inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need A Little Advice/Opinion Thread

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/11 at 6:15 pm

I figured I would start a thread for those times when you want other opinions.

Here is what I need some advice with. I have FINALLY decided that I want to replace the t.v. in the bedroom. It is not that there is anything wrong with the t.v. but it is just too d@mn small and with my wonderful vision, it is really hard for me to see. We have a great wall right behind where the t.v. sits that will be perfect for a flat screen to be mounted. I am partial to Panasonic, so that is what I am going to get. My problem is, I am not too sure which one is better-LED or Plasma. I have been reading about them and I am still confused.

Does anyone have a preference and why?

Cat

Subject: Re: Need A Little Advice/Opinion Thread

Written By: snozberries on 10/14/11 at 7:03 pm

I haven't read much on LED.... I'm partial to LCD.  Plasma has a tendency to burn images into the screen if you keep it on pause too long. Also, plasma, from what I understand costs a little more if they need repairs... and, if my landlord is right, (she didn't consult me and bought a plasma) it's uses more energy. Her bill jumped astronomically tho I think maybe (and I told her so) that the space heater I got for xmas may have been the culprit.  I don't know she swears it was her TV. 

Written By: King Tut on 10/14/11 at 7:05 pm

Alright, I'll start.

We have a 32 inch LCD TV (or 30 inch, one of the two).
When I bought the TV 2 years ago, I also asked about Plasma TVs. The shop advised me if I wanted to "reap the benefits" of a plasma TV, I need to buy a large one, 42 inches and bigger.

If your vision isn't great, I'm thinking you will but a larger one than that. Go Plasma then. But I heard they are more fragile than LCD or LED.

Having said all that, don't feel you will make a mistake getting either. As they say "It's all good!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/11 at 9:48 pm

I am partial to Panasonic, so that is what I am going to get. My problem is, I am not too sure which one is better-LED or Plasma. I have been reading about them and I am still confused.

Panasonic and Samsung still make good gear.  Most of the other brands are actually Panasonic and Samsung panels, sometimes driven with cut-rate electronics that have the "other" brand's logo slapped on them.

Plasma produces a slightly better image, but it's significantly more expensive and consumes more power/generates more heat than LCDs.  LCD sets are LCD sets, regardless of whether the LCD screen is backlit by thin fluorescent tubes or by LEDs.  LED-backlit screens are almost as good in terms of image quality and (relative to Plasma) significantly thinner, lightweight, and (because LEDs don't require high voltage) more reliable in comparison to their fluorescent-backlit competitors.

For specific recommendations on brands and models as a function of your budget, I'd recommend poking around AVWeb.  Lotta smart people there who actually keep up on what's current.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/11 at 1:07 am

I wouldn't bother with plasma or any fancy crap.  You'll pay through the nose once the salesman gets done with you.  You'll be perfectly happy with a 42" flat screen.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/16/11 at 2:12 pm

I love our 42" LCD Samsung 1080p 120hz... I can watch it from almost every angle in the room with no "black" screen problems. 

When we needed a new tv for the bedroom, my husband ended up buying a 52 or 56" lcd for the living room.  It is a LG - again 1080p and 120hz; but this one from the dining room, I cannot see the screen as well (shades of black)...

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/11 at 5:49 pm

I love our 42" LCD Samsung 1080p 120hz... I can watch it from almost every angle in the room with no "black" screen problems. 

When we needed a new tv for the bedroom, my husband ended up buying a 52 or 56" lcd for the living room.  It is a LG - again 1080p and 120hz; but this one from the dining room, I cannot see the screen as well (shades of black)...

Man I wish I had a 42" (or bigger) TV.  Isn't it sad that my flat screens are only 27 and 32 inches?  :\'( 

I prefer Sony but I don't think there's really a bad brand of TV out there... well if there is I haven't found it!  ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/11 at 6:05 pm

Man I wish I had a 42" (or bigger) TV.  Isn't it sad that my flat screens are only 27 and 32 inches?   :\'( 

I prefer Sony but I don't think there's really a bad brand of TV out there... well if there is I haven't found it!  ;)
Honestly in the flat screen, lcd atleast (the first one we bought - the 42) Samsung, out performed the Sony and the Sony was more expensive. I like sony as well, we have a sony DVD recorder, Sony TV (first LCD), and Sony Cameras.  I look at sony first (as I like their directions/technical writers the best; most uniform).  But really our Samsung performed or out performed Sony, for $500 less.  The bloody LG SUCKS (my husbands impulse buys, when we are looking for the "girls" a tv; they now have the 32" Sony LCD that WAS in our bedroom, he hated, it was the first we bought and the technology has come a long way!)!  My husband argues this, saying it is just as good.  I tell him to go watch it from the kitchen or dining room (off to the side) and see the dark screen.

