inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unfair Labor Practice..?

Written By: Davester on 08/13/11 at 2:06 pm

When a worker is suspected of wrongdoing on the job, nothing involving violence or the threat of violence, the company is in the habit of disciplining first and asking questions later.  As a steward I'm expecting to be summoned to a so-called investigatory interview with the suspected employee and the supervisor in question.  In fact, the meeting isn't investigatory, at all, but merely an occasion to hand-out discipline.  The company's position is, "Don't like it?  File a grievance."  Which is fine and which I may, depending on what I uncover, but does it need to be advanced to a grievance each-and-every time..? 

Surely the grievance procedure is a remedy, but should be a last resort IMO.  I find it best to handle complaints at the lowest level.  The company's attitude in these matters show an abuse of the grievance procedure and an unwillingness to bargain in good faith...

What think you, brothers and sisters..?

Subject: Re: Unfair Labor Practice..?

Written By: karen on 08/14/11 at 5:44 am

When I was on a union committee it was always our policy to try and resolve matters at the lowest level.  Yes, occasionally things had to go to full-blown disciplinary with Heads of department, HR and all that.  But if an issue could be discussed between the member, the union rep and the dept supervisor that was our preferred approach.  It makes for a much nicer atmosphere for one thing

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/14/11 at 10:57 am

For several years I was grievance counselor at my college.  Our contract called for a "pre-grievance" meeting with the pres, or his rep (usually the dean).  Most of the time we were able to resolve the issue at that level.  But most of the issues were rather petty complaints from faculty.  There was one case that was serious (faculty on faculty sexual harassment).  It put me in an awkward position because the harasser did the same thing to my e wife, right  in front of me (she punched him in the solar plexus before I could act).  But the union had to defend the guy.  My wife and I testified against him and he was fired.

But as to Davester's question, I would suggest consulting higher union people and the union's lawyer

Written By: Davester on 08/14/11 at 8:28 pm

For several years I was grievance counselor at my college.  Our contract called for a "pre-grievance" meeting with the pres, or his rep (usually the dean).  Most of the time we were able to resolve the issue at that level.  But most of the issues were rather petty complaints from faculty.  There was one case that was serious (faculty on faculty sexual harassment).  It put me in an awkward position because the harasser did the same thing to my e wife, right  in front of me (she punched him in the solar plexus before I could act).  But the union had to defend the guy.  My wife and I testified against him and he was fired.

But as to Davester's question, I would suggest consulting higher union people and the union's lawyer

I did just that, Don.  Our local president's answer:  "Meh.  They've been doing that for a long time.  We win 99% of the grievances, anyway, so why'ya sweatin' it..?"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/14/11 at 11:42 pm

I did just that, Don.  Our local president's answer:  "Meh.  They've been doing that for a long time.  We win 99% of the grievances, anyway, so why'ya sweatin' it..?"

Pssst...his name is "Carlos," "Don" is just a Spanish title, such as Don Giovanni and Don Juan.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/11 at 3:41 pm

Pssst...his name is "Carlos," "Don" is just a Spanish title, such as Don Giovanni and Don Juan.

Thanks, Max. I was going to say that but you beat me to it. Of course those of us who REALLY know him calls him Charlie.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Davester on 08/15/11 at 5:50 pm

Yeah...okay...

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/16/11 at 11:21 am

I see his point, but it is a crappy situation

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/18/11 at 6:52 am

Our best friend's MIL is known as "Donna Corleone" because she's like "The GodMother"...hubby even "kisses her ring" when he sees her :D  Her last name isn't Corleone, but her first name IS Donna LOL!

Sorry, OT

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/11 at 10:28 am

Our best friend's MIL is known as "Donna Corleone" because she's like "The GodMother"...hubby even "kisses her ring" when he sees her :D  Her last name isn't Corleone, but her first name IS Donna LOL!

Sorry, OT

Still off topic.

I was floored the first time I was referred to as Doña "Cat".

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...