inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cigarette vending machines banned in England

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/11 at 7:45 am

The sale of tobacco from vending machines has been banned in England, with anyone caught selling cigarettes in machines facing a fine of £2,500.

The Department of Health said the ban had been introduced to prevent under-age sales to children and to support adults who were trying to quit.

The rest of the UK is expected to implement a similar ban next year.

Some pub landlords say it is a further threat to a livelihood that has already been damaged by the smoking ban.

But Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation have welcomed the move.

According to the Department of Health, nearly all adult smokers started smoking before they turned 18.

'Unsupervised'

Of the children who regularly smoke, 11% buy their cigarettes from vending machines.

It is also estimated that 35 million cigarettes are sold illegally through vending machines to children every year.

Under the new rules, pub landlords will still be able to sell cigarettes from behind the bar but they must ensure all tobacco advertising on vending machines is removed. Any person found guilty of displaying cigarette adverts on a vending machine could face imprisonment for up to six months, a fine of £5,000, or both.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said smoking was "one of the biggest and most stubborn challenges in public health", with more than eight million people in England still smoking, causing more than 80,000 deaths each year.

He said: "Cigarette vending machines are often unsupervised, making it easy for children to purchase cigarettes from them.

"The ban on cigarette sales from vending machines will protect children by making cigarettes less accessible to them - we want to do everything we can to encourage young people not to start smoking in the first place."

Jo Butcher, the National Children's Bureau's programme director of health and wellbeing, welcomed the ban and said a person's lifetime smoking or non-smoking behaviour was "heavily influenced" by decisions in their adolescence.

"Children and young people tell us that external influences make it even more difficult for them to choose healthier lifestyles.

"It's essential that we create environments that improve health and tobacco legislation is an important part of public health protection and promotion," she said.

Protection

Charities have also welcomed the ban.

Betty McBride, director of policy and communications at the British Heart Foundation, said thousands of children at risk of this "deadly addiction" regularly got tobacco from vending machines, "which conveniently don't ask them to prove their age".

"These children are often blissfully unaware of the damage smoking does to their health and, by the time they realise, they're hooked.

"Scrapping these machines cuts off an easy source of tobacco for existing young smokers and makes it harder for a new generation to start.

"We're encouraging landlords to remove machines completely now so they - and any left-over branding - don't act as dusty old adverts for tobacco," she said.

Eileen Streets, director of tobacco control at the Roy Castle Lung Cancer Foundation, said she hoped the ban would play a "significant part in stopping many children becoming the next generation of lung cancer victims".

Other measures

Jean King, of Cancer Research UK, added: "Tobacco kills half of all long-term users and is responsible for one in four cancer deaths.

"Cancer Research UK is determined to protect children from tobacco marketing and through our Out of Sight Out of Mind campaign we are continuing to work for legislation to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes."

But the British Beer and Pub Association described the ban as "an unnecessary measure".

A spokesman said the machines were there for the convenience of adult customers, and that the association did not believe they played a role in childhood smoking.

Although cigarettes can be sold by bar staff, the spokesman said many pubs would not opt to introduce that, as it raised issues about having a "high-value" item behind the bar and interfered with serving drinks.

One London pub landlord, Bill Sharp, said the ban was another "nail in the coffin" of his livelihood.

"I can understand them removing it from public places because that's a view, a health issue, call it what you will.

"But when got to stand in the street and they can't even buy their cigarettes in the pub, then where is it left? There's no point in them going to a pub. They going remove real ale from pubs next?"

Other measures to protect young people from the dangers of smoking are also on the way.

In April 2012, large retailers in England and Scotland will have to get rid of all tobacco displays. Small shops will be expected to comply from April 2015.

Wales and Northern Ireland plan to implement similar regulations.

The government is also due to begin a public consultation before the end of the year on whether to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes in order to lessen their marketing appeal to young people, help make health warnings more effective and help reduce the number of smokers.

Subject: Re: Cigarette vending machines banned in England

Written By: Henk on 10/01/11 at 11:04 am

Of the children who regularly smoke, 11% buy their cigarettes from vending machines.