Remember when a 27" tube tv was a BIG tv, or HEAVENS 36" was a monster... 

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/11 at 6:14 pm

Honestly in the flat screen, lcd atleast (the first one we bought - the 42) Samsung, out performed the Sony and the Sony was more expensive. I like sony as well, we have a sony DVD recorder, Sony TV (first LCD), and Sony Cameras.  I look at sony first (as I like their directions/technical writers the best; most uniform).  But really our Samsung performed or out performed Sony, for $500 less.   The bloody LG SUCKS (my husbands impulse buys, when we are looking for the "girls" a tv; they now have the 32" Sony LCD that WAS in our bedroom, he hated, it was the first we bought and the technology has come a long way!)!  My husband argues this, saying it is just as good.  I tell him to go watch it from the kitchen or dining room (off to the side) and see the dark screen.

Remember when a 27" tube tv was a BIG tv, or HEAVENS 36" was a monster... 

you may be the only person I know who compares technical writers!  ;D

YEah I don't have big enough apt to experience the black screen thing.  I've never owned an LG.  It just seems when I buy Sony I have the stuff for ever. 

I still have a couple of those big TVs they are still going strong. The Sony is 12 yrs old, the Panasonic is about 15. I can't bring myself to get rid of them. It'd be like asking you to get rid of one of your kids!  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/11 at 6:36 pm

you may be the only person I know who compares technical writers!  ;D

YEah I don't have big enough apt to experience the black screen thing.  I've never owned an LG.  It just seems when I buy Sony I have the stuff for ever. 

I still have a couple of those big TVs they are still going strong. The Sony is 12 yrs old, the Panasonic is about 15. I can't bring myself to get rid of them. It'd be like asking you to get rid of one of your kids!  :D
We still have a little tv with DVD player, and a little one with DVR, and another tube tv... They have all been moved to the camper (although I always want the big one, brought in for in front of my elliptical - my hubby says why I still wouldn't see it >:() :D

We had to get rid of the others, lightening took out Zenith, one, the girls turned on the big 36" (Panasonic)we had and tube blew up and the girls told me their tv was on fire (I was like - WHAT).  Checked and yep tube inside was burning.  SMELLED horrible. 

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/11 at 8:31 pm

We still have a little tv with DVD player, and a little one with DVR, and another tube tv... They have all been moved to the camper (although I always want the big one, brought in for in front of my elliptical - my hubby says why I still wouldn't see it >:() :D

Sorry Sami, that made me laugh.

We had to get rid of the others, lightening took out Zenith, one, the girls turned on the big 36" (Panasonic)we had and tube blew up and the girls told me their tv was on fire (I was like - WHAT).  Checked and yep tube inside was burning.  SMELLED horrible.  

I think if I were capable of creating some sort of art I would create something using dead tvs.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/17/11 at 9:51 pm

Sorry Sami, that made me laugh.

I think if I were capable of creating some sort of art I would create something using dead tvs.
You would laugh....  ::)

Reminds me of the old MTV commercial/slogan with all the tv's...

but this is cool, except the tv's work

http://americanart.si.edu/education/rs/images/2002.23.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/11 at 10:08 pm

You would laugh....   ::)

Sorry  :-\\

That is cool.
Wouldn't mind an art installation with working tvs either.  Remember that video/tv wall from less than zero?  Iwouldve loved that

Written By: Howard on 10/18/11 at 6:54 am

You would laugh....   ::)

Wow that is neat Sami.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/19/11 at 8:18 am

SAMSUNG!!! I'd personally recommend LCD or LED. Plasma tends to "glare" (particularly in a room with a lot of sunlight...we actually moved our plasma into our bedroom because it reflected too much in the family room) and with your vision, probably isn't a good idea. I have issues sometimes with our plasma in our bedroom if I'm at a certain angle and I don't have "bad" vision, but I do have issues with photosensitivity. Like someone else said (too lazy to scroll up ;D), it also puts off a LOT of heat and will actually change the ambient temperature in the room :o

Written By: Claybricks on 10/19/11 at 8:38 am

Panasonic Plasma is the way to go. (There are 2 levels of quality within the Panasonic Plasma line)

Plasma has deeper colors and motion looks much smoother (not choppy digital)

If unsure about size, always go larger (nobody regrets going larger)

Dan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/11 at 12:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am ready to buy. Sometime next week, we will go to Sears and pick one out.

