inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Do You Stand on Cosmetic Surgery?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/23/11 at 8:31 pm

Hi Y'all!

I just got done watching a Nick News special about teens and plastic surgery and how the number of teens in the US who have procedures are on the rise. There was even a girl who'd had lipo when she was 12. Though I'm not a teenager any more, I can say that I did consider things like lipo and stuff because I was a very overweight adolescent and got teased mercilessly for it.
But I've never had a problem with the idea of someone having surgery. (I'm a Michael Jackson fan, surgery is a topic of interest in the fan circles, and you have to be used to it when looking at MJ) And even now, if i could afford it, there are a couple of procedures I would have done. (Not my face, I like my face now and wouldn't dare change it)

I just wonder, what do you guys think about it. For it? against it? Don't give a sheesh? LOL
    :)

Subject: Re: Where Do You Stand on Cosmetic Surgery?

Written By: gibbo on 10/23/11 at 8:49 pm

Completely against for teens!    .... and against for ALL ages (unless it is a medical emergency or a disfiguration).  Now what constitutes a disfiguration?  That, unfortunately will vary in peoples minds....

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/11 at 9:53 pm

Pro: It enables reconstructive surgeons to practice on hundreds of willing guinea pigs so they can be ready for the time that someone comes in with half their face ripped off because they didn't wear a full-face helmet while motorcycling, or to use a more realistic example, when they encounter someone who lost the genetic lottery by having their spin land on breast cancer.

Con: With the aforementioned exception of those who lost the genetic lottery, real boobs beat fake boobs any day. Cosmetic surgery has ruined pr0n.

Don't give a sheesh: What other people do with their bodies and their money is none of my business.

LOL:  (No hard feelings, apollonia1986, but since you brought it up...)  I stand by my "don't give a sheesh" principles even unto the point of the deaths of other people doing whatever they want with their bodies, but if you're asking for opinions, Michael Jackson really was 20% cooler when he was black.  

I just wonder, what do you guys think about it. For it? against it? Don't give a sheesh? LOL     :)

Breaking it down, I'd say 20% for, 20% against, 51% nunmybidniz, and 9% LOL.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/11 at 11:45 pm

Completely against for teens!    .... and against for ALL ages (unless it is a medical emergency or a disfiguration).  Now what constitutes a disfiguration?   That, unfortunately will vary in peoples minds....

I agree with Gibbo.  If adults want to do it, they should be allowed the liberty.  I personally think much of it has to do with vanity and never being happy with what God gives us thanks to our TV culture, but that does not beg new laws, just bespeaks of bad taste. 

Written By: Howard on 10/24/11 at 6:54 am

It could cause later in life a lot of money and a bad looking face.

No woman wants to look like Jocelyn Wilderstein:

http://www.plasticsurgerygonewrongs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bad-Superstar-Plastic-Surgery-Who-and-Why-1038.jpg

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/24/11 at 5:00 pm

As a general rule, I don't care.  As long as they're not hurting anybody, people can do whatever they want.

But personally, I think it's dumb.  We all have different bodies and faces for a reason.  I love humanity in all it's many and varied forms.  I think people look grotesque when they've had a lot of plastic surgery.  But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/24/11 at 5:19 pm

Aw geez, now I feel bad because I like the idea of plastic surgery and would have 3 simple procedures done if I could afford it--and miss dialysis long enough to do it. LOL. I don't want to change who I am, just make a better looking version of who I am.

And like i say, I come from the MJ school of thought, if you can alter it to suit you, and can, I'd do it. LOL. He didn't like what he saw and he tried to fix it. I don't know of Michael ever liked how he turned out truly, but I liked what I saw and I've said that for years about him. But this isn;t about MJ, its about me, and like I say, if only I could afford what I wanted. And I respect peopel who have the surgery because most of them--except for that lion king looking something that was posted that strange looking woman--look GOOD once it's said and done.  :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/24/11 at 5:25 pm

Don't feel bad!  It's your body and you can do whatever you damn well please with it!  ;) 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/11 at 11:41 pm

Don't feel bad!  It's your body and you can do whatever you damn well please with it!   ;) 

Even this?

http://www.cosmeticsurgeon.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/catboy1.gif

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/25/11 at 12:37 am

NOT THAT. I want to still look human, not like I belong in a Ringling Bros. side show.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/11 at 7:02 am

Even this?

http://www.cosmeticsurgeon.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/catboy1.gif

That's way too much.  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/25/11 at 10:48 pm

dialysis

Stop whatever you're thinking of doing and ask your nephrologist with respect to whatever procedures you're considering.