As much as I support the ban, shouldn't the government rather be tackling the other 89%? :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/11 at 6:09 pm

I don't recall if cigarette vending machines were banned in the U.S. or not.  I haven't seen one in twenty years.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/11 at 7:35 pm

I don't recall if cigarette vending machines were banned in the U.S. or not.  I haven't seen one in twenty years.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_S20rCI0ySiw/TCn2pA9cokI/AAAAAAAADRE/VY2CFcw2FHw/s1600/cig-vending.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/11 at 8:14 pm

They were, in the 80's I think.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/11 at 8:31 pm

I think so too...I remember something about it.  Gotta stop the wee ones from sneaking a pack!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/02/11 at 6:50 am

Yes I remember they were being sold in supermarkets.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/11 at 11:27 pm

I don't recall if cigarette vending machines were banned in the U.S. or not.  I haven't seen one in twenty years.

Howard's pic is a standard snack vending machine loaded with smokes.  Lemme take you back to the 80s:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/12/14096203_70de8939b0_z.jpg

These two pictures are dated 2005 (no idea if the machine was in use or just there for ambience), but that's the style of cigarette vending machine that I remember...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/14095023_947bc757ff_z.jpg

...from the days when my parents' generation smoked. And then I found this:

http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/artomats.jpg

A few very lucky cigarette vending machines have found a second life after having been lovingly restored and turned into art-o-mat machines that sell random bits of artwork.  

(And having seen that, oh, if only I had the floor space... collect ALL the coin-operated machines!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 11:36 pm

I'm trying to picture people feeding ten dollar bills into the new cigarette machines just to get one pack!
;D

Written By: Howard on 10/05/11 at 6:40 am

Howard's pic is a standard snack vending machine loaded with smokes.  Lemme take you back to the 80s:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/12/14096203_70de8939b0_z.jpg

These two pictures are dated 2005 (no idea if the machine was in use or just there for ambience), but that's the style of cigarette vending machine that I remember...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/14095023_947bc757ff_z.jpg

...from the days when my parents' generation smoked. And then I found this:

http://www.intimateweddings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/artomats.jpg

A few very lucky cigarette vending machines have found a second life after having been lovingly restored and turned into art-o-mat machines that sell random bits of artwork.  

(And having seen that, oh, if only I had the floor space... collect ALL the coin-operated machines!)

Wow I do remember those,you put in the money and pull the lever and out came the cigarettes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/11 at 11:13 pm

Wow I do remember those,you put in the money and pull the lever and out came the cigarettes.

From Soft Cell: It's a Mug's Game

And you're standing at the chemist in Boots
Coughing up your guts like you're at deaths door
All this for a packet of Do-Do's
And the assistant gives you a wink and you turn bright red
It's at time like this that you wish you were dead
And you take the whole packet and you feel like you've drunk
A bottle of bleach
And you tell yourself 'Never, never again
Well, not until next week anyway'
And you were never one for holding drink
And you stagger off to the toilet
And you throw up like it was Christmas
And you miss the bowl and you hit your shoes
And there's no paper towels
Now what else can go wrong for you
It's a choice between a cab fare home
And a packet of cigarettes
So you choose and the money sticks
In the machine and the manager says
'Tough sh*t - drink up and leave'

Written By: Bobby on 10/11/11 at 6:58 pm

Hmmmm...I haven't seen a cigarette vending machine for years. I can only guess those machines are still installed in gentleman's clubs and places like that.

Written By: Paul on 11/04/11 at 8:22 am

From Soft Cell: It's a Mug's Game

And you're standing at the chemist in Boots
Coughing up your guts like you're at deaths door
All this for a packet of Do-Do's
And the assistant gives you a wink and you turn bright red
It's at time like this that you wish you were dead
And you take the whole packet and you feel like you've drunk
A bottle of bleach
And you tell yourself 'Never, never again
Well, not until next week anyway'
And you were never one for holding drink
And you stagger off to the toilet
And you throw up like it was Christmas
And you miss the bowl and you hit your shoes
And there's no paper towels
Now what else can go wrong for you
It's a choice between a cab fare home
And a packet of cigarettes
So you choose and the money sticks
In the machine and the manager says
'Tough sh*t - drink up and leave'

Ho Ho! One of my favourite B-sides...

Anyway...years aeons ago you could find cigarette machines affixed to the outside wall of British tobacconists, thus...]

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk90/colinhaggart/Ciggiesmachine.jpg

Could you imagine this today? It'd be wrenched off in seconds!

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/04/11 at 9:09 pm

Cigarette vending machines were banned here, except for in bars.  Where only people over 18 are supposed to be anyway, so no worries about the carding.  Now with the ban on cigarettes in bars  - I am sure the machines have no business.

Check for new replies or respond here...