Now, I have decide whether to replace our console in the living room or not. The picture is crap. After all, the t.v. is over 20 years old. You can see the console (along with some of the grandkids-taken a few years ago). I really hate to replace the console because you can't get them like that anymore. And if we do replace it, we would have to buy something to put the t.v. on along with the DVD player/dish box and other things. Decisions, decisions.

Cat

Written By: Claybricks on 10/19/11 at 1:10 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I am ready to buy. Sometime next week, we will go to Sears and pick one out.

Now, I have decide whether to replace our console in the living room or not. The picture is crap. After all, the t.v. is over 20 years old. You can see the console (along with some of the grandkids-taken a few years ago). I really hate to replace the console because you can't get them like that anymore. And if we do replace it, we would have to buy something to put the t.v. on along with the DVD player/dish box and other things. Decisions, decisions.

Cat

http://www.loftyexpressions.com/designs/dens/tv_cabinet_ceiling.jpg

http://www.popecustomfurniture.com/images/corner_cabinet.jpg

Cat,

As a suggestion, consider a custom made corner cabinet made out of the same material as the window frame molding.

If interested, find a place that makes custom cabinets for kitchens.

Dan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/19/11 at 1:58 pm

http://www.loftyexpressions.com/designs/dens/tv_cabinet_ceiling.jpg

http://www.popecustomfurniture.com/images/corner_cabinet.jpg

Cat,

As a suggestion, consider a custom made corner cabinet made out of the same material as the window frame molding.

If interested, find a place that makes custom cabinets for kitchens.

Dan

That is VERY nice even though if I were do that, it would be a bit smaller than the one pictured. But I can just hear the cha-ching, cha-ching.  :-\\  It is something worth thinking about. Karma for the idea.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/19/11 at 8:07 pm

Cat

nice house Cat.

Written By: snozberries on 10/19/11 at 8:49 pm

Cat

If it were me.... and I did the in my old place after I found a working console TV at a garage sale for a buck!  :o  (you heard read it right)   I used the console TV as my TV stand.   you could out the new tv right on top of the console....think of the conversation piece it would make...plus the artistic juxtaposition of old vs new tv..... what is a console tv good for nowadays? Being used as furniture  ;D

If I ever get a place big enough i'm gonna do it again.

btw, as for the DVD and Dish box...  set those puppies side by side and get/build a shelf high enough to cover the DVD and dish box then put the TV on top of the shelf....

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/19/11 at 10:39 pm

Now, I have decide whether to replace our console in the living room or not. The picture is crap. After all, the t.v. is over 20 years old. You can see the console (along with some of the grandkids-taken a few years ago). I really hate to replace the console because you can't get them like that anymore.

Find a forum that caters to collectors of vintage television equipment.  It's probably fixable for the cost of replacing a few old dried-out electrolytic capacitors (less than the cost of a pizza), and if it's the tube that's on its way out, someone who owns a CRT rejuvenator has pretty good odd at giving it another 20 years of life.  Even if you don't own it after handing it over to some old-school tech, it'll continue to be used.

Failing that, look on it as an opportunity to (google around for how to do it safely, but anyone can do these projects with a few minutes' reading and some common sense) turn it into a bar, cabinet, fish tank, or stand for your new TV.

Right now, CRTs from the 50s and 60s are in high demand amongst collectors and restorers.  Plastic-housed 19" and 25" solid-state sets from the 80s/90s are easily had in thrift stores and are a significant source of donor tubes to arcade collectors.  Console CRT-based TVs (like yours, where the cabinet is something other than black plastic!) are somewhere in the middle - nobody really wants them as antiques, but most have already been junked, and (in comparison to the plastic-housed last-generation CRTs) console TVs are already relatively rare.  It's not so rare that you need to feel bad about gutting it and giving it life as something other than an old TV.  It's not so common that you should just hand it to the local recycler and send it to China to be ground up for scrap.