I'll stand by "Your body, your money, your health, your choice", but you might have risk factors that don't apply to most people.  Your health is part of your choice, and your choice needs to be an informed one.  That means you need to talk to someone who actually knows your medical history and whether it contraindicates whatever procedures you're considering.

To pick two ludicrous examples out of thin air:  If you've had a stroke last week, your cardiologist is unlikely to recommend skydiving, with its attendant rapid changes in both air pressure and blood pressure.  But if you broke your arm in a car crash last week, your orthopedic surgeon is likely to be happy to hand you off to a dentist who wants to fix your chipped tooth, or vice versa.

You're probably in between those two extremes, which means you need to stop listening to us (myself included!) and ask someone who knows what they're talking about, like the doc who knows what sort of abuse peoples' kidneys take when they undergo various surgical procedures.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/25/11 at 11:36 pm

GOOD LORD!

I'm not actually planning to have any work done. I just toy with the idea of it. Please I've already had enough dialysis related surgery to last me a lifetime. I just fantasy about having the perfect looks sometimes, that's all. I wouldn't dare try to have cosmetic surgery done with myself on dialysis. Are you kidding? I hated the dialysis surgery becasuse I'm left with needless scars on my chest from the doctor hitting and missing veins. The onyl good thing that came out the surgery was I was knocked out and slept for 5 hours straight, A feat I haven't seen since Michael was married to Lisa Marie.

But I'm not considering doing anything now. Not with my kidneys in an uproar.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/26/11 at 1:32 am

GOOD LORD!

LOL.  I'm so glad I was just being paranoid.  :)

Good on ya, and glad to see the important organ - namely the one in your head - is working well.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/11 at 7:03 am

GOOD LORD!

I'm not actually planning to have any work done. I just toy with the idea of it. Please I've already had enough dialysis related surgery to last me a lifetime. I just fantasy about having the perfect looks sometimes, that's all. I wouldn't dare try to have cosmetic surgery done with myself on dialysis. Are you kidding? I hated the dialysis surgery becasuse I'm left with needless scars on my chest from the doctor hitting and missing veins. The onyl good thing that came out the surgery was I was knocked out and slept for 5 hours straight, A feat I haven't seen since Michael was married to Lisa Marie.

You don't want to resemble Jocelyn Wilderstein.  :o :P

Written By: Dagwood on 10/26/11 at 7:12 am

GOOD LORD!

Tiff, there is no such thing as the perfect look anyway.  You are a beautiful girl.  Natural beauty is better than enhanced anyday.  I know you aren't planning on anything, but I just wanted to throw that out there.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/26/11 at 7:23 am

Tiff, there is no such thing as the perfect look anyway.  You are a beautiful girl.  Natural beauty is better than enhanced anyday.  I know you aren't planning on anything, but I just wanted to throw that out there.  :)

I agree with you why would you want to change yourself just to please others?

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/26/11 at 8:54 am

Not for kids or teens (unless it's reconstruction purposes) but if you are an adult and it's something that you want to do then go for it.

Written By: wildcard on 10/26/11 at 11:32 am

My mom wants me to get laser surgery to remove my ogly black face hair, but I don't know.  radiation might be how I got the hair on my face so dark in the first place.  I know the overdose of my radiation was the cause of my stroke when I was 16.  No more radiation like that.  Yes I'm for natural beauty.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/26/11 at 12:02 pm

http://mrndaniels.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/fence-sitting.jpg

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/11 at 1:49 pm

My mom wants me to get laser surgery to remove my ogly black face hair, but I don't know.  radiation might be how I got the hair on my face so dark in the first place.  I know the overdose of my radiation was the cause of my stroke when I was 16.  No more radiation like that.  Yes I'm for natural beauty.

Tell your mom to suck it.  Have you thought about using Vaniqa?  It's a cream that lessens facial hair.  I used it for awhile (until I couldn't afford it any longer), and had good results.

I'm okay with cosmetic surgery, TO A POINT.  I think some people that go in for it get sucked into this whole "gotta be beautiful by society's standards", and ultimately, they pay for it (Jocelyn Wildenstein).  I also think that some people have Body Dysmorphic Disorder and they just keep going and going, hoping to improve their looks until they're satisfied.  Which will never happen, of course, because it is all psychological.

Teenagers and children should NOT be getting cosmetic surgery of any kind (unless medically necessary).  I was disgusted to read a story last week about a teenager who had a nose job because of bullying.  Instead of taking the bullying head on, her parents chose to give consent for plastic surgery.  What kind of freakin' message does that send?!

