when the "official" new testament was issued

A simple answer is that those "early church fathers" who met in the Councils of Nicea (and other Councils in the 200s and 300s AD) decided that those current 66 books in the protestant Bible were deemed to be "God inspired" and the others were not.
It is my understanding (from the Protestant Christian perspective) that the Biblical Canon is closed, no books to be added or deleted under any circumstance.

As as aside, I have read some of other books that have been incorporated into the Catholic Bible (Deuterocanonical books) and I (scratches head) don't find any reason why are not in the Protestant Bible (Of course, in my church, I'd be called a Heretic...again, for saying such a thing)

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/13 at 7:55 pm

A simple answer is that those "early church fathers" who met in the Councils of Nicea (and other Councils in the 200s and 300s AD) decided that those current 66 books in the protestant Bible were deemed to be "God inspired" and the others were not.
It is my understanding (from the Protestant Christian perspective) that the Biblical Canon is closed, no books to be added or deleted under any circumstance.

As as aside, I have read some of other books that have been incorporated into the Catholic Bible (Deuterocanonical books) and I (scratches head) don't find any reason why are not in the Protestant Bible (Of course, in my church, I'd be called a Heretic...again, for saying such a thing)

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, something is very wrong there since the protestant reformation didn't start until the 1400's

Written By: warped on 02/25/13 at 8:09 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, something is very wrong there since the protestant reformation didn't start until the 1400's

Nope, it was me who wasn't clear.  ;)

I shouldn't have used "Protestant Bible" in my first sentence, just "Bible" 

A simple answer is that those "early church fathers" who met in the Councils of Nicea (and other Councils in the 200s and 300s AD) decided that those current 66 books in the Bible were deemed to be "God inspired" and the others were not.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/27/13 at 9:53 pm

Nope, it was me who wasn't clear.  ;)

I shouldn't have used "Protestant Bible" in my first sentence, just "Bible" 

A simple answer is that those "early church fathers" who met in the Councils of Nicea (and other Councils in the 200s and 300s AD) decided that those current 66 books in the Bible were deemed to be "God inspired" and the others were not.

Yeah, a bunch of guys in 200ad decide what was "god inspired" and what wasn't and that put a lock on it for then and for ever.  Sounds rather arbitrary to me.  I was trained as a historian, and I gotta tell ya, revision is the bread and gravy of the business, since you can hardly find a topic that someone hasn't written on.  Man, I wish I could get away with declaring my interpretations the be all and end all and last word on the subjects I wrote about, or better yet have other do it for me 

Written By: Goodogbadog on 03/09/13 at 9:58 pm

Well, basically, I don't "get" the Bible very much because I wasn't really brought up with anyone in my home reading the Bible. And there's so much crappe said about it these days, about it's being TRUE or NOT TRUE. I think the Bible was probably a good thing for the folks during the various years it was written. I have this picture of early mankind, wandering around the world with this complex brain that they had developed, but not a very complex culture yet, and all these animal instincts coming up, and trying to control them so they could make a society that worked, and beginning to realize that there IS a god and there is a spiritual world. And so religion, I think, helped people along with all that. Training the brain. I don't think people have a very clear idea now about what it was like to be a human a long time ago, even 2,000 years, let alone 10,000 years. They think that those people must have been "like ME" and *I* don't need a Bible. I know what to do.  I do think it's time for a new religion. But as far as my favorite parts is concerned, I like the way the Psalms in the King James version sound. You know, they use to say the 23rd Psalm in public SCHOOLS!! Can you believe it!! 

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/15 at 10:26 pm

I'm on page 50.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/09/21 at 9:14 am

The end

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/21 at 9:18 am

Judas Iscariot, the disciple and one of the original Twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ. According to all four canonical gospels, he Judas betrayed Jesus to the Sanhedrin in the Garden of Gethsemane by kissing him and addressing him as "rabbi" to reveal his identity in the darkness to the crowd who had come to arrest him.

Check for new replies or respond here...