What I'm trying to say is that there might be someone who wants that set now (not me :), but in your lifetime, someone will definitely have a use for it, so if you don't feel creatively inspired by the fishbowl, the bar, or the storage cabinet ideas, and if you've got the space to ignore the problem, just go with "TV Stand" and plunk the new flatscreen on top of the old one and wait.  When the new TV fails or is replaced, your old one will probably still run (if you still have any equipment that outputs analog NTSC!), and will be of more interest to the retro/collecting community of the 2020s-30s than it would be today.  (But if you don't have the space for the old set?  Punt and post to your local Craigslist/freecycle with "Console TV, working condition, left on side of road near XXX block of YYY street, first come, first served.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/11 at 12:07 pm

Find a forum that caters to collectors of vintage television equipment.  It's probably fixable for the cost of replacing a few old dried-out electrolytic capacitors (less than the cost of a pizza), and if it's the tube that's on its way out, someone who owns a CRT rejuvenator has pretty good odd at giving it another 20 years of life.  Even if you don't own it after handing it over to some old-school tech, it'll continue to be used.

Failing that, look on it as an opportunity to (google around for how to do it safely, but anyone can do these projects with a few minutes' reading and some common sense) turn it into a bar, cabinet, fish tank, or stand for your new TV.

Right now, CRTs from the 50s and 60s are in high demand amongst collectors and restorers.  Plastic-housed 19" and 25" solid-state sets from the 80s/90s are easily had in thrift stores and are a significant source of donor tubes to arcade collectors.  Console CRT-based TVs (like yours, where the cabinet is something other than black plastic!) are somewhere in the middle - nobody really wants them as antiques, but most have already been junked, and (in comparison to the plastic-housed last-generation CRTs) console TVs are already relatively rare.  It's not so rare that you need to feel bad about gutting it and giving it life as something other than an old TV.  It's not so common that you should just hand it to the local recycler and send it to China to be ground up for scrap.

What I'm trying to say is that there might be someone who wants that set now (not me :), but in your lifetime, someone will definitely have a use for it, so if you don't feel creatively inspired by the fishbowl, the bar, or the storage cabinet ideas, and if you've got the space to ignore the problem, just go with "TV Stand" and plunk the new flatscreen on top of the old one and wait.  When the new TV fails or is replaced, your old one will probably still run (if you still have any equipment that outputs analog NTSC!), and will be of more interest to the retro/collecting community of the 2020s-30s than it would be today.  (But if you don't have the space for the old set?  Punt and post to your local Craigslist/freecycle with "Console TV, working condition, left on side of road near XXX block of YYY street, first come, first served.)

I thought about having it tweaked so the picture will be much clearer than it is now but 1.) finding someone who can do it and 2.) it may be cheaper to buy a new set.

I have also thought about gutting it and putting a flat screen in it but the problem with that idea is the size. TVs are different sizes now. So, I'm still toying with ideas for the living room. But, next week, I am going to buy a new t.v. for the bedroom.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 12:10 pm

You didnt like my idea?  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/11 at 12:19 pm

You didnt like my idea?  :\'(

Hate to say this, My Friend but not really-and here is why. First of all, it will bring the screen up TOO high and obscure posters we have hanging behind (include that one that I recently got at an auction-and YOU know which one I am talking about.  ;) ).  Second, I need some space to put the pics, and a few other things we have sitting on the t.v. now. Even if I were to put the DVD player/dish box someplace else, there still isn't enough room for the other stuff with a new t.v. there.

Cat 

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 12:32 pm

Cat

See, I would relocate the art.   I think, just a thought,  unless that propeller looking thing has to hang by that door, you could suspend it from the ceiling over the tv in the corner and put the art on the ight of the door, small one over the big one.

You could also put a corner shelf above where the flat screen would end and put your statues that are on be console on that.  The other thing, maybe on secod glance, is an anchor could go many places. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/11 at 12:43 pm

See, I would relocate the art.   I think, just a thought,  unless that propeller looking thing has to hang by that door, you could suspend it from the ceiling over the tv in the corner and put the art on the ight of the door, small one over the big one.

That pic was taken a few years ago. Since that time, the living room has been painted and that propeller in the pic (which is a spindle btw) is no longer there-and that is not a door but a window. Also, the two pieces of art you see there are now on another wall and have been replaced with two other pieces of art. (BTW, the one on the left in the pic was done by Charlie & SIL. ) As for other walls-there really isn't any other place. They are all used up.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 12:56 pm

That pic was taken a few years ago. Since that time, the living room has been painted and that propeller in the pic (which is a spindle btw) is no longer there-and that is not a door but a window. Also, the two pieces of art you see there are now on another wall and have been replaced with two other pieces of art. (BTW, the one on the left in the pic was done by Charlie & SIL. ) As for other walls-there really isn't any other place. They are all used up.  :-\\