As for myself, I've always maintained that I would have my excess skin cut off if I ever lose enough weight.  Still working on that, and I'll have to pay out of pocket since it's not medically necessary.  So I'll be waiting more than a few years. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/11 at 3:44 pm

I had electrolysis on my chin for 2 & a half years. Today, I have to get my chin waxed every 4-6 weeks. In other words, the electrolysis didn't work. Not too sure if laser surgery would be any better. You could just do what most women do, wax.

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/11 at 3:53 pm

I had electrolysis on my chin for 2 & a half years. Today, I have to get my chin waxed every 4-6 weeks. In other words, the electrolysis didn't work. Not too sure if laser surgery would be any better. You could just do what most women do, wax.

Cat

I have horrible facial hair.  If I don't stay on top of it, I would probably have a nice beard growing in. :o  I was thinking about electrolysis, but I haven't heard much good about it (and, you know, money).  So I just wax, pluck, shave, and use my epilator.  I really want to get Vaniqa (why do I always automatically type "vagina" when I write that word? ;D) cream again, because it helps tremendously.  It's a cosmetic product though, so the insurance won't cover it, and I don't have $85 a month to spare. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/11 at 4:10 pm

I have horrible facial hair.  If I don't stay on top of it, I would probably have a nice beard growing in. :o  I was thinking about electrolysis, but I haven't heard much good about it (and, you know, money).  So I just wax, pluck, shave, and use my epilator.  I really want to get Vaniqa (why do I always automatically type "vagina" when I write that word? ;D) cream again, because it helps tremendously.  It's a cosmetic product though, so the insurance won't cover it, and I don't have $85 a month to spare. :P

Yeah, I would be the bearded lady in the circus if I didn't do anything. And with my DARK hair... 8-P But man, waxing hurts like a mudder!

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 10/26/11 at 4:31 pm

I'll be one of the freaks then

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/11 at 7:02 pm

I don't like the "Brazilian" look.

Written By: Howard on 10/26/11 at 7:52 pm

What's that?  :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/26/11 at 10:02 pm

Thanks guys for the comments. I only thought of the idea of a bit of lipo, and tummy tuck (for loose skin left from lipo). I just wanted to look thinner. It's not really about pleasing anyone. When I was younger I used to think a woman had to look a certain way to catch a man like Michael Jackson (and I do prefer my men on the skinny pale side) until I saw him marry Debbie Row and then I batted questions about why he married "that fat woman"  for about 3 years. I guess I just kind of measured my attractiveness by the men I attracted. (And when a guy told me that MJ specifically told him to take care of me, I ran for the hills) Like if the guy was good looking, I was good looking. If the guy looked like dammit to hell, I needed to change my make up or wear my hair differently. That's all. I just have a strange body image and concept because for so many years I was told by people, even strangers that I wasn't pretty or worth anything and stuff so sometimes I still have a hard time looking in the mirror. Like I see to do my make up but I don't really connect it to "That looks good" It's a thought of "Now i look presentable" So I'm still working on that.  :)

But thanks for the support.And who knows if i ever amass the kind of money to call for surgery, I just might invest it in something else. A car, a down payment on a house, a jacket Michael jackson wore...something else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/11 at 11:27 pm

What's that?  :D

That's what Google is for, Howard!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Written By: Howard on 10/27/11 at 7:06 am

That's what Google is for, Howard!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Ok Now I know what a Brazilian is.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/27/11 at 7:07 am

I happen to like it but not too much of it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/27/11 at 11:03 am

Teenagers and children should NOT be getting cosmetic surgery of any kind (unless medically necessary).  I was disgusted to read a story last week about a teenager who had a nose job because of bullying.  Instead of taking the bullying head on, her parents chose to give consent for plastic surgery.  What kind of freakin' message does that send?!

That's crazy!!  Sad, really.  I wonder if the bullying stopped or they just bullied her about something else. 

I knew a few girls who got nose jobs for Bat Mitzvah presents. I believe thats about 13 years old. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/11 at 12:34 pm

That's crazy!!  Sad, really.  I wonder if the bullying stopped or they just bullied her about something else. 

I knew a few girls who got nose jobs for Bat Mitzvah presents. I believe thats about 13 years old. 