Cat

Oh yeah....I forgot that other poster  is bigger.  Sorry I just like rearranging furniture and art. That's what I do when I get bored.  My apt has been rearranged 20 times in 8 yrs.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 1:03 pm

http://bestbushfurniture.tk/images/home-styles-furniture-5538-11-country-casual_0.jpg
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/HO/HO1960_l.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/20/11 at 1:34 pm

http://bestbushfurniture.tk/images/home-styles-furniture-5538-11-country-casual_0.jpg
http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/HO/HO1960_l.jpg

I'm thinking something like this.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/3198/502430601p?src=http%3A%2F%2Fcommon1.csnimages.com%2Flf%2F1%2Fhash%2F436%2F1700702%2F1%2F1.jpg&d=1a1350b92edefebe842a9e902d9bfce949f75ab6

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/20/11 at 2:47 pm

Nice.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/20/11 at 3:09 pm

If it were me.... and I did the in my old place after I found a working console TV at a garage sale for a buck!  :o  (you heard read it right)   I used the console TV as my TV stand.   you could out the new tv right on top of the console....think of the conversation piece it would make...plus the artistic juxtaposition of old vs new tv..... what is a console tv good for nowadays? Being used as furniture  ;D

If I ever get a place big enough i'm gonna do it again.

btw, as for the DVD and Dish box...  set those puppies side by side and get/build a shelf high enough to cover the DVD and dish box then put
the TV on top of the shelf....

Do you have recliners and an old refrigerator on your front porch, too.  ;D

You could put a fish tank into the old TV.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/22/11 at 7:34 pm

I thought about having it tweaked so the picture will be much clearer than it is now but 1.) finding someone who can do it and 2.) it may be cheaper to buy a new set.

True on both counts, which is why the sets get tossed. 

Rejuvenating a tube can be done in 10-15 minutes - with the appropriate gear - so assume a 1-hour labor time. 

N1aqRgIZYak

(Futzing with a rejuvenator is a bit of a lost art, but this guy's got the right idea on this 1975 Magnavox.  He's got a whole series of videos if you feel like completely nerding out.  And probably one of the best rejuvenators made.  Mine's pretty good, but has analog gauges where his has LEDs :)

Recapping a set takes another hour or two, and can be done without any specialized equipment, but you'd have to take the set apart, re-order the capacitors, and wait a few days for the parts to get there.  So you'd be looking at either 2-3 hours of labor ($2-300) or an hour's labor to shoot the tube if recapping it yourself ($50 in parts/shipping and a day or so to take it apart, futz with a soldering iron, put it all back together again, and hope for the best :)

Recapping an old CRT is a fun project for the DIYer, but by no means economically viable.  No NTSC set is ever going to beat 1080p, and prices for a low-end 1080p set that's the same size as the old console TV are below $200-300.

I have also thought about gutting it and putting a flat screen in it but the problem with that idea is the size. TVs are different sizes now. So, I'm still toying with ideas for the living room. But, next week, I am going to buy a new t.v. for the bedroom.

Yeah, the aspect ratio's wrong.  Unless you put in shelving (to hold DVD players/etc) on the top/bottom to make it look like it was meant to hold a screen with a modern aspect ratio, it'll look odd. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/22/11 at 7:40 pm

Sorry  :-\\

That is cool.
Wouldn't mind an art installation with working tvs either.  Remember that video/tv wall from less than zero?  Iwouldve loved that
OH my I remember that - and no worries, I wasn't offended (even when my husband said it)  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/11 at 12:24 pm

Ok, I made my decision and went back to Sears yesterday. There were two I was debating between: Samsung 22 inch 1080p LED & an RCA 24 inch 1080p LED. The difference between 2 inches. I wanted to get a Samsung because the reviews have been good but I wanted the bigger screen. (They didn't really make the Samsung in a 24 or 26 inch screen like I really wanted-and a 32 would be WAY too big for the bedroom). So, I settled on the RCA because the size. We brought it home but decided not to hook it up until today.

This morning, we were reading the paper when SIL asked us which t.v. we bought. She then showed us a flyer from Sears that says the exact same t.v. that we bought yesterday will be going on sale TOMORROW!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( 

So, tomorrow we will take the t.v. back to Sears (since we didn't even take it out of the box) and asked for sales price. If they don't honor it, I will just return it and 5 minutes later, I will buy it again-at the sales price! WHY COULDN'T THE GUY TELL US THAT IT WAS GOING ON SALE??!

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/27/11 at 12:39 pm

Ok, I made my decision and went back to Sears yesterday. There were two I was debating between: Samsung 22 inch 1080p LED & an RCA 24 inch 1080p LED. The difference between 2 inches. I wanted to get a Samsung because the reviews have been good but I wanted the bigger screen. (They didn't really make the Samsung in a 24 or 26 inch screen like I really wanted-and a 32 would be WAY too big for the bedroom). So, I settled on the RCA because the size. We brought it home but decided not to hook it up until today.

This morning, we were reading the paper when SIL asked us which t.v. we bought. She then showed us a flyer from Sears that says the exact same t.v. that we bought yesterday will be going on sale TOMORROW!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( 

So, tomorrow we will take the t.v. back to Sears (since we didn't even take it out of the box) and asked for sales price. If they don't honor it, I will just return it and 5 minutes later, I will buy it again-at the sales price! WHY COULDN'T THE GUY TELL US THAT IT WAS GOING ON SALE??!

Cat

Call the store and talk to the department manager, you might just be able to take receipt instead of having to lug the TV back to the store.

*I just looked...Sears has a price protection policy, if the item goes on sale within 14 days they will refund the difference.

It depends...if he works on commission then he wants to get more money OR he wasn't aware of the sale.  When I worked in retail we were not informed until the night before the ad went out.  If a sale started on Sunday we got our flyer and signs that Sat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/11 at 12:53 pm

Call the store and talk to the department manager, you might just be able to take receipt instead of having to lug the TV back to the store.

*I just looked...Sears has a price protection policy, if the item goes on sale within 14 days they will refund the difference.

It depends...if he works on commission then he wants to get more money OR he wasn't aware of the sale.  When I worked in retail we were not informed until the night before the ad went out.  If a sale started on Sunday we got our flyer and signs that Sat.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Just got off the phone with them. I just need to bring the receipt in. Of course that will be the THIRD trip to Sears. Oh well. But, at least I will get it at the sale price.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/11 at 1:07 pm

Carol beat me to it.  In the 20yrs I worked retail we were never given advanced warning on sales.  It may be your third trip Cat but at least you don't have to haul the tv back and forth. 

Written By: Claybricks on 10/27/11 at 1:51 pm

Cat,

Sears charges retail or higher than retail prices. I would suggest going to a place like Best Buy or Frys and pick out the TV you want (Best Buys offer free financing on TVs depending on price, 3 years free for 899.00 and above and I think 1 year free financing for under 899)

Some electronics retailers will match internet pricing. For example, go to NewEgg.com or Amazon.com and check the price. That will give you bargaining power when you go to the retail store. If you buy from a place like NewEgg.com, you don't have to pay tax, only shipping. Sales are slow right now, I would suggest making an offer on a TV at a retail store (tell them to take the offer to their manager)...For example, I purchased an accessory for and HP Touchpad at Microcenter...I asked if they would match Best Buy's 50% off sale and the salesman said 'No'. I asked the Salesman to take the offer to the manager...the manager said YES! (it's a buyer's market right now)

Hope this helps,

Dan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/11 at 2:40 pm

Cat,

Sears charges retail or higher than retail prices. I would suggest going to a place like Best Buy or Frys and pick out the TV you want (Best Buys offer free financing on TVs depending on price, 3 years free for 899.00 and above and I think 1 year free financing for under 899)

Some electronics retailers will match internet pricing. For example, go to NewEgg.com or Amazon.com and check the price. That will give you bargaining power when you go to the retail store. If you buy from a place like NewEgg.com, you don't have to pay tax, only shipping. Sales are slow right now, I would suggest making an offer on a TV at a retail store (tell them to take the offer to their manager)...For example, I purchased an accessory for and HP Touchpad at Microcenter...I asked if they would match Best Buy's 50% off sale and the salesman said 'No'. I asked the Salesman to take the offer to the manager...the manager said YES! (it's a buyer's market right now)

Hope this helps,

Dan

I already scoped out prices on-line. As for Best Buy-the closest is an hour plus drive from here. The cheapest place that I found this was at Walmart and I DO NOT DO Walmart! But, the sales price that I will be getting will be the same price that it is being sold at Walmart.

Cat

Written By: Claybricks on 10/27/11 at 2:51 pm

I already scoped out prices on-line. As for Best Buy-the closest is an hour plus drive from here. The cheapest place that I found this was at Walmart and I DO NOT DO Walmart! But, the sales price that I will be getting will be the same price that it is being sold at Walmart.

Cat

The one thing I like about Walmart is that they will take anything back within 30 days! I would not advise buying a toilet seat there lol

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...