I lived with my grandmother when I was 15. She told me that for my 16th birthday, she would give me a nose job. At the time, I was EXTREMELY self-conscience of my nose and from the time I hit puberty, I was teased merciless about it. I was seriously thinking of taking her up on the offer. However, when I turned 16, I was living with my mother & step-father and the offer was withdrawn. Was I sorry? Not at all. Of course, by the time I was 16, the teasing had diminished. Every now & again, I may make a reference to my "schnoz" (which I do get from my father), but I am not self-conscience about it at all now. I am glad that I didn't have it done.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/29/11 at 7:01 pm

I lived with my grandmother when I was 15. She told me that for my 16th birthday, she would give me a nose job. At the time, I was EXTREMELY self-conscience of my nose

What the hell is it with women and noses?  I've known leg men, boob men, and ass men (I must be an ass, man.  At least everyone I know says "Foo!  You're a real ass, man!"), but I've never met a nose man.  I know by Rule 34 they must exist, but there can't be enough nose fetishists to seriously make this something that every girl worries about by the time they get into Jr. High.  

But apparently there are enough girls worried about the states of their noses that this happened on national TV.

vfAvhFqWO58

I still don't understand what is with chicks and their noses, but any excuse to post Duck Sauce and simultaneously provide an answer the question at hand is a win in my books.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/30/11 at 12:37 pm

What the hell is it with women and noses?  I've known leg men, boob men, and ass men (I must be an ass, man.  At least everyone I know says "Foo!  You're a real ass, man!"), but I've never met a nose man.  I know by Rule 34 they must exist, but there can't be enough nose fetishists to seriously make this something that every girl worries about by the time they get into Jr. High.  

But apparently there are enough girls worried about the states of their noses that this happened on national TV.

vfAvhFqWO58

I still don't understand what is with chicks and their noses, but any excuse to post Duck Sauce and simultaneously provide an answer the question at hand is a win in my books.

You have to understand that teenage girls are obsessed with EVERYTHING!!!! And when your nose grows BEFORE your face does, it is like have a big zit right in the middle of your face that won't go away. And when you have people teasing you about it, makes it even worse. If no one teased me about mine, I probably wouldn't have had an issue with it.

It has a lot to do with how society treats girls especially. Any minor "imperfection" can cause a major meltdown-especially if that girl has low self-esteem to begin with. Girls are taught that beauty is everything. It is the pretty girls who get invited to parties, who get dates, who become Homecoming Queen, etc. etc.

It call be summed up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k39P2MK6WPo

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/30/11 at 2:54 pm

I don't think I've ever hated my nose to the point where I wanted to change it. I just thought it looked a little big when I smiled. Then a man told me I had a nice smile, and I forgot about my nose. But I don't get bothered by people who have nose jobs. Waving the MJ flag again, I know he altered his nose and albeit, I liked his post-op nose better than his pre-op one. And if it makes you feel better about yourself, do it. If I could afford it, I'd get lipo and tummy tuck in an INSTANT. And something done about my ass, I think it's too big. The Kim K ass may be in, but not for me.  :( LOL.

Written By: Howard on 10/30/11 at 8:18 pm

I don't think I've ever hated my nose to the point where I wanted to change it. I just thought it looked a little big when I smiled. Then a man told me I had a nice smile, and I forgot about my nose. But I don't get bothered by people who have nose jobs. Waving the MJ flag again, I know he altered his nose and albeit, I liked his post-op nose better than his pre-op one. And if it makes you feel better about yourself, do it. If I could afford it, I'd get lipo and tummy tuck in an INSTANT. And something done about my ass, I think it's too big. The Kim K ass may be in, but not for me.  :( LOL.

But that would cost a lot of money,you sure you could afford it if you had the time? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/30/11 at 9:53 pm

It call be summed up here:

No, here:

CTmpKgocyYg

Bonus trivia points: 1989's Heathers was originally titled Lethal Attraction, and the proof is at 2:50ish in the early trailer linked here.

On to more serious matters:  I wish I'd known in high school and college that girls weren't interested in impressing guys, but were more interested in impressing their (female) friends.  They had no interest in the guy per se - they only knew that if they got "the guy that their friend wanted", they'd rise in the hierarchy of their clique.

On to even more serious matters:  If you're a guy, the word "friends" in that paragraph about female clique behavior should be read as "most feared rival." When (male) friends have a beef, they settle it over a beer, some harsh language, and the occasional outbreak of fisticuffs, but that's that.  The next day, all is well, and amongst friends, it's rare that a grudge is borne for more than a week or two.  You should also know that any time a woman expresses interest in you, she's probably only interested insofar as she can use you to impress her friendrivals.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/11 at 11:13 am

Heathers may be about "In" clique, but it wasn't what many of us dealt with. Many of us were just trying to find a place to fit in.

No, here:

CTmpKgocyYg

Bonus trivia points: 1989's Heathers was originally titled Lethal Attraction, and the proof is at 2:50ish in the early trailer linked here.

On to more serious matters:  I wish I'd known in high school and college that girls weren't interested in impressing guys, but were more interested in impressing their (female) friends.  They had no interest in the guy per se - they only knew that if they got "the guy that their friend wanted", they'd rise in the hierarchy of their clique.

On to even more serious matters:  If you're a guy, the word "friends" in that paragraph about female clique behavior should be read as "most feared rival." When (male) friends have a beef, they settle it over a beer, some harsh language, and the occasional outbreak of fisticuffs, but that's that.  The next day, all is well, and amongst friends, it's rare that a grudge is borne for more than a week or two.  You should also know that any time a woman expresses interest in you, she's probably only interested insofar as she can use you to impress her friendrivals.

So, not true! If that was all you encountered, then you encountered the wrong women.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/11 at 9:28 pm

Heathers may be about "In" clique, but it wasn't what many of us dealt with. Many of us were just trying to find a place to fit in.

Ah, but that's what makes the movie work.  Everyone tries to find a place to fit in - regardless of clique.  (Amongst my mostly-male nerd friends, we settled alpha-nerddom by the code we wrote and our ability to remember obscure bits of D&D and science fiction trivia: in other words, we were no different than the jocks who settled their battles for group dominance on the football field.)

So, not true! If that was all you encountered, then you encountered the wrong women.

Probably so.  I was an antisocial nerd back in the day ("was?!  back in the day?!") and it happened so infrequently that - amongst our entire clique - we never collected enough data to achieve statistical significance until well after college.  :)

When we learned why you go to the bathroom in groups, we were freaked out to find out that y'all talked more smack about us in the washroom than we ever did in the locker room.  But it wasn't until much later that we realized y'all could be way more competitive within your cliques than we ever were.  Even though it had been staring us in the face since Heathers.

To put this another way:  No dude would ever call another dude a frenemy.  The concept doesn't exist.  Some of my co-workers (male or female) might be annoying or threatening rivals/competitors/screwups, and others might be friends/allies.  Some might have saved my butt and I owe them one.  Yet others might have screwed up and I try not to be dependent on their competency.  Some might be all of the above depending on which phase the project is in.  But "frenemies"?  Nuh-uh.  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/11 at 9:57 pm

No, here:

And when she says she just wants to be friends, she's inviting you to play the court eunuch!
::)

Written By: seamermar on 11/20/11 at 3:54 pm

I guess Hollywood has a lot to do with.  ::)  Since long ago stereotypes come more from films than elsewhere.

Most of the youth get obssesed about their look, but the pursuit of knowledge is a path that seems to lead nowhere to them.

Brain is nothing facing nice face. that's what many a young boys and girls believe and most of their parents too.

This tendence seems to weaken these last years.  Anorexia may have helped in the general change at the screens about adds.
Here in Europe, we start to watch girls walking the ranway (catway) with a nice meat hanging on their bones and some bends pointed neath in their clothes.

Love your nose, as it poses, don't be silly cutting it by surgery. I learnt about a silly man that lost his life over an operating table to reduce his belly.
He had won a big lottery prize, and had decided he couldn't look that fat with some millions in the bank, so he wanted shape and account in accordance. But there's things money can't buy and  things went so wrong that in the throes of having a better body he found himself to be in his very last throes.

So take care Tiff, it isn't that easy to take surgery, I have been through several operations to fix me up, and there's always some risks involved.

BTW  I love variety, and hate perfection, let surgery to fit health when it's not any other solution

Kiss your nose my simple girls, and shake hands to all of ugly men among I put myself, as well.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/20/11 at 5:48 pm

I guess Hollywood has a lot to do with.  ::)  Since long ago stereotypes come more from films than elsewhere.

Most of the youth get obssesed about their look, but the pursuit of knowledge is a path that seems to lead nowhere to them.

Brain is nothing facing nice face. that's what many a young boys and girls believe and most of their parents too.

This tendence seems to weaken these last years.  Anorexia may have helped in the general change at the screens about adds.
Here in Europe, we start to watch girls walking the ranway (catway) with a nice meat hanging on their bones and some bends pointed neath in their clothes.

Love your nose, as it poses, don't be silly cutting it by surgery. I learnt about a silly man that lost his life over an operating table to reduce his belly.
He had won a big lottery prize, and had decided he couldn't look that fat with some millions in the bank, so he wanted shape and account in accordance. But there's things money can't buy and  things went so wrong that in the throes of having a better body he found himself to be in his very last throes.

So take care Tiff, it isn't that easy to take surgery, I have been through several operations to fix me up, and there's always some risks involved.

BTW  I love variety, and hate perfection, let surgery to fit health when it's not any other solution

Kiss your nose my simple girls, and shake hands to all of ugly men among I put myself, as well.

Great post, Paco. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...